Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
warheadr
Jul 6, 2005
Ah, that makes much more sense, thanks. I didn't realize there were separate apps between jailbroken and non-jailbroken. Either way, I'm lovin this thing, definitely a huge upgrade over my old iPod.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
looks like the pwnage tool is out
http://blog.iphone-dev.org/post/42858313/thanks-for-waiting
attempting a jailbreak now, I'll post results when it's done.

SousaphoneColossus
Feb 16, 2004

There are a million reasons to ruin things.
Now that the Jailbreak tool for 2.0 is out, I'd like to ask something that's never been clear to me. I'm currently on a 1.1.4 Jailbroken Touch. If I update to 2.0 now, what exactly happens before I re-jailbreak? Is all data deleted/restored to factory settings, or just the Jailbreak-related apps/data?

Also, can anyone who's already done the upgrade/Jailbreak confirm if the following apps are still available?
-ShopList
-PocketMoney
-iStudy
-weDict

Zeliums
Oct 29, 2007
Host: [IP]
Port: 22
User: root
Pass: alpine

I'm trying to connect to my itouch firmware 1.1.4 via WinSCP but it keeps rejecting my connection. Is the user and pass always the same? I bought it used from another person and maybe he changed the user/pass to get in?

CanuckBassist
Mar 20, 2007

UnclePlasticBitch posted:

If I update to 2.0 now, what exactly happens before I re-jailbreak? Is all data deleted/restored to factory settings, or just the Jailbreak-related apps/data?

I think that might depend on the jailbreaking program. With Ziphone and jailbreaking 1.1.4, you are supposed to restore to 1.1.4 default before you run Ziphone.

1karus
Jan 29, 2006

The Fun Machine
Took a Shit and Died
I recall early reports of that tool in use caused people's devices to brick, however, that was from a unreleased beta that got leaked I believe.

These are some of the apps that are being ported:

Cydia
NES
MobileTerminal
Banner
Make It Mine
Vista
XLaunch
Customize (SMB merging with Customize)
Kate
Installer
PocketTouch
MxTube
gpSPhone
quake4iphone

Alucard
Mar 11, 2002
Pillbug
Any chance the OP could be updated / us have a new thread now that the 2.0 firmware is available?

Also, is there a thread anywhere dedicated to showing your touch wallpapers?

gay skull
Oct 24, 2004

Zeliums posted:

Host: [IP]
Port: 22
User: root
Pass: alpine

I'm trying to connect to my itouch firmware 1.1.4 via WinSCP but it keeps rejecting my connection. Is the user and pass always the same? I bought it used from another person and maybe he changed the user/pass to get in?

If all else fails, you can always restore the firmware and re-jailbreak it to reset your un/pw.

aggybong
Sep 25, 2003
goob
I upgraded to 2.0 but now I'm running into space issues when I install new applications, and the tool I used to use (one of BigBoss') is no longer available for 2.0.

Any suggestions?

1karus
Jan 29, 2006

The Fun Machine
Took a Shit and Died
You're just going to have to wait until Big Boss re-writes his programs for 2.0, or look around on other forums to see if a solution or similar program has been found.

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"

aggybong posted:

I upgraded to 2.0 but now I'm running into space issues when I install new applications, and the tool I used to use (one of BigBoss') is no longer available for 2.0.

Any suggestions?

You can make a symbolic link in WinSCP while SFTPing into your phone that'll redirect installations to the correct partition. There's a guide somewhere, on modmyifone.com I think. I'd share it but my touch isn't re-jailbroken yet and I can't check what I did.

spacey
Jul 9, 2001

copperwound
there are no dogs

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

It's unclear whether you'll be able to find jailbroken versions of the apps on the App store, or whether you can install and run official apps along with jailbreak apps (I'm going to guess the latter won't be possible).

It's my understanding that this is precisely the reason they developed the pwnage 2.0.1 tool, so that you could use app store apps and jailbreak apps.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

spacey posted:

It's my understanding that this is precisely the reason they developed the pwnage 2.0.1 tool, so that you could use app store apps and jailbreak apps.

Well, that certainly would be the best of both worlds; here's to hoping that's the case.

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003
So there i was trying to make a new build for my wow-character when it occured to me that i have no idea aboit how i can right-click in the browser. Looking on google lead me to some Yahoo-answer saying that you can't, but is that really true?

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Crowley posted:

So there i was trying to make a new build for my wow-character when it occured to me that i have no idea aboit how i can right-click in the browser. Looking on google lead me to some Yahoo-answer saying that you can't, but is that really true?

Yes, it's really true.

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003
crap!

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Crowley posted:

crap!

It honestly hasn't been a loss to me, I can't think of one situation where I've missed it.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

kevdude posted:

It honestly hasn't been a loss to me, I can't think of one situation where I've missed it.

There have been a few times that I wished I had more control over whether a link opens in the same window or a new one, but it hasn't been a big deal.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

I might be getting a touch from my Cousin. I read through the OP but one thing i never saw addressed is this: Can I download mp3 files without using the itunes store and the touch automatically put them to use?

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

So is Summerboard working on the new Jailbreak? I have to say that Summerboard themes and wallpapers are the one thing I honestly miss the most on my 2.0 Touch.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

Randi Challenger posted:

I might be getting a touch from my Cousin. I read through the OP but one thing i never saw addressed is this: Can I download mp3 files without using the itunes store and the touch automatically put them to use?
So long as you whack the existing mp3 file into iTunes (the application, not the store) using your computer, it'll be fine.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Anyone happen to know of a small attachment (i.e. something that while attached would still let you fit the combo in a pocket) that you can connect to your Touch to give it external sound, or how one could be made? Doesn't have to be great sound, but nothing with wires or external power.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

Vyze posted:

So long as you whack the existing mp3 file into iTunes (the application, not the store) using your computer, it'll be fine.

Thats depressing. I was hoping that I could really bypass iTunes all together. I haven't had it installed in a while because I've been using Rockbox on my 80GB video. Any good alternatives to iTunes that will work with the Touch?

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Good alternatives? There are no alternatives, unless something has come out in the last week or two.

Bohemian Stairbird
Aug 10, 2007

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

Anyone happen to know of a small attachment (i.e. something that while attached would still let you fit the combo in a pocket) that you can connect to your Touch to give it external sound, or how one could be made? Doesn't have to be great sound, but nothing with wires or external power.

Well, there's this, but I don't know if you'd be able to fit it in your pocket. Also it's only in South Korea right now (I think).

ZoDiAC_
Jun 23, 2003

Randi Challenger posted:

Thats depressing. I was hoping that I could really bypass iTunes all together. I haven't had it installed in a while because I've been using Rockbox on my 80GB video. Any good alternatives to iTunes that will work with the Touch?

You can get iSlsk which is Soulseek for the touch - it loses your mp3s as soon as you sync with Itunes, but if you don't do that - no problem :)

Krang
Nov 19, 2002
WinPwn 2.0 is out.

I used it this morning and it worked just fine after I upgraded XP to SP3. The WinPwn site links to a couple tutorials.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Krang posted:

WinPwn 2.0 is out.

I used it this morning and it worked just fine after I upgraded XP to SP3. The WinPwn site links to a couple tutorials.

The big question: can you still use App store apps?

dirigible stew
Feb 18, 2006

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

The big question: can you still use App store apps?
I've had a jailbroken 2.0 for a couple days now and all app store apps work fine for me.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Anyone tried restoring the original firmware after jailbreaking it?

SousaphoneColossus
Feb 16, 2004

There are a million reasons to ruin things.

Toiletbrush posted:

Anyone tried restoring the original firmware after jailbreaking it?
I'm not sure if this is what you're asking about, but I went from jailbroken 1.1.4 to regular 2.0, and it was completely fine apart from losing my Jailbreak apps and related data. Just make sure you backup and sync before you do the restore and you should be fine.

look who it isnt
Jul 6, 2008
has anyone encountered the "ipod cannot be restored" (error 6) unknown error when updating from 1.5 to 2.0? i can restore to 1.5 on my PC as often as i want but i've got 2.0 downloaded on my macbook and it gives me that error every time i try to update. i've redownloaded 2.0 a couple times.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

dirigible stew posted:

I've had a jailbroken 2.0 for a couple days now and all app store apps work fine for me.

Good to hear, made me jailbreak mine. A couple of things if anyone's thinking about it:

1) I would recommend starting with the firmware you downloaded from Apple (mine was in c:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Application Data\Apple Computers\iTunes\iPod Software Updates in XP) rather than the versions that have been floating around on the net. The ones I found on the net seem to be different, and specific to an iPhone (when I used the one I got from Apple, there was no "Advanced" tab in WinPwn, nothing about activating your phone or baseband stuff).

2) Installer is gone, the Cydia (the 'new' installer) library is extremely minimal, and there currently seems to be no way to add other sources. Doesn't seem like you'll miss much if you wait a while to jailbreak.

Fawkes
Apr 6, 2004

Am I the only one that's got hit with a podcast bug in the official 2.0 update?

No matter what I set my iPod Touch's podcast settings to, the iPod itself keeps copies of all podcasts, new and old.

For example, I want, like it's always been, for the iPod to only store the newest, unplayed podcasts. My iTunes, however, decides that the iPod should have every podcast I have on my hard-drive, no matter its age or playcount.

Even if I tell iTunes to sync zero podcasts, it still goes ahead and syncs all of them.

Any ideas?

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

UnclePlasticBitch posted:

I'm not sure if this is what you're asking about, but I went from jailbroken 1.1.4 to regular 2.0, and it was completely fine apart from losing my Jailbreak apps and related data. Just make sure you backup and sync before you do the restore and you should be fine.
I mean from jailbroken 2.0 to original 2.0. Asking whether this causes problems for when 2.1 comes.

YancyDCjew
Feb 28, 2002

My name's Spagett, I do parties, and you just take my card, and if you need someone to spook ya-

look who it isnt posted:

has anyone encountered the "ipod cannot be restored" (error 6) unknown error when updating from 1.5 to 2.0? i can restore to 1.5 on my PC as often as i want but i've got 2.0 downloaded on my macbook and it gives me that error every time i try to update. i've redownloaded 2.0 a couple times.

Yep, and it drove me loving nuts. My solution? I went to someone else's house who I knew had updated to 2.0 without trouble, and it worked on their computer. The error 6 bug has been around for quite a while, it seems.

bobula
Jul 3, 2007
a guy hello
Has anyone had any issues with songs not wanting to play on their touches? I have a couple of albums (including my favorite Prefab Sprout one :'() that just won't play. It syncs fine and all that but when I select a song from it to play it goes to the playing screen and then just sits there. If I push pause it'll go to pause but if I push play after that it is just stuck at pause. I can skip around in the song but it won't play at all and I can go to the next one or previous one okay. It doesn't lock up or anything, it just gets stuck on pause if I pause it once and doesn't play or move the timebar if it's on play.

dc3k
Feb 18, 2003

what.

Toiletbrush posted:

I mean from jailbroken 2.0 to original 2.0. Asking whether this causes problems for when 2.1 comes.

Interested in this too. I want to get 2.0 when my touch arrives, and I also want to jailbreak. I don't want to be stuck with 2.0 forever though.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
I haven't tried it, but I don't see how it could be a problem. A restore is "starting from scratch", and I've never heard any reports of anyone bricking a Touch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spacey
Jul 9, 2001

copperwound
there are no dogs
All I keep seeing for WinPwn 2.0.3 is iPhone. It does work for the touch as well, right?

• Locked thread