Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Tuna, the Muse posted:

Repost from a few pages back:

I've been thinking about recording for a while now, and I think I'm finally motivated enough to start looking into it. I thought I'd check here first to make sure I'm on the right track. From what I understand I'm going to need the following:

Mic
Mic Stand
Mic Cable
Recording Interface
Music Mixing/Recording program of some sort
Maybe preamp?

Does anyone have any suggestions for the best bang for my buck for these items? Especially recording interface. I really have no idea what to look for there. I'm only going to have one mic, recording vocals and guitar for the time being. Maybe bass, harmonica, whistle or something. No drums any time soon.
All this info is in the first post of the thread. Certain information may be somewhat outdated (it's over two years old) by now but the basics are still there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tuna, the Muse
Mar 28, 2003
You're a one-man death machine, now make this city bleed.
Yeah, I've looked at the first post a few times and it has been helpful as far as finding what I need to have. The priceranges for the suggested interfaces are just a lot higher than I can feasibly pay right now. I just want to mess around and figure out the basics of recording so I guess I'm looking for the barebones minimum stuff without being absolute garbage.

The cheapest new interface that I could find that still sounded decent was $90 for an M-Audio Transit USB Interface. Is this thing junk or will I be able to get buy with it? Is there a better alternative out there that would achieve the same results?

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Are there any free amp sim VSTs? I dont need anything great I have a POD for that when I can be bothered to hook it up and patch surf. I just want something that lets me quickly plug guitar straight into my usb and rock out without it sounding like an unplugged guitar.

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe
You've found these already? Voxengo has also Boogex, but I'm personally more a fan of Guitar Rig.

hmmxkrazee
Sep 9, 2006
why
I'm about to set up a little studio for some recording (mostly recording vocals and guitar) and am looking into the Line6 Toneport UX1 for the guitar because it also has a preamp so it'll be able to power whatever condenser mic I get ( I think). I'm still shopping through different condenser mics but have a couple picked out. I recently went to a friend's recording studio and was amazed at the sound difference. I'm not about to shell out big bucks or anything but I definitely am looking to upgrade my mic from this ghetto karaoke mic I've been using. Anyone have any experience with this mic? I really like it for some reason. Or maybe something a little cheaper. I'm willing to get a better one later on if necessary.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/AKG-Perception-200-Condenser-Microphone-103058004-i1126876.gc

hmmxkrazee fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Jul 13, 2008

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den
That preamp doesn't appear to have phantom power so that condenser mic will not work with it.

hmmxkrazee
Sep 9, 2006
why
Oh okay thanks. Do all condenser mics need phantom power? Is there a cheaper condenser mic that would be fine would just the preamp on the UX1? I can always upgrade later.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den
You could throw in one of these I suppose.

skeevy achievements
Feb 25, 2008

by merry exmarx
Q: What are the software differences if any between Pro Tools LE and M-Powered?

While the M-Audio interfaces are likely good enough for what I need, I want to be sure the M-Powered version of Pro Tools won't gimp me unduly, and the Digidesign docs are clear as mud on the topic.

IanTheM
May 22, 2007
He came from across the Atlantic. . .

oval office Puncher posted:

Q: What are the software differences if any between Pro Tools LE and M-Powered?

While the M-Audio interfaces are likely good enough for what I need, I want to be sure the M-Powered version of Pro Tools won't gimp me unduly, and the Digidesign docs are clear as mud on the topic.

From my experience M-audio powered could mean limited to the point of uselessness, if what they did with Ableton Live Lite is any indication. Useful if you want to save 200 bucks on the purchase of the full version though.

ScooterMcTiny
Apr 7, 2004

IanTheM posted:

From my experience M-audio powered could mean limited to the point of uselessness, if what they did with Ableton Live Lite is any indication. Useful if you want to save 200 bucks on the purchase of the full version though.

M-Powered, as far as I know and what my experience has shown me, is exactly the same as LE. It's not a 'Lite' version, it's just the M-Audio hardware compatible version of LE.

hmmxkrazee
Sep 9, 2006
why
After browsing for mics, I've come upon so much information involved with recording that I'm starting to get a headache. I'd like to get some feedback on my planned setup. I've read the FAQs and etc but I'd like to make sure.

I'm doing vocal and guitar recordings. I plan on recording guitar through a Lineport UX1 and doing vocals with a compressor mic going through a preamp/phantom power interface and then connecting that to the UX1. I also plan on having other instruments like strings and I plan on creating tracks with the other instruments in Reason and then importing that into Audacity along with the vocal and guitar recordings and doing all the mixing and editing there. Is my setup gonna work as planned?

Mic -> Preamp -> Toneport -> Computer [Reason and Audacity]
Guitars -> UX1

And I plan on getting the MXL990 Compressor mic or a Behringer C-1 to start off with and then upgrade to a better one later on if necessary (looking at an AKG Perception 200). I just need gear to practice with because in a year I'll be working with a friend who will have the higher-end gear so I don't think there's a real need for me to splurge on expensive stuff. I'm a newbie so I'd just like to get some stuff to learn and play around with and record practice songs.

And to help a newbie out, can anyone recommend some sites/books that deal with mixing/mastering songs and about recording? I look around this forum and everyone seems so advanced and knowledgeable when it comes to this stuff. I see the gear you guys are using and the terms/concepts and etc and I'm completely lost. Basically, where does a newbie start learning this stuff? Thanks.

hmmxkrazee fucked around with this message at 08:28 on Jul 14, 2008

iamlark
Feb 24, 2007
huh?

ScooterMcTiny posted:

M-Powered, as far as I know and what my experience has shown me, is exactly the same as LE. It's not a 'Lite' version, it's just the M-Audio hardware compatible version of LE.

I'm going to second this.

JohnnySmitch
Oct 20, 2004

Don't touch me there - Noone has that right.

hmmxkrazee posted:

Oh okay thanks. Do all condenser mics need phantom power? Is there a cheaper condenser mic that would be fine would just the preamp on the UX1? I can always upgrade later.

You could also just pay a little more for the UX2, which does have phantom power, along with a couple extra inputs (recording in stereo with two different processing chains is pretty cool). I use the UX2 for just about everything - it's very versatile while being pretty simple, and I think the quality is amazing for the price.

Make Ready
Aug 24, 2007

by Ozmaugh
I just signed on to a project where I'll have to record 8 mic channels at once. What's the most affordable and reliable interface with which I could do this? Ideally I'd like to use Pro Tools with it but I'm having a hard time finding an m-powered interface that suits my needs while remaining cheap enough. Would it be best to buy an interface with only 4 preamps and then expand it with a 4 preamp module to 8?

Thanks

e: is the Profire 2626 any good? Am I really missing out on anything with Pro Tools M-Powered instead of LE?

Make Ready fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Jul 14, 2008

kahm
May 13, 2004

what's goin' on in this fridge

Make Ready posted:

I just signed on to a project where I'll have to record 8 mic channels at once. What's the most affordable and reliable interface with which I could do this? Ideally I'd like to use Pro Tools with it but I'm having a hard time finding an m-powered interface that suits my needs while remaining cheap enough. Would it be best to buy an interface with only 4 preamps and then expand it with a 4 preamp module to 8?

Thanks

e: is the Profire 2626 any good? Am I really missing out on anything with Pro Tools M-Powered instead of LE?

As has been stated previously, no. ProTools LE is equivalent to ProTools M-Powered. The only differences are in hardware compatibility, as in you can't use big control surfaces like the Control 24.

Make Ready
Aug 24, 2007

by Ozmaugh

kahm posted:

As has been stated previously, no. ProTools LE is equivalent to ProTools M-Powered. The only differences are in hardware compatibility, as in you can't use big control surfaces like the Control 24.

I've heard it's missing some features such as MacDrive and DV toolkit, so I'm taking the comments here with a grain of salt.

ChristsDickWorship
Dec 7, 2004

Annihilate your demons

Make Ready posted:

I've heard it's missing some features such as MacDrive and DV toolkit, so I'm taking the comments here with a grain of salt.
MacDrive is a 3rd party program that lets PCs read Mac formatted drives. It does not come with Pro Tools. DV Toolkit does not come with Pro Tools LE, it's an add-on. Pretty sure you can buy the expansion for M-Powered too.

I'm taking your previous sources of information with a grain of salt.

edit: You're right actually, DV Toolkit is not compatible with M-Powered. So yea, you can't spend that $1200 if you buy M-Powered. Also doesn't support Digitranslator, so that's another $500 you can't spend. If you don't have the money to jump head first into Digidesign hardware, you don't really have the money to actually miss any of what M-Powered is lacking.

EDIT: READ THE POST BELOW THAT IS WHY THE THREAD IS NAMED AFTER HIM

ChristsDickWorship fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Jul 14, 2008

RivensBitch
Jul 25, 2002

Protools LE and TDM 7.4 now come with Mac Drive. Otherwise the only other differences with M-Powered are it can't support some control surfaces, and it doesn't work with translator or the D-V toolkit. They're differences that wont matter to MOST users who are working with a band or instruments.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 14 days!

hmmxkrazee posted:

After browsing for mics, I've come upon so much information involved with recording that I'm starting to get a headache. I'd like to get some feedback on my planned setup. I've read the FAQs and etc but I'd like to make sure.

I'm doing vocal and guitar recordings. I plan on recording guitar through a Lineport UX1 and doing vocals with a compressor mic going through a preamp/phantom power interface and then connecting that to the UX1. I also plan on having other instruments like strings and I plan on creating tracks with the other instruments in Reason and then importing that into Audacity along with the vocal and guitar recordings and doing all the mixing and editing there. Is my setup gonna work as planned?

Mic -> Preamp -> Toneport -> Computer [Reason and Audacity]
Guitars -> UX1

And I plan on getting the MXL990 Compressor mic or a Behringer C-1 to start off with and then upgrade to a better one later on if necessary (looking at an AKG Perception 200). I just need gear to practice with because in a year I'll be working with a friend who will have the higher-end gear so I don't think there's a real need for me to splurge on expensive stuff. I'm a newbie so I'd just like to get some stuff to learn and play around with and record practice songs.

And to help a newbie out, can anyone recommend some sites/books that deal with mixing/mastering songs and about recording? I look around this forum and everyone seems so advanced and knowledgeable when it comes to this stuff. I see the gear you guys are using and the terms/concepts and etc and I'm completely lost. Basically, where does a newbie start learning this stuff? Thanks.

Might be worth just getting the UX2 instead of the 1 and a phantom power unit as the UX2 comes with phantom power.

bassguitarhero
Feb 29, 2008

RivensBitch posted:

Protools LE and TDM 7.4 now come with Mac Drive. Otherwise the only other differences with M-Powered are it can't support some control surfaces, and it doesn't work with translator or the D-V toolkit. They're differences that wont matter to MOST users who are working with a band or instruments.

Where do you get MacDrive from? I could really use it right now, and I just bought ProTools 7.4.2

RivensBitch
Jul 25, 2002

When you install 7.4 it's one of the available check box options, right along with digi-translator, mp3 support etc.

kahm
May 13, 2004

RivensBitch posted:

When you install 7.4 it's one of the available check box options, right along with digi-translator, mp3 support etc.

This isn't how it works IIRC, it enables loading of sessions off HFS+ drives, it's not a copy of MacDrive that you can use with your system.

RivensBitch
Jul 25, 2002

kahm posted:

This isn't how it works IIRC, it enables loading of sessions off HFS+ drives, it's not a copy of MacDrive that you can use with your system.

http://akmedia.digidesign.com/support/docs/MacHFS+DiskSupportGuide_v74_42155.pdf

I've never actually bought a commercially packaged product called "Mac Drive", so I can't tell you what features/utilities are included. However, after installing PTLE 7.4 with the HFS+ support box checked, there is now a service running on my computer called "MacDrive.exe". If there is some magical utility missing that I can only get by actually buying the commercial product, I don't really care, because the key feature of being able to mount HFS+ disks on my windows box is all I really wanted in the first place.

hmmxkrazee
Sep 9, 2006
why

JohnnySmitch posted:

You could also just pay a little more for the UX2, which does have phantom power, along with a couple extra inputs (recording in stereo with two different processing chains is pretty cool). I use the UX2 for just about everything - it's very versatile while being pretty simple, and I think the quality is amazing for the price.

I was thinking about the UX2 but it's $50 extra whereas the phantom power unit (Art Tube MP) I'm looking at is only $30. I don't know if I'll really need the extras on the UX2. But then again, I'm a newbie so if you guys think it's better to get the UX2, I'll consider getting that instead. Still looking for any feedback/advice on my previous post. Thanks.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den
Just get the UX2. The $20 you'd save with the Art Tube MP would be taken up with the extra cabling required.

kahm
May 13, 2004

RivensBitch posted:

http://akmedia.digidesign.com/support/docs/MacHFS+DiskSupportGuide_v74_42155.pdf

I've never actually bought a commercially packaged product called "Mac Drive", so I can't tell you what features/utilities are included. However, after installing PTLE 7.4 with the HFS+ support box checked, there is now a service running on my computer called "MacDrive.exe". If there is some magical utility missing that I can only get by actually buying the commercial product, I don't really care, because the key feature of being able to mount HFS+ disks on my windows box is all I really wanted in the first place.

Wow, apologies for not knowing about that, that's pretty awesome. Do you know if this comes with the upgrade to 7.4 from 7.3? Or is it only with a new purchase?

bassguitarhero
Feb 29, 2008

Unfortunately it's not the full version, I can't actually run it to try to connect to my other hard drives (on a mac pro w/ OS X and Windows dual booting and in VMWare), which is too bad. It looks like if I want to connect to my internal hard drives from windows I'll have to actually buy the thing, but I'll mess around with it some more to see if I might just be retarded.

JohnnySmitch
Oct 20, 2004

Don't touch me there - Noone has that right.

nimper posted:

Just get the UX2. The $20 you'd save with the Art Tube MP would be taken up with the extra cabling required.

Not only this, but you'll also be glad you have 2 mic inputs down the road when you start getting more creative with your recording techniques.

MrSpiffy
Aug 13, 2000

:woop::siren::siren::siren::woop:
FREDDIE WONG POSTING HERE
:woop::siren::siren::siren::woop:
Anyone have any suggestions for one man recording?

I record guitar, bass, and drums, along with MIDI. For the longest time, I would just record to a click track, but I don't like how it kills the feel of the final result.

For now I've settled on getting the tempo in my head, playing the guitar track (instrument I'm most comfortable with, plus I know exactly where in the song I am) and then remapping Logic's master tempo to the tempo of the guitar track so I can quantize the MIDI and manipulate the audio itself easier. This way, too, any tempo variation that feels natural with the song is at least reflected in the recording, but I feel like there must be another way.

Basically, I'm wondering if anybody has any tips or suggestions on how I can record multiple tracks and still retain the feel from slight tempo variation.

bassguitarhero
Feb 29, 2008

I've been playing along to click tracks forever since I got ProTools (it's the first track I set up) and it just took the better part of a year until I was fully comfortable with it. Now I hear the clicks and internalize them and play around them a little bit and it feels better. I don't know if there's any other way to do it.

Question: Does anyone have an opinion on Digidesign Eleven VS Amplitube? I am in the market for an amp simulator and I used Amplitube for the longest (I have LE installed now) so I can get it for cheaper, but if Eleven is better then I'll just as happily use that.

Isnak
Sep 15, 2006
Bonyour!
Anyone know of any microphones that are particularly well suited to recording woodwind instruments? I was thinking of a Yamaha MC-7 which is designed for brass, or one of these http://www.thomann.de/gb/shure_pg81xlr.htm

Unfortunately I know jack poo poo about mics so excuse me if these are horrible

Rkelly
Sep 7, 2003

infiniteseal posted:

I've been playing along to click tracks forever since I got ProTools (it's the first track I set up) and it just took the better part of a year until I was fully comfortable with it. Now I hear the clicks and internalize them and play around them a little bit and it feels better. I don't know if there's any other way to do it.

Question: Does anyone have an opinion on Digidesign Eleven VS Amplitube? I am in the market for an amp simulator and I used Amplitube for the longest (I have LE installed now) so I can get it for cheaper, but if Eleven is better then I'll just as happily use that.

I like guitar rig 3 better than waves and amplitube. I would get guitar rig. The assigable step sequencer, envelope generator, and LFO are really cool to hook to different effects and things. Plus I love the Hiwatt amp sim and the Orange sim a ton.

RivensBitch
Jul 25, 2002

Isnak posted:

Anyone know of any microphones that are particularly well suited to recording woodwind instruments? I was thinking of a Yamaha MC-7 which is designed for brass, or one of these http://www.thomann.de/gb/shure_pg81xlr.htm

Unfortunately I know jack poo poo about mics so excuse me if these are horrible

How about a Shure Beta98H/C? I see these used on all sorts of wind instruments.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Hello all, I could use some help. I skimmed the first few pages but didn't really find an answer for my question.

Today fedex shipped me the M-audio Keystudio, which is a usb powered keyboard. When I try to play some software instruments on Garageband or Logic, the sound crackles a lot. This happens when the CPU bar on Logic is full. A friend suggested that maybe my soundcard can't handle the keyboard, and that I should buy a better soundcard. Is this the case? I appreciate your help.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

A MIRACLE posted:

Hello all, I could use some help. I skimmed the first few pages but didn't really find an answer for my question.

Today fedex shipped me the M-audio Keystudio, which is a usb powered keyboard. When I try to play some software instruments on Garageband or Logic, the sound crackles a lot. This happens when the CPU bar on Logic is full. A friend suggested that maybe my soundcard can't handle the keyboard, and that I should buy a better soundcard. Is this the case? I appreciate your help.
What sound card are you using? What kind of Mac do you have?

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

It's a macbook pro circa late 2006. Factory soundcard I guess.

bassguitarhero
Feb 29, 2008

A macbook pro is more than capable of running those programs no problem. I was running ProTools, a bunch of VSTs, Reason and GarageBand on a Powerbook.

I'd say something is wrong but it ain't the soundcard. Could be the keyboard, you might want to try a different keyboard. Try resetting the keyboard too, that might help.

Fortissimo
Apr 7, 2007
I'm looking to get a recording setup for acoustic guitar and I was looking at these things:

Mic http://www.axemusic.com/product.asp...a=all&PT_ID=all

Interface
http://www.axemusic.com/product.asp?numRecordPosition=6&P_ID=18729&PT_ID=281

I don't really know much about this stuff, so would this be a decent setup? Is that audio interface ok for recording with that mic on a laptop? Thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Fortissimo posted:

I'm looking to get a recording setup for acoustic guitar and I was looking at these things:

Mic http://www.axemusic.com/product.asp...a=all&PT_ID=all

Interface
http://www.axemusic.com/product.asp?numRecordPosition=6&P_ID=18729&PT_ID=281

I don't really know much about this stuff, so would this be a decent setup? Is that audio interface ok for recording with that mic on a laptop? Thanks.
Yeah that's fine. 192khz recording is a little overkill (most studios use 96khz) but new technology yay!