Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

flummox
Jul 17, 2004
I want a shoehorn, the kind with teeth.

Cynicide posted:

I went from thinking about buying a wah wah pedal to buying a Vox AC15CC1

I'd been thinking about getting my first tube amp for a while but I couldn't decide on an amp. When I heard this clean I fell in love with it.

You're going to love it. Be sure to give the speaker a little time to break in - they sound stiff and woody at first. That means lots and lots of high-volume playing for the first few weeks.:)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

isotope4
Jul 8, 2005

Better living through chemistry
I am a singer-songwriter and am considering buying a loop station like the Boss RC-20XL. The only reason I hesitate is that I just bought a Taylor Acoustic/Electric and don't want to waste the XLR output capability, as it sounds oh so divine plugged right into the mixer. Is there any way to maintain the sweet Expression system tone and still do the loop thing?

Steiler Drep
Nov 30, 2004
what?

isotope4 posted:

I am a singer-songwriter and am considering buying a loop station like the Boss RC-20XL. The only reason I hesitate is that I just bought a Taylor Acoustic/Electric and don't want to waste the XLR output capability, as it sounds oh so divine plugged right into the mixer. Is there any way to maintain the sweet Expression system tone and still do the loop thing?

Connect it to the mixer and use the effects loop on that channel from the mixer? Don't know if all of them have it, but mine does.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 10 days!

bisticles posted:

Fuuuuck that's nice. You're going to enjoy the hell out of that.

drat right I am! Between this and my new Ibby I think I'll be set for a little while gear wise.

Hamer777 posted:

Oh wow please tell him to sell me his Framus head. I wish they weren't so expensive :( anyway, my next entry coming in a couple seconds brought to you by GAS

I think the reason hes selling the Powerball is because of the Framus :v:

Hamer777
Jan 23, 2006

Concatenation posted:

Sup :c00l:
I'm pretty stoked about Ibanez changing the 2008 model bridges, mine was a steal too.

Also, a word of warning if you decide to change the pickup, it's in a ridiculously shallow slot so it likely won't fit anything larger than the TB-10 in there already (as I found out when I went to put an EMG-81 in there :cry: )

:c00l:

That wont be a problem the TB-10 is perfect for me. And why would you want to put an EMG in ther?e I don't know, maybe I just got a bad set but the EMGs in my Eclipse sound terrible and I'm not just running on a low battery.

Hamer777 fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Jul 29, 2008

Kin Corn Karn
Mar 9, 2008

I've been looking for a lightweight, single coil guitar to contrast my les paul. I'm set on getting a squier classic vibe telecaster:

the response on tdpri.com tele forums has been pretty amazing.

http://www.tdpri.com/forum/telecaster-discussion-forum/108828-new-squier-classic-vibe-50s-telecaster-8.html

resonant pine body, vintage style bridge and brass saddles, gold spaghetti logo, beautiful tinted glossy flamed neck. priced right.

TommyRotten
May 23, 2004
Title text (optional; no images are allowed, only text)

The Fog posted:

I want one of those! How much did you pay for that?
I agree that VSTs are a bit crappy, but there's some really good ones out there, like Sylenth1. Zebra2 as you mentioned is very phat as well. Another popular one in the dance scene is V-station and Z3ta+.
While technically rather a ROMpler than a synth, have you tried Nexus?
Also, has anyone ever noticed that the name Nexus sounds a bit like NEXt virUS? Do you reckon that was on purpose?

The going rate for these on ebay is between 1600-1800 depending on condition for a used one. I paid $1700 for it.

I have not tried nexus, but I have tried half a dozen others. Some of them sound pretty decent. Most of my gripes have to do more with workflow and usability. Plus, Virus keyboards seem to be in a league of their own.

If you are looking for the sound at a cheaper price, you might want to consider getting a Virus Snow (basically half the polyphony and parts with less nobs). The cheapest I've seen them is for $1250 at samash.com. Not bad considering it sounds just like its big brother and can play patches from their entire line of synths.

accident sorry :(
Dec 11, 2002
I'm stupid*
I've been looking into buying an acoustic guitar for a little while now. I've finally decided on a Larrivee L-03:

Click here for the full 285x640 image.

Concatenation
Jul 23, 2005

Your human mentality cries out for vengeance and thrives on the violence you say you can hardly endure.

Hamer777 posted:

:c00l:

That wont be a problem the TB-10 is perfect for me. And why would you want to put an EMG in ther?e I don't know, maybe I just got a bad set but the EMGs in my Eclipse sound terrible and I'm not just running on a low battery.

Yeah EMGs aren't really my preferred choice of pickup, but I like the way actives feel when you play high-gain stuff, and I had a spare one sitting around.

Thieretical
Jul 18, 2007

Kin Corn Karn posted:

I've been looking for a lightweight, single coil guitar to contrast my les paul. I'm set on getting a squier classic vibe telecaster:

the response on tdpri.com tele forums has been pretty amazing.

http://www.tdpri.com/forum/telecaster-discussion-forum/108828-new-squier-classic-vibe-50s-telecaster-8.html

resonant pine body, vintage style bridge and brass saddles, gold spaghetti logo, beautiful tinted glossy flamed neck. priced right.

Whoa whoa whoa, hold it sucka... where did this guitar come from? Thanks for turning me on to this, it looks incredible. I'm thinking of selling my Les Paul Studio and getting a tele/strat of some sort. I was leaning towards an Edwards relic'ed strat, but I could save all that customs/shipping money and get a nice workhorse like this. The reviews all over that hardcore tele forum are stellar. Never played a tele, I think I'll demo it in store soon.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

ogopogo posted:

Close up of the devi ever:

I might have to buy that out of principle.

DMCrimson
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
I have entered the realm of the seven string guitar by buying an Agile Septor 727 off of the sevenstring.org forums. The Pick-ups are lifted from a MusicMan JP7 and the tuners are replaced with Schaller Mini Locking tuners.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 10 days!

King Crimson posted:

I have entered the realm of the seven string guitar by buying an Agile Septor 727 off of the sevenstring.org forums. The Pick-ups are lifted from a MusicMan JP7 and the tuners are replaced with Schaller Mini Locking tuners.

Ooh, how is it? I'm going to be buying one of the Agile 8s when they enter their second run and I'm interested in how the other Agile extended range guitars are.

Los Padre
Mar 26, 2007

Los Padre is an interesting and sensitive fellow.

Kin Corn Karn posted:

Anybody tried honky tonk guitar on a pine body here? I'm highly intrigued by this. What does tdpri say about pine's twang? Finally, gc Cincinnati doesn't have it, nor a date when they will...

Edit: What's the real difference between the od2 and OCD? Never tried the latter. Demos on Fulltone sound like a slightly less clean-cut distortion.

Los Padre fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Jul 30, 2008

DMCrimson
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

Stux posted:

Ooh, how is it? I'm going to be buying one of the Agile 8s when they enter their second run and I'm interested in how the other Agile extended range guitars are.

I don't know yet, I'm playing the waiting game at this point until it shows up in my mailbox. That photo is one of a about two dozen the seller gave to me. I'll post about it once it arrives.

Kin Corn Karn
Mar 9, 2008

Thieretical posted:

Whoa whoa whoa, hold it sucka... where did this guitar come from? Thanks for turning me on to this, it looks incredible. I'm thinking of selling my Les Paul Studio and getting a tele/strat of some sort. I was leaning towards an Edwards relic'ed strat, but I could save all that customs/shipping money and get a nice workhorse like this. The reviews all over that hardcore tele forum are stellar. Never played a tele, I think I'll demo it in store soon.

I stopped by local Sam Ash and Guitar Center yesterday, but neither had them, neither have hardly any Squiers. I think that i'll have to order it online. Normally I don't buy a guitar that I cant play first, but I'm going to make an exception on this one.

I'll probably get it from musicians friend:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Squier-CLASSIC-VIBE-Telecaster-50s-Electric-Guitar-?sku=519376

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Because all fucking hell is going to break loose

Just got my new Les Paul Faded in Honeyburst. I've wanted one since I first saw one a few years ago. This guitar loving smokes! The satin finish is slick as gently caress, and the burstbuckers howl. Not to mention it looks amazing. I got a KILLER deal on this guitar from EM guitars in Wichita. I was nervous about ordering over the phone as I've been burned before, but they assured me if I wasn't happy they would take it back. Needless to say she ain't goin' back.

Here is a picture of my girls. I love my blonde & redhead :)

ColonelJohnMatrix fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Jul 31, 2008

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

I got a phone call today and this just came in for me! (stolen from GIS)

And I got this about 2 weeks ago but never bothered posting it.

Steiler Drep
Nov 30, 2004
what?

The Flying Fish posted:

I got a phone call today and this just came in for me! (stolen from GIS)

My bassist has this amp and it's so freaking awesome. Have a hell of a time with it!

Helldump Immunity
Sep 11, 2001

pretty much rollin with the dad farm these days
The moment I bought this Tremoverb I felt extremely bad for my next door neighbors. Thank you, Craigslist.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

valve
Sep 29, 2007
That's well Jackson
Not so much a purchase, but i finally finished building my fanned fret 7 string:

Click here for the full 432x643 image.

Click here for the full 778x522 image.

Click here for the full 522x778 image.

Mr. Bojangles
Nov 6, 2003

I'm special
So special

Kanish posted:

Better pics soon, but my newest baby, got it for a steal.

24" bass drum, with the Aquarian super kick it sounds like thunder, I love it.

:whatup: identical kit buddy!

What's the mounting gear you're using for the rack tom? I'd like to get mine mounted to a boom stand like that.

Livingston
Jun 28, 2007

:zombie:hiiitsss:zombie:

valve posted:

Not so much a purchase, but i finally finished building my fanned fret 7 string:
*pics*

Wow! No volume or tone knob?! Is it fixed at something? Or just all the way up?

Uncle Caveman
Jun 16, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.
Volume & tone knobs only roll off the signal; without them the pickup is always sending full signal to the amp.

Looks great, Valve. I love the neck lamination!

Livingston
Jun 28, 2007

:zombie:hiiitsss:zombie:

Uncle Caveman posted:

Volume & tone knobs only roll off the signal; without them the pickup is always sending full signal to the amp.

Looks great, Valve. I love the neck lamination!

But you could set them to settings that you don't want to change, and just leave them inside the guitar.

valve
Sep 29, 2007
That's well Jackson
Thanks for the comments :)

The lack of controls is for a couple of reasons:-

On my other 7 string, i never use the tone control, and the volume is either all the way up, or completely off. I have a volume pedal and a mute switch on my pedalboard, so i did away with the controls.

Also, not having any controls, means not having and cavities- there is just one hole that goes from the pickup cavity to the output jack. Easier to build, and i think it makes it look more elegant and minimalist :)

You are correct though, i could put in an RC circuit to tune it, but i'm happy with how it sounds- the pickup is a Bareknuckle Warpig, if you're wondering.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 10 days!

valve posted:

Thanks for the comments :)

The lack of controls is for a couple of reasons:-

On my other 7 string, i never use the tone control, and the volume is either all the way up, or completely off. I have a volume pedal and a mute switch on my pedalboard, so i did away with the controls.

Also, not having any controls, means not having and cavities- there is just one hole that goes from the pickup cavity to the output jack. Easier to build, and i think it makes it look more elegant and minimalist :)

You are correct though, i could put in an RC circuit to tune it, but i'm happy with how it sounds- the pickup is a Bareknuckle Warpig, if you're wondering.

Its gorgeous! Did you have previous experience or is this your first build?

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe

valve posted:

Fanned frets are gorgeous and so is your guitar. Well done, sir!

TheForgotton
Jun 10, 2001

I'm making a career of evil.
I saw a thread in coupons that said Amazon had Sennheiser HD-280's on sale for $59.95 so I jumped on it. It turned out to be through a third party called Adorama, and the headphones were on backorder. Two weeks later I get notice that they've shipped, and today I get them in the mail. To my horror, there's a pink tag inside the plastic that says "refurbished" and a notice of limited warranty.

Should I try and send these back or are these be worthy of a $67.90 purchase if they're refurbished?

CanuckBassist
Mar 20, 2007

You should contact customer service. Adorama is a pretty good website for camera gear.

TheForgotton
Jun 10, 2001

I'm making a career of evil.

CanuckBassist posted:

You should contact customer service. Adorama is a pretty good website for camera gear.

Here's the reply:

quote:

Dear Valued Customer,

You ordered refurbished headphones.
I apologize if you didn't know that before.
I sent you return instructions if you would like to return it.
Since your order is an Amazon order you can only return for a refund and not for exchange.
We'll email you a confirmation once it has shipped.

Thank you for shopping with us we appreciate your business.

CanuckBassist
Mar 20, 2007

Well, if the refurbs are like-new and sound perfectly fine, I'd keep them. It's up to you. They're decent headphones.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

(Click for the product page)

Very exciting pedal from a series I've been looking forward to trying. Found out my favorite local shop got the whole series in (except the Fuzz, which is disappointing since that was the one I had already made up my mind to get based on nothing but clips). I sat down with this one for awhile, quickly realized that Danelectro isn't bullshitting when they say it's "way more than just metal," and figured I ought to take it home (for only $40, not a tough choice).

I'll try to get some clips up in the next day or two, but suffice it to say that I am very happy with the pedal already, though I've found it helpful to run a 7-band EQ after it for more precise tone shaping. Into a darker amp, it would not be necessary, but my THD Univalve is a bright one and my others reproduce a lot of treble, too, so it helps to have the ability to roll off the high treble. I had to give the same treatment to the Fab Tone (DD-1, bigass cockroach brown monster of a pedal)...

This is easily the best Danelectro high gain pedal I've used. In my signal chain right now, I have the Metal, the Fab Tone, and the Wasabi Distortion and they are all great pedals (though they are characteristically Dan-o, in that they require some quality time getting to know their sound before you're able to get going with 'em... Though the setting suggestions in this one's manual actually manage to sound good). This one is probably the most authentically amp-like high gain sound, though the Wasabi Distortion has some quality tones, too, and the Fab-Tone is a monster from the black pits of hell that wants to sacrifice your children to dark gods of blood and mayhem.

So, anyway, great $40, and I'll almost certainly be picking up at least three other Cool Cat pedals - all the features they advertise are spot on, and a cool one they don't talk about is the fact that these pedals all use full sized electronics rather than the finnicky SMD stuff you find in a lot of compact pedals. Also, they've overcome the biggest complaint most people used to have about Dan-o pedals: rather than plastic jacks secured by nothing but solder, these pedals all have metal jacks that are firmly mounted to the metal chassis.

Absolute steals, Dan-o is going to take over the market. Today marked a turning point, for me - I now have 8 Danelectro pedals, and 7 from other brands. :q:

Edit: I realized that I forgot to say what I mean by mentioning that it is more than just metal. It's also a really great distortion and fuzz sound, depending on how you set the EQ controls and gain. Gain at about 1/4th, roll the treble back sharply and boost the midrange a lot and the bass a bit, you get a great silicon-fuzz kind of sound, somewhere between a Fuzz Face and a Big Muff... A lot of tonal territory in this, the more expensive of the two Metal offerings in the Cool Cat lineup.

Agreed fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Aug 1, 2008

Prof Eli ASSBLASTER
May 30, 2007

by Fragmaster
welp

the wizards beard
Apr 15, 2007
Reppin

4 LIFE 4 REAL
Agreed, could you post some clips? I've been keeping an eye on this one. Why do you care that it uses through-hole components, do you want to mod it?

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe

Prof Eli ASSBLASTER posted:

welp

:swoon:
HOTHOTHOT. How's it play/sound/gushgushgush?

valve
Sep 29, 2007
That's well Jackson

Stux posted:

Its gorgeous! Did you have previous experience or is this your first build?

Thanks, it was my first build! Looking forward to making some more, it's pleased me that this one has turned out so well.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

the wizards beard posted:

Agreed, could you post some clips? I've been keeping an eye on this one. Why do you care that it uses through-hole components, do you want to mod it?

Absolutely can do, and the reason that I care is because I want to be able to repair it if something breaks or modify it if I want to. Plus, I really hate SMD stuff. It's a silly prejudice, maybe. Only bugs me in pedals, I guess because I feel like I ought to be able to see the circuit without a magnifying glass.

It has a very authentic sound, hard to describe it any other way. Plays nicely with my Windsor and with my Univalve. Turns up very well - I am running it now at about three quarters gain, it's got a sound like a totally cranked JCM900 or a JCM800 with a tubescreamer up front. Not exactly, of course, and it has a lot more range than that (that's with the midrange maxed, treble at 3/4, and bass boosted slightly).

I'll try to give a deep review of it with clips to demonstrate its features. Suffice it here to say I'm already looking at my next Cool Cat purchases.

Agreed fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Aug 1, 2008

The Bunk
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, I just don't know
where to begin.
Fun Shoe

Prof Eli ASSBLASTER posted:

welp

That's awesome. I've been hoping that they'll reissue a twelve string soon, and I would love if it were just like yours. You know, except with more strings. How does it play?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prof Eli ASSBLASTER
May 30, 2007

by Fragmaster

scuz posted:

:swoon:
HOTHOTHOT. How's it play/sound/gushgushgush?

Narwhale posted:

That's awesome. I've been hoping that they'll reissue a twelve string soon, and I would love if it were just like yours. You know, except with more strings. How does it play?

So far, it seems to play pretty damned well for a $200 guitar. The pickups are very clear and bright (if a little quiet) and it has crazy sustain. The neck is very comfortable and moderately thin. My only complaint really is that it's made in China, and the fact that the pickup switch and amp jack are chromed, which doesn't match the rest of the brushed nickel hardware. Really minor quibbles though, overall I love it.

Prof Eli ASSBLASTER fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Aug 2, 2008