Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dfn_doe
Apr 12, 2005
I FOR ONE WELCOME OUR NEW STUPID FUCKING CATCHPHRASE OVERLORDS

Crackbone posted:

If you're getting your material through legal sources, (ie Bluray discs), the video format on the disc going to be 1080p, so deinterlacing wouldn't be needed. The only thing I can think of that outputs in 1080i is one of the broadcast networks HD feeds. Where else are you going to get a native 1080i signal from that your PC will have to de-interlace?

Or am I mis-understanding what you mean by deinterlace? Are you talking about taking 24fps from a video source up to 60fps on a display?

And while HD cards are a great thing, there are still a lot of potental problems with utilizing it. I've seen countless thread of people who can't get hardware acceleration enabled for a variety of reasons.

1080i and 480i are going to cover the majority of broadcast video as well as standards def. DVD. And yes doing 60-24 and other pulldowns is one of the things that is going to be offloaded to the hardware. As far as having trouble getting the acceleration to work, I have read several threads on lots of board and the majority of the problems are people who are trying to get some hacked up or pirate copy of powerdvd OR are trying to get hardware acceleration on some sort of unsupported codec from some torrent downloads.

I use all legal legitimately paid for and installed software and it JUST WORKS. anything that supports output via directshow can use the filters and they do exactly what they say they'll do. My config is as close to box stock as it comes. Anybody walking into a store to build an HTPC could buy this hardware and software and install it without fiddling with anything and it'll just do as it's supposed to.

dfn_doe fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Jun 20, 2008

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

dfn_doe posted:

I use all legal legitimately paid for and installed software and it JUST WORKS. anything that supports output via directshow can use the filters and they do exactly what they say they'll do. My config is as close to box stock as it comes. Anybody walking into a store to build an HTPC could buy this hardware and software and install it without fiddling with anything and it'll just do as it's supposed to.

Please quit blaming everything on piracy. It's like claiming any other piece of software works 100% of the time with no problems.

dfn_doe
Apr 12, 2005

Crackbone posted:

Please quit blaming everything on piracy. It's like claiming any other piece of software works 100% of the time with no problems.

Its not that I'm blaming everything on piracy, I'm just pointing out the elephant in the room. Not necessarily in this forum, but some of the other media/htpc forums I read I see the same sort of complaints about having trouble getting accelration working and it quickly becomes apparent through the course of trouble shooting that many people are using cracked, downrev versions of powerdvd and/or the media they are trying to play is of less than legit origins. SA's strict policies against filez tends to encourage people to not come out and say what exactly it is they may be up to when it comes to the specific software and media they are trying to play back. If it is just said up front that alot of that stuff may not work and the standard troubleshooting config might not be helpful will save everyone here alot of time troubleshooting problems that aren't being accurately described.

My intention isn't to point fingers, it is to help other like minded people build and operate HTPC systems.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
I would just like to say that I am impressed with my work with MCE. I have essentially bolted on poo poo to turn it into a mega-application.

My system so far looks like thus:

-Windows Vista MCE
+ Hauppauge HVR-1800 (connected to cable, 2-99 stations)
+ HDHomeRun w/ big metal antenna (HD OTA, two tuners)
+ Netflix plugin for movies/shows with Play Now
+ dvrmstoolbox for commercial skip
+ MCE MST app for power management
+ links to international news TV and radio streams in a folder in Video Library. I can load up the most recent CBC news broadcast, or watch BBC news live.
+ Some 64-bit nightly of FFDshow so that I can watch other types of video files from Video Library.

I'm presently looking for a low-resource podcast app so I can download video podcasts to a library, have that monitored, and essentially have a channel of my favourite podcasts as well.

I realize that some day someone will make some open source application that does all of this stuff out of the box, but I still think MCE is good at what it does and though it took a lot of time to expand it, the work was worth it.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Jun 22, 2008

SuperNuts
May 7, 2004

From the frozen north a... squirrel emerges?!?
:haw:
I've recently purchased a 42 inch 1080p TV and I need a HTPC to go with it. I've been reading this thread and googling stuff for hours, and I'm a little confused still about how much processing power I'll need for 1080p content. From what I've read it seems like all I really need is a modern low powered processor combined with an ATi 2600 series card. Is this correct? I've been thinking about the E2180 Allendale 2.0ghz with some cheap ram. Would this processor combined with the 2600 be enough to play back the most intense 1080p content? Or should I get a beefier processor?

Also, there are some motherboards with HDMI output and people are using them with no video card at all. Some people say it plays 1080p fine, others say it stutters sometimes. Would something like an e7200 be enough without a video card?

So far, from what I've read, I think the following may be perfectly able to play 1080p:
ASUS 2600PRO 256mb
2gb (2x1gb PC6400) mushkin cheap ram
Gigabyte GA-G31M-S2L LGA 775
Intel E2180

Total= $226.96

Of course, I'd have to get a hard drive, case, and power supply also. I also have absolutely no idea about AMD or any of their processors, I've used Intel since forever ago, but I wouldn't mind purchasing some AMD products if it meant a cheaper solution. I basically want to be as cheap as possible without ever seeing suttering/quality loss. Is 2gb of ram overkill? I may as well keep the 2gb any way because ram is so cheap right now. Any way, if anyone could give me some input/insight into this I'd appreciate it.

SuperNuts fucked around with this message at 11:06 on Jun 22, 2008

Munkaboo
Aug 5, 2002

If you know the words, you can join in too
He's bigger! faster! stronger too!
He's the newest member of the Jags O-Line crew!

Korgoth posted:

Of course, I'd have to get a hard drive, case, and power supply also. I also have absolutely no idea about AMD or any of their processors, I've used Intel since forever ago, but I wouldn't mind purchasing some AMD products if it meant a cheaper solution. I basically want to be as cheap as possible without ever seeing suttering/quality loss. Is 2gb of ram overkill? I may as well keep the 2gb any way because ram is so cheap right now. Any way, if anyone could give me some input/insight into this I'd appreciate it.

From what I've gathered, if you are playing filez at 1080p, its all processor. If you are playing legit blu-ray, its about half and half GPU/CPU. As for that processor, I have no idea. But I would get a motherboard that has HDMI/Optical/or Coax, and has integrated graphics, as nowadays they are quite good and have the HD acceleration.

LITE-ON 20X DVD±R DVD Burner Black IDE Model DH-20A4P-04 - OEM $23

IN WIN IW-BT611T.300SL Silver Best Performed 0.8mm SECC Japanese Steel metal MicroATX Desktop Computer Case 300W Power Supply - $50 Retail

Western Digital Caviar SE16 WD5000AAKS 500GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive $80

GIGABYTE GA-MA74GM-S2H AM2+/AM2 AMD 740G HDMI Micro ATX AMD Motherboard $67 - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128328

mushkin 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit $43

AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+ Windsor 3.0GHz Socket AM2 125W Dual-Core Processor Model ADX6000CZBOX $114- Retail http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103773

Total: 376

I too just want 1080p content, and am curious if that 6000+ is overkill.

Also, for an alternative build where im not worried about 1080p (this one is for my parents whose TV can only do 1080i), I was thinking of slapping on the AMD Athlon 64 X2 4600+ Windsor 2.4GHz Socket AM2 65W http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103064 to get the cost down to $318. Opinions? Could I get it even lower?

Munkaboo fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Jun 22, 2008

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Munkaboo posted:

From what I've gathered, if you are playing filez at 1080p, its all processor. If you are playing legit blu-ray, its about half and half GPU/CPU.

That's not really correct. There are multiple ways to playback HD content, no matter what the source (bluray, filez, or even HD quicktime trailers). They are all encoded in h.264, which the important part.

You can do it all on the processor. This is very intensive, and you will need a fast chip to do it (absolute minimum 2.2Ghz Core 2, probably higher to be safe).

You can also get a video card that offloads the work from the processor (Geforce 8X00 and above, or ATI 2X00 or above). This lets you use essentially any processor you want, but requires that you have a software player that will utilize the video card (PowerDVD, WinDVD, possibly a couple of free players).

quote:

LITE-ON 20X DVD±R DVD Burner Black IDE Model DH-20A4P-04 - OEM $23

IN WIN IW-BT611T.300SL Silver Best Performed 0.8mm SECC Japanese Steel metal MicroATX Desktop Computer Case 300W Power Supply - $50 Retail

Western Digital Caviar SE16 WD5000AAKS 500GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive $80

GIGABYTE GA-MA74GM-S2H AM2+/AM2 AMD 740G HDMI Micro ATX AMD Motherboard $67 - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128328

mushkin 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit $43

AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+ Windsor 3.0GHz Socket AM2 125W Dual-Core Processor Model ADX6000CZBOX $114- Retail http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103773

Total: 376

I too just want 1080p content, and am curious if that 6000+ is overkill.

Also, for an alternative build where im not worried about 1080p (this one is for my parents whose TV can only do 1080i), I was thinking of slapping on the AMD Athlon 64 X2 4600+ Windsor 2.4GHz Socket AM2 65W http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103064 to get the cost down to $318. Opinions? Could I get it even lower?

If you're going CPU decode only, the 6000 is probably a decent choice, although it's going to run very hot. You could also get a 5000 x2 black edition which is about $80 at newegg and has an unlocked multiplier (so it's incredibly easy to overclock).

You other option is to replace that motherboard with a 780g chipset, which has built in video card with HD decoding on it, and dropping down to a cheaper CPU.

SuperNuts
May 7, 2004

Okay, revised it a bit then. Please tell me if you don't think this could spit 1080p out for hours and hours with no problems:

GIGABYTE GA-MA78GM-S2H AM2+/AM2 AMD 780G HDMI Micro ATX AMD Motherboard - Retail
2x1gb mushkin ram
AMD Athlon 64 X2 5000+ Brisbane 2.6GHz
Antec Aluminum Veris Fusion Black 430 Micro ATX

This comes out to about $460 with a hard drive before shipping. It's a bit more than I wanted to pay, but I'll do it if this is what is required for 1080p content. This seems a bit high to me just for a HTPC.

drat, can an xbox 360 act as a HTPC because I'd rather buy that then another PC. I hear it's gimped for doing that though. I'm used to my good old origina xbox + xbmc setup.

Edit: Yeah I really think this is too much, especially when I could do it for about $200 with a 2600pro card...

SuperNuts fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Jun 23, 2008

Munkaboo
Aug 5, 2002

If you know the words, you can join in too
He's bigger! faster! stronger too!
He's the newest member of the Jags O-Line crew!

Crackbone posted:

If you're going CPU decode only, the 6000 is probably a decent choice, although it's going to run very hot. You could also get a 5000 x2 black edition which is about $80 at newegg and has an unlocked multiplier (so it's incredibly easy to overclock).

You other option is to replace that motherboard with a 780g chipset, which has built in video card with HD decoding on it, and dropping down to a cheaper CPU.

Thanks, I decided to go with the 780G 90 dollar motherboard instead and got the black edition like you suggested. About how much can you overclock with the stock cooling heatsink/fan?

edit: drat, doesnt come with one. Would I be shooting myself in the foot if I got a cheap 10 dollar heatsink/fan if I want to get to 3.1ghz? What about this? http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835185125

Munkaboo fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Jun 23, 2008

SuperNuts
May 7, 2004

Crackbone posted:

You can do it all on the processor. This is very intensive, and you will need a fast chip to do it (absolute minimum 2.2Ghz Core 2, probably higher to be safe).

You can also get a video card that offloads the work from the processor (Geforce 8X00 and above, or ATI 2X00 or above). This lets you use essentially any processor you want, but requires that you have a software player that will utilize the video card (PowerDVD, WinDVD, possibly a couple of free players).

I assume the ATI 2X00 or above solution is cheaper? I want the cheapest solution while still giving small headroom to ensure no skipping/playback issues.

Ashex
Jun 25, 2007

These pipes are cleeeean!!!
I'm currently using my laptop with mediaportal until I build my htpc. Can anyone recommend a remote that works with both windows and linux? I got a new 32" lcd tv that I put across the room, my old tv was next to the bed so it kinda sucks to walk across the room to select or pause the video.

Anyways, I'm planning on getting all this for my mediacenter:

Intel DG45FC (out mid-july)
Intel E7600 (no gurantee the hardware decoders will work in linux)
2GB DDR2-800
120GB 2.5" 5400rpm SATA drive (OS and cache, videos will be on a file server)

If I go with linux, I've heard that I may not get the advantage of the hardware decoders, so I'm going for a faster processor, what's the lowest speed I can get away with for 720p (sometimes 1080p) video?

Fuzz1111
Mar 17, 2001

Sorry. I couldn't find anyone to make you a cool cipher-themed avatar, and the look on this guy's face cracks me the fuck up.

Crackbone posted:

The e21/2200 series are good chips, but at stock speeds they're not going to be able to handle high bitrate HD material. e4500s are faster and can still struggle on the higher end of the 1080p scale. Sure you can overclock, but then you're dealing with O/C on (primarily) mATX boards, and the added heat and noise in HTPC cases becomes a concern.
I'm using the bsel mode to overclock mine from 200 to 266fsb, which means appart from the CPU, nothing is overclocked, and running as it would with a CPU that runs at 266fsb stock.

Apparently the E2200 can handle this quite easily with a stock cooler. I'm using a zalman 8700 which does fit when using this board in an antec minuet 300 case (well I did have to cut 4mm off the tab on fastening clip to clear the nearest RAM slot)... The power supply starts almost as soon as the board ends so if the 8700 fits in this thing, it should fit in almost anything.

Everything runs very cool and quiet (CPU only hits 42 degrees running orthos, which is a fair bit cooler than my E6600 runs at stock speeds with a better cooler in an antec P180 case).

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Ashex posted:

I'm currently using my laptop with mediaportal until I build my htpc. Can anyone recommend a remote that works with both windows and linux? I got a new 32" lcd tv that I put across the room, my old tv was next to the bed so it kinda sucks to walk across the room to select or pause the video.

Anyways, I'm planning on getting all this for my mediacenter:

Intel DG45FC (out mid-july)
Intel E7600 (no gurantee the hardware decoders will work in linux)
2GB DDR2-800
120GB 2.5" 5400rpm SATA drive (OS and cache, videos will be on a file server)

If I go with linux, I've heard that I may not get the advantage of the hardware decoders, so I'm going for a faster processor, what's the lowest speed I can get away with for 720p (sometimes 1080p) video?

Linux has no software that will enable video card HD processing. For 1080p cpu playback, you should be shooting for a minimum of 2.2Ghz on your chip, and potentially even higher. Bitrates vary wildly between HD material, so it's hard to hit a "magic number". Linux's low overhead should reduce the needed speed vs. Windows, but by how much I'm not sure.

Fuzz1111 posted:

I'm using the bsel mode to overclock mine from 200 to 266fsb, which means appart from the CPU, nothing is overclocked, and running as it would with a CPU that runs at 266fsb stock.

Apparently the E2200 can handle this quite easily with a stock cooler. I'm using a zalman 8700 which does fit when using this board in an antec minuet 300 case (well I did have to cut 4mm off the tab on fastening clip to clear the nearest RAM slot)... The power supply starts almost as soon as the board ends so if the 8700 fits in this thing, it should fit in almost anything.

Everything runs very cool and quiet (CPU only hits 42 degrees running orthos, which is a fair bit cooler than my E6600 runs at stock speeds with a better cooler in an antec P180 case).

Sure, it's possible, but it involves additional work and has additional potential pitfalls.

Crackbone fucked around with this message at 12:51 on Jun 23, 2008

Ashex
Jun 25, 2007

Crackbone posted:

Linux has no software that will enable video card HD processing. For 1080p cpu playback, you should be shooting for a minimum of 2.2Ghz on your chip, and potentially even higher. Bitrates vary wildly between HD material, so it's hard to hit a "magic number". Linux's low overhead should reduce the needed speed vs. Windows, but by how much I'm not sure.

I had figured as much. I was holding onto a small ray of hope that Intel would roll some drivers for it, but it's not something I want to rely on.\
I'm planning on loading linux on it then testing it out to see if everything I want to use works properly. If not, I'll drop linux and load windows onto it.
The E7200 should cover it then?

It's pretty doubtful I'll run anything 1080p, most of what I have is 720p, there's just the odd few that are higher.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Ashex posted:

I had figured as much. I was holding onto a small ray of hope that Intel would roll some drivers for it, but it's not something I want to rely on.\
I'm planning on loading linux on it then testing it out to see if everything I want to use works properly. If not, I'll drop linux and load windows onto it.
The E7200 should cover it then?

It's pretty doubtful I'll run anything 1080p, most of what I have is 720p, there's just the odd few that are higher.

720p is pretty much a cakewalk, even for older processors, so you should be fine. Keep in mind that if you're running bluray discs, the video is encoded in 1080pso you'll need to be able to decoded that resolution no matter what your display actually outputs.

Ashex
Jun 25, 2007

Crackbone posted:

720p is pretty much a cakewalk, even for older processors, so you should be fine. Keep in mind that if you're running bluray discs, the video is encoded in 1080pso you'll need to be able to decoded that resolution no matter what your display actually outputs.

Gotcha. I'm probably going to go with the E7200. I probably won't be running bluray discs with this htpc unless I purchase a slimline bluray drive, which isn't happening for at least a few years.

H.R. Paperstacks
May 1, 2006

This is America
My president is black
and my Lambo is blue
I finally got around to putting a tuner card in my HTPC this week and have run into a few small hiccups.

System:

Intel Allendale OC'd to 3ghz
2GB RAM
Nvida 7950GTX

Tuner Card:
Hauppauge WinTV-HVR-1600 Hybrid Video Recorder
Model #: HAU 1199

I have noticed when watching SD TV through the mediacenter, the overall size of the screen on my 47" LCD is a lot different than what it was when it went through the digital cable box my cable provider (COX) uses. Are they doing some sort of resizing? I cannot find any options in MCE (Vista Ultimate) to make the TV stream bigger. This really isn't a major issue, since most of the stuff we watch is OTA HD anyway, which leads to my next issue.

When view OTA HD only on ABC affiliate, the audio seems to lag behind, but watching any other OTA HD stream the audio is spot on.

Any thoughts on what I can check to see if this is a system issue? All other styles of playback are fine (DiVX/XViD, 1080i/p downloading content, etc).

SynMoo
Dec 4, 2006

As far as stretching, while watching something, press the Info button and choose Zoom. You'll be able to switch between different scaling modes.

Not sure about the lag on one channel.

Shrimpy
May 18, 2004

Sir, I'm going to need to see your ticket.

Crackbone posted:

Without going into long details, MPEG2 acceleration is worthless (any processor from 5 years ago can decode it with no problem), WMV9 isn't typically used for HD video (and thus acceleration isn't that great), and the VC-1 acceleration is about the same at the early Geforce 8000 series (500/600), which is to say minimal at best. The press releases don't mean much compared to the experiences of users, of which you can read lots and lots of over at AVSforum (if you deal with asperger-videophiles).

On top of all that x264 is really the codec that puts a strain on processors, and what almost every piece of HD media uses now.

The G45 is incorporating "proper" HD HWA, that truly moves the majority of the processing to the video card. Even then you require software that supports HWA and those are few in number, and none in Linux at the moment, to reference your post.

Short version: The press release is largely marketing bullshit, x264 is the only one that truly matters if you're wanting your video card to "handle" high def material. Otherwise stick to a beefy processor to run it.

I'm planning on running Mythbuntu on my HTPC -- does this mean rather than spending time trying to find a motherboard/video card that supports "proper" HD HWA I should just worry about the processor instead?

wang souffle
Apr 26, 2002

Shrimpy posted:

I'm planning on running Mythbuntu on my HTPC -- does this mean rather than spending time trying to find a motherboard/video card that supports "proper" HD HWA I should just worry about the processor instead?
Correct. Nothing is hardware accelerated in Linux at the moment, and most likely won't be anytime soon.

Uziel
Jun 28, 2004

Ask me about losing 200lbs, and becoming the Viking God of W&W.
I'm looking at building my HTPC towards the end of the year once Nehalem is out, and I have a few questions.

I'm looking to use my HTPC for additional tasks such as video editing and was looking at a large amount of ram. I already own a copy of Vista 64 that I have yet to install to any machine. Another function that I'd like to do is backup my blu ray titles to hard drive as We are having a baby this year and any physical media is going into storage.

Are there any issues with Vista 64 and the programs that would be involved in the above?

My understanding was that with Vista's Media Center, I have my ISO files in a directory, point VMC to that directory and it mounts the ISO with daemon tools for play, then unmounts once done, which is totally transparent to the end user.

Also, I want to run only one HDMI cable from HTCP to my receiver's hdmi inputs. That means audio as well, however since SPDIF doesn't support all HD audio, what are my options?

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Uziel posted:

Are there any issues with Vista 64 and the programs that would be involved in the above?
Getting 64 bit versions of codecs can be a pain in the rear end. It doesn't matter if you use a 32 bit editing app supposedly.

I have no idea how VMC reacts to ISO files. There is, for all intents and purposes, an x64 copy of Media Player under all that skin, so if you can get Daemon Tools and all that poo poo to operate correctly in WMP, there's a good chance it'll work in VMC unless you're somehow dependant on 32 bit device drivers and you wind up with a compatibility problem. The copy of Media Player that comes with Vista x64 is 32, so you may experience common hiccups involving codecs and the like where things work in WMP but not in VMC.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I'm tired of switching my Hauppauge HVR950's coax from antenna to cable all the time. Does anyone know if attaching a splitter in reverse (two inputs, one output) will let me connect both cables to the tuner? Obviously I'd still need to tell the tuner whether it is set up as an ATSC or NTSC tuner, but that is much easier than unscrewing a cable and screwing in another one.

Will the two signals (ota atsc and basic analog cable) interfere with each other? Do splitters even work in "reverse" that way?

I'm jumping on the Mythbuntu train as well. I have this HVR950 that I'll move from my iMac to my HTPC box, a Twinhan FTA DVB-S card, and a few ATI TV wonders I've salvaged. Now if only I hadn't fried my motherboard two days ago. That'll teach me to make sure that there aren't any spare motherboard posts lying under the motherboard after I've assembled it :suicide:

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Jun 28, 2008

dfn_doe
Apr 12, 2005

Martytoof posted:

I'm tired of switching my Hauppauge HVR950's coax from antenna to cable all the time. Does anyone know if attaching a splitter in reverse (two inputs, one output) will let me connect both cables to the tuner? Obviously I'd still need to tell the tuner whether it is set up as an ATSC or NTSC tuner, but that is much easier than unscrewing a cable and screwing in another one.

Will the two signals (ota atsc and basic analog cable) interfere with each other? Do splitters even work in "reverse" that way?

That won't work, but there are switch boxes for doing exactly this. I'm curious why you don't just us one of the other tuner cards you have to tune the ntsc cable stuff and keep the 950 dedicated to atsc tuning.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

dfn_doe posted:

That won't work, but there are switch boxes for doing exactly this. I'm curious why you don't just us one of the other tuner cards you have to tune the ntsc cable stuff and keep the 950 dedicated to atsc tuning.

I fried my HTPC motherboard so until I can get it replaced I'm back to using the 950 on my iMac which has no PCI slots, hence no way to use the other tuners :(

GateheaD
Sep 27, 2005

Gatorade me bitch

Korgoth posted:

Okay, revised it a bit then. Please tell me if you don't think this could spit 1080p out for hours and hours with no problems:

GIGABYTE GA-MA78GM-S2H AM2+/AM2 AMD 780G HDMI Micro ATX AMD Motherboard - Retail
2x1gb mushkin ram
AMD Athlon 64 X2 5000+ Brisbane 2.6GHz
Antec Aluminum Veris Fusion Black 430 Micro ATX

This comes out to about $460 with a hard drive before shipping. It's a bit more than I wanted to pay, but I'll do it if this is what is required for 1080p content. This seems a bit high to me just for a HTPC.

drat, can an xbox 360 act as a HTPC because I'd rather buy that then another PC. I hear it's gimped for doing that though. I'm used to my good old origina xbox + xbmc setup.

Edit: Yeah I really think this is too much, especially when I could do it for about $200 with a 2600pro card...

Don't listen to anyone else here, you can run a GIGABYTE GA-MA78GM-S2H with a sempron and still play 1080p video with the on board graphics.
It truly is the holy grail of HTPC.

T.C.
Feb 10, 2004

Believe.
Has anyone ever tried using firewire out on a shaw HD box in Canada? I can't find solid information on it anywhere. Drivers *do* exist for at least some of the boxes them and there are pieces of software that will enable channel changing via firewire in media center, but the examples of people with working systems seem to all be in the US and vague.

I don't think I'm going to pay the idiotic prices required for HD service, but I'm curious overall, and I might want to go up a tier in cable, at which point I might as well get a digital box. I'd have the same issues with needing to get firewire output on a digital box if I wanted to avoid a IR blaster setup.

BrownThunder
Oct 26, 2005

EXTEND BEN!
Forever and ever and ever

I'm not sure if this is the perfect place for this question, but it makes the most sense to put it here.

I'm trying to convert my entire media library into something that will play on 360, PS3, and my PC without an error message or unsupported codec.

IS there a common audio + video codec that works on all three of these? If so, what software will convert to this?

I've got some HD and SD movies that I'd really like to be universally compatible across the entire house.

Expiration Date
Jun 6, 2008
How does Vista Ultimate compare to XP Media Center as far as everything goes?

I was previously thinking of just going with something simple like UnRaid to just have a huge NAS, but I'm reconsidering and I think I want to go the media center type route..

I have a copy of Vista Ultimate lying around (got it free, hated it and went back to XP) and I think I can tolerate it on a machine that I don't really interface with on a regular basis.. assuming it does everything I need it to do? The box says it comes with "media center" but I didn't ever use it when I had it installed so I'm not familiar here. I'd rather not pony up the $120 for a copy of XP Media Center if Vista will work okay. I'm not expecting super awesome, just something that's gonna work when I want it to work.

kibbles and bits
Aug 24, 2006
Meow

Expiration Date posted:

I was previously thinking of just going with something simple like UnRaid to just have a huge NAS, but I'm reconsidering and I think I want to go the media center type route..

I have a copy of Vista Ultimate lying around (got it free, hated it and went back to XP) and I think I can tolerate it on a machine that I don't really interface with on a regular basis.. assuming it does everything I need it to do? The box says it comes with "media center" but I didn't ever use it when I had it installed so I'm not familiar here. I'd rather not pony up the $120 for a copy of XP Media Center if Vista will work okay. I'm not expecting super awesome, just something that's gonna work when I want it to work.
Check out "HTPC Front End" Thread.

Vista Ultimate is what I have, and so far I haven't noticed a huge difference in the software for an HTPC. I would hang myself using it for anything else, but the Media Center application on Vista is decent and gets updated with some groovy internet features that didn't work in 2005. It seems a tiny bit unstable, but it just likes to be restart every 3 weeks or so.

Anyway, I'm an enthusiast about my HTPC. I know there are bigger and better, but I went for cheaper and better. So check it out.

Here's my setup.

PC Specifically... Cheap and Decent.
Shuttle SG33G5 Intel G33 Socket 775 SFF Barebone / Audio / Video / HDMI / PCI Express / Gigabit LAN / S/PDIF / USB 2.0 & Firewire / eSATA / 250 Watt Power Supply

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=3247598&CatId=2405

+INTEL Core 2 Duo E4500 2.2GHz FSB800MHz
+2gb of rammy ram ram
+Over 2TB of storage

Juriko
Jan 28, 2006

BrownThunder posted:

I'm not sure if this is the perfect place for this question, but it makes the most sense to put it here.

I'm trying to convert my entire media library into something that will play on 360, PS3, and my PC without an error message or unsupported codec.

IS there a common audio + video codec that works on all three of these? If so, what software will convert to this?

I've got some HD and SD movies that I'd really like to be universally compatible across the entire house.

Divx/Xvid. It will take some playing with though, because it seems each of the systems have their quirks with it.

kibbles and bits
Aug 24, 2006
Meow

Juriko posted:

Divx/Xvid. It will take some playing with though, because it seems each of the systems have their quirks with it.
Yes, sadly you have to go with Xvids. They're hard to come by out on the interweb, but you can make them all on your own as well from H.264 or .mkv

here's mkv > avi

http://forum.videohelp.com/topic241422.html

but that forum has a bunch of good guides if you're looking to convert things to be compatible across all your platforms.

The Human Cow
May 24, 2004

hurry up

Expiration Date posted:

I have VMC running on my HTPC and love it. I can run it for weeks at a time without any problems at all, and it works 100% of the time when I come home and want to watch TV or a video, which is all I ask of it.

Expiration Date
Jun 6, 2008
okay, second stupid question time (and if nobody knows I'll ask sh/sc but it's a bit more relevant here?).

Is there any way to force vista to believe that you have a TV hooked up to an nvidia card? (gf 7800)

I'm in remote desktop with no monitor, and of course vista disables the nvidia control panel. I'm totally lost here, I can't figure anything out and of course when I plug a monitor in and go from there, it doesn't let me configure a TV. All the stuff I've googled so far tells me to plug it in and boom it's going to work, but it ain't workin so far and i'm stumped. I just want to force the thing to send a TV signal out even if it doesn't think it has a signal.

I think I should probably be using an ATI card instead, but I'm hoping to stick with the recycled parts here and spend all my cash on drives.

In that instance, is there a recommended Vista-friendly tv tuner/capture/playback card? I don't need HDMI, the TV doesn't do it. I'm pretty much stuck with composite outs, maybe svideo if I unplug the PS2 or something.

metachronos
Sep 11, 2001

When I roll, baby I roll DEEP
I'm trying to find a HTPC enclosure that I saw a while back on here but the name totally escapes me. All I remember is that they were really expensive, and the case was slim and black with a white-lit ring on it. The company had a kind of exotic sounding name. Argh this is bugging the poo poo out of me.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

metachronos posted:

I'm trying to find a HTPC enclosure that I saw a while back on here but the name totally escapes me. All I remember is that they were really expensive, and the case was slim and black with a white-lit ring on it. The company had a kind of exotic sounding name. Argh this is bugging the poo poo out of me.

Omaura?

metachronos
Sep 11, 2001

When I roll, baby I roll DEEP

The_Franz posted:

Omaura?

That's it, thanks!

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

Quick question here, searched around on other forums for answers but came up empty.

I bought a new Vista PC with a TV Tuner, there doesn't seem to be a slot in the back for a CableCard and there are two plugs that say ATSC and NTSC. I tried to plug my cable line from the wall directly into the TV Tuner and Windows Media Center could only recognize my regular local channels. However, I have an HD DVR box from Time Warner Cable in NYC.

Do I need to keep my existing setup as is and just run an additional coax cable from my set-top box to my TV Tuner card. Then will Media Center be able to recognize my digital cable channels and such? I thought it would have been as easy as: run cable line from outside straight into TV Tuner on PC and presto, but apparently not.

Thanks in advance.

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006
I want your happy place to slap you as it flies by.

Apologies, as I'm sure this has been discussed, but I can't find it anywhere.

Is there any way to make Windows XP MC play nicer with multiple audio tracks or am I missing something incredible basic?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

ShoogaSlim posted:

Quick question here, searched around on other forums for answers but came up empty.

I bought a new Vista PC with a TV Tuner, there doesn't seem to be a slot in the back for a CableCard and there are two plugs that say ATSC and NTSC. I tried to plug my cable line from the wall directly into the TV Tuner and Windows Media Center could only recognize my regular local channels. However, I have an HD DVR box from Time Warner Cable in NYC.

Do I need to keep my existing setup as is and just run an additional coax cable from my set-top box to my TV Tuner card. Then will Media Center be able to recognize my digital cable channels and such? I thought it would have been as easy as: run cable line from outside straight into TV Tuner on PC and presto, but apparently not.

Thanks in advance.

What? No, nothing you do will let you get anything past 2-99 since your card doesn't take CableCard. You might get some HD channels if you use NTSC coax with an antenna.