Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beleg
Oct 21, 2004
Thinking about making a thread to ask, but thought I should post here first. Anyone has any experience with 4-track recording on a Zoom H4? I've heard not so good things about the preamps for the external mics. I was thinking of doing some 4-track drums recording actually, this could be a cheap solution. I need opinions.

edit: ah nevermind. Just found out it can't actually do simultaneous 4-track recording!

Beleg fucked around with this message at 06:12 on Jun 20, 2008

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

.Nathan.
Jun 29, 2004

by Fistgrrl
So what's the real difference in latency between USB and Firewire? The Native Instruments Kontrol 1 looks nice, but since i'll be using it live i want as little latency as possible.

RivensBitch
Jul 25, 2002

avoid USB 1, otherwise my USB 2.0 access virus snow is actually getting better latency/stability than both my firewire mackie onyx 1620 or my firewire digi 002.

Either way you can get it pretty low, it's just USB 1.0 that isn't very stable at the lower buffer settings.

Stop Motion Dong
Jun 11, 2007
Not sure if this is the right thread to ask this, but I hope so.
I'm starting a home studio soon as a personal project of sorts. I've got some gear selected, is it any good?

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/MAudio-BX8a-Powered-Studio-Monitors?sku=603708
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/MXL-MXLV63M-Condenser-Studio-Microphone-with-Shockmount?sku=273158
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Behringer-Xenyx-2442FX?sku=631274
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Line-6-UX8-Toneport-Recording-Interface-?sku=241405

That's just the basics of it, really. I'm planning for it to be computer based, using Cubase. Opinions?

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe
What do you need the big mixer for if your audio interface has 8 inputs? Invest that money in your speakers.

El Miguel
Oct 30, 2003
For what it's worth, Stop Motion Dong, I've got the BX5a's (the younger brothers of the pair your looking at) and I've been very pleased. That being said, I don't really have much to compare them to, except to say that hearing my favorite records, even as mp3's, through those things was revelatory. For the money, not too shabby (for the pros, probably not worth much).

Steiler Drep
Nov 30, 2004
what?
How does that UX8 fare up compared to the Presonus Firepod? It's $100 which is a more attractive offer, however I'm unsure of its USB2.0.

At 8 mic inputs, I'm not so worried about audio quality or monitoring, as the only time I'd do that is to record a whole jam. But I'm safe on saying all of these inputs are going into individual tracks right?

Also, I wouldn't use the modeling software at all, as I doubt my computer is fast enough to model 8 inputs as well as record each of them. If I just use it as a standalone interface, It sounds good enough, right?

Lastly, can the toneport be used as a mixer without being connected to a computer? Just basic usage as connecting a bass and 2 mics for rehearsals. I'm thinking about selling my mixer and interface in change for this.

Mr Viper
Jun 21, 2005

Derezzed...
edit: nevermind, question answered on previous page

ScooterMcTiny
Apr 7, 2004

What's the opinion on 5400 vs. 7200 in laptops? I'm looking to upgrade my hard drive in my macbook, and can't decided whether to go for a 200GB 7200RPM drive or a 320GB 5400RPM drive. I could really use the extra space, and am on a 5400RPM drive right now, so I'm just not sure about the pracitcal implications of switching to 7200RPM drives. I do a slight bit of multitracking with ProTools on my laptop, and a bit of Logic/Reason work, but mostly use the machine for editing. Any thoughts?

.Nathan.
Jun 29, 2004

by Fistgrrl

ScooterMcTiny posted:

What's the opinion on 5400 vs. 7200 in laptops? I'm looking to upgrade my hard drive in my macbook, and can't decided whether to go for a 200GB 7200RPM drive or a 320GB 5400RPM drive. I could really use the extra space, and am on a 5400RPM drive right now, so I'm just not sure about the pracitcal implications of switching to 7200RPM drives. I do a slight bit of multitracking with ProTools on my laptop, and a bit of Logic/Reason work, but mostly use the machine for editing. Any thoughts?

Same question, but for use with Guitar Rig and Live.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
If you're tracking you should use a separate drive. Using the OS drive (even a 7200 RPM one) can lead to all sorts of problems.

Steiler Drep
Nov 30, 2004
what?

deviant. posted:

If you're tracking you should use a separate drive. Using the OS drive (even a 7200 RPM one) can lead to all sorts of problems.

I've been multi-tracking (3 tracks) for about 6 months on my macbook, and I haven't had any problems for now.

I'm on the verge of either getting a $200 AKG condenser or using that money for an SM57 and a better interface. I already have an SM57 and an M-Audio Pulsar small diaphragm condenser, but I've heard of dual SM57s on a cab makes things much better. So, what should I get? I would always be using 2 or 3 microphones.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

Steiler Drep posted:

I've been multi-tracking (3 tracks) for about 6 months on my macbook, and I haven't had any problems for now.

That's why I said that it can cause problems, not that it will. It's still not recommended, so if they're looking at new drives a separate drive would be the best bet.

Steiler Drep
Nov 30, 2004
what?

deviant. posted:

That's why I said that it can cause problems, not that it will. It's still not recommended, so if they're looking at new drives a separate drive would be the best bet.

Ah alright. But really is it better to have a USB drive over to using the one on the laptop? I've got a Western Digital 500GB external that I think runs at 5200RPM. Would running off that be better than the onboard drive?

Dr Rotcod
May 20, 2004
I see the consistently reoccurring disappointment and failure you will continue to cause yourselves.
Ah, the woes of being searchless.

I'm in desperate need right now of an efficient computer desk.

I have a dual display setup, the normal computer stuff, a digi003 control surface, a 61 key keyboard, and some small powered studio monitors. Once again, this needs to be a very efficient use of space.

Where should I go? I pray Ikea may have some stuff to help me out. Can anyone direct me to any discussions about desks and workspaces here on the forums?

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

Steiler Drep posted:

Ah alright. But really is it better to have a USB drive over to using the one on the laptop? I've got a Western Digital 500GB external that I think runs at 5200RPM. Would running off that be better than the onboard drive?

If you're only recording a few tracks it's probably fine. I'm pretty sure that 7200 drives a recommended though.

Try recording a bunch of tracks and see what happens :)

marrone
Mar 13, 2006

by Ozma
whoops

marrone
Mar 13, 2006

by Ozma
Is there anyway I can optimize my Logic 8 install? Even when I'm running just two software instruments through midi, the cpu will be maxed out and the sound will clip. I've got a 2ghz macbook, and when I run Reason by itself, I can have a butload of instruments and nothing will happen. Is Logic just hungrier or is something amiss here?

Steiler Drep
Nov 30, 2004
what?

marrone posted:

Is there anyway I can optimize my Logic 8 install? Even when I'm running just two software instruments through midi, the cpu will be maxed out and the sound will clip. I've got a 2ghz macbook, and when I run Reason by itself, I can have a butload of instruments and nothing will happen. Is Logic just hungrier or is something amiss here?

Try XSlimmer. It deletes the PPC part of the binary, so basically it doesn't run that part. Other than that, I don't know. I have a 2ghz 2gb Macbook and it runs just fine. Actually, I sometimes just leave it running and don't even notice it's running. Try reinstalling it or something.

How many instruments/VSTs do you have running when it's power hungry? Usually for me it's 10 tracks with an average of 2 VSTs each (like reverb and/or eq and/or some sort of modulation) and one of 'em is EZdrummer.

The Infinite Postma
Aug 30, 2005
like a lottery winner on acid
Quick, possibly dumb question:

If I buy a Korg Microkorg synth, can I use the MIDI-out to control notes in Live/Reason etc, as well as actually outputting the audio from it into my computer?

iamlark
Feb 24, 2007
huh?
Has anyone here used the SSL Duende yet? I'm looking at your Rivensbitch. I'm thinking about getting one for some better EQs.

Steiler Drep
Nov 30, 2004
what?

The Infinite Postma posted:

Quick, possibly dumb question:

If I buy a Korg Microkorg synth, can I use the MIDI-out to control notes in Live/Reason etc, as well as actually outputting the audio from it into my computer?

Yes. You set up one track as software instrument and the other as real instrument with the input of the line-in, set both to record, and there you go.

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

The Infinite Postma posted:

as well as actually outputting the audio from it into my computer?

Yes, but not with a single cable - you need MIDI in + out and audio out. Also, you can only record the audio with Live - Reason doesn't do that.

Street Spirit
May 20, 2001

Dr Rotcod posted:

Where should I go? I pray Ikea may have some stuff to help me out. Can anyone direct me to any discussions about desks and workspaces here on the forums?

I couldn't live without my Ikea Jerker desk. It seems like they don't make them anymore though. Maybe try ebay or craigslist?

ChristsDickWorship
Dec 7, 2004

Annihilate your demons

iamlark posted:

Has anyone here used the SSL Duende yet? I'm looking at your Rivensbitch. I'm thinking about getting one for some better EQs.
I haven't used the Duende so if you're asking about the hardware I don't know.

I have used the Waves SSL bundle, and honestly I was not impressed. I would end up just ditching all of their channel strips for Digidesign EQ 3s and another compressor because they ate up a shitload of processor and I didn't think they were particularly clean or predictable like their analog counterparts. When you used a lot of them it sorta seemed like maybe you were getting some "analog" sound, but I remember deciding it was just an increase in noise floor.

But hey, a lot of people swear by them and I did like the bus compressor plug-in (not sure if that comes with the Duende).

Elder
Oct 19, 2004

It's the Evolution Revolution.

Street Spirit posted:

I couldn't live without my Ikea Jerker desk. It seems like they don't make them anymore though. Maybe try ebay or craigslist?

It's pretty much the greatest desk ever. Ikea does not make them anymore, but you can find them on craigslist if you're patient. Be sure that you don't limit your search to "jerker" desks as most people won't know what they're selling. You'll probably have to look for Ikea desks and look through the descriptions.

iamlark
Feb 24, 2007
huh?

wixard posted:

I haven't used the Duende so if you're asking about the hardware I don't know.

I have used the Waves SSL bundle, and honestly I was not impressed. I would end up just ditching all of their channel strips for Digidesign EQ 3s and another compressor because they ate up a shitload of processor and I didn't think they were particularly clean or predictable like their analog counterparts. When you used a lot of them it sorta seemed like maybe you were getting some "analog" sound, but I remember deciding it was just an increase in noise floor.

But hey, a lot of people swear by them and I did like the bus compressor plug-in (not sure if that comes with the Duende).

The Duende does have the bus comp plugin. The thing that interests me about it is that was designed after the Waves SSL plugins so maybe SSL saw stuff and improved on it. The mini version is also cheaper than Waves and since it's an outboard firewire device, it takes the processing load off the CPU. I just saw a couple on ebay for super cheap, but it's not like I can afford to buy anything new anytime soon.

Chuck N. Awe
Oct 6, 2007
I'm going to update my studio in august with a new computer and a new audio interface.The computer will probably be an Imac 2.66 ghz, 20", because I want to use Logic 8 and OSX. Now, I know that this computer has had a lot of issues with firewire interfaces due to a bad firewirechip called agere lucent. So I'm wondering if any of you use an intel Imac with a firewire interface without problems? If so, what interface do you use, and is it good?

skeevy achievements
Feb 25, 2008

by merry exmarx
Q: What does it take to achieve quality 24/96 recording in a home studio?

It seems to me that achieving a quality 24/96 studio requires every link in the recording chain to perform, including instruments (mics mainly), preamps, interfaces and connections, PC power, hard drive speed and so on. Is there a solution for 24/96 in the home studio that doesn't require the equivalent of a Pro Tools HD system, and if so what are the details?

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

oval office Puncher posted:

Q: What does it take to achieve quality 24/96 recording in a home studio?

It seems to me that achieving a quality 24/96 studio requires every link in the recording chain to perform, including instruments (mics mainly), preamps, interfaces and connections, PC power, hard drive speed and so on. Is there a solution for 24/96 in the home studio that doesn't require the equivalent of a Pro Tools HD system, and if so what are the details?

An Mbox 2 Pro or 003 will get you 24/96.

RivensBitch
Jul 25, 2002

iamlark posted:

I think WanderingKid has one, but I don't. I love my TC Powercore, even if the virus plugin can be a hassle at times. I'd say the TC reverbs are unparalleled, the VSS3 has your classic digital sounds, and the DVR2 has your glossy super sheen reverbs. It's the exact same stuff that runs on the system $6000, but it's 1/6th the price.

iamlark
Feb 24, 2007
huh?

RivensBitch posted:

I think WanderingKid has one, but I don't. I love my TC Powercore, even if the virus plugin can be a hassle at times. I'd say the TC reverbs are unparalleled, the VSS3 has your classic digital sounds, and the DVR2 has your glossy super sheen reverbs. It's the exact same stuff that runs on the system $6000, but it's 1/6th the price.

Ah right on. I've been looking at the Powercore for a while, but never thought about it seriously. Currently, I'm big on the TL Native convolution reverb. I think it sounds fantastic. Really though, there's a part of me that wants to just stock up on old PCMs

marrone
Mar 13, 2006

by Ozma
I have a pretty decent a/v receiver. Is it possible I could use it as a preamp with a microphone, even though the receiver only has rca inputs?

I was thinking of using an xlr-rca cable to put the mic in an input, and connect my computer to the tape monitor input to record. Could this work?

Or would it be better for me to just take the mic and plug it into my line in with an xlr-trs cable?

ChristsDickWorship
Dec 7, 2004

Annihilate your demons

marrone posted:

I have a pretty decent a/v receiver. Is it possible I could use it as a preamp with a microphone, even though the receiver only has rca inputs?

I was thinking of using an xlr-rca cable to put the mic in an input, and connect my computer to the tape monitor input to record. Could this work?

Or would it be better for me to just take the mic and plug it into my line in with an xlr-trs cable?
There is no amplification happening from an input to the tape out.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

marrone posted:

You can't take an instrument level source and plug it into a line level input and expect amplification to take place.

nimper fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Jun 30, 2008

WanderingKid
Feb 27, 2005

lives here...

RivensBitch posted:

I don't have one but I do lust after one. Unfortunately its not at the top of my lust list (which grows ever greater the less money I have). That dubious honour has to go to the Sunsyn (and yes if you have one I will pay you an obscene amount of money to take it off your hands.)

Edit: speaking of reverb, number 2 on my lust list is an Eventide Orville which is quite simply the most spectacular effects unit I have ever heard. I maybe should have bid on the unit that eventually sold for 1.8 grand a few months ago on eBay but I cant afford a Sunsyn and an Orville.

Oh if I had both you would never see me again. My metamorphosis into ultra hermit nerd would be complete.

WanderingKid fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Jun 30, 2008

ChristsDickWorship
Dec 7, 2004

Annihilate your demons

WanderingKid posted:

Edit: speaking of reverb, number 2 on my lust list is an Eventide Orville which is quite simply the most spectacular effects unit I have ever heard.
Have you ever used their Eclipse? I am seriously starting to think about dropping way too much money on a personal rack of dynamics and effects. What amounts to a 1U H3000 would be nice, but I'm kinda worried about it being tough to navigate.

And since we're talking about spending our life savings, the rack I want will ideally be from top to bottom:
  • TC D-Two (I play with delays on the fly a lot and this thing is just too easy to use... some other delays sound better but the complicated series of delays you can set up with this thing in 15s is unbelievable)
  • Eventide H3000 (or Eclipse if I ever get a chance to play with one)
  • Lexicon PCM90 (just for drum verb)
  • SSL XLogic G Series Bus Compressor (pure magic on the stereo bus)
  • 2 Empirical Labs Distressors (or 4 ideally)
  • KT Square One Dynamics (8 utility compressors or gates)
  • 2 Drawmer DS201s (just for toms)
In these times we live in that investment will be better than the stock market, right? :shobon:

WanderingKid
Feb 27, 2005

lives here...

wixard posted:

Have you ever used their Eclipse? I am seriously starting to think about dropping way too much money on a personal rack of dynamics and effects. What amounts to a 1U H3000 would be nice, but I'm kinda worried about it being tough to navigate.

And since we're talking about spending our life savings, the rack I want will ideally be from top to bottom:
  • TC D-Two (I play with delays on the fly a lot and this thing is just too easy to use... some other delays sound better but the complicated series of delays you can set up with this thing in 15s is unbelievable)
  • Eventide H3000 (or Eclipse if I ever get a chance to play with one)
  • Lexicon PCM90 (just for drum verb)
  • SSL XLogic G Series Bus Compressor (pure magic on the stereo bus)
  • 2 Empirical Labs Distressors (or 4 ideally)
  • KT Square One Dynamics (8 utility compressors or gates)
  • 2 Drawmer DS201s (just for toms)
In these times we live in that investment will be better than the stock market, right? :shobon:

H3000 is ancient but alot of folks over at gearslutz swear by one thing: If you want to get the Flood/Eno sound then thats the one you want. The H7600, H8000, Orville etc apparently sound very different and are capable of very different things but I couldn't say - never met anyone with a H3000.

I've only heard the Orville and I am frankly just gobsmacked. The most unbelievable effects processor I have ever heard. I don't know about the H3000 but it looks similar to the Orville (at least superficially). The Orville is kind of fiddly to program. Its not a comfortable thing but then there are so many effects and they are so fully featured you really need to read the manual and toy around with every variable to get an idea of what it is capable of. Its definitely got a learning curve but the presets sound freaking incredible anyway. There I said it.

For some reason I expected the auction to go way past 2.5 grand but it didn't and someone got it for 1.8. I think maybe I should have bought it but I would have maxed out my credit card and I would die a little bit inside if a Sunsyn went up for auction and I couldn't pony up the dough in time.

An Orville or a H7600 or H8000 would do you for reverb, chorus, flanging, delay and that real time pitchshifting stuff (which is *insane*). You need never use anything else really. Seriously - go all the way. 5 grand. H8000. now.

We can put up our cardboard house later.

Oh yeah, check out this thread for some audio demos. It will make you cream your pants I'm not joking. And I don't even like the Andy.

WanderingKid fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Jul 1, 2008

ChristsDickWorship
Dec 7, 2004

Annihilate your demons

In a studio I might do something like that, but I would be buying my rack mostly for mixing live, and it would suck royally to have to navigate through an H8000 to get to all the different FX I might want to tweak on one little screen. Although believe me, it is tempting...

I am pretty familiar with the H3000 and pretty much all the Eventide stuff has the same navigation and programming. I'm just not sure about the Eclipse because its half the height. The studio I used to work at had an H3000 and many of the FX racks the audio company I work for now sends out to concerts have one in there. There are usually 3 or 4 other units that are easier to use in the rack and I'm always pressed for time at concerts, thus I rarely mess with the H3000 (just go to the TC M5000, SPX1000s and Lexicon PCMs that I know a lot better) so I'm a little out of practice. Most people stay away from them for straight up verbs because there are easier units to use for that and stick to the Eventide for the lead vocal. A lot of engineers straight up insert the H3000 (or whatever model) on the lead vocal channel instead of running it on an aux and just use the dry/wet mix in the unit to regulate the level on it.

The 7600 is the newer Orville isn't it? I don't think the Orville is in production anymore. I'm sure the newer stuff has more capability, but from what I've heard for the most part, Eventide is Eventide. The H3000 sounds incredible as well and the new stuff probably has better presets but from the samples you linked I didn't hear anything way more amazing than what I've heard out of an H3000 after someone took the time to tweak it out. I don't need anything more fancy than that probably, and that SSL bus compressor would get jealous if it wasn't the most expensive thing in the rack. :D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WanderingKid
Feb 27, 2005

lives here...
Yeah the 7600 is sort of what the Orville has become now. The Orville is no longer in production. Recently I've started to get a real boner for Eventide gear. This is coming from someone who produces nearlly all digital and in software. Theres just nothing in software that can do what an Ultra Harmoniser does. Its feisible. You would just need skynet to process the 20 second long reverbs and real time pitch shifting without your entire rig crashing.