Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005
Exactly how tight should a leather jacket be? I've got a size 42 Triumph Rivton that I like, it's comfortable but a little loose. I tried on a size 40 at Rocket Motorcycles in San Diego and it fit well, but pretty snug.

Should I have gone for a smaller size and a tighter fit? I'm wondering about the protection that the jacket offers and making sure that the CE armor in the elbows and shoulders stays put if it's needed.

For reference, the Triumph sizing catalog says that the 40 is made for my measurements more than the 42.

New to this so I'm trying to do the right thing here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
You should have, but it's not the end of the world. You want it tighter because the leather will typically stretch a little bit as it wears...My jacket was pretty snug when i first got it and now is on the loose side, although not enough to compromise safety. If you can exchange the jacket, do it. If not, just remember it for next time.

Drunk Pledge Driver
Nov 10, 2004
Go get a stand-alone back protector and it'll fit perfectly.

French Canadian
Feb 23, 2004

Fluffy cat sensory experience

Atomic Hotdog posted:

Looking for some boots and these seem cheap and very effective. They say racing boots- does that mean they'd be too much for commuting?
..Is there even such a thing as too much?

I wore my boots for an extended period of time (to my college graduation) and they are not good for that sort of thing. The special torsional control system squeaks very loudly after a while (you can put silicon lube on it but it wears off). And even though the soles are rubber there is no actual cushioning in the sole like in most shoes, so your feet just slam onto the hard ground and it starts to hurt after a while.

They are, however, very comfortable when sitting, and as such when riding as well. I don't know exactly what you mean by commuting but if you're okay with bringing extra shoes with you in a backpack then I'd recommend these boots. They are quickly put on and removed and for the price I wouldn't think twice.

Nait Sirhc
Sep 11, 2001
I got my mesh jacket from MotoDirect.com today and all I can say is loving AWESOME.

This thing is top-quality construction. With the liner removed, it's extremely light and air comes through to the point where it almost feels like you're not WEARING a jacket.

It also has good solid CE-rated armor for the elbows, spine, and shoulders. All this for $70 shipped, brand new.

I would HIGHLY recommend their mesh jackets to anyone on a budget. I'll get some pics later.

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug

Nait Sirhc posted:

I got my mesh jacket from MotoDirect.com today and all I can say is loving AWESOME.

This thing is top-quality construction. With the liner removed, it's extremely light and air comes through to the point where it almost feels like you're not WEARING a jacket.

It also has good solid CE-rated armor for the elbows, spine, and shoulders. All this for $70 shipped, brand new.

I would HIGHLY recommend their mesh jackets to anyone on a budget. I'll get some pics later.

Any chance you'd be willing to fall in it at 70 for me? 210 Denier nylon isn't exactly strong stuff. Most jackets are made from 600D at least.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

$70 is less than I pay for 4 liters of oil (transatlantic shipping not inc), so I am considering shopping there. Not for touring, but for my short range commute or other short trips in hot weather where the temptation to skip my heavier leathers is too big. Having a second kit for the random pillion is useful too. It's really quick to throw on right?

The Shep
Jan 10, 2007

If found, please return this poster to GIP. His mothers are very worried and miss him very much.
I just picked up a back protector,

http://www.motodirect.com/servlet/Detail?no=337

Motorcycle cover,

http://www.motodirect.com/servlet/Detail?no=339

And a tail bag.

http://www.motodirect.com/servlet/Detail?no=108

All for $122. Not bad. I don't think the back protector is CE approved, but it looks and feels sturdy, straps on nice and comfortable, and fits good under my A* jacket. The spine armor seems to be similar to the type on the icon field armor vest.

I'm satisfied.

Zenaida
Nov 13, 2004

Cmdr. Shepard posted:

And a tail bag.

http://www.motodirect.com/servlet/Detail?no=108

I'd be very interested in seeing photos of this on a bike.

Fantastipotamus
Nov 19, 2002

Nothing's wrong. Nothing is wrong. Everything is on track.
Picked myself up a slightly used Buell tailbag for $49.93 (the amount in my paypal account).

Pretty solid construction, haven't put it on yet though, just got it today.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

French Canadian
Feb 23, 2004

Fluffy cat sensory experience

Cmdr. Shepard posted:

I just picked up a back protector,

http://www.motodirect.com/servlet/Detail?no=337

Certainly something is better than nothing, but in this case, what if the rivets come off and stab into your back, or the plastic shatters and does the same? Maybe the straps will fail, as well?

The fact that every other manufacturer makes a similar product but charges twice as much, or more, concerns me slightly.

Edit: I just bought this Knox Contour spine protector. I don't know why this store sells Knox stuff so cheap compared to all other online stores, and I don't really care. I am pretty convinced that this is a hell of a deal.

This Knox RSK spine protector also seems pretty good given the price ($50). Webbikeworld did a review on it and other Knox protectors.

French Canadian fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Jun 27, 2008

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Coredump posted:

What kind of boots should I look for if I want a good mix of protection and price if I have really huge calves? I wear between a size 12 to 13 shoe in US sizes and my calves measure 20.5 inches around and my ankle is 11.5 inches around. Anyone got any recommendations?

Can I get another recommendation on this? The Oxtar Explorers are no longer made. I've found some TCX Explorer's but most of them seem to be at co.uk web addresses and I'm in the states.

teknicolor
Jul 18, 2004

I Want to Meet That Dad!
Do Da Doo Doo

Coredump posted:

Can I get another recommendation on this? The Oxtar Explorers are no longer made. I've found some TCX Explorer's but most of them seem to be at co.uk web addresses and I'm in the states.

dunno but there are quite a few TCX boots on newnough.com's site

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
Would a girl be able to buy men's boots and wear them successfully? New Enough's closeout Oxtars are left in my men's size and was seriously thinking about giving it a try. I wear a men's 5.5/6 so a 39 is perfect. Was wanting to get the gortex ones for an all around good boot.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
i don't see why not. feet don't have boobs, right? can i get a ruling here, tek?

teknicolor
Jul 18, 2004

I Want to Meet That Dad!
Do Da Doo Doo
Yeah I can wear men's boots. I also have big calves though so I have to me mindful of that and try them on in the shop. Different brands have way different sizing sometimes, so be aware that a 7 in Thor might be a little tighter than a 7 in TCX or something. If you buy from newenough they have a great return policy though, so that might work too. They also have a great internet team so if you want to ask them before you buy you definitely can. Some brands run narrow, like Sidi, so if you have small feet you may want to look there.

I would suggest emailing them first because I'm not sure what the policy is on returning closeouts.

e: tell me how they fit because mens 5.5 is what I wear too <3

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

teknicolor posted:

dunno but there are quite a few TCX boots on newnough.com's site

I mean TCX is cool and all, I'm just wanting a boot that will fit a big BIG calf specifically.

kcer
May 28, 2004

Today is good weather
for an airstrike.
Passed my practical test today, and when I got home the phone was ringing, it was the bike shop telling me my pants had just been delievered :waycool:

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

cheese eats mouse posted:

Would a girl be able to buy men's boots and wear them successfully? New Enough's closeout Oxtars are left in my men's size and was seriously thinking about giving it a try. I wear a men's 5.5/6 so a 39 is perfect. Was wanting to get the gortex ones for an all around good boot.

I pretty much have to wear men's boots, as I have gigantic loving feet. I wear a 9-9.5 in men's, translating to a 10-10.5 in women's depending on the brand. My other curse is that my feet are incredibly narrow (AA), so even if I do find women's boots in my size they automatically assume I am some huge :btroll: and are like D width. If only New Balance would start making motorcycle boots, I'd be happy.

In other news I bought this jacket, should be here next week. It seems to have good safety features (armor in shoulders, elbows, and back) and for the price it can't be beat. Should it really suck or not fit well I'll just send it back. It's starting to get to that time of year when the temps will hit 100, and riding around in leather is painful in city traffic.

SubponticatePoster fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Jun 27, 2008

teknicolor
Jul 18, 2004

I Want to Meet That Dad!
Do Da Doo Doo
Like I said before, Sidi brand bike boots are known for their narrow foot space. You might want to check them out. :)

p.s. ^5 girl riders

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde
There is a pair of not-Sidi-but-really-Sidi boots in the Bargain Basement I was thinking about getting. Only downside is they are really loud/colorful like a lot of sport boots. Upside is the red ones in my size are the cheapest ones.

Yes, here they are: http://www.newenough.com/closeouts/bargain_basement/set_up/setup_vision_motorcycle_boots.html

teknicolor posted:

p.s. ^5 girl riders
:hfive: (what happened to the :gurl: smiley?)

Manawski
Oct 20, 2003

HOW DO I MADE PUDDING

100 Years in Iraq posted:

There is a pair of not-Sidi-but-really-Sidi boots in the Bargain Basement I was thinking about getting. Only downside is they are really loud/colorful like a lot of sport boots. Upside is the red ones in my size are the cheapest ones.

Yes, here they are: http://www.newenough.com/closeouts/bargain_basement/set_up/setup_vision_motorcycle_boots.html

:hfive: (what happened to the :gurl: smiley?)

I've got a pair of those in black, and I really like them. They fit very snugly, and are a bit of a pain in the rear end to get on the first couple of times, but after you work them in a little, they're really nice, especially for the cost.

Since you have really narrow feet, I would guess that those are right up your alley.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Manawski posted:

I've got a pair of those in black, and I really like them. They fit very snugly, and are a bit of a pain in the rear end to get on the first couple of times, but after you work them in a little, they're really nice, especially for the cost.

Since you have really narrow feet, I would guess that those are right up your alley.

Thanks for the info, guess I know what I'm doing with my next paycheck!

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep
I picked up a neat POWERFIST brand fuel tank bag at Princess Auto yesterday for $7.99. Its surprisingly well constructed and even has a neat water bottle holder. The center has a hole that stretches over your fuel cap to secure it if you have the type that sticks out from the tank.

Perfect considering my old bike has absolutely no spots for storage at all.

More info here:
http://www.princessauto.com/moreinfo.cfm?TAG=102229&SCAN=CAN

They had some other fender and saddle bags as well as motorcycle covers if anyone is interested in purchasing some fine quality POWERFIST bike gear.

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now

teknicolor posted:

Yeah I can wear men's boots. I also have big calves though so I have to me mindful of that and try them on in the shop. Different brands have way different sizing sometimes, so be aware that a 7 in Thor might be a little tighter than a 7 in TCX or something. If you buy from newenough they have a great return policy though, so that might work too. They also have a great internet team so if you want to ask them before you buy you definitely can. Some brands run narrow, like Sidi, so if you have small feet you may want to look there.

I would suggest emailing them first because I'm not sure what the policy is on returning closeouts.

e: tell me how they fit because mens 5.5 is what I wear too <3

Wasn't sure if they made the calf area larger since a lot of men have well lager legs. :) New Enough is the only place where you can return closeouts and I love them for that.

teknicolor
Jul 18, 2004

I Want to Meet That Dad!
Do Da Doo Doo

Wasn't sure if they made the calf area larger since a lot of men have well lager legs. :) New Enough is the only place where you can return closeouts and I love them for that.

No they don't make the calf larger on all men's boots.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?
so where do I find some boots that actually look like normal shoes? Its seems like they come in two styles: flashy stupid looking crotch rocket boots, or greaser wafflestompers.

teknicolor
Jul 18, 2004

I Want to Meet That Dad!
Do Da Doo Doo

Armacham posted:

so where do I find some boots that actually look like normal shoes? Its seems like they come in two styles: flashy stupid looking crotch rocket boots, or greaser wafflestompers.

boots that look like shoes? or like boots?

http://www.newenough.com/boots/sport_street_touring_boots/icon/field_armor_chukka_motorcycle_boots.html
http://www.newenough.com/boots/sport_street_touring_boots/icon/super_duty_3_motorcycle_boots.html
http://www.newenough.com/boots/sport_street_touring_boots/sidi/scorpion_air_motorcycle_boots.html
http://www.newenough.com/boots/sport_street_touring_boots/joe_rocket/orbit_motorcycle_boots.html
http://www.newenough.com/boots/sport_street_touring_boots/joe_rocket/big_bang_motorcycle_boots.html

All of these at least resemble either boots or shoes.

also I don't know what wafflestompers are: do you mean shitkickers? You can't really have boot without shitkicking :o:

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?

teknicolor posted:

also I don't know what wafflestompers are: do you mean shitkickers? You can't really have boot without shitkicking :o:
thanks most of those are pretty nice.

by wafflestompers I mean like stereotypical biker boots.

teknicolor
Jul 18, 2004

I Want to Meet That Dad!
Do Da Doo Doo
np I should be like an honorary sales staff with all the newenough pimping I do :P

Veritas
Aug 20, 2003
ordered this today,

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/1/1/39/349/ITEM/Joe-Rocket-Alter-Ego-Jacket.aspx

saved $150 :dance:

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy
I just bought this mesh jacket in white off newenough

http://www.newenough.com/closeouts/mesh_jackets_and_pants/teknic/supervent_mesh_motorcycle_jacket.html

It's too drat hot, but I need something.

Pimping Giraffe
Feb 22, 2006
Forum Giraffe Pimper?
I'm getting my gear prepped for a motorcycle trip from Upper Michigan to Alaska with my good friend Thelonious in the near future and I've got a question for the gear junkies around here.

I don't like being cold and on our trip to California last summer that happened more often than I would have liked. I want to make the investment in heated gloves and a heated vest that share a hookup and are simple to use. The catch is that I am a poor college student and would like to spend around $200 total or slightly more on the whole shebang.

Recommendations would be well appreciated as I need to get on this gear purchasing kick asap because I will be going out of country for a short while and then leaving right away for the motorcycle trip. Thanks for any suggestions.

Turtle Parlor
Sep 12, 2005
village idiot

Pimping Giraffe posted:

Recommendations would be well appreciated as I need to get on this gear purchasing kick asap because I will be going out of country for a short while and then leaving right away for the motorcycle trip. Thanks for any suggestions.

I rode this winter in the mountains of NC. The only heated bit I used was heated grips on the bike itself. For my chest I used a XCR Gore-Tex shell over my leathers and then a layer or two under that. Some windproof pants and floofy wool socks and I was fine. The coldest day I remember it was 3.2 degrees fahrenheit when I left my house and a balmy 5 degrees when I arrived at work. 25+ mile commute too. Once I had my heated grips I was comfy at 10 degrees for however long I needed to be on the bike. I ride a supersport too, so no big windshield to protect.

I guess I'm saying is if you can keep a base layer of warm air against your skin (GOOD windproof material) and keep the outer layer from moving much (flapping from wind) your core temps should be okay. I only had trouble with my hands and keeping dexterity at a reasonable level. Gore-Tex windstopper fleece is worth it's weight in gold BTW, incredibly versatile for bike applications.

TheFonz
Aug 3, 2002

<3

TLG James posted:

I just bought this mesh jacket in white off newenough

http://www.newenough.com/closeouts/mesh_jackets_and_pants/teknic/supervent_mesh_motorcycle_jacket.html

It's too drat hot, but I need something.

My dad bought that after his accident. He seems to like it.

TheTrend
Feb 4, 2005
I have a descriminating toe

I'm selling my A* tz-1 suit. Its a 2 piece and its in perfect condition and is a great suit. Pics can be found on the SAmart thread here any questions post em up or e-mail me at ookie007@hotmail.com

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

A friend of mine and I are going to check out some left-over marked-down Schuberth S1s this weekend. Are they as good as folks say?

Drunk Pledge Driver
Nov 10, 2004

rope kid posted:

A friend of mine and I are going to check out some left-over marked-down Schuberth S1s this weekend. Are they as good as folks say?

No?

http://www.webbikeworld.com/r2/motorcycle-helmet/schuberth-helmet/

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Yeah I saw that review and I've also seen a bunch of other ones that contradict it -- especially on noise. I was hoping someone here had long-term experience with one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

huplescat
Jun 8, 2005

I bought men's boots initially, but after wearing them around the house and sitting on the bike realised they weren't going to cut it. I have fairly narrow feet and they felt like gumboots, not to mention they were stiff as hell so I would have struggled to operate the brake and gear pedal.

Now the owner of a pair of women's Dainese boots and am extremely happy with them, I'm wearing them now in fact cos they're keeping my feet warm :)

It really comes down to the shape of your feet. I did find that the women's ones are a bit softer and have more flex in them too which has made the world of difference to me, but you can get men's ones with the same movement if you spend a bit more cash.

Has anyone had any experience with a visor like this:

The helmet's a perfect fit (and, let's face it, awfully pretty), but the visor was also a big motivator for this model. I'm iffy on whether the tinted part will stay up in wind though or if it's designed well enough to accommodate it.

In order words: gimmick or practical?

If it works well I'll be thrilled because it means not having to wear sunglasses under the helmet or swapping visors on sunny days. If it doesn't I'll either pull off the tinted bit or get a whole new visor.

huplescat fucked around with this message at 10:04 on Jul 4, 2008