Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

Anyone seen my ball joints?

Fpenguin posted:

i have 1956 gm bus with a 140 gal tank :D

I got 2 tanks on the hummer, 42 gallons total, I'm thinking of adding a transfer flow 40 gallon transfer tank/tool box combo to bring me up to 82 gallons.

Mainly so I can fill up at a friends biodiesel setup every few months for super cheap [2$ a gallon vs 5$ a gallon].

Every off road trip typically runs me about 100$ in fuel for a weekend run, otherwise I go through about 40$ a week.

I think the next big trip is the vegas to reno desert race in August, but fortunately the team lead is paying for food/fuel and lodging for us, otherwise that'd be about 700$ in diesel fuel to run there and back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fpenguin
Jul 7, 2006
75% potassium nitrate, 15% charcoal, 10% sulfur

BigKOfJustice posted:

I got 2 tanks on the hummer, 42 gallons total, I'm thinking of adding a transfer flow 40 gallon transfer tank/tool box combo to bring me up to 82 gallons.

Mainly so I can fill up at a friends biodiesel setup every few months for super cheap [2$ a gallon vs 5$ a gallon].

Every off road trip typically runs me about 100$ in fuel for a weekend run, otherwise I go through about 40$ a week.

I think the next big trip is the vegas to reno desert race in August, but fortunately the team lead is paying for food/fuel and lodging for us, otherwise that'd be about 700$ in diesel fuel to run there and back.

yea my bronco's tank is 33 gallons, its gas but it still takes about $150 to fill it

Kill-9
Aug 2, 2004

You've got the cutest little baby face...
Got myself a new toy last week to go along with the Defender.

A 1991 Range Rover Classic - Great Divide Edition. #101 of 400

Right at 100,000 miles on the clock. Interior is sparkly clean. Leather doesn't look like it belongs in a 18+year old truck. All it really needs is a paint job. I spent a lot of quality time with rubbing compound to get it white again.

I'm now spoiled with A/C, a roof, a stereo, etc. I'll try to get it offroad in the next week or two.

This also opens up the D-90 to becoming an offroad beast as I no longer have to worry about its on-road handling.

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

Nice motor!. what engines did you get in the US?

Kill-9
Aug 2, 2004

Tomarse posted:

Nice motor!. what engines did you get in the US?

I'm guessing you're talking to me. :)

V-8s. Period.

All Range Rovers in the U.S. got/get the 3.5/3.9/4.0/4.2/4.6 V-8 depending on the year. More recent one's get the Jaguar 4.2L Supercharged or 4.4. Mine's the 3.9L (12MPG Ahoy!). Exact same engine as in my Defender. That was one of the big reasons I looked for that vintage Rangie. I'm comfortable with working on my 90's engine so repairing the Rangie is no big deal.

If I ever do have to do an engine swap though I'll be looking to track down a nice 300Tdi. For both the Rangie and the 90.

I guess I should show a pic or two of my 90's current incarnation as this is the thread for it.

At the SCARR rally this year.

Kill-9 fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Jul 15, 2008

Henchman 21
Apr 3, 2005

HENCH 4 LIFE
Later on this month I'm going to be putting new tires on my 04 Grand Cherokee and was curious if anyone in the norhtern Ohio area knew of anyplace to go wheeling. I'm located between Toledo and Cleveland (Sandusky, 44870). I would also like to know because I'm hoping to put a nice long arm kit on her by seasons end :D

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

Kill-9 posted:

I'm guessing you're talking to me. :)

V-8s. Period.

All Range Rovers in the U.S. got/get the 3.5/3.9/4.0/4.2/4.6 V-8 depending on the year. More recent one's get the Jaguar 4.2L Supercharged or 4.4. Mine's the 3.9L (12MPG Ahoy!). Exact same engine as in my Defender. That was one of the big reasons I looked for that vintage Rangie. I'm comfortable with working on my 90's engine so repairing the Rangie is no big deal.

If I ever do have to do an engine swap though I'll be looking to track down a nice 300Tdi. For both the Rangie and the 90.

I was talking to you!. Dont complain about your 12mpg until youve driven one at UK fuel prices - 200km in my 3.9 has cost me over £100 (but its worth it!).

I like the 3.9. more beans than the 3.5 and less likely to go wrong with those nasty liner issues than the 4.x

Do you guys have to import the 300tdi engine's then? Send us a container full of cheap tyres (900x16 is getting impossible to get over here), and we'll send it back full of diesel engines :)

Can you get the international 2.8 powerstroke engine in the US? (http://www.landyonline.co.za/workshop/international28lhs.html) They seem to be becoming a popular upgrade over here as they look like an almost straight swap for a 300tdi.

Not quite offroad yet - but i've just got new tyres so its getting closer:

Kill-9
Aug 2, 2004

Tomarse posted:

Do you guys have to import the 300tdi engine's then? Send us a container full of cheap tyres (900x16 is getting impossible to get over here), and we'll send it back full of diesel engines :)

Can you get the international 2.8 powerstroke engine in the US? (http://www.landyonline.co.za/workshop/international28lhs.html) They seem to be becoming a popular upgrade over here as they look like an almost straight swap for a 300tdi.

We don't get the 300Tdi. Have to import them if we want them. I'll wait until the 3.9s explode before thinking of a swap. By then a good 300 will probably be out of my range of affordability anyways. The International I think is a quasi-legal swap. Things may have changed recently on that front.

I look around for the 900x16s. Might make for a good side job swapping them for all the Tdis us 'Mericans want. :)

Sweet 101FC Ambi. I almost bought one a few years ago. Luckily I didn't as I became unemployed soon thereafter and needed the cash. Some day though I will have one.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...

BigKOfJustice posted:

I'm chasing for a 1600 car (2014) in my GTX actually.

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

Stupid should hurt

Our off road group adopted a few trails in the San Bernardino county region, where we maintain the trails, block off new illegal access and try to reduce erosion.

Since we have a few h1's, tractors, and a deuce crane, we'll get called on by the local ranger for vehicle recovery work.

So a guy buys a new H3, and decides to go off road. By himself, with no extra equipment or provisions and winds up having to get a helicopter ride out of the mountains after dropping his truck 300 ft into a ravine by driving on a path that he shouldn't have been on in the first place.

Once he slid off, he used Onstar and a air unit was dispatched to recover him. He could have hiked 3 miles back to the road, but I don't know the whole situation there. He didn't get charged for the ride, but he did get fined by the Forest Service for going off trail. He started to post for help on a few local forums so we went to check it out after another guy in a diesel dually didn't have enough line to reach him.

:sigh:

So on to the pictures:

I get the feeling this trail is for hiking and bikes only.

We weren't going down into the bush to hook the thing up, the owner is somewhere in the middle of the picture.

Pulling him up:

Damage:

Other then a few scratches, the only real damage he had was a busted half shaft. Which is still drivable if he locked his drive train.

An expensive lesson, but in the end no one was hurt, the driver learned an important tread lightly lesson.

That and it's a reason you shouldn't really be out in the sticks alone. If there were a few other guys with him, properly equipped, they could have gotten themselves extracted, or more importantly not go on foot paths like that in the first place :argh:.

We directed him to a few local off road clubs so he can properly learn the ropes next time.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Excuse my poor ethics but man that sound like a lot of fun having to go off trial and rescue some poor rule breaking schmuck. In an H1 to boot. :swoon:

Braincloud
Sep 28, 2004

I forgot...how BIG...

BigKOfJustice posted:

Stupid should hurt

So was that moron fined at all for driving where he shouldn't?

Here in Washington, there was an idiot that was recently sentenced to 22 months in prison for tearing through a meadow and turning it into a mudhole. (Article: http://www.nwjeepn.com/Orrmeadow.html)

edit: hurr, I read gud

Braincloud fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Jul 16, 2008

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

ethanol posted:

Excuse my poor ethics but man that sound like a lot of fun having to go off trial and rescue some poor rule breaking schmuck.

The best times I've had off roading is usually on big trail cleanups or maintenance runs where we get a few area clubs involved along with the BLM or FS and we wind up having a big bbq afterwards and get shirts and stuff.

Recovery is important, and its good practice to help others out and to understand grade and how it relates to load and traction and the physics behind it.

Now when you have multiple vehicles to recover due to snow or general retardation and it takes you 12 hours to get back to civilization because 2 or 3 vehicles are blocking the trail and the owners are not being cooperative then it really starts to suck.

It's also a great way to meet others, and hook up with the larger clubs in the area that are active with the local parks service people. It also shows some responsibility to the authorities, so we have some ammunition to use against the hippie crowd that wants to shut everything down. Try to clean up our own messes and all of that. Even if it means that we have to clean up poo poo that we didn't cause.

Big K of Justice fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Jul 16, 2008

Noeland
Feb 28, 2006

BigKOfJustice posted:

Damage:

Other then a few scratches, the only real damage he had was a busted half shaft. Which is still drivable if he locked his drive train.

A couple months ago a buddy of mine rented an H3 (with full coverage), and after 2 hours of off road action, this was one thing that happened. After 2 days the list of damage included: grenaded gears for 4-low/lock in the transfer case; front bumper gone; driver side mirror gone; running boards beat to poo poo and sitting under the body.
Not bad if I must say so myself, plus it only got stuck once!
He does have pictures and video, but has requested that they not see the Information Super-Highway (at least for a year or so).

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

BigKOfJustice posted:

Recovery is important, and its good practice to help others out and to understand grade and how it relates to load and traction and the physics behind it.
Most of what I see people do with rigging and recovery makes me cringe. I'm by no means experienced or an expert, but God drat some people have no concept of the potential dangers.

The King of Swag
Nov 10, 2005

To escape the closure,
is to become the God of Swag.

BigKOfJustice posted:

:stuff about cleanups:

BigK, can you shed some insight into exactly what these cleanups entail? I for the life of me, can't picture anything different than a bunch of guys slowly crawling along in Hummers, picking up wrappers and beer cans off a trail with one of those long sticks with a nail in the end.

Despite being hilarious, the thought for whatever reason, brings up feelings of rage inside of me (don't know why).

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

The King of Swag posted:

BigK, can you shed some insight into exactly what these cleanups entail?

If it was that easy. You wouldn't need any vehicles actually. Anyone can participate, and the main driving force is to keep these areas open for vehicle use. Once an area is shut down for access its impossible to get it opened up again.

This is from Calico:
http://www.dirtopia.com/wiki/Calico
http://www.calicocleanup.com/

There was so much trash from one year there was about 4-5 semi truck loads to be hauled away after the day was done. In our group we found about 6 trash bags full of glass shards[target shooting], and few axles and differentials kicking around here and there. No whole vehicles this time. I think we even found an old traffic light, or what was left of it.

The only thing we weren't allowed to touch was any of the historic trash on tin can alley, which had can's that's been sitting there, riddled with bullet holes from the old west era.

About 700 volunteers descended on the desert on that run.

Dishpan trail in San Bernardino National Forest, the trail was closed for a long while due to forest fires that ran through the region last year. The forest service didn't have a budget to reopen it so our hummer group and the victor valley jeep group showed up and we cleared the bush, picked up any trash and moved dead and fallen trees out of harms way. Anything that was in danger of falling on the trail was removed. We groomed other areas to prevent future fires or any type of erosion.

http://www.dirtopia.com/wiki/Dishpan_Springs_Trail

Moving 5-7,000 lb logs is a bit quicker with the diesels.

Afterwards we had a bbq and drove around for a bit.

No damage there, the jeep was just flipped back over and the guy drove down the waterfall. The guy after him lost his bead, and was reseated about 15 minutes later.

2N17X near Cleghorn
http://www.dirtopia.com/wiki/2N17X

My favorite Jeep :) Willy's on 37's if I'm not mistaken.

We reinforce the saddle portions of the trail to reduce/prevent erosion. This was put in to place by hand with a ton of manual labor and with a duece with a few hummers and jeeps with trailers hauling up stone.

Honestly you can do much of the work with a decent diesel pickup, but the hummer can fit in more places and is a more stable platform for some work.

We run on BLM controlled land quite a bit, and it's an interesting environment since theres many rarely traveled trails. Out there you have homesteaders. I'm not 100% familiar with the policy, but apparently if you reside on BLM land for 7 years within a fenced in portion of land, you will own the land after that point.

So we'll find people camping/living out in the middle of no where, but many usually give up after a few months or a year or two. Theres some issues with drugs out there as well, we came across a meth lab in a cave once, that was something we didn't clean up and we left to the feds to take care off.

Fun times.

Big K of Justice fucked around with this message at 07:47 on Jul 17, 2008

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...
BigK, what team car/number are you chasing the Vegas to Reno for?

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

Baby Hitler posted:

BigK, what team car/number are you chasing the Vegas to Reno for?

The US Army team truck number #52. I won't be at the pre run since I'll be out of the country that week.

We were having issues getting enough hotel space booked, but when they changed the course we managed to get a few more beds. Should be good fun, never rolled across Nevada before, hopefully I'll have enough time to pictures of the race.

economic haircut
Jul 5, 2008
Awesome pictures in this thread

6000LB diesel truck + mud = stuck

doesn't stop me from doing it every weekend though...

Fpenguin
Jul 7, 2006
I had some lights and scrap parts laying around i decided to make some rooftop lights

wiring everything up

i used the rain gutter clamps off an old roof top canoe carrier, id say it worked out pretty well. also makes them nice and easy to detach when i don't need them

i still need to make the covers and wire lights up to the truck.

I'm waiting for my new alternator as well

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

:zombie: Rise from your grave thread.....

Well on New years, I went to install my new rocker panel protection and sliders. What should have taken about an hour, took 6.

My OEM rocker guards, large 7/16" Aluminum alloy pans that wrap around the edges of the truck. Counter sunk holes on the bottom for bolts and drainage, and bolts in the front and rear of the pan to secure it to the body.

Click here for the full 1024x768 image.

Mine were.. erm.. well used. But they did their job, I slammed one corner of my truck on some slickrock and it bent the heck out of one corner, but it didn't touch the body.

The new rocker guards with sliders. Made from 7/16" Steel, same dimensions as OEM but now has reinforced sides which come out on an angle to allow for the truck to sit on it at really odd angles. This was a based on a design my friend did up for his truck, I saw a picture of it leaning on it's side and it kept the rocks from smashing into the doors and the mirror [mostly].

He was going to fabricate another set, but fell into dispute with his fabricator who tripled the price. What made things complicated was that his original cad files weren't the latest, the fabricator made some tweaks to make it work, but didn't want to release the plans, at least without getting paid.

Fair enough, my friend gave a set of older unfinished guards with the old plans to another friend who reversed engineered the setup and made a few tweaks. A year later we finally got a batch done up.

A few months ago, I redid one of the seat mounting brackets which required me removing the right hand side rocker panels. When I replaced them, I replaced most of the socket bolts with standard grade 8 bolts with anti-seize. The bolts along the bottom still needed to be socket bolts, so I cleaned them up with a wire brush and put anti-seize on them as well.

It paid off since it took about 5 minutes to remove the panel with very little effort.

The left side however had one bolt which had a snapped off nutsert with no access and a seized bolt.

After stripping one, and not having a torch on hand, we tried easy outs and drills but that started to become a real pain in the rear [the bolts were very hard steel].

We turned the stripped bolt into a screw and used a large screwdriver to twist it out.

The other bolt?

:pseudo:

Big K of Justice fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Jan 2, 2009

dharma bum
Feb 2, 2004

The small otter has resigned himself to inevitable death

BigKOfJustice posted:

Stupid should hurt

Our off road group adopted a few trails in the San Bernardino county region, where we maintain the trails, block off new illegal access and try to reduce erosion.

Where is that, exactly? I take my Jeep into the Big Bear area all the time.

Electric Snake
Sep 25, 2003
FUCKEN HELL MATE 8----------------------D
Hey! Lets Run this bog thats been dug out by trucks running 36" tires! So what if we dont have another truck with us, and were on 31s! :ughh:

Since then, I decided to go to 33"s and finished up the rear bumper so I have some recovery points in the back again.

Electric Snake fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Jan 4, 2009

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

dharma bum posted:

Where is that, exactly? I take my Jeep into the Big Bear area all the time.

2N17X
http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=34.302789,-117.303444&spn=0.11,0.18&t=h&z=15&q=34.302789,-117.303444(2N17X)
http://www.dirtopia.com/wiki/2N17X

We split that with the Victor Valley 4x4 club, which is a really well run Jeep club.

Theres a few other trails but most of the sponors are already taken by other clubs, I think Toyota or a Bronco club has sponsorship of John Bull. Not sure if Dish Pan is up for grabs, we did a cleanup there last spring.

Probably should organize a AI southern California off road run sometime...

I'm heading up to Big Bear / National Forest tomorrow morning for a snow run. I just redid a whole bunch of electrical stuff on my truck via flashlight tonight [turbo air pressure sensor, wastegate solenoid, a bunch of relays] so hopefully nothing blows up tomorrow.

Big K of Justice fucked around with this message at 07:00 on Jan 3, 2009

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

Well, time for my last minute trip preparation checklist and service. Ordered some parts in for my turbo charger and lift pump.

Popped off the air intake horn to gain access to the electrical bits.

Click here for the full 1280x960 image.

Hmm probably need a new CDR valve next service. I'll put that on my shopping list. I wipe it down and get to work.

Top of the right valve cover of the 6.5 diesel with the Turbo Air pressure sensor removed. Stupid steel on aluminum bolts, one snapped when removing it, but one bolt will be enough [along with the orange "boot"] to hold it in place. I place anti-seize on the one good bolt.

Old vs New sensor. I had my turbo cut out at high elevations. After testing the linkage, and that restarting the truck after the event causes it to work again, I narrowed it down to either the sensor or vacuum solenoid. Speaking of which...

Power connector where my thumb is and the vacuum line hook up on the right. I cleaned off the ends of the vacuum connection with q-tips.

After that I button everything up. Just have to exchange the fuel pump relay...

.. which has 2 bolts hidden behind all sorts of poo poo [air line, windshield washer line, hood release mechanism and bracket, etc.

Oh well, that's all done, I crawl under the truck to grease the ball joints and get ready to go to bed....

.. and I see a funny shadow with the flash light.

:ughh:

:colbert: well I didn't need that cross member anyways. Forward Rear crossmember cracked right along the rust around a weld point for one of the lower a-arm pockets. I could weld it and just leave it but... I'd figure I'd just replace them all with new ones for a few hundred dollars. They're all dinged and rusted a bit because the previous owner played u-boat commander too many times at Pismo, and without any of the skid plates [skid plates would have protected the guards from dings and deformation, some on the front are pinched].

On the upside, I'm already taking apart the front and rear ends of my truck to install new Eaton e-locking differentials, and that on a hmmwv/h1 it's possible to replace the frame cross members without pulling the body off the truck.

Fortunately the frame cross members aren't crazy expensive, about 120-150$ each.

I think the weekend of the major frame rebuild I'll probably start up a project thread.

:argh: should have purchased a street queen H1 and then popped it's cherry. No big bear snow pictures or adventures this weekend.

Big K of Justice fucked around with this message at 10:02 on Jan 3, 2009

Fpenguin
Jul 7, 2006
I'm pretty sure i got out and got dirty on this one

Going through a forestry road at a friends cabin, it hasn't snowed in a few weeks but it was cold enough to freeze all the mud puddles. makes interesting noises running through them

Kill-9
Aug 2, 2004

Worked on the Land Rovers all day Friday so I could got out with the Land Rover crew yesterday. For the first time ever all three Land Rovers in my driveway are operational. I'll introduce you to the newest one quickly.

A '63 SeriesIIA. Actually not mine. A buddy got transferred to India for 2 years so it's mine to babysit and use until 2011.

It was 82degrees in Austin on Saturday. Almost unpleasantly hot in the valleys with no breeze. I didn't take many pics. Got zero of my Defender. It's hard to take pics of a truck while you're driving it. A buddy was driving my Classic and I got some pics of it.

Looks like I might be getting a small leak on the left swivel-ball. That'll be a joy to fix.

We had a guy in a nearly stock Montero show up. First thing we said was 'nice running boards. Those'll be the first to go.' They didn't survive the day.

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

Kill-9 posted:

We had a guy in a nearly stock Montero show up. First thing we said was 'nice running boards. Those'll be the first to go.' They didn't survive the day.

I think that's the easiest removal method of bull steps/running boards. Seized bolts? No problem. Just sheer it off over there.

I missed out on my snow run :(, wouldn't be prudent to go out with a 3" crack in one cross member. I'll order new crossmembers tomorrow with new bolts, and get a friend to reinforce the suspension pockets like they do on the race h1's.

My friends just sent me a still from a video they took:

Ah well, in a few weeks I'l have my frame redone and lockers front and rear.

TheFrailNinja
Jun 28, 2008
CAN'T SEE SCHOOL BUS, INSISTS HE'S AN EXCELLENT DRIVER

GET OFF THE ROAD SON

APPARENTLY SUCKS AT POSTING TOO

1978 FJ40. Never saw any 4x4 action while we owned it. :sigh:

Trying to get pics of my nissan up, but unfortunately, macintosh computers don't come with any photo-editing software capable of drawing a little black line through my license plates. Pathetic. Also trying to get pictures of my dad and his old 1963 Ford up too, I have to shrink that from 2 MB though.

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

BigKOfJustice posted:

My friends just sent me a still from a video they took:

Now you've gone and done it, I wanna see the video.

rubbersoul
Oct 11, 2007
curse you mop toppers!

TheFrailNinja posted:

1978 FJ40. Never saw any 4x4 action while we owned it. :sigh:

Trying to get pics of my nissan up, but unfortunately, macintosh computers don't come with any photo-editing software capable of drawing a little black line through my license plates. Pathetic. Also trying to get pictures of my dad and his old 1963 Ford up too, I have to shrink that from 2 MB though.

Try Paintbrush it's a really good Mac MS Paint clone.

TheFrailNinja
Jun 28, 2008
CAN'T SEE SCHOOL BUS, INSISTS HE'S AN EXCELLENT DRIVER

GET OFF THE ROAD SON

APPARENTLY SUCKS AT POSTING TOO

1995, 4x4, 2.4. Lots of fun.

My dad with his 1963 Ford. My mom kept that sweater, and now I wear it.

Sep 23, 2008

by Ozma

BigKOfJustice posted:

This is from Calico:

Holy crap, man. This makes my want to move close to something like this and build up a mid-70s 911 with knobbies on it.

I'm glad there are people protecting places like this for the rest of us who might get a chance to get out there some day.

Sep 23, 2008

by Ozma

Atticus_1354 posted:

Well that explains it.

I snapped the bracket holding one end of the swaybar. It looks like I will need to weld that up this week.

I know I'm real late to this party, but I have to ask - why is you sway holding any significant weight at a dead stop on a flat and level? This may be an off-road setup thing that I know nothing about.....

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

944 posted:

I know I'm real late to this party, but I have to ask - why is you sway holding any significant weight at a dead stop on a flat and level? This may be an off-road setup thing that I know nothing about.....

Because it wasn't flat and level and the bar is moved a little to better show it in the picture.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

Damage report from the weekend! :D

Went playing down at Beachport in South Eastern South Australia again- All beaches and dune fields!

Did i mention i love my Dual Lockers? :D

Anyway... damage is:

Right hand rear mudflap torn off
Rear diff making horrid noises
Charging issue rears its head
Viscous fan doesnt seem to be cutting in properly (may be related to charging issues- belts?)
Compressor crapped the bed and stopped working- might be a charge issue too?
Front diff molested sump again, despite extra 1" of spring lift :(

i had fun though! and the weather was fantastic- 33-34 degrees C, light cloud, warm nights... I love Australia in the summer!

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

*cough*

Lux is still going! So far im on my 2nd rear diff, 2nd gearbox and STILL have an oil transfer problem between gearbox to transfer case :(

went out to Morgan again doing some more rock crawling, managed to drag most of my truck underside down a rock step, then caught the rear step- Rear step exploded edge of the rock ledge, but its still moved the step and now the exhaust touches and rattles at idle :( I'll fix it down the track.

Mods? Apart from some rock induced mods, the latest one is that by late next week, a set of 285/75R16 MTZ's will be living under the truck (33x11.5x16 in the old money) And a 2" body lift will have to be fitted ASAP to stop the tyres molesting the bodywork!

Also ordering a new alternator- going from an 80 amp to 120 amp to cope with the electrical loads a bit better. I'll fix the redarc while im at it.

All before the easter long weekend when i go to Beachport again, and I have a week away at uni in that time frame!

Hows the rebuild going BigKOfJustice?

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

Ferremit posted:

*cough*

Lux is still going! So far im on my 2nd rear diff, 2nd gearbox and STILL have an oil transfer problem between gearbox to transfer case :(

Hows the rebuild going BigKOfJustice?

Heh. If I had a wife, I'd be divorced.

In my living room I have 4 new cross members stacked up with welded gussets and boxed in sections to beef up the new frame work.

Next to that pile I got a pile of all new control arms from a A2 HMMWV,brand new surplus with new bushings. Next to that, a set of fairly new front and rear springs I picked up for free off a guy who put a custom suspension on his truck.

I keep seeing these parts deals [economy firesale prices] and my apartment looks like a humvee depot right now. I got a radiator cooling cowl on the kitchen table, a box of custom built shocks in one corner, a few boxes of cable harneses and misc fasteners, etc. Oh and a rolling dolly with 2 new differentials sitting on it by the bathroom door.

On that note, tomorrow I'm renting a storage unit and on sunday I'm going to move all my truck poo poo there.

Here's a friend's humvee going through a similar job to mine:

Here you can see the rear crossmembers between the frame rails, they box in the differential. If you drop the differential, you have easy access to the 12 or so cross member bolts on each axle.

The front is similar to the rear, just that the cross members have different holes to allow the front prop shaft & coolant hoses To fit. The front most cross member has a big gap to make room for the optional winch package.

This is a better shot of what's I'm replacing... except my truck isn't in as lovely condition as this humvee. The cross members you can see on the left and right, which have the lower a-arm pockets welded onto them. Slightly off set you have the upper control arm pockets which are small bolt on bits, then you have the spring seat/shock mount forward of that. Thanks to Uncle Sam's spending and surplus sales, I got all new suspension hardware for fairly cheap [under 1000$]. Fortunately my frame is in very good shape still.

I'm so busy at work I never had time [or a day off] over the last 2 months. There's a Best in the desert race series coming up in Primm, NV [Right on the California / Nevada border] on April 18th, I'll be pitting for that, so in the mean time I had a friend weld up the crack on my frame cross member. It'll hold for another month until after the race when I'll finally get time to put everything together.

The race is the Terrible's Primm 250, should be a fun day, I'll be pitting for the US Army H1 racetruck and probably another H1 or Ford F250 since they seem to be rotating classes at different times of the day. I should have a few good pictures from that event.

On your transfer case... does it have an internal pump? Even a small one? Maybe you should bypass the gearbox, and run a seperate pump/cooling setup.

Here's a picture of what I'm talking about from a NV 242:

Small pump with a pickup with a tiny little mesh filter on the bottom.

I don't like having t-case's switching fluids with the transmission, my 242 does this for cooling by cycling transmission fluid through a cooling loop into the t-case and back out to a transmission cooler (Or was that vice versa?). Problem is if that loop cracks or breaks then the t-case will start draining the gearbox of fluid.

I'm planning on isolating the cooling loop to a different circuit for reliability.

Big K of Justice fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Mar 21, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LeeMiller
Jun 11, 2006
Photo Freak
This is from the day i picked up my truck from the dealership