Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

French Canadian
Feb 23, 2004

Fluffy cat sensory experience
Well, my dad brought home a 2007 Yamaha TW200, looking much like this one, considering it's all stock.

I weigh 135lbs and got it to top out at about 80mph but the thing was quite loud and buzzy. At slower speeds, maybe anything below 50 it is very quiet and comfortable and docile. Interestingly, it has very stiff rear suspension and as such can support my dad's considerable weight of 250lbs. All you have to do is air up the tires according to spec.

I rode it pretty aggresively on some trails and fireroads and it ran pretty well, but the stiff shock does become noticeable, especially when combined with the very soft forks. The fat rear tire is quite useful for soft stuff, although it seemed similar in terrain-grabbing ablity to my XR400, but I reckon that is due to the power difference. If this thing had a narrow tire, it wouldn't do nearly as well, so the fat tire helps make up for things like that.

I think it is a very good bike for heavy short folk, but it's also nice for taller people because you can flat foot and manhandle it as much as you want, and the lock-to-lock radius is very very large, which is awesome for tight trails. I can't really think of a better bike for doing slower paced technical riding. It reminds me very much of the Yamaha Fatcat of the 80s.

There are dudes on ADV who really like it, and you can get a rack for the back, bigger footpegs, a pipe, and someone makes a pretty tall windscreen as well. Lots of people seem to go offroad touring on it without much issue. The only reason for needing a bigger bike really is when you hit freeway or long stretches of road and need to make up some time. I think I'd like this bike for a trip if I knew I wouldn't hit much pavement at all.

Some fuel info: 78mpg and 1.8L tank not including the .45L reserve. A decent range I think.

French Canadian fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Jul 26, 2008

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I want a TW200 in the worst way!! Its the spiritual successor to the RV90!

bung
Dec 14, 2004

Phat_Albert posted:

I want a TW200 in the worst way!!

A guy who posts at one of the moto boards I read claims that it is the only bike one would ever need. :rolleyes:

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Old bike, which I sold about 2 years ago.

New bike, which I got about 2 months ago!

Micron exhaust, goodridge lines front/back, vortex sprocket in the back +2, RK Racing chain, BMC Air filter, renthol grips, Zero gravity double bubble screen, and a couple other things. They all came with the bike when I bought it. The stickers where on it too, I've just been too lazy to pull them off.

molojoe
Jul 21, 2008

by Eris Is Goddess
that's a nice bike. I want one!

predictive
Jan 11, 2006

For awesome, press 1.

mattfl posted:

Old F4i, new ZX-636

How is the Kawasaki compared to the Honda for comfort and power delivery? I had an F4i and sold it, and I've been eyeing a special edition ZX-636 for sale up the street.

French Canadian
Feb 23, 2004

Fluffy cat sensory experience

bung posted:

A guy who posts at one of the moto boards I read claims that it is the only bike one would ever need. :rolleyes:

The main reason I can see this being not true is that if you're skilled enough you can probably handle a bigger bike with decent suspension and more power. It's just that the TW200 seems to carry its own insurance against crashing or running into trouble.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

predictive posted:

How is the Kawasaki compared to the Honda for comfort and power delivery? I had an F4i and sold it, and I've been eyeing a special edition ZX-636 for sale up the street.

Night and day difference. An hour on the f4i killed my rear end, the zx6 is a lot more comfortable and multiple hour rides aren't crippling me when I get off the bike. The zx6 feels like it's got more power, it likes to be high up in the revs but it's not bad down low. Between the two I like the zx6 better than the f4i.

an actual frog
Mar 1, 2007

HEH, HEH, HEH!
-

an actual frog fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Jun 24, 2020

Darth Llama
Aug 13, 2004

Well, I got my first bike! I had all but given up, as I was looking for a specific new bike, a Honda Rebel (they were a lot of fun in the MSF class), and it seemed like everywhere in the Ohio Valley area was sold out and didn't expect more until late October. I finally found one in Richmond, KY yesterday.

Please excuse my ratty backyard. We moved in not long ago and have been trying to get it cleaned up from previous owners.

Click here for the full 1600x1200 image.

Edit: My camera sucks :(

Darth Llama fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Aug 3, 2008

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

Squishy Buddha posted:

The 2008 Goldwing:

You traitor :mad:

My wife and I are planning a trip out to San Fransisco around a business conference she's attending and are going to rent a Goldwing. I have a feeling she won't want to ride with me on the FJR anymore when we get back.

mutt2jeff
Oct 2, 2004
The one, the only....

French Canadian posted:

I rode it pretty aggresively on some trails and fireroads and it ran pretty well, but the stiff shock does become noticeable, especially when combined with the very soft forks. The fat rear tire is quite useful for soft stuff, although it seemed similar in terrain-grabbing ablity to my XR400, but I reckon that is due to the power difference. If this thing had a narrow tire, it wouldn't do nearly as well, so the fat tire helps make up for things like that.

On the fire roads, drop both tires down to about 8 psi, it makes all the difference in the world on a tw. Those big tires at low pressure do a great job of making up for the lackluster suspension on rough roads. When my girlfriend and I ride together offroad, thats the first thing I have to do.

I have realized that the tw is pretty much the ultimate fireroad exploration vehicle. You could carry a 3 gallon gas can, all your camping gear and food, and have a range of 400 miles, all in a light, easy to ride anywhere package. If I was a nature photographer or something, this would be my vehicle of choice.

SGT. Squeaks
Jun 18, 2003

Two men enter, one man leaves. That is the way of the hobotorium!

JebattoRocket posted:

Well, I got my first bike! I had all but given up, as I was looking for a specific new bike, a Honda Rebel (they were a lot of fun in the MSF class), and it seemed like everywhere in the Ohio Valley area was sold out and didn't expect more until late October. I finally found one in Richmond, KY yesterday.

Please excuse my ratty backyard. We moved in not long ago and have been trying to get it cleaned up from previous owners.

Edit: My camera sucks :(

Hey rebel buddy. Nice looking bike! Rebels are impossible to find around where I live too. All the dealers are sold out and people are selling bikes that are a couple of years old for the price of a brand new one. Except you can't find a brand new one. I snagged mine up in june. I was super lucky to find mine.

vex
Oct 18, 2002

TurboThather fan club President. LOL DSM

Just bought myfriends old bike (gotta use that student loan money for somethin cool right?) hes moving up to a 1300, so i wont be able to keep up with him :( . I havent riden dirtbikes for a few years now and ive been itching to get back into riding. Itll make my commute shorter now that i wont have to wait around for all the lovely traffic, too. im pretty excited, I haven't got my license yet so I'm only taking it out at night.

can anybody suggest where to get some frame sliders? Imnew to riding on the road but i know i want to get into stunting for sure, a couple of my bros stunt on the weekends but i haven't told them about my new ride yet.

Oh also whats the deal on insurance. Im prety sure none of my homeboys have any and i got health coverage through my parents, so really i wouldnt need to worry about bike insurance, would i?? it would prolly be too expensive also since i may or may not have a dui from a while ago.

thanks for any help bros time to pass out its been a long night of partying lol

mutt2jeff
Oct 2, 2004
The one, the only....
This is the dumbest trolling ever. Am I missing something that's supposed to be funny?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

vex posted:

Just bought myfriends old bike (gotta use that student loan money for somethin cool right?) hes moving up to a 1300, so i wont be able to keep up with him :( . I havent riden dirtbikes for a few years now and ive been itching to get back into riding. Itll make my commute shorter now that i wont have to wait around for all the lovely traffic, too. im pretty excited, I haven't got my license yet so I'm only taking it out at night.

can anybody suggest where to get some frame sliders? Imnew to riding on the road but i know i want to get into stunting for sure, a couple of my bros stunt on the weekends but i haven't told them about my new ride yet.

Oh also whats the deal on insurance. Im prety sure none of my homeboys have any and i got health coverage through my parents, so really i wouldnt need to worry about bike insurance, would i?? it would prolly be too expensive also since i may or may not have a dui from a while ago.

thanks for any help bros time to pass out its been a long night of partying lol

Most obvious troll ever.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
do those balloons make it lighter so it corners better

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

do those balloons make it lighter so it corners better

No, it's like preloading the suspension. The fatter you are the more balloons you need.

Drunk Pledge Driver
Nov 10, 2004

mattfl posted:

Night and day difference. An hour on the f4i killed my rear end, the zx6 is a lot more comfortable and multiple hour rides aren't crippling me when I get off the bike. The zx6 feels like it's got more power, it likes to be high up in the revs but it's not bad down low. Between the two I like the zx6 better than the f4i.

I bet the banana seats on the later year F4is are more comfy.

Tindjin
Aug 4, 2006

Do not seek death.
Death will find you.
But seek the road
which makes death a fulfillment.

French Canadian posted:

The main reason I can see this being not true is that if you're skilled enough you can probably handle a bigger bike with decent suspension and more power. It's just that the TW200 seems to carry its own insurance against crashing or running into trouble.

TW200 is an awesome little bike. I plan on getting another one for the stable eventually. I had one when I was a teenager and just a ton of fond memories of it.

For "only bike if the apocolypse happened" it would be a tough decision between a TW200 and a KLR650. Both are dead reliable with minimum maintenance and a hoot to ride.

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
Cross post from my project thread.

2004 Yamaha Zuma
1972 Suzuki RV90J

I plan to buy a CB550 next summer.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!
I don't get the CB550 love... *points at his GS550* much better bike. :-)

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
i've been working on a cb550 for my mom for a little while now. it's a fun little bike to ride (i shouldn't say little, i think it's actually bigger than my bmw) but oh my god i hate loving with the carbs on that thing.

orinth
Apr 15, 2003

NFC WEST IS THE BEST
I am so buying a tw200 now

Modern Vagina
Oct 11, 2004

Who wants chowder?
Joining the SVarmy

This bike is so freakin' awesome.

Stoic Commie
Aug 29, 2005

by XyloJW

Modern Vagina posted:

This bike is so freakin' awesome.

I want one :( Too bad they are a bitch to find used around here.

Rnr
Sep 5, 2003

some sort of irredeemable trash person
Going to sell my old sweetheart now, CBR600 F4:

Click here for the full 1200x803 image.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Drunk Pledge Driver posted:

Banana seats on sport bikes look stupid though.

BitcoinRockefeller
May 11, 2003

God gave me my money.

Hair Elf

Suzuki Bandit 600. The previous owner dumped it and messed up the faring, so he put some triumph headlights on the front.

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now

Nerobro posted:

I don't get the CB550 love... *points at his GS550* much better bike. :-)

It is more because of the support. *Looks at sohc forums*

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

cheese eats mouse posted:

It is more because of the support. *Looks at sohc forums*

https://www.thegsresources.com They're better. ;-) There are fewer guesses and fuzzy answers there.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

NinjaCthulhu posted:

Suzuki Bandit 600. The previous owner dumped it and messed up the faring, so he put some triumph headlights on the front.

How do you like that bike? I'm scrimping and saving for a 1st-gen 1200 Bandit.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Drunk Pledge Driver posted:

No, not really.

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

I had an 02 F4i for about a year and I really didn't think it was a very comfortable bike. It was fast and handled well but the riding position was just not right for me. I would usually take my Ninja 250 if I was going on anything over half hour ride.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

NinjaCthulhu posted:

I love the look of those bandits.. nice bike!

iroc_dis
May 11, 2006

Rnr posted:

Nice, I'm trying to sell my 2000 F4 right now as well. Good luck with your sale

BitcoinRockefeller
May 11, 2003

God gave me my money.

Hair Elf

Phat_Albert posted:

How do you like that bike? I'm scrimping and saving for a 1st-gen 1200 Bandit.

I like it a lot, but its my first bike so I don't really have anything to compare it to. The seating posistion is very comfortable, it has more than enough power for me, and it has never felt unstable even when I'm turning far enough to scrape the centerstand.

I imagine the suspension is pretty soft compared to other bikes, and it does seem to rebound quite a bit at the bottom of hills, but for just driving around it feels fine. My only other complaints are that there is an annoying vibration between 5 and 6 thousand revs, and the gas milage seems low for a 600 at just around 40, but I don't know if either of those would apply to the 1200.

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now

Nerobro posted:

https://www.thegsresources.com They're better. ;-) There are fewer guesses and fuzzy answers there.

Oh I see what you did.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

What did I did? As much as the honda community is strong, most CB's are their own model. They also have fairly short "model" runs. So parts don't interchange easily. and parts that do are random magical combinations. GS's have, and had long model runs. And once suzuki engineered something, they stuck with it. Parts swap easily, and widely throughout the range. And, you don't have the "this was never designed to be maintined" problems you run into on hondas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drunk Pledge Driver
Nov 10, 2004

Rnr posted:

Don't think I've ever seen one with that color scheme or a center stand before. Looks like you're in Denmark though, so things might be different across the pond.

iroc_dis posted:

Nice, I'm trying to sell my 2000 F4 right now as well. Good luck with your sale

My friend just bought a '99 with 18k miles for $2000. drat good deal if you ask me.