Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zap actionsdower!
Aug 7, 2004

in favor of festivals

Cmdr. Chompernuts posted:

I have a question about resizing. I'm looking at buying a vintage ring online that's a size 5, which I know is tiny. I think my girlfriend comes in at a 7 or 8, is that too much of a chore for a jeweler to resize? How much would it cost to do that?

My poor fiance didn't have a way to figure out my ring size (apparently a 5 1/2) and thought that the ring would be too small (it was at 5 1/2). So he had it sized up to a 7. (!!!) And then of course, I had to have it sized back to a 5 1/2.

Anyway. Pricing. That's the point of this post. It's a platinum ring. I think when he had it resized, it was around $20, but the retarded jewelers charged him for a white gold resizing instead of platinum. Not sure how that worked.

So when I called about resizing, they told me it would be $65. Another place I called wanted $55. And a third wanted $75. Finally I stuck gold with a small local shop, who charged $25. I would have also had the ring back much faster, if the jeweler hadn't been on vacation. They normally do 2-4 days, while all the larger local and chain stores said they had to wait for the jeweler to "come in" and it would be at least 2 weeks.

So my lesson is: call around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serjeant Snubbin
Feb 1, 2002

Pillbug
Why are you listing ring sizes in letters instead of numbers?

When we were ring shopping we tried on sizing rings so we know our ring finger sizes.

WolfensteinBag
Aug 7, 2003

So it was all your work?

Hey everyone! My boyfriend and I just recently got engaged this past Saturday. :) He's the one that actually told me about this thread. We just had something come up that I wanted to ask everyone's opinion about, so I haven't read the whole thread yet, sorry if something like this was already talked about!

So, my sister is also engaged. She's been engaged for a year, now, and their wedding, although they don't have a date or anything yet, is scheduled for October '09. Our problem is we were thinking of either a fall or spring wedding, and we don't want to wait as long as my sister has. We were thinking about a year, and wanted to shoot for, you guessed it, Fall '09. After hearing this, my sister flipped out. I understand not wanting the weddings at the same time, but we don't want to have to postpone our wedding just because she's been waiting so long for hers. She doesn't even like the idea of the following spring for us, because according to her it's still too close. It figures, she gets all excited, "Oh yay, we'll get to plan weddings together!" but I think once she actually thought of it, she got upset. I don't want to take away from her wedding, but my fiance and I both don't feel it's fair for us to wait like 2 years to get married.

Any suggestions on how to handle the situation? I just don't know what to do. :(

Azulita
Dec 9, 2006

by Lowtax
Your sister is being ridiculous. I can understand her not wanting you to leapfrog her and get married before her, or in the same month as her, but spring being off limits? That's just crazy. Pick the date you want and let her have a pity party. If it helps, May-September is wedding season and competition for resources is higher, as are rental costs. If you get married late fall/over the winter/very early spring, you can save money and skip some hassling. This is your special day - get married when YOU want, not when she wants.

Edit: And congratulations!

NovaCat
Apr 25, 2006

WolfensteinBag posted:

Any suggestions on how to handle the situation? I just don't know what to do. :(

Not that I quote Sex and the City often, but Miranda to Charlotte: "You get a day. A wedding day. Not a week."

I understand being sisters, she doesn't want it to be super close (and I'm sure your parents would agree. Might be stressful on them.) She does not, however, own the entire year on either side of her wedding. If I were you I'd aim for mid-spring 2010. Seems far away now, but it'll fly! Congrats.

Endor
Aug 15, 2001

She's being entirely unreasonable if she doesn't even want to have it in early spring 2010. That's retarded. You could suggest to your sister to schedule her wedding for early October, and then you could set yours for later in October so they're not back-to-back. Your sister still gets to be "first", and you don't have to wait 2 years to have a wedding.

WolfensteinBag
Aug 7, 2003

So it was all your work?

Thanks, guys, you're making me feel much less like a jerk.

Endor posted:

She's being entirely unreasonable if she doesn't even want to have it in early spring 2010. That's retarded. You could suggest to your sister to schedule her wedding for early October, and then you could set yours for later in October so they're not back-to-back. Your sister still gets to be "first", and you don't have to wait 2 years to have a wedding.

That's actually kinda what I was just thinking that I might run past my boyfriend. I'm pretty sure she wants to have her wedding around Oct. 10th, so I was thinking maybe in Nov. I LOVE the weather in Nov, and that way she can still be first. Also, I think she might be worried about people scheduling time to get to the wedding, and honestly, if she wants first dibs, I don't really care. That sounds kinda bad, but I know she wants a bigger wedding, and even with the rough estimate of 65 people, I wouldn't be heartbroken if people I maybe talk to once a year don't come because they can only pick one wedding to make it out for. Also, these times are still super tentative because my boyfriend's friend that he wants to be his best man is in the air force, so we'll probably see what times are best for HIM to come in, since they've been buddies for eons. Sigh. I knew this was going to be frustrating, but I didn't think it'd be this bad so early on!

HippyJuliet
May 9, 2007
I work in a jewellers and the biggest problem we have this time of year is people leaving it far too late to order rings. You would be amazed at the amount of people who book the venue, get the dress, fuss over details then forget the rings. We suggest 6 weeks minimum, to allow for ordering time, sizing etc. Yes, we can hurry orders through and yes, I have been known to get express service from my head office. But no, I can not perform miracles.

With sizing, let us measure you and get it right.Its part of the service. But dont expect us to have your size in stock. Womens sizes can run from G - R (and bigger). In UK terms, thats from a very skinny size 6 to large/overweight lady. Thats 12 sizes. I have 120 styles of ring currently available to order. We physically can not stock 1440 rings. We can not carry enough sizes in all the styles. I wish I could.

On a less ranty note, I sold a pair of rings today to a couple who were eloping to 'save all the hassle' of dealing with their families. Apparently their children and step children, ex partners and parents hate each other. So this 40 something couple were going to Gretna Green. So romantic.

Gravitee
Nov 20, 2003

I just put money in the Magic Fingers!
Getting engaged is like a disease in my family. My SO's brother got married last October, we are getting married in 2.5 weeks, and his sister is getting married next February. We kind of jumped the gun on getting married before his sister, but she was going to be engaged for over 2 years and I didn't want to wait that long. My brother is also getting married next March (HI KATIE) so all of my siblings will be married in a short period of time. SO's cousin is also getting married two weeks after us and they are the only ones who said something to us about having their weddings close together. I didn't originally plan to have it in August, but the date was open for the venue I wanted so it was do it then or wait another 6 months. It's was more a big deal to the cousin's mom then the cousin but she got over it.

All of that non-exciting personal information aside, you do have to worry about the other people in your family when picking a date. If you have your two weddings close, then people may not come to the later one if they have to come from out of town. They also might forgo going to either because they can only get to one and not the other and don't want to pick favorites. That's not fair to either you or your sister. Going to a wedding is not cheap; you have to buy a dress, a present, make travel arrangements etc etc. If your parents are chipping in, you also need to consider their pocketbooks. If neither of these situations apply, then have it whenever in the hell you want.

WolfensteinBag
Aug 7, 2003

So it was all your work?

Gravitee posted:

All of that non-exciting personal information aside, you do have to worry about the other people in your family when picking a date. If you have your two weddings close, then people may not come to the later one if they have to come from out of town. They also might forgo going to either because they can only get to one and not the other and don't want to pick favorites. That's not fair to either you or your sister. Going to a wedding is not cheap; you have to buy a dress, a present, make travel arrangements etc etc. If your parents are chipping in, you also need to consider their pocketbooks. If neither of these situations apply, then have it whenever in the hell you want.

I know we do have like two people that would be invited to both weddings and would need to travel for it, but I just really, really don't care! If I could get away with only having our immediate families there, I would, but I can't insult the aunts/uncles/cousins/friends for it. If they all want to go to her wedding, or if everyone makes more of a deal over hers, I really don't care. Also, our parents are NOT helping with the wedding (aside from small contributions from my mom for a dress & stuff), so that also doesn't really factor in. I actually just e-mailed her asking what we can do to make her feel better about it, we're quite close and I even wanted her to be my maid of honor, so I'm hoping we can figure out a way to make her happy. I just don't think it's fair that she wants me to put off getting married just because she did. :( Stupid logistics :argh:

GoreJess
Aug 4, 2004

pretty in pink

WolfensteinBag posted:

Hey everyone! My boyfriend and I just recently got engaged this past Saturday. :) He's the one that actually told me about this thread. We just had something come up that I wanted to ask everyone's opinion about, so I haven't read the whole thread yet, sorry if something like this was already talked about!

Just wanted to say congratulations to a fellow PI goon. And stop calling him your boyfriend!!! You can now finally say "fiance".

WolfensteinBag
Aug 7, 2003

So it was all your work?

^^^^ Haha I was actually just talking about that with him earlier! I know way too many people who are all "My fiance..." this & that, & it irritates the hell out of me, so I want to be careful not to overuse it myself. :) But I tell ya, it is fun, though! I especially like saying how pretty soon I'll be able to call him my husband. :keke:

Optimus_Rhyme
Apr 15, 2007

are you that mainframe hacker guy?

Any pointers for a November wedding in the NoVa region? We're thinking this year for a small intimate ceremony (>20 people). I've been looking into vineyards because November in Virginia is beautiful. So just was wondering if anyone have pointers for a wedding then?

squirrellypoo
Feb 8, 2003

HippyJuliet posted:

I work in a jewellers
I can't PM you (it looks like it's not enabled on your account?), but do you have a catalogue online or anything? Feel free to email me (my username at gmail.com) if you don't want to broadcast your day job to internet detectives. I'm just pleased to find a UK supplier for once.

WolfensteinBag posted:

^^^^ Haha I was actually just talking about that with him earlier! I know way too many people who are all "My fiance..."
My fiance said it felt like the f-word was a demotion from "partner", which is what he was calling me before...

And there was another proposal on our mooring over the weekend, which now brings the total to three engaged couples (in a total of about 25 people total)! We've got our own little wedding prep support group now, though thankfully our dates are pretty spread out...

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
n-thing the suggestions on where/how to do an engagement: do something that would be meaningful for the both of you. This is how I rolled a little over a month ago:

Click here for the full 1142x857 image.

I had known for a very long time that going on a hot air balloon ride was one of the things she wanted to do before she dies, so it was pretty much a slam-dunk there.

We're on pretty good track so far, with church, pastor, reception place all lined up, and she's even purchased a dress already. Her parents gave us a pretty generous set amount, and any money left over within that budget is ours to do with what we wish (hello house downpayment fund).

We're pretty low-key people and frugal, but even so we're splurging on certain things because we want it to be an enjoyable day for everyone. Surprisingly, the reception place is very reasonably priced, and we're doing free beer/wine along with a buffet. There is an option for a cash bar for mixed drinks too, but we're deciding against that as my parents are somewhat anti-alcohol.

Darthphunk
Jul 3, 2002

Where's my Republic Credits BITCH?!?!?
So I am getting married saturday...

I have a totally awesome/radical/righteous playlist of Funk, R%B, Blues and 80's songs to play at the reception.

I think I have enough, but the playlist is a little thin.

Can you guys suggest some more songs to jam in their earholes? (I already have Parliament - Good to your Earhole)

Thanks for the suggestions!

Love,
Grandma

amethystbliss
Jan 17, 2006

Just out of curiosity, what kind of readings are you using at your ceremony? We're not a religious couple at all but we still want to have someone read a few nice poems and such. So far I've found some nice things from Saul Williams, Pablo Neruda and Ted Hughes but nearly everything Google pulls up is horribly tacky.

Darthphunk
Jul 3, 2002

Where's my Republic Credits BITCH?!?!?

amethystbliss posted:

Just out of curiosity, what kind of readings are you using at your ceremony? We're not a religious couple at all but we still want to have someone read a few nice poems and such. So far I've found some nice things from Saul Williams, Pablo Neruda and Ted Hughes but nearly everything Google pulls up is horribly tacky.

I stole a bunch of tacky things from the internet and cut and pasted everything in to one sappy tack-fest.

I'm not terribly religious either... our gay british radio DJ friend is officiating.

Backno
Dec 1, 2007

Goff Boyz iz da rudest Boyz

SKA SUCKS
Weeee....one month till D-day. At least the only thing we have to get are a hotel room for the night before and after the wedding. :woop:

ellabella
Jul 21, 2008
Your best bet for readings, imo, is to check out this thread at Kvetch/Indiebride

IB is odd, it was part of a bigger website until the site owners basically stopped all production on website/business related things but just left the forum there, so it's still used.

This is the vows board entirely
http://kvetch.indiebride.com/index.php?t=thread&frm_id=4&rid=0&S=b231f5bda2a6a9a783f00f97e018807c

and here are the relevant readings threads
http://kvetch.indiebride.com/index.php?t=msg&th=2271&start=0&rid=0&S=b231f5bda2a6a9a783f00f97e018807c

There are tons of other threads in there looking for specific readings/styles but that is the 16 page amass of all things readings.

http://kvetch.indiebride.com/index.php?t=msg&goto=773729&rid=0&S=b231f5bda2a6a9a783f00f97e018807c#msg_773729

That is also a great thrad, and that link should take you to my ceremony text entirely. It's got great layout examples,etc. if you're looking for that too.

Azulita
Dec 9, 2006

by Lowtax
I got a lot of reading ideas from indiebride. There are also books published just to help you with readings, you could try amazon or your library.

amethystbliss
Jan 17, 2006

Thanks so much for all the links!

By the way, the hot air balloon engagement looks amazing.

Cassandra Complex
Apr 13, 2008
I just came across this when I was browsing A/T and I'm sooo glad! My boyfriend and I have been trying to plan ahead and we've been running into some problems.

The biggest one thats been delaying everything is the engagement ring. He doesn't know what to get me at all because I don't wear a lot of jewelry and I do a lot of painting/drawing/printmaking/anything that you cant wear jewelry with. I'm left handed so I worry about getting a ring with stones in it because I'm sure I will damage it. I wouldn't feel comfortable with taking the ring off every time I was working, either. I might just have to buy a thick fingerless type glove to cover the ring if I can't find a solution.

So what would be the best ring/website to browse for me? All I ever see are fragile rings with huge stones popping out of them. I'm looking through suggested engagement ring websites so I hope I can find one. I'd like to hear from anyone here if they would know a solution for me.

We both aren't religious or part of a religion, so we don't feel right in having a pastor. My sister was married by a judge for her wedding but I'm not entirely sure if I want to do that, either. Have any of you heard of good alternatives?

I really hope you guys can help! :)

P.S. The first dance song? I'm pretty sure we want "The Love Cats" by The Cure.

amethystbliss
Jan 17, 2006

Cassandra Complex posted:

We both aren't religious or part of a religion, so we don't feel right in having a pastor. My sister was married by a judge for her wedding but I'm not entirely sure if I want to do that, either. Have any of you heard of good alternatives?

If by some chance you're from Pennsylvania or would consider getting married there, it's one of the only states to allow a self-uniting marriage where you don't need a third party officiant. I'm looking into it myself and although it looks like some counties don't offer it, it's worth checking out. I think Colorado allows self-uniting marriages too.
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Self-uniting_marriage)

I've heard of people who have paid to have close friends or family members do an online course to become their officiant but I have no idea how that works. Good luck with finding a ring!

Skutter
Apr 8, 2007

Well you can fuck that sky high!

So what would be the best ring/website to browse for me? All I ever see are fragile rings with huge stones popping out of them. I'm looking through suggested engagement ring websites so I hope I can find one. I'd like to hear from anyone here if they would know a solution for me.

If you want to have precious stones in your ring, but don't want to have to worry about them, you should look for rings that have either "bezel" (for a single stone) or "channel" (for multiple stones) settings. This means that the stones are actually surrounded by the metal, and not just clutched by a few prongs.

Bezel:

Channel:

I don't know if there are any specific bezel or channel websites, but just use those keywords to see if you can find anything. Go to some jewelry stores in the mall and try some on to see if they'll work for you. If you're worried about your future ring getting damaged, you might want to go to a store that has ring warranties, so you can take it in for cleanings, re-dippings and replacement of lost stones whenever you need to. A lot of people say that mall stores are rip-offs, but my experience with JB Robinson's has been great (I can't say anything for other stores). Plus they have a "12 months same as cash" payment plan, which is really nice if you can't plunk down the ring amount all at once, and you don't want to put it all on your credit card.

Ring of Light
Sep 3, 2006

I just came across this when I was browsing A/T and I'm sooo glad! My boyfriend and I have been trying to plan ahead and we've been running into some problems.

The biggest one thats been delaying everything is the engagement ring. He doesn't know what to get me at all because I don't wear a lot of jewelry and I do a lot of painting/drawing/printmaking/anything that you cant wear jewelry with. I'm left handed so I worry about getting a ring with stones in it because I'm sure I will damage it. I wouldn't feel comfortable with taking the ring off every time I was working, either. I might just have to buy a thick fingerless type glove to cover the ring if I can't find a solution.

I am an art student too and my ring has a stone. When my boyfriend proposed the next day we went out and I picked out a plain sterling silver chain. I wear the chain all the time so when I am doing something with my hands I just throw it on the chain then put it back on when I'm all cleaned up. I knew I would lose it if I didn't have it on my person at all times. So far this has worked out very well.

Jessi Bond
May 2, 2007

Daddy's girl's a fucking monster.

amethystbliss posted:

If by some chance you're from Pennsylvania or would consider getting married there, it's one of the only states to allow a self-uniting marriage where you don't need a third party officiant. I'm looking into it myself and although it looks like some counties don't offer it, it's worth checking out. I think Colorado allows self-uniting marriages too.

I've heard of people who have paid to have close friends or family members do an online course to become their officiant but I have no idea how that works. Good luck with finding a ring!

Also, in Massachusetts you can pretty much just become an officiant for a day. As I understand it, it's fewer hoops to jump through than getting licensed through the Universal Life Church, which is done online (and not necessarily recognized in every region). Just something to consider.

If you're stuck in a region with no other options, you'll need to be creative. Some judges will travel to your location, but others will require you to come to their courthouse. It all depends on where you are. If judges won't work, consider -

Unitarian "churches." I'm getting married in one, and we were unlucky enough to have schedule clashes with both reverends who were affiliated there. However, they are more "spiritual" than religious and totally open to doing whatever kind of ceremony you want. If you can find one who is within reasonable distance of your wedding location, they'd likely do it. If they can't or won't, the Unitarian church might still be able to refer you to a roving officiant in the area.

Rent-a-Priest. Apparently, there is such a thing as a married priest. They are still recognized by the government, and (albeit grudgingly) by the church. But they can't preside over mass or lead a church, so these guys rent themselves out for weddings. This is the route we ended up going. Though they are obviously religious, most of them will perform whatever ceremony you want. At our first meeting, ours had a little speech about his religious experience, which was slightly uncomfortable. But when I said that we didn't want religion in our ceremony, he didn't protest at all.

Maybe neither of these options is good for a hardcore atheist, but they're worth considering. Every state has different laws about how is able to perform weddings, so do some research in your area and see what you can work out.

CalamityKate
Dec 4, 2004

I would suggest getting a ring you like and a sturdy chain for it so that you can wear it as a pendant for the days when you are going to be working with your hands! Good luck :)

Edit: I have no idea how I missed the post two up. FOR CONTENT: if you're concerned about bumping the ring and don't want to get diamond, make sure you're still getting a hard stone, and not something damage prone, like opal. Also go try some on and see if you are still worried. Websites are going to make the rock look huger than it will in real life :)

CalamityKate fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Aug 3, 2008

Cassandra Complex
Apr 13, 2008

Ring of Light posted:

I am an art student too and my ring has a stone. When my boyfriend proposed the next day we went out and I picked out a plain sterling silver chain. I wear the chain all the time so when I am doing something with my hands I just throw it on the chain then put it back on when I'm all cleaned up. I knew I would lose it if I didn't have it on my person at all times. So far this has worked out very well.

The chain sounds like a really good idea, I can only help it'd work as good for me if I tried that. I'm usually a little forgetful on taking off jewelry and putting it somewhere safe (hence me never wearing any). :(
What length is your chain? I'd think a fairly short one but of course not a choker size would be ideal.

CalamityKate posted:

I would suggest getting a ring you like and a sturdy chain for it so that you can wear it as a pendant for the days when you are going to be working with your hands! Good luck

Edit: I have no idea how I missed the post two up. FOR CONTENT: if you're concerned about bumping the ring and don't want to get diamond, make sure you're still getting a hard stone, and not something damage prone, like opal. Also go try some on and see if you are still worried. Websites are going to make the rock look huger than it will in real life

Thanks! I like other stones more than diamonds so I'd much rather prefer choosing one I'd like than just a diamond. I'll be doing some researching!

Skutter posted:

Rings!

I can't believe I forgot about bezel rings...I just did an intro to jewelry class and I even bezeled some things myself :sigh:

Thanks everyone! Now I've got some ideas to work with! :)
I have a few questions on the whole marriage/uniting posts but I'm super tired from work, so I'll come back tomorrow and post some more.

Thanks again!

Cassandra Complex
Apr 13, 2008

amethystbliss posted:

I was going to ask if you needed to be a PA citizen but I looked that up so I don't need to ask that question anymore! I'm from the Midwest area and the lookup on my state doesn't look like we have self-uniting marriages. Although I would think from reading that wikipedia entry that a few counties would since theres quite a bit of Amish communities around. I'll just have to dig around a little more, thanks!

TortillaFactory posted:

Also, in Massachusetts you can pretty much just become an officiant for a day. As I understand it, it's fewer hoops to jump through than getting licensed through the Universal Life Church, which is done online (and not necessarily recognized in every region). Just something to consider.

If you're stuck in a region with no other options, you'll need to be creative. Some judges will travel to your location, but others will require you to come to their courthouse. It all depends on where you are. If judges won't work, consider -

Unitarian "churches." I'm getting married in one, and we were unlucky enough to have schedule clashes with both reverends who were affiliated there. However, they are more "spiritual" than religious and totally open to doing whatever kind of ceremony you want. If you can find one who is within reasonable distance of your wedding location, they'd likely do it. If they can't or won't, the Unitarian church might still be able to refer you to a roving officiant in the area.

Rent-a-Priest. Apparently, there is such a thing as a married priest. They are still recognized by the government, and (albeit grudgingly) by the church. But they can't preside over mass or lead a church, so these guys rent themselves out for weddings. This is the route we ended up going. Though they are obviously religious, most of them will perform whatever ceremony you want. At our first meeting, ours had a little speech about his religious experience, which was slightly uncomfortable. But when I said that we didn't want religion in our ceremony, he didn't protest at all.

Maybe neither of these options is good for a hardcore atheist, but they're worth considering. Every state has different laws about how is able to perform weddings, so do some research in your area and see what you can work out.

Actually, I think there are two Unitarian churches in my hometown and I would definitely go that route if I can't get a self uniting marriage. The Rent-a-Priest I'll have to see if theres any around the state, thanks a whole bunch! :)

MockTurtle
Mar 9, 2006
Once I was a real Turtle.
If anyone else is hunting for a UU church in their area, the UUA has a handy locator:
http://www.uua.org/aboutus/findcongregation/index.php

HippyJuliet
May 9, 2007
[quote="squirrellypoo"]
I'm just pleased to find a UK supplier for once.

No problem. I work for F.Hinds, a family jewellers with over 100 branches. Website is https://www.fhinds.co.uk.

squirrellypoo
Feb 8, 2003

HippyJuliet posted:

No problem. I work for F.Hinds, a family jewellers with over 100 branches. Website is https://www.fhinds.co.uk.
Awesome, thanks! Do you know if it's possible to mix and match designs and metals? There's on design in particular that would compliment my engagement ring perfectly, but I'd prefer it in platinum rather than white gold...

Also, we're very excited because, after visiting venue this weekend and meeting with the fantasic wedding coordinator there.... we have a date! 19 Sept 2009! Or rather, 19.09.09 (or 09/19/09 for the Americans). That's got to be a lucky date!

The venue and services there are exactly what we wanted and they were so flexible and easygoing about everything, not pushing us into any expensive add-ons or anything. But I still choked at the total once you add everything up and add on VAT. My god, it's a good thing we've got a year to save, because it's going to be a very tight year in order to put enough aside. And luckily everything else should be only a few hundred quid (I'm sewing my dress and the bridesmaids', our friends bake, photograph, and do flowers, and his suit will be fairly cheap). But talking to friends who've had weddings recently, it sounds like we're getting a pretty drat good deal for our numbers and venue support, so I suppose that makes us feel a little better...

I feel like we should do something for our -1 anniversary, though.

Ring of Light
Sep 3, 2006

What length is your chain? I'd think a fairly short one but of course not a choker size would be ideal.

I think it is 18 inches but I can't remember exactly. I wanted it to be long enough that when I had the ring on the chain it would be under my shirt so it could be protected even more.

HippyJuliet
May 9, 2007
9 times out of 10, I'd say it was possible to remake rings in different metals. If its a small jewellers, they may make their own or work with small designs who are fairly obliging. On the other hand, big chain like mine place so many orders and buy so many rings, manufacturers will bend the design for us to match customers requests. They get our custom and we get your money. Everyones happy.

Be aware that if you but 'off design' and want changes, your pay for the added cost of materials (ie platinum is more expensive than gold) and youll also pay more for the hassle and work involved.

And Ring of Light, as a rough guide: 16" sits high on your collarbone, 18" just below collarbone. To hide under clothes, Id go for a 20 or 22" length. 24" will go on without being undone. All rough measures are for women. For men, go 2" longer ie. 18" to sit collarbone.

midori-a-gogo
Feb 26, 2006

feeling a bit green
Anyone know where I can find nice wedding dress patterns? I've been looking around but nothing seems right; it's all too poofy or slinky. I'm just a plain-jane kind of girl with 60s sensibilities and not too much money to spend.

squirrellypoo
Feb 8, 2003

midori-a-gogo posted:

Anyone know where I can find nice wedding dress patterns? I've been looking around but nothing seems right; it's all too poofy or slinky. I'm just a plain-jane kind of girl with 60s sensibilities and not too much money to spend.
hahah, I just posted on my blog this morning with my wedding dress choices, but in general, the pattern sites to browse through are:

Burda
Simplicity
Vogue
McCalls
Butterick
(or even BurdaStyle, which are mostly free)

...and remember it's worth looking in the regular dress sections as well as the vintage reproductions on those sites and not just the "formal" ranges.

If you're into vintage stuff, there's also Folkwear, Vintage Pattern Lending Library, EvaDress, Decades of Style, and a thousand independent vintage pattern resellers like Lanetz Living for ideas (though OOP patterns will likely be in limited sizes. Don't buy anything too far off your own measurements unless you really hate your dressmaker/yourself).

(We've also got a Sewing and DIY Fashion Megathread here on SA that might help you?)

squirrellypoo fucked around with this message at 15:02 on Aug 5, 2008

GoreJess
Aug 4, 2004

pretty in pink
So we got engaged last night (finally, people were starting to wonder if after 5.5 years together it would ever happen)! And now I have to figure out how to plan a wedding. Does anyone have any recommendations for planners? Or any books to just stay away from?

We'll probably have a "normal" wedding, with a non-denominational ceremony & a reception at some hotel or reception hall type of place (there are a few locations I've been eying online that I need to go see in person). I just don't know where to start.

Optimus_Rhyme
Apr 15, 2007

are you that mainframe hacker guy?

We're trying to setup a wedding at a courthouse/city hall and we're having a hell of a time finding on in Northern Virginia. Anyone from that area in this forum that can help?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skutter
Apr 8, 2007

Well you can fuck that sky high!

GoreJess posted:

So we got engaged last night (finally, people were starting to wonder if after 5.5 years together it would ever happen)! And now I have to figure out how to plan a wedding. Does anyone have any recommendations for planners? Or any books to just stay away from?

We'll probably have a "normal" wedding, with a non-denominational ceremony & a reception at some hotel or reception hall type of place (there are a few locations I've been eying online that I need to go see in person). I just don't know where to start.

Check out your local bookstore's wedding section. There will be a ton of planning books that will give you a good idea of what you need. I bought one for my friend when we were planning her wedding, and it ended up being incredibly useful. We were able to keep track of everything (deposits, receipts, etc.), and the lists it had for everything were very detailed. I know that there are a few "GRRL POWER anti-wedding I'm a bitch"-type planning books, so that might be something to check into as well. They have lots of tips on how to have a non-traditional wedding, and handy hints on how to save money. Congrats!