Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Litch991
Sep 14, 2005
I just bought a 16gb itouch off ebay from a best buy retailer with 60 day warranty and a 7 day return period.

As far as condition goes, what all should I be looking for besides the obvious dings and scratches go?
The product is described to be "customer return or display, functions perfectly" Are there any known problems with itouches that would cause someone to return it and it slip past basic inspection?

Thanks goons!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Does anyone else have trouble with their Touch forgetting the time and date? Mine resets to December 07 periodically. I think it's happening if I have the thing connected to my computer while Vista goes into sleep mode.

edit: Welp, specifically ejected and disconnected the ipod last night, and the date and time were still messed up this morning. What the hell.

teethgrinder fucked around with this message at 12:11 on Jun 19, 2008

ZoDiAC_
Jun 23, 2003

Litch991 posted:

Are there any known problems with itouches that would cause someone to return it and it slip past basic inspection?

Thanks goons!

I wouldn't think so, outside of software, and that can be sorted out pretty quickly.

Litch991
Sep 14, 2005

Fallon posted:

I wouldn't think so, outside of software, and that can be sorted out pretty quickly.

Excellent. I've been reading a lot of the past 10 pages or so in anticipation but can anyone provide (or briefly post) a resource that shows the pros and cons of jailbreaking? I'm assuming non-jailbreaking just means it won't crash at all. If not feel free to correct me.
I'd love to get some games on there but if I brick my new touch...:smithicide:

CanuckBassist
Mar 20, 2007

Litch991 posted:

I'd love to get some games on there but if I brick my new touch...:smithicide:

This is what every new person that comes into the thread is worried about. So far, jailbreaking cannot brick the Touch. You just have to restore it to default with iTunes if something goes wrong (ie crashes).

ZoDiAC_
Jun 23, 2003

There is no reason not to jailbreak :)

Litch991
Sep 14, 2005

CanuckBassist posted:

This is what every new person that comes into the thread is worried about.

Yeah I saw as much. People just don't like spending money and then even remotely having a 1% chance of bjorking things. :colbert:

Stobbit
Mar 9, 2006
Ok, so I've gotten an iPod Touch 16 GB given to me as a gift, and jailbroke it straight away. So far I've only had one problem;

Where the hell is Band? I open up installer, and I can see "Band Instrument Pack 1", but not the Band app itself. I downloaded the instrument pack, but it just told me once it finished downloading that I "require the Band app".

What do I have to do to get it to appear in the list? I've refreshed all of my sources and even added some new ones but still can't get it to appear.

Cant Build Here
Jan 9, 2006
I have kind of a goofy question. Most of my music was taken straight from CDs that I already had and ripped to iTUNES other than bought from itunes. Do I need to go download the album artwork off of google and manually input it into each album in iTUNES or is there some kind of neat magic trick that will do it for me?

Edit again: it was my router...

Cant Build Here fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Jun 22, 2008

Carlo Von Sexron
Nov 12, 2005
You're a woman I'm a machine
Is there a way to play animated gifs? I don't mean on a website but into the photo library or another app.

bilperkins2
Nov 22, 2004

Fashion for Dogz
:france:

Cant Build Here posted:

I have kind of a goofy question. Most of my music was taken straight from CDs that I already had and ripped to iTUNES other than bought from itunes. Do I need to go download the album artwork off of google and manually input it into each album in iTUNES or is there some kind of neat magic trick that will do it for me?

Edit again: it was my router...

In iTunes, the menu Advanced, select Get Album Artwork. You might need to Select All beforehand, and I think you have to be viewing your Music Library while the Touch is plugged in, but if you mess around with this enough, I'm sure it will work.

That is, if, when you imported, you let iTunes automatically name your CD tracks. If you named everything yourself, and named them wrong/weird, it might not be able to find the album you're referring to, so you may need to Google some of them...

Falco
Dec 31, 2003

Freewheeling At Last

Litch991 posted:

-Q: hows the in-pocket operating like? is it difficult?

edit: saw that theres an app for in-pocket touching. awesome.

I didn't see anyone answer this, and I'm very curious, where did you find an app for in-pocket touching? I've searched google and the apple site, and cannot find anything to accomplish this. I think the inability to adjust songs and volume in my pocket is the one thing stopping me from getting the itouch over a nano.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Falco posted:

I didn't see anyone answer this, and I'm very curious, where did you find an app for in-pocket touching? I've searched google and the apple site, and cannot find anything to accomplish this. I think the inability to adjust songs and volume in my pocket is the one thing stopping me from getting the itouch over a nano.

If I remember correctly, it's an app called "Pocket Touch"; I'm not sure which repository it's on. The Touch needs to be jailbroken, of course.

Falco
Dec 31, 2003

Freewheeling At Last
If I wasn't such a tard I would have searched the easiest possible combination. Thanks, this is getting a bit more promising for pocket use.

solarbeam
Nov 29, 2005
I have a question and I guess I need an opinion,

well, yesterday I bought a 16GB iPod touch and I also got the AppleCare warranty on it too. It came out to a staggering $480.90

Then right before I left I was still hanging around in the Apple Store checking out the iMacs, then the dude who I bought the iPod from told me that if I bring my busted up iPod nano I could get 10% off the purchase of my iPod touch granted I bring my receipt--he said he'd adjust it for me. This made the 32GB iPod touch much more appealing since I can knock off ~$50 off the retail price of a 32GB and pay maybe around $470 with tax.

Should I keep the 16GB iPod touch with the AppleCare plan? Or say gently caress that and get the 32GB with the 10% discount? I want to stay under $500 bucks because that's a lot of doh, yo

Also, I've been thinking about the new iPhone 3G coming out. I used to own an iPhone but it got stolen and I didn't feel like dropping $400 for another one so I just got a Nokia N95 instead. Should I just get the iPhone 3G and merge everything into one? I could sell the Nokia to my friend since he needs a new phone...

Since the price of the iPhone 3G will top out at $299 (16GB) w/ 2 year activation (I don't mind--AT&T has been good to me) should I just wait for that? (assuming I'm crossing my fingers that I could be eligible to get that price since I did own an iPhone at one point)

I just hate the fact that all this exciting poo poo is just on the horizon and if the iPhone 3G comes out I've got a feeling that the iPod touches might get a price drop :(

Sorry for the bricks of text, I'm just wondering where to best spend my money and I can't think of anything :( help me goons!

Edit: I've already opened the iPod touch and have been using it, would that be a problem for an exchange/return if I decide to? Thank you guys so much!

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Bahamutsrage posted:

Edit: I've already opened the iPod touch and have been using it, would that be a problem for an exchange/return if I decide to? Thank you guys so much!

The rest seems like a personal decision (and depends a lot on how you intend to use your iPod), but on this part the Apple website says they charge a 10% restocking fee for opened products. Assuming that's true, that takes your $50 discount on the 32Gb model down to about $20.

Also, if you don't know, the new iPhone plan will be $10/mo more than the current plan.

Rush_shirt
Apr 24, 2007

Bahamutsrage posted:

I have a question and I guess I need an opinion,

well, yesterday I bought a 16GB iPod touch and I also got the AppleCare warranty on it too. It came out to a staggering $480.90

Then right before I left I was still hanging around in the Apple Store checking out the iMacs, then the dude who I bought the iPod from told me that if I bring my busted up iPod nano I could get 10% off the purchase of my iPod touch granted I bring my receipt--he said he'd adjust it for me. This made the 32GB iPod touch much more appealing since I can knock off ~$50 off the retail price of a 32GB and pay maybe around $470 with tax.

Should I keep the 16GB iPod touch with the AppleCare plan? Or say gently caress that and get the 32GB with the 10% discount? I want to stay under $500 bucks because that's a lot of doh, yo

Also, I've been thinking about the new iPhone 3G coming out. I used to own an iPhone but it got stolen and I didn't feel like dropping $400 for another one so I just got a Nokia N95 instead. Should I just get the iPhone 3G and merge everything into one? I could sell the Nokia to my friend since he needs a new phone...

Since the price of the iPhone 3G will top out at $299 (16GB) w/ 2 year activation (I don't mind--AT&T has been good to me) should I just wait for that? (assuming I'm crossing my fingers that I could be eligible to get that price since I did own an iPhone at one point)

I just hate the fact that all this exciting poo poo is just on the horizon and if the iPhone 3G comes out I've got a feeling that the iPod touches might get a price drop :(

Sorry for the bricks of text, I'm just wondering where to best spend my money and I can't think of anything :( help me goons!

You might have a problem returning it with the packaging opened, even more so because you've been using it.

You're overcomplicating things. If I were you I would just get an iPhone 3G. Get the 8GB for $199 and look into ways to cut your losses (returning the touch, getting rid of your old phone, etc.).

For both the touch and the iPhone, I don't understand why anyone would pay for more than the 8GB models. I see the products as less for storing media and more for accessing the internet/phone network to pull data. Put a few of your favorite albums on songs on the iPhone/touch and leave the rest on your hard drive or a dedicated iPod. Of course, some people absolutely must store all their music on their portable device (even the poo poo they barely listen to), so if space is really an issue, buy the biggest you can afford (but just remember you're paying $100 extra for 8 more gigs and the exact same functionality - not worth it in my opinion). With the App Store opening, space might theoretically become an issue, but most applications will take up a minute amount of space and even the bigger ones will be capped off at 2GB.

A few months ago I was in the same boat deciding between the touch and the iPhone. Ultimately I decided that a $175 termination fee with Verizon coupled with $70/month for service (as opposed to free for sticking with Verizon and leeching off my Family Plan) wasn't worth getting a 3G for. Since you're fine with using AT&T it seems like a no brainer.

Rush_shirt fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Jun 27, 2008

Archr5
Sep 26, 2003

Trying desperately to be popular since 1982.
I just got an 8gb touch and jailbroke it immediately.

My only complaint/nitpick is I wish there was a Single source for all installer apps. I keep trying to find new sources and keep discovering links that don't work anymore.

Flesh
Dec 30, 2004

In The Flesh, Again
edit: nevermind

Flesh fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Jun 30, 2008

ZoDiAC_
Jun 23, 2003

Alright, I have proved beyond a doubt the Touch is unbrickable:

I was upgrading to Ziphone and unplugged the cable midway accidentally. It was churning out mental DOS like messages.

Answer? Hold the power and main button to the apple log, keep holding til the screen goes black, and it restores a factory default that can't be over written.

Back up to date and nice and smooth again :)

Unbrickable

Flesh
Dec 30, 2004

In The Flesh, Again
What are the good apps out right now since 1.1.4 came out?

Also I've tried installing gpSPhone (GBA emulator) and I can't figure out where to put the roms, it can never find them. Anyone have insight on this?

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

thegloaming posted:

For both the touch and the iPhone, I don't understand why anyone would pay for more than the 8GB models. I see the products as less for storing media and more for accessing the internet/phone network to pull data.

Not to start an argument, but it seems from your post that you're equating "media" with music -- and if that is the case for a user, I'd probably agree. But the Touch is also a pretty good device to watch video on. Combine that with trips, and 8Gb is kind of squeezing it.

VibrioCholera
Mar 7, 2003

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

Not to start an argument, but it seems from your post that you're equating "media" with music -- and if that is the case for a user, I'd probably agree. But the Touch is also a pretty good device to watch video on. Combine that with trips, and 8Gb is kind of squeezing it.

I bought the 8GB because I know any iPod Touch v2 will be something much better than the first. Also, didn't feel like plunking down the price for a 16GB model.

Assuming you're not doing cross country road trips, the 8GB is squeezing it but you can fit a really nice amount of video on it before it starts to wear thin. I have a pretty large collection of songs and could easily still fit a few movies on this. Watching movies on this is also really nice!

I get your point though, 8GB is a little tight. I heard people complaining "they can't fit their entire collection on this." Well, I'm pretty sure if people are looking to do that they need to buy a Classic.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Seeing how there are various applications drawing on their own and doing sound playback, that there aren't any attempts to port a FFmpeg based media player to the iPhone/iPod to avoid conversion every time.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

My Touch is still periodically losing the time, and on top of that, it for some reason occasionally forgets to mark tracks as "played." The latter is hardly important, it just messes up my Last.fm tracking. The date thing is really annoying however, particularly because when I correct the date, any "missed" appointments pop up every time. I was hoping to actually use it as a PDA calendar.

Anyone have any idea what's going on? Another theory I have is that it's syncing its time to the occasional public WAP I connect to, but I haven't seen any direct evidence for this.

By the by, this thing is even MORE fantastic since I discovered ZiPhone and finally jailbreaked my ipod. Kusari, ScummVM and iGo are great. My fingers are too fat for NES apparently.

ZoDiAC_
Jun 23, 2003

Stobbit posted:

Ok, so I've gotten an iPod Touch 16 GB given to me as a gift, and jailbroke it straight away. So far I've only had one problem;

Where the hell is Band? I open up installer, and I can see "Band Instrument Pack 1", but not the Band app itself. I downloaded the instrument pack, but it just told me once it finished downloading that I "require the Band app".

What do I have to do to get it to appear in the list? I've refreshed all of my sources and even added some new ones but still can't get it to appear.

Add http://iappcat.com/r/30546 as a source and look for "jstringham" or something in the categories list

ProvostZak
Dec 31, 2000

it's a huge step
I'm trying to find out the code to a wifi network I used a while ago, but I think the only record of it is saved in my ipod touch's wifi network saved credentials. Can I get to these using WinSCP or similar?

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
I noticed some startling similarities between Touchpad Pro and VNSea.

This one is from VNSea:

This one is from Touchpad Pro:

The guy pretty much rearranged some of the preferences and called it a new app.
But wait, it gets better.
When you connect to a VNC server with VNSea you get this:

You can control your desktop and everything. Works as any VNC client should.
TouchPad Pro gets you this:

They charge you for basic functionality that's included already in a free application that they ripped off. Don't get to view the screen until you cough up :10bux:.
Between this and the $35 text document reader I think the jailbreak community has pretty much offered what it can. Bring on the app store please.

DJ_Flipped
Nov 1, 2003

Seven Minutes to Midnight...

Peven Stan posted:

I noticed some startling similarities between Touchpad Pro and VNSea.
They charge you for basic functionality that's included already in a free application that they ripped off. Don't get to view the screen until you cough up :10bux:.
Between this and the $35 text document reader I think the jailbreak community has pretty much offered what it can. Bring on the app store please.

The author of the program has given credit to the makers of VNSea for using the code base. Touchpad Pro is so much better for me than VNSea is, it's a lot faster. Touchpad Pro does exactly what I need without having to pay for the cool new features.

I love being able to have an extra trackpad/mouse combo in my pocket. I run a movie theatre, and I have my laptop hooked up to my main auditorium, It's nice to be able to use my iPod as a most awesome wireless mouse AND keyboard. It blows people's minds when I sit in the middle of the theatre just staring at the screen. It looks like I'm controlling it with my MIND!

VNSea is waaaaay too slow for this to be feasible for my needs. Oh, and I don't want to view the screen. It makes it more mysterious!

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Stupid question: but will the Apple software update (iPhone 2.0) that is going to be available for the Touch for $$ allow for Mobile Me push content via WiFi?

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

loving JACKALOPE! posted:

Stupid question: but will the Apple software update (iPhone 2.0) that is going to be available for the Touch for $$ allow for Mobile Me push content via WiFi?

Looks like it.

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003
Another stupid question: Does anyone know of a program I can use to auto-import album artwork?

I've been ripping CDs like mad ever since the kids found out how much fun it is to spread the disks all over the living room, but it will be hell if I'm going to manually add everything from A-Ha to Østkyst Hustlers. I've tried iTunes Art Importer, but nothing I've tested it with have worked even though I could look up the album on Amazon using the exact same info as in the file. :(

EDIT: I've only just become aware of this because I retired my trusty 1st gen. iPod Shuffle for a Touch. Oh god it's a great device!

Crowley fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Jul 9, 2008

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

pokeyman posted:

Looks like it.

:v: How did I miss that? Thanks.

s0meb0dy0
Feb 27, 2004

The death of a child is always a tragedy, but let's put this in perspective, shall we? I mean they WERE palestinian.
I'm thinking of purchasing a touch today, but have a few questions hopefully people can answer.

1) If I buy it now, will I also have to pay for the 2.0 software?
2) Is there anyway software edit spreadsheets locally? I looked around, but only found online solutions.
3) Does it look like any new models will be coming out soon? I'm pretty sure this is a no, but thought I'd see if there were any other opinions.

Thanks!

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003

s0meb0dy0 posted:

2) Is there anyway software edit spreadsheets locally? I looked around, but only found online solutions.

I've searched installer.app and couldn't find anything, even with the extra repositories. :(

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I didn't buy the January Upgrade when it came out, but now I have some extra money and want to, but I cannot find a link for this at all. Did I miss the boat on downloading this or something?

Edit: Oh wait it looks like I did, but it'll be included in the iPhone 2.0 update. That's pretty cool! :woop:

explosivo fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Jul 10, 2008

spacey
Jul 9, 2001

copperwound
there are no dogs
I'm having trouble connecting to my touch with SSH from WinSCP. I have the right IP, port and user, pass, all that. But it always says "Connection Refused".

I've tried leaving the user and pass blank so it would prompt me and it just never does. It times out or says connection refused.

XP Pro, Ipod Touch 8Gb, 1.1.4
BossPrefs installed, Services, SSH running... Any thoughts? Thanks

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
So when do we get 2.0? I want to try out the AppStore and new features.

@Spacey: I had that issue originally, for me it was a bad router. I replaced it, and it all worked fine. This very possibly could not the same issue as you at all, but if you have a spare router I recommend swapping it out.

Genix
Apr 11, 2008

Crowley posted:

Another stupid question: Does anyone know of a program I can use to auto-import album artwork?

I use 'Media Monkey' to auto tag my music, It works quite well by querying Amazon or a couple of other online shops for the album art etc.

While it does not have every album and sometimes picks the wrong artist it has gone fine for me, Though i have found querying the UK Amazon instead of the US to be better at having good quality pictures for the more heavier metal i have.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I don't know how many of you are waiting for iTunes to start working again to download the 2.0 update, but this suspense is killing me! I just want my apps to work.. :smith:

• Locked thread