Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mutt2jeff
Oct 2, 2004
The one, the only....

Z3n posted:

Same reason you put your foot down anywhere else, or why road racers drag a knee...lean angle gauge and you can save slides on your it on your knee/foot.

But would they not be better off riding road racer style on the nice paved section? Hayden rode a supermoto like that when qualifying for the x-games, and he cut a second off the track record, so I dont think the . I can understand keeping your foot down if you just came off a dirt section and have dirty tires/ dirty track, but shouldn't you be faster using road racer technique when you can, rather than just lean angle on the bike?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

mutt2jeff posted:

But would they not be better off riding road racer style on the nice paved section? Hayden rode a supermoto like that when qualifying for the x-games, and he cut a second off the track record, so I dont think the . I can understand keeping your foot down if you just came off a dirt section and have dirty tires/ dirty track, but shouldn't you be faster using road racer technique when you can, rather than just lean angle on the bike?

Depends on the corner, on the track, and what the rider is most comfortable with...hayden will be fast on anything, given his skills, and can handle mad slides in knee down fashion without an issue, whereas other riders may not be able to ride like that comfortably on the bike, killing their cornerspeed, entries, or throttle application.

Also can depend on bike setup...moving your weight around will change how the bike is going to handle and perform in certain situations.

It's one of those things where there is no "right" answer. You can't say that it's always faster to ride knee down, or foot out, it's about what works best for a given corner and a given situation, and you will see SM racers duking it out in both styles, most often depending on backround, although there are exceptions like hayden, who's just fast, period.

Me, I use knee down in long, drawn out corners, and sit more upright or put my foot out when it may be sliding or i'd be transitioning from side to side very quickly. Just depends...

Z3n fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Aug 4, 2008

WTFBEES
Apr 21, 2005

butt

Z3n posted:

Same reason you put your foot down anywhere else, or why road racers drag a knee...lean angle gauge and you can save slides on your it on your knee/foot.

Plus, it puts (marginally) more weight on the front end, which helps get the back end around.

mutt2jeff posted:

If you're talking about this year's X-games, that track record thing is not true. Here are the qualifying times.

Hayden was quite a bit off the pace and ended up not running the event. Now, you could argue that his times were due to the very tough dirt section that would have been at home in a supercross race, but the dedicated SM guys were quite a bit faster.

Plus, that track was just built for the event. There wasn't a track record before last week.

WTFBEES fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Aug 4, 2008

mutt2jeff
Oct 2, 2004
The one, the only....

WTFBEES posted:

Plus, it puts (marginally) more weight on the front end, which helps get the back end around.

If you're talking about this year's X-games, that track record thing is not true. Here are the qualifying times.

Hayden was quite a bit off the pace and ended up not running the event. Now, you could argue that his times were due to the very tough dirt section that would have been at home in a supercross race, but the dedicated SM guys were quite a bit faster.

Plus, that track was just built for the event. There wasn't a track record before last week.

This is what I am talking about, I guess it must have just been practice for the x-games, not qualifying.
http://www.racerxill.com/breakingnews/article/5982/nicky-hayden-to-race-supermoto-in-x-games.aspx

"Did you know that Moto GP World Champion, Nicky Hayden is competing in Supermoto in this weekends X Games?

The factory Honda rider asked his employer about racing the event but they didn't have a bike ready or the man-power to help him. So, they put him in touch with Troy Lee and he will be riding a Troy Lee Designs Red Bull Honda alongside Jeff Ward, David Pingree and Cassidy Anderson.

Nicky tested the bike several times this week and promptly posted lap times at Adams Cart Track in Riverside, one of the local Supermoto tracks, that were a full second quicker than the previous fastest lap at that track. Nicky follwed that up with some laps alongside his new teammates at the Honda supercross test track where he was a little less comfortable. Still, Hayden will be a favorite when the final blasts off the line for the Supermoto final this Saturday at 4:00pm PST. Watch it live on ESPN."

The reason Hayden didn't do well is obvious, its wasn't a true supermoto track. X-games gotta go big, and pavement is 'boring' so it was more like 70% dirt and jumps. Hayden isn't a motocross rider, and doesn't do well on big jumps and in the dirt. Plus, he has a job to keep, so he cant be injured dinking around.

mutt2jeff fucked around with this message at 07:13 on Aug 4, 2008

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.

Gullous posted:

R1 Enduro

This guy is crazy. That bike has to be so worn out. 2:40 is ridiculous, why didn't he just go around the puddle?

Last year or the year before He had been interviewed in BIKE magazine. He said he took and R1 just to show it could be done on a sport bike and they weren't limited to just the streets.

He had made mention that he actually had and easier time in some of the ruts and mud puddles. When the stuff got like axle grease the knobbie guys would dig in and sling mud all over... He would pin the throttle going into it and slither over/through it...

The spot where his pipe is full of water and he coughs it to life just amazes me.

Modern Vagina
Oct 11, 2004

Who wants chowder?

mutt2jeff posted:

...its the ultimate A.I. goon.

ChiliMac posted:

Goddamnit

Getting all three matching was a little bit of luck, helped by the fact that color selection for these vehicles is pretty limited. The base '97 Miata came in red, white, and a really gay sky blue. When I bought my Ninja the dealership was out of green, so my choices were blue or red. The 2006 SV650/S came in blue or red, so it was luck that I found a good deal on a red one.

I took the SV out this week-end and it is a nice bike. I'm very happy with my purchase, but sad that I'll have to sell off my first bike. We had such good times together. Since this is a pictures thread, here are some pictures from my 2,000 mile road trip on my Ninja 250. I went from San Jose, CA to Spokane, WA and back. The shots on the trip to Spokane were taken with my phone. Most of the pictures from the return leg were shot with a camera mounted on my gas tank.

First of all, I hate bugs. Every 70 miles or so I had to stop and clean them off. The tiny windscreen did a great job of directing bugs toward my visor. Notice the rest of my helmet is pretty clean, but the visor is totally covered:

Somewhere near the Redwood Highway:

I got a lot more photos on the return trip.

Welcome to Oregon

Somewhere in eastern Oregon

Soon after that my odometer hit 5,000 miles.

Look at beautiful Mt. Shasta... oh wait it was completely covered by clouds.

I took I-5 on the way back so a lot of the trip looked like this.

Click on any of the images to get the original size. The full gallery of pictures from my trip is here, but 90% of the images are just random boring shots from the tank cam.

VVVV I have family in Spokane, but "live for the journey, not the destination" definitely applied here.

Modern Vagina fucked around with this message at 09:55 on Aug 4, 2008

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter
All that just to end up in... Spokane? Bummer.

I kid, of course. That's a pretty impressive trip, especially on a 250, I would think. Grats on the new bike, too.

WTFBEES
Apr 21, 2005

butt

mutt2jeff posted:

The reason Hayden didn't do well is obvious, its wasn't a true supermoto track. X-games gotta go big, and pavement is 'boring' so it was more like 70% dirt and jumps. Hayden isn't a motocross rider, and doesn't do well on big jumps and in the dirt. Plus, he has a job to keep, so he cant be injured dinking around.

I agree that the track was a bit much. Though considering the time limitations, they did fairly well. It was more or less the pavement section of the rally cars and the dirt from the supercross track.

Still, I'd love to see Hayden at a real AMA event. I still don't think he can beat the top tier guys, but I could be wrong.

Going back to the knee out vs foot down, watch this video. Notice how Hayden's bike looks far twitchier than than the guys with a foot out. Now, being a badass he can get away with it. But I still think he'd be faster (especially in quick transitions) with a foot out.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

WTFBEES posted:

I agree that the track was a bit much. Though considering the time limitations, they did fairly well. It was more or less the pavement section of the rally cars and the dirt from the supercross track.

Still, I'd love to see Hayden at a real AMA event. I still don't think he can beat the top tier guys, but I could be wrong.

Going back to the knee out vs foot down, watch this video. Notice how Hayden's bike looks far twitchier than than the guys with a foot out. Now, being a badass he can get away with it. But I still think he'd be faster (especially in quick transitions) with a foot out.

A number of years back, when Nicky was still in AMA, he came out to thunderhill and ran 1:47s on his RC51. That's...absurd. Unbelievably absurd. For reference, the best of the best guys out there now in club racing are pulling 1:48s.

If you need reference for him beating the AMA guys, look at the performances at laguna...Spies was 8th on a track that he knows well and hayden was 5th.

Plus, there's a pretty divide between the suzukis and the rest of the field...I think that if you put him on one of the zooks he'd do just fine.

And that video is one of my favorites :xd:

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Britain's Craig Jones killed yesterday during a race:

Video

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

FUCK BITCHES, ROUTE PACKETS

Gravy Boat 2k
wow that sucks. I'm having a hard part trying to see the moment where he was hit that caused him to die. I guess his neck was run over or he was hit with the other motorcycle?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Bob Morales posted:

Britain's Craig Jones killed yesterday during a race:

Video

gently caress, I saw that video yesterday, and the last update I'd heard he was in a medically induced coma :(

RIP, Craig Jones :(

He got hit in the head by the other bike at full speed. Serious head trama as a result.

WTFBEES
Apr 21, 2005

butt

Z3n posted:

A number of years back, when Nicky was still in AMA, he came out to thunderhill and ran 1:47s on his RC51. That's...absurd. Unbelievably absurd. For reference, the best of the best guys out there now in club racing are pulling 1:48s.

If you need reference for him beating the AMA guys, look at the performances at laguna...Spies was 8th on a track that he knows well and hayden was 5th.

Plus, there's a pretty divide between the suzukis and the rest of the field...I think that if you put him on one of the zooks he'd do just fine.

And that video is one of my favorites :xd:

Oh sorry. I meant in an AMA Supermoto race. I'm pretty sure he'd clean house in a sportbike race.

And yes, that may be the best video ever. I'll use any excuse to post it.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Nice.

Click here for the full 1024x768 image.

wzm
Dec 12, 2004

New rider on a new bike hit a parked car?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

wzm posted:

New rider on a new bike hit a parked car?

Apparently trying to do a wheelie in an apartment parking lot.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Got some backstory on this?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Phat_Albert posted:

Got some backstory on this?

http://www.sportbikes.net/forums/general-sportbikes/398832-noobs-play-watch-your-back.html

quote:

UPDATE UPDATE UPDATE UPDATE

I just got a call from a guy that knows what happened to the GSXR. The kid was trying to wheelie in the parking lot, and was at 15k rpm when he went right into the side of the car. (anyone want to tell me how fast he was going? I'm thinking around 35 or 40 maybe?)

He bought the bike on July 27th. God, this is the funniest thing in the world. He's alright, but his brand new bike is totally ruined because he though trying to wheelie in a 15mph parking lot would be a good idea.

This is freaking epic. I'm still laughing.

Also, the handlebars came OFF of the forks. The entire front end is really, really demolished. I wouldn't be surprised if there was damage to the front of the frame as well. Really, just look at the picture of the bike close up and notice how messed up that front end is.

Click here for the full 1024x768 image.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Ah, sb.net, figures.

quote:

I just got a call from a guy that knows what happened to the GSXR. The kid was trying to wheelie in the parking lot, and was at 15k rpm when he went right into the side of the car. (anyone want to tell me how fast he was going? I'm thinking around 35 or 40 maybe?)

Haha, 15K in 1st on a a 600 is like 75mph.

Beve Stuscemi fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Aug 6, 2008

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib

Phat_Albert posted:

Ah, sb.net, figures.

Yup, I can vouch for that. My F4i (why did I sell that thing ..?) hit 70mph at redline (14.5K).

GriszledMelkaba
Sep 4, 2003

That is the type of thing that makes me such a pussy when I think about trying to wheelie my r6.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Phat_Albert posted:

Ah, sb.net, figures.

I don't think that the bike would be in that good of condition after going into the side of the car at 75 :haw:

Looks like about 30-40mph?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Z3n posted:

I don't think that the bike would be in that good of condition after going into the side of the car at 75 :haw:

Looks like about 30-40mph?

I know, the guess on speed was probably right, but he definitely wasnt spinning 15K.

The lesson we can take from this is that everything and everyone on sportbikes.net are total and complete retards.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Phat_Albert posted:

The lesson we can take from this is that everything and everyone on sportbikes.net are total and complete retards.

I organized a meet for a bunch of people from sbn.net one year at a local ice cream place. I can vouch that most of them are complete retards. The ice cream place is on a pretty major road in my city and half of them pulled up to the place on one wheel and were just being general idiots.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Phat_Albert posted:

I know, the guess on speed was probably right, but he definitely wasnt spinning 15K.

When I'm feeling hateful I go read the gixxer.com crash forum for a bit. It's pretty cathartic.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I can personally vouch for the SBN forums stupidity, I used to be a mod there.

They had a Wisconsin forum, but I was never interested in meeting any of them.

inolen
Dec 10, 2003

GriszledMelkaba posted:

That is the type of thing that makes me such a pussy when I think about trying to wheelie my r6.

It's definitely not something to do unless you love pissing away money.

Both learning properly and going out doing power wheelies are expensive. One way you'll be nickel and dimed to death breaking misc. parts over and over, the other you'll just eventually total out your bike with one wreck.

I completely trashed one 03 r6 stubbornly learning on it instead of buying a more suitable bike. A few months back I started adding up the major purchases I had made for my f4i over the past 3 years and easily hit 10k within a couple of minutes.

bung
Dec 14, 2004

More rumors of a new V5 VFR

GriszledMelkaba
Sep 4, 2003

inolen posted:

It's definitely not something to do unless you love pissing away money.

Both learning properly and going out doing power wheelies are expensive. One way you'll be nickel and dimed to death breaking misc. parts over and over, the other you'll just eventually total out your bike with one wreck.

I completely trashed one 03 r6 stubbornly learning on it instead of buying a more suitable bike. A few months back I started adding up the major purchases I had made for my f4i over the past 3 years and easily hit 10k within a couple of minutes.

Whoa hey dude I didn't know you were still around.

All I'm comfortable with is the random foot-high 2nd gear clutch-ups on straightaways and then the people I'm riding with do a much bigger one than me and I hang my head in shame.

Xlyfindel
Dec 16, 2003
Raw Esoteric

I wonder if they're using a marginally larger RC211V for this. I mean it would be insane to do so, but I'd defect over to a honda for an engine like that.

FunkyJunk
Jul 14, 2004

Xlyfindel posted:

I wonder if they're using a marginally larger RC211V for this. I mean it would be insane to do so, but I'd defect over to a honda for an engine like that.

Don't get your wallet out just yet. MCN's not exactly the most reliable source.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Phat_Albert posted:

It seemed like it was okay a few years ago. Now its just people asking about lowering their R6 and RIM TAPE

dietcokefiend
Apr 28, 2004
HEY ILL HAV 2 TXT U L8TR I JUST DROVE IN 2 A DAYCARE AND SCRATCHED MY RAZR
Saw this today... kinda odd, lol

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

FunkyJunk posted:

MCN's not exactly the most reliable source.

Since when the hell has the VTR250 been available in America for years? Unless they're referring to Central and/or South America, in which case I have no idea if it's been sold there or not.

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

dietcokefiend posted:

I considered doing this once upon a time, managed to find someone who'd ride with my to the shop though.

bung
Dec 14, 2004

The level of detail that this guys puts into a Yamaha M1 model is insane!

Click here for the full 640x480 image.

orinth
Apr 15, 2003

NFC WEST IS THE BEST

dietcokefiend posted:

some guy bought some tires from me and showed up on his bike

Chopsy
Dec 27, 2005

GUNS GUNS GUNS
BIKES BIKES
YOUR MOM

orinth posted:

some guy bought some tires from me and showed up on his bike

Yep. That's pretty much the only way to do it when you're a carless biker like me. 'Course, now i have a big-rear end rear rack that simplifies the job a bit, but I had to wear 'em like a belt for quite some time before that.

Stoic Commie
Aug 29, 2005

by XyloJW

Nate Falls posted:

Yep. That's pretty much the only way to do it when you're a carless biker like me. 'Course, now i have a big-rear end rear rack that simplifies the job a bit, but I had to wear 'em like a belt for quite some time before that.

And if you crash, you'll bounce to safety!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Please, please tell me those are Michelins.