Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

helixxo
May 2, 2005

Megaman posted:

Make sure your /etc/rc.conf has ifconfig_ed0="DHCP" if you are looking for dhcp, static is like any other UNIX machine. Then restart networking with /etc/netstart
I edited that line onto the end of the file, didn't seem to change anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megaman
May 8, 2004
I didn't read the thread BUT...

helixxo posted:

I edited that line onto the end of the file, didn't seem to change anything.

Looks like your eth0 is rd0 from what ifconfig is telling you. change that and use netstart

helixxo
May 2, 2005

Megaman posted:

Looks like your eth0 is rd0 from what ifconfig is telling you. change that and use netstart
Well it seems to make some recognition of my ethernet card and auto-assigns "re0". How do I change it?

Megaman
May 8, 2004

helixxo posted:

Well it seems to make some recognition of my ethernet card and auto-assigns "re0". How do I change it?

I'm not sure, but I guess I also want to ask the question why would you need to as long as it works? From what I know BSD detects devices with names slightly different from Linux just as Solaris does as well, is this a normal hardwire jack on a motherboard or LAN card?

Purple Haze PS3
Jul 21, 2007
anyone know how to turn off antenna diversity for a broadcom wifi chipset?

helixxo
May 2, 2005

Megaman posted:

I'm not sure, but I guess I also want to ask the question why would you need to as long as it works? From what I know BSD detects devices with names slightly different from Linux just as Solaris does as well, is this a normal hardwire jack on a motherboard or LAN card?
I thought you just said I need to change it. Yes, normal jack into mobo

Megaman
May 8, 2004

helixxo posted:

I thought you just said I need to change it. Yes, normal jack into mobo

Oh, I see what you mean. I meant since ifconfig is showing your device as re0 you should put re0 in the rc.conf instead of whatever is in there already. PM me directly if you need further help or if you don't get what I mean, I can message you on aim or something.

helixxo
May 2, 2005
Ah, got you.
I fixed it, just had to put in "ifconfig re0 up" heh. Thanks for the help

VV thank you, that's what I was looking for :) It's not too late I'm sure I'll need more help.

helixxo fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Aug 2, 2008

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

helixxo posted:

Ah, got you.
I fixed it, just had to put in "ifconfig re0 up" heh. Thanks for the help

Little late, but you may be interested in reading the The Ultimate BSD Thread™. They've got a lot of tips/tricks etc in there.

Gorilla Salsa
Dec 4, 2007

Post Post Post.
I'm not sure where else to post this, because it's kind of a low-level question, but I installed Ubuntu tonight, and while it's been for the most part an enjoyable experience, I'm having trouble installing flash, and getting Amarok to make a library out of my music on another hard drive.

For the flash issue, it says
code:
----------- Install Action Summary -----------

Adobe Flash Player 9 will be installed in the following directory:

Mozilla installation directory  = /home/<me>/.mozilla

Proceed with the installation? (y/n/q): y
cp: cannot stat `/home/<me>/Desktop/flash/libflashplayer.so': No such file or directory

NOTE: Please ask your administrator to remove the xpti.dat from the
      components directory of the Mozilla or Netscape browser.

chmod: cannot access `/home/<me>/.mozilla/plugins/libflashplayer.so': No such file or directory

Installation complete.

Perform another installation? (y/n): 
I cannot for the life of me try to redirect that "Mozilla installation directory".

As far as the Amarok thing goes, when I go to add songs to my library, it just doesn't give me the option to go to another hard drive.

I'm trying to approach this with as much modesty as possible. I didn't want to just jump in and act like I knew everything and then bitch when I fail, but I didn't want to approach this like an old woman and just assume I couldn't do it either. I can live without the Amarok thing, but I'd like to do bigger things than stumble over flash all day long. Beryl looks cool, and I'd like to see what other stuff there is to do.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

Gorilla Salsa posted:

I cannot for the life of me try to redirect that "Mozilla installation directory".

I assume you are attempting to install flash from the adobe website? Have you tried to install flash from synaptic?

you should be able to install from command line with :
code:
sudo apt-get install flashplugin-nonfree
*Assuming you have internet access.

rugbert
Mar 26, 2003
yea, fuck you
Ok, I need an app that will automatically get album art for me. Based on folder names tho. And recursively.

so if my root folder structure is:
code:
music
 |-Dillinger_Escape_Plan-Ire_Works-2007
 |-Radiohead
   |- radiohead - ok computer
   |- radiohead-hail to the thief
   |- thom york - the eraser
so hopefully something that's smart enough to substitute underscores for spaces and so on and so forth.

ATLbeer
Sep 26, 2004
Über nerd
Here comes a really stupid question

I've got a brand new Debian Etch install up and after apt-get install mysql-server I can't connect to it from the outside. It's just outright refusing to connect.

I didn't install a firewall and I don't know if there is one install by default or not. IPTables is empty and the user I'm trying to connect with has been given % host access in MySQL db privs. I'm not getting a connection denied... Just refused outright

What am I forgetting

ATLbeer fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Aug 5, 2008

covener
Jan 10, 2004

You know, for kids!

ATLbeer posted:

Here comes a really stupid question

I've got a brand new Debian Etch install up and after apt-get install mysql I can't connect to it from the outside. It's just outright refusing to connect.

I didn't install a firewall and I don't know if there is one install by default or not. IPTables is empty and the user I'm trying to connect with has been given % host access in MySQL db privs. I'm not getting a connection denied... Just refused outright

What am I forgetting

It probably only listens on an AF_UNIX socket unless configured otherwise. Configure it to listen for TCP connections.

ATLbeer
Sep 26, 2004
Über nerd

covener posted:

It probably only listens on an AF_UNIX socket unless configured otherwise. Configure it to listen for TCP connections.
Not familiar with the distinction between the two unfortunately. This is how it's currently running if it helps. It appears like it should be running on it's default 3306 port.

code:
prdvmdb01:~# ps aux | grep mysql
root      3706  0.0  0.2   3664  1292 pts/0    S    13:19   0:00 /bin/sh /usr/bin/mysqld_safe
mysql     3743  0.0  3.2 126632 17000 pts/0    Sl   13:19   0:00 /usr/sbin/mysqld --basedir=/usr --datadir=/var/lib/mysql --user=mysql --pid-file=/var/run/mysqld/mysqld.pid --skip-external-locking --port=3306 --socket=/var/run/mysqld/mysqld.sock
root      3745  0.0  0.1   2744   568 pts/0    S    13:19   0:00 logger -p daemon.err -t mysqld_safe -i -t mysqld
root      3817  0.0  0.1   2848   700 pts/0    R+   13:35   0:00 grep mysql
prdvmdb01:~# 

covener
Jan 10, 2004

You know, for kids!

ATLbeer posted:

Not familiar with the distinction between the two unfortunately. This is how it's currently running if it helps. It appears like it should be running on it's default 3306 port.

maybe bind-address in /etc/mysql/my.cnf? Listening on localhost only?

ATLbeer
Sep 26, 2004
Über nerd

covener posted:

maybe bind-address in /etc/mysql/my.cnf? Listening on localhost only?
Bind address was 127.0.0.1

Bingo... Danke

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe
What does a return code of -1 for mv indicate? The manual only says that nonzero indicates failure, but doesn't go into any further detail. The server in question is running redhat 2.6.9-22.

Gorilla Salsa
Dec 4, 2007

Post Post Post.

deong posted:

I assume you are attempting to install flash from the adobe website? Have you tried to install flash from synaptic?

you should be able to install from command line with :
code:
sudo apt-get install flashplugin-nonfree
*Assuming you have internet access.

That worked, great!

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

Dominoes posted:

Short question that I've been wondering about since I started playing with Linux several years ago: In Gnome, what does mouse "sensitivity" do? "Acceleration" changes the sensitivity.

Bumping this because I'm curious why no one has been able to answer it ever.

Lucien
May 2, 2007

check it out i'm a samurai ^_^

Dominoes posted:

Bumping this because I'm curious why no one has been able to answer it ever.
It's like an initial threshold for mouse movement. The difference becomes obvious when you have acceleration set to lowest and play around with sensitivity.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
Quick question here: A new computer, no OS on it. I want to dual boot XP and Ubuntu. Is it better/easier to install Windows first then Ubuntu or vice versa?

dont skimp on the shrimp
Apr 23, 2008

:coffee:

HPL posted:

Quick question here: A new computer, no OS on it. I want to dual boot XP and Ubuntu. Is it better/easier to install Windows first then Ubuntu or vice versa?
As long as you partition in a sane way, it's easier with windows first and then linux. Windows will overwrite the MBR, so you'd have to reinstall grub if you do linux first.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

Zom Aur posted:

As long as you partition in a sane way, it's easier with windows first and then linux. Windows will overwrite the MBR, so you'd have to reinstall grub if you do linux first.

Yeah, that's what I was kind of figuring. Wasn't totally sure though. I love Ubuntu, but still need some apps that just won't run with Wine. I'm sure most folks here know the deal already.

bitprophet
Jul 22, 2004
Taco Defender

HPL posted:

Yeah, that's what I was kind of figuring. Wasn't totally sure though. I love Ubuntu, but still need some apps that just won't run with Wine. I'm sure most folks here know the deal already.

Any reason VMWare won't fill that gap? The only reason I've ever needed to boot Windows natively is for performance reasons (e.g. gaming). Otherwise, VMWare (Fusion on the Mac now, or whatever its linux client was named back 5 years ago in the past) works beautifully.

AFAIK their Linux client is still free.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

bitprophet posted:

Any reason VMWare won't fill that gap? The only reason I've ever needed to boot Windows natively is for performance reasons (e.g. gaming). Otherwise, VMWare (Fusion on the Mac now, or whatever its linux client was named back 5 years ago in the past) works beautifully.

AFAIK their Linux client is still free.

Too much hardware stuff going on. I'm using Nokia PC Suite in Windows, which needs USB access and I'm also doing video editing as well, so I need every ounce of horsepower I can get. Games too.

Accipiter posted:

USB works fine in VMWare.

It does for general purpose stuff like game controllers and mice, but with phones and phone software, it gets a little tricky. Overall, I'd rather just dual boot and be done with it. Sometimes software developers just don't play well with others.

HPL fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Aug 6, 2008

Accipiter
Jan 24, 2004

SINATRA.

HPL posted:

Too much hardware stuff going on. I'm using Nokia PC Suite in Windows, which needs USB access and I'm also doing video editing as well, so I need every ounce of horsepower I can get. Games too.

Games, however, would probably be best served in a native environment.

dont skimp on the shrimp
Apr 23, 2008

:coffee:

Accipiter posted:

Games, however, would probably be best served in a native environment.
Some games work pretty good in wine, most newer don't though.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

How secure is SSH on Debian?

And by that I mean, is it secure enough to open a port to the SSH port on my Linux test box?

I'm a dyed in the wool Windows admin, but I'm not the kind of Windows guy that sees no use in Linux. I set up a linux test box in a VM, partially to learn more about linux administration, and partially to have an easy way to pop into the network remotely (via Putty).

Basically, I opened a port on the firewall (not 22) that points to the SSH port on my linux box. That is the only port pointing to the box. If I just keep up on updates am I fine to leave it like that, or is there something more I need to do to lock down SSH?

SynVisions
Jun 29, 2003

Phat_Albert posted:

And by that I mean, is it secure enough to open a port to the SSH port on my Linux test box?

I'm a dyed in the wool Windows admin, but I'm not the kind of Windows guy that sees no use in Linux. I set up a linux test box in a VM, partially to learn more about linux administration, and partially to have an easy way to pop into the network remotely (via Putty).

Basically, I opened a port on the firewall (not 22) that points to the SSH port on my linux box. That is the only port pointing to the box. If I just keep up on updates am I fine to leave it like that, or is there something more I need to do to lock down SSH?

It's fine as long as you keep up with security updates.

It's sometimes recommended to disable root login via SSH (Set PermitRootLogin no in /etc/ssh/sshd_config - or wherever your sshd config file is), other than that I wouldn't worry about it too much as long as you don't have bad passwords.

Being the primary point of remote access, SSH is required to have a high level of reliability/security :)

SynVisions fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Aug 6, 2008

Accipiter
Jan 24, 2004

SINATRA.

SynVisions posted:

It's sometimes recommended to disable root login via SSH (Set PermitRootLogin no in /etc/sshd_config), other than that I wouldn't worry about it too much as long as you don't have bad passwords.

Unless you like watching your logs fill up from bots trying to brute force your poo poo.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

SynVisions posted:

It's sometimes recommended to disable root login via SSH (Set PermitRootLogin no in /etc/sshd_config), other than that I wouldn't worry about it too much as long as you don't have bad passwords.

Being the primary point of remote access, SSH is required to have a high level of reliability/security :)

I'll disable root logins, since I never use root anyways. I figured it was secure, but I wanted to make sure.

EDIT: Uh, I can still get in as root, do I have to restart the SSHD service? How do I do that in Debian?

JoeNotCharles
Mar 3, 2005

Yet beyond each tree there are only more trees.

Phat_Albert posted:

EDIT: Uh, I can still get in as root, do I have to restart the SSHD service? How do I do that in Debian?

/etc/init.d/sshd restart

If lots of people have logins on this box, you might want to disallow all of them except you unless you can audit all the passwords to be sure they're strong enough.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

JoeNotCharles posted:

/etc/init.d/sshd restart

If lots of people have logins on this box, you might want to disallow all of them except you unless you can audit all the passwords to be sure they're strong enough.

Got it, oddly enough, mine is just called ssh, not sshd.

Mr. Eric Praline
Aug 13, 2004
I didn't like the others, they were all too flat.

Phat_Albert posted:

SSH is about as secure as it gets, and very well maintained. It's had it's share of exploits, but they're rare and shut down pretty quick, so just keep on top of patches.

You can lock it down pretty tight as well, without too much work. Debian's build is tcpwrapper aware, so you can limit access to specific networks and computers via /etc/hosts.allow and /etc/hosts.deny.

Limit the number of SSH sessions, disable SSH1 entirely, audit failed logins, etc.

You can avoid passwords entirely by implementing public key authentication, and make that more secure by requiring a passphrase.

Really, if you're not running any other services, you should just firewall everything except port 22, and use local tunnels for all your other traffic.

uncleTomOfFinland
May 25, 2008

Rather than disable individual accounts you should deny everything by default and allow specific accounts/groups you want to use with SSH. Also running SSH in some utterly random non-privileged port might reduce the amount of "extra" traffic it gets.

uncleTomOfFinland fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Aug 7, 2008

Alowishus
Jan 8, 2002

My name is Mud
I'd add DenyHosts to the equation. It's perfect if you are going to be accessing SSH from enough potentially different IPs that using tcpwrappers is impractical... you can set it so that ~3 unsuccessful login attempts from any IP will get that IP blocked automatically. That plus good passwords and you should be in excellent shape.

SynVisions
Jun 29, 2003

Pavol Paska posted:

Also running SSH in some utterly random non-privileged port might reduce the amount of "extra" traffic it gets.

I prefer doing this on personal servers that nobody else has access to because it basically removes all of the brute force clutter from my logs and makes it easy to spot real intrusion attempts. I was hesitant to bring it up though because using a non-standard port for SSH can evoke nerd holy wars (and I think it did last time I brought it up).

If you plan on doing this the only things you may want to follow are:

SynVisions fucked around with this message at 07:50 on Aug 7, 2008

crazysim
May 23, 2004
I AM SOOOOO GAY
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_TCP_and_UDP_port_numbers

is also a good resource.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Into The Mild
Mar 4, 2003

I recieved a old-ish laptop from my sister, who was going to throw it away because it was "broken" I ended fixing the battery problem and scored a new laptop.

So I installed Kubuntu KDE4, then quickly went to KDE3... then decided to just try Ubuntu.. and man I'm seriously impressed with Gnome now

The problem is that laptop uses a 855GM graphics chipset and man does the ubuntu copy of the intel driver suck, freezes most times i sleep the laptop, and when starting a video it will crash probably 20% of the time.. just a blank screen, and the cpu fan goes crazy.

I looked into it, and it turns out theres a few people on the ubuntu forums complaining about the intel driver for X with the same problems as me, random blank screen crashes, cpu gets maxed out and you have to hard shut it down.

It's a shame really.

I'm trying out openSuse to see if that distro has any problems... so far nothing.