Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lemon Groove
Feb 19, 2008

Ive seen some awful smacks,
and its always a woman,
yapping away there.
Hey could anyone tell me how to go about isolating tracks from songs. Also, is it possible to do this using ableton live or sonar 7? I'm new at this and any help or suggestions would be great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Fog
Oct 10, 2004

-I spent the whole day trying to pull a peanut from that heater vent. Turns out it was just a moth. -How was it? -Dry.

Lemon Groove posted:

Hey could anyone tell me how to go about isolating tracks from songs. Also, is it possible to do this using ableton live or sonar 7? I'm new at this and any help or suggestions would be great.

You can't! :(
You can _sometimes_ extract some parts, but that's the exception, not the rule. Usually it's acapellas that are extracted. There's a good guide on acapella extraction on YouTube.
HTH

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe
Remixers get the vocals or track parts from the artist/studio themselves and aren't allowed to hand 'm out. Some of 'm leak, though.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jFCjv4_jqAY this won't do the job for you either (well, it can do it but the sound quality will suffer and it depends on the separation of the instruments).

Solution: get the sheet music or learn to listen and transcribe.

Terrible Horse
Apr 27, 2004
:I
Or plan your remixes around the parts you can get. Not useful if you just want to do the original song with a fat bassline or whatever, but you can make cool sounding stuff if you take a bar of the chorus and turn it into a filtered swell, etc.

nah thanks
Jun 18, 2004

Take me out.
So my micrkontrol randomly stopped working with Reason. It works fine with everything else, and midikeys works fine with Reason so Reason still accepts midi commands, but the microkontrol just refuses to work with Reason. No clue why, and I've double checked that everything is set up right in the control surfaces dialog (including deleting it and rescanning).

Any ideas? Did I just trip some option I don't know about or something?

EDIT: Oops I had changed the MIDI channel on the microkontrol when I was using it with my EMX, and I hadn't turned it back to channel 01. Apparently Reason didn't appreciate that.

nah thanks fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Jul 31, 2008

modernlifeisadam
Dec 29, 2006
I'm more into producing hiphop beats with FL studios, and there's a few problems I run into along the way, usually. One is, I've seen you guys mention "beef up your kicks" or snares, but I really have no idea how to do this, and it'd be nice if someone could give me a few helpful hints. 2, can anyone link to any site that has a lot of free drum sounds? The sites I do have have lovely ones, or ones I'm not really looking for, too "real" sounding, I've been looking for decent electronic sounding drums for awhile. If anyone could help, thanks a lot.

hexa
Dec 10, 2004

And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom

modernlifeisadam posted:

One is, I've seen you guys mention "beef up your kicks" or snares, but I really have no idea how to do this, and it'd be nice if someone could give me a few helpful hints.

Layer sounds - use different samples for one drum beat and then shape the sound from that. So with a snare you might use 3 samples, one for the initial hit, one for the "crack" and one for the "crunch". Sorry I can't be more technical there :v:

Then use compression and a little reverb to give the loop some life.

Personal request too - I've just picked up a Korg Electribe MX and I'm having fun without while working out what I can do. Just wondering if anyone has one/has used one and if they had any tips or pointers?

modernlifeisadam
Dec 29, 2006

glitchkrieg posted:

Layer sounds - use different samples for one drum beat and then shape the sound from that. So with a snare you might use 3 samples, one for the initial hit, one for the "crack" and one for the "crunch". Sorry I can't be more technical there :v:

Then use compression and a little reverb to give the loop some life.

Personal request too - I've just picked up a Korg Electribe MX and I'm having fun without while working out what I can do. Just wondering if anyone has one/has used one and if they had any tips or pointers?

Thanks a lot, man. But actually another question, anyone familiar with the VST Albino, how the hell can I take some reverb OFF of a particular preset, the whole VST is completely greek to me.;/

maximadigital
Jul 24, 2008

semi-iconic

modernlifeisadam posted:

anyone familiar with the VST Albino, how the hell can I take some reverb OFF of a particular preset, the whole VST is completely greek to me.;/
RTFM? ;) Anyhow, the four effects units are at the bottom left. Click through them to find the reverb (usually the last active one) and adjust the wet/dry ratio accordingly.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

modernlifeisadam posted:

but I really have no idea how to do this
At the point of duh, obvious - make sure the rest of the track stays the gently caress away from that frequency range.

quote:

to any site that has a lot of free drum sounds
If everything free sucks, just buy a sample CD. They aren't that expensive. Alternatively: http://www.paradigmx.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=71&Itemid=55 > and start cutting these things up in bits.

http://www.ueberschall.com/
http://www.zero-g.co.uk/

ManoliIsFat
Oct 4, 2002

glitchkrieg posted:

Improvising with it is really the best way to into it. Just program a beat as you go, wail on the arpegiator and loop some of your better stuff. I love messing with the lfo speed on the pitch of a synth. You can make so gnarly, acidy jams with that poo poo.

oredun
Apr 12, 2007
the delays on electribes are awesome, i melted mine and i really just miss the delay

Elder
Oct 19, 2004

It's the Evolution Revolution.
What's the best MIDI routing software these days? Free or otherwise. Thanks!

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe
What do you mean by "routing"? As in, you have a bunch of MIDI devices, a MIDI interface, and you want to connect port X to Y?

modernlifeisadam
Dec 29, 2006
What's your guys' opinion on the Addictive Drums VST? Does anyone here use it with any sort of frequency?

Actually, what VST would you guys recommend that will let me get a good electronic drum sound, because everything in the AD VST just sounds way too acoustic

modernlifeisadam fucked around with this message at 11:26 on Aug 2, 2008

Elder
Oct 19, 2004

Yoozer posted:

What do you mean by "routing"? As in, you have a bunch of MIDI devices, a MIDI interface, and you want to connect port X to Y?

I need to route MIDI data on my PC, internally. I know macs do this natively, but I need a program like MIDI Yoke or MIDI ox and I was just wondering which one is the best right now.

More specifically, I'm using Bomes MIDI Translator and I need to send the MIDI data to Ableton.

Elder fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Aug 2, 2008

breaks
May 12, 2001

I use Maple, it doesn't work for 64-bit Windows though, so it's no use if you're using v64/xp64.

http://www.hurchalla.com/Maple_driver.html

Elder
Oct 19, 2004

Thanks, I'll give it a shot.

nah thanks
Jun 18, 2004

Take me out.
So I downloaded a set of 8 bit refills for Reason a while ago, and I just rediscovered them while working on a song. Combining the samples with more traditional synths is sounding absolutely wicked. The sounds are so fun that I've started to look into 8 bit synths and trackers, and I've pretty much settled on getting Nanoloop or LSDJ since I already own the hardware.

Anyone have any familiar with these sequencers? What's better or worse about each? Any good alternatives? A lot of what I've read isn't particularly helpful, but I'm leaning towards Nanoloop because it has a nice looking interface and I'm not particularly familiar with trackers. However, I don't necessarily want to limit myself in terms of what I can do given the cost of a cartridge, and what I've read has mentioned that Nanoloop is a bit limited compared to LSDJ.

EDIT: Also, has anyone used NitroTracker? The ability to transmit MIDI over wifi is intriguing.

nah thanks fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Aug 5, 2008

IanTheM
May 22, 2007
He came from across the Atlantic. . .
So it's the peak of summer, what have you guys come up with in your (hopefully) free time?

I've been working away at this house track, and hope to have more experiments well on the way.

Vanmani
Jul 2, 2007
Who needs title text, anyway?

squidgee posted:

So I downloaded a set of 8 bit refills for Reason a while ago, and I just rediscovered them while working on a song. Combining the samples with more traditional synths is sounding absolutely wicked. The sounds are so fun that I've started to look into 8 bit synths and trackers, and I've pretty much settled on getting Nanoloop or LSDJ since I already own the hardware.

I can't really help you I'm afraid, but can I ask what the 8 bit refills were, and if they're free? I've been wanting some decent ones.

thewaablah
Sep 8, 2004

Stay down bitch
This is a crosspost from another music board. I'm having a problem setting up Live with a Korg KONTROL49.

quote:

So i'm trying to move into creating my own music now with a different DAW. Got myself a Korg Kontrol49 controller and Ableton Live 7 as well as this book. Been reading through everything that I can find to get this all setup and working, book, manual, korg forums & ableton forums.

I've got Vista Ultimate 64 bit running and the Kontrol49 connected via USB as an FYI.

The Korg software comes with an editor library and a scene set for live. I was able to load the scene set and push it to the Kontrol49. Above the Tempo light it now says 'Live'. In Live under MIDI preferences I have:

Control Surface.......Input.....................Output
KONTROL49............KONTROL49 Port B....KONTROL49 CTRL

MIDI Ports........................Track......Sync.....Remote
Input: KONTROL49 Port B.....On.........Off........On
Output: KONTROL49 CTRL.....On.........Off........On

The keyboard seems to work perfectly as I can load an instrument and play it with a keystroke. The far right slider seems to control the Sound level Audio column in Live. If you look at the pad and start from the top left as 1 then go across counting, lights 8 and 16 are off, the rest are green. Which makes sense via the .pdf with the scene set that says those are not assigned. So I'm thinking everything is set up perfectly. Wrong...

The other sliders do nothing, the tempo control knob turns and displays the tempo, adjusting the speed of the tempo light, but does not actually change tempo speed in live. I went to MIDI in the upper right of Live and tried to manually set the Tempo knob to control the tempo, but when turning it, it doesn't get recognized.

So some poo poo works, some doesn't. I'm thinking I might have an older scene set, the Korg forums/site are TERRIBLE, everything is out of date and/or works only on XP. The Ableton forums offer a bit more help but nothing of substance. Does anyone have an updated scene set for Ableton 7? I'm trying to teach this to myself and it is a real bitch.

ManoliIsFat
Oct 4, 2002

squidgee posted:

Anyone have any familiar with these sequencers? What's better or worse about each? Any good alternatives? A lot of what I've read isn't particularly helpful, but I'm leaning towards Nanoloop because it has a nice looking interface and I'm not particularly familiar with trackers. However, I don't necessarily want to limit myself in terms of what I can do given the cost of a cartridge, and what I've read has mentioned that Nanoloop is a bit limited compared to LSDJ.
My bff uses LSDJ and loves it. Trackers are really easy to pick up if you've made electronic music before, so don't let that scare you. My boy (w.m.x) had only previously made tracks in fruity loops, learned renoise in like 4 hours, and was banging out beats on his gameboy in a couple days. I've never use nanoloop, so I can't help you there, but LSDJ is a tiny beast, especially if you have a way to flash samples to a cart.

quote:

EDIT: Also, has anyone used NitroTracker? The ability to transmit MIDI over wifi is intriguing.
I'm waiting for my cart, but I can't wait to rock this. I've only heard good things.

Your in NYC, right? We'll have to jam some time.

I Dig Gardening
Jan 13, 2004

I cant tonight, babe. Im going online.
NitroTracker is loving amazing and is one of the easiest music programs I have ever used, plus it's insanely in depth.. editing wavs, volume, a sampler.. the whole deal. Amazing.

That and the new Korg DS-10 have put the DS on the map as a legitimate music making device. If only you could record riffs from the Korg to a flash cart.. because then you could use the sampler to put those into NitroTracker without ever having to touch your laptop. You could make an entire loving album without ever leaving your DS.

audiom101
Sep 10, 2007
Just to add a little bit about layering sounds... for example, drums:

1)Try eq'ing or filtering the different layers to highlight the parts of those sounds that you like (or better, subtract everything but what you like about the sound)

2)Not really for kick drums, but with claps, snares, and such, you can mess with the timing of the hit for different layers. For example, if you were making a clap out of three different samples, you could slightly nudge the timing of one of them, say slightly before the beat, to emphasize its attack.

I Dig Gardening
Jan 13, 2004

audiom101 posted:

1)Try eq'ing or filtering the different layers to highlight the parts of those sounds that you like (or better, subtract everything but what you like about the sound)

2)Not really for kick drums, but with claps, snares, and such, you can mess with the timing of the hit for different layers. For example, if you were making a clap out of three different samples, you could slightly nudge the timing of one of them, say slightly before the beat, to emphasize its attack.

I use number 2 on ever percussion element in every one of my songs. Also helps you hear the click of the kick, too, so it emphasizes the kick drum if that's what you're aiming to do.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 14 days!

I Dig Gardening posted:

NitroTracker is loving amazing and is one of the easiest music programs I have ever used, plus it's insanely in depth.. editing wavs, volume, a sampler.. the whole deal. Amazing.

That and the new Korg DS-10 have put the DS on the map as a legitimate music making device. If only you could record riffs from the Korg to a flash cart.. because then you could use the sampler to put those into NitroTracker without ever having to touch your laptop. You could make an entire loving album without ever leaving your DS.

Check out protein DS as well. I havnt got it working yet, but it looks loving awesome.

Altoidss
Jun 7, 2007
Curiously Strong

audiom101 posted:

Something still confuses me about layering sounds. I get the theory of it, but can someone do a quick run through of how to layer samples in Reason?

oredun
Apr 12, 2007

Altoidss posted:

Something still confuses me about layering sounds. I get the theory of it, but can someone do a quick run through of how to layer samples in Reason?

open multiple REdrums and put diff samples in each one, and then set them up to run on the same midi pattern.

there may be an easier way, im not a reason head

audiom101
Sep 10, 2007

oredun posted:

open multiple REdrums and put diff samples in each one, and then set them up to run on the same midi pattern.

there may be an easier way, im not a reason head

Exactly. Now to shift the timing, you can go to the sequencer and manually adjust each note's position. To do this, of course you will have needed to record some notes into the sequencer instead of just playing the ReDrum machine as is.

Another way to do this once you have notes in the sequencer is to open the ReGroove Mixer (in Reason 4). Now if you look on the left-hand side of the sequencer, for your track there is a scroll down list next to the record button labeled "select groove." You then just choose a channel corresponding to one in the ReGroove mixer. Now go to that channel and adjust the "slide" knob. Voila!

I Dig Gardening
Jan 13, 2004

I hate reason with a passion but if anyone has any Ableton specific production questions I'd be happy to help. I never layer sounds though.. you will never hear more than one kick, one snare in any of my songs. Although claps I do layer occasionally.

aborn
Jun 2, 2001

1, 2, woop! woop!
Hey guys, here's my first attempt at electronic music production:

Superpose - Beautiful (Discobot Remix)

It's a remix we (me and a friend) made for a local duo, both good friends of ours. We tried to take the original song and shoehorn it into a simple bloghouse banger. It's the very first thing either of us produced, so I'd really appreciate your criticism.

Right off the bat, I'd like to acknowledge a few things I'm not happy about it that we're definitely changing for the next production:

- Drums: Patterns are too simple, kick sounds bad and could use compression
- First "heavy" part after the first verse goes for too long without variation, could be 4 bars shorter
- Mastering: did it at home, learned a lot then realized I'd have to go over the mixing all over again to get it right. I also hear a some stray frequencies, from the synths we made
- It simple: it's a small amount of simple layers

Being the first thing we produced, even with the problems mentioned above I'm pretty happy with the result. Worked on the dancefloor, not much more we can ask for at this stage.

The original is here, if you'd like to see what we were working with:
http://www.zshare.net/audio/9135319fbafb94/

We basically took vocals and the bass melody (played through a synth we made). Oh, and the remix was made with Ableton and Reason, using Rewire (which I'm sure I'll use in another way completely next time).

Peacebone
Sep 6, 2007
Looking for some feedback on a track I'm working on. Ive hit a brick wall where I don't know how to take the track or where to go with it which seems to be something a lot of people talk about.

I think the transitions are a bit awkward in the beginning as well and its plaguing the song. The melody that starts at 1 minute might be a little weak I'm thinking.

Let me know what you think/suggestions for arrangement,etc.

I Dig Gardening
Jan 13, 2004

CodeMaster posted:

Hey guys, here's my first attempt at electronic music production:

Superpose - Beautiful (Discobot Remix)

It's a remix we (me and a friend) made for a local duo, both good friends of ours. We tried to take the original song and shoehorn it into a simple bloghouse banger. It's the very first thing either of us produced, so I'd really appreciate your criticism.

Right off the bat, I'd like to acknowledge a few things I'm not happy about it that we're definitely changing for the next production:

- Drums: Patterns are too simple, kick sounds bad and could use compression
- First "heavy" part after the first verse goes for too long without variation, could be 4 bars shorter
- Mastering: did it at home, learned a lot then realized I'd have to go over the mixing all over again to get it right. I also hear a some stray frequencies, from the synths we made
- It simple: it's a small amount of simple layers

Being the first thing we produced, even with the problems mentioned above I'm pretty happy with the result. Worked on the dancefloor, not much more we can ask for at this stage.

The original is here, if you'd like to see what we were working with:
http://www.zshare.net/audio/9135319fbafb94/

We basically took vocals and the bass melody (played through a synth we made). Oh, and the remix was made with Ableton and Reason, using Rewire (which I'm sure I'll use in another way completely next time).

If you already know what you don't like about the track.. then work your rear end off for the next three weeks and come back when YOU think the track is perfect, THEN ask for some friendly construction help. I've found it works better that way, but maybe that's just me.

aborn
Jun 2, 2001

1, 2, woop! woop!

I Dig Gardening posted:

If you already know what you don't like about the track.. then work your rear end off for the next three weeks and come back when YOU think the track is perfect, THEN ask for some friendly construction help. I've found it works better that way, but maybe that's just me.

I've never thought anything I made was perfect, and as I said, despite of the problems listed I was happy with how it turned out and decided it was the time to stop working on it.

My request for criticism had the objective of highlighting things I didn't complain about or notice before.

e: i english gud

aborn fucked around with this message at 07:41 on Aug 12, 2008

tylertfb
Mar 3, 2004

Time.Space.Transmat.

Altoidss posted:

I typically use a 3 layered kick drum in my songs I create in reason. One layer for the sharp attack, one layer for the 'crunch', and one layer with a long decay, low attack, deep sub-bass sond (usually an 808 kick). I will take the CV out from channel 1 of Re:Drum #1 (or whatever I'm using to program the kick pattern in the song...but it's usually re:drum#1) and run it into a Spider CV splitter/merger and split that signal into 3, and then run each of those three cv signals into a second Re:Drum that contains the 3 kick layer samples. Another way you can do it is making a multi-sample patch using either of the samplers.

WanderingKid
Feb 27, 2005

lives here...
Man, I don't use any layers for kick drums. :\ Just the one sound straight from the drum machine or the mic and then a tonne of wave editing and post processing if necessary.

I tried layering drums for ages and I never found it to be a reliable way to make drum sounds that I liked. Mostly I couldn't tell how they would turn out until they...turned out and half the time the result was unusable or horrendous sounding.

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003
You should really give it another try, it helped my kicks tremendously. Maybe try and slice the punch from one kickdrum together with the tail from another in a wave editor. Or i dunno. What I did was set up a dedicated project file for layering kicks and just pull every stop I could. Non-realtime compression, checking against signal analysis, waveform surgery like filtering single peaks, etc. Spending an hour or two on a single kick sounds like a really stupid idea but once you do it and it works, it's gonna pay off.

hexa
Dec 10, 2004

And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom

wayfinder posted:

You should really give it another try, it helped my kicks tremendously. Maybe try and slice the punch from one kickdrum together with the tail from another in a wave editor. Or i dunno. What I did was set up a dedicated project file for layering kicks and just pull every stop I could. Non-realtime compression, checking against signal analysis, waveform surgery like filtering single peaks, etc. Spending an hour or two on a single kick sounds like a really stupid idea but once you do it and it works, it's gonna pay off.

From what I've read in Computer Music, a lot of top artists do it this way, build up a libarary of reliable processed kicks and then use them when starting a new track - before processing them even further.

Seems like a good way to do things but I'm pretty lazy - I really need to go through my samples and get rid of the crappy ones. Mind you, this is part of the reason why I bought the Electribe MX I mentioned earlier in the thread as I've found it's limited sample library actually helps as I have less to "procrastinate" with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

audiom101
Sep 10, 2007
Try googling Ian Carey and look for vids. There is a really nice one floating around out there that goes into great detail about how he programs his drums for house music. It's around 45 minutes long if I recall.

• Locked thread