Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC

Martytoof posted:

Mike on How It's Made would be a godsend, especially for those of us watching the Canadian broadcast with its ten different narrators -- none of which have any personality whatsoever, and that one human being that actually hosted it on-screen for a season or so.

But don't you dare change the elevator muzak <:mad:>

I could totally compromise by just having Rowe, but the music is like 50% of the problem for me. But it is probably a combination of the narration AND the music.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

See, for me it wouldn't be How It's Made if it didn't have cheesy muzak playing. I think that's also why it's the perfect show to have on in the background, or if you're having trouble falling asleep :haw:

No lie, if there was a How It's Made soundtrack CD I would probably play it every day at work.

Aero737
Apr 30, 2006
How It's Made is one of the most chill shows on TV. Nothing really to grasp or concentrate on, some relaxing (in my opinion) music, the narrator for most of the recent seasons except the latest one (in the US) is great as well. It's been going strong in Canada, but I hope it survives the fad of factory/assembly line shows that seems to be sweeping the US at the moment.

BONUS: All goons love bacon! How It's Made!

Aero737 fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Aug 6, 2008

Niklas Kronwall
Sep 23, 2005

by angerbotSD
I love How It's Made, but Mike Rowe isn't the kind of guy you want narrating it.

Rowe's narration is better when it's dramatic. His on-screen persona is funny. Neither go well with How It's Made.

However, I think Rowe would be great for Mythbusters. I really hate the Mythbusters narrator.

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything
I think the narrator for Mythbusters is more apart of the central crew then Tory, Grant and Kari.

That's just blasphemous.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Niklas Kronwall posted:

I love How It's Made, but Mike Rowe isn't the kind of guy you want narrating it.

Rowe's narration is better when it's dramatic. His on-screen persona is funny. Neither go well with How It's Made.

Well what if Mike actually went TO the factories and narrated it in person :haw:

Maduo
Sep 8, 2006

You see all the colors.
All of them.

Martytoof posted:

I thought they were hilarious on the ship and I would easily watch thirty minutes to an hour a week of those guys just shooting the poo poo in Rome or Tokyo.
This is why I love those "After The Catch" specials they run after each season of Deadliest Catch. It's just Mike and all the captains plus various special guests sitting in a dark room drinking beer and talking about fishing. I find it way more entertaining than the actual show.

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!

Martytoof posted:

Well what if Mike actually went TO the factories and narrated it in person :haw:

How It's Made is a Montreal production and you had best not forget it. :colbert:

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

The Dark One posted:

How It's Made is a Montreal production and you had best not forget it. :colbert:

Mike is more than welcome in Montreal :3:

Brick Hardmeat
May 16, 2005

-Atom- posted:

I think the narrator for Mythbusters is more apart of the central crew then Tory, Grant and Kari.

That's just blasphemous.

Where is he from? Announcer Voice takes away from an accent, but certain words he says in kind of odd ways (no examples at hand).

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Brick Hardmeat posted:

Where is he from? Announcer Voice takes away from an accent, but certain words he says in kind of odd ways (no examples at hand).

According to IMDb, the announcer voice is Robert Lee, and he is from England, but is based out of Australia.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Brick Hardmeat posted:

Exactly what I was going to post.

Exqample:

decibels = deciBELLs

BlueArmyMan
Mar 30, 2007
Hooloovoo

Martytoof posted:

Brian Unger has that gig locked down thank you very much :colbert:

Gazaar
Mar 23, 2005

.txt

BlueArmyMan posted:

Brian Unger has that gig locked down thank you very much :colbert:

Brian Unger is painfully boring to watch, he has absolutely no personality. I love How It's Made but I can't stand to watch Some Assembly Required because it's somehow more boring to watch than a disembodied voice and elevator music.

Like in the episode where he made cheese, I've already seen Mike Rowe doing this and make it genuinely entertaining, Unger just asked lame interview style questions.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I want Mike to do some dirty job at a hockey rink, but I can't really think of one that would be tremendously dirty. I guess maybe be the guy who paints the markings under the ice but that's really in the spirit of 'Dirty Jobs'. I'll be flat out honest and say that I just want to see him do it for the token Zamboni drive trial.

Now is the time that rinks will be starting to paint their poo poo so it would be an awesome time to film a segment.

Then again he's already done a bunch of jobs that aren't really dirty or tremendously difficult, so v:)v

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 15 days!

Martytoof posted:

Another favourite oldie of mine from TLC, the Secret Life of Machines, is available to watch online jesus christ YES :monocle:

http://www.exploratorium.edu/ronh/SLOM/

Do you know if the Military Channel is part of Discovery? I'd love to watch Weaponology online, youtube keeps taking the episode segments down :(

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Yeah, according to the Wiki 'Military Channel' is owned by Discovery Communications. I'm not too surprised that they'd be yanking stuff off YouTube, but it would be nice if they had some kind of online ppv or something.

I would probably subscribe to something like that, especially if I got to watch some of the good stuff here in Canada. I think we get shafted for some of the cool stuff but I could be wrong since I just get basic cable.

LordOfThePants
Sep 25, 2002

New Mythbusters tonight - Adam and Jamie see if you can use explosives to tenderize a steak.

It sounds like this is a "we've run out of ideas, lets blow something up" episode. I think next week's episode is testing viral video myths. They already sort of went into that with the diet coke/mentos thing, so I guess it'll be interesting to see what sort of myths they can go after.

the-jam
May 20, 2003

Kick Out the MC5
Did anyone bother to watch Smash Lab last night? I want to know if the new format improves it to watchable levels but not enough to risk watching it myself.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

LordOfThePants posted:

New Mythbusters tonight - Adam and Jamie see if you can use explosives to tenderize a steak.

It sounds like this is a "we've run out of ideas, lets blow something up" episode. I think next week's episode is testing viral video myths. They already sort of went into that with the diet coke/mentos thing, so I guess it'll be interesting to see what sort of myths they can go after.

Can Britney be, in fact, left alone? Tory, Grant, and Kari investigate.

sildenafil
Dec 17, 2004

They're just jealous.

Martytoof posted:

Oh man....I laughed waaaaaaaaay to hard at this.

And then I started thinking about it seriously...how the hell would you test something like that?

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

the-jam posted:

Did anyone bother to watch Smash Lab last night? I want to know if the new format improves it to watchable levels but not enough to risk watching it myself.

You just reminded me that I copied it. I guess I'll watch it tonight after I watch Mythbusters.

Ok ten minutes into the Smash Lab and they have seemed to drop any and all pretenses of doing this for humanity or saftey. The girl even goes so far to say (before their build starts) that she knows the design isn't really practical. They just seem to be given a challenge that they have to meet. In this case, stop a car from tumbling after going off a cliff.

ToastyPotato fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Aug 7, 2008

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

the-jam posted:

Yes I did, and no it does not.

The format isn't any different but they recast 2 people or something. It's still a terrible terrible show with stupid, stupid ideas.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 15 days!
I was waiting for Tori to turn around and deck Kari. ARE YOU ANGRY, ARE YOU UPSET, HUH HUH ARE YOU :haw:

:fuckoff:

Stellar_GoPens
Dec 19, 2005

I have a tough time finding the words to describe this moment.
Welp in our Man vs Wild portion, I saw Bear getting stung by a bee, then his face looking like he got :downs:

Although this guy isn't as hardcore as the camera is pointing him out to be, the guy still got some balls.

Edit:

Martytoof posted:

Hi Marty! Fancy meeting you here.

Splendiferous
May 7, 2006

wah dee dah

Stellar_GoPens posted:

Although this guy isn't as hardcore as the camera is pointing him out to be, the guy still got some balls.

oh come on, he is hardcore as gently caress

Stellar_GoPens
Dec 19, 2005

I have a tough time finding the words to describe this moment.

Splendiferous posted:

oh come on, he is hardcore as gently caress

I'll give him every credit, but I guess in a contest, I'd say Les Stroud would give him a pretty good run for his money

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

IRQ posted:

Yes I did, and no it does not.

The format isn't any different but they recast 2 people or something. It's still a terrible terrible show with stupid, stupid ideas.

Yeah the ideas are still retarded but at least its more of a challenge to create insane modifications to do stupid things instead of making things "better" to "save" people.

Today's episode of Mythbusters was TERRIBLE. Well maybe not the steak sections, which could have been a good side myth for a better episode, but the driving portion was a complete and utter waste of air time.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Stellar_GoPens posted:

Welp in our Man vs Wild portion, I saw Bear getting stung by a bee, then his face looking like he got :downs:

Like where he beat a diamondback to death while his eyes were all swollen shut and then drank a snake skin of his own piss? I don't care if he does sleep in a hotel every night, it just makes the disgusting poo poo he does even more awesome because you know he really has no reason to.

Duck from Mexico
Apr 13, 2007

by Ozma
The candy segment of How It's Made that was just on blew my loving mind. They make like this gigantic candy object with a pattern inside that is like 1.5 feet long and 8 inches in diameter. I thought that these were some sort of giant novelty candies. But no. Then they like stretch out the candy until its a centimeter in diameter and the pattern that they made stays perfectly. It's like a loving shrink ray or something. I seriously can't wrap my mind around how that works without the pattern getting all messed.

Here's the segment on youtube:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uep6FKZWRsY

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

IRQ posted:

Like where he beat a diamondback to death while his eyes were all swollen shut and then drank a snake skin of his own piss? I don't care if he does sleep in a hotel every night, it just makes the disgusting poo poo he does even more awesome because you know he really has no reason to.

How the hell is he not protested by PETA regularly? It seems like every episode is him killing wildlife for the hell of it.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

ToastyPotato posted:

How the hell is he not protested by PETA regularly? It seems like every episode is him killing wildlife for the hell of it.

Because PETA knows that if they angered Bear he would go pee on them, then kill them to slurp up his pee and "remorsefully" roast their corpses for food.

(but probably more that they wouldn't last 45 minutes in the locales Bear goes to survive in)

Brick Hardmeat
May 16, 2005

Duck from Mexico posted:

Here's the segment on youtube:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uep6FKZWRsY

That is so incredibly simple, and yet amazing.

And now I really want some of those kiwi candies.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

ToastyPotato posted:

How the hell is he not protested by PETA regularly?

Because rattlesnakes and voles aren't sensational enough to give a drat about. As soon as he starts killing baby cows or minks the angry letters will start rolling in.

Brick Hardmeat
May 16, 2005

McSpanky posted:

Because rattlesnakes and voles aren't sensational enough to give a drat about. As soon as he starts killing baby cows or minks the angry letters will start rolling in.

PETA only cares about cute animals.

or, as a cute bumper sticker I saw the other day said:

PETA cares about FUR more than LEATHER because it's easier to intimidate old rich ladies than Bikers.

Their bullshit stops at their ability to sway the average retard that hasn't done their research on them.

But that's another thread. :shobon:

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Stellar_GoPens posted:

I'd say Les Stroud would give him a pretty good run for his money

Les would complain about everything until Bear got annoyed and went home, or at least that's how I see it going down :v:

HI STELLAR :haw:

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Hey since we are (were) on the subject of "why the gently caress is this on Discovery", I'm desperately trying to figure out what the gently caress business this Criss Angel Mindfreak show has being on Discovery. Seriously, that show is terrible, even as a gimmick.

the-jam
May 20, 2003

Kick Out the MC5

Martytoof posted:

Hey since we are (were) on the subject of "why the gently caress is this on Discovery", I'm desperately trying to figure out what the gently caress business this Criss Angel Mindfreak show has being on Discovery. Seriously, that show is terrible, even as a gimmick.
You must be in some foreign country because it's not on Discovery it's on A&E in the US.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

the-jam posted:

You must be in some foreign country because it's not on Discovery it's on A&E in the US.

Yeah, I should have specified Discovery Canada :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Martytoof posted:

Yeah, I should have specified Discovery Canada :(

That's what you get for having your own separate history channel.

• Locked thread