Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe

Prof Eli ASSBLASTER posted:

So far, it seems to play pretty damned well for a $200 guitar. The pickups are very clear and bright (if a little quiet) and it has crazy sustain. The neck is very comfortable and moderately thin. My only complaint really is that it's made in China, and the fact that the pickup switch and amp jack are chromed, which doesn't match the rest of the brushed nickel hardware. Really minor quibbles though, overall I love it.
Freakin' sweet! Danelectro needs to have an American workshop and charge people out the rear end for well-made boutique instruments.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prof Eli ASSBLASTER
May 30, 2007

by Fragmaster

scuz posted:

Freakin' sweet! Danelectro needs to have an American workshop and charge people out the rear end for well-made boutique instruments.

they really need to reissue this sexy beast :(

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

Very strong. Everyone likes me.

I hate to say it but doesn't that look a little like a...turd?

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

scuz posted:

Never heard of Jerry Jones eh? He's been around forever, and his axes play circles around anything Danelectro ever dreamed of making.

VVV you missed the "charge people out the rear end for well-made boutique instruments" part there chuck VVV

Gramps fucked around with this message at 06:15 on Aug 2, 2008

Prof Eli ASSBLASTER
May 30, 2007

by Fragmaster

Gramps posted:

He's been around forever, and his axes play circles around anything Danelectro ever dreamed of making.

Yeah, and they also cost six times as much.

They're probably awesome guitars, just saying that you can't really compare the two.

Thoogsby posted:

I hate to say it but doesn't that look a little like a...turd?

An awesome vintage 60's turd :colbert:

Prof Eli ASSBLASTER fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Aug 2, 2008

PenguinBob
Oct 12, 2000

they did, but not in that color.

Atomic Monkey
Jul 27, 2006

HIS AVATAR IS BEN AFFLECK BUT HIS NAME IS ATOMIC MONK.. OH WAIT, I GET IT
Fender MIM Strat, sounds better than most 1500+ ones ive played and has a strange semi hollowbody like sound, clarity, and loudness to it while clean and it's very noticable when it's unplugged. It can go from jazz box- like to clean/ditry strat to full on humbucker sound

(everything is stock minus the pickguard and pickups, it kinda reminds me of a 90's ara billy corgain strat)

(note: those are lace sensors)

butros
Aug 2, 2007

I believe the signs of the reptile master

Gramps posted:

Never heard of Jerry Jones eh? He's been around forever, and his axes play circles around anything Danelectro ever dreamed of making.

VVV you missed the "charge people out the rear end for well-made boutique instruments" part there chuck VVV

hey gramps - you said you've been looking for a larrivee pete anderson - don't know if you are comfortable with ebayin' it but here's a link to one up there right now.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Larrivee-PAOM03...1QQcmdZViewItem

the buy it now is a little high but these are pretty sought after guitars.

Uncle Caveman
Jun 16, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Hot drat, I had no idea these were under $300 - the first run of current Dano RIs a few years ago were $400+. Gotta pick up a baritone 63!

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

butros posted:

hey gramps - you said you've been looking for a larrivee pete anderson - don't know if you are comfortable with ebayin' it but here's a link to one up there right now.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Larrivee-PAOM03...1QQcmdZViewItem

the buy it now is a little high but these are pretty sought after guitars.

:gizz:
Unfortunately the seller is a pawn shop- that usually puts me off right away. Thanks though- I'll keep hunting.

LAchristus
Aug 14, 2006

Don't you know pump it up! YOU'VE GOT TO PUMP IT UP!!!
I just found a Höfner acoustic guitar at a fleamarket in town. It was really cheap and pretty and vintage looking, so I thought what the hell. It doesn't have any serialnumber or prints inside the body, so don't think its worth anything. But if anyone is a Höfner geek I would love to learn more about it!

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

The Cool Cat pedals are the poo poo.

So I got the Metal the other day and was so impressed with it that yesterday I went out and brought back these two:

Cool Cat Drive

and

Cool Cat Transparent Overdrive

I run the TransOD first in the signal chain, into the Drive, into the Metal. The TransOD is always on, because it's that lovely just-at-breakup when you really hammer the strings sound, you know what I mean - gives you a lovely, harmonically rich, oh-so-slightly overdriven clean sound 'til you dig in. I don't turn it off. Then, I add either the Drive (for a fairly hard-hitting but incredibly full-sounding distortion, think cranked Marshall or Joe Satriani) or the Metal (for high gain, but with great definition, reminds me a lot of a distorted JCM900 or Valvestate 8100 - think Death).

I've got my recording gear out and I'll be doing a fairly comprehensive review next week, but I may wait to post it until I pick up the rest that I'll be getting, which are:

Cool Cat Distortion

Cool Cat Fuzz

Cool Cat Metal II

Right now, these pedals have unplugged more than a thousand dollars worth of overdrive, distortion, and fuzz. I keep waiting for them to display some flaw that justifies their low price, but every time I turn on my amp, they give me exactly the same sweet sounds I can't believe I was getting last time.

I don't want to gush too much before anyone hears them, though. I don't want to give the impression that they're The Answer or anything like that - everyone's tastes will differ. I have been very happy with all the Danelectro dirt boxes I've used in the past (I'm sure many of you remember my constant, glowing praise of the Wasabi OD, Distortion, and the Fab Tone, despite their relative controversy) - it could be that the engineers at Danelectro and I have a lot of tonal preferences in common. It could be that others will find these pedals to be mere budget wares, good for the money but not earning a place among the heavy hitters. I leave that to your ears - I will try to give as thorough a review of each of the ones that I have as possible.

JohnnySmitch
Oct 20, 2004

Don't touch me there - Noone has that right.

Agreed posted:

The Cool Cat pedals are the poo poo.

You've got me curious about the TransOD now... How would you compare it to the type of OD you can get through the Wasabi OD or a Tubescreamer? I have both of those (and am very happy with them) so I don't know how much I can justify another OD box. I too have found that my pedal board seems to be getting taken over by Danelectro.

the wizards beard
Apr 15, 2007
Reppin

4 LIFE 4 REAL
I thought the Metal II was just the Metal with a hi-cut switch instead of an EQ, do you really need both?

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

JohnnySmitch posted:

You've got me curious about the TransOD now... How would you compare it to the type of OD you can get through the Wasabi OD or a Tubescreamer? I have both of those (and am very happy with them) so I don't know how much I can justify another OD box. I too have found that my pedal board seems to be getting taken over by Danelectro.

The Wasabi OD and the TransOD don't sound like eachother. They are both excellent pedals and they cover a lot of the same tonal ground. The Wasabi OD seems to have more gain on tap, and of course its various EQ curves give it more versatility as to what overall tonality you're going for. The Trans OD might have more in common with a TS808 or TS9. I'm not sure if the TransOD uses symmetrical or asymmetrical clipping, though - I never could get the knack for hearing "the" difference.

I have two Wasabi ODs and I still really love the TransOD, it's a bit glassier sounding (which I intend to mean it has more upper midrange and treble, and less midbass and bass). They are both responsive to playing dynamics, but the TransOD might be a bit moreso - it seems more able to go from glassy clean to crunch just by digging in hard on the strings, whereas the Wasabi OD is a bit more attached to its own controls as far as determining the range of gain. The TransOD won't overdrive so easily when you arpeggiate chords and let each note ring, while the Wasabi (if set to a level of gain where it's overdriving noticeably at all) will.

The Trans OD's circuit is much, much simpler than the Wasabi OD's, which probably has a lot to do with that.

the wizards beard posted:

I thought the Metal II was just the Metal with a hi-cut switch instead of an EQ, do you really need both?

I intend to find out. I haven't seen a circuit diagram, and the price is very reasonable. Besides, that much of a change in the tone stack could cause some pretty cool differences in the output, anyway.

Exploded
Sep 13, 2002
I TAKE ATTRROCIOUS AMMMOUNTS OF ACID SO EVERYBODY will LIKE IT AND BE FNIE
I'm fairly certain agreed is working for the effects pedal industry.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

My secret dream is that one day, someone in charge of personnel at an ad firm will see my reviews and offer me a big fat paycheck to keep doing what I love to do. Until then, I'm lucky enough to have a wife who Really Understands, provided I keep it reasonable. :q:

stun runner
Oct 3, 2006

by mons all madden
How many pedals do you own, and if you've gotten rid of some, what was the most you had at once?

the wizards beard
Apr 15, 2007
Reppin

4 LIFE 4 REAL
And why haven't you posting pictures of all the poo poo yet?

I think you're lying.

Concatenation
Jul 23, 2005

Your human mentality cries out for vengeance and thrives on the violence you say you can hardly endure.
I think Agreed has gear-itis worse than the rest of us. At least it's limited to just pedals and effects though :)

an AOL chatroom
Oct 3, 2002

Concatenation posted:

I think Agreed has gear-itis worse than the rest of us. At least it's limited to just pedals and effects though :)

I'm pretty sure he's got like 4-5 amps, too.

Engine Fortegue
Feb 1, 2004

strap me down they must sedate me

poke me prod me irritate me

bisticles posted:

I'm pretty sure he's got like 4-5 amps, too.

The only thing he doesn't have more than one of is a wife! :rimshot:

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

Engine Fortegue posted:

The only thing he doesn't have more than one of is a wife! :rimshot:

As far as you know. :q:

I don't have that much stuff. I have one 4x12 cab, one good amp, one low-end amp (Peavey Windsor, everyone ought to own one of these loud bastards, sounds much better than a $400 amp ought to... and I got mine for $180 new), one 2x12 combo with borked electronics that hasn't been played in more than a year and a half, and one vintage Randall combo that I quite like but which I try not to use too much out of fear that I'll break it somehow.

I do have a lot of pedals, though. And planning to add 3 more that I mentioned.

I did try to take a couple of family pictures yesterday, but it came out terrible. I'll post them anyway, and try to take a better one later. I am going to wait to do the full review of the Cool Cat dirt pedals until I get the other three in, but I will post a few clips this afternoon if I get a chance.

Here are the shoddily-taken, overcompressed, poorly color-balanced cameraphone pedal pictures (they don't include the Behringer GDI21 I have, but that's just my DI box for the computer and it says Behringer on it so it doesn't really count anyway).

I figured out how to make my phone take better pictures, and I'll post better ones when I post up the review.

Susano-maku da!
Nov 12, 2003

Hi. Did you order the Mongolian… Beef?
Gentlemen, I have a dilemma. The plucky bassist to The Jet Age really wanted my Charger prototype so he traded it with me... for this sexy beast.

90's G&L Legacy Premium. Not sure what year, but it's the older three bolt design. He even gave me the original case.

My dilemma is that I now have two strat-like guitars (the other being my MIA Reverend Avenger) and they're extremely difficult to compare. Can't decide which to keep and which to let go :(

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Susano-maku da! posted:

Gentlemen, I have a dilemma. The plucky bassist to The Jet Age really wanted my Charger prototype so he traded it with me... for this sexy beast.

90's G&L Legacy Premium. Not sure what year, but it's the older three bolt design. He even gave me the original case.

My dilemma is that I now have two strat-like guitars (the other being my MIA Reverend Avenger) and they're extremely difficult to compare. Can't decide which to keep and which to let go :(

I could talk with my guitarist and try to convince him to buy the G&L... He's a fender fanboy and wants an MIA and won't deviate. I keep trying to tell him a G&L is more of a "true" fender these days anyway.

Susano-maku da!
Nov 12, 2003

Hi. Did you order the Mongolian… Beef?
I have to decide if I like it over the Reverend, though.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

Well, I got the Distortion today! Still haven't brought it home and plugged it into my rig, though it sounded good in the store. I don't think it will be my favorite of the Cool Cats, but it's a nice sound, and when I get it home I might be surprised (the THD Univalve has a way of making everything plugged into it sound great). That means I've only got the Fuzz and the Metal-II left to get. The local shop says it'll be later this week or Monday before they're in. I don't think Zzounds or MF could do any better or I'd order them online to get them here quicker (I'm not in enough of a hurry to pay exorbitant shipping fees for overnight).

Here's a tease for you guys, just a couple of shamefully quick clips that I should have spent more time on before putting them on the internet :cry: If you have trouble listening to the clips streaming, then just click the "Download" link and it should play just fine.

First, a clip of the Transparent Overdrive. My focus in this clip was to demonstrate its responsiveness, and to that end I change nothing but my picking intensity and pickup position during the whole clip. No volume or tone knob changes at all, and everything on the pedal remains the same.

Schecter C-1 Classic --> Danelectro Cool Cat Transparent Overdrive --> Danelectro Dan-Echo Delay --> Marshall Reflector Reverb --> THD Univalve --> 4x12 V30/Vet30 cab (V30 mic'd)

Now, to demonstrate the Drive. I never use a distortion or high gain pedal on its own, I prefer to turn the pedal's own gain down and use an overdrive up front - I find it thickens and improves the sound just about like you'd expect using an overdrive into an amp. So this is Transparent Overdrive-->Distortion.

This one actually took me twenty minutes or so to throw together, because I whipped up a quick EZdrummer back beat and couldn't decide what I wanted to play over it. I ended up going with a cheesy, obvious blues/rock progression and then soloed over it with mostly natural minor but some more unusual scales as well. The rhythm track is all TransOD-->Drive, the solo is mostly TransOD-->Drive. The outro solo, however, is TransOD-->Metal (it's on the left, too, while the TOD-->Drive solo is on the right). I wanted to give a more focused clip to the Metal, but I didn't have time today - so here's a little taste of its lead tone (note to self, turn the gain down a bit more for the real deal).

I'm still not totally happy with the mic positioning, but I messed with it as long as I was willing to and had time for today and obviously if I was really upset with the sound I wouldn't be posting it. I will spend a bit more time really nailing the sweet spot before I post the real review clips, but it might be a week before I can get the remaining two pedals in and I don't want to have to wait that long to start posting.

Drazzy
Oct 5, 2003

If I had $20 right now, I'd probably put it towards one of my many bills that I have yet to pay.
Just showing off my 2 latest pedals: Danelectro CoolCat Drive and a Line6 Echo Park.

My pedal rig looks disgusting when they're all next to eachother, but trust me, they all sound pretty sweet together :)

PS - Agreed is right, the CoolCat pedals are great!

Only registered members can see post attachments!

oxymoron_lm
Oct 1, 2003
I just started to play around with keyboards and synths when I found an old Roland HP-100 at a thrift store for $25 last year. It sounds ok but I wanted something a little more customizable. So I bought a Juno 106 ($300 with case) and a JX-3P ($160 shipped). I'm pretty happy with them but now I have to buy some better amp that don't sound like poo poo.

Oh yeah, my room mate got this at a thrift store last month. It sounds pretty lame but it's still kind of neat and can be used as a midi controller.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

Drazzy posted:

PS - Agreed is right, the CoolCat pedals are great!

Have you checked out the Cool Cat Pedalboard? I'm going to pick one up later this month, I think - it'll be an easy way to keep the five CC's I'll be using regularly (I don't see myself using both Metals, but I will get the M-II to see if the wizard's beard is right about the same-pedal-but-with-a-hi-cut thing, and who knows, I might really dig it...). My only worry is that the 200mA Dan-o adapter won't cut it, but then again I know that's not a very legitimate worry, given that I won't be using more than two pedals at a time (three at the most) and their circuits are all pretty damned low current draw unless I am way off in my electrical understanding.

I'm not sure how I feel about the way it looks (honestly, Dan-o is getting close to retro-kitsch critical mass with the Cool Cats and their packaging and accessories), but if I can eliminate some of my current wire hell and keep the pedals safe and together at the same time, it's probably worth it for me. I wish I could find a place that had it for less than $79 (though the adapter with it might as well take $12 off the price, since that's what they run - still, even if it is pretty competitive with the industry, it just seems kind of expensive to pay that much for a 5-slot pedalboard).

I usually don't care about true bypass versus buffer, but the Dan-o FAB and "food" pedals had really lovely buffers, so I'm glad to see Dan-o stepping up and having a custom 3pdt engineered for their pedals. I like the idea of having a whole sub-pedalboard basically ghost when I don't want it on, and taking up only one outlet space instead of 5. That'll let me get some more of those dejected looking unplugged pedals back in action. :q:

Oh, and for TWB, here's a real picture of the CC Distortion so you don't accuse me of fraud again:

Keep that poo poo up and it's gonna be duel at noon, jerk face.

Agreed fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Aug 5, 2008

Drazzy
Oct 5, 2003

If I had $20 right now, I'd probably put it towards one of my many bills that I have yet to pay.

Agreed posted:

Have you checked out the Cool Cat Pedalboard? I'm going to pick one up later this month, I think - it'll be an easy way to keep the five CC's I'll be using regularly (I don't see myself using both Metals, but I will get the M-II to see if the wizard's beard is right about the same-pedal-but-with-a-hi-cut thing, and who knows, I might really dig it...). My only worry is that the 200mA Dan-o adapter won't cut it, but then again I know that's not a very legitimate worry, given that I won't be using more than two pedals at a time (three at the most) and their circuits are all pretty damned low current draw unless I am way off in my electrical understanding.

I'm not sure how I feel about the way it looks (honestly, Dan-o is getting close to retro-kitsch critical mass with the Cool Cats and their packaging and accessories), but if I can eliminate some of my current wire hell and keep the pedals safe and together at the same time, it's probably worth it for me. I wish I could find a place that had it for less than $79 (though the adapter with it might as well take $12 off the price, since that's what they run - still, even if it is pretty competitive with the industry, it just seems kind of expensive to pay that much for a 5-slot pedalboard).

I usually don't care about true bypass versus buffer, but the Dan-o FAB and "food" pedals had really lovely buffers, so I'm glad to see Dan-o stepping up and having a custom 3pdt engineered for their pedals. I like the idea of having a whole sub-pedalboard basically ghost when I don't want it on, and taking up only one outlet space instead of 5. That'll let me get some more of those dejected looking unplugged pedals back in action. :q:

Oh, and for TWB, here's a real picture of the CC Distortion so you don't accuse me of fraud again:

Keep that poo poo up and it's gonna be duel at noon, jerk face.

I've seen that pedalboard. Looks pretty alright. I'm waiting for some cash flow so I can buy a for more pedals (EQ, Phaser, Trem, Wah, and Volume), then I'm going to custom build my own board.

Early Cuyler
Jan 10, 2006

Fruit don't talk. Fruit just listen.
Oooh! Oooh! Lookit what I got!

This TS-9 is modded by Mike at AnalogMan, who does mods for Eric Johnson, Steve Vai, Kenny Wayne Shepard, Trey Anastasio...if you name a big guitar player, chances are that Mike's modded a Tube Screamer for them. For those of you who are more familiar with his stuff, I got mine modded to 808 specs, with the silver mod to smooth out the mids, a super-bright green LED, and the KWS mod, which uses stronger components and reinforces construction to make the pedal more durable.

And, after some discussion in this thread, I decided to buy this beauty on eBay:

The Epiphone Blues Custom is a 15 watt Class A/ 30 watt Class AB amp with independent EQ and a great reverb unit. I scored this for about 200 dollars less than retail, so I feel great about it! I can't wait until this stuff gets here- the pedal should be here by the middle of this week, and the amp should be here by early next week.

PoorPeteBest
Oct 13, 2005

We're not hitchhiking anymore! We're riding!

uk10rguy posted:

The Epiphone Blues Custom is a 15 watt Class A/ 30 watt Class AB amp with independent EQ and a great reverb unit. I scored this for about 200 dollars less than retail, so I feel great about it! I can't wait until this stuff gets here- the pedal should be here by the middle of this week, and the amp should be here by early next week.

You are going to love this. I've had mine going on a few months now and couldn't be happier.

qball
Aug 1, 2002

You could go and have a bite, and you'd still be hearin' that one.
Speaking of Analogman, this came in the mail last week and it's amazing.

It cleans up beautifully when you roll your guitar volume down and the fuzz is really responsive.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

qball posted:

Speaking of Analogman, this came in the mail last week and it's amazing.

It cleans up beautifully when you roll your guitar volume down and the fuzz is really responsive.

Oh man, I'm jealous. That is a nice pedal. What are they running, now?

qball
Aug 1, 2002

Agreed posted:

Oh man, I'm jealous. That is a nice pedal. What are they running, now?

Let's just say I could have probably bought six or seven of the Danelectro pedals instead :)

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

Got any clips? Let's do an informal experiment to see whether Dan-o or Analogman has more tone per penny :q:

You'll have to wait 'til the $30 Fuzz gets in at the local shop, though.

(I'm giving you a rash of poo poo, you know I'd love one of those.)

Edit: Well... gently caress.

Aramat Effects page posted:

Keith passed away peacefully early on August 4th, 2008 after a 3 and a half year fight against Glioblastoma multiforme (GBM). He never ceased to amaze us all with his strength and positive attitude.

In the near future, this site will become a tribute page with fan photos and user forums for all of the musicians who fell in love with Keith's effect pedals.

Rest in peace, Keith.

Cancer is a hungry jaw with awfully sharp teeth and no notion of selectivity in where to bite.

Agreed fucked around with this message at 08:02 on Aug 5, 2008

qball
Aug 1, 2002

Agreed posted:

Got any clips? Let's do an informal experiment to see whether Dan-o or Analogman has more tone per penny :q:

You'll have to wait 'til the $30 Fuzz gets in at the local shop, though.

(I'm giving you a rash of poo poo, you know I'd love one of those.)

I'd love to do some, just need to get some time when I can crank the Tiny Terror which is what I'm lacking at the moment.

Agreed posted:

Edit: Well... gently caress.

Rest in peace, Keith.

Cancer is a hungry jaw with awfully sharp teeth and no notion of selectivity in where to bite.

That's really sad. It's not good when nice talented guys leave us.

Engine Fortegue
Feb 1, 2004

strap me down they must sedate me

poke me prod me irritate me

Agreed I went to the Dano site and that pedal board is sexy as hell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WantlessPonder
Apr 4, 2007

Kinda like a pint a Guinness.
Speaking of pedals, I'm considering buying the MXR ZW-44 Zakk Wylde Overdrive pedal. Since I've been told the pedal is best used on a Marshall amp (JCM 800 or 900 in particular) I'm wondering if it would work well enough on a Line 6 Spider II (30w) amp to justify the price (roughly $197).