Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mannex
Apr 12, 2006

IanTheM posted:

The synth bass you used sounds really weak. Replace it with something dirty and loud that will make people poo poo their pants.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rkelly
Sep 7, 2003

archie posted:

i'll stick with my machinedrum. the mono machine isn't a machinedrum, it's a mono machine :) they are both made by https://www.elektron.se

drat! i have the 8th SPS1-UW MKII machinedrum made, i demand an analog refit (retrofit?)!

:D

8) My bad. I stand corrected. I hosed around with the one with the keyboard on the right, I forgot the name. I need that poo poo so bad.

The analogness is why I like the Linn drum one.

Mannex
Apr 12, 2006

If anyone is interested in psychedelic analog monosynths, check out Black Moth Super Rainbow. They use old synths, a bass, and drum samples.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=fmvOA_-cJnw&feature=related

http://youtube.com/watch?v=NPC4ayinQQs&feature=related

http://passionweiss.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/04/09-dirt-featuring-aesop-rock-1.mp3

A lot of the sounds are very simple to replicate, using basic filter envelopes and effects. It's really fun to listen to and reverse-engineer.

archie
Sep 16, 2003

Mr Lee! Why You No Wear Uniform?
IanTheM - sounding nice mate

dunno about that dirty bass thing - you don't want to turn it into yet another electro tune

you should probably make a 'club mix' but definitely do whatever you feel is right with the original!

for a club mix or what-not, instead of getting into it so quickly you should do the ol' four bars then introduce an element routine (in your original it all happens probably twice as quickly). this'll align it with how all the other club songs are (pretty much) so mixing won't be a problem at all.

open up a few club mixes / tunes you like in an audio editor and see how they look (as far as eq) and you'll notice they all have pretty much the same build ups and loud bits and so-forth

rkelly - yeah a mono machine would be awesome indeed. actually pretty much any bit of gear would be awesome haha

Altoidss
Jun 7, 2007
Curiously Strong
Alright, I haven't posted here in a while, but I have been working and this is the first song I've come up with that I'm not humiliated to post here:

It's still definitely a work in progress. I need to come up with a good break and build so it goes somewhere, right now it's too static. But this is what I have so far. Tell me what you think!

IanTheM
May 22, 2007
He came from across the Atlantic. . .

Altoidss posted:

Alright, I haven't posted here in a while, but I have been working and this is the first song I've come up with that I'm not humiliated to post here:

It's still definitely a work in progress. I need to come up with a good break and build so it goes somewhere, right now it's too static. But this is what I have so far. Tell me what you think!

Pretty well produced I think, though the beat is pretty generic I think and could use more detail. I'd say it needs more elements perhaps. and at least some variation in your loops to make it more interesting. You've got something you can improve upon though, so that's good just needs more character,

Mannex
Apr 12, 2006

Altoidss posted:

Very nice. Maybe make the hat do a little pattern or something instead of straight 16th notes. Or just alter the velocity of it.

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

North American Turtle Boy Love Association

The Fog posted:

IMO, the problems with trackers is that they're a pain to work with if you're dependent on samples other than one shot samples. There's no good way to zoom in or out of a project which makes it hard to find mistakes in the arrangement. There's no good way to record samples (in a tracker which is MADE for samples nonetheless), so if you're trying to do any original work with vocals, you'll really have to work a lot just to get things going.
TBH, I see no reason (but it's possible if you really must) to use trackers if your goal is to make serious/pro-quality music as the other DAWs are better for that.
Some people like the routing capability that Buzz offers, but you can do the same with inserts and sends in any DAW, so I see no reason to use Buzz either TBH.

Renoise has line in recording and decent sample editing. Zooming in or out of a project is a curious way of stating it. You can immediately skip to any pattern, and see your entire pattern arrangement in a list, so it's rather quick to access a specific point. I will agree that (currently) samples that stretch across multiple patterns are a bit tricky to work with. Although Renoise is addressing that soon(ish?).

There isn't any reason to use Renoise over something else but there's also no reason NOT to use it if you're comfortable with it. I can edit with the keyboard much faster in Renoise/trackers than most people can in a point and click in a more traditional DAW, for instance. And it does everything else. It handles VSTs perfectly, has a great range of automation tools, MIDI control, multi track audio input, effects send busses, etc. It also has a pretty much unrivaled (at least it was about a year ago) audio rendering engine in Arguru's Sync. Zero alias repitching of samples when exporting using it. It's more accurate than the best samplers on the market.

If the interface is something that you connect with it's every bit as capable as any other DAW.

The Fog
Oct 10, 2004

-I spent the whole day trying to pull a peanut from that heater vent. Turns out it was just a moth. -How was it? -Dry.
I've actually worked in trackers for about 6 years and Cubase for 3 years. The moment I switched to Cubase, I could see the tracks on a whole new level. This visual aid helped me a LOT, because all of a sudden I could see the structure (which I previously had to listen through the whole song for). All of a sudden arrangement became a breeze.

I've used Renoise after that and I think it's quite a capable tracker. The best I've tried imo. The only problem I have with it is that you're unable to zoom out and see where you've put each part.
Also aligning samples so they end exactly at the end of the bar (without having to resample or anything like that) is very hard in those trackers as well. Also making stuff that's not quantized (like shuffled loops, DnB's ghost snares) is impossible. Only thing you can do is shuffling the ticks per beat, but that will lower the BPM to a number that's hard to calculate and is not necessarily what you're looking for. I guess what I mean is that if you're working with loops or want to spice things up, trackers are a pain to work with. You can't extract groove patterns from loops like you can in other DAWs like Cubase.

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

There's actually a collection of sliders for shuffled loops/non quantized beats in Renoise. Also, you can get sub tick resolution of timing (for extremely precise, perhaps even moreso than in a regular DAW) non-quantized beat placement with the DXX pattern command.

Also, in Renoise anyhow, you can label every row on the pattern arranger, so if you want to know where you are in a song, just note it on the pattern arranger and it will tell you by looking at it.

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
I'm finally getting around to messing with making music after asking about it a while back. I have a great song idea and it sounds good in my head. Too bad I get it in my head while I'm at work. I get home and get on the comp to make it and I can't remember how it went after the opening bass. Ugh.

Using the piano roll is kind of a pain. It's hard to just mess around with melodies and stuff if you have to draw them in. I should pick up a cheap midi keyboard or something, that would really help me out.

Listening to the samples you guys are posting of your works in progress makes it seem like everyone is making dance type stuff. Do any of you make more noisy industrial-ish songs that sound like Skinny Puppy, NIN, Front Line Assembly synths and harsh noises? I'm still not sure how to get sounds like that.

The Fog
Oct 10, 2004

-I spent the whole day trying to pull a peanut from that heater vent. Turns out it was just a moth. -How was it? -Dry.

toadee posted:

There's actually a collection of sliders for shuffled loops/non quantized beats in Renoise. Also, you can get sub tick resolution of timing (for extremely precise, perhaps even moreso than in a regular DAW) non-quantized beat placement with the DXX pattern command.

Also, in Renoise anyhow, you can label every row on the pattern arranger, so if you want to know where you are in a song, just note it on the pattern arranger and it will tell you by looking at it.

Cool! I didn't know you could do that in Renoise! Proving once again it's the best tracker of the bunch out there.

However I still think you've misinterpreted what I was trying to say about zooming in and out. AFAIK you can't look at the whole track and see the automation on every effect all at once. Is there a way to do that in Renoise? Cause it's a tool I use every day and all the time.

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

The Fog posted:

Cool! I didn't know you could do that in Renoise! Proving once again it's the best tracker of the bunch out there.

However I still think you've misinterpreted what I was trying to say about zooming in and out. AFAIK you can't look at the whole track and see the automation on every effect all at once. Is there a way to do that in Renoise? Cause it's a tool I use every day and all the time.

No, although there is ALOT of discussion on the forums there with the designers and users as to how to go about something like that. There are plenty of decent ideas that have been kicked around, and the development of Renoise is so fast paced and so receptive to user input that I have no doubt it will be sometime soon. If it's something you're interested in you should definitely check out the Renoise forums, there's a few mock up screenshots of how it might work that are very exciting for us trackers :)

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Overbite posted:

Listening to the samples you guys are posting of your works in progress makes it seem like everyone is making dance type stuff. Do any of you make more noisy industrial-ish songs that sound like Skinny Puppy, NIN, Front Line Assembly synths and harsh noises? I'm still not sure how to get sounds like that.

I dig around in that kind of thing and have a few hints, though I'm not 100% of all the tricks of those genres yet.

First thing: distortion is your friend. A LOT of the more aggressive sounds can be coaxed out by just distorting a few things here or there. This is another one of those funny "learn as you go" things. However, if you have a good tube distortion effect, I've had a lot of success with the one I have (I use Orion even though it doesn't get a ton of love in the music world).

One thing that's fun is to compress the gently caress out of your drums, run them through a tube distortion with some heavy distortion, a slight touch of a low filter, and a bit more high filter. This is more of a thing that hard trance/techno uses, but whatever. It sounds nasty.

I've found that distortion is your best friend when you want to do nasty music. It makes things really dirty really quickly. I also find that shying away from sine waves is a good place to start making sounds. Using "noise"-type waveforms and squares is a good place to start.

Anyway...one good toy to have when making nasty, noisy music is the Glitch VST. I forget where to download it and I'm too lazy to look it up, but it's free and you can do all sorts of things with it.

Like, turning off the randomness or sequenced glitchery and setting the Crusher to "global" can make a really interesting sound. Otherwise, using Shuffle on your drum tracks can give you some pretty maddening, nasty rhythms. Heavy use is more sorted toward actual glitch music, but that has some industrial influence anyway so whatever.

I'm sewage flavored.

hexa
Dec 10, 2004

And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom
Have to second the love of the Glitch VST. I've been using it recently and although some might see it as cheating, I think it's a really useful VST and a massive timesaver. It's fun to dick around with the settings while recording your output and then chopping, splicing and building more beats from that.

Then run it all through Glitch again. And again etc. :D

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

glitchkrieg posted:

Have to second the love of the Glitch VST. I've been using it recently and although some might see it as cheating, I think it's a really useful VST and a massive timesaver. It's fun to dick around with the settings while recording your output and then chopping, splicing and building more beats from that.

You know, that kind of attitude is why I tend to keep gravitating more "down" in my music taste, especially in my own works. It's like the attitude of industrial/glitch/EBM/IDM is to start this nice little genre, and then mercilessly mangle the poo poo out of it. Then take the tattered remains of the music, feed it into a meatgrinder and then a woodchipper and then get drunk, do acid, and run the results through Glitch fifty times just to see what happens.

But then, that's the beauty of electronic music...with computers and gadgets, you can quite literally do anything you want.

I'm sewage flavored.

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
Thanks for the info. I tried to download Glitch but the website is down. Know of any other place to get it?

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe
Yeah, my place :)

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
You are the wind beneath my wings.

Edit: In Cubase, is there any sort of keyboard/piano roll thing? I can't figure out how to make noises. the Fruityloops demo was easy to make noises in but I kept having problems with the tracks. One track would screw up the noise of another track.

So in cubase, how do I do anything?

edit: Is there any sort of tutorial for these things? I open up the program and have no idea what to do to even start making songs and I get discouraged and quit.

Overbite fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Jul 3, 2008

The Fog
Oct 10, 2004

glitchkrieg posted:

gently caress that attitude. There's no such thing as cheating. It's called "doing what it takes to get the results you like."
The sooner you learn this, the more successful you will be in creating your music.

Quincy Smallvoice
Mar 18, 2006

Bitches leave

Overbite posted:

You are the wind beneath my wings.

Edit: In Cubase, is there any sort of keyboard/piano roll thing? I can't figure out how to make noises. the Fruityloops demo was easy to make noises in but I kept having problems with the tracks. One track would screw up the noise of another track.

So in cubase, how do I do anything?

edit: Is there any sort of tutorial for these things? I open up the program and have no idea what to do to even start making songs and I get discouraged and quit.

pm me, I'll help you out if you like

edit:

also this:

quote:

gently caress that attitude. There's no such thing as cheating. It's called "doing what it takes to get the results you like."
The sooner you learn this, the more successful you will be in creating your music.

A million times this.

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert

Quincy Smallvoice posted:

pm me, I'll help you out if you like

thanks :) I just figured out how to get the piano roll opened up and how to assign it a VST and now that I did it opened up a whole world of opportunity. I love how I can make a little melody and move it wherever I want. I couldn't figure out how to do that in FL8.

If I get stuck on something I might PM you :)

Quincy Smallvoice
Mar 18, 2006

Bitches leave

Overbite posted:

thanks :) I just figured out how to get the piano roll opened up and how to assign it a VST and now that I did it opened up a whole world of opportunity. I love how I can make a little melody and move it wherever I want. I couldn't figure out how to do that in FL8.

If I get stuck on something I might PM you :)

Allright. Cubase goes really really deep, and can pretty much do all of the things you can and can not imagine. You'll get lost eventually.

I'll drop my aim/msn on you now, before the inevitable happens

frankthetank
Dec 20, 2006

Are there any Glitch plug-ins like this for Mac in AU format?

nah thanks
Jun 18, 2004

Take me out.

frankthetank posted:

Are there any Glitch plug-ins like this for Mac in AU format?

I'm a big fan of Audio Damage's Replicant. You can try Live Cut too.

frankthetank
Dec 20, 2006

squidgee posted:

I'm a big fan of Audio Damage's Replicant. You can try Live Cut too.

Thanks man! Trying out Live Cut for now as it's free, but I'll see what's happening with Replicant at some piont.

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
Hi everybody! After a few months out of making music I went out and bought a new laptop, and some vsts, and upgraded ableton...

If someone could listen to this and tell me if it's poo poo or not, it'd be a great help.

edit: updated it slightly. No big change, but slightly smoother in parts.

cubicle gangster fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Jul 7, 2008

nah thanks
Jun 18, 2004

Take me out.

frankthetank posted:

Thanks man! Trying out Live Cut for now as it's free, but I'll see what's happening with Replicant at some piont.

Definitely be sure to check out Replicant. While Live Cut is nice, Replicant allows you to program in individual steps and stuff which is nice. I also find that Live Cut causes my DAW to crash every once an a while.

IanTheM
May 22, 2007

cubicle gangster posted:

Hi everybody! After a few months out of making music I went out and bought a new laptop, and some vsts, and upgraded ableton...

If someone could listen to this and tell me if it's poo poo or not, it'd be a great help.

The first half is pretty good, and progresses nicely. But, the sudden switch in the middle into the weird off canter part isn't done too well and lasts too long without returning to themes from the beginning which would have worked out better. Interesting noises anyhow.

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
Good to know about the first half (is the comment about the sounds a compliment? haha) - and i do know what you mean about the second half. The idea was making a track that was a set changer, so you could switch the direction up a little. I'm trying to be iconic and over ambitious before getting good, really. haha.

I'll have another look at that though - I enjoy the beat in it too much to scrap it, so i'll re-work it and see how it can fit in better, and bring in some of the other elements later on.

CHRISTS FOR SALE
Jan 14, 2005

"fuck you and die"
Are there any Traktor 3 users in the house? I use Traktor 3 with the Audio 8 DJ/Scratch interface. I want to map certain effects to my MIDI keyboard controllers knobs, but every time I hit "Learn" and turn a knob, nothing happens. I've tried restarting my computer, and my OS/Traktor is fully updated (Mac OS 10.4.11, Traktor 3.3.2). Maybe I should mention that my MIDI controller only has MIDI out, and MIDI Out (on my interface) is currently inactive, though it being active doesn't really fix the problem...

archie
Sep 16, 2003

Mr Lee! Why You No Wear Uniform?
yeah mate i'm running a similar setup - i have traktor scratch + got the traktor 3 upgrade and i'm running midi (trigger finger and a remote sl)

what kind of midi interface are you using? does it come up in the "midi interfaces" section of traktor's preferences? if so is there a "x" next to it? if not you have to select it, apply changes, restart traktor and have another crack.

pretty sure it has to be on a certain midi channel too

doesn't matter if your device only has midi out, that won't be a problem at all (my trigger finger only has midi out)

when you get it going might i suggest checking out some *.tks files? http://www.djtechtools.com/2008/03/12/traktor-tks-files-for-controllers/ has a few, as do the native instruments forums.

just to give you an idea i'm using one from there and this is how it's setup (though i've customised it but you get the picture!):

CHRISTS FOR SALE
Jan 14, 2005

"fuck you and die"

archie posted:

yeah mate i'm running a similar setup - i have traktor scratch + got the traktor 3 upgrade and i'm running midi (trigger finger and a remote sl)

what kind of midi interface are you using? does it come up in the "midi interfaces" section of traktor's preferences? if so is there a "x" next to it? if not you have to select it, apply changes, restart traktor and have another crack.

pretty sure it has to be on a certain midi channel too

doesn't matter if your device only has midi out, that won't be a problem at all (my trigger finger only has midi out)

when you get it going might i suggest checking out some *.tks files? http://www.djtechtools.com/2008/03/12/traktor-tks-files-for-controllers/ has a few, as do the native instruments forums.

just to give you an idea i'm using one from there and this is how it's setup (though i've customised it but you get the picture!):

My interface is a MOTU 8pre. It's got MIDI I/O and I've been using my keyboard flawlessly with my DAW. I can also map buttons/knobs/faders to Ableton Live controls. So I know the data is flowing...

I have not selected a channel, however. I've been using OMNI. Does it matter which channel I select as long as they're all the same? I've tried changing channels but it hasn't fixed my problem.

DJ Dain
Nov 7, 2006
That "Don't Worry, I'm Yours" mashup guy.

(Formerly known as "that Half-Life 2 remix guy.")
I love French House, but I can't figure out how one makes the that sound effect that sounds like the love child between a Filter, Flanger, Phaser, and a Vocoder programmed with the sound of a glass of water being poured. It is usually used on synthesizers, combined instrumentation/samples and even drums/percussion. I slapped this sample collection of tracks together to try and capture the "sound" I'm talking about : http://www.box.net/shared/7egq5u2o04

If anyone knows what I'm talking about and how to recreate it in Live 7 / Reason 3.0, let me know!

DJ Dain fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Jul 10, 2008

IanTheM
May 22, 2007

Dain22 posted:

I love French House, but I can't figure out how one makes the that sound effect that sounds like the love child between a Filter, Flanger, Phaser, and a Vocoder programmed with the sound of a glass of water being poured. It is usually used on synthesizers, combined instrumentation/samples and even drums/percussion. I slapped this sample collection of tracks together to try and capture the "sound" I'm talking about : http://www.box.net/shared/7egq5u2o04

If anyone knows what I'm talking about and how to recreate it in Live 7 / Reason 3.0, let me know!

I'm pretty sure it's a variation of those effects applied to the drums, hihats and such most often. Just experiment with having the effects have a high intensity, but not an extremely high rate. A lot of its just a flanger though.

Ben and Stew
Mar 31, 2006

Woah!
This is the second song I've made in Logic and I feel like I'm finally getting over the steep learning curve. I'd appreciate critiques of the mixing or the song in general. I feel like I might need to do a little bit of detail work so consider this song a rough draft.

Ben and Stew fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Jul 10, 2008

I Dig Gardening
Jan 13, 2004

I cant tonight, babe. Im going online.

Dain22 posted:

It's a phaser. It's only going to sound as good as your phaser settings and your synth source, though. Get a kickass synth sound FIRST, then throw the phaser on it. I'd recommend a third party phaser, both Reasons and Live's don't do it for me.. and I'm one hell of a fanboy.

One thing you'll learn in electronic music very fast is that if it sounds super loving complicated and you keep racking your brain to what it might be, the answer is almost ALWAYS something really stupid and simple. I was DYING to know how MSTRKRFT made that insane buildup before the climax of their Dance remix and I could NOT for the life of me replicate it. I asked Jesse and turns out it's just a reverse piano chord. I reversed the song and sure enough, it's just a loving piano chord. Retarded. Sounds so dope though.

Quincy Smallvoice
Mar 18, 2006

Bitches leave

Ben and Stew posted:

This is the second song I've made in Logic and I feel like I'm finally getting over the steep learning curve. I'd appreciate critiques of the mixing or the song in general. I feel like I might need to do a little bit of detail work so consider this song a rough draft.

This is pretty awesome, and you should feel good about having created it.

Some work on detail and arrangement wouldnt be wasted however, do not give up on this.

ManoliIsFat
Oct 4, 2002

I Dig Gardening posted:

I asked Jesse and turns out it's just a reverse piano chord. I reversed the song and sure enough, it's just a loving piano chord. Retarded. Sounds so dope though.
That's a good tip. Reversing sounds that hit strong at first and then have a long, steady decay like a piano or like a smooth horn, can make an an awesome drop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rkelly
Sep 7, 2003

I Dig Gardening posted:

It's a phaser. It's only going to sound as good as your phaser settings and your synth source, though. Get a kickass synth sound FIRST, then throw the phaser on it. I'd recommend a third party phaser, both Reasons and Live's don't do it for me.. and I'm one hell of a fanboy.

One thing you'll learn in electronic music very fast is that if it sounds super loving complicated and you keep racking your brain to what it might be, the answer is almost ALWAYS something really stupid and simple. I was DYING to know how MSTRKRFT made that insane buildup before the climax of their Dance remix and I could NOT for the life of me replicate it. I asked Jesse and turns out it's just a reverse piano chord. I reversed the song and sure enough, it's just a loving piano chord. Retarded. Sounds so dope though.

Can everyone who has cool french house sounding techniques just post them now. I will put them all together in a pdf when we are done.

Can anyone tell me how exactly justice did this micro sampling? I know cut a sample. Drop it in Live Sampler. Then cut the loop points, so that they don't touch the attack and release. Voila! Infinite sustaining sample.

What is a good quallty flanger and phaser VSTI free or not? The best one you guys know of?

Rkelly fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Jul 10, 2008

• Locked thread