Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

Engine Fortegue posted:

Agreed I went to the Dano site and that pedal board is sexy as hell.

It's a really functional pedalboard, too - it retains the cool cats with a rolling tensioner and two little clippy things at the bottom, hard to describe but basically you press them in, press them down, and they're staying there no matter how hard you stomp. And it's a handy carrying case.

I still don't know if I am all over the faux-retro of it, but there's better than even money that I'll buy one to case my Cats.

WantlessPonder posted:

Speaking of pedals, I'm considering buying the MXR ZW-44 Zakk Wylde Overdrive pedal. Since I've been told the pedal is best used on a Marshall amp (JCM 800 or 900 in particular) I'm wondering if it would work well enough on a Line 6 Spider II (30w) amp to justify the price (roughly $197).

No.

I had a very un-fun few months in a band where the other guitarist insisted on using a 100W Spider II with a Boss GT-8. The GT-8 isn't a peach in the first place, but it's got some decent enough sounds in it if you really spend the time to dig into it... But the Spider II was just terrible, in every single way, and wouldn't play nicely with anything we could get out of it. The Spider II may have some good sounds in it, I don't know, I'll leave that up to people that own them to find out (the Spider III I think sucks terribly, though the Spider Valves sound pretty good). But I can just about guarantee that it is not going to sound like you want it to. The Zakk Wylde overdrive really is an overdrive, too, not a distortion pedal, and it's meant to go in front of a cranked amp to give a boost and some added harmonic content to the amp's own roaring distortion. It isn't true that it only works in front of a Marshall, but I really doubt the Spider II is going to gain any real advantage from having an overdrive up front. In fact, if the input isn't pretty robust on it, you might just clip the input and get a really ugly sound as a result.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 10 days!
The overdrive should work with the spider no problem, but yeah, it wont make it suck any less.

Zakalwe
May 12, 2002

Wanted For:
  • Terrorism
  • Kidnapping
  • Poor Taste
  • Unlawful Carnal Gopher Knowledge
I had a Line6 Spider II 21 and it sucked balls with pedals. Also it was nearly impossible to dial in a good neutral clean channel. I resorted to using the green metal channel with the gain all the way back. You can't put an overdrive in front of it and expect it to drive the distortion harder. It just sort of "BLARTS".
That being said the amp sounds were OK. I just dialed up some "insane" most of the time and rocked out.

Edit: The World Music Supply guy plays a ZW OD into a DSL 401 in a youtube review and it sounds like sex. The pedal's pretty noisy though when he's not playing.

The Spookmaster
Sep 9, 2002

Just picked up a SUNN Concert Bass head but thanks to the storms in Chicago our practice space flooded and my cab got a nice bath in 6 inches of water. Hopefully I can dry everything out without any trouble :(

MajorMajor
Nov 11, 2005

Some people say you are Henry Fonda.
I just picked up the combo #4 from the Musician's Lounge Value Menu: a backwards MIM Tele and a Roland Microcube. I started playing about 8 months ago, but this is my first electric. I'd been keeping an eye on the stock of local shops, eBay, and Craigslist for months and months hoping to find something inexpensive that I liked, but there are just not a lot of left handed guitars out there. I found this on eBay, but it was being sold by a pawn broker. I was so tired of looking around (and waiting for Kurt at Rondo to stock more red wine spalted Agile ALs) that I decided to roll the dice and take the chance that it would be a lemon. I ended up winning the auction for $201! It arrived packaged very carefully and in great shape. The only thing wrong with it was sharp fret edges and a missing cap on the pickup selector switch. I took it in to True Tone Music for a setup and now it looks, feels, and sounds awesome. I'm very happy with it.

I love the color too.

I have one question about the model. A serial number lookup shows that it was made in Mexico in 2003-2004, but there's a sticker on the back of the headstock with a star and the Fender logo with the words "special edition." What makes this guitar special or different from a normal MIM tele? The serial is MZ3189011.

Descendent
Jul 8, 2003

One, Two, Three, Four!

MajorMajor posted:

I just picked up the combo #4 from the Musician's Lounge Value Menu: a backwards MIM Tele and a Roland Microcube. I started playing about 8 months ago, but this is my first electric. I'd been keeping an eye on the stock of local shops, eBay, and Craigslist for months and months hoping to find something inexpensive that I liked, but there are just not a lot of left handed guitars out there. I found this on eBay, but it was being sold by a pawn broker. I was so tired of looking around (and waiting for Kurt at Rondo to stock more red wine spalted Agile ALs) that I decided to roll the dice and take the chance that it would be a lemon. I ended up winning the auction for $201! It arrived packaged very carefully and in great shape. The only thing wrong with it was sharp fret edges and a missing cap on the pickup selector switch. I took it in to True Tone Music for a setup and now it looks, feels, and sounds awesome. I'm very happy with it.

I love the color too.

I have one question about the model. A serial number lookup shows that it was made in Mexico in 2003-2004, but there's a sticker on the back of the headstock with a star and the Fender logo with the words "special edition." What makes this guitar special or different from a normal MIM tele? The serial is MZ3189011.

If you're like me, you're gonna have a hard time playing a guitar thats not a maple fretboard Fender. They feel so drat nice!

Descendent fucked around with this message at 06:21 on Aug 6, 2008

Hamer777
Jan 23, 2006

oxymoron_lm posted:

Oh yeah, my room mate got this at a thrift store last month. It sounds pretty lame but it's still kind of neat and can be used as a midi controller.

Well if you ever want to get rid of it let me know! How much did he pay for it?

Zakalwe
May 12, 2002

Wanted For:
  • Terrorism
  • Kidnapping
  • Poor Taste

MajorMajor posted:

I just picked up the combo #4 from the Musician's Lounge Value Menu: a backwards MIM Tele and a Roland Microcube.

drat good choice my fellow lefty. On the microcube there's a setting for microphones. If you turn the gain all the way up and play a guitar through it you get a nice fuzz tone out of it.

Los Padre
Mar 26, 2007

Los Padre is an interesting and sensitive fellow.

MajorMajor posted:

What makes this guitar special or different from a normal MIM tele? The serial is MZ3189011.
Fender does a lot of "special edition finishes." I'd guess it's just a finish/color they don't normally use. (It sparkles!)
Or it looks that way in the photo.

ForbiddenWonder
Feb 15, 2003

Zakalwe posted:

drat good choice my fellow lefty. On the microcube there's a setting for microphones. If you turn the gain all the way up and play a guitar through it you get a nice fuzz tone out of it.

Hey, i'm a lefty who also plays through the mic setting sometimes too, small world.

Prof Eli ASSBLASTER
May 30, 2007

by Fragmaster
welp, I just bought some goofy old japanese guitar:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=130229475725

Adrian Finol
Sep 5, 2004

uk10rguy posted:

The Epiphone Blues Custom is a 15 watt Class A/ 30 watt Class AB amp with independent EQ and a great reverb unit.

I just got one of these yesterday for $300 and so far I'm loving it. Sounds really good and its incredibly loud (had to keep it at around 2 for our band practice).

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

Very strong. Everyone likes me.

Just picked it up for $335 off eBay. Surely will be an upgrade from my Frontman 15G.

One Arm Manny
May 17, 2008

MajorMajor posted:

...and a missing cap on the pickup selector switch...

If you got a new cap you might want to give this a try. I did it on my Tele and it has worked out really well so far.

http://www.tdpri.com/forum/telecaster-discussion-forum/90004-loose-switch-tip-knob-non-glue-fix.html

vac
Jul 10, 2005
:o

My new LEFT-HANDED Ibanez Musician; MC300 model, to be specific! It's sprayed entirely silver and the body has a pink layer over that but from what I've chipped away (yeah yeah) the original natural finish is underneath and in pristine condition. It's sprayed ALL OVER and there's no serial number visible at the moment. Needs to be set-up and re-wired but all in due time.

The Gasmask
Nov 30, 2006

Breaking fingers like fractals

qball posted:

Speaking of Analogman, this came in the mail last week and it's amazing.

It cleans up beautifully when you roll your guitar volume down and the fuzz is really responsive.

Oooh, I've heard really good things about Analogman. I had a friend about eight years ago who was working for them, but I don't know how involved he was with production. I never got to try any out, but I'd see them every once in a while at the music store I work at. Not any more though, I don't think people want to trade them in :(

Here is my most current purchase, the Korg K49. It's a pretty bare bones controller, but I don't need all those fancy touch-sensitive pads and ribbon controllers. But see that little knob-thing at the upper left of the board? It acts as a mouse for my Mac, which is the coolest feature it could have! I can finally have the keyboard away from my computer and not have to find a surface for my wireless mouse to work on.

Los Padre
Mar 26, 2007

Los Padre is an interesting and sensitive fellow.

Thoogsby posted:

Just picked it up for $335 off eBay. Surely will be an upgrade from my Frontman 15G.

You can't go wrong with a junior. I've gone through several amps in six years, mostly because they collect dust in the wake of genuine post overdrive and single twelve.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

So I'm pretty sure I'm gonna grab one of the new Danelectro '63 reissues (in aqua):

Only problem is, I'd really like to try one out before I commit to it - but no place around here that I can find carries it :( I don't just want to buy one off the internet sight unseen. Does anyone know of a good guitar store in the Hudson Valley area (or even Albany) that might carry it?

qball
Aug 1, 2002

You could go and have a bite, and you'd still be hearin' that one.

The Gasmask posted:

Oooh, I've heard really good things about Analogman. I had a friend about eight years ago who was working for them, but I don't know how involved he was with production. I never got to try any out, but I'd see them every once in a while at the music store I work at. Not any more though, I don't think people want to trade them in :(

Yeah, Mike has said he's getting low on the Germanium NKT's and probably won't be doing that option on them for too much longer. I thought I'd better get around to trying one out sooner than later (before TGP guys drive their used prices sky high). I'm glad I did it's a great fuzz.

Livingston
Jun 28, 2007

:zombie:hiiitsss:zombie:

Pablo Gigante posted:

So I'm pretty sure I'm gonna grab one of the new Danelectro '63 reissues (in aqua):

Only problem is, I'd really like to try one out before I commit to it - but no place around here that I can find carries it :( I don't just want to buy one off the internet sight unseen. Does anyone know of a good guitar store in the Hudson Valley area (or even Albany) that might carry it?

There was a cool music store that had a good selection when I lived in Saratoga Springs for two years called Saratoga Guitar - I'd call first though to see if they stock Danelectros.

Definitely do try one before you buy it.

I was in a music store that had these, and I always thought that they looked so great, but it played unbelievably badly. I know they're not exactly made to be top of the line, but it had awkward action, bad tone, buzzing, cheap feeling mechanical parts, just all of the eyebrow raisers I've come to recognize over the years. It felt kind of like a toy. I played two of them, and they both felt bad, but one man's trash is another man's treasure, so I think it's worth a try.

It's a shame. They really are very cool looking.

Adrian Finol
Sep 5, 2004
Hooray! New stuff:

New amp and the OCD overdrive. They sound really good together.

ZombiePeanut
May 11, 2007

by Fistgrrl

Livingston posted:

There was a cool music store that had a good selection when I lived in Saratoga Springs for two years called Saratoga Guitar - I'd call first though to see if they stock Danelectros.

Definitely do try one before you buy it.

I was in a music store that had these, and I always thought that they looked so great, but it played unbelievably badly. I know they're not exactly made to be top of the line, but it had awkward action, bad tone, buzzing, cheap feeling mechanical parts, just all of the eyebrow raisers I've come to recognize over the years. It felt kind of like a toy. I played two of them, and they both felt bad, but one man's trash is another man's treasure, so I think it's worth a try.

It's a shame. They really are very cool looking.

I had the exact same opinion when I tried one. I posted basically the same thing in some other thread here.

an AOL chatroom
Oct 3, 2002

Adrian Finol posted:

Hooray! New stuff:

New amp and the OCD overdrive. They sound really good together.

Our pedalboard is... [breaks out calculator] ... 36% identical. Would be 45, but I just sold my Pulsar.

You're going to love the OCD. It's got such a rich smooth drive to it.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

Three to go. I don't know if I'll get the vibe - I wouldn't use it very often and it's the most expensive one. Definitely will get the other two dirts, and I may have to get the vibe too just for completeness' sake at that point.

This is a really nice chorus, a lot more range on it than the Wasabi Chorus/Trem I had not long ago. I honestly don't know what the hell is going on at Danelectro, they ought to be charging more for these. Is this some kind of a temporary loss leader, or what?

Pastry
Aug 3, 2008

Very soon. An Abell Whistle in D.

and

Chieftain Low D.

I just very recent purchased a Sweet High D Pro:

Zakalwe
May 12, 2002

Wanted For:
  • Terrorism
  • Kidnapping
  • Poor Taste

Ephektz posted:

Very soon. An Abell Whistle in D.

and

Chieftain Low D.

I just very recent purchased a Sweet High D Pro:

When I was a kid my parents sent to a music class to learn the tin whistle. I played for about 5 years and to this day can still remember how to play songs like The Kerry Polka, The Dawning of the Day and The Rattlin' Bog. Every so often when I'm pissed while visiting some part of the country I'll drop into a tourist place and pick up a cheap D whistle to mess around on. I generally lose it that day though. Must pick up a halfway decent one for the house next time I'm buying guitar strings.

oxymoron_lm
Oct 1, 2003

Hamer777 posted:

Well if you ever want to get rid of it let me know! How much did she pay for it?

She actually really likes it and I doubt she'll sell it. It was like $20 or something at a local good will. drat I love thrift stores.

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Got this fucker yesterday!

And I just won these on ebay for $100

Oh I DO LOVE IT when mid-year bonus checks go out!

Krazny_Oktyabr
Nov 12, 2002
Just picked up my second Washburn P2. I found this through Crag's List.

These things are very rare and were only in production for a few years until Washburn modified them slightly into a different model and then ultimately pulled the plug. They are uncommonly good, and sound really great. My latest acquisition (the one on the right) is just so perfectly set up. It plays like a dream.

the wizards beard
Apr 15, 2007
Reppin

4 LIFE 4 REAL
They look they have Washburn pickups, is that right? All the Washburn pickups I've played sound like poo poo.

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

Very strong. Everyone likes me.

Best $10 I've ever spent. Everyone should own one of these.

Costello Jello
Oct 24, 2003

It had to start somewhere

Thoogsby posted:

Best $10 I've ever spent. Everyone should own one of these.

What's so great about it? Or do you just mean everyone should own a string-winder in general? Because I think everyone already does.

the wizards beard
Apr 15, 2007
Reppin

4 LIFE 4 REAL
It's a string winder that also cuts strings, they're really cool.

Krazny_Oktyabr
Nov 12, 2002

the wizards beard posted:

They look they have Washburn pickups, is that right? All the Washburn pickups I've played sound like poo poo.

Yes, they are going to be changed one of these days...

ZombiePeanut
May 11, 2007

by Fistgrrl
I don't own a string winder. Seems unnecessary for my electric. Might be useful for my classical, but I'm not sure you're supposed to use one on those. The tuners seem rather fragile.

Koobze
Nov 4, 2000
Just got a roland TD3KW, man it's awesome.

Nosir
Jun 11, 2006

ZombiePeanut posted:

I don't own a string winder. Seems unnecessary for my electric. Might be useful for my classical, but I'm not sure you're supposed to use one on those. The tuners seem rather fragile.

Why not? They make changing strings literally 10 times faster since you dont have to turn the peg by hand. I always use one when i change strings, cant really imagine doing it otherwise.

Zakalwe
May 12, 2002

Wanted For:
  • Terrorism
  • Kidnapping
  • Poor Taste
Pull string taut. Lock tuner. Snip string. Tune. :colbert:

Raze
Aug 13, 2005

I'M GOING HOME.
Recently bought one of these:

And I have a question for those of you who have one: do you use heavy distortion, and if so, do you put it before or after the distortion? Maybe I'm not familiar with analog delays, but if I put it after distortion the echos are muffled to the point of it sounding like a reverb. Before it works somewhat alright, but of course it's going to be a lot more sensitive on the Mix knob. Is mine defective, or is this just how it works?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Spookmaster
Sep 9, 2002

The Spookmaster posted:

Just picked up a SUNN Concert Bass head but thanks to the storms in Chicago our practice space flooded and my cab got a nice bath in 6 inches of water. Hopefully I can dry everything out without any trouble :(

So I finally got into the city to find the basement had dried yet when I moved the cab a good quart of sludge water poured out the front. I've taken out all the speakers and have treated the outside with a solution of bleach and water since its ratfur. My question is what should I do about the inside? It's lined with what seems to be pink panther insulation. I pulled that out and treated it with the bleach mixture since it was soaked but should I put it back in or replace it with a different type of liner? I've searched around and cant seem to find a good answer.