Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

Phat_Albert posted:

Hey, at least one of those miles is mine.

One for you and 546 for the previous owner, but hey, who's counting :xd:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bung
Dec 14, 2004

British Military safety ad

mutt2jeff
Oct 2, 2004
The one, the only....
Target fixation bad, busted this guy up pretty good.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SHsPIOiEsJM

mutt2jeff fucked around with this message at 07:58 on Jul 26, 2008

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
front cartwheel on a straight road with no impact? that guy has skills.
although i don't see what's so bad about it considering he was wearing gear and he didnt run into anything. just needs a new (more powerful so he can pass trucks faster) bike.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

mutt2jeff posted:

The noises he made just shouldn't be heard. :(

TheFonz
Aug 3, 2002

<3

mutt2jeff posted:

Looking at the surface they were on, I actually doubt he could have swerved. It looks like really loose sand. He still hosed up and fixated, but I don't think swerving would have kept him shiny side up. He probably would have been hurt less.

bung
Dec 14, 2004

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK!

I lifted the bike off of the sidestand and flipped it up. I then realized that I had a flat rear tire. I forgot to flip the sidestand back down before leaning the bike back over. The Sprint ST is a heavy motherfucker!

Zenaida
Nov 13, 2004
Did anything break? You seem to have two sets of frame sliders on there...

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

blugu64 posted:

The noises he made just shouldn't be heard. :(

Sounds bad, but it sounds like the wind just got knocked out of him.

bung
Dec 14, 2004

Zenaida posted:

Did anything break? You seem to have two sets of frame sliders on there...

The bolt holding the front slider bent so it had to be replaced. The slider and the aluminum sleeve inside also bent but I reused them. The chrome trim piece above the slider was broken by the slider. It was a $40 fix, $35 for the trim piece and $5 for the small parts. The bottom left fairing got a bit scuffed and the frame above the shifter got scratched from the shifter flexing into it. Amazingly the shifter did not break or bend. I also pulled a 1.75" piece of steel out of the rear tire. I plugged it but this may push me to buy a set of Pilot Roads.

mutt2jeff
Oct 2, 2004
The one, the only....
Says on the page broken shoulder, ribs and toes. If he hadn't fixated, he could have just stayed on the trail and missed the whole thing.

mutt2jeff
Oct 2, 2004
The one, the only....
Pro Moto barrel racing today. http://www.vimeo.com/1414335

And Poll Bending. http://www.vimeo.com/1414472

darknrgy
Jul 26, 2003

...wait come back

bung posted:

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK!

I lifted the bike off of the sidestand and flipped it up. I then realized that I had a flat rear tire. I forgot to flip the sidestand back down before leaning the bike back over. The Sprint ST is a heavy motherfucker!

Oh poo poo I did almost the exact same thing today. Was a little woozy from pain meds from getting my wisdom teeth out. Lost my balance for half a second while getting it up on the center stand... managed to soften the blow but not stop it. Damaged the shift lever. Bike was much easier to get back on it's feet than I thought. 93 ninja. I felt like an idiot, but at least nothing major happened.

Zenaida
Nov 13, 2004

mutt2jeff posted:

Pro Moto barrel racing today. http://www.vimeo.com/1414335

And Poll Bending. http://www.vimeo.com/1414472

Neat, so did you win? Is there a moto rodeo queen? Did you attach a cowboy hat brim to your helmet?

mutt2jeff
Oct 2, 2004
The one, the only....
Yes, I won, but not by as much as I usually do. I won two of the seven events, and placed rather well in the rest, allowing me to take overall. No rodeo queen, but I should suggest it. You get glass trophies for 1st-3rd, and a nice custom silver belt buckle for overall.

Zenaida
Nov 13, 2004
Cool, sounds like a great time. What other bikes were competing? 950 Adventure seems heavy for that sort of thing, but then, I know nothing of dirt riding.

mutt2jeff
Oct 2, 2004
The one, the only....
Its all big bikes, nothing under 750 cc, which makes the 950 just about right. This weekend we had a couple custom choppers, panheads and shovelheads, a goldwing, buell xb, ducati, couple victories. Vast majority of the bikes are typically harleys, given the rally's that the rodeos are held at.

Zenaida
Nov 13, 2004
Do you have any more pictures/video? You should make a thread so we can stop derailing this one.

Bird-o-matic
Apr 19, 2007

its u, your the one, the rill dill
i look into ur eyes and i see

:ccb:
Winter track day report!

Doing track days in winter is ridiculous. I'm surprised I made it to the track at all - it was a 5 hour ride to the track at night, in the rain, with icy roads.

The track day itself was dry but cold, and the track didn't really warm up much during the day. We had a crash in just about every session, including a beautiful 1098R. :smith:
The scariest crash of the day went to a husband and wife rider/pillion team. Nobody got hurt, but they were drat lucky.

I was surprised at the turnout - over a hundred people showed up to the Taupo circuit, coming from all over the island. It really is a wonderful track... but I'm waiting for spring before I go back.

ail
Jul 8, 2003

by The Finn
please don't crash that beautiful bike :(

Anuv
Apr 4, 2008

by Fragmaster
http://www.break.com/index/indoor-motorcycle-wheelie-goes-bad.html

Stoic Commie
Aug 29, 2005

by XyloJW

In the related videos, didn't see this posted recently:

http://www.break.com/index/awesome-compilation-of-racing-crashes.html

There are some pretty :psyduck: bike crashes in there.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

Some times you've just gotta wonder what people were thinking.

Anuv
Apr 4, 2008

by Fragmaster

blugu64 posted:

Some times you've just gotta wonder what people were thinking.

Or what they weren't.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

This isnt worth its own thread, and there are no pics, so I'll turn this into the "Cycle pictures, videos and stories" thread for a minute.

There is no worse luck than this: http://forums.banditalley.net/index.php?topic=11146.0

GI Joe jobs
Jun 25, 2005

🎅🤜🤛👷

Stoic Commie posted:

In the related videos, didn't see this posted recently:

http://www.break.com/index/awesome-compilation-of-racing-crashes.html

There are some pretty :psyduck: bike crashes in there.

The bike crash at 1:00 happened so fast, and so violent.

At 2:50 that was just frightening how he slid along the ground all limp and stuff. I wonder if he made it, he slammed down hard.

Stoic Commie
Aug 29, 2005

by XyloJW

You no how we do.

Stoic Commie fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Jul 29, 2008

darknrgy
Jul 26, 2003

...wait come back
did we already post this one?

For a while this kept popping up every time I'd search for suzuki bikes.

Unreal Fantasy
Oct 18, 2004

Zenaida posted:

You mean you've never seen Throw a Kit?

I already did :( and ill say that they get up to 60mph with tuning and a kit.

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

here's a goat on a pig or something
Can the pedals actually move the bike or do they just start the engine? If the latter, what's the advantage over a kick start?

wzm
Dec 12, 2004

buildmyrigdotcom posted:

Can the pedals actually move the bike or do they just start the engine? If the latter, what's the advantage over a kick start?

The pedals move the bike, and then you pull a lever that engages the engine. The pedals are used to get the bike up to speed, and then you "bump start" it. Some people pull the pedals, mount pegs, and then either bump start the bike normally, or put the bike on it's center stand, and start it by pulling the wheel with your hand. Mopeds are really easy to start.

Revenant.Eagle
Oct 4, 2005

I know you think you thought you knew what you thought I said, but I'm not sure you understood what you thought I meant.
I was in a pretty nasty wreck on Saturday night while riding motards with a buddy. I don't remember much, but from what my buddy told me I highsided and landed pretty hard on my head:

and then on my shoulder:

and somewhere along the line I decided to punch the ground:

(note the carbon knuckle completely collapsed, both gloves were like that)

Damage report:

* Mild concussion
* Lots of sore muscles and sore neck
* Small patch of rash on my knee

And on the bike:
* Ground down handguard
* Broken lever

So yeah, wear your gear when you ride.

FunkyJunk
Jul 14, 2004

Revenant.Eagle posted:

And on the bike:
* Ground down handguard
* Broken lever

You highsided and only damaged a handguard and a lever? Lucky!

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

FunkyJunk posted:

Dirtbikes are like that

Revenant.Eagle
Oct 4, 2005

I know you think you thought you knew what you thought I said, but I'm not sure you understood what you thought I meant.

FunkyJunk posted:

Yeah, but I managed to toast an essentially brand new helmet and gave myself a concussion ;)

I had a feeling the supermoto would get the best of me.

eggyolk
Nov 8, 2007

What kind of pants were you wearing that caused your knee to get rashed up?

Revenant.Eagle
Oct 4, 2005

eggyolk posted:

What kind of pants were you wearing that caused your knee to get rashed up?

Just regular denim jeans. The jeans only have a hole in them the size of the top of a pencil eraser, and the spot on my knee is the size of a quarter to half dollar, so I'm guessing it was an abrasion from the inside of the jeans.

Kyon
Dec 19, 2006

brap
Since I haven't managed to kill myself yet - here are some pictures of my CBR250RR.

The combination of drab surroundings, lovely Sydney weather and the iPhone camera really make my bike look a lot shinier :D

Managed to do my first U-Turn (that wasn't 15m wide) shortly before I took those photos, and I'm still getting a feel for the friction point. It's been cold and raining for the past 2 weeks, so I haven't ridden that much :(

Kyon fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Jul 30, 2008

WTFBEES
Apr 21, 2005

butt

Revenant.Eagle posted:

And on the bike:
* Ground down handguard
* Broken lever

Not to make light of your situation (glad to hear you're ok), but drat I love motards. What most likely would have been hundreds if not thousands of dollars in broken plastic and mangled suspension on a sport bike will instead cost you about $20 to fix.

Hell, if you would have had Probends, you could just replace the plastic slider on the end. Not that that's what they're meant for anyways.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stoic Commie
Aug 29, 2005

by XyloJW

Kyon posted:

Since I haven't managed to kill myself yet - here are some pictures of my CBR250RR.

The combination of drab surroundings, lovely Sydney weather and the iPhone camera really make my bike look a lot shinier :D

Managed to do my first U-Turn (that wasn't 15m wide) shortly before I took those photos, and I'm still getting a feel for the friction point. It's been cold and raining for the past 2 weeks, so I haven't ridden that much :(

I had no idea Honda made a CBR in 250. And it's fuel injected!

I understand they stopped making them in '99. I'd still much rather have an older CBR250 than an 08 Ninja.

Are they hard to find?