Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

covener
Jan 10, 2004

You know, for kids!

J. Elliot Razorledgeball posted:

For whatever reason my LAN connection shows up as eth1 - how can I disable eth0 on startup (ifdown eth0)? I'm not too good with understanding Linux startup scripts.

you can also get this if you've ever had another network card in the system and udev is remembering your old MAC address should be eth0. grep -r eth0 /etc/udev

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

J. Elliot Razorledgeball
Jan 28, 2005

Accipiter posted:

Because you have two network cards. Turn off the one you're not using.

How do I turn it off in ssh? I'm running FC8.

Accipiter
Jan 24, 2004

SINATRA.

How do I turn it off in ssh?

Err... this is OS independent. Check your BIOS.

J. Elliot Razorledgeball
Jan 28, 2005

Accipiter posted:

Err... this is OS independent. Check your BIOS.

Well back to the original question - how can I just get my system to run ifdown eth0 every time it starts up?

Accipiter
Jan 24, 2004

SINATRA.

Well back to the original question - how can I just get my system to run ifdown eth0 every time it starts up?

ifdown eth0 isn't going to magically make eth1 turn into eth0 you know.

But you can stick it in /etc/rc.local if you want.

J. Elliot Razorledgeball
Jan 28, 2005

Accipiter posted:

ifdown eth0 isn't going to magically make eth1 turn into eth0 you know.

But you can stick it in /etc/rc.local if you want.

I know it won't, that's exactly why I'm doing this instead of messing with the BIOS. I've set up my config just as it should be for eth1, and it works perfectly, but the routing doesn't work right to certain destinations unless I put down eth0 first. Thanks.

Mr. Eric Praline
Aug 13, 2004
I didn't like the others, they were all too flat.

How do I turn it off in ssh? I'm running FC8.
# ifdown eth0
# mv /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0 /some/backup/dir/

Edit: Or modify the file by add/changing the line to ONBOOT=no

Mr. Eric Praline fucked around with this message at 14:25 on Jul 23, 2008

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

there is no universe where duke nukem would not be a trans ally

So this is a fairly simple question and I'm sure the answer is completely obvious. Forgive me, I'm a newb.

I just installed the newest Ubuntu server edition. I transferred over some files into a directory I created called /share. I made sure to chmod the directory and all the sub-directories as 777.

Today I decided to delete some redundant files off the transfer. Everything was going fine until I got to my folder /share/Videos/TV. All of the files and directories in there refuse to be deleted. Every time I try and delete them I get " 'Failed to remove [file]': Read-only file system"

I went back and tried to chmod the files again, and I get "changing permissions of '/share/Videos/TV': Read-only file system".

These are any file that's stored in this directory, whether it's an AVI or txt file. All the other folders and files in /share can be deleted or modified just fine. What simple little thing am I missing?

SynVisions
Jun 29, 2003

HKR posted:

So this is a fairly simple question and I'm sure the answer is completely obvious. Forgive me, I'm a newb.

I just installed the newest Ubuntu server edition. I transferred over some files into a directory I created called /share. I made sure to chmod the directory and all the sub-directories as 777.

Today I decided to delete some redundant files off the transfer. Everything was going fine until I got to my folder /share/Videos/TV. All of the files and directories in there refuse to be deleted. Every time I try and delete them I get " 'Failed to remove [file]': Read-only file system"

I went back and tried to chmod the files again, and I get "changing permissions of '/share/Videos/TV': Read-only file system".

These are any file that's stored in this directory, whether it's an AVI or txt file. All the other folders and files in /share can be deleted or modified just fine. What simple little thing am I missing?

What output do you get for:

mount
cat /etc/fstab
df /share/Videos/TV

If you don't see anything about ro in /etc/fstab you can try looking at dmesg or /var/log/messages to figure out why it was mounted read only.

Also chmoding everything 777 is really unnecessary, you might want to read up on file permissions.

SynVisions fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Jul 23, 2008

Mr. Eric Praline
Aug 13, 2004

SynVisions posted:

Also chmoding everything 777 is really unnecessary, you might want to read up on file permissions.
Yeah, 777 is also dangerous, as it makes it far easier for you to accidentally delete things yourself.

try
mount -o remount,rw /share/videos/tv

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

Loaded Xubuntu onto my laptop, everything but sound works. aplay -l shows the sound device and so does lspci -v.

However, the "master" volume slider just doesn't work, just PCM. I've tried all the various things suggested on the web, including installing the latest alsa drivers and adding a line to a file that's supposed to activate my sound.

It's a Toshiba laptop with an ATI motherboard running a Realtek ALC861 sound chip.

Any ideas?

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat

ZeeBoi posted:

Loaded Xubuntu onto my laptop, everything but sound works. aplay -l shows the sound device and so does lspci -v.

However, the "master" volume slider just doesn't work, just PCM. I've tried all the various things suggested on the web, including installing the latest alsa drivers and adding a line to a file that's supposed to activate my sound.

It's a Toshiba laptop with an ATI motherboard running a Realtek ALC861 sound chip.

Any ideas?

Open up a terminal, type "alsamixer", then make sure that PCM, Mono, and Master levels are up to normal levels. If not, adjust them.

Prince John
Jun 20, 2006

Oh, poppycock! Female bandits?

gt chizmack posted:

Open up a terminal, type "alsamixer", then make sure that PCM, Mono, and Master levels are up to normal levels. If not, adjust them.

Assuming that fixes it,

code:
sudo alsactl store
will then save your mixer settings across reboots.

Actually, just thinking about it, if changing the alsa mixer doesn't work, do check that you are set to use alsa and not pulseaudio (new sound system in 8.04). In Gnome you can switch between the two in the sound preferences dialogue and I assume there is something similar in Xfce.

Prince John fucked around with this message at 11:07 on Jul 24, 2008

SuicidalSmurf
Feb 12, 2002

Not sure where exactly this fits, but I need a suggestion for a way of implementing a shutdown procedure for power failure. I have a Belkin UPS with usb, and my plan was to have it hooked up to my windows pc and have it do the monitoring. I noticed in the power options control panel in windows that it can execute a program at a certain battery level.

My idea was to execute some kind of script at critical battery level to send a shutdown command to the linux box. The only question is how. I may be re-inventing the wheel here as I haven't looked real hard at a linux native management solution, but I feel like I could learn a lot trying it this way.

So where should I start? I'm totally talking out of my rear end, but I was thinking of possibly having a port triggered on the linux box by a batch script on the windows box? Running Ubuntu if it matters.

SynVisions
Jun 29, 2003

Just write a script that SSH's into the linux box and issues a shutdown. You can download cygwin if you want, but I'd be surprised if this wasn't possible with a regular windows SSH client like putty. Just make sure you generate a key so you can use public key authentication.

SynVisions fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Jul 24, 2008

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

gt chizmack posted:

Thing is, I can't change the level of Master, only PCM and one or two other input sources.

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat

ZeeBoi posted:

Thing is, I can't change the level of Master, only PCM and one or two other input sources.

Is this in the console alsamixer program?

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

gt chizmack posted:

Is this in the console alsamixer program?
Yeah, and anything else I try to use. I cannot control Master volume and it is stuck at 00.

CheeseDog
Apr 22, 2005

Hagrid: "An' they haven't invented a spell our Hermione can' do."
hello,
i have recently bought a radeon HD4850 and have been using Ubuntu now for the past three years but for the holidays i have been booting into windows for gaming pretty much non stop, now i have returned to uni i noticed that compiz is not working. (I upgraded the graphics card abou a month ago and haven't booted into ubuntu since.) i was looking at the work around s but they appear to have a few glitches and blips, i really don't want my OS dying after finishing an assignment.

my question is how long would your estimate be for the card to be added to supported cards list in the ubuntu repositories? ( i have a feeling that the answer may be "how long is a piece of string?" : )

i know the problems is the graphics because when i run compiz in the terminal it notes that my graphics card doesn't exist in the database

rugbert
Mar 26, 2003
yea, fuck you
Im about to reinstall Jinzora because I recall there being an alternate way the database/interface is set up but before I do, what are some other good music streaming packages with GOOD interfaces?

Like right now, I have three folders with a bunch of folders (each one an album) underneath, each containing music and I want Jinzora to look exactly like that file structure. Which it doesn't, and that makes browsing a complete bitch.

also - does anyone have a link to that "cool stuff to do with two nics cards" article that was on slashdot or digg a while back?

rugbert fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Jul 26, 2008

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

Well, installing Ubuntu proper allows me to have sound and wireless at the same time - a first after so many tries!

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!
I'm having some issues with my lvm, hoping for some help.
Running Ubuntu 8.04; LVM2; ReiserFS

I had 2 drives in my lvm which started to get full. So I decided to pick up a new drive. My motherboard only has 2 SATA controllers, so I also picked up a PCI -> SATA controller. Fast forward about 2 weeks, I start to get some really bad performance issues on the drive. My assumption is that the first 2 disks finaly filled up and its starting to use the new drive.

I'm unable to copy any (new)file larger than 56.9MB. Any file created before the new drive was added to the LVM is fine. This is both when doing a copy from 1 folder to the next, but also during scp transfers.

My first assumption is that PCI really wasn't the brightest idea, so I ordered a new PCI-e -> Sata. The LVM detects the drive just fine, but the same issue. So now, I'm assuming maybe the drive is messed up. I run a reiserfsck, and it detects no errors. I decide to try and remove the drive from the lvm, and durring the resize_reiser I get an error about bad blocks.

So now, I'm wanting to pull the new drive from the lvm, and I'll create a new lvm device with the drive for testing before I RMA the drive. Since I cannot resize the reiserFS; How can I pull the drive from the LVM? Any other ideas about the drive/LVM that I might of missed?

Beef Hardcheese
Jan 21, 2003

HOW ABOUT I LASH YOUR SHIT

I'm in a very basic networking class online right now, and one of the assignments is to design a network (on paper). The setup is that there are 4 computers, all of them Pentiums built in 1999 and running Windows 95, only one of which currently has access to the internet. The proposal also calls for it to be pretty cheap, so I've been doing some looking around at Linux for the software. So far, I'm thinking of RedHat as the main OS, and OpenOffice to replace WordPerfect. The existing network also uses MS Access for files; would Samba or PostgreSQL + ReKall work better for that? The professor hasn't given us specifics on what kind of computers we're working with, and probably isn't going to; this is more of a theory / setup exercise than an actual "putting together a network" assignment, and I'm a little paranoid I'll accidentally put in an application that won't run on the machines.

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

I'm not sure if the following will give me a coaster or not, so I better ask you guys before I try out:

find foldername/ -name *.gpg -ctime -5 -print0 | xargs -0 growisofs -M /dev/cdrw -r '{}' \;

so all those files named *.gpg changed five days ago or fewer will get burned as a session to my DVD-R. That's the idea.

bitprophet
Jul 22, 2004
Taco Defender
Gotta quote the *.gpg lest your shell expand it for you :)

And, what's the '{}'\; part for? That's usually found when using find -exec, and AFAIK has no meaning when used with xargs, although I could be misremembering things and xargs accepts it too.

Never used growisofs so no idea if those are the right args otherwise :keke:

x1o
Aug 5, 2005

My focus is UNPARALLELED!

SuicidalSmurf posted:

So where should I start? I'm totally talking out of my rear end, but I was thinking of possibly having a port triggered on the linux box by a batch script on the windows box? Running Ubuntu if it matters.

Here's a quick rundown to get you started, I had a setup similar to this when I had a lovely powerwave UPS. You'll have to lock it down though.

1) Get Putty, PuttyGen and Plink from Here.
2) Use Puttygen to create a ssh key without a passphrase.
3) Create a new user on the linux box and give them that key (/home/<user>/.ssh/authorized_keys)
4) Edit the /etc/sudoers file to give that user the shutdown command only. (<user> ALL = NOPASSWD: /sbin/shutdown)
5) Create a Putty Session with the username and key you created, then save it as something like "shutdown"
6) Write a .bat script with something like (plink shutdown sudo shutdown -h now) in it.

The Finn
Aug 27, 2004

إنه أصلع في الأسفل، كما تعلم

ZeeBoi posted:

Well, installing Ubuntu proper allows me to have sound and wireless at the same time - a first after so many tries!

I have sound, but wireless is the problem. Apparently though I have a card that does work in Linux, a Netgear MA521 with the Realtek 8081L chipset. I'm confused as to how to proceed, because this site http://rtl8180-sa2400.sourceforge.net/ says it has the drivers for it, but I can't figure out how to proceed. Can someone get me pointed in the right direction? It seems like the solution is out there but I just can't piece together all the clues to figure it out. I am a tiny little Linux babby.

crab avatar
Mar 15, 2006

iŧ Kë3Ã…Â, cħ gøài- <Ecl8

The Finn posted:

Netgear MA521 + Ubuntu

Searching the Official Ubuntu Forums are always a good start, especially with brand-name hardware. The community is huge so chances are someone already tried to get it working at some point.

edit: Note that the thread I linked to was posted three years ago, but the Win32 drivers might still be easier to install nowadays. I don't actually have experience with that card.

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

I found out why sound worked in Ubuntu and not Xubuntu: Ubuntu uses OSS and not ALSA by default. :haw:

The Finn posted:

I have sound, but wireless is the problem. Apparently though I have a card that does work in Linux, a Netgear MA521 with the Realtek 8081L chipset. I'm confused as to how to proceed, because this site http://rtl8180-sa2400.sourceforge.net/ says it has the drivers for it, but I can't figure out how to proceed. Can someone get me pointed in the right direction? It seems like the solution is out there but I just can't piece together all the clues to figure it out. I am a tiny little Linux babby.
As posted before me, check the ubuntu forums. Hitting Google I found this: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=99646 it's for 5.10 but I'm sure the forum has something for 8.04 somewhere.

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

Short question that I've been wondering about since I started playing with Linux several years ago: In Gnome, what does mouse "sensitivity" do? "Acceleration" changes the sensitivity.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I'm going to feel pretty dumb if this is obvious, but I'm playing around with distributions and I wanted to give Ubuntu Server a try. Coming from OpenSuse, I found it nice to be able to configure common items through Yast via the commandline. Is there something similar in Ubuntu? I'm fine with editing config files by hand, but Yast was nice for things like firewall setup.

I'm working on headless systems mostly so I'm looking specifically for cmdline tools.

bitprophet
Jul 22, 2004
Taco Defender
Not sure exactly how Yast configures things in a way that differs from editing config files; Debian-based systems use the apt suite of tools (apt-get, aptitude, dpkg, etc).

One feature of apt is that a package manager can define a configuration script to be run at install time (the system that handles this is called 'debconf') and so instead of just getting the usual installation output, the sysadmin will get a curses-based series of dialogs asking e.g. what the root MySQL password should be (for mysql-server) or how Postfix should be set up, as a standalone host / full mail server / satellite host / etc (for postfix).

You can then run dpkg-reconfigure <packagename> at any time post-installation and it will re-run those dialogs, letting you re-do the configuration. No idea if this overwrites manual changes done during the interim -- I'd expect so.

I'm guessing that's the sort of thing you're talking about? Only some Debian packages have this sort of thing defined, but I'd expect it to be the same with Yast: only when someone has taken the time to define these config question-answer patterns will you get to use them.

If you mean non-package-related stuff like your firewall example, I don't know of any built-in programs that give you a curses-based interface to configurations like that, but I don't look for that either, being a fan of config files :)

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

That's pretty much where I was going with it, thanks. I'm plenty OK with text based config files but there are times where I feel it is nice to get a window with some checkboxes, but that could just be me having spent the last ten years as a Windows developer ;)

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

bitprophet posted:

Gotta quote the *.gpg lest your shell expand it for you :)

And, what's the '{}'\; part for? That's usually found when using find -exec, and AFAIK has no meaning when used with xargs, although I could be misremembering things and xargs accepts it too.

Never used growisofs so no idea if those are the right args otherwise :keke:

You're right, the '{}'\; is from find -exec. I'm just not sure about this translating to
growisofs 1.gpg, growisofs 2.gpg, growisofs 3.gpg
instead of
growisofs 1.gpg 2.gpg 3.gpg

That is, growisofs burning three sessions instead of one with all three files.

ShoulderDaemon
Oct 9, 2003
support goon fund
Taco Defender

MargotK posted:

You're right, the '{}'\; is from find -exec. I'm just not sure about this translating to
growisofs 1.gpg, growisofs 2.gpg, growisofs 3.gpg
instead of
growisofs 1.gpg 2.gpg 3.gpg

That is, growisofs burning three sessions instead of one with all three files.

Add the -x option to xargs, and it will fail if it can't fit all the arguments in one invocation of the command.

almostkorean
Jul 9, 2001
eeeeeeeee
What's the easiest way to get a file from my windows machine to a SunOS machine on my network? I can ssh to the Sun machine, but I don't know how to transfer a file to it.

Accipiter
Jan 24, 2004

SINATRA.

almostkorean posted:

What's the easiest way to get a file from my windows machine to a SunOS machine on my network? I can ssh to the Sun machine, but I don't know how to transfer a file to it.

WinSCP.

Mr. Eric Praline
Aug 13, 2004

Accipiter posted:

WinSCP.
Or pscp if you want to script it.

helixxo
May 2, 2005
I have a question about freeBSD is that allowed?

I don't have much *nix experience. This morning I installed freeBSD on a laptop as a trial and the internet on it works. Then I installed it on my desktop and left windows XP as the primary OS. I don't seem to be able to connect to the internet from freeBSD but I can from windows (although for some reason it seems to take a second time in a row booting into windows for it to work, when I switch from freeBSD to windows I can't connect to the internet)

Here's pictures of what I get from ifconfig

laptop, working internet:

Click here for the full 1280x960 image.

desktop, no internet:

I've tried is messing around with the network configuring options under sysinstall for an hour but no avail.

edit: internet is regular adsl w/cat cable to modem

helixxo fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Aug 1, 2008

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megaman
May 8, 2004
I didn't read the thread BUT...

helixxo posted:

I have a question about freeBSD is that allowed?

I don't have much *nix experience. This morning I installed freeBSD on a laptop as a trial and the internet on it works. Then I installed it on my desktop and left windows XP as the primary OS. I don't seem to be able to connect to the internet from freeBSD but I can from windows (although for some reason it seems to take a second time in a row booting into windows for it to work, when I switch from freeBSD to windows I can't connect to the internet)

Here's pictures of what I get from ifconfig

laptop, working internet:

desktop, no internet:

I've tried is messing around with the network configuring options under sysinstall for an hour but no avail.

Make sure your /etc/rc.conf has ifconfig_ed0="DHCP" if you are looking for dhcp, static is like any other UNIX machine. Then restart networking with /etc/netstart