Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vanadium
Jan 8, 2005

tablebreaker posted:

I have one for Linux, if that's okay. I'd like the ability to unrar several files in the same folder with the same password without having to manually repeat the process of pasting the password into each file.... That would be great!

I am thinking for file in folder/*.rar; do unrar x -ppasswordgoeshere $file; done, but I have not tested it because I do not have any passworded rars :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tablebreaker
Dec 4, 2002

I let Andrew earn his RedWings

Vanadium posted:

I am thinking for file in folder/*.rar; do unrar x -ppasswordgoeshere $file; done, but I have not tested it because I do not have any passworded rars :(

thanks, i'll give it a shot later today!

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.
I was looking for a software version of http://www.gymboss.com/

Basically, it is an interval timer to use for training. I would like to be able to set 2 interval times and the number of times to repeat the interval. Something like..

Definable intial wait period (time for me to press go then get in position to start the exercise)
BEEP
x time doing the exercise (maybe 20 seconds)
BEEP2
y time having a break (e.g. 10 seconds)

then loop x + y z times.

edit : I would also like it have a large display which shows the countdown and the number of sets remaining.

Sad Panda fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Jul 21, 2008

LunchMoney
Jul 13, 2004

I am looking for a software solution to manage a list of employee/client associations.

Basically if I look at the profile for employee01 I want to see that he is associated with client01, client02, & client03.

If I look at the profile for client01 I want to see that they are associated with employee01, employee02, employee03, etc.

I, of course, would need a way to edit/remove/add those connections.

I would like the profiles to show basic contact information like first name, middle name, last name, job title, company, street address, zip code, state, country, phone number, email, and a section for notes.

I do not need anything much more complicated than that.

the littlest prince
Sep 23, 2006

LunchMoney posted:

I am looking for a software solution to manage a list of employee/client associations.

Basically if I look at the profile for employee01 I want to see that he is associated with client01, client02, & client03.

If I look at the profile for client01 I want to see that they are associated with employee01, employee02, employee03, etc.

I would like the profiles to show basic contact information like first name, middle name, last name, job title, company, street address, zip code, state, country, phone number, email, and a section for notes.

You could probably do this in Excel pretty easily. Make a sheet for the employees, and one for the clients, and put all their information there, then make a third sheet which would just be a table of relationships.

LunchMoney
Jul 13, 2004

the littlest prince posted:

You could probably do this in Excel pretty easily. Make a sheet for the employees, and one for the clients, and put all their information there, then make a third sheet which would just be a table of relationships.

An excel sheet is what we are currently using but it is becoming too much of a mess to manage.

NoSpoon
Jul 2, 2004
I'd like a tiny application that sits in my taskbar and is just a stopwatch. I'd want it visible all the time, sort of like the "Windows Desktop Search" bar or something. In an ideal world I'd be able to save the time with a note.. so at the end of the month I'd have a file:
code:
01/08/08    13:52:00    13:53:30    00:01:30    Whoring SA
01/08/08    13:55:00    13:57:00    00:02:00    Doing work
And I could see that I'd spent 2 minutes doing work and a minute thirty whoring SA.

A bare stopwatch would also be handy though..

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

the littlest prince posted:

What you described is just a normalized database, which would be done much better in Access (an actual database program) than in Excel.

@LunchMoney: What version of Office do you have installed and do you have Access installed?

clarkwgriswold
Aug 22, 2005

Oh, you've remodelled the garage. Must have cost you hundreds.
A tray icon for windows that allows bluetooth enable or disable with a click, please. Similar to the one in Mac OS.

http://www.tinyappz.com/wiki/Request:1217624851/

e: added link

clarkwgriswold fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Aug 1, 2008

A Perturbed Parrot
Nov 10, 2005

He was the kind of person who kept a parrot.
New tiny tiny app idea/request.

Great for managing certain types of library (such as music).

The app looks in a parent folder.
Any folder in said parent folder that doesn't contain atleast 1 file with type ".x" (could be mp3, could be jpg, could be etc, etc), is deleted, regardless of other contents.

Any ideas!?

genki
Nov 12, 2003

thelightguy posted:

What you described is just a normalized database, which would be done much better in Access (an actual database program) than in Excel.

@LunchMoney: What version of Office do you have installed and do you have Access installed?
In creating a solution for this, I've discovered that not creating a detailed list of requirements beforehand really does seriously affect the final time estimate.

Fascinating.

If anyone is interested in source code, let me know. It was mainly created as an example of how simple it is to create a useful application based on an object database, but the intricacies of the necessary queries have made me re-reflect. I think if I had designed the objec model with more forethought, it might have been much simpler. As it stands, I'm not positive the time it took to create this (I'd estimate it was over 4 hours) compares favorably to the time it would take to create in Access (thanks to form wizards and such).

If anyone wants to make an access version and compare time, that'd be interesting!

http://www.tinyappz.com/wiki/images/5/55/ClientTracker.zip

Hmmm, using the db4o libraries has added a fair bit to the total size. Hopefully it's not too big!

edit: I should also note that there are issues with the object model due to the numerous "if this is this thing, do this, else do that which is exactly like this but with a different type". Gotta be a better way to do it. Well, it works...

genki fucked around with this message at 06:36 on Aug 3, 2008

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

Zhentar posted:

Well really, a couple MB out of a long video would be a pretty substantial amount of compression. And I wouldn't be too concerned about finding 99.9% complete files in any format that's moderately tolerant of errors.

As for my priorities- Well, I'd definitely like as good accuracy as is reasonable. I pretty much don't care about run time; it could even take a couple weeks to cover my whole array if that's what it took.

There's no need to compress the files, just rank them by percentage of bytes that are zero'd out. The ones with the highest percentage of 'empty' bytes are likely unfinished torrents. I have a program that does something similar, but it's written in erlang and it's not very user friendly. (You pretty much have to run it from the erlang shell).

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

genki posted:

If anyone wants to make an access version and compare time, that'd be interesting!

Sure, why not... I'll get on this tomorrow.

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius

the talent deficit posted:

There's no need to compress the files, just rank them by percentage of bytes that are zero'd out. The ones with the highest percentage of 'empty' bytes are likely unfinished torrents. I have a program that does something similar, but it's written in erlang and it's not very user friendly. (You pretty much have to run it from the erlang shell).

That's no good; 1 megabyte straight of zero bytes would be unusually compressible for a media file, but in a 350mb video, assuming even bit distribution, that would only skew the results .15%.

Ramzi
Oct 10, 2004
The inner child of my soul was repeatedly gangbanged by a team of mall Santas.
For my brother:
Can I get a command prompt program for DOS/Windows to basically automate the "image resizing functionality of MS-Paint?" I basically want to have certain flags to be able to resize all images in a directory by specific percentages or actual dimensions, or by filesize and file type. Like, "shrink this image by 5% in pixel dimensions until it is smaller than 1mb," or some sort of way to get the "best" picture for an upload limit.

Ramzi fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Aug 4, 2008

zeus juice
Mar 22, 2007
my name rhymes

Ramzi posted:

For my brother:
Can I get a command prompt program for DOS/Windows to basically automate the "image resizing functionality of MS-Paint?" I basically want to have certain flags to be able to resize all images in a directory by specific percentages or actual dimensions, or by filesize and file type. Like, "shrink this image by 5% in pixel dimensions until it is smaller than 1mb," or some sort of way to get the "best" picture for an upload limit.

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/digitalphotography/learnmore/tips/eschelman2.mspx

MS released a handy tool called "Image Resizer" that'll do what I think you want it to do. There are tons of freeware apps for this, too.

mobn
May 23, 2005

by Ozmaugh
This is an odd request, but I need a script/program that will go through all the music files in a directory tree and copy the data in the "album artist" tag to the "composer" tag. You can't view by album artist in the iPod, but I want my Artist tags to be correct which makes sorting a bitch, so I want to cheat by viewing by Composer (which will actually be the album artist) Everything in the folder should be either mp3 or mp4/m4a.

Swink
Apr 18, 2006
Left Side <--- Many Whelps
Hopefully this should be a piece of cake.

At my work I need to write a phrase and the date after processing each piece of work, but I cant copy/paste, so I have to type it each time. One common one is -

"Received 4/8/08"

What I need is a program that will enter a bit of text whenever I push a hotkey. Like Ctrl B for example. I'd like to be able to alter the text to whatever I want (so I can change the date each day).
If it could run standalone from a USB drive that would be great, as I cant install anything on my work machine.

Now that I think about it, Ctrl B is not a good choice. Maybe if the Hotkey could be customizable as well, I cant for the life of me think what a comfortable combo would be right now.

crazysim
May 23, 2004
I AM SOOOOO GAY
http://lifehacker.com/software/texter/lifehacker-code-texter-windows-238306.php

Swink
Apr 18, 2006
Left Side <--- Many Whelps

I knew it!

I'll now set about getting my entire work day into 10 keystrokes.

Thanks.

First Time Caller
Nov 1, 2004

How about a little app where you would:

* specify a source
* specify a name
* specify a destination ( browse, remember last destination)

and it would make a folder on the destination folder with the <name> and copy everything from <source> into it. (skipping over files that are in use)

Arteryman
Mar 18, 2006
If you don't try you can't lose.
If it's not too much work I'd love a small calendar program that at pre-scheduled times text messages me a reminder of what I have to do. Would this be possible?

cheesypeanut
Apr 4, 2004
w3rd. ngr wut.

Arteryman posted:

If it's not too much work I'd love a small calendar program that at pre-scheduled times text messages me a reminder of what I have to do. Would this be possible?

Google Calendar does this.

Miracle Dog
Jan 22, 2005
wild
http://www.tinyappz.com/wiki/Request:1217960275

I have a lot of unsorted drum sample .wav files (in a 'source' folder) I need to categorise into particular subfolders of a 'destination' folder. I've explained my problem in depth on the wiki... if anyone could help I'd be very grateful, sorting them via Windows Explorer & Foobar is extremely tedious.

ChaosTheory
Oct 1, 2003

Pillbug
You guys like challenges right? well this borders on impossible:

I have a Panasonic Lumix FZ20 still camera, It has no drivers other than a basic "removeable drive" function. I would like to know if it is possible to make the computer "tell" the camera to take a shot every interval...for timelapse.

I am supposing there might be a way, just no driver support.

any thoughts?

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.

Miracle Dog posted:

I have a lot of unsorted drum sample .wav files (in a 'source' folder) I need to categorise into particular subfolders of a 'destination' folder. I've explained my problem in depth on the wiki... if anyone could help I'd be very grateful, sorting them via Windows Explorer & Foobar is extremely tedious.

Unless someone beats me to it, I'll take a stab at this tonight. Can't dork with it at work.

genki
Nov 12, 2003

LunchMoney posted:

thelightguy posted:

Sure, why not... I'll get on this tomorrow.
Any udpate on an Access version? Or did it get superceded by life? ;)
Also, LunchMoney, I'm not sure you saw that a solution was posted, would be interested in basic usage report:
http://www.tinyappz.com/wiki/images/5/55/ClientTracker.zip
In retrospect, I most definitely could have done this in an easier way, but whatever...

Miracle Dog posted:

Oldstench posted:

Unless someone beats me to it, I'll take a stab at this tonight. Can't dork with it at work.
I'd totally be interested in tackling this, but it probably wouldn't be tonight. Might do it anyhow though!

damn you grandpappy!
Dec 4, 2003

For my birthday I got this poorly photoshopped Jewday cake, and a lick of Funky's penis.

First Time Caller posted:

How about a little app where you would:

* specify a source
* specify a name
* specify a destination ( browse, remember last destination)

and it would make a folder on the destination folder with the <name> and copy everything from <source> into it. (skipping over files that are in use)

If i understand what you are trying to say here, unstoppable copier does this (amongst other things, lots of corrupted files? no problem!)

http://www.roadkil.net/

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Miracle Dog posted:

Request filled:
http://www.tinyappz.com/wiki/Sample_Sort

Edit: Uploaded new version to fix a stupid error I left in.

Oldstench fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Aug 6, 2008

Dessert Rose
May 17, 2004

awoken in control of a lucid deep dream...

ChaosTheory posted:

You guys like challenges right? well this borders on impossible:

I have a Panasonic Lumix FZ20 still camera, It has no drivers other than a basic "removeable drive" function. I would like to know if it is possible to make the computer "tell" the camera to take a shot every interval...for timelapse.

I am supposing there might be a way, just no driver support.

any thoughts?

actually this doesn't border on impossible it just flat out is impossible.

If there's no driver support, then there's no way to tell it to do anything. What you're asking is basically, "Hey guys, can you hack my camera to implement USB control, then write up a driver for your hack, and then write controlling software to take a picture every few seconds?"

I hope you can see that this is not a tiny app. :)

CheeToS
Dec 25, 2003
Dangerously Cheesy

A Perturbed Parrot posted:

New tiny tiny app idea/request.

Great for managing certain types of library (such as music).

The app looks in a parent folder.
Any folder in said parent folder that doesn't contain atleast 1 file with type ".x" (could be mp3, could be jpg, could be etc, etc), is deleted, regardless of other contents.

Any ideas!?

How's this?
http://www.tinyappz.com/wiki/SelectiveDelete

Miracle Dog
Jan 22, 2005
wild

Oldstench posted:

Request filled:
http://www.tinyappz.com/wiki/Sample_Sort

Edit: Uploaded new version to fix a stupid error I left in.

Thanks a lot! It's just what I needed. Thanks again.

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew

clarkwgriswold posted:

A tray icon for windows that allows bluetooth enable or disable with a click, please. Similar to the one in Mac OS.

http://www.tinyappz.com/wiki/Request:1217624851/

e: added link

Is this on a laptop? If so, check your manufacturers website, because one of the drivers for my laptop was for a small icon in the tray which allows for 1 click enable/disable.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Miracle Dog posted:

Thanks a lot! It's just what I needed. Thanks again.

Glad to help - if you come up with any ideas for improvements, let me know. I can always use the practice.

g - fresh
Jan 3, 2001
Forum Veteran
I could really use an app that lets you set the path of an executable via a cfg file, then checks to see if that program is running. If it is not it launches the program, if it is running it waits a predetermined amount of time (set in the cfg file) and then closes and relaunches it.

http://www.tinyappz.com/wiki/Request:1218161191

edit: Probably should have mentioned this is on a windows machine...

g - fresh fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Aug 10, 2008

mobn
May 23, 2005

by Ozmaugh

mobn posted:

This is an odd request, but I need a script/program that will go through all the music files in a directory tree and copy the data in the "album artist" tag to the "composer" tag. You can't view by album artist in the iPod, but I want my Artist tags to be correct which makes sorting a bitch, so I want to cheat by viewing by Composer (which will actually be the album artist) Everything in the folder should be either mp3 or mp4/m4a.

Durr, I should probably add the request to the site, shouldn't I?

here we go: http://www.tinyappz.com/wiki/Request:1218161782

ChaosTheory
Oct 1, 2003

Pillbug

Ryouga Inverse posted:

actually this doesn't border on impossible it just flat out is impossible.

If there's no driver support, then there's no way to tell it to do anything. What you're asking is basically, "Hey guys, can you hack my camera to implement USB control, then write up a driver for your hack, and then write controlling software to take a picture every few seconds?"

I hope you can see that this is not a tiny app. :)

pretty much the response I expected, but I threw it out there in case someone could make drivers.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

mobn posted:

Durr, I should probably add the request to the site, shouldn't I?

here we go: http://www.tinyappz.com/wiki/Request:1218161782

I have this written, but am too tired to upload. I hope that this isn't for a Mac, as it is Windows only.

mobn
May 23, 2005

by Ozmaugh

Oldstench posted:

I have this written, but am too tired to upload. I hope that this isn't for a Mac, as it is Windows only.

Vista. Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

mobn posted:

Vista. Thanks!

Here ya go:
http://www.tinyappz.com/wiki/TagCopy

I had no .mp4 files to test this on, but it should work. If it doesn't, please send me a link to a small .mp4 file to test on and I will have a new version up ASAP.

If you need any other functionality, just let me know.

• Locked thread