Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

Anyone seen my ball joints?

Qweezy posted:

From what I've read, taking a Wrangler out stock isn't the greatest idea in the world.

Thanks for any help or advice!

A stock wrangler can go a lot of places, at most you may need better tires for some stuff but hit your limits first.

A stock wrangler kept up with H1's and Tricked out jeeps [with 35 and 37" tires and lifts] on black diamond trail near me, 2N17X with no issues. There was one or two spots he had to take the bypass around a tough obstacle, but it did well.

A stock wrangler is up there with an H1, Unimog, Defender, etc. As an out of the show room off road truck.

Besides, I see too many guys out there with 10-50 grand invested in their jeep that never go anywhere hard core enough that needs that equipment. Go stock until something breaks and replace it with something better.

Proper off road driving technique is just as important. An experienced driver in a stock truck will go farther then a new guy in an expensive rig.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

I just realized something. In two weeks, I have gone from wanting a $3000 car to a $3,000 yj to a $7,000 dana 44 equipped 4.0 tj to wanting a $300 budget booster and now a $750 suspension kit...

Seriously, you guys are poison.

NeerWas
Dec 13, 2004

Everyday I'm shufflin'.

NeerWas fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Aug 9, 2023

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Sindow posted:

Get stock and build your way up, that way you can customize your Jeep the best and know that you did it the right way, the first time. Measure twice cut once. :)

I am buying stock.. I will do all lifting and mods myself after I find a Dana 44 TJ. (buggers are hard to find for a good price!)

Braincloud
Sep 28, 2004

I forgot...how BIG...

Qweezy posted:

Also, I'd like to eventually take this guy out and do a littl off-roading. How much can I expect to spend to get started? From what I've read, taking a Wrangler out stock isn't the greatest idea in the world.

Thanks for any help or advice!

Take her off road. Do it. The TJ was meant for that!!

Also, keep those running boards on. I kept mine on my old TJ and figured I'd go until they were ripped off by a rock. They never were and actually worked as semi-decent rock-sliders. Just don't get too attached to them. (Little anecdote - I was on a trail with 3 other built Jeeps and my 'mostly' stock TJ. We passed some other people coming down and one person was all "How did you get that stock TJ up here? Holy poo poo! You still have your running boards?!") If you learn to drive it, that Wrangler will serve you well off-road.

Plus, having both tops is a boon. Keep the soft-top on in the summer months and throw the hard-top on in the winter.

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

InitialDave posted:

*In the USA.

Yes The Defender is pretty badass. But throw me a decision between a 2008 Rubicon and a 08 Land Rover Defender and its a hard choice.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

spiralbrain posted:

Yes The Defender is pretty badass. But throw me a decision between a 2008 Rubicon and a 08 Land Rover Defender and its a hard choice.
In terms of "I want to go off-road", which is the sense in which I meant, yes. But in terms of "I have to pay for it out of my own pocket and daily-drive it", the Jeep has a real advantage, especially now there's the LWB version. Though the base model is CRD/manual only, and the Rubicon is V6/auto only, which seems a bit backward to me.

Hmm, the Jeep USA site lists a RHD Wrangler as a standard model, and it undercuts the UK base model by $16,000. Interesting...

VVVV: My posts tend to be very :britain:-flavoured. Yeah, the UK Rubicon is petrol/auto only, in a country where the majority of serious offroaders swear by manual 'boxed diesels. What's that about? :confused:

InitialDave fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Jul 2, 2008

Braincloud
Sep 28, 2004

I forgot...how BIG...

InitialDave posted:

... and the Rubicon is V6/auto only...

No, you can get the Rubicon Unlimited with the 6-speed manual (in the US anyway, don't know about anywhere else).

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

ethanol posted:

I just realized something. In two weeks, I have gone from wanting a $3000 car to a $3,000 yj to a $7,000 dana 44 equipped 4.0 tj to wanting a $300 budget booster and now a $750 suspension kit...

Seriously, you guys are poison.

Get used to it. My wish list is a lot bigger than my budget.

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

InitialDave posted:

VVVV: My posts tend to be very :britain:-flavoured. Yeah, the UK Rubicon is petrol/auto only, in a country where the majority of serious offroaders swear by manual 'boxed diesels. What's that about? :confused:

Yeah they did it all wrong here. They didn't listen to their customers (no surprise) and make a stick diesel version. People would have paid handsomely for, I know I would have.

Can you get the defender in a stick??

**Interesting tidbit, the engine that is in the new defender is also out of a minivan!! haha!! :D

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Hey guys, I just found a 97 TJ 4.0L with 82000 miles. It DOESN'T have a dana 44, but the price seems pretty drat good. $4200.

What do yall think?

Braincloud
Sep 28, 2004

I forgot...how BIG...

ethanol posted:

Hey guys, I just found a 97 TJ 4.0L with 82000 miles. It DOESN'T have a dana 44, but the price seems pretty drat good. $4200.

What do yall think?

What's wrong with it? That seems awfully low for a 97 with that few miles. Unless the owner is just trying to get rid of it because of gas mileage.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Braincloud posted:

What's wrong with it? That seems awfully low for a 97 with that few miles. Unless the owner is just trying to get rid of it because of gas mileage.

As far as I can tell, nothing. I'll of course drive it before I get near to buying it.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

spiralbrain posted:

Can you get the defender in a stick??

**Interesting tidbit, the engine that is in the new defender is also out of a minivan!! haha!! :D
Defender is manual only unless you go for an aftermarket conversion, and the only engine is the Ford diesel - It's from a Transit, which is more a normal panel van than a minivan, and with the anti-stall system is apparently very, very good.

Braincloud
Sep 28, 2004

I forgot...how BIG...

ethanol posted:

As far as I can tell, nothing. I'll of course drive it before I get near to buying it.

Hmmm... well, definitely get a carfax and a mechanic to check it over. At that price, something seems amiss. I would personally be tempted to pick it up and make it into a dedicated trail rig. $4200 is cheap!

NeerWas
Dec 13, 2004

Everyday I'm shufflin'.

NeerWas fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Aug 9, 2023

Qweezy
Mar 12, 2008

by Livestock
Thanks for the help, guys. Looks like the deal's going through this week, and I'll be posting some nice shots once the Jeep is safe in my driveway.

Boomerjinks posted:

Sorry to bring this back up after so many pages, but good God man, that looks great! I actually began my love affair with Jeeps after watching Jurassic Park at the age of 10. It's been all downhill from there. Nice job!

Also, I was wondering what the general consensus here is on the 4-door Wranglers. Part of me loves the idea; it's like the Cherokee/Wrangler hybrid I've always wanted. But part of me just can't help feeling that it's almost too much of a departure. I'd be interested to hear all of your opinions.

Boomerjinks
Jan 31, 2007

DINO DAMAGE
Does no one has any ideas on what those straps on my seats are for?

The King of Swag
Nov 10, 2005

To escape the closure,
is to become the God of Swag.

Qweezy posted:

Also, I was wondering what the general consensus here is on the 4-door Wranglers. Part of me loves the idea; it's like the Cherokee/Wrangler hybrid I've always wanted. But part of me just can't help feeling that it's almost too much of a departure. I'd be interested to hear all of your opinions.

Personally, I can't stand them, but I suppose I could see the use for them. Sadly, I think the increased length will hinder you for more serious off-roading.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

The King of Swag posted:

Sadly, I think the increased length will hinder you for more serious off-roading.

There are a few obstacles on some well known trails where the opposite is true as well. I remember seeing one that's regularly shown in Four Wheeler where there are some steps that are almost perfectly aligned with the wheelbase of a standard Wrangler, making it an absolute bitch to climb with those but trivial for most anything else.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I need new wheels for my Cherokee!

I lent my Jeep to my sister who proceeded to curb the ever living poo poo out of the passenger side wheels, losing both hubcaps, scouring the tires and gouging the poo poo out of the actual wheels. So I'm pissed but she's going to pay me for the damages so I figure, why not go the distance and finally put some slightly bigger wheels and tires on there?

I'm not thinking a huge lift with 30" tires, just slightly beefier than stock as I don't have time to offroad as much as I'd like. What's I'd like is a reasonable recommendation for mild offroad and daily driving wheel/tire combo. I know you'll all suggest it but I'm not really interested in doing a lift kit, just slightly bigger wheels.

MrZig
Aug 13, 2005
I exist onl because of Parias'
LEGENDARY GENEROSITY.

Rhyno posted:

I need new wheels for my Cherokee!

I lent my Jeep to my sister who proceeded to curb the ever living poo poo out of the passenger side wheels, losing both hubcaps, scouring the tires and gouging the poo poo out of the actual wheels. So I'm pissed but she's going to pay me for the damages so I figure, why not go the distance and finally put some slightly bigger wheels and tires on there?

I'm not thinking a huge lift with 30" tires, just slightly beefier than stock as I don't have time to offroad as much as I'd like. What's I'd like is a reasonable recommendation for mild offroad and daily driving wheel/tire combo. I know you'll all suggest it but I'm not really interested in doing a lift kit, just slightly bigger wheels.

Huge lift with 30" tires? What kind of huge lift are you thinking of? 30" is pretty small in the world of off road tires. If you want slightly larger than stock with NO chance of rubbing, as long as your suspension isnt sagged, then go with 235/75/r15.

30" will be the most a stock cherokee can do with minimal rubbing. 31+ will rub lots without lifts and bumpstopping.

Personally I'd go with 235's if you want no chance, and 30" if you dont mind adding a bigger bumpstop or a washer to your steering stop IF it rubs. Nothing major.

Also for tire choice I'd go with BFGoodrich All Terrain T/A KO. Very popular tire, long tread life, not much noise, decent off road traction, and good in snow.

Tossed_Salad_Man
Feb 19, 2002

You Gon' Get Raped.
Never buy a jeep at the beginning of a model year.

87 YJ still figuring out what the gently caress they were gonna use on this thing.
97 TJ some electrical problems and a few other transitional problems.
07 JK some of these burst into flames while driving down the road.

Sure the 07 has recalls to to fix any problems but so far Jeep has stayed true to the beginning model year woes.

If you wanted a YJ I'd say 92-95 w/ 4.0 a TJ Id say 00-04 /w 4.0.

As for mounting dollar amounts.

JEEP

Just Empty Every Pocket
or
Jeeps Eat Every Penny

With a TJ a BB and some 31's would be awesome. Throw an aussie locker up front, and BAM. awesome. (ps sway bar disconnects)

As soon as I get my diamond plate cut and sent back to me I'll be posting about my cheapo home brew tube fenders.

Will regular metal blades on a sawzall cut through 3/16 inch steel? Will I need lots of blades? I do not have access to plasma.(I have to shorten my rocker guard/sliders)

Tossed_Salad_Man fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Jul 3, 2008

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

MrZig posted:

Huge lift with 30" tires? What kind of huge lift are you thinking of? 30" is pretty small in the world of off road tires. If you want slightly larger than stock with NO chance of rubbing, as long as your suspension isnt sagged, then go with 235/75/r15.

30" will be the most a stock cherokee can do with minimal rubbing. 31+ will rub lots without lifts and bumpstopping.

Personally I'd go with 235's if you want no chance, and 30" if you dont mind adding a bigger bumpstop or a washer to your steering stop IF it rubs. Nothing major.

Also for tire choice I'd go with BFGoodrich All Terrain T/A KO. Very popular tire, long tread life, not much noise, decent off road traction, and good in snow.

I said not huge lift! There's a guy driving around town with a towering Cherokee that looks like it's going to tip over at every turn. I'm not looking to add much more than an inch or two to my ride height. Upgraded suspension is planned as well, probably in the fall.
Something I forgot to ask before, as I've never bought new wheels before ever are there brands I should avoid? What would you recommend in new wheels?

Tossed_Salad_Man
Feb 19, 2002

You Gon' Get Raped.

Rhyno posted:

I said not huge lift! There's a guy driving around town with a towering Cherokee that looks like it's going to tip over at every turn. I'm not looking to add much more than an inch or two to my ride height. Upgraded suspension is planned as well, probably in the fall.
Something I forgot to ask before, as I've never bought new wheels before ever are there brands I should avoid? What would you recommend in new wheels?

My old 91XJ.

It had a Pro Comp 2" lift, which was new coils up front add a leaf in the rear. It rode like a tank, but that's why pro comp is called pro crap. Those were AR outlawIIs and BFG 30.9.50s. Ramsey winch and bumper/grille guard.

As for wheels go to 4wd.com or quadratec and look at the wheels there. Since most are jeep centric. I think the pattern should be 5x5.5.

OneOverZero
Oct 14, 2005

JET FUEL CAN'T MELT SEALED BEAMS

Rhyno posted:

I said not huge lift! There's a guy driving around town with a towering Cherokee that looks like it's going to tip over at every turn.
Random, but there's a Patriot Blue '99-'01 Sport here in Knoxville that is easily 9-10" higher than stock on OE control arms. Fuckers are at like a 50 degree angle, the tires ripped off the fenders since the stock arms run them so far back, and the front axle is waaay out of line on the factory track bar. Blocks in the rear, of course, probably 6" or so. Utterly horrifying. The tires were around 35"ish on factory wheels, making it look like a wounded giraffe.

I saw it twice and never again. I should check the junkyard next time I'm there.

OneOverZero fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Jul 3, 2008

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Tossed_Salad_Man posted:

My old 91XJ.

It had a Pro Comp 2" lift, which was new coils up front add a leaf in the rear. It rode like a tank, but that's why pro comp is called pro crap. Those were AR outlawIIs and BFG 30.9.50s. Ramsey winch and bumper/grille guard.

As for wheels go to 4wd.com or quadratec and look at the wheels there. Since most are jeep centric. I think the pattern should be 5x5.5.

I should've said not to post any pictures.

drat you. Now I want bigger. And a winch. And a new bumper.

drat you.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Well, drat.. I may need to delay my jeep a bit and buy this cheap nova ss, resell it and make 10 grand...

MrZig
Aug 13, 2005
LEGENDARY GENEROSITY.
Bolt pattern for stock XJ/YJ/TJ is 5x4.5 I think.

murphle
Mar 4, 2004

Tossed_Salad_Man posted:

Will regular metal blades on a sawzall cut through 3/16 inch steel? Will I need lots of blades? I do not have access to plasma.(I have to shorten my rocker guard/sliders)

Yes, they will cut 3/16" steel, albeit slowly. I'm partial to the Milwaukee brand "Torch" metal cutting sawsall blades. If you're cutting fairly long straight lines, consider a metal-cutting abrasive saw blade for your 7" circular saw, or a metal-cutting abrasive blade for your angle grinder.

This is an abrasive circular saw blade, if you're not familiar with them:
http://www.mikestools.com/DW3511-DeWalt-7-x-1-8-Metal-Abrasive-Saw-Blade.aspx
Commonly available at most home improvement stores, welding supply shops etc.

MrZig
Aug 13, 2005
LEGENDARY GENEROSITY.
Local classifieds:

quote:

1946 WILLYS CJ2A Jeep. Great body, spare front axle, spare set of wheels. Too many projects, it's got to go. Not running but would not take much to get it going. Has trailer hitch, can be towed by car. $2500. obo. Call 250-470-3668

I've been wanting an old Willy's for awhile.. There's one a few blocks away from my house too, though it's not for sale. I'd love an old Willy's, and it seems like it's pretty cheap too. Hm. If anyone lives in the Okanagan (BC) area, buy it!

..then give it to me.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

If I get the Superior Super Dana 35 kit, can I keep ABS?

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

Rhyno posted:

I should've said not to post any pictures.

Yeah you should have.
5.5" lift on 33" tires and loving every minute of it.

Jack_Handey
Jun 3, 2003

My goodness what am I doing here?
Guess what guys, I killed a 4.0 today. I loving hydrolocked it and threw the #1 rod straight out of the oilpan. Anyone want to buy my Jeep for parts?

The King of Swag
Nov 10, 2005

To escape the closure,
is to become the God of Swag.

Jack_Handey posted:

Guess what guys, I killed a 4.0 today. I loving hydrolocked it and threw the #1 rod straight out of the oilpan. Anyone want to buy my Jeep for parts?

You must have completely filled the cylinders with water. Wow.

NeerWas
Dec 13, 2004

Everyday I'm shufflin'.

NeerWas fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Aug 9, 2023

Jack_Handey
Jun 3, 2003

My goodness what am I doing here?

The King of Swag posted:

You must have completely filled the cylinders with water. Wow.

Thats the thing, I didn't, only the first cylinder had water in it, and I didn't dare to try and start it without pulling the plugs first. When I cranked it over to shoot the water out I heard an awful CLUNK and looked at the oilpan and saw two holes in it right under my #1 cylinder. I must've just gotten really unlucky because I've had Jeeps get a LOT more water in them and run fine afterwards, and I've definitely been through deeper holes and been fine.

So really, how much do you guys think I could get for a stripped 91 XJ with a blown motor, AX15 tranny, 3" lift, almost new 33's, non-disco 30 front, and a welded D44 rear?

Slack3r
Feb 20, 2004

Jack_Handey posted:

Thats the thing, I didn't, only the first cylinder had water in it, and I didn't dare to try and start it without pulling the plugs first. When I cranked it over to shoot the water out I heard an awful CLUNK and looked at the oilpan and saw two holes in it right under my #1 cylinder. I must've just gotten really unlucky because I've had Jeeps get a LOT more water in them and run fine afterwards, and I've definitely been through deeper holes and been fine.

So really, how much do you guys think I could get for a stripped 91 XJ with a blown motor, AX15 tranny, 3" lift, almost new 33's, non-disco 30 front, and a welded D44 rear?

That sucks. Where ya located?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Jack_Handey posted:

I'd purchase it if you live within 200 miles of me, needed one with an AX15 for my next conversion project

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vaporware
May 22, 2004

Still not here yet.

MrZig posted:

Local classifieds:

I've been wanting an old Willy's for awhile.. There's one a few blocks away from my house too, though it's not for sale. I'd love an old Willy's, and it seems like it's pretty cheap too. Hm. If anyone lives in the Okanagan (BC) area, buy it!

..then give it to me.

For $2500 you had better be getting that GREAT body he's talking about. EACH rusted out body panel takes around $750-1000 off the total value of a willys. Everything except the front fenders and the hood is the body tub and you're talking chop and weld to replace things like the rear wheel wells.

I'd take a look at it, but it's not a great deal for a nonrunning 60 year old car.