Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time

Graham Wellington posted:

Yesterday I listened to an episode where Carolla goes in-depth on his days of teaching traffic school at the "Lettuce Amuse You" comedy traffic school. You can hear his teeth grit the entire time, epic rant.

haha oh god that sounds wonderful. Any idea on the date?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Malachi Constant
Feb 2, 2006

I was a victim of a series of accidents, as are we all

Bender posted:

I got a chance to see The Hammer. Nothing great, but still decently funny. Definitely the best non-radio media Carolla's been involved with.

I just saw the Hammer.

It's hard for me to judge it as "just a movie" since I'm so familiar with all of his rants, which play out throughout the movie, but the ending, and the character archs certainly made it memorable for me.

Bender posted:

And to weight in on Stryker. Remember Adam reiterating the fact that the executives always wanted him to take "more calls?" It's obviously they had a direction in mind for the show, which meant more Dr. Drew advice, and less entertainment. Why hire someone who has the potential to be interesting and funny, when all you need is a trained monkey who can interview lovely bands and throw it to commercial break?

I think Stryker is the perfect person for what they wanted that show to turn into. It's sad for people who aren't 14 year old, sexually abused crack addicts, though.

I'm not sure what you're inferring by your last comment, but given radio politics, Stryker was probably the safest choice. Drew is generally bad at radio, but not a terrible interviewer, as he's shown on "Dr. Drew Live". When he really feels something for the subject he is adequite, but is not so good at interviewing random bands.

I don't think I ever listened to a Stryker show for more than 10 minutes. But that's probably all you need to grasp his role.

I hope he's at least hosting the show though, because Drew is the absolute worse when in the pilot seat and trying to interview someone, unless he's really in charge of the show. Good lord does he suck at that.

I'll echo what I said above that given the right person, Drew can do a decent job. He's not good at random interviews, and Stryker sucks, too. Adam Was able to inject unpredictable questions which kept it interesting. Drew's not a great probing interviewer but if he has specific targets he wants to know about, he makes and interesting show. Adam can make almost any interview interesting.

Graham Wellington
May 8, 2008

by Fragmaster
Amaaaaazing graaaace, how sweeeeet the BLAM BLAM BLAM

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

I don't know how many times Adam has mentioned it but the phrase 'Rogue Load' has come up more than once and my God Adam really gets into describing it in 2003-1-19 (around 40:20 in). I loving lost it at 'belly, belly, belly, cat'. Drew sounds hilariously uncomfortable during parts of the conversation.

Graham Wellington
May 8, 2008

by Fragmaster
Drew is fairly uncomfortable with anything sexual Adam talks about, but the poo humor always makes Drew lose it. I have no clue why. I imagine, much like anything discussed on Loveline, it can be traced back to something in Drew's childhood. Seriously, think about it. Drew always breaks into hysterics whenever Adam brings up poop, and whenever someone calls in about getting anal sex or a finger in the butt, he reacts with rage towards Cosmo and whatnot. I really wonder...

Rushmore
Jun 3, 2005

My name's Rushmore, and I'm the Biggest Idiot Ever!

Drew is fairly uncomfortable with anything sexual Adam talks about, but the poo humor always makes Drew lose it. I have no clue why. I imagine, much like anything discussed on Loveline, it can be traced back to something in Drew's childhood. Seriously, think about it. Drew always breaks into hysterics whenever Adam brings up poop, and whenever someone calls in about getting anal sex or a finger in the butt, he reacts with rage towards Cosmo and whatnot. I really wonder...

Poo is funny. Simple as that

c0ldfuse
Jun 18, 2004

The pursuit of excellence.
I'm literally listening to an episode a day and just realized how long its going to take me to burn through the entire archive, even considering I skip any episodes that both hosts are not present. I'm planning on going through the entire archive again with those shows once I finish it for the first time.

Graham Wellington
May 8, 2008

by Fragmaster

c0ldfuse posted:

I'm literally listening to an episode a day and just realized how long its going to take me to burn through the entire archive, even considering I skip any episodes that both hosts are not present. I'm planning on going through the entire archive again with those shows once I finish it for the first time.
You'll hear things you missed the first time, too. I've listened to some shows a bunch of times and still catch subtle jokes I missed rounds 1-10.

It's the perfect show for me to listen to at work all day. Got like 800 in the iPod.

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Jesus christ, Maneater really does blow.

Graham Wellington
May 8, 2008

by Fragmaster
Lesbian Wiccan is a Liccan. Perfect.

Even Drew not getting the joke and saying Wesbian was funny.

Holland Oats
Oct 20, 2003

Only the dead have seen the end of war

frankenbeans posted:

Ugh, tell me about it. I think they are posting them up as they finish recording them, so they go up in chronological order. Sadly, the iPod will only play them sequentially back to front. So if you start on part 2 on 'How say you?', it will start playing part 1 after.

It's annoying, because it means loving around with my iPod after every track.

The only other option is to wait until the show is done, and then post all the files, in the reverse order. But as far as I can see, that would only benefit iPod users, and would also look wierd.

Or you could join them all together yourself, into a single file. I might try this tomorrow.

Here's what you should do. Create a smart playlist in iTunes that matches the rules "Podcast is true" and "Album contains carolla." The podcasts will automatically go into that playlist and they should play them in order (click on the up or down arrow in the top left that's next to "Name" if it's in reverse order). And remember, your iPod can't be set on shuffle if you want the files to play continuously.

Jubs
Jul 11, 2006

Boy, I think it's about time I tell you the difference between a man and a woman. A woman isn't a woman unless she's pretty. And a man isn't a man unless he's ugly.
"AIDS Butler" is such an amazing show idea...

http://shows.lovelinearchive.com/Loveline%20-%202005-03-24%20(Guest%20-%20Nikki%20Ziering).mp3

Jubs
Jul 11, 2006

Boy, I think it's about time I tell you the difference between a man and a woman. A woman isn't a woman unless she's pretty. And a man isn't a man unless he's ugly.
Edit: Double post. :(

fishbone
Sep 25, 2003
I don't remember the date of this episode, but there was a young female caller that told an incredibly elaborate story about how she was outside smoking a cigarette during a surprise birthday party and a van full of mysterious men drove by and abducted her with the intent of raping her; HOWEVER, luckily she was on her period so they changed their minds. They DID however beat her and she suffered amnesia and woke up in a parking lot, and a kind woman found her and drove her home. She was unable to identify anyone from the van, and never asked the name of the woman that drove her home. Also, obviously no DNA evidence could be recovered since miraculously she was on her period.

Everything about her personality and story SCREAMED of "I crave attention and therefore I concoct elaborate and outlandish stories to generate sympathy". Another of her stories involved her best friend in culinary school spontaneously raping her.

The worst part about this call was that Adam and Drew COMPLETELY bought into it and never once questioned the shady facts or called her out on her obvious bullshit; instead they offered her sympathy and couldn't believe how much she had been through. I was absolutely shocked and dismayed that they didn't pick up on the fact that she was so full of poo poo.

Does anybody remember this caller, and possibly which date it was? It's the first and only time that I've been frustrated with Adam and Dr. Drew for not calling someone out on their bullshit.

Graham Wellington
May 8, 2008

by Fragmaster
No clue about that story, sounds awesome though.

I do remember a show where Bobcat was the guest and Dr. Bruce was there, and this 14 year old called about circumcizing himself. He couldn't really answer Adam's questions about sanitization or anything, and the kid was so obviously bogus. But Adam and Bruce went right along with it, never a question about it. Then a few days later some gal called in and criticized Adam for not calling him out. He of course completely forgot about the call, so oh well.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
They also bought into the call about the girl who had no legs with the boyfriend who had no legs.

A HUNGRY MOUTH
Nov 3, 2006

date of birth: 02/05/88
manufacturer: mazda
model/year: 2008 mazda6
sexuality: straight, bi-curious
peircings: pusspuss

Nap Ghost

fishbone posted:

I don't remember the date of this episode, but there was a young female caller that told an incredibly elaborate story about how she was outside smoking a cigarette during a surprise birthday party and a van full of mysterious men drove by and abducted her with the intent of raping her; HOWEVER, luckily she was on her period so they changed their minds. They DID however beat her and she suffered amnesia and woke up in a parking lot, and a kind woman found her and drove her home. She was unable to identify anyone from the van, and never asked the name of the woman that drove her home. Also, obviously no DNA evidence could be recovered since miraculously she was on her period.

Everything about her personality and story SCREAMED of "I crave attention and therefore I concoct elaborate and outlandish stories to generate sympathy". Another of her stories involved her best friend in culinary school spontaneously raping her.

The worst part about this call was that Adam and Drew COMPLETELY bought into it and never once questioned the shady facts or called her out on her obvious bullshit; instead they offered her sympathy and couldn't believe how much she had been through. I was absolutely shocked and dismayed that they didn't pick up on the fact that she was so full of poo poo.

Does anybody remember this caller, and possibly which date it was? It's the first and only time that I've been frustrated with Adam and Dr. Drew for not calling someone out on their bullshit.

I listened to this a short while ago, but can't remember the date; the best I can do is say it was somewhere in late summer/early autumn 2003.

fishbone
Sep 25, 2003

jvsclapius posted:

I listened to this a short while ago, but can't remember the date; the best I can do is say it was somewhere in late summer/early autumn 2003.

Did you get the same impression? Maybe I'm way off base thinking her story was complete bullshit, because it's unlike Adam and Dr. Drew to let something like that slide, but it seemed really fishy to me.

Graham Wellington
May 8, 2008

by Fragmaster
Just watched The Hammer. Very entertaining and funny as hell at times. Hokey at times but it was very good overall. Definitely a few good Carolla rants in there.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I also just saw the movie and it was great. Everything you've heard on the radio is true--way better than any Hollywood comedy in many years, R rating doesn't make any sense, very funny. It was good. I actually liked it. Adam was likeable!

frankenbeans
Feb 16, 2003

Good Times

Holland Oats posted:

Here's what you should do. Create a smart playlist in iTunes that matches the rules "Podcast is true" and "Album contains carolla." The podcasts will automatically go into that playlist and they should play them in order (click on the up or down arrow in the top left that's next to "Name" if it's in reverse order). And remember, your iPod can't be set on shuffle if you want the files to play continuously.

That's even better than the last idea. Thanks, man.

Grand Fromage posted:

Adam was actually likeable!

;)

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
There is something so irritating about the first caller on 5/22/03. Every narcissistic "you must know everything about me because the world revolves around me" caller in one.

c0ldfuse
Jun 18, 2004

Holy poo poo. I found the best person to replace Adam: Daniel Tosh.

Stand-up: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1MTXTHMtnXA&feature=related

On loveline:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7vbvYVzujXE&feature=related

fake edit
mid post I was looking up information and found this:

wikipedia-loveline posted:

After Carolla's departure, he was substituted on a temporary basis by numerous celebrity guests, some of whom announced their desire to take the job permanently. During his first appearance on Carolla's new morning show, Pinsky revealed that the shortlist of candidates included Carson Daly, Joel McHale, Danny Bonaduce, Steve-O, and Daniel Tosh[1]. On July 23, 2006, KROQ disc jockey Stryker was hired as Pinsky's co-host.

loving BULLSHIT. Though I think it means I know the show well if I hear a comedian and think he would be a perfect fit to see they interviewed him.

Bender
May 12, 2001

Fun Shoe
So the giant Loveline torrent (44GB or something) is missing the first half of 2002. Does anyone have a torrent with those in it? I'd hate to have to download them all from lovelinecentral.com, especially with no ftp access.

Graham Wellington
May 8, 2008

by Fragmaster
Does Drew have the same nonsensical haircut as Stryker or am I seeing things?

MajorMajor
Nov 11, 2005

Some people say you are Henry Fonda.

c0ldfuse posted:

Holy poo poo. I found the best person to replace Adam: Daniel Tosh.

Joel McHale was always one of my favorite guests/co-hosts too and he would have made an amazing replacement.

c0ldfuse
Jun 18, 2004

MajorMajor posted:

Joel McHale was always one of my favorite guests/co-hosts too and he would have made an amazing replacement.

Exactly. I watch the soup every week and have stayed home specifically on Friday night because I couldn't watch it Sat morning/night Sun morning/night.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

c0ldfuse posted:

Exactly. I watch the soup every week and have stayed home specifically on Friday night because I couldn't watch it Sat morning/night Sun morning/night.

Is this the Joel McHale that replaced John Henson? I can't stand talk soup now.

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

UltraRed posted:

Is this the Joel McHale that replaced John Henson? I can't stand talk soup now.

And you could stand the smarmy oval office that was John Henson? Whatever.

Everyone give a listen to the Aisha Tyler episode. She is relaxed, funny, and very smart.

Graham Wellington
May 8, 2008

by Fragmaster
One of Adam's more perplexing rants is when he goes off on the people who ask about the scrape on his car's bumper. Somehow that really strikes a nerve, gets him about as angry as he gets on LL.

Nemo
Feb 24, 2001

Uh! Double up Uh! Uh!

Judakel posted:

And you could stand the smarmy oval office that was John Henson? Whatever.

Everyone give a listen to the Aisha Tyler episode. She is relaxed, funny, and very smart.
Aisha Tyler is always a great guest, whether it's on Loveline or The Adam Carolla Show. She was great as a Talk Soup host too. She needs way more airtime.

I love Joel McHale. He'd have been a great replacement for Adam, but I'm glad he's on to bigger and better things than doing a radio gig every night until midnight.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Nemo posted:

I love Joel McHale. He'd have been a great replacement for Adam, but I'm glad he's on to bigger and better things than doing a radio gig every night until midnight.

Especially since it gives him time to do TACS every Friday. When he and Adam were doing the black preacher bit I thought I was going to suffocate from laughter.

The Pantheon
Apr 25, 2008

Mmm.
Just got home while listening to November 2001's Christopher Titus episode.

He's a great guest, really compliments Adam's wit, even gets Drew going but also is serious enough to be interested in the large medical brain that Drewski has.

But the best part was the caller who talked about her boyfriend the artist creating a character called Drip the Rapist.

Now, I'm not good with Flash, but goddamn I love writing, voice-acting and I want a Drip The Rapist cartoon so hard I could fissure. It would essentially be a chronicling of Drip's many miscellaneous adventures in finding rape victims, be they human or animal!

e:
Drip the Rapist! (He's our man!)
Drip the Rapist! (Yes he can!)
Drip the Rapist! (Don't resist!)
Or he'll drug you, tie you and rape you to bits.

The Pantheon fucked around with this message at 10:27 on Jul 4, 2008

Dingus Egg
May 23, 2005

Legend has it the world was hatched from a dingus egg.

Absolut Mike posted:

Does anyone know the origin of the drops

"I was just tryin' to get some dick"

That's from 2001-08-05, which is a brilliant no guest show, full of bizarre calls.

ezell nym
Apr 23, 2007

its that woo-woo

Lesbian Wiccan is a Liccan. Perfect.

Even Drew not getting the joke and saying Wesbian was funny.

Listening to Adam's rant about religion on the 3-14-2004 show. Hilarious. Anyone know anymore good Adam rants?

Malachi Constant
Feb 2, 2006

I was a victim of a series of accidents, as are we all

ezell nym posted:

Listening to Adam's rant about religion on the 3-14-2004 show. Hilarious. Anyone know anymore good Adam rants?

If you really like his rants you should go to his morning show archives ( http://www.971freefm.com/pages/1247.php ) and click on every one titled "This week in rage".

Jubs
Jul 11, 2006

I'm listening to the 05-22-2005 (http://lovelinecentral.com/mp3/2005/Loveline%20-%202005-05-22.mp3) and a cop calls into the show and says that "California Vehicle Code 21453(c)" gives you the right to make a left turn on a red left turn light as long as the main light is green. The call is about 80 minutes in.

ChubbyEmoBabe
Sep 6, 2003

-=|NMN|=-

Jubs posted:

I'm listening to the 05-22-2005 (http://lovelinecentral.com/mp3/2005/Loveline%20-%202005-05-22.mp3) and a cop calls into the show and says that "California Vehicle Code 21453(c)" gives you the right to make a left turn on a red left turn light as long as the main light is green. The call is about 80 minutes in.

I didn't listen so I don't know if it is a joke call or not but I checked the applicable law:

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/vctop/d11/vc21453.htm

quote:

(c) A driver facing a steady red arrow signal shall not enter the intersection to make the movement indicated by the arrow and, unless entering the intersection to make a movement permitted by another signal, shall stop at a clearly marked limit line, but if none, before entering the crosswalk on the near side of the intersection, or if none, then before entering the intersection, and shall remain stopped until an indication permitting movement is shown.

So no.

Nemo
Feb 24, 2001

Uh! Double up Uh! Uh!

ChubbyEmoBabe posted:

I didn't listen so I don't know if it is a joke call or not but I checked the applicable law:

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/vctop/d11/vc21453.htm

So no.
That's still a little ambiguous. After all, a left hand turn is permitted by a regular green light, so that'd count as "a movement permitted by another signal" if there was a green signal and a red arrow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChubbyEmoBabe
Sep 6, 2003

-=|NMN|=-

Nemo posted:

That's still a little ambiguous. After all, a left hand turn is permitted by a regular green light, so that'd count as "a movement permitted by another signal" if there was a green signal and a red arrow.

Like most laws it is kind of. The letter of it is basically saying if some other traffic control person or device is stating you can go (like a "flagger" or temporary signal), you can move without penalty. Trust me, if there was any ambiguity/loophole in the law which would allow people to get out of tickets for running a solid red turn arrow it would have been clarified long ago, especially in California.

E: To be clear I run em myself all the time I just don't like people thinking they can do so without risk of a pretty hefty ticket with points attached because of false information.

• Locked thread