Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

Sterndotstern posted:

Covered several times in this thread and innumerable times elsewhere. Use this, replace everything that sucks:
http://edgemotorworks.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=24&Itemid=55

I distilled that down to a $1500 list like 1 page ago.

true/false:

the plastic water pump impellers went away with the 1997 model year E36s.

Ive heard a few different things. Im doing mine this weekend (I hope) and if I pull out a metal pump, Ill be curious as to if its the original.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sterndotstern
Nov 16, 2002

by Y Kant Ozma Post

CornHolio posted:

true/false:

True, as far as I can tell. From here:
http://www.eurospeed.org/m3faq/engine.html

quote:

Q. Why should I be concerned if my water pump has a plastic impeller?
A. Model year 1995, most, if not all, 1996, and even some very early 1997 M3s were equipped with the plastic impeller water pump. The unofficial build date cut off for the plastic impeller is 10/96 (check driver side door jamb to verify build date). If you have a 1996 or early build 1997 M3 and are unsure if the improved metal impeller water pump has been installed, consult your dealership as the water pump needs to be removed to determine the impeller type (there is no other way of verifying). Plastic impeller water pumps have commonly failed without warning at around 60K miles and up. The result is sometimes a badly overheated engine that can cost thousands of dollars to repair if your warranty has expired. Note that in 2001, BMW has reintroduced an improved durability plastic impeller water pump for all vehicles.

Pissingintowind
Jul 27, 2006
Better than shitting into a fan.

CornHolio posted:

true/false:

Ive heard a few different things. Im doing mine this weekend (I hope) and if I pull out a metal pump, Ill be curious as to if its the original.

This is true. However, waterpumps are still not fantastic.

Is anyone familiar with the up/down window problem on E36s? Is this fixable by replacing the window regulator or by replacing the window motor? Or is it something else entirely? My money is on regulators, for anyone keeping track at home.

My windows sometimes go up for a few inches when I engage one touch up, then back down (I assume this is the pinch protection becoming engaged due to excessive friction from a worn regulator). I can tell my car is on its original window regulators because they are riveted into the door panels, not screwed as the replacements are.

Daddy Fantastic
Jun 22, 2002

For the glory of FYAD

Sterndotstern posted:

Covered several times in this thread and innumerable times elsewhere. Use this, replace everything that sucks:
http://edgemotorworks.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=24&Itemid=55

I distilled that down to a $1500 list like 1 page ago.
That's very helpful, thanks! The shocks and struts section is dead-on with the known problems on this car, so I'll probably have a shop take care of that while I see how much of the cooling system I can do by myself.

Sterndotstern
Nov 16, 2002

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Pissingintowind posted:

My windows sometimes go up for a few inches when I engage one touch up, then back down (I assume this is the pinch protection becoming engaged due to excessive friction from a worn regulator).

I dunno, it might be worth recalibrating the one-touch first. From the Bentley:

quote:

The front door windows incorporate a pinch-protection feature as well as one-touch up/down (1994 and later models). In order for these features to work correctly, the mechanical stop reference point must be re-initialized after repairs are carried out.

1. Close door and turn ignition key on. Fully open front window.
2. Fully close front window.
3. Hold window button in up position for at least 5 seconds after window is closed.
4. Repeat for remaining window.
5. The windows should now be initialized and the anti-pinch and one-touch up/down function should be enabled.

I just typed all that poo poo in since Acrobat Reader can't be bothered to cut/paste from my Bentley.

Doctor Grape Ape
Aug 26, 2005

Dammit Doc, I just bought this for you 3 months ago. Try and keep it around for a bit longer this time.

Sterndotstern posted:

I've used this method a few times, usually after disconnecting the battery, and it has worked everytime. A few people on Bimmerforums haven't had such good luck and had to replace the window regulator.

Pissingintowind
Jul 27, 2006

Sterndotstern posted:

I just typed all that poo poo in since Acrobat Reader can't be bothered to cut/paste from my Bentley.

This doesn't work for me. The window regular replacement is the next step, right? And if I do replace it, the problem should never reoccur?

Sterndotstern
Nov 16, 2002

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Pissingintowind posted:

This doesn't work for me. The window regular replacement is the next step, right? And if I do replace it, the problem should never reoccur?

Presumably so. Depending on how comfortable you are driving w/o a door skin for a couple days, you can just try greasing the sliders and see if the problem goes away. If not, just order the regulator from your favorite online retailer (my E46 ate both rears while I had it, they were only like $65/ea from Autopartswarehouse.com) and wait a couple days. I used white lithium grease on the ones I installed, I'm not sure what you're "supposed" to use but that seemed to do the job.

Pissingintowind
Jul 27, 2006

Sterndotstern posted:

Presumably so. Depending on how comfortable you are driving w/o a door skin for a couple days, you can just try greasing the sliders and see if the problem goes away. If not, just order the regulator from your favorite online retailer (my E46 ate both rears while I had it, they were only like $65/ea from Autopartswarehouse.com) and wait a couple days. I used white lithium grease on the ones I installed, I'm not sure what you're "supposed" to use but that seemed to do the job.

I've been driving without a door skin for the past month (was replacing my speakers, injured myself playing basketball so I couldn't finish the job) :haw:.

Yeah, I've heard lithium grease is correct. However, I think only greasing won't help me, since my windows make an audible "thunk". Thanks for the tip.

Does anyone know why the hell the M3 uses a different window regulator from the rest of the E36 3 series? It's about $40 more per side...

Marvin K. Mooney
Jan 2, 2008

poop ship
destroyer
drat. Earlier today I was walking around and saw a brand-loving-new E92 M2. This thing looked mean; enormous wheels and huge vented discs. I forgot the new M3s are packing V8s until I saw the dual-exhaust. The new 3-series isn't really my favorite, but this definitely renewed my faith in the E9X platform.

As an aside, I live in BMW-ville. There are 20-25 BMWs on my street (about 45 houses) including my dream car (1991 318is) and a goddamn 850CSi in beautiful condition.

I drive a VW :arghfist::3:

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

wolrah posted:

...reliable BMWs have 6 cylinders.
I guess there are a lot of reliable 850s out there. :v:

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
Am I crazy for wanting to sell my 98 civic and get an E30? I made the dumb move of buying my civic before it had the 100k mile service (or 130000km) so a bunch of expensive stuff needs doing like timing belt, water pump, suspension that I don't really want to dump money into unless I have to.

I've been looking at e30s on kijiji and it's making me lust after them. There seems to be a fair amount of impeccable, or at least well maintained specimens considering I live in a province with almost no affordable fun cars.

http://halifax.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-cars-BMW-1991-BMW-318I-W0QQAdIdZ64124843
http://halifax.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-cars-BMW-1989-BMW-325i-W0QQAdIdZ53777190
http://halifax.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-cars-BMW-1984-BMW-318i-Western-Car-BC-W0QQAdIdZ63185461

brae
Feb 2, 2006
I'm looking at a pre-owned 335xi at my local dealer. It's a nice price for all the options, which include a bunch I wouldn't have gotten if I were going to get a brand-new one. My only complaint about it is the beige leather - I would've preferred something darker or probably leatherette. Can anyone with the same interior in an older model let me know how they hold up after a few years of service?

discstickers
Jul 29, 2004

brae posted:

I'm looking at a pre-owned 335xi at my local dealer. It's a nice price for all the options, which include a bunch I wouldn't have gotten if I were going to get a brand-new one. My only complaint about it is the beige leather - I would've preferred something darker or probably leatherette. Can anyone with the same interior in an older model let me know how they hold up after a few years of service?

How are there pre-owned 335xi's already? Was it a one year lease with the first one off the boat?

Taymar
Oct 11, 2007

brae posted:

I have beige leather in my e46. It seems to have held up ok, there's some wear on the driver's seat bolster - presumably from it being rubbed every time you get in and out of the car (sport seats with the larger bolsters). I'm pretty sure the previous owner didn't treat it with leather conditioner which definitely didn't help. Apart from a few ares of neglect or minor damage, the rest of it looks in great shape. The door panels and dash sections which are beige look fine.

I really wanted a black interior too but I have to say after having the car a while I really like the tan now. The only real downside is the heel pad on the floormats gets dirty fast. I sprayed them with scotchgard so hopefully that will help them clean up well.

Lufiron
Nov 24, 2005

discstickers posted:

How are there pre-owned 335xi's already? Was it a one year lease with the first one off the boat?

The managers at dealerships get Demo cars. Every year they get a new car. Also, the Execs at BMW NA get the same as well, and will distribute those cars to different dealerships when they are done with them. Finally, there are Repo cars. Repo'd BMWs are more common than people think. Everyone loves to live above their means, which is why the economy is hosed up right now.

You can't do a one year lease. The minimum is two.

Pissingintowind
Jul 27, 2006

Lufiron posted:

The managers at dealerships get Demo cars. Every year they get a new car. Also, the Execs at BMW NA get the same as well, and will distribute those cars to different dealerships when they are done with them. Finally, there are Repo cars. Repo'd BMWs are more common than people think. Everyone loves to live above their means, which is why the economy is hosed up right now.

You can't do a one year lease. The minimum is two.

You can do a one year lease if you work for corporate. I work for MBUSA and we have great one year lease terms. My buddy works for BMWNA and they have a very similar plan.

Lufiron
Nov 24, 2005

Pissingintowind posted:

You can do a one year lease if you work for corporate. I work for MBUSA and we have great one year lease terms. My buddy works for BMWNA and they have a very similar plan.

That's exactly what I was referring to with the Execs and Managers with demo cars:

Lufiron posted:

Every year they get a new car.

Sorry I didn't clarify, the two year lease thing is for people who walk in off the street.

brae
Feb 2, 2006

discstickers posted:

I wondered about that myself, and apparently some guy had this and a 5-series and wanted to get rid of both and get a 7-series. I guess if you have enough money, anything is possible.

I'm having a hard time talking myself out of getting it and getting a 328 instead. It was an incredible car to test drive.

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

brae posted:

I'm having a hard time talking myself out of getting it and getting a 328 instead. It was an incredible car to test drive.
The N52 in the x28 cars is fast. It's not the monster the N54 is, but it's more than adequate. That, and you won't have to worry about denied warranty claims if you modify it, because there aren't any mods available.:v:

Doctor Grape Ape
Aug 26, 2005

Dammit Doc, I just bought this for you 3 months ago. Try and keep it around for a bit longer this time.

Mad Dragon posted:

The N52 in the x28 cars is fast. It's not the monster the N54 is, but it's more than adequate. That, and you won't have to worry about denied warranty claims if you modify it, because there aren't any mods available.:v:

Dinan will be happy to sell you an exhaust and intake for $2500.

Butt Reactor
Oct 6, 2005

Even in zero gravity, you're an asshole.
Hopefully I didn't miss something similar being posted earlier, but I have a question. I'm looking for something with a little more liveliness in daily driving than what my korean gutless wonder has now, and I was thinking about an E36 of some sort. First, is this a feasible car for a college student like myself to own? Am I going to have to sink a lot of money into constant repair, or can I get by with some preventive maintenance (oil changes, sparkplugs, etc)? How's the insurance on these for a driver under 25? And is it possible at all for me to score one for about $5k?

I'd like to really see what the ultimate driving experience is all about, but not if the car is going to eat my financially out of house and school.

EnergizerFellow
Oct 11, 2005

More drunk than a barrel of monkeys

brae posted:

I wondered about that myself, and apparently some guy had this and a 5-series and wanted to get rid of both and get a 7-series. I guess if you have enough money, anything is possible.
A friend of mine is one of these people. Pays with cash in full for Euro delivery when the order forms become available, drives it for a year, sells back to dealer, rinse and repeat. You lose a surprisingly little bit of money doing this and with some hot cars (Mini, diesel VWs, Prius, etc), people actually make money. From the dealer perspective, you bet he gets a good deal if the dealer knows he's coming back at least once a year.

Lufiron
Nov 24, 2005

Doctor Grape Ape posted:

Dinan will be happy to sell you an exhaust and intake for $2500.

Yeah, and you also retain the warranty.

I think Mad Dragon was referring to actual engine mods (cams, crankshaft, forced induction). I think right now the best you can is a chip, and probably from some shady aftermarket company. Certainly none of the Top Tier aftermarket performance companies make anything yet. They are all focused on the N54.

Sterndotstern
Nov 16, 2002

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Butt Reactor posted:

Hopefully I didn't miss something similar...

Yeah, a couple times. I can't be a dick and say "read the thread n00b" since it's so f-ing long, but here's my highlight reel:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2809820&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=21#post346088456
This is what you will really want to replace ASAP.

This is a very good and complete inspection list.

snowman
Aug 20, 2004
due it

Crustashio posted:

Am I crazy for wanting to sell my 98 civic and get an E30? I made the dumb move of buying my civic before it had the 100k mile service (or 130000km) so a bunch of expensive stuff needs doing like timing belt, water pump, suspension that I don't really want to dump money into unless I have to.

I've been looking at e30s on kijiji and it's making me lust after them. There seems to be a fair amount of impeccable, or at least well maintained specimens considering I live in a province with almost no affordable fun cars.

http://halifax.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-cars-BMW-1991-BMW-318I-W0QQAdIdZ64124843
http://halifax.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-cars-BMW-1989-BMW-325i-W0QQAdIdZ53777190
http://halifax.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-cars-BMW-1984-BMW-318i-Western-Car-BC-W0QQAdIdZ63185461

Go check out that first one and if it's in reasonable shape buy it. Calypso red is by far the best color on e30s, and you get the gas efficient m42 also.

Mr. Toast
Oct 10, 2007

by Fistgrrl
Just posted a thread in SA mart for the 95 m3 I'm parting out, have at it!

Just finished painting my Euro grills for the E28. Nice to have them shiny again :)

Tomorrow I need to do the mirrors, bumper trim, chrome window trim and taillight trim (ghetto shadowlining!) try to repair my authentic Hartge rear spoiler
polish my headlights, and wash the thing.

Biggest car meet in the entire U.S., Import Alliance, is hosted in Nashville. This year it's at Nashville Motor Speedway and is hosted by Redline Time Attack, so there will be some fun racing to watch. A good friend of mine should be competing in his E36 M3.

brae
Feb 2, 2006

Mad Dragon posted:

That's sensible advice, but I'm a little retarded and have wanted to get a real nice 3 series for about 10 years now. Since this'll probably be the only new car I'll buy... ever, and I couldn't resist the really aggressive financing promotion BMWFS was running (0.9% APR), here's my new ride.

Sorry about the huge dealer advertisement.

The cockpit.

Can't wait to get past the break-in period. It's been a great drive through some of the Colorado twisty mountain roads so far; we'll see how the xDrive stands up when winter comes.

Pissingintowind
Jul 27, 2006
Just finished replacing my sway bar end links, bushings, and supports with a friend.

Easy job, but it took us 3 hours hours because the loving bolts were rusted to the swaybar. Is there a better way break rusted on bolts than WD40 and the biggest loving breaker bar possible?

edit: I also wanted to put in a good word for this jack, jack stand, and creeper set. I got it for $100, and it performed admirably. It is not low enough to get under the M3 without Rhino Ramps, but once the car is on ramps, the stands and jack are solid as gently caress.

DON'T GET UNDER A CAR WITHOUT JACK STANDS.

Doctor Grape Ape
Aug 26, 2005

Pissingintowind posted:

Easy job, but it took us 3 hours hours because the loving bolts were rusted to the swaybar. Is there a better way break rusted on bolts than WD40 and the biggest loving breaker bar possible?

PB Blaster.

Mine were rusted too, but I don't remember them being too hard to break. Definitely didn't take 3 hours, though I can easily see how it could. It's like a brain teaser trying to get the rear swaybar back onto the car with the exhaust still there.

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004
I'm trying to replace the control arms on my E30 and Jesus Christ this sucks! I have everything out except the inner ball joint bolt, which just doesn't want to budge. I've soaked it in PB Blaster, I've torched the poo poo out of it, and I've laid into it with sockets/extensions/ujoints and a breaker bar and the goddamn thing won't budge :(

I have so much else I want to do with my car over the next couple days but now I just want to make sure this gets done by Wednesday!

Doctor Grape Ape
Aug 26, 2005

two_beer_bishes posted:

I'm trying to replace the control arms on my E30 and Jesus Christ this sucks! I have everything out except the inner ball joint bolt, which just doesn't want to budge. I've soaked it in PB Blaster, I've torched the poo poo out of it, and I've laid into it with sockets/extensions/ujoints and a breaker bar and the goddamn thing won't budge :(

I have so much else I want to do with my car over the next couple days but now I just want to make sure this gets done by Wednesday!

I think I used a Big loving Screwdriver to get that ball joint loose on my E36. Just wedged it between the all joint and the subframe and pryed. Either that or I used the Big loving Hammer from up top with a long extension.

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004
7 loving hours later and the control arm is off :woop:

Huge pain in the rear end, and now I get to do it on the other side :(

Pissingintowind
Jul 27, 2006

Doctor Grape Ape posted:

PB Blaster.

Mine were rusted too, but I don't remember them being too hard to break. Definitely didn't take 3 hours, though I can easily see how it could. It's like a brain teaser trying to get the rear swaybar back onto the car with the exhaust still there.

The three hours might be because we are retarded and didn't notice there was a spot to properly hold the sway bar to provide adequate opposing force for using a wrench. Sad.

On the upside, no more clunking from the front of the car!

Sterndotstern
Nov 16, 2002

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Walmart 2-Gal Air Tank
http://tinyurl.com/6xjuzy

Ebay a Decent Used Impact Gun
http://tinyurl.com/5jxgyy

Harbor Freight Impact Socket Set
http://tinyurl.com/5b5hfl

One afternoon and $200 means you won't have to gently caress with stuck bolts.

Sterndotstern fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Jul 28, 2008

Pissingintowind
Jul 27, 2006
Lord knows us BMW guys need tools. Here's a good deal I just got in on:

$100 - 145 piece Craftsman tool kit

Considering I just broke one of my Autozone brand ratchets, this came at a good time.

The kit has no filler at all, it's all usable good stuff.

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004

two_beer_bishes posted:

Yesterday I managed to finish both control arms (with M3 bushings), new parking brake shoes, new H&R sport springs, and bled the brakes. One minor "issue"...the pedal feels different... I bled the brakes a couple months ago and there was no difference in pedal feel from before, now there is a difference as the pedal needs to be pushed further in to get braking power. It just feels like there is less pressure in the lines, or something. As far as I can tell it is not leaking brake fluid anywhere.

Doctor Grape Ape
Aug 26, 2005

two_beer_bishes posted:

Yesterday I managed to finish both control arms (with M3 bushings), new parking brake shoes, new H&R sport springs, and bled the brakes. One minor "issue"...the pedal feels different... I bled the brakes a couple months ago and there was no difference in pedal feel from before, now there is a difference as the pedal needs to be pushed further in to get braking power. It just feels like there is less pressure in the lines, or something. As far as I can tell it is not leaking brake fluid anywhere.

Bleed them again. My clutch was like that because it had a tiny amount of air in it, I put another quart through the clutch only and it finally fixed itself.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
The stopper for my clutch pedal broke off yesterday. I guess chalk that as one more thing to do this weekend while I have the wrenches out to take care of the sensor that's giving me lovely idle and a code.

I thought this car already had a terrible dead zone on the clutch, now it's an inch or two worse...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

YOU CANNOT MAKE A MISTAKE SO BIG THAT 80 GRIT CAN'T FIX IT!
:smug:
For the Birmingham BMW folks, you need to check out Stephen's Garage (326-4542, 4105 4th Ave. South, Birmingham, AL 35222). He just did the wheel bearing in the right rear and fixed the brake light board (removed it, soldered up the burned spot, and replaced the bulb socket) for me for $383. Momentum quoted me $550 for the bearing only. I looked into doing it myself after the Momentum quote and parts were going to run me $278, the tool another $250, and approximately 3 hours of labor. I called a buddy to see if he had the tool and he told me to ask Stephen what he would charge.

He's a one man shop and has been working on BMWs for 30+ years. I guess I found a new shop. Hopefully Rory will make it without me. ;)