Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

17thEngineer posted:

The dirty jobs episode was amazing, I did however get the feeling that this was the one time that he was actually genuinely uncomfortable with the job and the work conditions. Guess he just really doesn't like being cold.

This would be the second time; he previously said that the only time he seriously considered walking off a job was when he went noodling, after the other guys there showed off their scars and missing fingers from being bitten by snapping turtles and poo poo like that.

That said, I would watch an hour-long show of Mike Rowe reading tax codes. Man-crush confirmed and unashamed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Martytoof posted:

Yeah, I don't necessarily want to see him anchoring on CNN or anything, although I'm sure he'd do a loving fantastic job.

Anderson Cooper pulled if off. I don't see why Mike Rowe couldn't.

Brick Hardmeat
May 16, 2005

I left Shark Week running in the background while doing chores, and I just caught there's a ghost hunter show on.

Why the gently caress is this poo poo on a pseudo-educational channel?

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

IRQ posted:

Anderson Cooper pulled if off. I don't see why Mike Rowe couldn't.

I'm not saying he couldn't, I'm saying I wouldn't want him to :)

Brick Hardmeat
May 16, 2005

Martytoof posted:

I'm not saying he couldn't, I'm saying I wouldn't want him to :)

Mike Rowe's job is to become the next Richard Attenborough. He will narrate everything and the world will be beautiful because of it.

I could listen to him narrate my own horrible mutilation and be soothed in a warm and cozy state of bliss.

17thEngineer
Jun 14, 2007

"Deceive to defeat!"

Brick Hardmeat posted:

You must be getting a different Discovery Channel then me if this surprises you. Their edutainment scale has tipped to the entertainment side a long long time ago.

Anyway, I just watched some of Mike's QVC stints on youtube. I can't believe that he remains entertaining to watch, even when he's selling a lavalamp.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

I fully understand the man crushes for Mike Rowe, but I'm not witnessing many females crushing on Mike Rowe. That's kind of strange and concerning.

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything

The Human Crouton posted:

I fully understand the man crushes for Mike Rowe, but I'm not witnessing many females crushing on Mike Rowe. That's kind of strange and concerning.

Mike Rowe is just about the epitome of man, so by that he is clearly far too much man for a woman to handle.

Besides his wife of course.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC

The Human Crouton posted:

Search the internet for Mike Rowe slashfic. If it doesn't exist, then your concerns are valid.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Brick Hardmeat posted:

I left Shark Week running in the background while doing chores, and I just caught there's a ghost hunter show on.

Because EVERY niche channel will succumb to the ratings beast in the end. I remember when the Sci-Fi Channel didn't suck rear end (BSG is the exception). They show wrestling for god's sake!

The Game Show Network (now GSN) used to show those hilarious 70s game shows, and now it's loving poker.

Bravo, AMC, and many others have dropped dramatically in quality.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

ToastyPotato posted:

Search the internet for Mike Rowe slashfic. If it doesn't exist, then your concerns are valid.

I didn't find any actual examples, but the wheels are turning. :gonk:

Brick Hardmeat
May 16, 2005

17thEngineer posted:

You must be getting a different Discovery Channel then me if this surprises you. Their edutainment scale has tipped to the entertainment side a long long time ago.

Even if you jump through some major logic hoops, Mythbusters, Dirty Jobs, Deadliest Catch, etc. at LEAST have a theme of "this is kinda science... and it happens in the real world."

Ghost hunting... not so much.

I mean yeah, we're far from Discovery being the educational channel it once was.
TLC is now only about midgets and fat fucks.
AMC (the C is for "Classics" ) runs Catwoman and Pinata: Survival Island all the time.
Animal Planet runs those horrible FOX "When Animals Attack" shows
And, the worst sin of all, Discovery Health is cutting back on the awesome surgery shows and running more poo poo about babies and whatever the gently caress.

But seriously, ghost hunting on Discovery?

Why not run Irreversible uncut on ABC Family if you're gonna go that far off the path of the channel is kinda vaguely for.

Plus, it's loving Shark Week. So unless the ghost being hunted is a shark ghost, which would be awesome, get it out of here.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I remember when TLC ran Connections

That was the show that got me hooked on edu tv :)

IndieRockLance
Jan 29, 2003

The devourer of worlds demands a Moon Pie to satiate his hunger!

Brick Hardmeat posted:

I mean yeah, we're far from Discovery being the educational channel it once was.
TLC is now only about midgets and fat fucks.
AMC (the C is for "Classics" ) runs Catwoman and Pinata: Survival Island all the time.

AMC changed its format in 2002 and now the letters don't actually mean anything.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

IndieRockLance posted:

AMC changed its format in 2002 and now the letters don't actually mean anything.

And Breaking Bad is such an awesome show that anyone pissed that they do something other than air ancient movies now can gently caress right off.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Another favourite oldie of mine from TLC, the Secret Life of Machines, is available to watch online jesus christ YES :monocle:

http://www.exploratorium.edu/ronh/SLOM/

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

IRQ posted:

And Breaking Bad is such an awesome show that anyone pissed that they do something other than air ancient movies now can gently caress right off.

No, but they could be a little classier about it. The whole loving point of cable was to have lots of channels that cater to special interests instead of a few general broadcast smorgasbords, but now we're just ending up with lots of little smorgasbords trying to get the big broadcast demographics they were created to get away from in the first place.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

McSpanky posted:

No, but they could be a little classier about it. The whole loving point of cable was to have lots of channels that cater to special interests instead of a few general broadcast smorgasbords, but now we're just ending up with lots of little smorgasbords trying to get the big broadcast demographics they were created to get away from in the first place.

On the flip side of that, AMC took a huge chance airing something like Breaking Bad, which no other network would touch. Cable networks being brave with what they will air had brought us a lot of shows that would never have seen the light of day otherwise. Breaking Bad, Burn Notice, Battlestar Galactica. I know there's more I can't think of off the top of my head, or that I don't watch personally, but the recent willingness of cable to pick up shows that would never fly on network tv is a good thing.

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!
The networks are a bit less stuffy in Canada (I saw a comic say 'lovely' on the CBC in the 8:30 timeslot today) but we still wouldn't have been blessed with Trailer Park Boys if it wasn't for specialty cable.

Aero737
Apr 30, 2006
It seems that Discovery pushes most of the general science programs off to their more specific channels (Discovery Wings, Military, or Science Channels) and leave the Discovery for the entertainment shows. Probably because most cable TV networks have discovery but not the others. Same thing is happening with the History Channel.

Kind of sucks when I want to see something good and it's some ghosthunter show or UFO hunters instead of How It's Made or Modern Marvels.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Aero737 posted:

It seems that Discovery pushes most of the general science programs off to their more specific channels (Discovery Wings, Military, or Science Channels) and leave the Discovery for the entertainment shows. Probably because most cable TV networks have discovery but not the others. Same thing is happening with the History Channel.

Kind of sucks when I want to see something good and it's some ghosthunter show or UFO hunters instead of How It's Made or Modern Marvels.

What the hell I don't get Wings! Military is owned by History though.

That being said, I really am fearful that channels like History, and Science, and National Geographic (which is being called NatGeo in commercials now and has gotten its own DANGEROUS JOB show in LA Hardhats) are gonna go the way of TechTV.

I wish I knew about the business of cable networks. I guess it was wishful thinking that subscriptions and whatever commercials they showed would be enough to let them show the most niche educational stuff forever.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Wings used to have this fantastic show about building your own kit plane. I watched the gently caress out of that and never wanted to be a pilot more than I did then.

the-jam
May 20, 2003

Kick Out the MC5

ToastyPotato posted:

What the hell I don't get Wings! Military is owned by History though.

That being said, I really am fearful that channels like History, and Science, and National Geographic (which is being called NatGeo in commercials now and has gotten its own DANGEROUS JOB show in LA Hardhats) are gonna go the way of TechTV.

I wish I knew about the business of cable networks. I guess it was wishful thinking that subscriptions and whatever commercials they showed would be enough to let them show the most niche educational stuff forever.
The Military Channel is owned by Discovery. The Military History Channel is owned by A&E (ie History). Yes, they are two seperate networks.

The niche channels are going to the special packages you have to pay more for. I pay like $12 a month to get a bunch of them and could pay $4 more to get even more specialized ones but I don't have time to watch that many channels. It makes sense since in order to make them profitable they have to charge higher per subscriber carriage fees to the cable companies. The cable companies don't want to raise rates for everyone that doesn't want those channels so they put them in a package and charge extra.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
As long as NatGeo keeps running Taboo I'll be happy. That show is so hosed up.

Also, a Mike Rowe travel show would be amazing. Have him and Anthony Bourdain just go gently caress around together and watch the viewers roll in.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

Martytoof posted:

Wings used to have this fantastic show about building your own kit plane. I watched the gently caress out of that and never wanted to be a pilot more than I did then.

Was that "A Plane is Born" with Mark Evans? I enjoyed all of his "...is Born" series.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Mister Kingdom posted:

Was that "A Plane is Born" with Mark Evans? I enjoyed all of his "...is Born" series.

I honestly don't remember the show, but it had a real hobbyist DIY feel to it and I think it had other aviation stuff like product reviews so unless all his other .. is born stuff was aviation specific I think it was another show.

Edit: After a bit of googling I may be wrong -- I think it may actually have been "A Plane is Born" :shobon:

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Aug 2, 2008

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

Martytoof posted:

I honestly don't remember the show, but it had a real hobbyist DIY feel to it and I think it had other aviation stuff like product reviews so unless all his other .. is born stuff was aviation specific I think it was another show.

Edit: After a bit of googling I may be wrong -- I think it may actually have been "A Plane is Born" :shobon:

He built a helicopter, too, but his other shows were car related.

Chef Tony
Jun 13, 2005

The Miracle Blade will stay sharp the first time, the fourth time, everytime!
I think if Dirty Jobs ever gets canned, Mike Rowe should do something along the lines of Travel Sick.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

I saw this show hosted by William Shatner on Discovery Science about how long-term space travel is actually rather inglorious when you get down to the brass tacks of it. Astronauts who spend more than a few weeks in space tend to conserve their limited water supply fiercely, which leads to, shall we say, relaxed bathing standards, not to mention that much of the water is recycled from filtered urine. The cramped quarters can get things pretty hot as well, and you have to deal with not making a mess when eating and relieving yourself in zero-G, and living on a fairly strict schedule to make sure everything in your incredibly expensive missions gets done on time. Along with bone density loss, constant lack of sleep (which scientists currently have no explanation for) and constant exercises to keep those weight-bearing muscles good enough to handle the transition back to Earth standard gravity, it's actually kind of crappy when you think about it. Oh yeah, and astronauts in EVA wear adult diapers since those excursions often last 5-7 hours at a pop, and although nobody's been seriously injured or died during one so far, it's still among the most dangerous activities around due to the extreme isolation and vacuum environment.

In short, living on a space station is a dirty job. It's time to go where no Rowe has gone before: we have to send Dirty Jobs to OUTER SPACE :patriot:

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

McSpanky posted:

I saw this show hosted by William Shatner on Discovery Science about how long-term space travel is actually rather inglorious when you get down to the brass tacks of it. Astronauts who spend more than a few weeks in space tend to conserve their limited water supply fiercely, which leads to, shall we say, relaxed bathing standards, not to mention that much of the water is recycled from filtered urine. The cramped quarters can get things pretty hot as well, and you have to deal with not making a mess when eating and relieving yourself in zero-G, and living on a fairly strict schedule to make sure everything in your incredibly expensive missions gets done on time. Along with bone density loss, constant lack of sleep (which scientists currently have no explanation for) and constant exercises to keep those weight-bearing muscles good enough to handle the transition back to Earth standard gravity, it's actually kind of crappy when you think about it. Oh yeah, and astronauts in EVA wear adult diapers since those excursions often last 5-7 hours at a pop, and although nobody's been seriously injured or died during one so far, it's still among the most dangerous activities around due to the extreme isolation and vacuum environment.

In short, living on a space station is a dirty job. It's time to go where no Rowe has gone before: we have to send Dirty Jobs to OUTER SPACE :patriot:

I wouldn't want him to risk his life up there. :smith: Besides, the DJ crew is every bit a part of the show as he is at this point, and there just isn't enough room up there for all of them I don't think.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

McSpanky posted:

I saw this show hosted by William Shatner on Discovery Science about how long-term space travel is actually rather inglorious when you get down to the brass tacks of it. Astronauts who spend more than a few weeks in space tend to conserve their limited water supply fiercely, which leads to, shall we say, relaxed bathing standards

Well it's not as if they could take a shower in zero G anyway. I always thought they used baby wipes like forward deployed soldiers do.

How much as the Russians asking for a ticket up there these days? Maybe they can raise enough cash to send Bear Grylls up there too so he can show us how being butt naked in the vacuum of space is very unsafe and how to drink your own pee should you become thirsty while you are doing so.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

IRQ posted:

Well it's not as if they could take a shower in zero G anyway. I always thought they used baby wipes like forward deployed soldiers do.

I think it's a combination of that and some kind of spongebath thing in a sealed chamber.

Free Market Gravy
Sep 17, 2005

Chef Tony posted:

I think if Dirty Jobs ever gets canned, Mike Rowe should do something along the lines of Travel Sick.

There's an endless well of work for Rowe in not only voiceovers but hosting shows like No Reservations, where all he has to do is travel, do/eat/experience weird poo poo and be a charmingly smarmy and lovably assholish host.

I cannot, for the life of me, imagine him doing anything where his lines are scripted. I'm sure he could do it, but it wouldn't be nearly as entertaining.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I forget, when Mike and his crew filmed their cruise, did they have Mike do any dirty job aboard or was it strictly just flashbacks?

I thought they were hilarious on the ship and I would easily watch thirty minutes to an hour a week of those guys just shooting the poo poo in Rome or Tokyo.

Women's Rights?
Nov 16, 2005

Ain't give a damn

Martytoof posted:

I forget, when Mike and his crew filmed their cruise, did they have Mike do any dirty job aboard or was it strictly just flashbacks?

I thought they were hilarious on the ship and I would easily watch thirty minutes to an hour a week of those guys just shooting the poo poo in Rome or Tokyo.

It was just flashbacks, they didn't do anything on the cruise except get massages, eat a lot of steak, and go ice skating.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Martytoof posted:

I remember when TLC ran Connections

That was the show that got me hooked on edu tv :)

Connections ruled. Someone needs to update it for "modern" times.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Free Market Gravy posted:

I cannot, for the life of me, imagine him doing anything where his lines are scripted. I'm sure he could do it, but it wouldn't be nearly as entertaining.

Clearly, this can only mean one thing.

The world's first improv news anchor.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

redshirt posted:

Connections ruled. Someone needs to update it for "modern" times.

Hosted by Mike Rowe :swoon:

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

You know, I just realized that How it's Made would actually be a lot better if Rowe narrated it and who ever provided background music for DJ worked on it as well. DJ has had plenty of mini How its Made sections.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Mike on How It's Made would be a godsend, especially for those of us watching the Canadian broadcast with its ten different narrators -- none of which have any personality whatsoever, and that one human being that actually hosted it on-screen for a season or so.

But don't you dare change the elevator muzak <:mad:>

• Locked thread