Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dragon Eye Morrison
May 6, 2007

Boston's "More Than A Feeling" is the world's greatest song

Gramps posted:

They- like Yamaha and Fender and numerous other brands make cheap poo poo to sell at target and walmart and toyz r us, but they also make "real" guitars. The higher end First Act stuff is actually quite remarkable- especially the Lola and Delia models. Check em out.

Yeah, First Act's "actual" guitars are absolutely loving amazing (all you have to do is check their client list to realize that). The only problem is that, in my opinion, they don't really do any good for their name in the market because the only First Act guitars carried in stores are pretty much the cheap ones, so that's all people ever relate them with. It would be like if the only Fenders ever carried in stores were Fender Starcasters, and the only way to get any other Fender was to buy direct from the company. No brand will build a reputation of quality in the general marketplace with that kind of exposure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice

Gramps posted:

They- like Yamaha and Fender and numerous other brands make cheap poo poo to sell at target and walmart and toyz r us, but they also make "real" guitars. The higher end First Act stuff is actually quite remarkable- especially the Lola and Delia models. Check em out.

You have just blown my loving mind and turned my entire world upside-down. They actually have really credible artists.

Wow. My head hurts.

Ichron
May 6, 2007

It's hip to be square.

hamaien posted:

You have just blown my loving mind and turned my entire world upside-down. They actually have really credible artists.

Wow. My head hurts.

Check out Rick Nielsen's guitar. Your mind will be blown even more...6 pickups and controls.

AE
Jul 7, 2006

by Shine
Edit: Man, this'll turn into a flamewar. I'm sorry guys, I should've foreseen this. My bad on the Behringer call. I don't like them, but I ain't gonna trash talk them to four guys in a row.

To make this post on-topic, this is what I bought for July 4th.

AE fucked around with this message at 06:31 on Jul 10, 2008

qball
Aug 1, 2002

You could go and have a bite, and you'd still be hearin' that one.

AE posted:

To make this post on-topic, this is what I bought for July 4th.

I was starting to think I'd have to go out and buy something purely to get this train back on track.

Adrian Finol
Sep 5, 2004
Just got it yesterday:

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

Very strong. Everyone likes me.

Adrian Finol posted:

Just got it yesterday:

I loooooove goldddd. (In my best goldmember voice)

That's a loving amazing finish.

qball
Aug 1, 2002

You could go and have a bite, and you'd still be hearin' that one.

Adrian Finol posted:

Just got it yesterday:

That looks hot.

Prof Eli ASSBLASTER
May 30, 2007

by Fragmaster

Adrian Finol posted:

Just got it yesterday:

gently caress you assholes with your 'jobs' and your fancy 'disposable income'

:smithicide:

DrChu
May 14, 2002

Adrian Finol posted:

Just got it yesterday:

Everything looks great except those inlays. One of the guitarists in my band has a plain black Classic and those yellow inlays stick out like a sore thumb.

JoTro
Dec 24, 2006

So tonight I'm gonna party like its 1066!
I can finally post in this thread!

After roughly 18 years of guitar playing, I just bought my first Les Paul. It's a 2007 Standard, and it should be here next week. Thanks, eBay!

I'm thinking of getting a Peavey Classic 50 2x12 to replace the Marshall TSL I sold last year, also.

Adrian Finol
Sep 5, 2004

DrChu posted:

Everything looks great except those inlays. One of the guitarists in my band has a plain black Classic and those yellow inlays stick out like a sore thumb.

I thought the same thing but I think they blend really well with the guitar color. I can imagine they would definitely stick out on a black guitar.

Cthulhuite
Mar 22, 2007

Shwmae!
First, I apologise for the lovely picture quality. Camera phones suck.

This arrived for me a few weeks ago, the best birthday present a boy could ever have!

It's a Burns Marquee, in venom green or something strange sounding like that.

Mith all gold bits on it, it's ver' purdy. But it weighs an actual ton, like having a child around your neck.

I guess it's my new baby :3:

Livingston
Jun 28, 2007

:zombie:hiiitsss:zombie:
That picture is upsetting:

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

Very strong. Everyone likes me.

DrChu posted:

They remind me of dirty teeth a little bit.

JoTro
Dec 24, 2006

So tonight I'm gonna party like its 1066!

Livingston posted:

That picture is upsetting:

Yeah, there were better closeups of the headstock in other pics. It's A-Ok.

Ichron
May 6, 2007

It's hip to be square.

JoTro posted:

Yeah, there were better closeups of the headstock in other pics. It's A-Ok.

I think he was referring to the fact that the guy that took the picture is propping the guitar up on basically 1 tuner.

Zombies magazine
Oct 17, 2005

Firmly grasp the :kazooieass:

Will have pictures soon, but I just got this and set it up today. Incredibly happy with it. GVRS Gibraltar rack, bought it used for a friend with 5 multiclamps, hydraulic hi-hat thingy (don't use) and 5 cymbal arms. Mixed and matched some of the boom arms from my old stands into it. Mine doesn't have the weird triangle arms on the side, instead of stretches around.

Click here for the full 1000x722 image.

HolySwissCheese
Mar 26, 2005
I was thinking of buying a Les Paul and while I was shopping around I ended up paying 150ish at a pawn shopfor a First Act Volkswagen Garagemaster instead and it is my favorite guitar right now.

First Act higher-end stuff is an even better deal than Rondo guitars.

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe
I have NI Komplete 5 and a fair number of hardware synthesizers. However, since selling the Alesis Ion I've got nothing that does a good 303 (at least, without distortion; adding distortion makes emulation retardedly easy). I couldn't convince Massive to get as rubbery as an actual 303 and the square wave is of course different.

So I was looking for other options, and Rebirth does not integrate well, and it's old (and limited to 16/44).

Yesterday I was looking for a good software 303 emu, and I came across Phoscyon and Audiorealism Bassline 2.

Phoscyon won thanks to its lower price (59 euros) and I thought the sound was better, and after building some patterns it got me hopping in my chair because it kicked absolute rear end. Guitar Rig with the "Cat" (Proco Rat emulation) on it and whoom, there we go!

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe
I can finally play in this thread!

Yamaha RBX170. Nothing fancy, but I think you fellas might like what I'm playing with. That said: It's a great bass to play, not too light, good unfinished neck and just feels right.

1970's Fender Bassman. Dad's had it longer than I've been alive. Huminahuminahumina

Edit: I'm primarily a guitarist though. Here's my setup.

Maton Acoustic which I inherited from my brother. The Yamaha is an AES620 which came stock with Seymour Duncan pickups. It's an awesome sounding guitar and the carved top\back make it fantastically comfortable to play. For my 21st I was gonna get a Gibson Les Paul, but they didn't sound all that different, plus the Gibson wasn't as comfortable to play.

So I got this instead:

Peavey Classic 30 Combo. Pure Classic Rock warm yummyness.

H13 fucked around with this message at 10:08 on Jul 11, 2008

Admiral Crunch
Nov 26, 2005

by Peatpot
I got a couple that aren't technically new, but new since I last posted here.

I built a custom warmoth guitar a while ago and it was cool, except for the lovely job I did on the body. Recently, I redid everything but the neck and I love it now.

The pickup rings are bloodwood and they're not nearly that bright in normal light. The body is walnut with an oil finish. Warmoth cut the body out for me and i did everything else. I actually got to make the pickup rings on a CNC machine which was neat. the bridge was done with steel wool to make it look less "chromey".

Also, I traded up my lovely ibanez gio bass for a bitchin 1964 Hagstrom-I bass. It is my favorite bass that I've ever played, hands down. The neck is really fast and despite the lovely materials it seems to be made of, it sounds pretty awesome. Also, the knob was on it when i bought it, it just fell off and I forgot to put it back on before i took the pictures.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
Screw laminating... We're gonna rivet the top to this mother fucker!

Admiral Crunch
Nov 26, 2005

by Peatpot
:eng101: not rivets, but screws! I guess once they had decided on having a piece of plastic on top of ugly painted wood, they really didn't care how it was attached. However, I love the design. It's so incredibly tacky and low budget that it's cool.

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

what is that grate looking thing in between the pickups, does it serve a purpose or did the designer just think the guitar could use a grate somewhere...

Admiral Crunch
Nov 26, 2005

by Peatpot

ADINSX posted:

what is that grate looking thing in between the pickups, does it serve a purpose or did the designer just think the guitar could use a grate somewhere...

It's a sticker. It's metal and it's 3-d and everything, but it's still just a self-adhesive little thing. Like I said, it's a tacky loving instrument. When I got it, it was all full of blue and green crayon wax or some poo poo and I had to clean it out. Now it's just silver and black. I guess it was just put there because it would have looked too empty otherwise v:shobon:v

Livingston
Jun 28, 2007

:zombie:hiiitsss:zombie:

Admiral Crunch posted:

I love that mute switch. That may be the earliest example of a kill switch on a bass :rock:

Kanish
Jun 17, 2004

Better pics soon, but my newest baby, got it for a steal.

24" bass drum, with the Aquarian super kick it sounds like thunder, I love it.

The Man
Jun 17, 2008
Lookee here, I just got one of these in the mail today!

It's a Hohner Echo-Harp (double sided), 56/96 in keys of C and G.

The Man fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Jul 12, 2008

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice

hamaien posted:

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

Oh god, it's going to be here Monday :flashfap:

This is going to be the longest weekend ever.

Schatten
Jul 7, 2002

Das ist nicht meine
schnellen Rennwagen

Kanish posted:

Better pics soon, but my newest baby, got it for a steal.

24" bass drum, with the Aquarian super kick it sounds like thunder, I love it.

Awesome set!

Mr. WTF
Jun 12, 2003

I DON'T GET JOKES

Uncle Caveman posted:

See that look on Pete's face? He's wondering what is wrong with you.

Either that or heavy drugs, but who knows. Not Pete.

Also a question.

I have a green les paul robot - I posted it earlier. I think it uses 498t and 500t pickups (may have that wrong)..stock. Which are good, but kind of dirty sounding coming from a PRS Custom I had with their humbuckers.

Have any of you swapped out stock les paul pickups for something hotter / tighter? I don't think I will - it almost seems like sacrilidge to touch it like that, but I got thinking about it last practice.

Mr. WTF
Jun 12, 2003

I DON'T GET JOKES

JoTro posted:

I can finally post in this thread!

After roughly 18 years of guitar playing, I just bought my first Les Paul. It's a 2007 Standard, and it should be here next week. Thanks, eBay!

I'm thinking of getting a Peavey Classic 50 2x12 to replace the Marshall TSL I sold last year, also.

Really? You prefer a Peavey Classic 50 over a TSL 602 or whatever the combo TSL is? Why'd you sell the TSL?

edit: also delicious looking les paul.

yamkingdom
Feb 15, 2008

Noise as Art.
got this in the mail today from Rondo

so far its got a fretbuzz towards the headstock but i can just raise how the string sits on the nut and it should be ok. i went to my friends house and put it through a big muff and it just melts.

also im thinking about chopping off the wierd tip point on the bodies top left when horizontal. i dont think it should change the sound TOO MUCH but it just looks kinda silly to me right now and its kinda in the way too

the wizards beard
Apr 15, 2007
Reppin

4 LIFE 4 REAL
So I have the opportunity to buy a used SM58 + XLR/phone adapter for €55. What does everyone think?

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

I'm not sure what your moon money is worth, but an SM58 in decent shape will always be worth a minimum of about $75 american- I'm sure they're worth a few bucks more over thataway.

Run Dodo Run
Oct 7, 2006

Gramps posted:

I'm not sure what your moon money is worth, but an SM58 in decent shape will always be worth a minimum of about $75 american- I'm sure they're worth a few bucks more over thataway.

It's around £40 which you can just double to get dollars nowadays.

I'd say, yeah, good deal, they're about twice the price brand new.

Altered State
Dec 18, 2006

hamaien posted:

Oh god, it's going to be here Monday :flashfap:

This is going to be the longest weekend ever.

Oooh, so jealous. Lemme know how it is! Is it loud enough to keep up with drums/band? I'm assuming it is.

Zombies magazine
Oct 17, 2005

Firmly grasp the :kazooieass:

Pictures of the rack:

Click here for the full 1632x1232 image.

Not the best pictures and we practice in a warehouse, so that explains the environment. But I'm so happy with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prof Eli ASSBLASTER
May 30, 2007

by Fragmaster
My second hand Frontman got into this nasty habit of picking up spanish radio stations so I decided it was time for something different:

J&R has it for $99, printed out the link and took it to GC for a price match. This thing sounds amazing, best $100 I've ever spent.