Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kreg
Sep 2, 2006
Anyone have any experience bonding links which terminate on different routers?

We have several 7200s which terminate channelized DS3s for customer T1 lines. We usually use PPP Multilink to bond T1s together for customers who require more bandwidth, but we now need to bond T1 lines which terminate to DS3s on different chassis. Any ideas?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

CrazyLittle posted:

It's pretty easy. You just have to pick what method fits your needs. What device in that diagram is doing your NAT? That's probably the best place to implement any failover plan as your external IP dictates the return path (unless you've got BGP peers).

The 1812 is doing our NAT.

The 2811 is all new as of last week.

ragzilla
Sep 9, 2005
don't ask me, i only work here

Kreg posted:

We have several 7200s which terminate channelized DS3s for customer T1 lines. We usually use PPP Multilink to bond T1s together for customers who require more bandwidth, but we now need to bond T1 lines which terminate to DS3s on different chassis. Any ideas?

The short answer is you can't.

The longer answer(s) are you can but:

a) You use CEF load balancing to put 2 routes into your IGP (one from each cust agg router) for the customer's routed prefix. Your upstream equipment should see the 2 paths and use CEF to load balance appropriately. Traffic from host-to-host will be restricted to the max speed of a single link due to the default CEF load balancing algorithm (per destination vs. per packet).

b) You buy a DACS/DCS (if you're under 12 total DS3s inbound, or when you consider how the DACS grooms stuff if you're under 24 total in+out (in from carrier, out to 7200)- you could look at an older Cisco 15454 with an XC-VT) and use the DACS to groom your DS3s from your carriers onto different channels of DS3s going to your aggregation routers. However the but in this case is "it's going to cost you". But it's a once off CapEx (and associated OpEx if you choose to get maintenance/SmartNET on it) and gives you a lot more flexibility with where you get/bring in circuits.

-edit-
Forgot the comedy old school variant on option B. You get a bunch of M13 multiplexers, wire them up to a bunch of DSX shelves and do manual cross connects from the telco mux->aggregation router mux. You still have a wire-wrap tool right?
-/edit-

ragzilla fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Jul 22, 2008

jwh
Jun 12, 2002

Girdle Wax posted:

use the DACS to groom your DS3s from your carriers onto different channels of DS3s going to your aggregation routers.
That's a fun idea. I'd like to see what kind of hilarious things happen once the ds1 mapping documentation dies on the vine, and nobody can remember what's going where.

Cisco has something called multichassis multilink ppp, but it looks like a big mess that doesn't attempt to solve the problem in this case. Unless of course it does, but even if it did, I'd be nervous.

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

Bob Morales posted:

The 1812 is doing our NAT.

The 2811 is all new as of last week.

And what's the handoff for the 2811? Routed IP space or more NAT?

Jon
Nov 30, 2004
How is the DHCP discovery sent? I mean, the packet's got the IP address 255.255.255.255, but if it doesn't know a default gateway how does that get to the DHCP server?

Ninja Rope
Oct 22, 2005

Wee.
The DHCP server is on the same broadcast domain as the DHCP client, or some device is forwarding/proxying the DHCP requests to the correct location on the client's behalf.

jwh
Jun 12, 2002

Dr. Ron Paul posted:

How is the DHCP discovery sent? I mean, the packet's got the IP address 255.255.255.255, but if it doesn't know a default gateway how does that get to the DHCP server?

The DHCP server is either in the same broadcast domain, or the DHCP discovery is forwarded by a router configured to intercept and unicast these packets (ie., dhcp-helper).

GOOCHY
Sep 17, 2003

In an interstellar burst I'm back to save the universe!

Kreg posted:

Shew... may just want to do a CFA move and kick one or the other T1 over to the other channelized DS3 so they're both riding the same one.

ragzilla
Sep 9, 2005

jwh posted:

That's a fun idea. I'd like to see what kind of hilarious things happen once the ds1 mapping documentation dies on the vine, and nobody can remember what's going where.

The '15454 as a DACS' keeps pretty good documentation internally (you get like 80 characters for a circuit name) - we stick to a pretty standard <customer name> -( <x>/<y> -) <carrier circuit id>. The carrier you can pick up from the port it comes in on since you get to label those too.

As a backup you can back up the node database from inside the software, and we also keep docs of where every circuit comes in (and the 'where it goes' can be gleaned from router docs)- though we've never lost a database and the low level software is pretty much rock solid since Cisco didn't initially write it (they bought up a company called Cerent and slapped a new label on the front).

But yeah, I'd stab myself in the eyes if I had to manage 15 or so carriers with multiple different handoffs to us (CT3, OC3- mix of native VT1.5 mapped STS-1s and CT3 inside STS-1, OC12) and still had to do it with a mixture of DS3s going direct into my agg routers and some muxes to break out the occasional channel.

Jon
Nov 30, 2004

Ninja Rope posted:

The DHCP server is on the same broadcast domain as the DHCP client, or some device is forwarding/proxying the DHCP requests to the correct location on the client's behalf.

jwh posted:

The DHCP server is either in the same broadcast domain, or the DHCP discovery is forwarded by a router configured to intercept and unicast these packets (ie., dhcp-helper).

Thanks guys :)

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

so I had an entertaining night last night. I was mistakenly asked to do a password recovery on an 1841 router that was setup by AT&T.

never doing that again.

Evidently they fudged the memory register stuff around so that you couldn't do confreg 0x2142 and bypass the startup config during the boot process.

I'm thinking that might be a neat thing to know because I have several assets in CoLos that aren't exactly good about keeping people from messing with other people's stuff.

Anyone know how they did it?

ragzilla
Sep 9, 2005

coconono posted:

so I had an entertaining night last night. I was mistakenly asked to do a password recovery on an 1841 router that was setup by AT&T.

never doing that again.

Evidently they fudged the memory register stuff around so that you couldn't do confreg 0x2142 and bypass the startup config during the boot process.

I'm thinking that might be a neat thing to know because I have several assets in CoLos that aren't exactly good about keeping people from messing with other people's stuff.

Anyone know how they did it?

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/routers/ps274/products_configuration_example09186a00801d8113.shtml

'no service password-recovery'

but uh, make sure you have lots of backups first.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Girdle Wax posted:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/routers/ps274/products_configuration_example09186a00801d8113.shtml

'no service password-recovery'

but uh, make sure you have lots of backups first.

mighty cool. thanks. I think AT&T did something different, like actually changing the memory addresses that loaded the boot image. But this will work nicely.

ionn
Jan 23, 2004

Din morsa.
Grimey Drawer
Stuff like that should probably only be needed where you cannot be sure of the physical access to your equipment. Colos or equipment at 3rd party sites that you mention however, is just where it might be useful. Where possible good physical security is always better, and if so, protecting against someone resetting your gear should be unnecessary.
We had a couple of routers at us where the provider had superglued blank RJ-45 plugs in the console ports...

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Girdle Wax posted:

As a backup you can back up the node database from inside the software, and we also keep docs of where every circuit comes in (and the 'where it goes' can be gleaned from router docs)- though we've never lost a database and the low level software is pretty much rock solid since Cisco didn't initially write it (they bought up a company called Cerent and slapped a new label on the front).

That "low level software" is called TL1 and it's been around since the 70's. Once you learn how to use there is no reason to use the CTC GUI stuff. With TL1 you can configure an almost limitless number of boxes with a few macros, all you need is the initial OSC circuits up.

Fun bit of trivia. In CTC version 4 or less (they are up to 8.5 now I think) the default username was "petaluma" as in California, the headquarters of Cerent. So if you ever have the unfortunate task of updating a bunch of 15454s from CTC version 2, to 4 (change TCCs here) to 7 then finally to 8 you'll need to know that. Trust me I know.

heresy
Nov 25, 2003
Can anyone point me in the direction of a Linux/Unix-based freeware Netflow collector, that's quick and easy to set up? I'm after the quickest way to start capturing data, and having it presented in a viewable format eg via Apache. I've got experience with nfacapd (yuck) and NFdump, but both require a fair bit of configuration before they're able to provide useful data.

Ideally I want to install it, then configure the router to dump netflow data to it, and be able to view this data straight away with minimal config on the collector. Am I asking too much?

[edit] answering my own question. Have gone for the free version of this since I'm only monitoring one interface: http://manageengine.adventnet.com/products/netflow/index.html?1
[/edit]

heresy fucked around with this message at 11:55 on Jul 25, 2008

H.R. Paperstacks
May 1, 2006

This is America
My president is black
and my Lambo is blue

heresy posted:

Can anyone point me in the direction of a Linux/Unix-based freeware Netflow collector, that's quick and easy to set up? I'm after the quickest way to start capturing data, and having it presented in a viewable format eg via Apache. I've got experience with nfacapd (yuck) and NFdump, but both require a fair bit of configuration before they're able to provide useful data.

Ideally I want to install it, then configure the router to dump netflow data to it, and be able to view this data straight away with minimal config on the collector. Am I asking too much?

[edit] answering my own question. Have gone for the free version of this since I'm only monitoring one interface: http://manageengine.adventnet.com/products/netflow/index.html?1
[/edit]

https://www.ntop.org

ragzilla
Sep 9, 2005

Powercrazy posted:

That "low level software" is called TL1 and it's been around since the 70's. Once you learn how to use there is no reason to use the CTC GUI stuff. With TL1 you can configure an almost limitless number of boxes with a few macros, all you need is the initial OSC circuits up.

Fun bit of trivia. In CTC version 4 or less (they are up to 8.5 now I think) the default username was "petaluma" as in California, the headquarters of Cerent. So if you ever have the unfortunate task of updating a bunch of 15454s from CTC version 2, to 4 (change TCCs here) to 7 then finally to 8 you'll need to know that. Trust me I know.

That's version 3 and below, 4 was the first cisco version where they started using the username CISCO15 (all my shelves are still on 4.6 since we only just got TCC2s). TL1s more a language than the underlying software- it's defined by a standard somewhere as the standard language for interacting with telco equipment. I guess the stability more comes from the fact that everything is relatively "simple" since the software is just programming the hardware to tell it which STS/VT1.5 to interconnect to where and since the hardware is solid the software ends up being that way too.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
Ah, I was off by one then. I'm still amazed by how many telco's are using TCCs or TCC+'s. When I was working in the Richardson SP lab, we had an upgrade almost every month. Usually from version 3 or 4. Occasionally from 7 to 8 (that is a nightmare upgrade as well, because your old highspeed slot OC48 cards don't work in 8.)

CISCO15
otbu+1

ragzilla
Sep 9, 2005

Powercrazy posted:

Ah, I was off by one then. I'm still amazed by how many telco's are using TCCs or TCC+'s. When I was working in the Richardson SP lab, we had an upgrade almost every month. Usually from version 3 or 4. Occasionally from 7 to 8 (that is a nightmare upgrade as well, because your old highspeed slot OC48 cards don't work in 8.)

CISCO15
otbu+1

We're about to do a 4 -> 4.6 -> 7 -> 8 upgrade, any advice? Mostly single port OC12, 4 port OC3 and DS3XM6 cards.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
Any "high speed slot" (the triangles) cards, MAY not work in 8. But otherwise you should be ok, unless that 4 port OC3 is really old (there's a particular revision of the multi-port cards that have been around forever and won't work in 8, unfortunetly I can't recall the exact part number).

I take it this is a live system at a telco or something? If it is, then there aren't really any tricks except of course ensuring that your cards are compatible. Are you going to 8.0 or 8.5 or something like that? 8.5 fixes a lot of the "overlooked" problems of 8.0. There are also some incremental releases that fix some specific issues with certain SFPs and XFPs. But it looks like you are dealing with fixed optics, so you are probably just fine.

I won't have my CCO access back until monday, so I can't look up the exact internal engineering documents, but I will certainly check them out when I can.

When are you doing the upgrade? I'd like to keep in contact because it will be a nice refresher course for me on the 15454. I've been out of the loop for about 6 months.

ragzilla
Sep 9, 2005

Yeah, it's our live production rings between our buildings, probably ~ 400-500 VT1.5s riding it.

Codewise- yeah we licensed for 8.5 for the shelves we're keeping service so we should be able to go 7->8.5 (iirc we need to stop at 7 after 4.6 for some database upgrade reason). A handful of the OC3s could be pretty old... one of the shelves is a Cerent original.

Upgradewise I'm trying to get us to do this in the next couple of weeks- we need to upgrade so we can bring a new shelf into the mix running vxc-10gs and mrc-12- planning to consolidate a pair of our existing shelves into a single new shelf.

HypeTelecon
May 19, 2003

Destroying ecosystems for fun and profit!
Quick question:

I currently have a single 3750G. I have another 3750G that I would like to add to the stack.

What do I need to do to the new 3750G's configuration to make it so it will just become a slave to the currently active 3750G when it is connected to the stack? Anything? Or do I just need to make sure they are both running the same version of the IOS software?

jwh
Jun 12, 2002

HypeTelecon posted:

Quick question:

I currently have a single 3750G. I have another 3750G that I would like to add to the stack.

What do I need to do to the new 3750G's configuration to make it so it will just become a slave to the currently active 3750G when it is connected to the stack? Anything? Or do I just need to make sure they are both running the same version of the IOS software?

Same version of IOS yes, but you can also manually modify the stack member election priority. This document may help you: http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps5023/products_configuration_example09186a00807811ad.shtml

atticus
Nov 7, 2002

this is how u post~
:madmax::hf::riker:
I think the default priority for most stackable switches out of the box is 1. The higher the switch priority, the more likely it is to become the master. Check your existing switch priority

code:
show switch detail
If it's set to one, change it to something higher, say 15

code:
switch 1 priority 15
You need a reload for this to take effect.

On your new switch, make sure the priority is lower than 15 (same command as above) and yes, make sure they're running the same version of code. After that, you should just be able to hook them up (loop-style - stack port 1 on switch 1 to stack port 2 on switch 2, stack port 1 on switch 2 to stack port 2 on switch 1) and power on the second switch.

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
I MAP THE FUCK OUT OF PEOPLE
We have a 4948-10GE and a 4948. I would like to reclaim the 4948 to move it to another project but it has a SFP shooting 1000BaseSX to a customer. The 4948-10GE has a 10000BaseSR that is un-used.

Is it possible to use the 10000BaseSR GBIC to send 1000BaseSX. I'm leaning towards no but they both use the same wavelength light so I'm holding out some hope.

Alternatively does anyone make a 1000BaseSX GBIC that will fit into the 10GE's X2 port?

Just moving the 4948-10GE is out of the question since it is running traffic now and we need to have the fiber ports from the 4948.

ragzilla
Sep 9, 2005

FatCow posted:

We have a 4948-10GE and a 4948. I would like to reclaim the 4948 to move it to another project but it has a SFP shooting 1000BaseSX to a customer. The 4948-10GE has a 10000BaseSR that is un-used.

Is it possible to use the 10000BaseSR GBIC to send 1000BaseSX. I'm leaning towards no but they both use the same wavelength light so I'm holding out some hope.

Alternatively does anyone make a 1000BaseSX GBIC that will fit into the 10GE's X2 port?

Just moving the 4948-10GE is out of the question since it is running traffic now and we need to have the fiber ports from the 4948.

The 4948-10GE doesn't support the TwinGig adapter, so there's no way to do this to my knowledge without an external piece of equipment (1000BaseSX fiber transceiver, plug into one of the copper ports on the 4948)

Syano
Jul 13, 2005
Doing a bit of research on Cisco's site it appears one of the sell up features of the add in IPS sensor for the ISR routers is it has a "complete" IPS signature set. Is it really that much different from the built in IPS on say the 1841?

Richard Noggin
Jun 6, 2005
Redneck By Default
To start - I'm loving green when it comes to Cisco stuff.

I have a client with a PIX 515 and a T1. Something is sucking up all the bandwidth on the T1, and I'm having trouble figuring out what. I have a trial of Fireplotter that's showing the culprit is source 111.111.111.111. I have no idea what this address is, but it's got active connections to the outside world on multiple ports.

edit: Looks like Fireplotter displays 111.111.111.111 if it can't find the name. Fuuuuuuck.

Richard Noggin fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Jul 29, 2008

Kreg
Sep 2, 2006
What kind of a switch do you have? You can possibly try setting up a SPAN to a PC running Wireshark or some other packet sniffer and look for suspicious activity that way...ftp sessions that look out of place or bit torrent.

Tremblay
Oct 8, 2002
More dog whistles than a Petco

Syano posted:

Doing a bit of research on Cisco's site it appears one of the sell up features of the add in IPS sensor for the ISR routers is it has a "complete" IPS signature set. Is it really that much different from the built in IPS on say the 1841?

Yes, and with AIM-IPS you get hardware acceleration. I don't know how much traffic you are pushing so I can't really comment as to what is appropriate. Give presales a call?

jwh
Jun 12, 2002

Syano posted:

I hardly ever hear anything about IPS on ISRs, but allegedly the IPS AIM is functionally similar to the 4200 series sensor, or the ASA's IPS engine.

Richard Noggin posted:

I have a client with a PIX 515 and a T1. Something is sucking up all the bandwidth on the T1, and I'm having trouble figuring out what. I have a trial of Fireplotter that's showing the culprit is source 111.111.111.111. I have no idea what this address is, but it's got active connections to the outside world on multiple ports.
What's routing for the T1? Is there another Cisco device you have access to?

H.R. Paperstacks
May 1, 2006

This is America
My president is black
and my Lambo is blue

Richard Noggin posted:

edit: Looks like Fireplotter displays 111.111.111.111 if it can't find the name. Fuuuuuuck.

Look at your NAT translations for those same ports.

GOOCHY
Sep 17, 2003

In an interstellar burst I'm back to save the universe!

Richard Noggin posted:

I'd get into whatever router is routing for the T1 and do ip-accounting on the relevant interface. "sh ip nat trans" may be helpful as well?

Richard Noggin
Jun 6, 2005
Redneck By Default
The problem was one rogue notebook with some sort of malware - I haven't been able to get my hands on it yet, as the site is about 800 miles away. This is a new site we're in charge of, and I had (have) no Cisco experience whatsoever. I'm getting the hang of it, but have a long, long way to go. Thanks everyone for their help.

Syano
Jul 13, 2005

Tremblay posted:

Yes, and with AIM-IPS you get hardware acceleration. I don't know how much traffic you are pushing so I can't really comment as to what is appropriate. Give presales a call?

Not much traffic at all really. The idea is to come up with a complete firewall solution for this branch in question. There is going to be an ASA 5510 with the CSC-SSM installed. The office already has an 1841 in place and we just didn't know if there was that much of a feature difference to use the add on sensor vs the built in IPS in the IOS.

Richard Noggin
Jun 6, 2005
Redneck By Default
Next question:

A PIX-PIX VPN as such:

192.168.0.0/24 --PIX--INTERNET--PIX--192.168.10.0/24
Each PIX is at .1 in its respective subnet.

How do I permit snmp polling from 192.168.0.10 to 192.168.10.1?

Here's output of sh run on 192.168.10.1:

code:
PIX Version 6.3(3)
interface ethernet0 auto
interface ethernet1 100full
nameif ethernet0 outside security0
nameif ethernet1 inside security100
enable password ***** encrypted
passwd ***** encrypted
hostname pix-cottage
domain-name ***.com
fixup protocol dns maximum-length 512
fixup protocol ftp 21
fixup protocol h323 h225 1720
fixup protocol h323 ras 1718-1719
fixup protocol http 80
fixup protocol pptp 1723
fixup protocol rsh 514
fixup protocol rtsp 554
fixup protocol sip 5060
fixup protocol sip udp 5060
fixup protocol skinny 2000
fixup protocol smtp 25
fixup protocol sqlnet 1521
fixup protocol tftp 69
names
access-list nonat permit ip 192.168.1.0 255.255.255.0 192.168.0.0 255.255.255.0
access-list nonat permit ip 192.168.10.0 255.255.255.0 192.168.0.0 255.255.255.0
access-list nonat permit ip 192.168.1.0 255.255.255.0 192.168.150.0 255.255.255.0
access-list nonat permit ip 192.168.10.0 255.255.255.0 192.168.150.0 255.255.255.0
access-list 101 permit ip 192.168.1.0 255.255.255.0 192.168.0.0 255.255.255.0
access-list 101 permit ip 192.168.10.0 255.255.255.0 192.168.0.0 255.255.255.0
access-list acl_out permit tcp host *.*.*.* host 64.65.198.153 eq 8080
access-list split_tunnel permit ip 192.168.1.0 255.255.255.0 192.168.150.0 255.255.255.0
access-list split_tunnel permit ip 192.168.10.0 255.255.255.0 192.168.150.0 255.255.255.0
pager lines 24
mtu outside 1500
mtu inside 1500
ip address outside *.*.*.* 255.255.255.0
ip address inside 192.168.10.1 255.255.255.0
ip audit info action alarm
ip audit attack action alarm
ip local pool vpnpool 192.168.150.1-192.168.150.254
pdm logging informational 100
pdm history enable
arp timeout 14400
global (outside) 1 interface
nat (inside) 0 access-list nonat
nat (inside) 1 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 0 0
static (inside,outside) tcp *.*.*.* 8080 192.168.10.30 8080 netmask 255.255.255.255 0 0
access-group acl_out in interface outside
route outside 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 64.65.198.1 1
timeout xlate 0:05:00
timeout conn 1:00:00 half-closed 0:10:00 udp 0:02:00 rpc 0:10:00 h225 1:00:00
timeout h323 0:05:00 mgcp 0:05:00 sip 0:30:00 sip_media 0:02:00
timeout uauth 0:05:00 absolute
aaa-server TACACS+ protocol tacacs+
aaa-server RADIUS protocol radius
aaa-server LOCAL protocol local
ntp server 132.236.56.250 source outside
ntp server 128.59.59.127 source outside
http server enable
http 192.168.1.0 255.255.255.0 inside
http 192.168.10.0 255.255.255.0 inside
snmp-server host inside 192.168.0.10 poll
snmp-server location Cottage
snmp-server contact *
snmp-server community public
no snmp-server enable traps
floodguard enable
sysopt connection permit-ipsec
crypto ipsec transform-set standard esp-aes esp-md5-hmac
crypto dynamic-map dynmap 20 set transform-set standard
crypto map cottage-map 20 ipsec-isakmp dynamic dynmap
crypto map cottage-map 30 ipsec-isakmp
crypto map cottage-map 30 match address 101
crypto map cottage-map 30 set peer *.*.*.*
crypto map cottage-map 30 set transform-set standard
crypto map cottage-map client authentication LOCAL
crypto map cottage-map interface outside
isakmp enable outside
isakmp key ******** address *.*.*.* netmask 255.255.255.255
isakmp identity address
isakmp policy 10 authentication pre-share
isakmp policy 10 encryption aes
isakmp policy 10 hash md5
isakmp policy 10 group 2
isakmp policy 10 lifetime 86400
vpngroup vpnadmin address-pool vpnpool
vpngroup vpnadmin dns-server 192.168.0.10
vpngroup vpnadmin wins-server 192.168.0.10
vpngroup vpnadmin default-domain *.lan
vpngroup vpnadmin split-tunnel split_tunnel
vpngroup vpnadmin idle-time 1800
vpngroup vpnadmin password ********
telnet 192.168.1.0 255.255.255.0 inside
telnet 192.168.10.0 255.255.255.0 inside
telnet timeout 5
ssh *.*.*.* 255.255.255.255 outside
ssh *.*.*.* 255.255.255.255 outside
ssh timeout 60
console timeout 0
dhcpd address 192.168.10.2-192.168.10.20 inside
dhcpd dns 192.168.0.10 64.65.196.6
dhcpd lease 3600
dhcpd ping_timeout 750
dhcpd auto_config outside
dhcpd enable inside
terminal width 80
Cryptochecksum:585ddf53b40917a9bba26dfc19e206ea
: end

Richard Noggin fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Jul 30, 2008

plaz
Jul 25, 2006
We have an application server that queries a webserver on our network, with an ASA doing HTTP inspection between them. The configuration has been set up in such a way that in most cases it should only log alerts generated by the inspection, but still allow them to pass:

code:
http-map to_webserver_httpmap
 strict-http action allow log
 content-length min 100 max 2000 action allow log
 content-type-verification match-req-rsp action allow log
 max-header-length request 500 action allow log
 max-uri-length 100 action allow log
 port-misuse default action drop log
 request-method rfc default action allow log
 transfer-encoding type default action allow log
!
policy-map outgoing_verification
 class http_class_to_webserver
  inspect http to_webserver_httpmap
!
class-map http_class_to_webserver
 match access-list INSIDE_access_out
However we're seeing connections being dropped because of the 'strict-http' inspection option:

code:
Jul 28 13:56:01 <firewall> %ASA-4-415014: Maximum of 10 unanswered HTTP request exceeded from <appserver> to <webserver>
Jul 28 13:56:01 <firewall> %ASA-6-302014: Teardown TCP connection 1638664 for INSIDE:<webserver>/80 to OUTSIDE:<appserver>/4335 duration 0:00:21 bytes 38299 Flow closed by inspection
Jul 28 13:56:01 <firewall> %ASA-6-106015: Deny TCP (no connection) from <appserver>/4335 to <webserver>/80 flags PSH ACK  on interface OUTSIDE
This is causing application errors whenever it happens, the frequency depends on how heavily used the application is.

If I remove the 'inspect http to_webserver_httpmap' from outgoing_verification the connections stop being blocked and users no long report problems.

Is there any reason that it'd be dropping connections even though it should just be logging the alert and allowing them through? Furthermore, why does it think the connections aren't being answered? As far as I can tell the webserver is responding to the requests fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pussy Noise
Aug 1, 2003

Is there a way to debug UDP packets so that I can see which VLAN/subinterface they are received on? The router is a 2611XM, IOS 12.3(9a).