Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eight Is Legend
Jan 2, 2008
Norma Jean's new album The Anti-Mother is currently streaming on MySpace - if you dug Redeemer, you're probably gonna love this as well. The lead singer from Deftones is featured on the track Surrender Your Sons, btw.

http://www.myspace.com/normajean

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fiveace Attorney
Dec 12, 2006

I ain't his friend! If you were to ask me if I was his friend, I would say "NO" to you!
People dug Redeemer?

Someone should tell Norma Jean they have the worst album covers ever as well. The new one isn't as bad as Redeemer but it's still pretty awful.

Eight Is Legend
Jan 2, 2008

SubtleDagger posted:

People dug Redeemer?

Someone should tell Norma Jean they have the worst album covers ever as well. The new one isn't as bad as Redeemer but it's still pretty awful.

I liked it. And what are you talking about, Norma Jean have some sick cover art.

WashinMyGoat
Jan 15, 2002

Dorepoll posted:

Their website says that they released a self titled EP last week. It's on the US Amazon and iTunes store. Which sucks for me because I am in Australia.

Their website was https://www.thefalconisbiggerthanjesus.com but it seems to be down now. I too think you have the wrong band named after the same bird.

Besson
Apr 20, 2006

To the sun's savage brightness he exposed the dark and secret surface of his retinas, so that by burning the memory of vengeance might be preserved, and never perish.

gerfatty posted:

I just looked at those places. There's a band called Falcon. Not The Falcon. And they released a new EP. That's not very good. Yeeaaaah...

My hopes were all up...

My bad. Consider me disappointed as well.

Iridox
Feb 5, 2004

Speaking of Brendan Kelly, he has a blog now. The dude is loving hilarious.

Besson
Apr 20, 2006

To the sun's savage brightness he exposed the dark and secret surface of his retinas, so that by burning the memory of vengeance might be preserved, and never perish.

Iridox posted:

Speaking of Brendan Kelly, he has a blog now. The dude is loving hilarious.

That was a very funny read. Thanks for the link.

Your Weird Uncle
Jan 16, 2006
Boneless Rusto Thrash.

Wizard Mannequin posted:

Man, I hate when bands I like play with LoC. I don't even dislike them so much, but the fans suck a lot.

But, I guess its worth it for Magrudergrind/Witchhunt/Mischief Brew

I went to this show, moshed during magrudergrind and then went to the hospital haha.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

SubtleDagger posted:

People dug Redeemer?

I thought the cover of Redeemer was great. I also happen to love the album :sweatdrop:

acup
Sep 11, 2001

Let's start talking about punk bands again and not lovely metalcore.

I just saw on Ambitions' myspace that they're breaking up. That loving blows.

zeldadude
Nov 24, 2004

OH SNAP!

acup posted:

Let's start talking about punk bands again and not lovely metalcore.

I just saw on Ambitions' myspace that they're breaking up. That loving blows.

I was at their second to last show so it's all good :shobon:

They were incredibly good. Sucks.

acup
Sep 11, 2001

zeldadude posted:

I was at their second to last show so it's all good :shobon:

They were incredibly good. Sucks.

Do you have any idea why they are breaking up?

FreddyJackieTurner
May 15, 2008

Any recommendations for somebody who loves all stuff the guys from the Crack Rock Steady put out, basically ska stuff with a lot harder edge?

mrmanatee
Jun 22, 2006

Positive outlook

Your Weird Uncle posted:

I went to this show, moshed during magrudergrind and then went to the hospital haha.

I did this too, sans hospital. That was the biggest punk show I've ever been to. Also the night before that, Joe Jack Talcum in a basement. Seeing people get that pumped for a tiny man playing Punk Rock Girl was pretty wacky.

Eight Is Legend
Jan 2, 2008

Inspector_71 posted:

I thought the cover of Redeemer was great. I also happen to love the album :sweatdrop:

Did you check out the stream of their new album yet? Interested in hearing what you think about it.

Your Weird Uncle
Jan 16, 2006
Boneless Rusto Thrash.

mrmanatee posted:

I did this too, sans hospital. That was the biggest punk show I've ever been to. Also the night before that, Joe Jack Talcum in a basement. Seeing people get that pumped for a tiny man playing Punk Rock Girl was pretty wacky.

i might've jumped onto you. during the band before them (max and the musnrmtjhyjrg?!!?) me and my friends were just totally making fun of knee-jerk moshers (it's not like you HAVE to do it guys.)

also: the dudes from No Ca$H were spanging outside and my girlfriend bummed a cigarette off one of them. no ca$h kinda sucked but they were okay dudes.

zeldadude
Nov 24, 2004

OH SNAP!
What are some bands like Blood for Blood? I seriously cannot think of any.

Wisdom in Chains probably, that's all I can think of.

EvilRobot
Sep 27, 2001

Punks Is Hippies

zeldadude posted:

What are some bands like Blood for Blood? I seriously cannot think of any.

Wisdom in Chains probably, that's all I can think of.

Sheer Terror. Not to talk poo poo, but Blood For Blood totally took notes from Sheer Terror.

Skullthrone
Jun 18, 2008

by elpintogrande
Rise Against, Alkaline Trio, Thrice and Gaslight Anthem are playing in Denver in November. I plan on going, but can anyone tell me what kind of show those bands put on? I like RA, Thrice and Alkaline Trio, for what it's worth. Do they have a good stage presence?

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

IT'S YOUR BOY JESUS, MANE

Skullthrone posted:

Rise Against, Alkaline Trio, Thrice and Gaslight Anthem are playing in Denver in November. I plan on going, but can anyone tell me what kind of show those bands put on? I like RA, Thrice and Alkaline Trio, for what it's worth. Do they have a good stage presence?

Thrice get mixed results depending on the show, but apparently the new stuff is awesome. And if the .orgers from Punknews are right, you won't be disappointed with Gaslight Anthem.

Fiveace Attorney
Dec 12, 2006

I ain't his friend! If you were to ask me if I was his friend, I would say "NO" to you!

Parachute Underwear posted:

Thrice get mixed results depending on the show, but apparently the new stuff is awesome. And if the .orgers from Punknews are right, you won't be disappointed with Gaslight Anthem.
Actually Thrice's last album is probably their worst in my opinion, but I think that's just because they were playing out their limited concept idea. They're still one of the best bands out there.

gerfatty
Sep 14, 2007
What's so wrong with being a punk rock faggot hippy, anyway?

Skullthrone posted:

For me, Alkaline Trio shows purely depend on the material they play. If they're playing songs off of Goddamnit, any songs at all, then it's totally worth it. I'm not a huge fan of Gaslight Anthem, but I like them and I hear that their live show is about a million times better than their records. From what I understand, they're one of those bands that you don't really become a big fan of until you've seen them.

Your Weird Uncle
Jan 16, 2006
Boneless Rusto Thrash.
so when discussing girl-fronted bands no one mentioned nausea huh

rivals
Apr 5, 2004

REBIRTH OF HARDCORE PRIDE!
Following around the Phoenix Bodies/La Quiete tour right now. They are playing a house show and a bar show tonight (house show with Ghostlimb and bar show with Gorlock) and then another one somewhere down here in southern California tomorrow that I'll be at. loving stoked.

The Gilman Portraits Of Past show ruled except for the whole Yaphet Kotto not playing thing. Apparently there was some drama with one of them being drunk so they wouldn't let him play or something I don't know.

Wednesday the 6th ...Who Calls So Loud is playing on my radio show so tune in at 10PM PST on kcpr.org to check it out. You can stream it live and listen to it and poo poo so I suggest you do since it will rule. I'm pissed about that date because loving Punch just posted that they are playing a house show with Marrow that night who I still haven't seen. gently caress. Oh well, it will be my first WCSL show so I'm pumped for that.

Also not relevant to this thread at all but I saw Boris and Torche play last night in LA and holy poo poo it ruled. Boris is easily the loudest band I've ever seen play and I forgot my earplugs so my ears are hosed. Worth it.

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

SubtleDagger posted:

Actually Thrice's last album is probably their worst in my opinion, but I think that's just because they were playing out their limited concept idea. They're still one of the best bands out there.

I dunno, I think Dustin's a great lyricist (except for the Fire album, which seemed very contrived) v:shobon:v

Plus, they covered Frodus on Earth.

Grigori Rasputin
Aug 21, 2000
WE DON'T NEED ROME TELLING US WHAT TO DO

rivals posted:

Following around the Phoenix Bodies/La Quiete tour right now. They are playing a house show and a bar show tonight (house show with Ghostlimb and bar show with Gorlock) and then another one somewhere down here in southern California tomorrow that I'll be at. loving stoked.

The Gilman Portraits Of Past show ruled except for the whole Yaphet Kotto not playing thing. Apparently there was some drama with one of them being drunk so they wouldn't let him play or something I don't know.

Wednesday the 6th ...Who Calls So Loud is playing on my radio show so tune in at 10PM PST on kcpr.org to check it out. You can stream it live and listen to it and poo poo so I suggest you do since it will rule. I'm pissed about that date because loving Punch just posted that they are playing a house show with Marrow that night who I still haven't seen. gently caress. Oh well, it will be my first WCSL show so I'm pumped for that.

Also not relevant to this thread at all but I saw Boris and Torche play last night in LA and holy poo poo it ruled. Boris is easily the loudest band I've ever seen play and I forgot my earplugs so my ears are hosed. Worth it.

Ahhhhh nice. I was weighing between seeing Portraits of the Past in Berkeley or Boris/Torche in SF and went to neither.

I saw Harvey Milk twice last week though and both shows were great. I was sick and went to Great American Music Hall only to find out the next day that they were playing a last minute show a few blocks from my house.

I would rather talk about Boris/Torche/etc than Norma Jean or whatever else, that's for sure.

A few good shows coming up at Gilman this month - Mischief Brew, Appalachian Terror Unit and hosed Up. Gonna have to do a full-on parsing of the List again, it's been awhile.

rivals
Apr 5, 2004

I'll probably go up to see hosed Up, what's the date on that?

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Eight Is Legend posted:

Did you check out the stream of their new album yet? Interested in hearing what you think about it.

Yeah, I've heard the new one. I'm not too impressed with it, but I loathed Redeemer when I first heard it, so we'll see what happens.

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything
It Dies Today has a new album coming out in the fall apparently, and they have a new song called 'Thank You for Drinking' (which has a pretty sweet breakdown towards the end) on their MySpace page.

http://www.myspace.com/itdiestoday

I really, really like these guys and I have no idea why.

Grigori Rasputin
Aug 21, 2000
WE DON'T NEED ROME TELLING US WHAT TO DO

rivals posted:

I'll probably go up to see hosed Up, what's the date on that?

8.31.08 - Sunday
hosed UP
The Strange Boys
Crystal Antlers
+ TBA

rivals
Apr 5, 2004

Rad thanks. Definitely before I start school so I'll try to make it up.

Fiveace Attorney
Dec 12, 2006

I dunno, I think Dustin's a great lyricist (except for the Fire album, which seemed very contrived) v:shobon:v

Plus, they covered Frodus on Earth.
He is a great lyricist but Air sounds like indie-pop and Earth sounds like B-sides from his acoustic work aside from the Frodus cover (which rules).

Fire and Water were awesome, that and Vheissu are kind of tied as their best album for me.

Also I ended up missing the PoP show at Gilman bleeeehgh

DoHimJob
Nov 30, 2005

GIANT SPACEBALL

rivals posted:

FUUUUUUCK, I FORGOT ABOUT THE BORIS SHOW. GOD loving DAMMIT.

In other news, mischief brew is playing here pretty soon and i'm pretty stoked for that.

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

SubtleDagger posted:

He is a great lyricist but Air sounds like indie-pop and Earth sounds like B-sides from his acoustic work aside from the Frodus cover (which rules).

Fire and Water were awesome, that and Vheissu are kind of tied as their best album for me.

I liked Vheissu at the beginning, but then when I listened to it a few years later I realized how genius that album is. I'm pretty sure it's a huge metaphor about the bible or something too, but whatever.

Say what you will about Air, but Daedelus is the best song. :colbert:

gerfatty
Sep 14, 2007
What's so wrong with being a punk rock faggot hippy, anyway?

RunTo TheHills posted:

FUUUUUUCK, I FORGOT ABOUT THE BORIS SHOW. GOD loving DAMMIT.

In other news, mischief brew is playing here pretty soon and i'm pretty stoked for that.

Oh poo poo. Nice miss.

Also, thanks for reminding me about the Mischief Brew show. See you there.

Lusy
Oct 1, 2005
I'm a guy

punxnbutter posted:

I got my hands on this and it's waaaay up there for the year. Anything Paddy touches (or in this case used to be close to) is gold. Now if only D4 would put out a new record too

I'm pretty sure they're recording in September.

I'm seeing ADD/C, This Bike is a Pipebomb and Future Virgins in Knoxville tomorrow. I'm totally stoked because I've been trying to see ADD/C for a few years now and something always fucks up.

Fiveace Attorney
Dec 12, 2006

I liked Vheissu at the beginning, but then when I listened to it a few years later I realized how genius that album is. I'm pretty sure it's a huge metaphor about the bible or something too, but whatever.

Say what you will about Air, but Daedelus is the best song. :colbert:
I hate any song Dustin writes about that theme any more, he's written too many. See You in the Shallows, Melting Point of Wax, Stare at the Sun and Daedalus are all basically the same poo poo.

Vheissu isn't about the Bible, Moths to Flame is about Judas betraying Jesus but everything else on that album has no relation to Christianity. Jesus-freaks love to act like they're a Christian rock act and all the other songs are about poo poo they're not though.

/random Thrice derail

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

SubtleDagger posted:

I hate any song Dustin writes about that theme any more, he's written too many. See You in the Shallows, Melting Point of Wax, Stare at the Sun and Daedalus are all basically the same poo poo.

Vheissu isn't about the Bible, Moths to Flame is about Judas betraying Jesus but everything else on that album has no relation to Christianity. Jesus-freaks love to act like they're a Christian rock act and all the other songs are about poo poo they're not though.

/random Thrice derail

Blame my stoned idiosyncrasies then :v: I'm not a Christian or anything.

Fiveace Attorney
Dec 12, 2006

Ha, it's cool. I love Thrice way too much so I sound uppity when I talk about them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skullthrone
Jun 18, 2008

by elpintogrande

SubtleDagger posted:

Ha, it's cool. I love Thrice way too much so I sound uppity when I talk about them.

Do you think they confuse Dustin's solo stuff with the songs he writes when he's working on Thrice material? I noticed his solo album was a little more spiritually oriented than any of Thrice's albums.