Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rkelly
Sep 7, 2003

Yoozer posted:

I have NI Komplete 5 and a fair number of hardware synthesizers. However, since selling the Alesis Ion I've got nothing that does a good 303 (at least, without distortion; adding distortion makes emulation retardedly easy). I couldn't convince Massive to get as rubbery as an actual 303 and the square wave is of course different.

So I was looking for other options, and Rebirth does not integrate well, and it's old (and limited to 16/44).

Yesterday I was looking for a good software 303 emu, and I came across Phoscyon and Audiorealism Bassline 2.

Phoscyon won thanks to its lower price (59 euros) and I thought the sound was better, and after building some patterns it got me hopping in my chair because it kicked absolute rear end. Guitar Rig with the "Cat" (Proco Rat emulation) on it and whoom, there we go!

So random. I just got this as well and came here to post it. Seems badass so far. I started running it thru replicant and good god.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Book I Read
Jan 15, 2008
Have to sing about it.

Prof Eli ASSBLASTER posted:

My second hand Frontman got into this nasty habit of picking up spanish radio stations so I decided it was time for something different:

My little 20w Peavey bedroom amp started picking up a radio play last night halfway through a writing session; it was creepy as gently caress and took a minute to work out what was going on.

the wizards beard
Apr 15, 2007
Reppin

4 LIFE 4 REAL

Only cost me €50 in the end, and I got what looks like 15-20 ft of cable. The screen is a little dinged up, but that doesn't bother me and I can replace it if I want to sell/trade. This thing reeks of smoke though, does anyone know if I can just fill it with Febreze or some poo poo or will that damage something?

flummox
Jul 17, 2004
I want a shoehorn, the kind with teeth.

DrChu posted:

Everything looks great except those inlays. One of the guitarists in my band has a plain black Classic and those yellow inlays stick out like a sore thumb.

The yellow fades after a few years if you keep it out of the case.

Admiral Crunch
Nov 26, 2005

by Peatpot

Prof Eli ASSBLASTER posted:

My second hand Frontman got into this nasty habit of picking up spanish radio stations so I decided it was time for something different:

J&R has it for $99, printed out the link and took it to GC for a price match. This thing sounds amazing, best $100 I've ever spent.

I love Roland's amps. My first ever amp was a cube 15 and it sounded amazing for the price. I still use it for a practice amp around the house.

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

the wizards beard posted:

Only cost me €50 in the end, and I got what looks like 15-20 ft of cable. The screen is a little dinged up, but that doesn't bother me and I can replace it if I want to sell/trade. This thing reeks of smoke though, does anyone know if I can just fill it with Febreze or some poo poo or will that damage something?

Unscrew it and hit it with febreze. Let it dry and put it back on. If that doesn't do it-replace the drat thing. It'll cost less than 8 bucks.

the wizards beard
Apr 15, 2007
Reppin

4 LIFE 4 REAL

Gramps posted:

Unscrew it and hit it with febreze. Let it dry and put it back on. If that doesn't do it-replace the drat thing. It'll cost less than 8 bucks.

The guy I bought it from was unaware that you could replace the grille, I think that's why he was selling it for such a low price. So it's worth keeping an eye out for dented mics.

e: Just noticed that the 58 looks like a 57 when you unscrew the head, can I use it like this on guitar cabs or am I better off leaving it on?

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

Leave it on- it protects the capsule. That's about the only way to gently caress up a 58- to have some jagoff mash the guts of it when it's not wearing a helmet. And even though the 57 and 58 look similar naked, they're a little different. A 58 will sound perfectly ok on a guitar cab, but not as good as a 57.

And yeah- dented 58s are the bomb. I got one for 30 bucks a few years ago.

Satchmo
Nov 3, 2005
!?
Someone was giving away a piano on craigslist, and I'm always one for free poo poo.

It isn't in the best condition. The front legs are wobbley, and a few keys got stuck, a hammer was broken off, the pedals were not attached, and the whole thing was horribly out of tune. I reattached the broken hammer and fixed the sticking keys (the spring in the back had fallen off). I tuned most of it, except for the highest octave (I sure as hell do not have the finesse for that).

I'm pretty pleased with how it sounds. It still needs some work, a few hammers have become really hard from use, so I'm trying to find out if there's a way to soften them without replacing them.

mad for pancakes
Jul 21, 2001
New practice amp - 5 watt Fender Champion 600 Reissue

New guitar - Agile Harm 1 w/ P90s

I think I've cured my GAS for a while :)

Metanaut
Oct 9, 2006

Honey it's tight like that.
College Slice

Admiral Crunch posted:

I love Roland's amps. My first ever amp was a cube 15 and it sounded amazing for the price. I still use it for a practice amp around the house.

That's good to hear since I just ordered one. Haven't seen one single negative review.

I got it for another recent purchase :

ESP Edwards LP-98LTC

Bought it used, EMG pickups instead of the stock Duncans.

Pirateparty
Apr 12, 2007

Scurvy

Metanaut posted:

That's good to hear since I just ordered one. Haven't seen one single negative review.

ESP Edwards LP-98LTC

WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAT!?
I must know more!

The Book I Read
Jan 15, 2008
Have to sing about it.

Metanaut posted:

ESP Edwards LP-98LTC

This is absolutely gorgeous, especially that kickass headstock decal/pattern thing.

JoTro
Dec 24, 2006

So tonight I'm gonna party like its 1066!

Mr. WTF posted:

Really? You prefer a Peavey Classic 50 over a TSL 602 or whatever the combo TSL is? Why'd you sell the TSL?

edit: also delicious looking les paul.

Well, I recorded an old demo with my band on a friend's Classic 50 a few years back, and I liked it.

I sold the Marshall since my band split up in '06, and I needed the cash more than I needed a 100 watt half-stack I couldn't even play at home (plus, I was sort of bored with it).

DMCrimson
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
My first new instrument in four years: A second-hand Ibanez SR405. Got it for $240 off of craigslist. It really, really needs a set-up and new pick-ups but I'm just happy I finally have a 5-string bass to plunk. Life is way better when you have disposable income.

Next up to buy is Ableton Live 7 and an M-Audio Axiom 49.

qball
Aug 1, 2002

You could go and have a bite, and you'd still be hearin' that one.

mad for pancakes posted:

New practice amp - 5 watt Fender Champion 600 Reissue

New guitar - Agile Harm 1 w/ P90s

I think I've cured my GAS for a while :)

What's the Champ like? I keep seeing them in store and they're calling out to me to take them home.

TheForgotton
Jun 10, 2001

I'm making a career of evil.
I've just picked up some Edirol MA-15D monitor speakers from Musican's Friend for about $179. I really like that it has SPDIF inputs as well as RCA and stereo mini, not to mention the handy headphone jack in the front panel.

Dzus
Jun 18, 2007

I have had people walk out on me before, but not... when I was being so charming.
I've wanted an Ibanez for 3-4 years now, and after extensive research and playing I determined that I probably wouldn't find the model I wanted without dumping at least 4 digits into a Joe Satriani model.

Boy was I wrong.

Click here for the full 977x380 image.

Click here for the full 902x600 image.

Click here for the full 962x248 image.

Click here for the full 884x457 image.

Ibanez 540R LTD. According to the serial number its a Japanese made 1991, but I thought they quit making the R's in 1990? Anyway, it cost me $400 looks and sounds so so good, and nailed what I wanted from an Ibanez.

It was a toss-up between this and a Kramer Vanguard, both guitars were great, but this one sat so perfectly with me, so I see myself playing it more than I would the Vanguard.

the wizards beard
Apr 15, 2007
Reppin

4 LIFE 4 REAL

Dzus posted:

I've wanted an Ibanez for 3-4 years now, and after extensive research and playing I determined that I probably wouldn't find the model I wanted without dumping at least 4 digits into a Joe Satriani model.

Boy was I wrong.

Ibanez 540R LTD. According to the serial number its a Japanese made 1991, but I thought they quit making the R's in 1990? Anyway, it cost me $400 looks and sounds so so good, and nailed what I wanted from an Ibanez.

It was a toss-up between this and a Kramer Vanguard, both guitars were great, but this one sat so perfectly with me, so I see myself playing it more than I would the Vanguard.

Looks nice, I almost got a 91 440 SII a while back, they seem like awesome guitars.

Dzus
Jun 18, 2007

I have had people walk out on me before, but not... when I was being so charming.
All polished up and ready to be brought into the family.

I'm using a crappy image processing program, so click here for the full 902x600 image.

2007 Martin DM, 1978 Gibson Ripper Bass, 2003 MIM Fender Stratocaster, 2004 Fender 50th Anniversary Stratocaster, 2003 Gibson Les Paul Studio, and the aforementioned Ibanez.

GAS at its finest.

JoTro
Dec 24, 2006

So tonight I'm gonna party like its 1066!
you have a lovely family!

Concatenation
Jul 23, 2005

Your human mentality cries out for vengeance and thrives on the violence you say you can hardly endure.

Dzus posted:

Boy was I wrong.

Niiice :). No-one does sharktooth inlays quite as nicely as Ibanez, I always think.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

Dzus posted:

Boy was I wrong.

'Sup, fellow "just bought an Ibanez" buddy?

Kekkoslovakia
Dec 21, 2004

by mons all madden

i51423 posted:

I guess it doesn't help that you're not seeing the progression to this.. but here:

Are you quite sure you have enough delay there?

Jonathan_H
Jan 20, 2006
Just picked up some gear so I can start to do some home recording. So far I've got:

Click here for the full 1500x644 image.

Focusrite Saffire Pro 10 I/O

Shure DMK 57-52

Two AKG C3000's

AKG C1000S

Samson S Direct Plus DI Box

M-Audio Keyrig 25

Then another SM57 and a SM58 along with a assortment of stands and XLR leads which altogether came to just over £1k. Very happy and can't wait to get recording now!

i51423
Jul 7, 2008

BubbleBobDole posted:

Are you quite sure you have enough delay there?

Haha.

Technically, I've got 5 delays on there. They all have their uses.

• Line 6 Echo Park - Tap-tempo modulated clean delay. The mix is pretty high and it only has 4 or 5 repeats.
  • Boss PS3 - Pitch shifted delay. I use it in the infamous "mode 7" for the obnoxious octave up delay.
  • Ibanez DE7 - General analog sim delay. Just the general "this needs delay" delay. I use it for oscillation at times.
  • Behringer DD400 - Super long clean delay and pseudo looper. I use it as the obnoxious delay for swells and use the hold for stuttering effects and short loops.
  • Line 6 DL4 - Looper. I only use it for looping.

I'll size down eventually, but right now I don't have a ton going on and it's not an issue for me to lug it around. I'm considering picking up a DD20 to replace the DD400 and Echo Park. I'd love to use a smaller board, but I'm not sure how much I can really downsize and still have nearly the amount of flexibility I have now.

Aquamans Hook
Jan 29, 2005
I went to Guitar Center to buy a Strat to mess around with and walked out with another bass.

Fender MiM P-Bass with ash body. I've wanted a P-bass for a while and this was a steal for only $350 brand new.

The Gasmask
Nov 30, 2006

Breaking fingers like fractals
I'm waiting to get paid, then I'm making a huge-rear end purchase again. I've needed to upgrade my studio for a while, and here are the things I'm planning on adding:

Yamaha Motif ES Rack

I owned the ES8 for a while and I loved it more than anything. It made composing a breeze, and the samples were phenomenal. Since the price has gone down so much on the rack version I'm picking one up.

Euphonix MC Control

Right now I'm either mixing in software or automating with my Soundcraft Spirit 328, and neither works as smoothly as I'd like. With the touchscreen, motorized faders, and svelte look, the Euphonix will be a good replacement.

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!
Just ordered one of these from a local shop:

With my shoulder dislocation I'm not allowed to take my arm out of this sling for 3-6 weeks, so that means no guitar. In the meantime, with 6 weeks off work, I figured I could start to get used to Logic with this thing.

Vanmani
Jul 2, 2007
Who needs title text, anyway?

Satchmo posted:

Someone was giving away a piano on craigslist, and I'm always one for free poo poo.

It isn't in the best condition. The front legs are wobbley, and a few keys got stuck, a hammer was broken off, the pedals were not attached, and the whole thing was horribly out of tune. I reattached the broken hammer and fixed the sticking keys (the spring in the back had fallen off). I tuned most of it, except for the highest octave (I sure as hell do not have the finesse for that).

I'm pretty pleased with how it sounds. It still needs some work, a few hammers have become really hard from use, so I'm trying to find out if there's a way to soften them without replacing them.

I grew up playing a Cable, my parents still have it although if I ever get a house I can actually put it in I may yet steal it from them somehow. Wonderful piano. In principle the hammers need replacing eventually, if nothing else they get hard grooves in them... the problem is, it's a huge and difficult (expensive, at least hundreds up to thousands) job and my understanding is that you can't really do just a few, you should do the lot. Don't think it's something you can really do yourself, since I believe you're meant to remove a hammer, give it to a guy and he will craft you some hammers based on its measurements. Then you're supposedly meant to replace the flanges, shanks and knuckles and revoice the whole piano.

On the bright side it is usually possible to just reshape the hammers. Basically just sanding them down to get rid of the grooves. I think a couple hundred bucks tops? It's only when the hammers get so small that you can't reshape anymore that you would normally get a re-hammer. Google hammer reshaping for more info.

I'm not really any kind of expert though, so feel free to disregard my information if you get better advice.

Edit: Almost forgot!
My new Kawai MP5 stage piano

My near new Yamaha FG700S Acoustic and my Squier Affinity Fat Strat (plays good, leave me alone :))

Vanmani fucked around with this message at 11:31 on Jul 19, 2008

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Dzus posted:

All polished up and ready to be brought into the family.

I'm using a crappy image processing program, so click here for the full 902x600 image.

2007 Martin DM, 1978 Gibson Ripper Bass, 2003 MIM Fender Stratocaster, 2004 Fender 50th Anniversary Stratocaster, 2003 Gibson Les Paul Studio, and the aforementioned Ibanez.

GAS at its finest.

What year is that ripper and are you interested in selling it?

butros
Aug 2, 2007

I believe the signs of the reptile master

doublepostin' yo...

butros
Aug 2, 2007

I got engaged.

Click here for the full 800x532 image.

My fiancee said it wasn't fair that the girl gets a present for being engaged and the guy doesn't. lucky me.

A family shot...

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

butros posted:

I got engaged.

My fiancee said it wasn't fair that the girl gets a present for being engaged and the guy doesn't. lucky me.

A family shot...

Is that a Larrivee Pete Anderson?

butros
Aug 2, 2007

yeah it is. i've had her for about two years now though, so she doesn't really count. but i love showing her off.

vac
Jul 10, 2005
:o
Take that pick holder off that guitar right now.

butros
Aug 2, 2007

it's actually covering a scratch in the finish. i figured a black pickholder looks better than some natural wood peeking through...

the neck though looks awesome:

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

butros posted:

yeah it is. i've had her for about two years now though, so she doesn't really count. but i love showing her off.

You lucky bastard. I've been looking for one for the last 6 years or so. Beautitful guitar.

butros
Aug 2, 2007

they pop up on ebay every once in a while - that's where i got mine back in september '06. three months ago i saw three of them up at the same time - two twelve fret no cutaway like the one i have and a fourteen fret cutaway that i would have been all over if i could've afforded it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Satchmo
Nov 3, 2005
!?

Vanmani posted:

I grew up playing a Cable, my parents still have it although if I ever get a house I can actually put it in I may yet steal it from them somehow. Wonderful piano. In principle the hammers need replacing eventually, if nothing else they get hard grooves in them... the problem is, it's a huge and difficult (expensive, at least hundreds up to thousands) job and my understanding is that you can't really do just a few, you should do the lot. Don't think it's something you can really do yourself, since I believe you're meant to remove a hammer, give it to a guy and he will craft you some hammers based on its measurements. Then you're supposedly meant to replace the flanges, shanks and knuckles and revoice the whole piano.

On the bright side it is usually possible to just reshape the hammers. Basically just sanding them down to get rid of the grooves. I think a couple hundred bucks tops? It's only when the hammers get so small that you can't reshape anymore that you would normally get a re-hammer. Google hammer reshaping for more info.

I'm not really any kind of expert though, so feel free to disregard my information if you get better advice.

Edit: Almost forgot!
My new Kawai MP5 stage piano

My near new Yamaha FG700S Acoustic and my Squier Affinity Fat Strat (plays good, leave me alone :))

Yeah, I was looking around and I saw the information about sanding down the hammers to soften them up. I went and tried this on the note that was the worst offender, and to my surprise the 'click' just kept getting louder, and the actual note was getting softer! I looked more closely and discovered that the hammer spring rail was warped inward, and the shaft of the clicking hammers were hitting it. I took the action apart to get to it, and used a little file to make some grooves so the hammers would hit the strings before hitting the spring rail (this was a huge pain in the rear end), and now there's no more clicking!

It sounds very good to me, but really don't know anything about good piano sound. It works great for playing my crappy pop songs on, that's for sure!

The next project is to work on the action. It's super light compared to my parents' baby grand.