Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Grave Centipede
Apr 19, 2007
"But how can I put my lion's head in the lion's mouth? That act is ruined!"

Revener posted:

I can't exactly remember when it was, probably mid-late 90's, but there was this 2d space shooter (top down I think)where it would start with you looking at a computer going "Good morning dave..." and I think it said something about there being something wrong with the computer and you had to go in and fix it and this involved piloting a really cool spaceship. If I remember right there were other kinds of spaceships too.

Inner Space? i love that game it let you shoot all your files on your computer.
http://www.sdispace.com/inspace.htm
I have the demo from a pc demo disc still on my pc :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vallens
Jan 27, 2004

Get back in line you drunken fool!

Kashwashwa posted:

There's this game I remember seeing a trailer for maybe a year ago?

It had a fantasy setting with insanely good graphics, and appeared to be an action style game played in the first person view.

I really dont remember much about it, but I just remember some fighting in the trailer against a really big guy who had some kind of hammer.
I think there were pillars in the area...

So vauge I'm sorry, but if anyone is aware of some sort of fantasy-action/rpg with extremely good graphics maybe you know the name.

Are you thinking of the Argonauts?

Kashwashwa
Jul 11, 2006
You'll do fine no matter what. That's my motto.

Vallens posted:

Are you thinking of the Argonauts?

Well, I looked at the trailers for Argonauts, and it's actually similar, but the gameplay for the game I'm looking for actually looked like the FMV video on the Argonauts website (4th vid), but brighter skies, and textures.

Panic Restaurant
Jul 19, 2006

:retrogames: :3: :retrogames:

Pork Pro

Dracon Wolf posted:

Game for the Sega Genesis -- I seem to remember it taking place in something like an amusement park. It was a platformer and for some reason I THINK you could have clones of yourself that you could use as a weapon...I'm not quite sure. It was very "happy" and the colors I think were pastels (maybe). I loved that game but I completely forget the name of it now...

Haha, I know I answered this for someone earlier in the thread, but the game you're thinking of is Marvel Land.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Kashwashwa posted:

It had a fantasy setting with insanely good graphics, and appeared to be an action style game played in the first person view.

I really dont remember much about it, but I just remember some fighting in the trailer against a really big guy who had some kind of hammer.

So vauge I'm sorry, but if anyone is aware of some sort of fantasy-action/rpg with extremely good graphics maybe you know the name.

This is probably Project Offset.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Grave Centipede posted:

Inner Space? i love that game it let you shoot all your files on your computer.
http://www.sdispace.com/inspace.htm
I have the demo from a pc demo disc still on my pc :)

poo poo, I rebought it just a few months ago. It's kinda a rip-off at $25 for such an old game, but I have so many memories of it that it was worth it. Still decently fun to play, and with the size of hard drives these days, beating it the long way (instead of fighting the Inner Demon) could take months.

Git Mah Belt Son
Apr 26, 2003

Happy Happy Gators

Panic Restaurant posted:

Haha, I know I answered this for someone earlier in the thread, but the game you're thinking of is Marvel Land.

YES!! Thank you so much!!

Yancy_Street
Nov 26, 2007

drunk octopus
wants to fight you
Hmm, maybe you guys can help me out with one. Many years back, I remember playing this arcade game... a left to right beat 'em up with ninjas as the protagonists. Now, that wouldn't be anything special, of course, but I remember one of the playable characters was a large dog. For some reason, this has always stuck out in my memory and MAME hasn't been much help.

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008

Kashwashwa posted:

That sounds like one of the bosses in Painkiller: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qrUaDsY-wOE

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

Asphalt Engine posted:

Hmm, maybe you guys can help me out with one. Many years back, I remember playing this arcade game... a left to right beat 'em up with ninjas as the protagonists. Now, that wouldn't be anything special, of course, but I remember one of the playable characters was a large dog. For some reason, this has always stuck out in my memory and MAME hasn't been much help.

I went to klov.com, ticked "search game descriptions" and typed in "dog ninja" as the search terms. Got three hits but Sengoku seems the most likely.
Never played it though.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Kashwashwa
Jul 11, 2006
You'll do fine no matter what. That's my motto.

GrandpaPants posted:

This is probably Project Offset.

Insane - this is it... I was hoping it was closer to release than it appears to be, but thanks for helping me find this...

Nizzle
Apr 21, 2007
here be nizzle
Boof & SubtleDagger: Yes! That is is!!! OMG! Thank you so much! :-) :-) :-)

FARTSTAR
Jun 28, 2004
I posted this in the schmup thread but it never got a response.

I'm trying to find a gundam clone 2d shooter that someone posted here in a freeware thread a long time ago. You could choose different suits and weapons and you fought against a bunch of green suits/ships and had to kill them all to get to the next mission. I had a ton of fun with it but I dont remember where I got it :(

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
OK, I've got one. A game I used to play with my cousin on his PS1, back about 1998, from a demo disc. You are in a cube that rotates, and you try to kill your opponents.

xezton
Jan 31, 2005

There was this old game for PC I used to play.

All I can remember is it was a first-person shooter, and you played some sort of chinese kung-fu Duke Nukem wanna-be.

At one point in the game, you hear a woman softly humming to herself (LA, la LA, la LA... hmmmmm, hm hm, hmmmm), and if you walk INTO a waterfall, she's inside of it washing, and is naked (arms covering up censored parts).

I don't remember much else than that.

EDIT:
Answered my own question. Didn't make the Duke Nukem corelation until I made this post!

HOLY poo poo.. Shadow Warrior. And no WONDER it was like Duke Nukem... 3d Realms made it.

http://www.3drealms.com/sw/index.html
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hwOYJ2ctPsQ

sorry bout that :)

xezton fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Jul 23, 2008

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

Yoshifan823 posted:

OK, I've got one. A game I used to play with my cousin on his PS1, back about 1998, from a demo disc. You are in a cube that rotates, and you try to kill your opponents.

Blastchamber.

Tasteful Bulge
Sep 5, 2003

It's down to you and me, you one-eyed freak.
I remember seeing a trailer for a game a few years ago. I think it was for PS2. You play a (female?) reporter in the middle of a disaster (I don't remember what kind. Maybe earthquake, maybe zombies) And I think the bulk of the gameplay revolved around taking pictures or camera footage maybe, and possibly saving people. And no, it's not Dead Rising, I have that one.

That's vague as hell, I know, but I was wondering if A) anybody knew what it was called, B) if it ever came out in the US, and C) if it was any good.

Pheener
Jun 7, 2003

Extraordinary!

Tasteful Bulge posted:

I remember seeing a trailer for a game a few years ago. I think it was for PS2. You play a (female?) reporter in the middle of a disaster (I don't remember what kind. Maybe earthquake, maybe zombies) And I think the bulk of the gameplay revolved around taking pictures or camera footage maybe, and possibly saving people. And no, it's not Dead Rising, I have that one.

That's vague as hell, I know, but I was wondering if A) anybody knew what it was called, B) if it ever came out in the US, and C) if it was any good.

Sounds like it could be either Disaster Report (in which the main character is a male), or the later follow-up Raw Danger (which was released in 2007), which has you playing as a multitude of characters.

oddy0bb posted:

I'm trying to find a gundam clone 2d shooter that someone posted here in a freeware thread a long time ago. You could choose different suits and weapons and you fought against a bunch of green suits/ships and had to kill them all to get to the next mission. I had a ton of fun with it but I dont remember where I got it :(

Just to let you know, I know what this is, I just can't remember the title. I've been thinking about it for 2 days now.

Edit: Liberation Army?

Pheener fucked around with this message at 09:43 on Jul 25, 2008

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
Alright folks, here's one that's been bugging me for a while:

This is a PC first-person adventure game. The story to the game is that you're part of an army sent in to invade a bug (big bugs) infested world via a portal/wormhole-thing. You have to wear suits and take drugs (I think) to survive the environment, but it turns out that, once you're knocked out and 'captured', the bugs and blasted landscape were just products of the suit/drugs, and you've been fighting fairly peaceful people all along, because your government wants to invade or something.

I don't remember much about the mechanics, but it was definitely not like other games. I remember that, at certain points, you were given the option of 'emotions' to respond to something, like fire meaning 'angry', and whatnot.

One of the endings had the main commander executing everybody, one by one, in the village you arrive at. Oh, and the game was primarily FMV-based, with the whole digitized actors and all that stuff a-la Phantasmagoria.

edit: Ah, it's Quantum Gate II: The Vortex.

Morpheus fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Jul 25, 2008

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

Morpheus posted:

This is a PC first-person adventure game. The story to the game is that you're part of an army sent in to invade a bug (big bugs) infested world via a portal/wormhole-thing. You have to wear suits and take drugs (I think) to survive the environment, but it turns out that, once you're knocked out and 'captured', the bugs and blasted landscape were just products of the suit/drugs, and you've been fighting fairly peaceful people all along, because your government wants to invade or something.

The scenario definitely sounds like Quantum Gate, but the ending you've described definitely isn't in the original game. Could be the sequel that I could never find, though.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Bieeardo posted:

The scenario definitely sounds like Quantum Gate, but the ending you've described definitely isn't in the original game. Could be the sequel that I could never find, though.

Yeah, it's definitely the sequel. At the beginning of the game, you get a crapload of cutscenes that don't seem to make sense, but they must've been from the original Quantum Gate. In the sequel, you start out just as the mask gets taken off.

Tasteful Bulge
Sep 5, 2003

It's down to you and me, you one-eyed freak.

Pheener posted:

Sounds like it could be either Disaster Report (in which the main character is a male), or the later follow-up Raw Danger (which was released in 2007), which has you playing as a multitude of characters.

That just might be it. I'll see if I can find it later.

Booga
Aug 20, 2007

There was a game for the genesis that was basically Streets of Rage but with guns and aliens. All I clearly remember was one alien that would come out of garbage cans and a 2D FPS mode used mainly to give you powerups. Thanks if anybody can help me out.

Joans
Sep 14, 2004

Auriga posted:

There was a game for the genesis that was basically Streets of Rage but with guns and aliens. All I clearly remember was one alien that would come out of garbage cans and a 2D FPS mode used mainly to give you powerups. Thanks if anybody can help me out.

Alien Storm?

Booga
Aug 20, 2007

Yeah, that's it. Thanks.

Delvio
Sep 14, 2007
There was an old BBS post-nuclear war RPG that I used to play, I remember it had razor lances and electro lances that required batteries, and there was a teleporter system that used a shape code for addresses. Any guesses?

Swabbleflange
Apr 18, 2008

Tasteful Bulge posted:

I think this is Michigan: Report From Hell. From what I heard it wasn't too bad. I tried to play it but the ol' motion sickness set in. Looks like it didn't get a US release, a budget label picked it up for Europe.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
This is a Japanese game, likely an action-rpg, and likely one of those freeware PC games meant to look retro, like La-Mulana. Your character is a girl, and the visual style is very reminiscent of Earthbound.

I saw a youtube video which involved the player repetitively going into a room, turning the light off, and leaving. After about the ten millionth time doing this, when the light is turned off, this other girl in the room turns into this strange shape that looks like a misshapen ghost face and scary music starts playing. The player character starts crying, and this thing slowly chases her around the room (moving one floor tile at a time) until it catches her, and transports her to some strange nightmare world where the ground is white and I think the sky has red streaks. The player then wanders back and forth aimlessly, goes into a menu entirely in Japanese, selects some things, and eventually teleports someplace else.

Edit: I think this was mentioned here or somewhere else in a thread about scary games.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Rollersnake posted:

This is a Japanese game, likely an action-rpg, and likely one of those freeware PC games meant to look retro, like La-Mulana. Your character is a girl, and the visual style is very reminiscent of Earthbound.

I saw a youtube video which involved the player repetitively going into a room, turning the light off, and leaving. After about the ten millionth time doing this, when the light is turned off, this other girl in the room turns into this strange shape that looks like a misshapen ghost face and scary music starts playing. The player character starts crying, and this thing slowly chases her around the room (moving one floor tile at a time) until it catches her, and transports her to some strange nightmare world where the ground is white and I think the sky has red streaks. The player then wanders back and forth aimlessly, goes into a menu entirely in Japanese, selects some things, and eventually teleports someplace else.

Edit: I think this was mentioned here or somewhere else in a thread about scary games.

Oh gently caress I know EXACTLY what you are talking about what is the NAME of that

edit: it starts with an e

Weedle fucked around with this message at 08:14 on Jul 30, 2008

Blast of Confetti
Apr 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
This game isn't released yet. It's about some demi-god or full fledged god in a major city who lost his powers. Over the course of the game he gets his powers back and eventually you're able to make holes in concrete from jumping. He has a hoodie and a kind of scratchy voice. Sorry I can't give more info but that's all I remember about it except it looks pretty awesome

Ganty
Jan 8, 2005
Because we want to! Because we want to!

Rock Tumbler posted:

Oh gently caress I know EXACTLY what you are talking about what is the NAME of that

edit: it starts with an e

Wow I really want to play this now for some reason.

ropa
Sep 7, 2006
Sega Genesis game. Plataformer.Youwere a kid with a football and you kicked it to kill enemies. It was hard as hell. First level was a city, with birds and cops(?).

And I know there's a clone of this game that is very well known. But I'm talking of the game with the BLONDE KID. Not the brunette.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben

ropa posted:

Sega Genesis game. Plataformer.Youwere a kid with a football and you kicked it to kill enemies. It was hard as hell. First level was a city, with birds and cops(?).

And I know there's a clone of this game that is very well known. But I'm talking of the game with the BLONDE KID. Not the brunette.

Marko's Magic Football?

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Ganty posted:

Wow I really want to play this now for some reason.

ME TOO :byodood:

I know there is a video on Youtube of this game, why can I not find it

Weedle fucked around with this message at 11:22 on Jul 30, 2008

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost

Girdox posted:

This game isn't released yet. It's about some demi-god or full fledged god in a major city who lost his powers. Over the course of the game he gets his powers back and eventually you're able to make holes in concrete from jumping. He has a hoodie and a kind of scratchy voice. Sorry I can't give more info but that's all I remember about it except it looks pretty awesome

Is it Prototype? You're not a god but some kind of crazy super mutant.

I'm thinking of a SNES game, all I can remember about it was that it was pirate/buccaneer themed and it was a platformer. For some reason I think it starts with a "G" but I have no basis for that.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben

Rollersnake posted:

Found it myself— it's called Yume Nikki. Thank you, TV Tropes!

I can't say I'm enjoying it that much—there's way too much aimless wandering around. But the atmosphere is fantastic, kind of like a 2D version of LSD.

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!

quote:

Many years back, I remember playing this arcade game... a left to right beat 'em up with ninjas as the protagonists. Now, that wouldn't be anything special, of course, but I remember one of the playable characters was a large dog. For some reason, this has always stuck out in my memory and MAME hasn't been much help.

I am fairly sure this is a game called Shadow Dancer, and is one of the many sequels to Shinobi.

Project1
Dec 30, 2003

it's time
This is a game I played a demo of, so I can't say with certainty that it was ever released.

Anyway, it was a turn-based strategy, from about the mid-90s, I'd say. You did the usual things, recruiting troops and so forth, and each turn took 30 days. Your armies had their food supplies, and you could forage for food. Foraging in a city was the quickest way to get food, but this reduced the food stocks for the city. Otherwise, you could get food slower for free in the wilderness.

You could also hold tournaments of varying kinds which made different troop types available for the duration of the tournament. There were different types, for example a magic tournament would make wizards and so forth available, while other tournament focuses provided different troop types.

There may have been different races available, but I'm not sure about that.

BethelBAR
Apr 17, 2008

by Cowcaster
Okay, very impressive stuff so far, this should be a challenge from my horrible description.

It was a mystery/ puzzle PC demo in the mid to late 90's, first person set in a house, the level had no other people but what sticks in my mind is that you could turn everything on and off, lights microwave etc. Then you open the front door and its raining and you need to find an umbrella?

I don't think I was having a flu related hallucination, I'd definately like to find out what the hell I was playing. Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ropa
Sep 7, 2006

Rollersnake posted:

Marko's Magic Football?

I love you so much

• Locked thread