Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

csammis
Aug 26, 2003

Mental Institution

Counter Punch posted:

Any ideas? [on slowing down copy and paste speed]

Am I asking this in the wrong place?

Thanks...

Sorry, but it's not possible. Clipboard data is read by the application in one large chunk, and it's up to the application to process it however it's going to do it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh

csammis posted:

Sorry, but it's not possible. Clipboard data is read by the application in one large chunk, and it's up to the application to process it however it's going to do it.

Actually, it depends on the storage medium used by the clipboard data. For something like Excel data, it's probably stored in global memory, so you'd be out of luck there, but it's totally possible to pass an IStream interface as the storage medium, and you could put in arbitrary delays when reading from the stream.

This would be a pretty complicated task and would require the terminal to support reading from an IStream interface, though.

csammis
Aug 26, 2003

Mental Institution

Avenging Dentist posted:

Actually, it depends on the storage medium used by the clipboard data. For something like Excel data, it's probably stored in global memory, so you'd be out of luck there, but it's totally possible to pass an IStream interface as the storage medium, and you could put in arbitrary delays when reading from the stream.

This would be a pretty complicated task and would require the terminal to support reading from an IStream interface, though.

Yeah, sorry, I should've been more specific. There's no external way to slow down your basic inter-application clipboard reading or writing, like a registry setting or whatever. If you want to go completely nuts, you could do what AD suggested, but it's probably easier just to copy+paste smaller chunks.

JoeNotCharles
Mar 3, 2005

Yet beyond each tree there are only more trees.

Counter Punch posted:

I'm working on a way to transfer data from an excel spreadsheet into an old NetTerm interface.

If the data is in 27 cells across a row, I should be able to copy the entire row and then hit paste in NetTerm to transfer it all. Sometimes NetTerm takes all the data... other times it hiccups midway through and stops.

I think the problem is that copying and pasting the data passes it through too quickly for the NetTerm system to respond properly.

Is there a way to slow down the speed at which data is copied and pasted?

I'm not familiar with NetTerm, but it might be easy to write a small app in Python or something which just watches for anything copied to the clipboard, reads it all, and then writes it back to the clipboard in smaller chunks with a pause between each chunk. I'd use PyQt for this because the Qt clipboard API's pretty easy to use, but that's because I'm already familiar with it and I have it set up - the Windows clipboard API is easy to use to so a small VB script might be just as good.

csammis
Aug 26, 2003

Mental Institution

JoeNotCharles posted:

I'm not familiar with NetTerm, but it might be easy to write a small app in Python or something which just watches for anything copied to the clipboard, reads it all, and then writes it back to the clipboard in smaller chunks with a pause between each chunk. I'd use PyQt for this because the Qt clipboard API's pretty easy to use, but that's because I'm already familiar with it and I have it set up - the Windows clipboard API is easy to use to so a small VB script might be just as good.

You'd have to invoke Paste events on the NetTerm session as well.

Innominate
Sep 2, 2004
The Innominate

mister_gosh posted:

I don't think you can profit from reselling open source, so I would be careful how you implement and charge (and read the small print of any source package you use).

Most open source licenses allow you to resell/profit. The GPL as well as BSD-style licenses absolutely do.

I could take a GPL'd piece of software, rebrand it, and sell it for $1000 a copy. The main catch is the requirement to distribute the source code to anyone you give binaries to, and to do so with your own modifications GPL'd. What exactly qualifies as distribution can be sticky sometimes, but usually it's pretty clear cut.

BSD-style licenses are much simpler, and generally boil down to "This copyright notice must be included in all copies of the software". (Though there are many that have other small variations) For example, I could take putty, rename it, and sell it WITHOUT source code as long as I leave the original copyright notices intact.

Most common licenses are fairly short and easy to understand, so yes know the license before you redistribute someone else's software. However, provided the license requirements are met, it can almost always be modified and resold. That's half the point of open source.

Daedalus256
Jun 26, 2005
Enjoy the silence...
I'm completely loving new at this so bare with me.

I need some code to stop a script from dying. Right now what I have is whenever you click on a button, the script launches whatever exe is specified. If you cancel that installation however the script gives an error and whatever else saying "Operation Canceled by User"

Is there some sort of easy vb I can throw into this so that doesn't happen?

csammis
Aug 26, 2003

Mental Institution

Daedalus256 posted:

I'm completely loving new at this so bare with me.

I need some code to stop a script from dying. Right now what I have is whenever you click on a button, the script launches whatever exe is specified. If you cancel that installation however the script gives an error and whatever else saying "Operation Canceled by User"

Is there some sort of easy vb I can throw into this so that doesn't happen?

No.

fake edit: probably, but we're not psychic. We'd need the code that is responsible for running the EXE at the very least.

Daedalus256
Jun 26, 2005
Enjoy the silence...

csammis posted:

No.

fake edit: probably, but we're not psychic. We'd need the code that is responsible for running the EXE at the very least.

Oh, sorry. Like I said I'm literally just starting out with VB. Here's an example using CCleaner:

<SCRIPT LANGUAGE="VBScript">
Function ccleaner()
set oShell = createobject("wscript.shell")

cDir= oShell.currentdirectory
oShell.Run "ccsetup209.exe", 4, 1
end Function

</script>

<br><br>
<button onclick="ccleaner"STYLE="background-color:FFFFCC"><font size="3" face="Georgia" color="red"> Launch CCleaner Installer </font></button>

showdown
Jul 10, 2001

Smellrose
Has anyone recently taken the computer science GRE? And if so, can you recommend any resources? Apparently, every online resource is dated and every book is inadequate. And inadequate is a euphemism for a giant piece of poo poo.

Geno
Apr 26, 2004
STUPID
DICK
this is probably a stupid question but what do you guys think are better for programming: macs or PCs?

right now, i have a huge rear end 3.5-year-old Inspiron8600 that is too big and bulky that i hate. i'm thinking about buying a new laptop that's either a MacBook or one of the new Netbooks, although i'm a little hesitant to code on those due to the small screen size.

Scaevolus
Apr 16, 2007

Geno posted:

this is probably a stupid question but what do you guys think are better for programming: macs or PCs?

Macs, because OS X is Unix-derived, which is a much better programming environment than Windows.

Janitor Prime
Jan 22, 2004

PC LOAD LETTER

What da fuck does that mean

Fun Shoe

Scaevolus posted:

Macs, because OS X is Unix-derived, which is a much better programming environment than Windows.

Unless your doing .Net

DLCinferno
Feb 22, 2003

Happy

MEAT TREAT posted:

Unless your doing .Net
But still possible.

(I prefer Windows but I haven't used a Mac since System 7 so who knows. I hear it's pretty good now.)

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Baby's First Post-Apocalyptic Fiction
Sup Inspiron 8600 buddy. I can't speak for the Mac side, but there are a some exciting things happening right now on windows. Plus, I'm a huge fan of Visual Studio. So I guess I vote Windows.

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

Geno posted:

If you are writing mac software, macs.

If you are writing windows software, pcs.

Why not ask this in sh/sc as I am sure this sensible question will get a sensible answer.

Beyond that I think the answers are in the realms of personal preference.

I would suggest avoiding anything with Vista :v:

Scaevolus
Apr 16, 2007

tef posted:

Beyond that I think the answers are in the realms of personal preference.

Silly tef, an open ended question is clearly a plea for personal opinions and anecdotal evidence.

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

Scaevolus posted:

Silly tef, an open ended question is clearly a plea for personal opinions and anecdotal evidence.

So - how do you pronounce Mac OS X, do you say ecks or ten ?

Can we at least have one thread where we don't derail it into moot arguments about trivialities?

(probably not)

:smith:

csammis
Aug 26, 2003

Mental Institution
You assholes better not derail this thread, we've got like three dedicated to that already ~:mad:>

POKEMAN SAM
Jul 8, 2004

tef posted:

I would suggest avoiding anything with Vista :v:

Why? I work solely with Vista, and have for the last year and a half, and I haven't had any problems that were new to Vista (i.e. that didn't exist in XP.) I'm even using 64-bit.

Edit: Some kid in my CS program pronounces Vista "vee-sta" and it's really annoying.

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

Ugg boots posted:

:smithicide:

If the original poster still thinks this is a good question, can we move it to a thread.

Zombywuf
Mar 29, 2008

Ugg boots posted:

Why? I work solely with Vista, and have for the last year and a half, and I haven't had any problems that were new to Vista (i.e. that didn't exist in XP.) I'm even using 64-bit.

Please don't, I could manage a 5 page derail all by myself on that one.

POKEMAN SAM
Jul 8, 2004

Zombywuf posted:

Please don't, I could manage a 5 page derail all by myself on that one.

Wasn't trolling, sorry.

Plastic Jesus
Aug 26, 2006

I'm cranky most of the time.
Can anyone recommend a spell checker for source code? I'll need it mostly for checking C sources, but hopefully there's something multi-language.

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

In a C# application I'm wanting to make a class that has a List as a member, but I keep running into the issue that if I try to add some items to the List, but I run into the issue that the list is null. I thought that maybe I had to instantiate the list in the constructer of the class, but that didn't work either. I'm missing something obviously.

code:
public class Stuff
	{
	List<Banana> m_Stufflist;
		String		m_name;

public Spreadsheet(String name)
		{
			m_name					= name;	
		}
so if I wanted to do something like
code:
m_Stufflist.Add(banana1); 
I run into an issue because m_Stufflist is null.

DLCinferno
Feb 22, 2003

Happy

Femtosecond posted:

In a C# application I'm wanting to make a class that has a List as a member, but I keep running into the issue that if I try to add some items to the List, but I run into the issue that the list is null. I thought that maybe I had to instantiate the list in the constructer of the class, but that didn't work either. I'm missing something obviously.

code:
public class Stuff
	{
	List<Banana> m_Stufflist;
		String		m_name;

public Spreadsheet(String name)
		{
			m_name					= name;	
		}
so if I wanted to do something like
code:
m_Stufflist.Add(banana1); 
I run into an issue because m_Stufflist is null.
But you're not instantiating it. You need to do either
code:
List<Banana> m_Stufflist = new List<Banana>(); 
...when you declare it, or you need to do:
code:
m_Stufflist = new List<Banana>(); 
...in the constructor.

Don't forget you still need the parens when you instantiate it. With generics it's a little confusing to have both the <> and ().

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

DLCinferno posted:

But you're not instantiating it. You need to do either
code:
...when you declare it, or you need to do:
code:
...in the constructor.

Don't forget you still need the parens when you instantiate it. With generics it's a little confusing to have both the <> and ().

Ahh I knew I needed to create the list in some way. I actually had written in
code:

in the constructor and that didn't work. Changing it to:
code:

worked since I had already declared m_Stufflist earlier.

Div
May 27, 2001

Apologies if this has been answered, but I'm writing documentation for some internal libraries that I wrote at work and I'm looking for a tool to quickly and easily make nice diagrams to avoid the whole thing being TEXT TEXT TEXT. I need flowcharts, UML diagrams, that kind of thing.

Diagrams like the ones this guy uses to describe software/hardware processes:
http://duartes.org/gustavo/blog/

I'd rather not pay but if it's a good solution then I don't mind.

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

Div posted:

to quickly and easily make nice diagrams

There is always xfig :v:

Have you thought of emailing the guy you mentioned to ask him what he uses?

tef fucked around with this message at 14:35 on Jul 16, 2008

chocojosh
Jun 9, 2007

D00D.

Div posted:

Apologies if this has been answered, but I'm writing documentation for some internal libraries that I wrote at work and I'm looking for a tool to quickly and easily make nice diagrams to avoid the whole thing being TEXT TEXT TEXT. I need flowcharts, UML diagrams, that kind of thing.

Diagrams like the ones this guy uses to describe software/hardware processes:
http://duartes.org/gustavo/blog/

I'd rather not pay but if it's a good solution then I don't mind.

I actually like visio but it takes a lot of start up time to get used to.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
This seemed to be the best place to put my question, I apologize if I have made a mistake.

Here is my situation. I have been asked to find a front-end gui entry system for a wiki page. We are in the beginning stages of a company-wide desktop re-imaging. We have a wiki set up and are planning on creating a page for every office. The page would include everything from the workstation serial and asset tag to the office phone numbers and address to the networking equipment, including pictures of certain key pieces of equipment.

I am not maintaining the wiki myself. The person who is doing that has only just begun to learn how it works and is entering everything manually. It was suggested that because of its being open source, there would likely be something that would make our lives easier.

Thanks in advance.

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

ken park is my favorite movie

Cybernetic Crumb

Waltzing Along posted:

We have a wiki set up and are planning on creating a page for every office. The page would include everything from the workstation serial and asset tag to the office phone numbers and address to the networking equipment, including pictures of certain key pieces of equipment.

I don't think a wiki would be the best solution in this case. Have you guys thought about using a program based specifically on inventory? There are a lot of them out there and it makes it way easier to run reports and stuff, that seems like it would be nearly impossible with a wiki.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

fletcher posted:

I don't think a wiki would be the best solution in this case. Have you guys thought about using a program based specifically on inventory? There are a lot of them out there and it makes it way easier to run reports and stuff, that seems like it would be nearly impossible with a wiki.

They favor the wiki because it is free. Management is learning of its limitations but likes the price.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh

Waltzing Along posted:

They favor the wiki because it is free. Management is learning of its limitations but likes the price.

Well, you get what you pay for...

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

ken park is my favorite movie

Cybernetic Crumb

Waltzing Along posted:

You should do more to convince them that it will be worth it, because it will be, without a doubt. The amount of money you will spend on extra time trying to do simple things with the wiki will far outweigh the couple thousand dollars you spend on a nice inventory application. Not to mention skimping on a critical and inexpensive piece of a potentially multi-million dollar project (not sure of the size of your company) is just stupid.

What if you want to figure out how many Dell D620 laptops were purchased before a certain date? Good luck doing that with a wiki.

If the requirements aren't too much more than what you posted earlier you could write this webapp yourself with a minimal amount of time, or pay to have somebody write it for relatively cheap.

POKEMAN SAM
Jul 8, 2004

fletcher posted:

What if you want to figure out how many Dell D620 laptops were purchased before a certain date? Good luck doing that with a wiki.

If it's in a table you can sort by whatever header, then just count them up to that certain date like mah grandpappy did.

hey wiz
Jun 18, 2005

Femtosecond posted:

Ahh I knew I needed to create the list in some way. I actually had written in
code:

The problem here is that your List is declared within the scope of the constructor, so after the constructor exits, you won't be able to access that list.

Femtosecond posted:

in the constructor and that didn't work. Changing it to:
code:

worked since I had already declared m_Stufflist earlier.
That second way shouldn't work either. List (java.util.List) is an interface and unlike classes, interfaces can not be instantiated. Did you write your own List class?

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

hey wiz posted:

That second way shouldn't work either. List (java.util.List) is an interface and unlike classes, interfaces can not be instantiated. Did you write your own List class?

quote:

In a C# application I'm wanting to make a class...

I think we found the problem.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

hey wiz posted:

The problem here is that your List is declared within the scope of the constructor, so after the constructor exits, you won't be able to access that list.

In C#, the language he's using, List is a generic class, which can be specialized and instantiated, which is what he's doing here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hey wiz
Jun 18, 2005

I didn't see the part where he mentioned C#. I need to stop assuming code that looks like Java is actually Java :).