Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Book I Read
Jan 15, 2008
Have to sing about it.

Timage posted:

I posted this in the other thread but I've always wanted to post in here.

Roland TD-9SX. It's awesome.

That's easily the most badass electronic kit I've ever seen. In fact, it's the only that could be called tasteful in any way, they usually look like poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trellio
Feb 18, 2007

by Ozma

It's on its way (or at least will be after the holiday weekend). I ordered it from Rondo Music so I'm fairly confident that it'll be a great quality for what I paid (especially since I've never played it and I'm going to try and learn it) and if there's anything wrong I know I can ship it back. I love that company.

qball
Aug 1, 2002

You could go and have a bite, and you'd still be hearin' that one.
I finally picked up my audio interface. MOTU 8pre.

Prof Eli ASSBLASTER
May 30, 2007

by Fragmaster

ADINSX posted:

Just sent the paypal to rifter17 yesterday, so I suppose this is my newest purchase :D Got this from the Gear Trades thread.

Its an Italia Mondial Class bass and I'm really excited, I love obscure and weird bass guitars, hopefully it'll be shipping soon.

holy poo poo that thing is pretty.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

3toes posted:

I loving love them. I wish every bass had one.

They're great for overdriven rock though, look at Allen Woody of Gov't Mule and Jack Bruce of Cream.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1J5Rop_9QJc

Speaking of mudbuckers, I just placed my order for this little baby.

I had been trying for a while to get a used Gibson SG bass reissue, but the only secondhand SG basses I saw were original '67 models. Which would be great but way out of my budget.

Here's hoping this Epiphone doesn't have too many factory defects. :guitar:

trex eaterofcadrs
Jun 17, 2005
My lack of understanding is only exceeded by my lack of concern.

Trellio posted:

It's on its way (or at least will be after the holiday weekend). I ordered it from Rondo Music so I'm fairly confident that it'll be a great quality for what I paid (especially since I've never played it and I'm going to try and learn it) and if there's anything wrong I know I can ship it back. I love that company.

Thanks for posting. I've been really wanting to learn violin for a few years now and that site has ridiculously good prices.

e: to contribute, I found one of these at a garage sale. One of the greatest impulse buys I've ever made.

trex eaterofcadrs fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Jul 6, 2008

lechunnel
Jun 16, 2007

Is that Ivana Trump?
So over the past 9 months or so I've gone a bit nuts with music purchases, moving from my Epiphone LP/solid state Yamaha rig to, well, something a bit more costly. New guitar, new amp, new pedals, and so on.

Thanks full time employment!

The cornerstone of my new rig is my 1995 Gibson LP Standard, which I picked up late last year for AU$3500, as seen here (apologies for camerphone pics in advance):

It came with a couple of nicks and scratches, but sounded great and felt great so I wasn't fussed. However, in recent months I've noticed some weird cracking of the paint on the guitar, cracking which I'm not sure was there when I bought the guitar.

On the headstock:

And on the body:

What the gently caress is happening to my precious guitar, ML? A tech I saw on the weekend told me it was just ageing, and although it was more advanced than other 13 year old guitars he'd seen it was quite natural. And, importantly, superficial.

But could it also be that I live in a damp house? I tend to leave my axe out on its stand so I can grab it and have a play, so it's exposed to the air that floats around the place.

And pics of my other purchases will soon follow. But for now: what the gently caress?

Dragon Eye Morrison
May 6, 2007

Boston's "More Than A Feeling" is the world's greatest song

lechunnel posted:

But for now: what the gently caress?

It's called finish checking, and it is entirely superficial (and, in fact, usually desirable if you're talking about vintage axes). It can happen due to several factors, but the most common has to due with being exposed to varying humidity and temperature levels. The lacquer and the wood expand at different rates, and the older a guitar and more "climate swings" it encounters, the thinner the lacquer is and more stress it has been subjected to, and thus more likely to check. Any lacquer-finished guitar can check easily if exposed to a drastic enough climate change. You hear stories of people traveling from a warm climate, like California, to a cold climate, like Colorado, taking their guitar out of the case, and literally watching the finish check before their eyes. Basically, it's most likely due to you keeping it out on a stand during an unseasonably hot/cold/wet/dry day or so.

ForbiddenWonder
Feb 15, 2003

Thanks sister who has no time to play and will sell this to me in brand new condition for a fraction of the price! The finish is gorgeous. It's a Fender GDO300, i'll post real pics when I get it in my hands.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Jan posted:

Speaking of mudbuckers, I just placed my order for this little baby.

I had been trying for a while to get a used Gibson SG bass reissue, but the only secondhand SG basses I saw were original '67 models. Which would be great but way out of my budget.

Here's hoping this Epiphone doesn't have too many factory defects. :guitar:

The one thing that bugged me about the Epiphone is how the neck joint isn't flush with the neck where it meets the body. Dunno why but I just can't stand it. It's a shame considering its the only EB-3 model in production that is longscale.

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!

TRex EaterofCars posted:

to contribute, I found one of these at a garage sale. One of the greatest impulse buys I've ever made.

I'm always curious to know the prices guitars go for at garage sales. What did this one set you back?

Drazzy
Oct 5, 2003

If I had $20 right now, I'd probably put it towards one of my many bills that I have yet to pay.
Just came back from Guitar Center in Allen Park, MI. Brought back a nice not-so-little birthday present to myself; a Peavey Classic 50 tube amp! Guitar Center's website says its $849.99 normal price. Got it for $450 out the door. I thought that was a good price :)

My only beef is that it doesn't come with a foot pedal to switch channels :( Any suggestions on a compatible pedal?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

Sorry for the lovely picture I'm gunna get some better ones later. Just got this in yesterday. It's beautiful and heavy as hell. I love it though. The build quality is kinda low but this was a pretty cheap guitar($350). Sounds amazing.

Next up is my 1991 Alvarez Yarai. I can't remember the exact model number at the moment.

Getting pretty old but it sounds beautiful and it's in perfect condition.

lechunnel
Jun 16, 2007

Is that Ivana Trump?

Dragon Eye Morrison posted:

It's called finish checking, and it is entirely superficial (and, in fact, usually desirable if you're talking about vintage axes).

Thanks for allaying my fears. I reckon it looks pretty sweet in fact - I was just scared I'd hosed my axe.

trex eaterofcadrs
Jun 17, 2005
My lack of understanding is only exceeded by my lack of concern.

Handen posted:

I'm always curious to know the prices guitars go for at garage sales. What did this one set you back?

It was $450 in pristine shape with a pretty nice case. No gouges, the strings didn't have any rust, no pick marks, nothing. I don't think he played it much.

I actually felt kind of lovely buying it; he had tons of gear for sale that day: 3-4 guitars, a bunch of bass guitars, a few amps, some other instruments like trumpets and stuff... You know when someone is selling their entire instrument collection that something bad happened. :(

Alfa Tard
Sep 30, 2002

Stoopid Noobie

lechunnel posted:

Thanks for allaying my fears. I reckon it looks pretty sweet in fact - I was just scared I'd hosed my axe.

Nah Dragon Eye is spot on there. This is very common on old guitars but to see it on a '95 means it's been through some changes. This will likely settle down after a while instead of getting worse (depending on environmental changes). Besides, now it's got 70's mojo!

MUNG
Apr 8, 2003

Drazzy posted:

Just came back from Guitar Center in Allen Park, MI. Brought back a nice not-so-little birthday present to myself; a Peavey Classic 50 tube amp! Guitar Center's website says its $849.99 normal price. Got it for $450 out the door. I thought that was a good price :)

My only beef is that it doesn't come with a foot pedal to switch channels :( Any suggestions on a compatible pedal?

i have the same amp and i use this one but it seems to be discontinued

but that's ok they have one with LEDs now

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

Trellio posted:

I dunno, the first thing I learned from playing the violin is that cheap ones will get out of tune all the time, the cheap synthetic hair bows produce a grimy sound, and are all around more of a discouragement to learn than anything. The ones on Rondo Music sound a bit better than the average for those prices, but I remain skeptical about getting anything worthwhile under $300.

With a cheap price, yeah, you're not set back by a lot if you decide you don't like the instrument, but it's annoying if you do keep up.

Prof Eli ASSBLASTER
May 30, 2007

by Fragmaster

Handen posted:

You can get crazy deals at garage sales. A guy a few pages back got an original Mustang for $100, which is like a tenth of what they're really worth.

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice
I don't own it yet, but in the next couple weeks....

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

The Tiny Terror really turned me on to the Orange sound, but I wanted something just a bit bigger. I got to play one of these once and it was everything I want in an amp and nothing more. The natural channel is phenomenal.

Gibson SG Faded

Going to swap the neck and maybe the middle pickup for a humbucker-size P90 and have someone hook up a coil tap. I love having a ton of pickup options.

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

Very strong. Everyone likes me.

hamaien posted:

Gibson SG Faded

Going to swap the neck and maybe the middle pickup for a humbucker-size P90 and have someone hook up a coil tap. I love having a ton of pickup options.

That is loving gorgeous but dot inlays on an SG :barf:

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice

Thoogsby posted:

I know, it's not fancy. It's ok though, I have simple taste.

Uncle Caveman
Jun 16, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Thoogsby posted:

See that look on Pete's face? He's wondering what is wrong with you.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Uncle Caveman posted:

See that look on Pete's face? He's wondering what is wrong with you.

Neck-binding makes up for dots.

Sam-
Sep 15, 2004

Hamilton: Whose funeral is this?
Black Man: Yours
[stabs Hamilton]

Drazzy posted:

A while ago, I noticed an input in my vintage fender amp for "vibrato" so I plugged a cable in, and noticed it would activate the vibrato effect when I was closing the connection using my hands. So I built a simple switch, its a small box that has a quarter inch adapter and a button that is on/off.

Later on, I bought a Ibanez amp that didn't come with a channel switching pedal, the guy wanted something like 60$ for one. So I plugged my small red box to see what it could do, and effectively it switches channels no problem!

The Ibanez pedal the guy wanted to sell me had four buttons, so what I figured is that the pedal used stereo cables for the second part of the pedal (as in, you can independently activate a overdrive (channel 1) and x-mode (channel 2)). So if I ever want to redesign the pedal to have the four buttons like the Ibanez one, I would have to use one mono cable and one stereo cable.

http://en.woodbrass.com/IBANEZ+IFS4X+FOOTSWITCH+FOR+TBX150

Sure not as complex as building an effect pedal, but I felt proud of figuring this out by myself and building a neat solution.

This is the button I built:

Sam- fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Jul 7, 2008

BusinessWallet
Sep 13, 2005
Today has been the most perfect day I have ever seen
How do you plan on swapping the neck on that SG?

Livingston
Jun 28, 2007

:zombie:hiiitsss:zombie:

BusinessWallet posted:

How do you plan on swapping the neck on that SG?

I think he meant the neck pickup.

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice

Livingston posted:

I think he meant the neck pickup.

This. I talk good grammar.

ZombiePeanut
May 11, 2007

by Fistgrrl

3toes posted:

The one thing that bugged me about the Epiphone is how the neck joint isn't flush with the neck where it meets the body. Dunno why but I just can't stand it. It's a shame considering its the only EB-3 model in production that is longscale.

I'm fairly sure gibsons are the same way.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

ZombiePeanut posted:

I'm fairly sure gibsons are the same way.

Nope, played both. The joint on the Gibson comes up flush with the neck.

ZombiePeanut
May 11, 2007

by Fistgrrl

3toes posted:

Oh, that is kind of weird. I thought you were talking about the joint on the back side not being flush.

BusinessWallet
Sep 13, 2005
They make it so hard to choose

The gibson has a tone knob and 2 volume, whereas the epi is the traditional 2 tone 2 volume, and a pickup selector. The epi also has the trapezoid inlays and a nicer finish. :(

I have a gibson, but it's one of the Supreme with trap inlays and a flamed blonde maple top.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

BusinessWallet posted:

They make it so hard to choose

The gibson has a tone knob and 2 volume, whereas the epi is the traditional 2 tone 2 volume, and a pickup selector. The epi also has the trapezoid inlays and a nicer finish. :(

I have a gibson, but it's one of the Supreme with trap inlays and a flamed blonde maple top.

If you can find an Epi "Elitist" EB3, get it. It's the best choice imo.

BusinessWallet
Sep 13, 2005
I have this one

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Gibson-SG-Supreme-Bass?sku=512798&src=3SOSWXXA

It's pretty rad. I kind of want to trade it for a Jazz though.

prozacrefugee
Jan 7, 2006

by Fistgrrl

Alesis Nano Compressor. Great little compressor for under $300 (got mine for $50 used), really helps boost some electric piano sounds for me.

The whole Nano line is great for low end stuff - the Nano piano has about 113 different pianos and synths on it, can fit in my pocket, and has great sound for very little money.

Prof Eli ASSBLASTER
May 30, 2007

by Fragmaster
Not as much of a "purchase", more like "something I noticed sticking out of a dumpster and felt obligated to rescue"

It plays...sort of.

Drazzy
Oct 5, 2003

If I had $20 right now, I'd probably put it towards one of my many bills that I have yet to pay.

Sam- posted:

A while ago, I noticed an input in my vintage fender amp for "vibrato" so I plugged a cable in, and noticed it would activate the vibrato effect when I was closing the connection using my hands. So I built a simple switch, its a small box that has a quarter inch adapter and a button that is on/off.

Later on, I bought a Ibanez amp that didn't come with a channel switching pedal, the guy wanted something like 60$ for one. So I plugged my small red box to see what it could do, and effectively it switches channels no problem!

The Ibanez pedal the guy wanted to sell me had four buttons, so what I figured is that the pedal used stereo cables for the second part of the pedal (as in, you can independently activate a overdrive (channel 1) and x-mode (channel 2)). So if I ever want to redesign the pedal to have the four buttons like the Ibanez one, I would have to use one mono cable and one stereo cable.

http://en.woodbrass.com/IBANEZ+IFS4X+FOOTSWITCH+FOR+TBX150

Sure not as complex as building an effect pedal, but I felt proud of figuring this out by myself and building a neat solution.

This is the button I built:

I'd love to make my own switch, I think it would be really fun. What I asked my friends dad who knows alot about guitar equipment, and he said to make sure that the connector is "Tip ring sleeve". I looked up what that meant and noticed something. My Fender foot switch that has 2 buttons (Distortion and Chorus) is NOT a TRS connector. It just has one ring as opposed to two.

Do you have any schematics to make my own 2-button foot switch?

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

3toes posted:

Guess Epiphone reuses their guitar SG bodies for their SG basses.

For the Elitist version, I can't say I can justify the trouble of actually finding one over the plain Epi EB-3.

an AOL chatroom
Oct 3, 2002

Drazzy posted:

I'd love to make my own switch, I think it would be really fun. What I asked my friends dad who knows alot about guitar equipment, and he said to make sure that the connector is "Tip ring sleeve". I looked up what that meant and noticed something. My Fender foot switch that has 2 buttons (Distortion and Chorus) is NOT a TRS connector. It just has one ring as opposed to two.

Do you have any schematics to make my own 2-button foot switch?

Check out this page. It's got schematics for most fender amps, including the footswitch that it comes with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drazzy
Oct 5, 2003

Drazzy posted:

Brought this amp to band practice the other day. This is only our 4th time playing together as a group and we put this together on Saturday. The recording quality isn't that great. Hopefully you get a sense of what kind of sounds this amp is capable of. Don't mind my not-so-good playing. It's a MIM Strat /w GFS Texas Stagger pickups through the Classic 50.