Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pensive Goat
Dec 31, 2005

What's a hypotenuse?

DLCinferno posted:

Unfortunately, it seems textbox controls don't support mirroring. :( I'll keep playing with it, but no promises.

Behold, the magic of WPF!

This was my first experiment with WPF but it seems to be pretty easy to perform transformations on controls. Most of the trouble will be hooking up a menu for opening, saving, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DLCinferno
Feb 22, 2003

Happy

Pensive Goat posted:

Behold, the magic of WPF!

This was my first experiment with WPF but it seems to be pretty easy to perform transformations on controls. Most of the trouble will be hooking up a menu for opening, saving, etc.
Neat! I didn't even think of using WPF. Haven't gotten into it yet but obviously I need to at least start taking a look. Had no idea it could do that. :)

Shemp the Stooge
Feb 23, 2001
I would love an app that would monitor my email account and when a email arrives with a certain subject. The program opens a telnet window and pastes and sends the content of the email one line at a time, with a 10 second delay per line into the telnet window.

Basically I am looking to be able to send telnet commands from my cellphone via my home computer.

Doctor w-rw-rw-
Jun 24, 2008
(post deleted)

Doctor w-rw-rw- fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Jan 5, 2012

cheesypeanut
Apr 4, 2004
w3rd. ngr wut.

Doctor w-rw-rw- posted:

PyrTorrent

I've not got a lot to offer to this, I know a little Python but I'm keen to see this progress. Seems like a fantastic concept.

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

Lawrence Phillips Always #1 to Me
I would like an application that can create a new folder in Windows XP/Vista inside the folder that is in the active Explorer window.

Basically, I would like to be able to map the application to a hotkey so I can create a folder from the keyboard easily.

Thanks.

kaniff
Feb 27, 2004

oh word?

PBCrunch posted:

I would like an application that can create a new folder in Windows XP/Vista inside the folder that is in the active Explorer window.

Basically, I would like to be able to map the application to a hotkey so I can create a folder from the keyboard easily.

Thanks.

Alt-F, W, F

MattWPBS
Jun 17, 2004
I am the law, but an easily bribed kind of law.
I'm sure this is incredibly, incredibly easy, but I've got no clue when it comes to Windows Scripting (I spend my entire day playing with Excel VBA). In fact, it's so simple I reckon there's probably something similar already been done in here, but the search is down.

All I need is a script that'll sit in the taskbar, look for a window titled "System Messages" every once in a while (every 30 seconds or so) and send "Enter" to that window. That's it. I'm sure this is very simple, and I could probably figure it out with the help of:

a) more coffee than I have.
b) a good site/book introduction to Windows Scripting.

But I have:

a) drunk too much coffee already and have headache.
b) apparently made Google hate me, and constantly finding me keyloggers instead.

(this is purely to clear an annoying box that pops up and stops a load of macro code running overnight)

Richard Noggin
Jun 6, 2005
Redneck By Default
That should be trivial to do with AutoIt. Give it a try!

MattWPBS
Jun 17, 2004
I am the law, but an easily bribed kind of law.

Richard Noggin posted:

That should be trivial to do with AutoIt. Give it a try!

Thanks - I'll give that a try tomorrow morning when I don't feel dead to the world!

Jared592
Jan 23, 2003
JARED NUMBERS: BACK IN ACTION
I'm in desperate need of a command line app to simply count pages in a windows spool file. As it stands, I have to open some lovely 3rd-party viewer and wait while it loads all the pages (displaying them as it does so) to get a count. I don't need to view the pages, just to count them. When we get into the thousands of pages this means this can take quite awhile.

The optimal program would simply count the pages and return the # of pages found at the command line.

Strontosaurus
Sep 11, 2001

I'm trying to do a detailed word analysis of my vast amount of chatlogs, to look for some specific frequencies and patterns, but I can't find a program that actually makes it easy.

If anyone's willing to help me out, I'm looking for a script that I can run, possibly from the command line, that will read Trillian's log files and produce a graph that has months on the x axis and the ratio between the number of times a word occurs and the total lines in a given month on the y axis. If possible, ignoring other people's text, because I'm not interested in other people. :c00lbert:

Here's a sample of my logs:
code:
Session Start (Strontosaurus:cthaemon): Sat Jul 28 15:39:02 2007
[15:39:05] Strontosaurus: Crisis averted.
[15:39:09] cthaemon: I have it if you didn't back it up
[15:39:09] cthaemon: also, wal-mart sells warheads
[15:39:13] Strontosaurus: Oh man
Session Close (cthaemon): Sat Jul 28 15:39:19 2007

kaniff
Feb 27, 2004

oh word?

PBCrunch posted:

Thanks.

I saw this: http://lifehacker.com/397944/mdaxel-creates-new-folders-faster, and thought of you!

tokidoki
Feb 23, 2006

Damn bunnies!
I have no idea how difficult this would be so apologies if it's too much to ask.

I need a timer program that I can host on my site which people can then download and use on their own computers (it's for steeping tea). Timer needs to:

- have three three settings (Black tea - 5 minutes; Green tea - 3 minutes; Herbals - 7 minutes).
- should make some kind of alarm noise (not obnoxious) to let user know when time is up
- not look butt ugly

Thanks if anyone can help!

kaniff
Feb 27, 2004

oh word?

tokidoki posted:

- not look butt ugly

Define not butt ugly? Do you think a basic windows app is ugly? This is pretty easy to program and the simplest interface would be just a window with 3 buttons.

tokidoki
Feb 23, 2006

Damn bunnies!

kaniff posted:

Define not butt ugly? Do you think a basic windows app is ugly? This is pretty easy to program and the simplest interface would be just a window with 3 buttons.

Do you mean like, say, when a popup window comes up when you download something? That kind of interface? I guess that should be fine (although if you could somehow manage to make the buttons pink that would be awesome; this is probably going to be used mostly by girls).

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

Lawrence Phillips Always #1 to Me

kaniff posted:

I saw this: http://lifehacker.com/397944/mdaxel-creates-new-folders-faster, and thought of you!

Oh man it doesn't seem to work with Vista. Bummer.

PBCrunch fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Jul 12, 2008

Not an Anthem
Apr 28, 2003

I'm a fucking pain machine and if you even touch my fucking car I WILL FUCKING DESTROY YOU.
This is bigger than a "tiny app" but I was wondering if anyone's seen comprehensive online music database systems that have options for making extra fields and such (ie, it may just come with artist - album - label but you can add things like a note column or something). I'm putting my cds, vinyl and tape collection online and need something that can handle multiple formats and is hopefully has image support.

unleash the unicorn
Dec 23, 2004

If this boat were sinking, I'd give my life to save you. Only because I like you, for reasons and standards of my own. But I couldn't and wouldn't live for you.
Tiny App request:

Some of you may know the Firefox extension called ReminderFox.

It lets you set alarms very easily and reminds you in time. It's pretty much the best calendar app I've ever used, simply because it's so easy and quick to punch in a new item.

Now if there were something that didn't need Firefox to run but instead sat in the tray, that would be great. A tea timer would be a nice addition.
And the whole thing would be absolutely perfect if it was connected to Google calendar (so the calendar is always backed up and accessible from different computers).

Basically I would like a TINY TINY version of Sunbird with the Google plugin that just sits in the tray and reminds me of stuff. (And is as easy to use as ReminderFox!)

This may sound stupid but honestly, who has Sunbird or Thunderbird+Lightning running all the time?

edit: BTW this is http://www.tinyappz.com/wiki/Request:1215904439

unleash the unicorn fucked around with this message at 10:33 on Jul 13, 2008

DLCinferno
Feb 22, 2003

Happy

unleash the unicorn posted:

Tiny App request:

Some of you may know the Firefox extension called ReminderFox.

It lets you set alarms very easily and reminds you in time. It's pretty much the best calendar app I've ever used, simply because it's so easy and quick to punch in a new item.

Now if there were something that didn't need Firefox to run but instead sat in the tray, that would be great. A tea timer would be a nice addition.
And the whole thing would be absolutely perfect if it was connected to Google calendar (so the calendar is always backed up and accessible from different computers).

Basically I would like a TINY TINY version of Sunbird with the Google plugin that just sits in the tray and reminds me of stuff. (And is as easy to use as ReminderFox!)

This may sound stupid but honestly, who has Sunbird or Thunderbird+Lightning running all the time?
Huh. I've been wanting to play with the Google APIs for a little while now. I'll see where I can go with this (after a go out and grab a sixer :)).

edit: hope you like .NET

DLCinferno fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Jul 13, 2008

A Perturbed Parrot
Nov 10, 2005

He was the kind of person who kept a parrot.
Could any goon code a simple wallpaper changer that does the following :

- Choose a random image from a specified directory and assign it as wallpaper
- Close itself

By running it at startup this could provide an easy way of swapping wallpapers without having an extra process running all the time.

unleash the unicorn
Dec 23, 2004

If this boat were sinking, I'd give my life to save you. Only because I like you, for reasons and standards of my own. But I couldn't and wouldn't live for you.

DLCinferno posted:

Huh. I've been wanting to play with the Google APIs for a little while now. I'll see where I can go with this (after a go out and grab a sixer :)).

edit: hope you like .NET

I sure do!

Thanks very much in advance

DLCinferno
Feb 22, 2003

Happy

A Perturbed Parrot posted:

Could any goon code a simple wallpaper changer that does the following :

- Choose a random image from a specified directory and assign it as wallpaper
- Close itself

By running it at startup this could provide an easy way of swapping wallpapers without having an extra process running all the time.
Here you go:

http://www.facetiousness.com/sa/Wallpaperer.exe

It creates an empty text file called config.txt in the same directory it's run from. Just put whatever directories you want it to pull from in the file (one directory entry per line) and then run the app!

If it hits a non-image file it won't do anything so just run it again if that happens (or make sure the only files in your target directories are images).

A Perturbed Parrot
Nov 10, 2005

He was the kind of person who kept a parrot.

DLCinferno posted:

Here you go:

http://www.facetiousness.com/sa/Wallpaperer.exe

It creates an empty text file called config.txt in the same directory it's run from. Just put whatever directories you want it to pull from in the file (one directory entry per line) and then run the app!

If it hits a non-image file it won't do anything so just run it again if that happens (or make sure the only files in your target directories are images).

Thank you so much!!!

Death's Head
Mar 26, 2003

How does it handle multiple desktops and how does it place the image? centered? Stretched?

DLCinferno
Feb 22, 2003

Happy

Death's Head posted:

How does it handle multiple desktops and how does it place the image? centered? Stretched?
It just changes the background image. The current setting for things such as tile or stretch or background color will simply be used for the new image. It won't set a different image for each monitor if that's what you're thinking, but it should work just like choosing a background from inside the Display Properties -> Desktop tab.

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius
I'm looking for a way to find old torrents that never finished, so I can clear out the files. The best method I can think of is file compression; since the incomplete torrents would have large empty segments they will compress better than would normally be expected. Basically, I want a way to know how much a file, or each file in a directory, could be compressed without actually compressing it (or just compressing to a temporary file).

DLCinferno
Feb 22, 2003

Happy

Zhentar posted:

I'm looking for a way to find old torrents that never finished, so I can clear out the files. The best method I can think of is file compression; since the incomplete torrents would have large empty segments they will compress better than would normally be expected. Basically, I want a way to know how much a file, or each file in a directory, could be compressed without actually compressing it (or just compressing to a temporary file).
That sounds like an extremely time-consuming and not especially accurate method of checking. Doesn't your bittorrent client do it for you?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius

DLCinferno posted:

That sounds like an extremely time-consuming and not especially accurate method of checking. Doesn't your bittorrent client do it for you?

It only checks while it's running the torrents. I've accumulated probably hundreds of files over years that weren't finished when switching between machines or after crashes or god knows what else. The .torrent files are long gone.

DLCinferno
Feb 22, 2003

Happy

Zhentar posted:

It only checks while it's running the torrents. I've accumulated probably hundreds of files over years that weren't finished when switching between machines or after crashes or god knows what else. The .torrent files are long gone.
Hmm, I was trying to think of a good way of doing this and actually using compression as you say might work pretty well. I think a more accurate way would be to stream the files and look for contiguous blocks of 0's...unfortunately due to the nature of torrents you can't just look at the end of the file - you'd have to stream until you hit a threshold.

Streaming the files could take longer depending on how many you actually have and how complete they are, but compression might not identify the ones you are really concerned about (it would suck to try and watch a movie that skipped around or died in the middle because it was missing a few MB all throughout yet didn't compress very much because the torrent had almost finished.

Which is more important to you?

- probably a somewhat inaccurate idea of if the files might be missing data, but shorter runtime
- probably a pretty exact idea of file completeness, but potentially a much longer runtime

crazysim
May 23, 2004
I AM SOOOOO GAY
You can have uTorrent name all its incomplete file with .ut! in the future.

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

I can connect to AIM but not IRC at work. What I would like is a "relay" program I can run on my home machine, which will connect to an AIM account and an IRC network and channel, and send me AIM messages of the channel activity and allow me to respond back. I don't even really need an interface, just a command line program that takes a configuration file would be good enough.

(Alternately if there's a way to get RDC working across AIM's port or some similar workaround that would be just as helpful, but I generally would like to be able to connect to the relay from any computer that has AIM without installing things locally.)

http://www.tinyappz.com/wiki/Request:1216299532

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius

DLCinferno posted:

Hmm, I was trying to think of a good way of doing this and actually using compression as you say might work pretty well. I think a more accurate way would be to stream the files and look for contiguous blocks of 0's...unfortunately due to the nature of torrents you can't just look at the end of the file - you'd have to stream until you hit a threshold.

Streaming the files could take longer depending on how many you actually have and how complete they are, but compression might not identify the ones you are really concerned about (it would suck to try and watch a movie that skipped around or died in the middle because it was missing a few MB all throughout yet didn't compress very much because the torrent had almost finished.

Which is more important to you?

- probably a somewhat inaccurate idea of if the files might be missing data, but shorter runtime
- probably a pretty exact idea of file completeness, but potentially a much longer runtime
Well really, a couple MB out of a long video would be a pretty substantial amount of compression. And I wouldn't be too concerned about finding 99.9% complete files in any format that's moderately tolerant of errors.

As for my priorities- Well, I'd definitely like as good accuracy as is reasonable. I pretty much don't care about run time; it could even take a couple weeks to cover my whole array if that's what it took.

sysera
Jan 8, 2005
I would like to find/get a small app I could run, that would basically do the equivalent of going into Windows Process Monitor on XP, finding a specific .exe and setting the affinity to 0 and 1 instead of 0,1,3,4. Even a little batch file or something would be cool, but I have no idea how to change affinity settings in cmd format. :)

SixPabst
Oct 24, 2006

Roflex posted:

I can connect to AIM but not IRC at work. What I would like is a "relay" program I can run on my home machine, which will connect to an AIM account and an IRC network and channel, and send me AIM messages of the channel activity and allow me to respond back. I don't even really need an interface, just a command line program that takes a configuration file would be good enough.

(Alternately if there's a way to get RDC working across AIM's port or some similar workaround that would be just as helpful, but I generally would like to be able to connect to the relay from any computer that has AIM without installing things locally.)

http://www.tinyappz.com/wiki/Request:1216299532

How about just setting up remote desktop or VNC at home and doing it that way?

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

Port's blocked. Can't forward anything at home either.

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

I want something to simulate monitor input lag.

Something that acts a buffer from when your PC receives input, to when windows is given said input.

For example you give it 30ms, and your mouse moves 30ms after you touch it.

I'm trying to see how much input lag on an LCD bothers me before I spend a grand :)

crazysim
May 23, 2004
I AM SOOOOO GAY

Roflex posted:

Port 22 work? SSH tunneling? Failing that, how about port 443 or even 80? Since you're using SSH, maybe FTP will be deprecated, leaving 21 open.

SixPabst
Oct 24, 2006

Roflex posted:

Change the port on your home PC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tablebreaker
Dec 4, 2002

I let Andrew earn his RedWings
I have one for Linux, if that's okay. I'd like the ability to unrar several files in the same folder with the same password without having to manually repeat the process of pasting the password into each file.... That would be great!

• Locked thread