Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

teknicolor
Jul 18, 2004

I Want to Meet That Dad!
Do Da Doo Doo

8ender posted:

Alright, I'm convinced. Ordering the icon helmet. Thanks everyone.

woop woop

NOW, what jacket/boots/gloves/pants are you wearing? ;)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Handiklap
Aug 14, 2004

Mmmm no.
Just made a full order on newenough, now I'm all nervous about liking it all. Here's what I got, from head to toe:

JR RKT101 Solid ff helmet
JR Alter Ego black/red convertible tex/mesh jacket
JR Alter Ego black convertible tex/mesh overpants
JR Ballistic black weatherproof gloves
Icon Field Armor boots

Cannot loving wait. Got the helmet and gloves on friday...man what a tease.

Anyone have any thoughts on the alter ego stuff? I'm in GA, so temps range from "holy christ it's hot" to "poo poo I should have worn a sweater under this coat."

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug
My Joe Rocket Alter Ego pants are crap. One of the plastic pieces in the waist broke two weeks after I bought it and the crotch started pulling apart about 6 months in. Wouldn't recommend them. The JR jacket I have for winter use has held up a lot better though, except for the horribly designed button straps on the arm that pop loose if I flex.

teknicolor
Jul 18, 2004

I Want to Meet That Dad!
Do Da Doo Doo

Handiklap posted:

Just made a full order on newenough, now I'm all nervous about liking it all. Here's what I got, from head to toe:

JR RKT101 Solid ff helmet
JR Alter Ego black/red convertible tex/mesh jacket
JR Alter Ego black convertible tex/mesh overpants
JR Ballistic black weatherproof gloves
Icon Field Armor boots

Cannot loving wait. Got the helmet and gloves on friday...man what a tease.

Anyone have any thoughts on the alter ego stuff? I'm in GA, so temps range from "holy christ it's hot" to "poo poo I should have worn a sweater under this coat."

Do you have rain gear? I know here in FL it rains without warning, maybe it does the same where ever in GA you are? Also, waterproof gloves are gently caress-all hot, I don't know about weatherproof though, just something to consider.

I'd think the alter ego stuff would be a hassle because you have to zip and unzip all that stuff and carry it with you, but if it's something you'll wear it's good enough right? :)

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

teknicolor posted:

woop woop

NOW, what jacket/boots/gloves/pants are you wearing? ;)

Jacket is similar to this but branded Xelement. I like it, very thick and durable. Comes with padded armor.
http://www.canadasleatherdepot.ca/en/men/motorcycle_jackets/p16906213.html

Glove are Scorpion Exo Stingers. Most comfortable gloves I've ever owned:
http://www.kneedraggers.com/details/Scorpion_Stinger_Gloves--633994.html

Boots are currently my CSA rated work boots but I'm on the look out for a proper motorcycle boot. I'm looking for something plain and black. Preferably with a thick sole as my bike sits rather high.

Twenty-Seven
Jul 6, 2008

I'm so tired

Handiklap posted:

Icon Field Armor boots

Just ordered these as well. I'm hoping the size 14 fits my wide 13 clownfeet ok :(

Twenty-Seven fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Jul 14, 2008

teknicolor
Jul 18, 2004

I Want to Meet That Dad!
Do Da Doo Doo

8ender posted:

Boots are currently my CSA rated work boots but I'm on the look out for a proper motorcycle boot. I'm looking for something plain and black. Preferably with a thick sole as my bike sits rather high.

I don't know what you mean by high, but you might be able to find a good deal on Oxtar boots, since they've changed names.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?
Well somehow I didn't see this thread until after I bought some gear. I just bought a Scorpion EXO 700 (all white), and an Olympia Moto Sports Airglide 2 jacket. I got both for 10% off msrp, since I took the MSF class, at a local motorcycle shop. Really friendly folks over at Moto Liberty in Dallas. Since the megathread isn't around anymore I'm just going to say I finally found my 250 and am paying for/picking it up tomorrow :woop: Been looking/budgeting for nearly a half a year for this now.

blugu64 fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Jul 16, 2008

Zenaida
Nov 13, 2004
So I've had this Olympia one piece suit for a while now, and after taking a ~1700 mile trip through the central (California) valley heat in it, I feel like I'm more or less qualified to give a review of it.

Here I am looking tough with the old lady who used to live up the street from me:

Click here for the full 1600x1200 image.

You can see I have the chest pocket vents open, as well as the vents going down each arm. There are also two exhaust vents in the back of the thing. The vents did a pretty reasonable job of keeping me cool in the 100+ degree temps. It would be nice to have some kind of ventilation for the legs, as my jeans were completely soaked when I got off the bike after about 2 and a half hours. Maybe mesh in the crotch would work? It seems like it would wear out when you walked in it though. I can't really come up with a good way to ventilate the legs, so I guess I can't fault Olympia too much for not being able to either.

It would be nice though, because sweating buckets into my jeans exacerbates one of the two problems I have with the thing: bunching up around the knees. After a while riding, my jeans tend to get caught up around my knees and start pinching nerves, which makes my feet fall asleep. It's a bit annoying. The other problem is that when the wind hits me, especially with the arm vents open, the sleeve tends to pull out of the gauntlet of the glove on my throttle hand. If I really cinch down the velcro on the cuff of the suit and on the gauntlet of my glove, I can get it to stay a little better, but the velcro on the suit cuff doesn't have a lot of adjustability, especially for nerds like me with skinny wrists.

It's supposed to be waterproof, but since it hasn't really rained in San Diego since I started riding, I haven't had a chance to test that. I would definitely recommend it to someone who's looking for a cheaper alternative to the Aerostich. It's got CE approved armor in the knees, elbows, shoulders and back, and solid construction. I lowsided my bike at roughly 30mph and all I managed to do was tear a nickel-sized hole in the knee and scuff up the side where I slid. I didn't have a mark on me from the crash.

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005
My new cafe racer style helmet. Low speeds only.

Click here for the full 1037x778 image.

Armyman25 fucked around with this message at 07:03 on Jul 17, 2008

huplescat
Jun 8, 2005

huplescat posted:

Has anyone had any experience with a visor like this:

The helmet's a perfect fit (and, let's face it, awfully pretty), but the visor was also a big motivator for this model. I'm iffy on whether the tinted part will stay up in wind though or if it's designed well enough to accommodate it.

In order words: gimmick or practical?

Just a follow up on this...

Even at speed with the tinted visor up the wind doesn't appear to move it at all. It will move down a little sometimes when I put the clear one down, but otherwise it's been really solid and I'm very happy with it.

So the verdict is very practical.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007
Quick question (and hopefully I can get a quick reply!)

I'm shopping for gear in Vietnam, planning to take a 125cc dirt bike down some less-than-ideal roads. The selection here is dismal; are only two stores in Hanoi that carry riding gear: one only had winter jackets and the other had a single mesh-type Fox jacket for $50 that was a little too small for me. It had a backpiece, shoulder, elbow, chest, what I assume is a kidney belt for protection. The Fox place said they have to import them specially (this one appeared Japanese by the washing instructions tag) and there's no way they can get me a bigger one quicker than two weeks, which is too long. The mesh jacket was a lot better than the winter ones I tried on, and I'm tempted to go with it for the 2 month trip. The sleeves come up maybe an inch or two short at the wrists when I bend my arms, and the belt strap just below my bellybutton. The pads all seem to line up with the areas they're supposed to protect and it's not uncomfortably tight or anything. It's a medium, I'm 6'1" but pretty slender (usually wear a medium size shirt). Will this be okay?

Same basic set-up as this: http://www.motodirect.com/catalog/EXL-CP1NewFront.JPG

Alternatively, if someone else has a recommendation of both gear and somewhere that can do international EMS shipping (3-5 day shipping to Vietnam from wherever), please share!

Should be okay on pants, helmet, gloves, etc.

Pompous Rhombus fucked around with this message at 10:20 on Jul 17, 2008

teknicolor
Jul 18, 2004

I Want to Meet That Dad!
Do Da Doo Doo

Pompous Rhombus posted:

The pads all seem to line up with the areas they're supposed to protect and it's not uncomfortably tight or anything.

Just wear gauntlet style gloves and go for it. If the padding lines up then I think it was made to be short in the arms.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Zenaida posted:

So I've had this Olympia one piece suit for a while now
It would be nice to have some kind of ventilation for the legs, as my jeans were completely soaked when I got off the bike after about 2 and a half hours. Maybe mesh in the crotch would work? It seems like it would wear out when you walked in it though. I can't really come up with a good way to ventilate the legs, so I guess I can't fault Olympia too much for not being able to either.

I have an AST jacket and Ranger pants, which is like the two-piece version of that suit. The pants really need a couple vents in the upper legs. Alternately, on the Ranger pants at least, they need to allow the zippers in the legs to be undone from the top as well as the bottom.

I've yet to wear the pants with the liner in. I had the jacket with the liner in the cold and rain wishing I had I long sleeve shirt or sweater underneath, but the pants were just fine over jeans.

The only problem I have with the jacket is that the adjustment in the sleeves doesn't get quite as tight as I'd like with the vents open. It's perfect if I leave the vents closed. I'm thinking about how I can attach more Velcro to the strap, which would solve that issue.

spacepirate
Feb 7, 2005
Yarr mateys!

8ender posted:

Jacket is similar to this but branded Xelement. I like it, very thick and durable. Comes with padded armor.
http://www.canadasleatherdepot.ca/en/men/motorcycle_jackets/p16906213.html

I have an Xelement textile jacket that I wore when its cold, its a nice jacket. The venting sucks but with the liner you can ride when its 40 degrees outside. I have a Rocket Phoenix 4.0 Mesh for when its hot.

Also, I just got an Icon Mainframe to replace my crappy HJC and its good but loud because Icon helmets have little pouches to put headphones. I am working on trying to fit some sound deadening stuff in there.

waptang
Nov 30, 2003

spacepirate posted:

... I have a Rocket Phoenix 4.0 Mesh for when its hot....
How do you like it? I've been looking for a cheapish mesh jacket and newenough has these on closeout. The other jacket I've been eyeing is the Teknic Supervent mesh. It's about $25 cheaper than the JR, but I also like the removeable liner in the JR.

waptang fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Jul 17, 2008

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

waptang posted:

How do you like it? I've been looking for a cheapish mesh jacket and newenough has these on closeout. The other jacket I've been eyeing is the Teknic Supervent mesh. It's about $25 cheaper than the JR, but I also like the removeable liner in the JR.

I had one and liked it just fine, but it was too big on me. The problem I have with it and my current JR jacket is the snaps they use in the elbows break easily and have a tendency to come undone with movement. I don't feel the armor is too secure because of that.

The liner will not let you wear it in the cold, but it's decent in the mid-70's.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

spacepirate posted:

I am working on trying to fit some sound deadening stuff in there.

These works great:

EDIT:
sorry for the double post. Waffleimages was acting goofy.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

teknicolor posted:

Just wear gauntlet style gloves and go for it. If the padding lines up then I think it was made to be short in the arms.

Thanks, will be going back to the store today!

I bought the bike yesterday. This morning I was walking down the street towards the garage with my helmet (full face) tucked under my arm. I feel like I'm finally part of the club :3:

spacepirate
Feb 7, 2005
Yarr mateys!

waptang posted:

Its fine, it works well on 95 degree days and fits very snug. Also has like 50 pockets for anything you can imagine.

French Canadian
Feb 23, 2004

Fluffy cat sensory experience

Uthor posted:

These works great:

EDIT:
sorry for the double post. Waffleimages was acting goofy.

I run those plus this Windjammer II from Proline

It's very quiet, though my Ninja exhibits hideous buffeting off the windscreen to begin with so I can only imagine how much quieter a bigger windscreen or naked bike might make it.

FunkyJunk
Jul 14, 2004

Pompous Rhombus posted:

with my helmet (full face) tucked under my arm. I feel like I'm finally part of the club :3:

All the cool kids carry their helmet by the chin bar.

Nerd!

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

FunkyJunk posted:

All the cool kids carry their helmet by the chin bar.

Nerd!
I learned to carry my helmet under my arm from carrying fencing masks. :shobon:

Twenty-Seven
Jul 6, 2008

I'm so tired
Maybe this has been mentioned at some point, I can't tell cause search is down, but do not use Google Checkout when ordering from Motorcycle Superstore or they'll just kind of not notice your order for around a week.

Might also be a good idea to call them and badger their customer support before you order to make sure they really for real have an item in stock regardless of what their website says.

:(

DocMcgillicuddy
Jul 24, 2005

Stop! You need a new routine you've been on this one for almost a month man.
I know for some reason Icon gear is frowned upon here but I found something quite neat in my motorhead jacket today. A pendant with Saint Christopher! I thought it was a really nice touch to keep me safe. The jacket looks brilliant to boot.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

DocMcgillicuddy posted:

I know for some reason Icon gear is frowned upon here but I found something quite neat in my motorhead jacket today. A pendant with Saint Christopher! I thought it was a really nice touch to keep me safe. The jacket looks brilliant to boot.

It's not so much the gear as it is the people who tend to wear it. When you see 30 guys rolling around in field armor vests and helmets you start to stereotype a little ;) I dig some of their gear, and I'm sure it'll hold up as well as any other jacket in an accident at street speeds.

FunkyJunk
Jul 14, 2004

rope kid posted:

I learned to carry my helmet under my arm from carrying fencing masks. :shobon:

In all seriousness, a fencing mask is a lot lighter and more durable than a motorcycle helmet. You're more likely to drop it that way, which might not be a good thing.

greginno
Jan 7, 2004
It was too loving hot today to ride in full gear, so I took a cruise on 4 wheels instead. On that short drive, I counted 31 motorcycles and only one dude had any semblance of gear on (besides helmet). I was so tempted to go back and cruise in a t-shirt as well, but instead I hit up newenough and got these items;

http://newenough.com/protective_apparel/mesh_jackets_and_pants/alpinestars/acr_air_flo_mesh_motorcycle_jacket.html
http://newenough.com/boots/sport_street_touring_boots/sidi/scorpion_air_motorcycle_boots.html

Have I made a decent choice? Will I continue to be tempted by squidly warm weather thoughts?

I currently wear the Cortech GX Sport 2 jacket and Sidi Sport Rain boot for everyday cruisin', but dang do they make me sweat.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

FunkyJunk posted:

In all seriousness, a fencing mask is a lot lighter and more durable than a motorcycle helmet. You're more likely to drop it that way, which might not be a good thing.
Err... it's the difference between about 2 lbs. and 3.5 lbs. I've never dropped a fencing mask or helmet while carrying it under my arm and gripping it under the right ear section.

TheTrend
Feb 4, 2005
I have a descriminating toe

FunkyJunk posted:

Oh thanks Mom.

FunkyJunk
Jul 14, 2004

TheTrend posted:

Oh thanks Mom.

WTH, it's his helmet. He can carry it how he wants to, but if he drops it on a curb somewhere and comes in here crying about it, I ain't gonna cry with him.

Veritas
Aug 20, 2003
ordered these yesterday =) . anyone have experience with them?

http://www.newenough.com/closeouts/gloves/teknic/chicane_short_motorcycle_glove.html

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Veritas posted:

ordered these yesterday =) . anyone have experience with them?

http://www.newenough.com/closeouts/gloves/teknic/chicane_short_motorcycle_glove.html

No, but please post a review. I am kinda looking for new summer gloves and the only ones that jumped out at me were $90 A* ones.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

FunkyJunk posted:

WTH, it's his helmet. He can carry it how he wants to, but if he drops it on a curb somewhere and comes in here crying about it, I ain't gonna cry with him.
It just sounds like a baseless statement. The difference in weight between the two is negligible and I can't see where you got the idea that you're more likely to drop a mask or helmet by carrying it under the arm (assuming you're still gripping the opening of the mask).

FunkyJunk
Jul 14, 2004

rope kid posted:

It just sounds like a baseless statement. The difference in weight between the two is negligible and I can't see where you got the idea that you're more likely to drop a mask or helmet by carrying it under the arm (assuming you're still gripping the opening of the mask).

How do you propose carrying it under your arm and still gripping the chinbar?

I've been riding for eleven years and I can say from experience that you are more likely to drop a helmet carried under your arm than by the chinbar. Take that for whatever you deem it to be worth, and move on.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?
Sounds like there's a market for a helmet for your helmet.:downsrim:

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

FunkyJunk posted:

How do you propose carrying it under your arm and still gripping the chinbar?
Extend your right arm away from your body. Using your left hand, place helmet, oriented with the neck opening down, under your right arm. Lower right arm and curl fingers of right hand under the helmet's neck opening. If you prefer to grip the chinbar instead of just the side of the opening, rotate the helmet's face away from your body.

I typically carry my helmet by the chinbar when I'm not in close quarters/a crowd. I carry my helmet under my arm when I am in close quarters/a crowd or when I am carrying my Scorpion EXO, because the chinbar on the EXO is of an awkward size and shape.

I've only dropped my Quantum II once, but it was in a circumstance where I don't believe how I was carrying it would have made any difference: I slipped on the stairs of a train and let go of the helmet to avoid landing on my tailbone.

FunkyJunk posted:

Take that for whatever you deem it to be worth, and move on.
This is a discussion thread.

rope kid fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Jul 21, 2008

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

I asked this a while ago, but the only recommendation I got was for a discontinued boot...

One more time, I want a boot that offers good protection for the street for a good price. The only thing is I have a HUGE calf. I have a GS500 and I just ride it on the street. I don't care about walking around it because I usually have another pair of shoes with me for when I ride into work. Any recommendations?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Coredump posted:

I asked this a while ago, but the only recommendation I got was for a discontinued boot...

One more time, I want a boot that offers good protection for the street for a good price. The only thing is I have a HUGE calf. I have a GS500 and I just ride it on the street. I don't care about walking around it because I usually have another pair of shoes with me for when I ride into work. Any recommendations?

Go out and try on the usual offerings from Sidi, A*, and TCS, and see what fits you the best. They're all good boots.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FunkyJunk
Jul 14, 2004

Yeah, Sidi might work for you if you have a relatively narrow foot too. The pairs I've had both seem like they would accomodate a fairly thick calf.