Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kyon
Dec 19, 2006

brap

Stoic Commie posted:

I had no idea Honda made a CBR in 250. And it's fuel injected!

I understand they stopped making them in '99. I'd still much rather have an older CBR250 than an 08 Ninja.

Are they hard to find?

I've heard that they're extremely hard to find in the States - since they were never sold locally over there. They're fairly common over here in Australia though.

And they're actually carburetted bikes - much like the 08 Ninja. I've found it to be a blessing - as carbs are simple enough to maintain and work with (It's my first bike, and I'm not that mechanically inclined)

Fuel injection would be :psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Kyon posted:

I've heard that they're extremely hard to find in the States - since they were never sold locally over there. They're fairly common over here in Australia though.

And they're actually carburetted bikes - much like the 08 Ninja. I've found it to be a blessing - as carbs are simple enough to maintain and work with (It's my first bike, and I'm not that mechanically inclined)

Fuel injection would be :psyduck:

Extremely hard is an understatement. In 4 years of trolling craigslist, assorted local sites, etc. etc, I have seen one available in california that was street legal. I've seen a few more track only ones.

Awesomely badass bike though.

Jharkov
Feb 26, 2008

by Ozma

Z3n posted:

Extremely hard is an understatement. In 4 years of trolling craigslist, assorted local sites, etc. etc, I have seen one available in california that was street legal. I've seen a few more track only ones.

Awesomely badass bike though.

Sorry i have to disagree on the CBR250s.
About the only badass thing about a CBR250 is they sound like a horde of bees coming to attack.
They have no torque, they rev to the moon, their heavy, they are expensive for what they are, and have full fairings which is what you don't want on a learner bike.

Having said that, the best learner bike is a Supermoto, thats if you're tall enough.
Failing that, a GS500. No fairing poo poo, its got abit of torque. Fuel economical.

Moving along...

mutt2jeff
Oct 2, 2004
The one, the only....
Right, cause a bike that will power wheelie in 2nd gear (drz sm) is a awesome beginner bike. A sm is a great bike to drop, but not necessarily a good beginner bike, unless 250cc or less which may have been what you are saying.

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

Jharkov posted:

....they rev to the moon,

you say that like its a bad thing, revving the poo poo out of my old inline 4 250 was one of my favourite things in all my motorcycle experience.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Jharkov posted:

About the only badass thing about a CBR250 is they sound like a horde of bees coming to attack.
They have no torque, they rev to the moon, their heavy, they are expensive for what they are, and have full fairings which is what you don't want on a learner bike.

Having said that, the best learner bike is a Supermoto, thats if you're tall enough.
Failing that, a GS500. No fairing poo poo, its got abit of torque. Fuel economical.

Moving along...

Yes, supermotos are wonderful starter bikes. Crazy torque combined with ultra light weight and wheelies galore is surely something that every noob needs.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Jharkov posted:

Moving along...

No torque? Fine on a beginner bike.

Rev to the moon? Great on a 250 because you can pound it through redline in 3 gears and just barely be leaving an intersection. Ride slow while feeling like you're a superhero!

http://www.bikez.com/motorcycles/honda_cbr_250_rr_1994.php

350 pounds isn't light...but it's not that heavy either. 50 pounds lighter than a GS500. Enough gearing and wind protection to be used on the freeway without any trouble.

Sure, full fairings suck, it's more powerful and heavier than a 250, but it'll also keep a new rider entertained longer (18k redline, :awesome: ) I desperately wish we got more of the I4 250s here so I could have a horde of cheap racebikes...oh well, SV does well enough for now.

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug
Picture thread fellas!

New Buell 1125CR announced:

I actually think it looks pretty good, esp compared to the ugly beast that is the 1125R. The big fuckoff ram airs don't look nearly as out of place. Assuming it doesn't get detuned and they actually fix all the problems they've been having, it could be a pretty nice hooligan bike.

pr0zac fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Jul 30, 2008

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

I hate just about every exhaust since 2008 models.

What the hell changed that made them all turn into huge black baffled pieces of poo poo?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

pr0zac posted:

Picture thread fellas!

I actually think it looks pretty good, esp compared to the ugly beast that is the 1125R. The big fuckoff ram airs don't look nearly as out of place. Assuming it doesn't get detuned and they actually fix all the problems they've been having, it could be a pretty nice hooligan bike.

I loved everything about that bike until I saw someone riding it and the seating position just looks painful. I mean, cafe racer style and all but still...

Plus they need to fix the technical issues with the engine and brakes.

mantaworks
May 6, 2005

by Fragmaster

pr0zac posted:

Picture thread fellas!

Did liefeld draw this? :confused:

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
No, there's not enough pouches.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

mantaworks posted:

Did liefeld draw this? :confused:

Phy posted:

No, there's not enough pouches.

Well, this thread took an unexpected turn to "nerdy."

Hand a bit of an accident. Gonna copy/paste from my ADVRider thread:

Uthor posted:

Had a small "fender bender" about an hour ago. I was going down the road and coming up to an intersection with a green light. A van made a left in front of me, I locked my rear trying to stop, and I hit his rear fender at about 5 mph. I lost my balance and the bike fell over. We were both a block from our respective homes.

I saw the guy and he started to go then hesitated. I started to slow down a bit when he went after his initial hesitation. I locked my rear when I slammed on my brakes. I wish I didn't as I could have gone around in retrospect, but at the time I wasn't sure if he was going to stop or not. If he slammed on his brakes, I would have center punched him and I decided I wanted to be going as slow as possible if that were to happen.

All I have is a teeny-tiny scratch on my knee. I decided I didn't feel like putting on my leather pants before leaving, so I'm lucky that's all the damage I have. The bike has a bent rear brake pedal and a scratched up tank badge.

The cop and the paramedics all came up and kept saying, "So, you laid it down trying to stop." No, I laid it down after I hit his fender and lost my balance. I was upright up until then. I'm not an idiot.

The guy took all responsibility. He did keep trying to make small talk with me about planting vines and the crap that is on TV, like I wasn't pissed at him. He said he'll pay for the damage, so I'm gonna quote him $130 for the parts (according to Bike Bandit) and fix it myself. Actually, I think I can fix the brake without buying a new one, so that'll be money in my pocket, at least. If he doesn't come through by the end of the week, I'll take it to my insurance.

Since it's a picture thread:

Click here for the full 1024x768 image.

Okay, off to read my comic books for the week...

inolen
Dec 10, 2003
http://www.12oclockriders.fr/Forum/jdo/images/IMG_4796_2.jpg

http://www.dailymotion.com/atmospheretig/video/x62sk2_mon-film-2_sport

Somebody fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Aug 8, 2008

the letter b
Apr 21, 2003
...no more disruptive than Insight.

Haha holy poo poo. I had the standard 'oh great he's going to flip it' :rolleyes: reaction before he even lifted the front wheel, but :aaaaa:

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

the letter b posted:

Haha holy poo poo. I had the standard 'oh great he's going to flip it' :rolleyes: reaction before he even lifted the front wheel, but :aaaaa:

The craziest bit about the entire thing is that once it went over backwards, he had to be using the rear brake to prevent it from falling over, but modulating it enough that it still continues backwards before he brings it back...:psyduck:

I mean, I'm not impressed until he scrapes his back protector on the ground. :colbert:

Drunk Pledge Driver
Nov 10, 2004
That's basically what I did except for the part where the bike goes back upright. It went back upright, I didn't.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
and look at how gentle he lands the front end, i dont even see the shocks move.

bung
Dec 14, 2004

Here a lot of cool videos of a guy running Pike's Peak on a KTM Superduke R

We'll be seeing the front flip in freestyle pretty soon

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug

THATS how they practice that stuff. I thought they just hurt themselves a whole lot. So umm... how do they get the bike out?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

pr0zac posted:

THATS how they practice that stuff. I thought they just hurt themselves a whole lot. So umm... how do they get the bike out?

There is usually a small crane or winch setup to lift the bike out.

They did used to hurt themselves alot. I wonder who had the first great idea to fill a dumpster with foam blocks?

inolen
Dec 10, 2003

Z3n posted:

The craziest bit about the entire thing is that once it went over backwards, he had to be using the rear brake to prevent it from falling over, but modulating it enough that it still continues backwards before he brings it back...:psyduck:

This is the whole fun with real stunting, there is a large technical side to it.

Funny video of my girlfriend wrecking while learning idle wheelies:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KSJHRDHdu-U

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

inolen posted:

This is the whole fun with real stunting, there is a large technical side to it.

Ahaha, the hand flapping as the bike is chainsawing around is the funniest part. Pretty smooth getoff though, has she been hurt yet?

inolen
Dec 10, 2003

Phat_Albert posted:

Ahaha, the hand flapping as the bike is chainsawing around is the funniest part. Pretty smooth getoff though, has she been hurt yet?

Nothing serious, just a couple of scrapes and bruises. But she normally wears a fair amount of gear for doing idle wheelies in a parking lot in 100 degree heat.

inolen fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Jul 31, 2008

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

inolen posted:

That's a halerious video. Awesome to have your g/f stunting though. Maybe i'll convince mine to give it a shot when I one day buy a stuntbike.

Also, thoughts on the use of a handbrake in that video? And if it's not super secret, how do you pick your stunt spots?

Zenaida
Nov 13, 2004

Phat_Albert posted:

There is usually a small crane or winch setup to lift the bike out.

They did used to hurt themselves alot. I wonder who had the first great idea to fill a dumpster with foam blocks?

They still do hurt themselves a lot. I can't find the video of the guy overshooting the foam dumpster, but it's horrible, you don't want to see it anyway.

inolen
Dec 10, 2003

Z3n posted:

That's a halerious video. Awesome to have your g/f stunting though. Maybe i'll convince mine to give it a shot when I one day buy a stuntbike.

Also, thoughts on the use of a handbrake in that video? And if it's not super secret, how do you pick your stunt spots?

Handbrakes are only needed for tricks where you can't reach the footbrake. You should never use it for tricks where you can use the footbrake, or else you'll cripple yourself when it comes to doing tricks with your hands off the handlebars.

Some people have this conception that it'll be easier to learn than the footbrake, but it really isn't. I think it's harder to learn, as you have to learn to use 1 finger on the clutch and 1 on the handbrake, which just adds to the confusion when learning.

And spots, heh, anywhere without security/strong police presence.

bung
Dec 14, 2004

Phat_Albert posted:

I wonder who had the first great idea to fill a dumpster with foam blocks?

According to Pastrana, in this video, there are 41,000 of those blocks, at $1 a piece, in the bin.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Zenaida posted:

They still do hurt themselves a lot. I can't find the video of the guy overshooting the foam dumpster, but it's horrible, you don't want to see it anyway.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vGn82lsvGec

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

inolen posted:

Handbrakes are only needed for tricks where you can't reach the footbrake. You should never use it for tricks where you can use the footbrake, or else you'll cripple yourself when it comes to doing tricks with your hands off the handlebars.

Some people have this conception that it'll be easier to learn than the footbrake, but it really isn't. I think it's harder to learn, as you have to learn to use 1 finger on the clutch and 1 on the handbrake, which just adds to the confusion when learning.

And spots, heh, anywhere without security/strong police presence.

Interesting...learn something new every day! Thanks :)

bung
Dec 14, 2004

Trinity Trikes :aaaaa:

mutt2jeff
Oct 2, 2004
The one, the only....
Some pikes peak stuff.

Supermoto crash, listen to the audio after he crashes.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V1Z3veKrSjI

Why these guys are putting feet down during the paved section is beyond me.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d63rTOe3zCw

Anuv
Apr 4, 2008

by Fragmaster

bung posted:

Holy poo poo.

Modern Vagina
Oct 11, 2004

Who wants chowder?

bung posted:

I think they're on to something. Regular cars should come with air vents aimed right at your crotch:

I guess I'm still in shock from how cool that car-trike thing is.

In E/N news.... I got an SV650S yesterday.

The red zone is for red vehicles only.

I'm a big fan of that red on red on red look ("Soviet on Chinese on Republican" as a friend said). The Ninja 250 will have to go up for sale soon, since the red zone next to my parking spot is actually used by people moving in and out of the apartment complex. I'm sure the neighbors don't enjoy squeezing furniture/boxes/whatever past my toys. Sorry about that, neighbors. :/

mutt2jeff
Oct 2, 2004
The one, the only....
^^My god, its the ultimate A.I. goon. Miata, sv650, ninja 250. Are you here to lead us to the promised land?

Even the wheels match, and the black on all three.

ChiliMac
Apr 13, 2005

That's why I never kiss 'em on the mouth.

mutt2jeff posted:

^^My god, its the ultimate A.I. goon. Miata, sv650, ninja 250. Are you here to lead us to the promised land?

Even the wheels match, and the black on all three.

gently caress, I've finally been ousted--I thought I was the only one with an Sv650 and a Miata :(

And my miata/sv don't match. Goddamnit modern vagina.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

mutt2jeff posted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d63rTOe3zCw
That's just how the motards seem to do it.

Fast Husaberg
Christian Iddon sliding a supermoto

laymil
Sep 13, 2005

so it goes...

Modern Vagina posted:

I think they're on to something. Regular cars should come with air vents aimed right at your crotch:

A lot of cars do.

GI Joe jobs
Jun 25, 2005

🎅🤜🤛👷
R1 Enduro

This guy is crazy. That bike has to be so worn out. 2:40 is ridiculous, why didn't he just go around the puddle?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

mutt2jeff posted:

Same reason you put your foot down anywhere else, or why road racers drag a knee...lean angle gauge and you can save slides on your it on your knee/foot.