Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

The Dark One posted:

I thought SED was supposed to be the 'easy/cheap' take on the idea behind FED screens. How did it get killed off?

Lawsuits. During the development of SED Canon licensed some technology from Nano Proprietary Inc. Canon then shared this patented information with their partner Toshiba during development of the technology which resulted in them being sued by Nano Proprietary for breach of contract. After that, SED just kind of fizzled away.

The_Franz fucked around with this message at 14:27 on Jul 3, 2008

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wwb
Aug 17, 2004

To whoever had the amazon price matching idea: I love you. I just got $228 back on my LN46A750. W00t.

Kaboobi
Jan 5, 2005

SHAKE IT BABY!
SALT THAT LADY!

So the only real difference between the Samsung Series 6 and Series 7 TVs are DLNA? Is there any way that its actually worth the extra $200, or does it not matter at all. I have a modded Xbox and a 360 and soon a PS3, so I don't think I'll need any of it, plus I'm majoring in a CS degree so I know plenty about networking. I also don't give a drat about the 1GB of preloaded recipes and stuff.

Also I doubt it but can these guys take 1080p through component :shobon:

Kaboobi fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Jul 3, 2008

Alpha
Dec 17, 2004

owned

wwb posted:

To whoever had the amazon price matching idea: I love you. I just got $228 back on my LN46A750. W00t.

We do what we can. It's one of the main reasons I buy so much stuff on it.

Aegri Somnia posted:

But I can't price match them for the $1750 price because that's not what it is anymore, right?

Nope, you have to catch it at the lower price.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost
After some back-and-forth, I finally decided on a Panasonic TH-42PZ800U from amazon.com. I could have saved a good chunk of money with the 85U but the combination of what I saw in person and read in reviews coupled with the fact that I'm keeping this thing until I have a basement and can set up a true projection-based home theater tipped me in the more wallet-denting direction. =) The audio setup is going to have to wait a few months, probably, but I'm not terribly concerned about hat either since my income change in a year or two will mean that I'll be replacing anything that I can afford now with something a good deal better.

I could use some help on the UPS front. Any recommendations for brands, resellers, whatever?

Ashex
Jun 25, 2007

These pipes are cleeeean!!!
For amazon price matching, I recommend Camelcamelcamel. It's built by a goon and it pretty awesome. Give it an item, and it will notify you when it drops below X price.

Actual Site

SuperNuts
May 7, 2004

From the frozen north a... squirrel emerges?!?
:haw:
Okay, I just got a new Plasma (TH-42PZ80U) and immediately noticed 2 black pixels near the upper right. After a bit, 1 went away and now it's down to 1 black pixel. When I turn the TV off and on, the "dead" pixel moves. It doesn't ever move very far, but it keeps hopping around this small area on the screen... so I guess this isn't a dead pixel? What's the deal and is there a way to fix it?

BlindNinja
Sep 2, 2004

lurking in the shadows

Ashex posted:

For amazon price matching, I recommend Camelcamelcamel. It's built by a goon and it pretty awesome. Give it an item, and it will notify you when it drops below X price.

Actual Site

Beautiful. Exactly what I need.

Should I be considering any other plasmas besides the Panasonic 42/46/50'' 77U/700U/80U/85U/8000U? I'm looking to spend no more than $1500, preferably closer to $1000, and I want 1080P. Basically I'm wondering if I can get comparable/better TVs for the same or better prices (looking at Amazon, which is good already).

Also, if I buy new from a 3rd party on Amazon, will I still get white glove delivery and all that jazz?

AlkalinePunk
Oct 2, 2003

Your Mix: INFERIOR! Soundwave's Best of Emo: SUPERIOR!
So, here is my question Samsung 650 series, is it worth the 600 or so dollars to get the 52" or will the 46" be sufficiant. I am in an apartment and we sit about 10 feet from the tv.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Nap Ghost

AlkalinePunk posted:

So, here is my question Samsung 650 series, is it worth the 600 or so dollars to get the 52" or will the 46" be sufficiant. I am in an apartment and we sit about 10 feet from the tv.

Funny you should bring up those numbers. I threw together a hack of a picture to see what a 50" television would look like in our living room from ten feet away, which is where our couch is.

was the result. That TV stand is 36" wide. That's a HUGE loving television from ten feet back.

Monitor Burn
Nov 29, 2001
No clever to be found here

How do I get rid of overscanning when using DVI-HDMI on a 42" TH-PX80U?

I've tried 1024x768, 1366x768, 1280x720, and 1360x768, and they all cut off the border of the screen so I can't see the menu bars.

Is there a setting on the TV I have to enable for it to function as a computer monitor?

I'm running this off a geforce 7900

EvilLarry29
Oct 6, 2003

"We have how much salary cap left? Fuck it, let's just start giving money away."

Monitor Burn posted:

I've tried 1024x768, 1366x768, 1280x720, and 1360x768, and they all cut off the border of the screen so I can't see the menu bars.

Is there a setting on the TV I have to enable for it to function as a computer monitor?

Have you tried the resizing the desktop through the nvidia control panel?

Skelezoid
Mar 30, 2003

"I looked in her eyes and realised how rare it is to find someone willing to have sex with me."

Monitor Burn posted:

I've setup 2 720p (really 768p as you're finding out) TV's in the past for my office and I couldn't get either to display 1:1 without overscanning. The best I could do was using nVidia's driver, there's an advanced option in there to adjust for overscan by cropping the desktop. I usually ended up with something like 1208x676 so I could see my menu bars.

I just bought myself a 42" TH-PZ77U (nearly the same as yours, but 1080p) and there's no overscanning at all, full 1920x1080 1:1 pixel mapping and everything is perfectly visible. I don't recommend 720p sets to anyone looking to hookup their TV to a computer if they can afford it. Although some 720p sets with VGA ports play well with PCs, HDMI-DVI is often a completely different story.

EvilLarry29
Oct 6, 2003

"We have how much salary cap left? Fuck it, let's just start giving money away."

Slapdick posted:

I've setup 2 720p (really 768p as you're finding out) TV's in the past for my office and I couldn't get either to display 1:1 without overscanning. The best I could do was using nVidia's driver, there's an advanced option in there to adjust for overscan by cropping the desktop. I usually ended up with something like 1208x676 so I could see my menu bars.

I just bought myself a 42" TH-PZ77U (nearly the same as yours, but 1080p) and there's no overscanning at all, full 1920x1080 1:1 pixel mapping and everything is perfectly visible. I don't recommend 720p sets to anyone looking to hookup their TV to a computer if they can afford it. Although some 720p sets with VGA ports play well with PCs, HDMI-DVI is often a completely different story.

Just outta curiosity, what video cards did the computers have and what OS were they running?

Skelezoid
Mar 30, 2003

"I looked in her eyes and realised how rare it is to find someone willing to have sex with me."

EvilLarry29 posted:

Just outta curiosity, what video cards did the computers have and what OS were they running?

I believe one was running a 7600GS and the other was a 6800GT. All were running Windows XP 32bit. Honestly, I think it boils down to whether the TV has a VGA port or not. HDMI-DVI on a 720p set is begging for trouble where VGA is usually a safe bet. In 1080p land, HDMI-DVI is king and VGA tends to be the "gimped" input on some sets.

Aegri Somnia
Sep 19, 2006

by Fragmaster

Alpha posted:

Nope, you have to catch it at the lower price.

Yeah, it sucks. I guess that's the gamble though. I'm keeping an eye on it daily. It just dropped $20 from the price I bought it from. Hopefully it will drop again next week. I have until the 13th.

Boner Wad
Nov 16, 2003
I'm looking at getting a 1080p HDTV. I'd like to get something at 40" and I happened to see the following two on sale at Amazon. Are these good deals and exceptional TV's or should I wait and buy something else? I will probably not be buying a surround system and just be using the internal speakers. I also will mainly be using either watching live TV or stuff from my HTPC. I may purchase a PS3 for Blu-ray and video games at some point.

Sony Bravia S-Series KDL-40S4100 40-Inch 1080p LCD HDTV
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B0017Q2W6G/ref=nosim/somethi-20

Samsung LN40A550 40-Inch 1080p LCD HDTV
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B001418W2C/ref=nosim/somethi-20

Both are about the same price. The Samsung has "30,000:1 Dynamic contrast ratio", not sure what that means and what the difference between that and the Sony's 2500:1 contrast ratio (no "dynamic" in there).

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

"dynamic" contrast ratio is basically just a marketing number, feel free to ignore it. Those are both good sets but the sound will probable be better out of the Sony because of the bigger forward-facing speakers.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Sears is unloading the 2007's. They still had a few Sony SXRD's left. Went in to check out the 55" for $1299 and 10% off, ended up with an open box 50". Perfect condition, no scratches at all. With the 10% off, came to $720.

Dr Rotcod
May 20, 2004
I see the consistently reoccurring disappointment and failure you will continue to cause yourselves.
Alright guys, after reading 75% of this 100+ page thread I'm going to choose between these two:

Panasonic Viera TH-42PZ85U 42-Inch 1080p Plasma HDTV
http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-Viera-TH-42PZ85U-42-Inch-Plasma/dp/B00142JKRW/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1215316544&sr=1-2

http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-LN40A550-40-Inch-1080p-HDTV/dp/B001418W2C/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1215317770&sr=1-1

Panasonic is a plasma and two inches bigger than the Samsung. The Samsung is LCD. The Panasonic is slightly cheaper for more inches. Are there any vital differences that would make me choose one over the other? Which brand has better blacks?

Boner Wad
Nov 16, 2003

Dr Rotcod posted:

Alright guys, after reading 75% of this 100+ page thread I'm going to choose between these two:

http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-Viera-TH-42PZ85U-42-Inch-Plasma/dp/B00142JKRW/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1215316544&sr=1-2

http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-LN40A550-40-Inch-1080p-HDTV/dp/B001418W2C/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1215317770&sr=1-1

Panasonic is a plasma and two inches bigger than the Samsung. The Samsung is LCD. The Panasonic is slightly cheaper for more inches. Are there any vital differences that would make me choose one over the other? Which brand has better blacks?

I went to Sears today and looked at the A550. The quality is pretty good but at the same time, the colors seemed a little exaggerated compared to the Sony. I wasn't looking for a plasma so I couldn't comment on the Panasonic.

Skelezoid
Mar 30, 2003

Dr Rotcod posted:

The plasma will win in blacks hands down. I was deciding between these two TVs and went Panasonic after seeing both side-by-side. I was about to buy the 85U but last minute I got a good deal on an open box 42PZ77U (last year's 85U).

eric
Apr 27, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
I would also give the edge to the 85u although, however you will be happy with the a550 as well. If you do get the a550 get a sound system because the speakers are a disgrace.

Boner Wad
Nov 16, 2003

Boner Wad posted:

I'm looking at getting a 1080p HDTV. I'd like to get something at 40" and I happened to see the following two on sale at Amazon. Are these good deals and exceptional TV's or should I wait and buy something else? I will probably not be buying a surround system and just be using the internal speakers. I also will mainly be using either watching live TV or stuff from my HTPC. I may purchase a PS3 for Blu-ray and video games at some point.

Sony Bravia S-Series KDL-40S4100 40-Inch 1080p LCD HDTV
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B0017Q2W6G/ref=nosim/somethi-20

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B001418W2C/ref=nosim/somethi-20

Both are about the same price. The Samsung has "30,000:1 Dynamic contrast ratio", not sure what that means and what the difference between that and the Sony's 2500:1 contrast ratio (no "dynamic" in there).

I actually might end up getting the KDL-40K4100 instead of the S series. Is it worth the extra $200 for the K series vs the S series?

Belldandy
Sep 11, 2001

Do not try to boost in peace, because that is impossible. Instead only try to realize the truth, there is no boost.
I'm looking for a nice LCD TV for the bedroom, is there any reason I shouldn't get this:

Samsung LN32A650 32-Inch 1080p LCD HDTV with RED Touch of Color
http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-LN32A650-32-Inch-1080p-Touch/dp/B00141AYR8/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&s=audio-video&qid=1215359440&sr=1-5

I might also get the 40" since its only 400$ more with free shipping, however it might be a bit too large for my space.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Boner Wad posted:

I actually might end up getting the KDL-40K4100 instead of the S series. Is it worth the extra $200 for the K series vs the S series?

There's no suck thing as a 40K4100. Did you mean the V?

Quattro Bajeena
Sep 11, 2001

by Fragmaster
Best Buy is selling 50" Kuros for a pretty hefty discount. Any reason not to get one of these right now? Is some huge leap in plasma technology imminent?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Latvia posted:

Best Buy is selling 50" Kuros for a pretty hefty discount. Any reason not to get one of these right now? Is some huge leap in plasma technology imminent?

There is a new kuro out/coming out, so its prob just clearance of the old model, which is still loving fantastic.

Monitor Burn
Nov 29, 2001
No clever to be found here

Has anyone had issues with their Panasonic plasma? I've had my TH-42PX80U for less than a month, and today it refused to turn on. The power light flashes red 10 times, which is apparently a hardware error code. Is Panasonic known for being less reliable than Samsung with their plasmas, or did I just get unlucky with this one?

I can still return this to the store, so I am considering trading it in for another model.

samurai slowdown
Jun 11, 2006

POWER UP

Kaboobi posted:

Also I doubt it but can these guys take 1080p through component :shobon:

Yes they can take 1080p through component and I doubt you'll use any of the extra features in the 750 to justify the extra cost.

qirex posted:

"dynamic" contrast ratio is basically just a marketing number, feel free to ignore it. Those are both good sets but the sound will probable be better out of the Sony because of the bigger forward-facing speakers.

Most manufacturers still play fast and loose with "dynamic" contrast numbers but they aren't as bunk as they were a couple of years ago. I haven't heard of an LCD panel exceeding 3000:1 native but the biggest factor is in the way the display is illuminated. The reason for the quantum leap in LCD black levels last year was the switch over to CCFL backlighting (and LED backlighting in the case of Samsung's 81 series). The CCFL sets are pretty close to 10000:1 much like the RPTV DLP and LCoS sets that use an iris to control light output. The numbers are still fudged but it's not that big of an issue anymore.

The article that FogHelmut linked to on the last page reads like the HDTV equivalent of the Chewbacca defense. The writer is trying to compare front projectors, CCFL LCDs, LED LCDs and plasmas and it blows up in his face. If the actor on your 1000:1 screen is wearing a black suit it's going to look like a dark grey blob while the people watching the same image on their 10000:1 sets will be able to see all of the shadows and wrinkles. The only things he got right were the fact that manufacturers exaggerate their numbers and that watching your HDTV in a bright room makes your eyes perceive dark grey as black. When you're staring at the wall of flat panels in an electronics store and the feed switches over to the new Batman trailer your eyes will be able to tell you who is bullshitting and how much.

To answer FogHelmet's original question dark scenes are going to look like crap on anything less than 1200:1. To preemptively answer a few questions about his new purchase:
The SXRD's LCoS panels have a contrast ratio of 4000:1 which combined with the TV's iris puts you in the 10000:1 neighborhood. The response time is 5ms and your VGA input isn't artificially capped at 1366x768 like the older models. :)

Quattro Bajeena
Sep 11, 2001

by Fragmaster

Don Lapre posted:

There is a new kuro out/coming out, so its prob just clearance of the old model, which is still loving fantastic.
great, looks like I have two in my future then!

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

First cousin to the Black Rabbit himself. Such was Woundwort's monument...and perhaps it would not have displeased him.<

Monitor Burn posted:

Has anyone had issues with their Panasonic plasma? I've had my TH-42PX80U for less than a month, and today it refused to turn on.
I know everyone's experiences can be different, but I've got the same model and mine's been flawless so far, no problems at all.

Of course now I'll go home tonight and find mine blown up or something. :)

EvilLarry29
Oct 6, 2003

Monitor Burn posted:

Has anyone had issues with their Panasonic plasma? I've had my TH-42PX80U for less than a month, and today it refused to turn on. The power light flashes red 10 times, which is apparently a hardware error code. Is Panasonic known for being less reliable than Samsung with their plasmas, or did I just get unlucky with this one?

I can still return this to the store, so I am considering trading it in for another model.

The same thing happens to mine from time to time. I called Panasonic up the first time it happened, and all they could tell me was to power cycle it (and even that doesn't work every time). Since then I've figured a workaround: unplug the TV, unplug all HDMI connections, turn TV on, plug back in HDMI cables. Though, I can access the back of my TV easily, and when this started happening, I had already passed my return date, so if you can't do those things easily or don't want to, I would return it.

EvilLarry29
Oct 6, 2003

Edit =! quote

Tecumseh
Jun 17, 2005

Does anyone know the difference between the Samsung LN46A550 and the LNA46580, other than the latter seems to be exclusive to Best Buy?

samurai slowdown
Jun 11, 2006

POWER UP

Tecumseh posted:

Does anyone know the difference between the Samsung LN46A550 and the LNA46580, other than the latter seems to be exclusive to Best Buy?

The 580 has a glossy screen like the 650. That's the only difference between the 550 and the 580.

Boner Wad
Nov 16, 2003

Boner Wad posted:

Ended up buying a KDL-40XBR4 at Best Buy for $1499.99. Pretty nice deal I think. The only problem I have with it so far is that the fans are loud. I'm having a Sony tech come out to take a look but I'm pretty sure I'm stuck with the loud fans.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass
I'm getting ready to buy a TV this week sometime. After reading the recent pages of this thread I'm leaning towards the Panasonic TH-50PZ80U Plasma from Amazon for ~$1600.

The 800U version of that is out of my price range, but I'm curious about the 85U version. Someone earlier said they couldn't tell the difference between the 30,000:1 contrast ratio on the 85U and the 20,000:1 ratio on the 80U. I see on Fry's website they are both listed, but I don't know if they'll both be in store if I wanted to compare.

I'll be putting the TV in a room where we'll be sitting about 10 or 11 feet away. It seems like 50" would be a good size.

For what I'll be using it with, I have a 360 (non-HDMI) and a Sony DVP-NS725P. It says it is progressive scan and I have component cables, so that would be the best quality I would get out of a DVD without upgrading to a Blu-Ray player, correct? That's assuming what I read in the OP about upconverters not improving visual quality.

Would having an HDMI 360 vastly improve visual quality? I also don't know anything about the capabilities of my 360 as a media center (mainly streaming videos from my PC).

For audio I need to talk more with my roommate because he might pay for the receiver and speakers.

I love the threads on SA that are extremely helpful like this one. Even if no one responds to this I would still feel comfortable buying the TV I mentioned.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Nap Ghost

KingKapalone posted:

I'll be putting the TV in a room where we'll be sitting about 10 or 11 feet away. It seems like 50" would be a good size.
See my pic above, again noting that the TV stand is three feet wide. 50" is a BIG loving TELEVISION at a distance of ten feet. I'm not saying that's necessarily a BAD thing -- it just might dominate your living room more than you'd expect, since when you look at the walls and walls and walls of large TVs in the store NONE of them seem big anymore. Seriously, take the couple of minutes necessary to hack together an image of how big the TV would actually look in your living room. I used displaywars.com to get the dimensions of a 50" 16:9 compared to our old 27" 4:3, saw how many pixels wide our old TV was on the original picture, saw ho many pixels wide the screen was on the stock photo of the TV I wanted, resized the latter appropriately and just stuck it in there. It's not hard, and it might surprise you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vyse
Jan 27, 2005
My tube television recently died and I'm in the market for a new set, this one in particular caught my eye. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16889107022

But I've heard very mixed reviews on Viewsonic televisions, that being said. My budget is rather limiting right now, but this will be an in bedroom tv so anything over 36" is a bit much for the space I have. Would it be better to wait until I can get a more trustworthy set or would this one fit the bill for some light console gaming?

• Locked thread