Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Is it possible I'm really chugging down 4.75 gallons in 20 miles? The engine seems fine.. doesn't feel like it's got a fuel problem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003

ethanol posted:

Is it possible I'm really chugging down 4.75 gallons in 20 miles? The engine seems fine.. doesn't feel like it's got a fuel problem.

Go fill it up again and see.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

sanchez posted:

Go fill it up again and see.

Oh man, way to make me feel stupid... :byodood:

russ6570
Nov 13, 2006

tonedef131 posted:

Nothing was different between the MJ and the 4 door XJ from the cab forward. Behind the cab nothing was the same. Most MJs came with bench seats and a pedal parking brake.

As for swapping the gauge cluster, I have done this and it is the best modification I have ever done in any vehicle I have ever owned. If your truck is a pre '91 you need to get one with a cable speedo, if it is a 91 or 92 you will need an electronic one. The only sensors you need to swap are the oil pressure (they stocked this at my local autozone) and the temp sensor (I had to order this from Napa online). Also take the time to calibrate your odometer, this like will help give you an idea of what the swap involves, it is very easy once you locate all three parts.
http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=921205

How much are you wanting to lift your truck? There is shackles you can get that will put it up an inch or so, but anything beyond that you will have to do spring over axle.

Thanks for the info on the cluster, I was able to find a free one (same year as my truck even- score!) and will hopefully be getting that and doing the swap this weekend.

As for the lift, one or two inches is all I really want, and I definatly wouldn't go above three inches.

Unrelated question- My 87 Comanche (4.0, AX-5 transmission) has a really bad fast idle condition that occurs only at startup. It occurs hot, cold, when its wet outside, when its 90 degrees and sunny, but it doesn't do it every time I start it. I am stumped, any help?

Also, if it makes a difference, I've already cleaned the throttle body and all sensors in it, so that shouldn't be the problem.

russ6570 fucked around with this message at 13:56 on Aug 1, 2008

MrZig
Aug 13, 2005
I exist onl because of Parias'
LEGENDARY GENEROSITY.

russ6570 posted:

Unrelated question- My 87 Comanche (4.0, AX-5 transmission) has a really bad fast idle condition that occurs only at startup. It occurs hot, cold, when its wet outside, when its 90 degrees and sunny, but it doesn't do it every time I start it. I am stumped, any help?

Also, if it makes a difference, I've already cleaned the throttle body and all sensors in it, so that shouldn't be the problem.

Welcome to the world of RENIX (87-90) ECU's.. Almost every post I see about an idle problem has the RENIX era XJ/MJ.

I'm not sure what causes it, but I get the same problem randomly. It's very embarrasing to start your engine up and have it rev to 3000 RPM's and have to restart it about 3 times before it comes down. I believe it could be the relay that keeps power to the Jeep after it gets shut off, or it could be the IAC or wiring to the IAC. It can also be a TPS..

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

Just a reminder for all the new Wrangler owners out there. Last night I had the spare stolen off the back :( I feel like such a jackass for not getting a wheel lock sooner. Learn from my mistake, if you havent gotten one get one!!

Braincloud
Sep 28, 2004

I forgot...how BIG...
Finally got to the top of my mine trail to retake this pic with the Ruby

Show us your Roobies!

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

I don't have a ruby but I'll take yours.

Some guy at the gas station told me my sport was a "nice rubicon" though on my trail ride yesterday.

Trail pic before hardtop from last weekend:

ethanol fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Aug 5, 2008

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

If anyone is in the market for a ZJ, my '97 Laredo will be going up for sale around Cape Girardeau, MO within the next couple of weeks. I'm having my parents sell it for me while I'm overseas.

2" BB, homemade intake, magnaflow exhaust with no cat, aftermarket speakers, leather, etc.. It's been babied and has just over 100k miles. Hoping to get $4k from it. :) I'll post it in the marketplace thread as soon as my step-dad puts new front shocks on it.

tonedef131
Sep 3, 2003

russ6570 posted:

Thanks for the info on the cluster, I was able to find a free one (same year as my truck even- score!) and will hopefully be getting that and doing the swap this weekend.

As for the lift, one or two inches is all I really want, and I definatly wouldn't go above three inches.

A 1-2 inch lift works really well on comanches. If you go above that it starts getting expensive because you have to start replacing a lot of things. You can put ZJ springs and new shackles on and that will put you up about an inch and you can still use your stock brakes lines and struts and everything. My rear end is a factory freak and I have like 2.5" of forward rake, so I bought some ZJ springs for up front that I plan to put on in the next couple of weeks, that will leave me about an inch over stock. I will try to post some pics after that so you can have an idea of what it will look like.

BTW, if you have a 4.0 you don't have the AX5, that was only used in the 2.8 and 2.5. Since yours is an 87 you most likely have the Peugeot BA10, the only way you would have the AX15 is if someone swapped it out of an 89 or later. A lot of people talk trash about the BA10/5, but mine has been good to me for many years. I sort of look at it like the Dana 30, if it goes out I will replace it with the AX15/D44, but it has taken quite a bit of abuse so far and still works great for me.

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

MrZig posted:

Welcome to the world of RENIX (87-90) ECU's.. Almost every post I see about an idle problem has the RENIX era XJ/MJ.

I'm not sure what causes it, but I get the same problem randomly. It's very embarrasing to start your engine up and have it rev to 3000 RPM's and have to restart it about 3 times before it comes down. I believe it could be the relay that keeps power to the Jeep after it gets shut off, or it could be the IAC or wiring to the IAC. It can also be a TPS..

Mine just started doing this after I took it offroading and camping. I went through a lot of very large puddles to get to my camp site, so I was thinking I may have fried the TPS. What does everyone think? How hard is it to swap a TPS?

MrZig
Aug 13, 2005
LEGENDARY GENEROSITY.

Atticus_1354 posted:

Mine just started doing this after I took it offroading and camping. I went through a lot of very large puddles to get to my camp site, so I was thinking I may have fried the TPS. What does everyone think? How hard is it to swap a TPS?

You have a pre 1991 Jeep? It's not too difficult. I've done it. All you need is a voltmeter and the required torx tools to set it up right.

I think it might have to do with a weird ground. If I check the voltage with the TPS ground, it's something like 8.12 volts, yet if I use the battery ground with the voltmeter it's 8.7 volts or something similiar. Yet using the ohmmeter, the resistance is perfectly fine. Also, resetting the computer seems to put it off for awhile. The RENIX system is very strange.

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

MrZig posted:

You have a pre 1991 Jeep? It's not too difficult. I've done it. All you need is a voltmeter and the required torx tools to set it up right.

I think it might have to do with a weird ground. If I check the voltage with the TPS ground, it's something like 8.12 volts, yet if I use the battery ground with the voltmeter it's 8.7 volts or something similiar. Yet using the ohmmeter, the resistance is perfectly fine. Also, resetting the computer seems to put it off for awhile. The RENIX system is very strange.

It is a 1990 cherokee and I haven't had a chance to buy the guide yet as this is the first major problem. Should I get Chilton or Haynes for the cherokee?

MrZig
Aug 13, 2005
LEGENDARY GENEROSITY.

Atticus_1354 posted:

It is a 1990 cherokee and I haven't had a chance to buy the guide yet as this is the first major problem. Should I get Chilton or Haynes for the cherokee?

A Chilton/Haynes is always good to have but I'm not sure that they talk about adjusting the TPS.

You might want to do a search at NAXJA (http://www.naxja.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=44) and search for "Throttle Position Sensor adjust*" or something along those lines. It's been brought up many times before.

Basically at idle position, you want the A & B terminals (I think it's A & B) to read 0.8 volts.

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

Anyone seen my ball joints?
Anyone here deal in jeep parts?

I wouldn't mind tracking down a OEM source for:

P/N 5AE50KY6

aka. Pull handle for a Jeep XJ.

Tan or Grey, it's probably long out of production.

/edit found one source that has them for $11, now to check to see if they stock it.

FEAR THE NUG
Jul 2, 2008
All the Jeep fans probably hate me for this reason but I'm not a big fan of the old jeeps. The modern ones though, will have me on my knees. My uncle owns a new SRT-8 Cherokee. I've never driven something quite as fun as it, but then again I haven't driven much in my life time. I do know for a fact though it can get up and go.

CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world

grzydj posted:

Bonus picture of my clutch pedal, which is really a bicycle pedal. For a total ghetto fix, it works quite well and feels good under boots, even in the winter.

EDIT: with a bonus mystery wire. Where does it go? :iiam:

To be honest, I was laughing at the haphazardly discarded fuses on the floor before I noticed the wire. "Uh, I pulled these out and it started again. I dunno.." But the pedal is hella sweet.

Tossed_Salad_Man
Feb 19, 2002

You Gon' Get Raped.
Can you guys list some good jeep forums. I love pirate but I'm not about to boatside my yj and dovetail the rear end end while doing a 3/4 elliptical suspension in the rear.

I'm looking for a nice mid level base of posters, above YO DESE FLATPANELS IN MY DASH ARE TYTE BRAH but below I BUILT THIS JEEP FROM SCRATCH.

Jack_Handey
Jun 3, 2003

My goodness what am I doing here?

Tossed_Salad_Man posted:

Can you guys list some good jeep forums. I love pirate but I'm not about to boatside my yj and dovetail the rear end end while doing a 3/4 elliptical suspension in the rear.

I'm looking for a nice mid level base of posters, above YO DESE FLATPANELS IN MY DASH ARE TYTE BRAH but below I BUILT THIS JEEP FROM SCRATCH.

I used to frequent jeepforum and still look at NAXJA from time to time, but in all honesty, everyone who starts off on places like Jeepsunlimited or JF ends up at Pirate anyway. Look for local jeep club sites like nc4x4.com, usually they have good message boards with a lot of diverse stuff, not to mention people who are local to you that can actually help you.

markdown
Jan 14, 2008
2 baristas, one drink.
my Jeep threw a check engine light. 263662 on the clock, and its a 96 Cherokee with the 4.0 H.O. I checked the trouble codes with my Auto Xray, none were found which seems odd. But timing was alternating from advancing from a range of 12 degrees to 23 degrees. No coolant or fluids are leaking to my knowledge, oil is the right colour, and the coolant temperature is/was 200 degrees Fahrenheit. Both oxygen sensors appeared to be working, the clutch isn't falling out of the transmission. And well, I can't quite tell anything is wrong with it other than reduced gas millage and the engine seems to be running poorer.

Veeb0rg
Jul 24, 2001

THIS CONVERSATION IS NONPRODUCTIVE!

Jack_Handey posted:

I used to frequent jeepforum and still look at NAXJA from time to time, but in all honesty, everyone who starts off on places like Jeepsunlimited or JF ends up at Pirate anyway. Look for local jeep club sites like nc4x4.com, usually they have good message boards with a lot of diverse stuff, not to mention people who are local to you that can actually help you.

I use to frequent the local jeep boards till I was askin about the drivers door on my cherokee, if anyone had experience fixin em, possibly willin to help etc. I was curious as its starting to have the typical cherokee door hinge issue and water was starting to leak in due to the doors misalignment. I was flat out told by a member that if I didn't want to get wet, then I shouldn't have bought a jeep, and that I wasn't "jeep" ownership material.

I've not gone back to either local boards since, it kinda knocked the wind out of my sails. I've since decided that the jeep will stay stock..

ZippySLC
Jun 3, 2002

~what is art, baby dont post, dont post, no more~

no seriously don't post
Most Jeep forums are terrible. I don't even go to any of them anymore. I used to be a somewhat prolific poster on JU a few years ago, before it got really bad.

AI does spoil us.

tonedef131
Sep 3, 2003

It doesn't help you Wrangler guys but Comancheclub.com is a pretty great forum. I hate Jeep forums, but the people on Comanche Club are just a bunch of good 'ol boys who love their old trucks and know their poo poo. Most of what is said over there applies to Cherokees too and a lot of the posters either do now or have at one time owned Cherokees also. There is some DIY and Project sections that are fun to look through even if you don't own one, some pretty creative stuff going on.

I think Wranglers are cool, but it seems that their owners are always the ones to bring snobbery to Jeep culture. It's nice to not always have people telling you that your truck NEEDS to be lifted and that H1s and Unimogs got nothin' on a Jeep.

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

Anyone seen my ball joints?

Veeb0rg posted:

I use to frequent the local jeep boards till I was askin about the drivers door on my cherokee, if anyone had experience fixin em, possibly willin to help etc. I was curious as its starting to have the typical cherokee door hinge issue and water was starting to leak in due to the doors misalignment. I was flat out told by a member that if I didn't want to get wet, then I shouldn't have bought a jeep, and that I wasn't "jeep" ownership material.

I've not gone back to either local boards since, it kinda knocked the wind out of my sails. I've since decided that the jeep will stay stock..

It's hard to find a good forum. Armchair wheelers make things worse, and I never understood the X vs Y mentality.

Especially the guys who believe you got to bob your jeep, lift it and remove most of the body panels. I mean it's one thing to have a dedicated trail truck that gets beat up, but if your jeep doubles as a daily driver, you don't want it beat to poo poo, and theres nothing wrong getting body damage repaired. Besides I'd like my trail rig to be street legal as well :).

I think thats the problem with off roading in general, some guys just slam the door shut on new people. You get someone who takes their brand new FJ, H3, or JK off road , and it's not likely that person is going to want to do the 100% damage hard core trails. If I was driving a brand new rig I'd be a bit cautious as well.

Good luck trying to explain that on some of the forums, theres a real alpha dog / pack mentality that goes on.

The best bet is to find a good local group, I find the smaller forums more interesting, especially if they're more responsible and take part in local trail cleanups. I find the clubs that just want to tear poo poo up automatically become rear end in a top hat magnets and their forums reflect that.

Tossed_Salad_Man
Feb 19, 2002

You Gon' Get Raped.
I think AI does spoil us. Maybe that's it.

SAN DIMAS HIGH FOOTBALL RULES!

markdown
Jan 14, 2008
2 baristas, one drink.
My power steering system poo poo itself all over my engine bay today.

I'm having great luck with cars right now.

Veeb0rg
Jul 24, 2001

THIS CONVERSATION IS NONPRODUCTIVE!
I managed to finally have time to get my APN header installed. Its odd, it doesn't seem like a jeep with out an exhaust leak.

Frag Viper
May 20, 2001

Fuck that shit

Sindow posted:

This is the main reason I want to get a Jeep. I don't want to go to courses everyone goes to and try to skillfully go over a mile of terrain with a bunch of other people. That sounds fun, but what I really want to do is just go wherever the hell I want and camp out in the middle of nowhere. Planning out a trip, rationing out supplies, learning survival aid and all of those things combined with driving out in the middle of nowhere sounds like the best thing ever to me. It's like "oh, here is someplace that even in this day and age nobody ever goes to. there is nobody for miles. this rocks, time to bust out a guitar and a campfire."

This is what I want to do.
http://expeditionportal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8647

Im going to say Guller Gulch near Garlock.

N/m similar places in different areas. I've been to those spots before though. Pretty cool.

Frag Viper fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Aug 14, 2008

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Don't close. Don't close.

Nap Ghost
I'm having some electrical gremlins. Every time I turn the lights on, the gas and temp gauges peg. I had replaced the cluster when the old gauges weren't working, but it looks like they burned out from the same issue. God drat it. At least the new gauge cluster has cooler lettering.

Polish
Jul 5, 2007

I touch myself at night
I have a 2000 Jeep Cherokee 4.0L. Last Friday I was changing my oil and poking around under the car.. I noticed some red filmy liquid up underneath the radiator, and along the frame area of the front drivers side of the car. The liquid is reddish/pink in color (I think it is only pinkish due to there not being much), and is about as viscus as a 10W-30 oil.

The only things I could think of it being are A) Brake fluid, but brakes are fine. Or B) Tranny fluid, which I dunno how I would tell on that.. If I am not mistaken the transmission fluid runs up to the radiator for cooling, correct? I just got the radiator replaced about a month ago, so its possible my mechanic did't seal, hook-up, do something properly?

..might turn this Jeep into a project car and get something newer soon.. this fucker is costing me a lot.

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Don't close. Don't close.

Nap Ghost
Do you have a tranny cooler? On my Wagoneer, the cooler lines go from the tranny to the radiator then to the cooler. You can see the lines at the bottom of the radiator plain as day. I had a leak once that was really easy to spot. Just crank it up and see where the fluid drips from.

Red liquid could also come from your power steering.

Tossed_Salad_Man
Feb 19, 2002

You Gon' Get Raped.

One down, one to go. These are some fenders I bought for 30 dollars and worked up a little bit. These are not true tube fenders, these are regular fenders cut up with some tube added and some diamond plate. For 30 bucks I figured what the hell.

30 bucks for both fenders.
35 bucks for diamond plate.
40 bucks misc paint and supplies.

I am loving too tired to finish so I'm driving around with 1 regular fender and 1 sexy fender.

sw0cb
Feb 18, 2007
Herro!

Thats my 08 Rubicon, 2.5 inch lift with 35 inch Baja Claws and lots and lots of mud.

NeerWas
Dec 13, 2004

Everyday I'm shufflin'.

NeerWas fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Aug 9, 2023

ZippySLC
Jun 3, 2002

no seriously don't post
I'm torn about my '08 Rubicon. On one hand, it's a really, really nice Jeep. On the other hand, it just doesn't seem to be as good off-road as my old TJ Rubicon, and I just don't have that personal *click* with it that I did with my TJ.

Part of me is somewhat glad that I've leased it, since I may just hand the keys back at the end of the lease and walk away.

It's really the most underwhelming Jeep I've owned, which is a shame since it's (on paper, at least) an excellent vehicle.

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

ZippySLC posted:

It's really the most underwhelming Jeep I've owned, which is a shame since it's (on paper, at least) an excellent vehicle.

Ive heard people split on this. Some have said what you have and others who've said its even more capable than the TJ Rubi...

Agrocrag
Oct 22, 2004

True love at last
So I had my first off-roading experience in my friends 4runner and it was fun as poo poo; he has me convinced that I should sell my 2003 Nissan maxima and buy a jeep wrangler.

What year/model should I look for with the best off-road capability, priced around $9k?

Braincloud
Sep 28, 2004

I forgot...how BIG...

sw0cb posted:

Herro!

Thats my 08 Rubicon, 2.5 inch lift with 35 inch Baja Claws and lots and lots of mud.

What kind of lift do you have on there? How's the ride? Is it still as cushy as the stock ride. I've been thinking of lifting my JK Rubi but really love how cushy it is on the road and don't want to put on a stiffer suspension.

ZippySLC
Jun 3, 2002

no seriously don't post

spiralbrain posted:

Ive heard people split on this. Some have said what you have and others who've said its even more capable than the TJ Rubi...

I think part of it is that it's so computer controlled, I feel so disconnected from everything with it. To me it doesn't feel like a real Jeep. *shrug*

It may be better on rocks than the TJ Rubi, but in loose sand and tight trails, my TJ seemed to do better. At least that's how I feel about it anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grzydj
Oct 4, 2000

You say agricultural or thrummy, I say totally yummy.

Agrocrag posted:

So I had my first off-roading experience in my friends 4runner and it was fun as poo poo; he has me convinced that I should sell my 2003 Nissan maxima and buy a jeep wrangler.

What year/model should I look for with the best off-road capability, priced around $9k?

If you can, keep your Maxima and buy a Wrangler as a fun/weekend/wheeling vehicle. They're not the greatest daily drivers, especially when you're only getting 15 mpg tops. I get about 11 tops with mine.

9k should get you into a nice used TJ with a 4.0 inline 6, but the thing is, you won't keep it stock for long, and the mods never end.