Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now

teknicolor posted:

Ha I have Roxie in Red. Red makes me go faster. :)

I wanted the red! My university colors are red and black and my scoot is red. New Enough only had blue and white for the best deal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teknicolor
Jul 18, 2004

I Want to Meet That Dad!
Do Da Doo Doo

cheese eats mouse posted:

I wanted the red! My university colors are red and black and my scoot is red. New Enough only had blue and white for the best deal.

I figured it was a great deal for a jacket anyway, so why not pay a little more for a better color? ;)

Polynomial
Mar 23, 2005

Look, I'm a liberal guy, voting for Obama, yada yada.
I'm currently at the scooter stage, and after seeing some post-accident pictures I decided to stop using my half helmet and got a full faced one.

I love it. Riding without the wind in your face (even though before I had goggles) is much nicer. My only concern is that I have to move my head a bit more to see the speedometer, but that's not a big deal. Also it doesn't fit under the seat.

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now

teknicolor posted:

I figured it was a great deal for a jacket anyway, so why not pay a little more for a better color? ;)

That is like buying a car and paying more for the same car but different color. I can't justify it.

teknicolor
Jul 18, 2004

I Want to Meet That Dad!
Do Da Doo Doo

That is like buying a car and paying more for the same car but different color. I can't justify it.

It's more like getting a good discount on a good jacket, or a better one on an uglier jacket. I don't see the comparison to cars, since my jacket was only $75 but can retail up to $270. $75 bucks is a great loving deal on a jacket, color notwithstanding.

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter

Polynomial posted:

I'm currently at the scooter stage, and after seeing some post-accident pictures I decided to stop using my half helmet and got a full faced one.

I love it. Riding without the wind in your face (even though before I had goggles) is much nicer. My only concern is that I have to move my head a bit more to see the speedometer, but that's not a big deal. Also it doesn't fit under the seat.

What kind of scooter are you riding? On my Vino 125 you have to put the helmet in just so to get it to fit, but anymore I just use the helmet locks built into the seat.

And yeah, full-faces are a lot nicer. Sometimes when it's warm and I'm just going around town I'll take the visor off and use sunglasses, which is a bit squiddish, but I get most of the airflow of a 3/4 while keeping most of the protection of a full.

Polynomial
Mar 23, 2005

Look, I'm a liberal guy, voting for Obama, yada yada.

Gay Nudist Dad posted:

What kind of scooter are you riding? On my Vino 125 you have to put the helmet in just so to get it to fit, but anymore I just use the helmet locks built into the seat.

I've got a Schwinn Newport 150, but I haven't played around with trying to fit the helmet in a lot. The two obvious ways didn't seem to work out, though.

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter

Polynomial posted:

I've got a Schwinn Newport 150, but I haven't played around with trying to fit the helmet in a lot. The two obvious ways didn't seem to work out, though.

The way it has to work on my Vino 125 is upside-down, facing forward, and then it can take a bit of playing with the angle the helmet's sitting at to get the seat to close readily.

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now

teknicolor posted:

It's more like getting a good discount on a good jacket, or a better one on an uglier jacket. I don't see the comparison to cars, since my jacket was only $75 but can retail up to $270. $75 bucks is a great loving deal on a jacket, color notwithstanding.

Ah I should have explained that the only red ones in color were in the lower hundreds and not on New Enough. When I was shopping at the time there was the blue for $65 in their bargain basement or other websites I would have to pay double for other colors.

cheese eats mouse fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Jul 10, 2008

teknicolor
Jul 18, 2004

I Want to Meet That Dad!
Do Da Doo Doo

Ah I should have explained that the only red ones in color were in the lower hundreds and not on New Enough. When I was shopping at the time there was the blue for $65 in their bargain basement or other websites I would have to pay double for other colors.

oooooooh makes so much more sense now. I got mine from New Enough after the second price reduction. :) Can't go wrong for $75!

TheFonz
Aug 3, 2002

<3

Gay Nudist Dad posted:

Sometimes when it's warm and I'm just going around town I'll take the visor off and use sunglasses, which is a bit squiddish.

I do this all the time, it's not squiddish.

huplescat
Jun 8, 2005

100 Years in Iraq posted:

I actually ordered a women's jacket for once, and for the life of me I can't figure out why they make 'em so goddamn short. I don't want loving fashion, I want protection, you assholes! The bottom barely reaches below my navel, when my big bulky leather comes halfway down my hips. If I did want to attach a zipper, I'd be giving myself a terminal wedgie hiking up the pants to reach it.

I tried on 3 women's jackets before giving up. I'm nearly 6' tall and have long arms and torso so they just weren't going to cut it. The jackets I looked at also had a lot fewer pockets and seemed less practical in general than men's jackets.

Ended up with a men's one that's a perfect fit :) I don't look very feminine in it, but it's warm, waterproof, windproof and extremely comfortable.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

huplescat posted:

I tried on 3 women's jackets before giving up. I'm nearly 6' tall and have long arms and torso so they just weren't going to cut it. The jackets I looked at also had a lot fewer pockets and seemed less practical in general than men's jackets.

Ended up with a men's one that's a perfect fit :) I don't look very feminine in it, but it's warm, waterproof, windproof and extremely comfortable.
Where have you been hiding? Didn't know you were getting a bike :)

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

huplescat posted:

I usually buy men's stuff, because 95% of poo poo marketed to women is a)useless as far as functionality goes, b)retardedly overpriced, c) ugly as loving hell (I don't like pink, baby blue and sparkles kthx), or d) all of the above. I'm only 5'6" so I have to buy small/medium, but it seems to work out ok.

Infinotize
Sep 5, 2003

Z3n posted:

Depending on where you're located, if there's a custom leather shop in the area they should be able to repair it. However, most over the rack suits typically aren't work repairing due to the cost involved, depending on how expensive your suit was and who made it. Do you have pics of the damage?

Yeah - http://userpages.umbc.edu/~drewg1/agv/

It's an off the rack AGV I got used and already crashed once so it was cheap. In the last pic you can see it's made by Corner, which is supposedly better than AGV's new in house stuff.

TheTrend
Feb 4, 2005
I have a descriminating toe

Infinotize posted:

It's an off the rack AGV I got used and already crashed once so it was cheap. In the last pic you can see it's made by Corner, which is supposedly better than AGV's new in house stuff.

It'll buff right out.

teknicolor
Jul 18, 2004

I Want to Meet That Dad!
Do Da Doo Doo
Yeah chick BOOTS are a laught and a half. gently caress Icon. I buy mostly guy gear when i can get away with it but I'm short and curvy so I need lady pants (and jackets most of the time, the men's small I have is huuuuuge on me).

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Infinotize posted:

Only thing i'd be worried about there is the stretch panel on the back of the leg. The rest of it, if it's as superficial as it looks in the pictures, is fine. No split seams or the like?

Atomic Hotdog
Aug 23, 2007
I've never seen such confident, powerful strokes of the ass!
I'm trying to find a good jacket for just commuting around my little city.
Trying to go textile to battle the Texas summer heat. Can someone give me their opinions on these?

http://www.tourmaster.com/xcart/product.php?productid=10&cat=25
http://www.tourmaster.com/xcart/product.php?productid=240&cat=3
http://www.tourmaster.com/xcart/product.php?productid=265&cat=25
http://www.tourmaster.com/xcart/product.php?productid=266&cat=25

Feel free to recommend me anything else.

bung
Dec 14, 2004

Atomic Hotdog posted:

Trying to go textile to battle the Texas summer heat. Can someone give me their opinions on these?

If you are near Dallas or San Antonio I suggest that you head over to Motoliberty and check out what they've got. I bought the Fieldsheer High Temp Mesh Jacket at the Dallas store and it is great for TX summers. It's also fairly warm in the cooler months with the included liner.

the letter b
Apr 21, 2003
...no more disruptive than Insight.

huplescat posted:

So you passed?

Redvenom
Jun 17, 2003
I also owe BunnyX :10Bux:
I have a question for any antipodeans. I'm looking to pick up a bike while in Sydney for a few years and initially had the thought of buying some new gear when I arrive to avoid having to ship all my crap. However a little internet perusing seems to tell me that anything bike related is incredibly, horribly expensive.

For example, I happen to need a new helmet. I was looking at a Shoei XR1000, which in the UK retails at around £215. The cheapest I can find it online in Aus is ~$680. Even at the current exchange rate that's almost 1/3rd more expensive.

Have I missed a trick here? Or does the "it's imported so we're going to charge you up the arse" rule actually apply to every single thing in the country? If so, are there any better ways to buy bike gear once resident?

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Redvenom posted:

I have a question for any antipodeans. I'm looking to pick up a bike while in Sydney for a few years and initially had the thought of buying some new gear when I arrive to avoid having to ship all my crap. However a little internet perusing seems to tell me that anything bike related is incredibly, horribly expensive.

For example, I happen to need a new helmet. I was looking at a Shoei XR1000, which in the UK retails at around £215. The cheapest I can find it online in Aus is ~$680. Even at the current exchange rate that's almost 1/3rd more expensive.

Have I missed a trick here? Or does the "it's imported so we're going to charge you up the arse" rule actually apply to every single thing in the country? If so, are there any better ways to buy bike gear once resident?

I've heard international shipping is cheaper than buying gear locally in Australia. Not sure why.

Infinotize
Sep 5, 2003

Z3n posted:

Only thing i'd be worried about there is the stretch panel on the back of the leg. The rest of it, if it's as superficial as it looks in the pictures, is fine. No split seams or the like?

Nope the seams are all fine. I'll probably just sew up the stretch and be good to go.

Dubs
Mar 6, 2007

Stroll Own Zone.
Disregard Stroll outside zone.

Redvenom posted:

Nah, its just crazy overpriced here in Aus. Most people import. Bring anything over than you can, its no cheaper in stores than it is online in aus.

But you need to buy a helmet in Aus though because we have a special rating sticker, and without the sticker its against the law and you can be uninsured if your in an accident. Iv never ever heard of anyone getting the sticker actually checked though. No idea what happens in accidents though.

Charun
Feb 8, 2003

Redvenom posted:

Yeah, we get to pay extra for all our stuff. I just order everything except helmets from the US. You don't have to pay any tax if the value of the gear is under $1000AU. Newenough have a very good return policy even for international orders.

Helmets however need to have an Australian Standards sticker on the helmet, the visor, and sown into the lining to be recognised as a helmet by the police. If you don't have the stickers, you can get fined for not wearing a helmet. Also - there's no tinted visor on the market that passes AS that I know of, so if you get one, you risk getting the fine.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde
Well, my HJC helmet and SetUp boots just arrived. I guess I didn't realize how much the foam in my old helmet had compressed, because the new one is much more snug. It's very shiny and sparkly, too!

I'm debating on whether or not to send the boots back. They are very comfortable, but they're bigger than the sizing chart led me to believe. For those who recommended Sidi because of their narrowness - they are quite a bit narrower than most shoes, but still too wide for me :v: This is what happens when you have cross-country skis for feet. And good god, the coloring! They looked busy in the pictures, but it's like a clown party on my feet.

free bowl of soup
Jan 14, 2004

Atomic Hotdog posted:

I have this in a black men's small I've been trying to sell.

http://www.tourmaster.com/xcart/product.php?productid=177&cat=25

I wore it in South Florida for almost a year. It's ok in the heat, as long as you're moving.

Oakey
Dec 29, 2000

I'm a stupid fucking cunt
This might have been asked back in the thread a ways, but does anyone have any experience with the Cortech Mod jeans?

http://www.newenough.com/protective_apparel/textile_jackets_and_pants/cortech_by_tour_master/mod_denim_motorcycle_pants.html

I've been looking for some riding jeans, and unfortunately the Shift Lodown jeans have been sold out forever and look to be that way for a while yet. I just want to know if these don't look like total crap and have decent protection.

Redvenom
Jun 17, 2003
I also owe BunnyX :10Bux:

Dubs posted:

Charun posted:

Thanks for the info - didn't realise there was an Australia specific helmet sticker. That's a bit of a poo poo. Do the police actually check these things if you get pulled over? The dark visor thing applies here in the UK too, but the only time you're going to get pulled for wearing one is if you're riding like a total cock.

I guess I'll just bring everything I own and see about picking up another lid when I get there.

huplescat
Jun 8, 2005

You Am I posted:

Where have you been hiding? Didn't know you were getting a bike :)

I've been around, just not on MSN much. I'd been planning on getting one for 5 years or so, but got a deal on a bike that I couldn't turn down so finally did it :)

the letter b posted:

So you passed?

Did indeedy :) All that stress was for nothing. The corner tests were a bitch and I screwed them up heaps in the practise, but went through fine in the test.

Redvenom - you can get good helmets for ~$350 or so here, they just won't be a Shoei.

the letter b
Apr 21, 2003
...no more disruptive than Insight.

Redvenom posted:

Thanks for the info - didn't realise there was an Australia specific helmet sticker. That's a bit of a poo poo. Do the police actually check these things if you get pulled over? The dark visor thing applies here in the UK too, but the only time you're going to get pulled for wearing one is if you're riding like a total cock.

I guess I'll just bring everything I own and see about picking up another lid when I get there.

The cops will check for the Australian Standard sticker if they pull you over for anything, so not riding like a dick helps your chances but if there's a random breath test or any other random stop you're boned.

Because you don't have a 'legal' helmet they'll actually make you leave the bike on the side of the road. As far as visors go, you don't require one by law so really all they can make you do is put the visor up and not use it if they were to stop you and pick it up. I imagine the odds are negligible.

huplescat posted:

Did indeedy :) All that stress was for nothing. The corner tests were a bitch and I screwed them up heaps in the practise, but went through fine in the test.

Ah! Well done!

the letter b fucked around with this message at 09:57 on Jul 13, 2008

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep
Does anyone have any experience with the HJC FS-3 helmet?
http://www.hjchelmets.com/prdc_fs3.htm

teknicolor
Jul 18, 2004

I Want to Meet That Dad!
Do Da Doo Doo

8ender posted:

Does anyone have any experience with the HJC FS-3 helmet?
http://www.hjchelmets.com/prdc_fs3.htm

That helmet is not enough to stop you from losing part of your face in an accident. Full-face helmets aren't uncomfortable, you should try one. Please? :)

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

teknicolor posted:

That helmet is not enough to stop you from losing part of your face in an accident. Full-face helmets aren't uncomfortable, you should try one. Please? :)

I'm waffling back and forth on this. The FS-3 is the only 3/4 helmet I could find that got a Snell rating. I'm just a casual rider on county backroads, not commuting, though I agree with you about the safety of a full face.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

Alright, I'm looking at full-face helmets as well now. Couple of questions:

- How hot are full-face helmets compared to three quarter?
- Anyone have any opinions on this helmet? http://www.rideicon.com/product_details.jsp?category=1236&id=6388

jhh
Nov 2, 2006

Clever Saying Goes here

8ender posted:

Alright, I'm looking at full-face helmets as well now. Couple of questions:

- Anyone have any opinions on this helmet? http://www.rideicon.com/product_details.jsp?category=1236&id=6388

Surprisingly enough, many full face helmets seem cooler than open face ones, at least to me. Why? Most full face ones have vents on top, whereas most open face ones don't. They also tend to have chin vents that blow air onto your face to help keep you cool. If that's not enough air, you can always open the visor and just wear sunglasses.

Personally I'm not a big fan of Icon. The styling is too, err, well, something, for my tastes and the plastic bits seem cheap. They don't fit me well either, but that's not really a problem with the helmet. I'm currently using a Roof R010 Daytona (eBay is just about your only source for this if you live in the US) and love it, though the top venting isn't that great.

When shopping for any full face helmet, make sure the visor has a detent that allows it to just be cracked open a tiny bit for extra venting. The safety ratings are done though DOT (required in the US), Snell (extra voluntary testing), ECE (euro spec, more stringent than DOT), and SHARP (UK). You can find lots of helmet reviews on webbikeworld.com.

Crayvex
Dec 15, 2005

Morons! I have morons on my payroll!

8ender posted:

Having been in an accident, I will tell you that full face helmets are worth it.

I didn't notice much difference temperature wise between my full face and a 3/4 helmet but then again, I had a face shield on my 3/4. I used to wear goggles until I got hit in the face with a stone. After the accident, I only wear a full face helmet.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?
This is why you need a FF helmet.

Distribution of impact locations, based on study by Dietmar Otte.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

Alright, I'm convinced. Ordering the icon helmet. Thanks everyone.