Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
humor's great, there just isn't anything particularly funny about the same joke told 100 times, or "Look1 Fairy crystal rainbow unicorns!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

greatn posted:

humor's great, there just isn't anything particularly funny about the same joke told 100 times, or "Look1 Fairy crystal rainbow unicorns!"

Maybe you shouldn't read a comic about stick figures and D&D cliches for cutting edge, envelope-pushing humor?

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
I still think it's hilarious that Belkar is puking himself whenever he tries to do something. And a bit horrible too, I wouldn't wish that fate on anyone really.

At first when they talked about his mark way back when I thought it'd be a simple -4 to all stats curse or something but this is much more sinister.

bgaesop
Nov 1, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Cabbit posted:

Maybe you shouldn't read a comic about stick figures and D&D cliches for cutting edge, envelope-pushing humor?

I read it for D&D jokes, and these aren't them. These aren't funny, all they do is detract from the D&D humour.

ZorbaTHut
May 5, 2005

wake me when the world is saved

bgaesop posted:

I read it for D&D jokes, and these aren't them. These aren't funny, all they do is detract from the D&D humour.

As bad as I think the Belkar thing could be if it's drawn out . . . he's been puking for a grand total of ten strips so far, and he wasn't even in six of those. The joke isn't exactly worn thin and watching his slide into insanity is kind of :haw:

Also, Elan's been getting more competent lately, albeit in a stumble-over-own-feet-and-fall-into-treasure-chest manner.

Hotwire
Mar 11, 2006

hehehe
What's this? you want a new strip?

Fine, you buncha jerks.

Don't say I never gives you NUFFIN.

Iggy Johnson
Mar 11, 2007

It doesn't work if you beg.
The fact that Belkar seems to not be vomitting throughout this comic lends credence to the idea that that was Roy's bone in the boot.

Vanadium
Jan 8, 2005

Rennej posted:

The fact that Belkar seems to not be vomitting throughout this comic lends credence to the idea that that was Roy's bone in the boot.

No, it does not. The mark was already set off, being close to Roy does not matter anymore, and they are still pretty close to the bone golem anyway or they would not comment on Belkar not being able to travel with them.

Iggy Johnson
Mar 11, 2007

It doesn't work if you beg.
Hmm... Touche. I had forgotten that he hasn't been vomiting profusely since they entered the radius of the castle itself.

Kramer
Aug 31, 2001

Do you know what it's like to fall in the mud and get kicked in the head with an iron boot?

Rennej posted:

Hmm... Touche. I had forgotten that he hasn't been vomiting profusely since they entered the radius of the castle itself.

Proximity to Roy no longer has anything to do with Belkar's state. The mark has been set off. The only reason they're discussing using Belkar as a proximity alarm is because they don't know that the mark has already been set off. They don't know because of the Oracle's memory charm. They just think Belkar's sick. Besides, Belkar has been within a few feet of Roy's body the whole time while hiding in the cart.

Although, now that I think about it, taking Roy's body and not taking Belkar, knowing it would set off Belkar's mark of justice doesn't seem like a very lawful good think for Celia to be doing.

The Werle
Aug 8, 2005

Fireworks for Christmas is absolutely American

Kramer posted:

Proximity to Roy no longer has anything to do with Belkar's state. The mark has been set off. The only reason they're discussing using Belkar as a proximity alarm is because they don't know that the mark has already been set off. They don't know because of the Oracle's memory charm. They just think Belkar's sick. Besides, Belkar has been within a few feet of Roy's body the whole time while hiding in the cart.

Although, now that I think about it, taking Roy's body and not taking Belkar, knowing it would set off Belkar's mark of justice doesn't seem like a very lawful good think for Celia to be doing.

She'd be unlawfully negligent at best, and could totally get herself off w/ community service.

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

I would look up into your lifeless eyes and wave, like this. Can you and your associates arrange that for me, Mr. Morden?
Just as we start complaining that Belkar's random humour is getting too grating, he stops doing it. Sometimes I really do wonder if Burlew reads this thread.

CK07
Nov 8, 2005

bum bum BAA, bum bum, ba-bum ba baa..

Kramer posted:

Is it possible that the Mark is wearing off?

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

DoctorTristan posted:

Just as we start complaining that Belkar's random humour is getting too grating, he stops doing it. Sometimes I really do wonder if Burlew reads this thread.
As repeated often in this thread he reads his own forums neurotically and will frequently change things because of complaints or if they guess things too far ahead of time. I don't know if he reads this forum but odds are as long as his own forums aren't just some circlejerk praising him then they probably have a lot of the same complaints.

Donraj
May 7, 2007

by Ralp

Panty_HaX0r posted:

As repeated often in this thread he reads his own forums neurotically and will frequently change things because of complaints or if they guess things too far ahead of time. I don't know if he reads this forum but odds are as long as his own forums aren't just some circlejerk praising him then they probably have a lot of the same complaints.

I've lurked in his forums. He says that he actively avoids reading speculation about what will happen next specifically because he feels compelled to change things around when people guess right. The board rules there even require speculation to be spoiler tagged.

I think he's just good at anticipating fan reactions.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

Donraj posted:

I've lurked in his forums. He says that he actively avoids reading speculation about what will happen next specifically because he feels compelled to change things around when people guess right. The board rules there even require speculation to be spoiler tagged.

I think he's just good at anticipating fan reactions.

He could just be a good writer and realize that the joke would get old, so he should stop writing that way at some point.

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007
By now I just want to see the whole "ressurect Roy" story wrapped up before we end up with 150+ strips about the gang being stuck in grey-black city not soon after getting out of light blue-dark blue city.

Kangaroo Jerk
Jul 23, 2000
I just want them to get the team together, save the last few gates, and kill Xykon and Redcloak. Then end the loving thing. I mean, GOD! Enough dicking around with nothing happening.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Gumby posted:

I just want them to get the team together, save the last few gates, and kill Xykon and Redcloak. Then end the loving thing. I mean, GOD! Enough dicking around with nothing happening.

Yeah, he needs to remember he's on a deadline here too and needs to finish before he dies of Chromes disease.

Maldraedior
Jun 16, 2002

YOU ARE AN ASININE MORT

greatn posted:

Yeah, he needs to remember he's on a deadline here too and needs to finish before he dies of Chromes disease.

if you keep trying to guess the ending he may do it to spite you

Petanque
Apr 14, 2008

Ca va bien aller
New comic, featuring 100% more shameless plugs.

Click here for the full 722x935 image.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

greatn posted:

Crohn's isn't fatal, it's just a chronic condition.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
This is still wheel-spinning C-plot bullshit. You never split up the party and this right here is exactly why.

shadysight
Mar 31, 2007

Only slightly crazy
Meh. At this rate, I am not looking forward to the multiple-comics catching up Team Haily on what's going on, futilely try to avoid confrontation, and then spending a long time discussing with each other, and the opposing party said immanent confrontation right before it happens.

Well, I'm sure there will be things to enjoy along the way, but this side quest is a little wearing.

hey girl you up
May 21, 2001

Forum Nice Guy

CapnAndy posted:

This is still wheel-spinning C-plot bullshit. You never split up the party and this right here is exactly why.

Seriously. You would think a comic about the cliches of tabletop RPGs would know better than that.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

PFlats posted:

Seriously. You would think a comic about the cliches of tabletop RPGs would know better than that.

Man, how many games of D&D games do you play where nobody ever splits up and everyone takes the least troublesome, smartest route?

I'm surprised they've gone this far without one PC killing another.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
As long as the comic makes me laugh I don't care where he takes his NPCs.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Renoistic posted:

Amen

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Renoistic posted:

Here's the problem: The laughs are getting fewer and farther between ever since his solid ensemble cast has been fragmented, and the plot is going nowhere on top of it.

Kangaroo Jerk
Jul 23, 2000

Renoistic posted:

ecnaleerF yggulS
ecnaleerF yggulS
ecnaleerF yggulS

Another webcomic I used to like that got bogged down with drama and nothing happening.

Why the gently caress is everybody having such a drat difficult time getting Roy raised from the dead? Who needs a half-orc ninja fawning over Elan? Is V turning evil or what? Why is Celia suddenly a main character? Why is she useless?

Rich Burlew posted:

Hold on I'll answer that in just a COUGH COUGH WHEEZE (Ten-hour-long boardgame)HACK SPIT (TPB extras) COUGH SNEEZE (laziness) SPEW WHEEZE (stubborn refusal to address concerns) SPIT

Kojiro
Aug 11, 2003

LET'S GET TO THE TOP!

Panty_HaX0r posted:

Here's the problem: The laughs are getting fewer and farther between ever since his solid ensemble cast has been fragmented, and the plot is going nowhere on top of it.

Yes, really the people complaining about the split are probably just linking it with the fact that the jokes have become far wordier and less funny. At the moment it feels like you have to run a big gauntlet of text to get to a mediocre punchline at the end, and it's a shame becasue he can and has done better.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Having seen first-hand how terrible webcomics can get when they listen to reader requests, I'm inclined to let him do what he wants. I'm still enjoying it, anyway.

Kahrytes
Jun 4, 2004

Now I need a drink. Not this one. Another one. And in a different place.

Bobulus posted:

Having seen first-hand how terrible webcomics can get when they listen to reader requests, I'm inclined to let him do what he wants. I'm still enjoying it, anyway.

Not all reader requests are the same.

Inserting people's selfinsert mary sues into a comic? Bad.

Getting back to the main storyline, that he's been leaning more and more away from, to do side-story stuff that the majority of people don't like? Not so bad.

shadysight
Mar 31, 2007

Only slightly crazy

Kahrytes posted:

Not all reader requests are the same.

Inserting people's selfinsert mary sues into a comic? Bad.

Getting back to the main storyline, that he's been leaning more and more away from, to do side-story stuff that the majority of people don't like? Not so bad.

I think it's mostly that there's three main competing story lines.

1) Possible end of everything.
2 & 3) Adventures in being a dumb rear end, starring Elan and Celia.

And somehow 2 & 3 are dominating most of the story line, and seem like they will continue to for the foreseeable future.

ZorbaTHut
May 5, 2005

shadysight posted:

I think it's mostly that there's three main competing story lines.

1) Possible end of everything.
2 & 3) Adventures in being a dumb rear end, starring Elan and Celia.

And somehow 2 & 3 are dominating most of the story line, and seem like they will continue to for the foreseeable future.

That's actually a pretty good point - even when the dumbasses were concentrated, Roy and Haley generally kept the party going in a useful direction (not always the direction they intended, but things at least happened.) Right now it just feels kind of like the Elan and Celia Comedy Hour, because neither of them have enough competence nearby to keep them on the right track, so it's just them wandering around and going :awesome: at everything.

I still think that's funnier than most people around here do, but yeah, it's starting to drag a bit, especially when the last productive thing was 17 strips ago when Elan managed to get some random group of orcs to trade with him so that the boats didn't starve to death.

Which we fundamentally don't care about because it does nothing to continue any plotlines.

Okay I'm back 40 strips now and still nothing productive has happened. I give up. Even Erfworld is making more progress plot-wise.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

ZorbaTHut posted:

Okay I'm back 40 strips now and still nothing productive has happened. I give up. Even Erfworld is making more progress plot-wise.
Now now, let's not be rash.

ZorbaTHut
May 5, 2005

Panty_HaX0r posted:

Now now, let's not be rash.

I hate to say it but Erfworld's actually managing not a bad plot-per-page ratio :( Of course they still post infrequently and, well, it's still Erfworld and either their plot is uninteresting or we're years in and we haven't even gotten to the main plot yet . . .

. . . but it's getting better. :unsmith:

Einlarzer
Oct 6, 2006

Hszazn?
Whether the party gets back together or not, or the plot moves on or not, I just wish he would make some funny jokes again.

Vicissitude
Jan 26, 2004

You ever do the chicken dance at a wake? That really bothers people.
New Comic! Shifting back to the other group are we?

Click here for the full 720x1812 image.

I like Old Blind Pete.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kangaroo Jerk
Jul 23, 2000
I liked the "Ding!" That particular contrivance always puzzled me - what were the PCs' rivals doing while the PCs leveled?