Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stonefish
Nov 1, 2004

Chillin' like a villain

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

Shia LaBoeuf

There is no right way to spell that name.

I didn't mind the screaming.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dimeat
Feb 28, 2003

Well let’s see it. I mean if it’s as big as you say, I’ll be your girlfriend. [gasps] We could go to prom together.

Stonefish posted:

I'd be cool with that. I always figured they completely underutilised the "holy poo poo, the first four years of this show occured completely differently" thing. I wanted to see how Dawn got along with Angel or Faith or Dru or... I dunno, Amy or someone else who would have only met her when she didn't exist. There was potential for some pretty cool offhand comments about poo poo that never happened that would leave you wondering.

and yeah, whoever did the voice of Buffy in that animated bit was bang-on after the first scene. Better than that terrible Giselle person who did the video games.
(Odds that it's the same person? Pretty high)

Edit: A conversation between Dawn and Oz. Now that would be a trainwreck to behold.

It was Giselle

Wikipedia posted:

Cast

o Sarah Michelle Gellar was not interested in returning to the role, since she was busy, she had not seen a script, and she was afraid of jumping the shark[8].
o Giselle Loren had already voiced 'Buffy Summers' for the Buffy video games, Buffy (Xbox) and Chaos Bleeds

* Giselle Loren as 'Buffy Summers'
* Alyson Hannigan as 'Willow Rosenberg'
* Nicholas Brendon as 'Xander Harris'
* Anthony Stewart Head as 'Rupert Giles'
* Charisma Carpenter as 'Cordelia Chase'
* Michelle Trachtenberg as 'Dawn Summers'
* Kristine Sutherland as 'Joyce Summers'
* Armin Shimerman as 'Principal Snyder'
* David Boreanaz as 'Angel'

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Ain Paradisum posted:

Seriously? She let her figure go after season 2, and got that trashy tramp stamp and I thought she looked far worse.

If you go back and watch the first few seasons of Buffy (particularly the cheerleading parts) she's got an amazing body, then suddenly between seasons 2 and 3 of Angel she actually gets chubby but somehow wears even more revealing outfits.

Sucks that she waited so long for playboy, not even the best airbrushing in the world made her look the way she used to.

Wow, you are a dumbass who has no idea what a real woman looks like. See, women have these things called curves. They occur at breast and hip-level. Woman are not meant to be sticks. Which isn't to say they should be fatties either, far from it, but Charisma Carpenter in seasons 2-5 of Angel was much hotter than she was in Buffy and season 1.

You probably thought that Sarah Michelle-Gellar was hottest when she was half-anorexic in season 7?

ETA: I gotta agree with you on the tramp stamp, though. God those things are terrible.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

We need pictures for comparison. Let the people decide!

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

redshirt posted:

We need pictures for comparison. Let the people decide!

Alright.

Those two are from season 1-3 of Buffy.

Season 1 of Angel.

Season 2 of Angel...I guess this was when she was starting to "let herself go."

Her last appearance on Angel, as a guest star in season 5. Wow...what a chunker. How a fatty like that was able to pose in Playboy, I'll never know.

Which reminds me, if you do a google image search with even moderate filtering turned on, all off the nude and semi-nude pictures of her you'll find are after she "let herself go."

Tupping Liberty
Mar 17, 2008

Never cross an introvert.

JoshVanValkenburg posted:

this is unimportant to anything in the thread, but I just watched all of firefly, and i loved it!

I'll support your Firefly talk!

I'm always kind of sad to see firefly alums go on and do something else (Jewel, Summer, and of course Nathan), just like I'm always sad to see Arrested Development alums doing something else. I always wish for them to say some inside joke.

On another note, I've had "On the Rise" from Dr. Horrible stuck in my head for two days now.

Flight Bisque
Feb 23, 2008

There is, surprisingly, always hope.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

Has anyone ever seen this footage from Buffy: The Animated Series? I know they tried to make it happen a few years ago, but I didn't know they had actually animated anything:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mnUvZP7-5LM

I got a Clerks the Animated Series vibe from that. That is a Good Thing by the way.

Stonefish
Nov 1, 2004

Chillin' like a villain

Tupping Liberty posted:

On another note, I've had "On the Rise" from Dr. Horrible stuck in my head for two days now.

First and last songs from Act 2, since the moment I saw them. drat, they're good.

Clerks Animated was very hard to describe. I mean, isn't there a rule somewhere that says you can't do flashback humour in the FIRST EPISODE of your show? :v:

Patrovsky
May 8, 2007
whatever is fine

Well I've finally finished the entire 256 episodes of Buffy and Angel, and I'm thoroughly depressed that there aren't anymore. I felt that they were both started to peak in their later seasons.

Buffy best episodes:
Hush
The Body
Once More, With Feeling
Selfless
Chosen

Angel best episodes:
A Hole in the World
Time Bomb
Not Fade Away
You're Welcome
Orpheus

Now I have to find something else to watch.

Alexandr
Jan 27, 2001

by Tiny Fistpump

whatsabattle posted:

I got a Clerks the Animated Series vibe from that. That is a Good Thing by the way.
No poo poo. It was absolutely adorable to see more HS Buffy done in partially-canon way; reverent of the source material, but divergent from it in its own manner. It's a shame it wasn't picked up before. I think Whedon's on the up nowadays, though. Perhaps something can be made of it with the fan resurgence with this footage!

Gassire
Dec 30, 2004

"They're people. Deeply flawed, yes, but deeply human too. And maybe that's saying the same thing."

Stonefish posted:

Clerks Animated was very hard to describe. I mean, isn't there a rule somewhere that says you can't do flashback humour in the FIRST EPISODE of your show? :v:

Second, and I always thought it was good, but not the second coming of Christ that Kevin Smith thought it was.

cool kids inc.
May 27, 2005

I swallowed a bug

Patrovsky posted:

Well I've finally finished the entire 256 episodes of Buffy and Angel, and I'm thoroughly depressed that there aren't anymore. I felt that they were both started to peak in their later seasons.

Buffy best episodes:
Hush
The Body
Once More, With Feeling
Selfless
Chosen

Angel best episodes:
A Hole in the World
Time Bomb
Not Fade Away
You're Welcome
Orpheus

Now I have to find something else to watch.

It's good to see so much Angel season 5 love in your post, because believe me I agree in that it's the best, but there were some EXCELLENT episodes in earlier seasons. Spin the Bottle for instance is probably one of the funniest things I've seen on tv, and even as early as season one there was some greatness. Hero was so good, and even if the circumstances surrounding it were a little less than desirable, Doyle's death scene was sooooo good.

I also enjoy the early Wes/Cordy interactions (particularly "What's a rogue demon?" and their laugh at the Buffy/Angel relationship) because she's such the perfect foil to him. I kinda wish they'd spent more time on their interactions in You're Welcome because it really was a cool dynamic.

Patrovsky
May 8, 2007
whatever is fine

cool kids inc. posted:

It's good to see so much Angel season 5 love in your post, because believe me I agree in that it's the best, but there were some EXCELLENT episodes in earlier seasons. Spin the Bottle for instance is probably one of the funniest things I've seen on tv, and even as early as season one there was some greatness. Hero was so good, and even if the circumstances surrounding it were a little less than desirable, Doyle's death scene was sooooo good.

I also enjoy the early Wes/Cordy interactions (particularly "What's a rogue demon?" and their laugh at the Buffy/Angel relationship) because she's such the perfect foil to him. I kinda wish they'd spent more time on their interactions in You're Welcome because it really was a cool dynamic.

I particularly enjoyed the Fred/Illyria arc (as if it isn't obvious) - A Hole In The World was incredibly depressing, and easily my favourite episode by a long shot. You're Welcome was a great callback to Cordelia's earlier seasons in the show, before all the Beast/Jasmine crap went down. I did enjoy season four a lot, but I felt the connections between the two villains felt a little tenuous, as if the theme suddenly changed halfway through. Both arcs are great on their own, but linked, they're a lot weaker.

But the character death episodes were all fantastic. The show did great character deaths. Differently handled to the Buffy deaths, but that's not to say that the Buffy ones were poorly handled. Just...different.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Tupping Liberty posted:

I'm always kind of sad to see firefly alums go on and do something else (Jewel, Summer, and of course Nathan), just like I'm always sad to see Arrested Development alums doing something else. I always wish for them to say some inside joke.

Adam Baldwin's also doing "Chuck" nowadays, but he remembers his roots (or at least the writers do). There's an episode where he's showing Chuck his brand new Crown Vic, and he's telling him about the badass super-spy features it has.

Chuck: "Shiny."
Casey (Baldwin): "drat right it's shiny!"

:unsmith:

iceyman
Jul 11, 2001

DrBouvenstein posted:

Delicious images of Charisma.

Agreed. I'm gay and even I can tell you Charisma is a stunningly gorgeous woman. She even managed to look great while preggos. In early Buffy, Cordelia was just typical hot. But on Angel, she really started to shine because she was the lead female of the show (no more worry over how she looks compared to boring SMG).

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

DivisionPost posted:

There's plenty to argue about on whether or not the show's in trouble (answer: it's a Whedon show, of course it's in trouble)

Of his three shows that have been on TV so far, one of them went 7 seasons, another 5, and both were getting kind of stale when they ended. Firefly is one of those like-it-or-hate-it things, but the failure of that one is pretty much all on Fox.

Now Bryan Fuller, that's a guy whose shows are doomed to die before their time.

MacBook Air Gamer
May 6, 2007

Here I go, deep type flow.
Jacques Cousteau could never get this low.

Stonefish posted:

I don't know, that always got a laugh from me.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

MacBook Air Gamer posted:

I don't know, that always got a laugh from me.
Why are we walking like this?

Psimitry
Jun 3, 2003

Hostile negotiations since 1978

Cocks Cable posted:

preggos

loving DIE.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Patrovsky posted:

I did enjoy season four a lot, but I felt the connections between the two villains felt a little tenuous, as if the theme suddenly changed halfway through. Both arcs are great on their own, but linked, they're a lot weaker.

Which two villains? The Beast and Jasmine/Cordy?

quote:

But the character death episodes were all fantastic. The show did great character deaths. Differently handled to the Buffy deaths, but that's not to say that the Buffy ones were poorly handled. Just...different.
Amen to that. Some awesome deaths! I also liked the way Whedon played with TV conventions regarding death. Tara's, for example.

Personally, I would have liked to have seen a bigger character's death in Buffy Season 7. Willow would have been a logical choice, but alas, instead we got Anya's blink-and-you-missed-it demise.

I'm with you with the episode "Selfless", but I think "Chosen" is a shaky story with a lot of plot holes and deuces all machined up.

Patrovsky
May 8, 2007
whatever is fine

redshirt posted:

Which two villains? The Beast and Jasmine/Cordy?

Amen to that. Some awesome deaths! I also liked the way Whedon played with TV conventions regarding death. Tara's, for example.

Personally, I would have liked to have seen a bigger character's death in Buffy Season 7. Willow would have been a logical choice, but alas, instead we got Anya's blink-and-you-missed-it demise.

I'm with you with the episode "Selfless", but I think "Chosen" is a shaky story with a lot of plot holes and deuces all machined up.

Yes, the Beast and Jasmine. With the Beast we've got all this darkness and gloom, and the Beast is supposedly being controlled by someone else, and then the true mastermind is revealed, and her motive is about world peace, and it doesn't really make sense that she'd use all that doom and gloom if there was another way to achieve it.

With the Chosen love, I'm a real sucker for series finales. It doesn't matter how contrived they are, as long as they've got a bit of an epic feel, I'll love it. I'll agree though, Anya's death did suck, especially seeing as she was my favourite character. I was listening to the commentary though, and Joss noted that Anya was the only main character he could kill (barring Spike, I guess) and still have it qualify as a happy ending. Anyone else, and Buffy would just be depressed.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Patrovsky posted:

Yes, the Beast and Jasmine. With the Beast we've got all this darkness and gloom, and the Beast is supposedly being controlled by someone else, and then the true mastermind is revealed, and her motive is about world peace, and it doesn't really make sense that she'd use all that doom and gloom if there was another way to achieve it.

I see where you're coming from. To answer, we could take a character's answer - Jasmine said it was all "birth pangs": labor pains in giving birth to a God. Maybe this is true, but Jasmine is an unreliable witness in this, and so much else.

We could look at also as the show presented it, which was the Beast was her henchman for a while, following her commands, doing her bidding, and then getting taken out by Angelus -- which was perhaps his real role in her plot. Who was to be Jasmine's final bad guy before her birth. She went through a bunch (Skip was another; one assumes there were many more).

The two are clearly connected from the start in that Cordy goes to Connor's "birthplace" at the precise time the Beast comes crashing out of the Earth. He clearly makes eye contact and it could be argued acknowledges her, and most importantly, does not instantly kill her. Connor should have been more suspicious of this, but alas... Connor.

Ultimately, with Jasmine's hypno power o'love, it did not really matter how she came about, as long as she came about. What came before was quickly forgotten by her new subjects, and if she had succeeded, would have been erased for all time.

I personally think everything major Connor did, the Beast did, and Cordy did in Season 4 were parts of a magic spell designed to bring about Jasmine. But that's just a theory.

Patrovsky
May 8, 2007
whatever is fine

redshirt posted:

I see where you're coming from. To answer, we could take a character's answer - Jasmine said it was all "birth pangs": labor pains in giving birth to a God. Maybe this is true, but Jasmine is an unreliable witness in this, and so much else.

We could look at also as the show presented it, which was the Beast was her henchman for a while, following her commands, doing her bidding, and then getting taken out by Angelus -- which was perhaps his real role in her plot. Who was to be Jasmine's final bad guy before her birth. She went through a bunch (Skip was another; one assumes there were many more).

The two are clearly connected from the start in that Cordy goes to Connor's "birthplace" at the precise time the Beast comes crashing out of the Earth. He clearly makes eye contact and it could be argued acknowledges her, and most importantly, does not instantly kill her. Connor should have been more suspicious of this, but alas... Connor.

Ultimately, with Jasmine's hypno power o'love, it did not really matter how she came about, as long as she came about. What came before was quickly forgotten by her new subjects, and if she had succeeded, would have been erased for all time.

I personally think everything major Connor did, the Beast did, and Cordy did in Season 4 were parts of a magic spell designed to bring about Jasmine. But that's just a theory.
Oh, I understand how the whole thing went down, and how seasons 1 - 4 were supposedly leading up to it, but I felt that the themes felt really disimilar, which made the transition between villains a little jarring.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Patrovsky posted:

Oh, I understand how the whole thing went down, and how seasons 1 - 4 were supposedly leading up to it, but I felt that the themes felt really disimilar, which made the transition between villains a little jarring.

Ah. Yes, they were quite different. I loved that though -- the very feel of the show changed for the short reign of Jasmine. I mean, the show was always dark, and for most of Season 4 it was super dark. Then Jasmine comes and everything is indeed Shiny. It was jarring thematically, on purpose. To contrast this false peace with the struggle of everyday life. As in, there won't be the magic happy ending, but rather you forge your happiness day by day, fighting for it.

Or something. I'm sure there are dozen of ways of interpreting the same events.

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

Patrovsky posted:

With the Chosen love, I'm a real sucker for series finales. It doesn't matter how contrived they are, as long as they've got a bit of an epic feel, I'll love it. I'll agree though, Anya's death did suck, especially seeing as she was my favourite character. I was listening to the commentary though, and Joss noted that Anya was the only main character he could kill (barring Spike, I guess) and still have it qualify as a happy ending. Anyone else, and Buffy would just be depressed.

Andrew.

Patrovsky
May 8, 2007
whatever is fine

SecretFire posted:

Andrew.

He wasn't really a main character though.

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now

Patrovsky posted:

Neither was Anya by season 7 :(

Brennan
Jan 18, 2005

Patrovsky posted:

Yeah, but his death would have made it a happy ending no matter what

Nondescript Van
May 2, 2007

Gats N Party Hats :toot:
does anybody else think spike is one of the goddamn funniest characters ever? especially in season 5 of Angel.

"...in a meeting Spike."
"Oh, I'm sorry. I didn't care."

gets me every time. Also, the one episode in an earlier season where he is on a rooftop staring at Angel talking to some person and he mocks the conversation is one of the funniest things i've ever seen.

Patrovsky
May 8, 2007
whatever is fine

Low Key Liar posted:

does anybody else think spike is one of the goddamn funniest characters ever? especially in season 5 of Angel.

Yes. His season 5 interactions with Angel are fantastic. For posterity:

Spike: It's bollocks, Angel! It's your brand of bollocks from first to last.
Angel: No, you can't ever see the big picture. You can't see any picture!
Spike: I am talking about something primal. Right? Savagery. Brutal animal instinct.
Angel: And that wins out every time with you. You know, the human race has evolved, Spike!
Spike: Oh, into a bunch of namby-pamby, self-analyzing wankers who could never hope to...
Angel: We're bigger. We're smarter. Plus, there's a thing called teamwork, not to mention the superstitious terror of your pure aggressors!
Spike: You just want it to be the way you want it to be.
Angel: It's not about what I want!
Wesley: Sorry. Is this something we should all be discussing?
Angel: No.
Wesley: It just sounds a little serious.
Angel: It was mostly... theoretical. We...
Spike: We were just working out a - Look, if cavemen and astronauts got into a fight, who would win?
Wesley: Ah. You've been yelling at each other for 40 minutes about this.
[pause]
Wesley: Do the astronauts have weapons?
Spike, Angel: No.

Brennan
Jan 18, 2005

my favorite is from Not Fade Away

Angel: This may come out a little pretentious, but… one of you will betray me.
*Spike raises his hand*
Angel: Wes.
Spike: Oh… can I deny you three times?

Anukis
Jan 23, 2006

I'm an empathetic, sensitive, educated, intellectually curious non-idiot. Hi.

dimeat posted:

^^ drat it beaten

The 3 minute pilot presentation thing of Buffy the Animated Series is now on youtube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mnUvZP7-5LM

Wiki article: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buffy_The_Animated_Series

All the original actors except for SMG voiced their characters. Too bad this wasn't made, it would have been interesting.
Wow, Giselle Loren is a really good soundalike, at least in that video (I haven't played the games, so I guess she could sound awful in those).

Just thinking about seeing or even hearing Nick Brendon, Alyson Hannigan, and Tony Head together again, or in more forms, makes me wish the cartoon had been bought. On a related note, I still miss Kitchen Confidential (not just for the Xander-esque fix, but that was nice).

Paradol Ex
Nov 8, 2004

by Fragmaster

SecretFire posted:

Andrew.

It always bothered me that he killed Jonathan in cold blood and basically his punishment is to be tied to a chair for a couple episodes. I mean, even Willow was given more grief for her murder.

Patrovsky posted:

I particularly enjoyed the Fred/Illyria arc (as if it isn't obvious) - A Hole In The World was incredibly depressing, and easily my favourite episode by a long shot.

"There's a hole in the world. Seems like we should have known about this." is one of my favorite lines in the whole series.

Ain Paradisum
Nov 20, 2005

by Ozma

DrBouvenstein posted:

Wow, you are a dumbass who has no idea what a real woman looks like. See, women have these things called curves. They occur at breast and hip-level. Woman are not meant to be sticks. Which isn't to say they should be fatties either, far from it, but Charisma Carpenter in seasons 2-5 of Angel was much hotter than she was in Buffy and season 1.

You probably thought that Sarah Michelle-Gellar was hottest when she was half-anorexic in season 7?

ETA: I gotta agree with you on the tramp stamp, though. God those things are terrible.

Way to come across as the biggest overreactionary human being alive. It's a shame that you didn't actually care about reading between furiously pounding your chest in nerd rage over someone not having obviously jacked off so vicariously to your she-god.

I said it started happening between seasons 2 and 3, and you post a picture from a scene not only from season 2, but also one she said she "worked out extra crazy for the month leading up to it" on the commentary.

From Buffy season 1.

From between seasons 2 and 3 of Angel.

If you're seriously not seeing that as letting yourself go then you're an even more pathetically obsessed fan than I imagined. I'm not even going to bother with screenshotting how much chubbier she got in season 3.

Stonefish
Nov 1, 2004

Chillin' like a villain
Which way do the pictures run again? I can't tell.

Ain Paradisum
Nov 20, 2005

by Ozma

Stonefish posted:

Which way do the pictures run again? I can't tell.

Sexy.

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now
You are objectively an awful person and everything that's wrong with goons.

I never liked Spike, I dunno. I always saw him as a one-trick pony, and I felt like by S7 he had worn out his welcome. And I still dislike how he was Buffy's bitch in S7 and then coincidentally he gets to have the heroic death, while one of Buffy's critics dies alone.

Writers :arghfist:

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Spike and Angel had an outstanding adversarial dynamic. And when you find out they slept together back in the day it all starts to make sense.

Patrovsky
May 8, 2007
whatever is fine

EccoRaven posted:

And I still dislike how he was Buffy's bitch in S7 and then coincidentally he gets to have the heroic death, while one of Buffy's critics dies alone.

Writers :arghfist:

I love Spike when he's not being so Buffy obsessed, but with the Buffy criticism, I felt that Anya's line about Buffy being luckier than everyone else instead of just better pretty much summed up how much of a self-important twit Buffy could be. Thus, it's one of my favourite lines of the series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nondescript Van
May 2, 2007

Gats N Party Hats :toot:

LividLiquid posted:

Spike and Angel had an outstanding adversarial dynamic. And when you find out they slept together back in the day it all starts to make sense.

what? are you just making poo poo up or did i miss something?

• Locked thread