Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

i51423
Jul 7, 2008
fb

EDIT: Sorry. Double post.

i51423 fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Jul 8, 2008

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i51423
Jul 7, 2008
I guess it doesn't help that you're not seeing the progression to this.. but here:

The board itself is new as is the Ross Distortion, Behringer Chorus, and the Ibanez DE7. It's a bit overkill right now, but I'll size it down when I actually get a new band going.

That all runs into this minus the Peavey combo:

It's nice and.. loud.

i51423 fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Jul 8, 2008

an AOL chatroom
Oct 3, 2002

Oooh, nice. Always wanted to try a Tim. What's that next to it, a Phase 100 clone or something?

Any idea what year/style your x100b is? I've got a 6L6 version and I'm trying to dial in the cleans to be a little more Fender-like. Got any tips?

i51423
Jul 7, 2008

bisticles posted:

Oooh, nice. Always wanted to try a Tim. What's that next to it, a Phase 100 clone or something?

Any idea what year/style your x100b is? I've got a 6L6 version and I'm trying to dial in the cleans to be a little more Fender-like. Got any tips?

The Tim is fantastic. Get on the list. $155! Next to it is a NYC Big Muff I rehoused and modded to have a mid knob.

My X100B is also a 6L6 version. I just run treble, mids, and bass at 7ish with the presence at 5 or so. I keep the graphic EQ off as it boosts the signal too much. I just shoot for a balanced clean tone that compliments my overdrive/distortion sounds. The Tim is a big part of my clean tone, too. I run it with a slight volume boost, tiny bit of grit, and some extra treble for a little more zing.

Maybe the IMG code will work for me now?

i51423 fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Jul 8, 2008

AE
Jul 7, 2006

by Shine
Use Waffleimages. It's most reliable around these parts. https://www.waffleimages.com

an AOL chatroom
Oct 3, 2002

i51423 posted:

The Tim is fantastic. Get on the list. $155! Next to it is a NYC Big Muff I rehoused and modded to have a mid knob.

My X100B is also a 6L6 version. I just run treble, mids, and bass at 7ish with the presence at 5 or so. I keep the graphic EQ off as it boosts the signal too much. I just shoot for a balanced clean tone that compliments my overdrive/distortion sounds. The Tim is a big part of my clean tone, too. I run it with a slight volume boost, tiny bit of grit, and some extra treble for a little more zing.

Cool, I'll give those settings a shot.

I'll get around to trying a Tim one of these days, but I'm all set with an OCD v3 right now. For heavier stuff, I've got a DOD 250 and a Crunchbox. Currently building another pedalboard, I'll post pics once it's all done :)

Weird BIAS
Jul 5, 2007

so... guess that's it, huh? just... don't say i didn't warn you.

Prof Eli ASSBLASTER posted:

I like the bottom e tuner.

Misfit Toy
Mar 14, 2006

Selmer Paris reference 54, otherwise known as the modern Mark VI. Personally, I consider it a thing of beauty - just look at the finish on it. I use it in conjunction with an Otto Link nickel plated STM 7 star (below). Creates a bright enough tone for jazz vibrato without sacrificing volume when playing in a decent horn section. Handles altissimo with ease.

Misfit Toy
Mar 14, 2006

Kadler posted:

I know it aint any new fancy amp but...

Selmer Mark VI Tenor Sax Silver Plating With Gold Plating in Bell. Warmest Brightest sound ever (yes the silver does make it sound different, it resonates differently with the horn).

I just saw your website and it appears you are selling this?

Misfit Toy fucked around with this message at 13:05 on Jul 8, 2008

Ichron
May 6, 2007

It's hip to be square.

Weird BIAS posted:

I like how the string is wound around it...the opposite direction.

Prof Eli ASSBLASTER
May 30, 2007

by Fragmaster

Weird BIAS posted:

Yeah...funny thing is, it stays in tune better than my Fender :confused: Don't really know how to explain that.

Dragon Eye Morrison
May 6, 2007

Boston's "More Than A Feeling" is the world's greatest song

Ichron posted:

I like how the string is wound around it...the opposite direction.

Clearly it was done to create a specific tone for reasons that plebes like you would not understand. :colbert:

At least it's not as bad as:

ForbiddenWonder
Feb 15, 2003

How the gently caress do you tune that :confused:

IanTheM
May 22, 2007
He came from across the Atlantic. . .

ForbiddenWonder posted:

How the gently caress do you tune that :confused:

The closer I look, the more confusing it is.

Ichron
May 6, 2007

It's hip to be square.

Dragon Eye Morrison posted:

Clearly it was done to create a specific tone for reasons that plebes like you would not understand. :colbert:

At least it's not as bad as:

That had to be strung by a 4 year old trying to imitate what his dad did or something.

i51423
Jul 7, 2008

Yeah...funny thing is, it stays in tune better than my Fender :confused: Don't really know how to explain that.

Those MIA Peavey Predators are GREAT guitars and generally go for super cheap. :ninja:

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

Cordoba 40r. It was well beneath my intended budget. A guy from craigslist had 6 classicals listed with several of them being $1500+ pieces, but I just fell in love with the cordoba. Amazing tone, the action is optimal for me. I just love it. And it only put me down 350 big ones with a surprisingly high quality hardshell case included.

Always try before you buy. Hunt down extensively - guitars aren't like power tools.

I still haven't played in concert with it (picked it up 2 weeks ago), but the acoustics in the master bath here are great for solo play. It still sends chill bumps down me whenever I go and hit the first note or chord :unsmith: It's going to last me for a long time. I don't see myself replacing it until I finally have the means to go visit a local well known luthier.

biceps crimes fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Jul 9, 2008

Dragon Eye Morrison
May 6, 2007

Boston's "More Than A Feeling" is the world's greatest song

Ichron posted:

That had to be strung by a 4 year old trying to imitate what his dad did or something.

Nah, Frank Ford of Gryphon Stringed Instruments had it brought into his shop with the customer complaining of "tuning difficulties."

Uncle Caveman
Jun 16, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Sinten posted:

Cordoba 40r.
Cordoba makes some fantastic classicals that are for some reason much less expensive than they have a right to be. Where is yours made? I've had a Spanish-made model 20 for a few years that just sounds amazing.

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

Uncle Caveman posted:

Cordoba makes some fantastic classicals that are for some reason much less expensive than they have a right to be. Where is yours made? I've had a Spanish-made model 20 for a few years that just sounds amazing.

The 40r models are Spanish crafted

Prof Eli ASSBLASTER
May 30, 2007

by Fragmaster

i51423 posted:

Those MIA Peavey Predators are GREAT guitars and generally go for super cheap. :ninja:

Really? I thought that Peavey had a terrible reputation amongst guitarists.

Its main issue seems to be the knobs- if you turn them at all, the sound gets all garbled and funky. Maybe I should check the soldering?

Other than that, I'm fairly impressed with it. It's got a really authentic strat tone, which surprised me.

ZombiePeanut
May 11, 2007

by Fistgrrl

I think that's just from their amps.

i51423
Jul 7, 2008

Its main issue seems to be the knobs- if you turn them at all, the sound gets all garbled and funky. Maybe I should check the soldering?

Other than that, I'm fairly impressed with it. It's got a really authentic strat tone, which surprised me.

Probably just dirty pots. Pick up some contact cleaner spray or just replace the electronics altogether. They're very solid strat copies. For the money, they're a steal.

Ichron
May 6, 2007

It's hip to be square.

Dragon Eye Morrison posted:

Nah, Frank Ford of Gryphon Stringed Instruments had it brought into his shop with the customer complaining of "tuning difficulties."

That had to be a joke. I don't see how someone can go that wrong without it being a joke.

dissin department
Apr 7, 2007

"I has music dysleskia."
The fact that it's a (probably very expensive) Martin just makes it hurt more :smith:

gotly
Oct 28, 2007
Economy-Sized

Wasabi OD pedal. I haven't really mastered the controls yet but god drat does it sound good.

Left to right: Digitech Digiverb, Wasabi Chorus/Trem, Wasabi OD, Boss MD-2, Snarling Dogs Blues Bawls.

plester1
Jul 9, 2004

ZombiePeanut posted:

Those older MIA Peavey Predators are actually regarded as one of the best strat-clones around. You can hot-rod the hell out of them too, because almost all the parts will swap directly with Fender parts. In fact, I think there was a lawsuit that forced Peavey to change up the design, but don't quote me on that.

pennywisdom
Mar 21, 2004

Drazzy posted:

Brought this amp to band practice the other day. This is only our 4th time playing together as a group and we put this together on Saturday. The recording quality isn't that great. Hopefully you get a sense of what kind of sounds this amp is capable of. Don't mind my not-so-good playing. It's a MIM Strat /w GFS Texas Stagger pickups through the Classic 50.

Sounds great, and you're being pretty modest about your playing!

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 10 days!

ZombiePeanut posted:

The 5150 would like a word with you :colbert:

Drazzy
Oct 5, 2003

If I had $20 right now, I'd probably put it towards one of my many bills that I have yet to pay.

pennywisdom posted:

Sounds great, and you're being pretty modest about your playing!

Thanks :) I've never played with a band before, so this is all new to me.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Listen, Mr. Kansas Law Dog.
Law don't go around here.
Savvy?

Stux posted:

The 5150 would like a word with you :colbert:
Among others. It's just their solid state and transtube/not-quite-tube stuff. I have an old Bravo 112 AB tube amp loaded with a Celestion vintage 30 and it's just drat amazing, especially the massive reverb tank that spans the entire width of the amp.

an AOL chatroom
Oct 3, 2002

plester1 posted:

Those older MIA Peavey Predators are actually regarded as one of the best strat-clones around. You can hot-rod the hell out of them too, because almost all the parts will swap directly with Fender parts. In fact, I think there was a lawsuit that forced Peavey to change up the design, but don't quote me on that.

I can attest to this. My first guitar was a red Peavey Predator and it's definitely a nice instrument. I pick it up whenever I go back home to visit my parents and am always amazed at how nice the neck is, particularly.

i51423
Jul 7, 2008

Carbohydrates posted:

Among others. It's just their solid state and transtube/not-quite-tube stuff. I have an old Bravo 112 AB tube amp loaded with a Celestion vintage 30 and it's just drat amazing, especially the massive reverb tank that spans the entire width of the amp.

I think people give them a bad rep because they hated their old Peavey Rage 158 with a DOD Supra Distortion.

I have a Peavey Renown solid-state amp and I think it's great. Super awesome fuzzy-od on the lead channel. Could easily pull off some Grandaddy or Weezer.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Listen, Mr. Kansas Law Dog.
Law don't go around here.
Savvy?

i51423 posted:

I think people give them a bad rep because they hated their old Peavey Rage 158 with a DOD Supra Distortion.
This is possible. I sold my Rage 158 for $20 and felt bad afterward for ripping the guy off.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

Peavey hate (and SS hate in general) comes mostly from critical, early exposure to low-end solid state amplifiers that whatever company puts them out, absolutely knows they're placeholders for something that doesn't suck.

The XXL, peavey's current top-of-the-line SS head, is a great sounding head, very tight and defined gain and very, very rugged. It's also nearly $700, so most people won't ever see one since you can get a Windsor or a Valveking for half the goddamned price and they've got that special tube mojo (tee-loving-emm, it's magic see?) which means that SS probably sucks, etc., blah.

Randall keeps the faith and so do I. SS broham: reckanize...

Peavey doesn't deserve half the poo poo they get. Yeah, their stuff back in the '70s and early '80s didn't stack up, but it was cheap as hell and loud as hell and it sure didn't break. And now they've got the "stacking up" part pretty much under their belt, putting out genuinely professional quality amps for half the price or less than the competition and they're still suffering the fallout from "Peavey? pssht, Marshall please" that no longer really applies and hasn't since at LEAST the 5150.

Agreed fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Jul 10, 2008

AE
Jul 7, 2006

by Shine
I have two Peavey 2x10 bass cabs a Peavey Max bass preamp for my bass rig. The power section is a Marshall 9100, which is two 50-watt tube power amps in one chassis. I can use the 6L6 side to power the cab on the bottom, and the EL34 side to power the cab on top. I can then blend volumes and presence controls to get the tone I want. What's the result? The phattest warmest loving sound you've ever heard.

Peavey will always get my vote of confidence. As with any brand, they can make total poo poo, which is evident in the Valve Kings and the XXX. But when you snag a 5150 or a JSX or an XXL, you've got nothing to bitch about. Some of the best recorded guitar tones in history come from Peavey amplifiers. Even in the case of loving First Act guitars, there's good and bad to all brands.

Except Behringer, which is all bad.

stun runner
Oct 3, 2006

by mons all madden
I just got a pretty dope Behringer practice bass amp :shobon: It sounds pretty good for practicing.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

I'll even defend Behringer. I've been using a set of B2031A Truth active monitors and a B2029A studio sub for four years now and they do an excellent job, not just as reasonably flat monitors (let's be real here, monitors don't get "flat" until you're spending $700 for a single speaker) but also as a very adroit general purpose audio setup that can handle any material at whatever volume you find comfortable for however long you like. Just the speakers are now running something like $330 a pair, which is the cost of a goddamned Klipsch Promedia Ultra 5.1 crap-tastic sludgefest (or whatever multimedia junk-in-a-big-box bullshit companies are screwing people with these days, they're all in about that pricerange).

Are you going to see Truth monitors and a Truth sub in a pro studio? I loving hope not, I'd want my money back. But for a home or project studio, they're better than anything 'til you're willing to pay twice as much, and I say that having had the pleasure of working with much nicer monitor setups in much nicer environments.

Prof Eli ASSBLASTER
May 30, 2007

by Fragmaster

AE posted:

Even in the case of loving First Act guitars, there's good and bad to all brands.

Wait what

From what I've seen first act is literally bottom of the barrel. Like, worse than Fender Starcasters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

AE posted:

Except Behringer, which is all bad.

I have a set of their active monitors and their ripoff of the Tech21 trademark30. I like them both. The monitors are Ok- they actually give a decent amount of detail, and they're a perfectly acceptable placeholder until I get my studio finished and get some Genelecs. The guitar amp sounds amazing for a cheap little turd, but that's because they ripped off a great design. I no longer buy Behringer gear, as the reliability has taken a hit in the last few years, but some of it is perfectly acceptable. Actually their active PA speakers are a fantastic bargain for garage band types as well. A club I ran sound at used several for monitors and I never had a single problem with them. Come to think of it, the mixer and the GEQ were Behringer as well, and it performed flawlessly for countless shows. Not the best sounding gear granted, but in a small room with loud rear end punk rock bands you can't really tell anyhow. Just don't use the EQ and it's alright.

Wait what

From what I've seen first act is literally bottom of the barrel. Like, worse than Fender Starcasters.

They- like Yamaha and Fender and numerous other brands make cheap poo poo to sell at target and walmart and toyz r us, but they also make "real" guitars. The higher end First Act stuff is actually quite remarkable- especially the Lola and Delia models. Check em out.

Gramps fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Jul 10, 2008