Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Houston Rockets
Apr 15, 2006

Raze posted:

Recently bought one of these:

And I have a question for those of you who have one: do you use heavy distortion, and if so, do you put it before or after the distortion? Maybe I'm not familiar with analog delays, but if I put it after distortion the echos are muffled to the point of it sounding like a reverb. Before it works somewhat alright, but of course it's going to be a lot more sensitive on the Mix knob. Is mine defective, or is this just how it works?

Do you have an effects loop on your amp?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZombiePeanut
May 11, 2007

by Fistgrrl

Nosir posted:

Why not? They make changing strings literally 10 times faster since you dont have to turn the peg by hand. I always use one when i change strings, cant really imagine doing it otherwise.

I doubt it would even make it faster at all considering how I tend to do my strings. I just pull it taut through, wrap around and crimp it over with pliers. The only string that ends up going around the peghead more than once is usually the high e.

Raze
Aug 13, 2005

I'M GOING HOME.

Houston Rockets posted:

Do you have an effects loop on your amp?
Yes, but my distortion comes from a preamp that I have running through a Big Shot EFX. The effects loop on my amp is weird anyways because it has mono send and stereo return. >:/

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 10 days!

Raze posted:

Yes, but my distortion comes from a preamp that I have running through a Big Shot EFX. The effects loop on my amp is weird anyways because it has mono send and stereo return. >:/

Mono send and stereo return isnt weird.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Listen, Mr. Kansas Law Dog.
Law don't go around here.
Savvy?

Raze posted:

Recently bought one of these:

And I have a question for those of you who have one: do you use heavy distortion, and if so, do you put it before or after the distortion? Maybe I'm not familiar with analog delays, but if I put it after distortion the echos are muffled to the point of it sounding like a reverb. Before it works somewhat alright, but of course it's going to be a lot more sensitive on the Mix knob. Is mine defective, or is this just how it works?
It's the very last item in my effects loop. Works fine with distortion, but my distortion is placed in front of the amp.

Drazzy
Oct 5, 2003

If I had $20 right now, I'd probably put it towards one of my many bills that I have yet to pay.
Got a few more effects pedals for dirt cheap today. Now I can finally build my pedal board. I don't think this is the order they are going to be in, just a mock-up to show the size of the board.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

The Book I Read
Jan 15, 2008
Have to sing about it.

Prof Eli ASSBLASTER posted:

welp, I just bought some goofy old japanese guitar:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=130229475725

loving hell, you lucky rear end in a top hat! That thing is gorgeous, how does it play/sound?

Guzwar
Feb 21, 2006
Everything's coming up Milhouse!

vac posted:

My new LEFT-HANDED Ibanez Musician; MC300 model, to be specific! It's sprayed entirely silver and the body has a pink layer over that but from what I've chipped away (yeah yeah) the original natural finish is underneath and in pristine condition. It's sprayed ALL OVER and there's no serial number visible at the moment. Needs to be set-up and re-wired but all in due time.

The upside-down "Musician" really bugs me. But the colour on it is so bizarre and unique that I can't help but stare.

CanuckBassist
Mar 20, 2007

welp, I just bought some goofy old japanese guitar:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=130229475725

Can't believe I missed this on the last page. I love matching headstocks!

Prof Eli ASSBLASTER
May 30, 2007

by Fragmaster

The Book I Read posted:

loving hell, you lucky rear end in a top hat! That thing is gorgeous, how does it play/sound?

I haven't had internet for the past few days, just got around to sending the payment today. Can't wait to try this weird little fucker out!

Uncle Caveman
Jun 16, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

ZombiePeanut posted:

I doubt it would even make it faster at all considering how I tend to do my strings. I just pull it taut through, wrap around and crimp it over with pliers. The only string that ends up going around the peghead more than once is usually the high e.
Ever wonder why your guitar always goes out of tune and you break a lot of strings?

HampHamp
Oct 30, 2006
Just bought myself one of these, very pleased with it. Now to learn some scales other than the minor pentatonics!

juicy_J
Jun 25, 2004
I.O.U. one gmail invite

ZombiePeanut posted:

Unless you're using staggered locking tuners this is not the correct way to string a guitar.

ZombiePeanut
May 11, 2007

by Fistgrrl

Uncle Caveman posted:

Ever wonder why your guitar always goes out of tune and you break a lot of strings?

I never break strings and my guitar stays in perfect tune even though my playing style involves a lot of large bends.

quote:

Unless you're using staggered locking tuners this is not the correct way to string a guitar.

There is far more than one "correct" way to string a guitar. It's been working fine for me for years.

Uncle Caveman
Jun 16, 2006

Sure, if it works for you. But by "correct," we're talking "efficient."

Ben and Stew
Mar 31, 2006

Woah!
http://knoxville.craigslist.org/msg/790204805.html

I'm not getting this, but i didn't think it deserved it's own thread. But just look at this piece of work.

Jimix
Jun 20, 2001

Ben and Stew posted:

I'm not getting this, but i didn't think it deserved it's own thread. But just look at this piece of work.
haha dimebag darrell needed a functional one of those

Prof Eli ASSBLASTER
May 30, 2007

by Fragmaster

Ben and Stew posted:

that thing looks very uncomfortable to play.

the trigger being a pickup switch is pretty clever, though.

ZombiePeanut
May 11, 2007

by Fistgrrl

Uncle Caveman posted:

Sure, if it works for you. But by "correct," we're talking "efficient."

Efficient how so? The technique I use has none of the problems you claimed it does and it's most certainly faster than any technique that requires a string winder. Unless you don't know how to use needle nose pliers or something.

ForbiddenWonder
Feb 15, 2003

I didn't really know where to post this, but I was thinking about getting back into the trumpet before I totally forget everything i've learned. What could I expect to pay for a decent cheap beater horn? It's been about three years since i've picked one up. For reference I was used to a King Silver Flare.

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

Very strong. Everyone likes me.

ZombiePeanut posted:

I never break strings and my guitar stays in perfect tune even though my playing style involves a lot of large bends.

I'm not saying you're incorrect but how often do you actually plug into a tuner and see how in-tune you are. It's possible to think you're in tune when you're not. I've just never ever heard of someone not having problems when they don't change strings in the way that's considered "correct".

Uncle Caveman
Jun 16, 2006

ZombiePeanut posted:

Efficient how so? The technique I use has none of the problems you claimed it does and it's most certainly faster than any technique that requires a string winder. Unless you don't know how to use needle nose pliers or something.
Your method is certainly faster - but by drastically shortening the length of string wrapped around the tuner post, you are drastically increasing the tension on the string, reducing the ability to fine-tune the pitch, and decreasing the string's ability to stay in tune.

Take a rope and wrap it around a pole - if you wrap it one time, it'll slip if tension is applied. Now, wrap it several times - the more wraps, the more the rope will withstand tension and stay in place (picture how Indiana Jones manages to swing across the chasm with his whip).

pennywisdom
Mar 21, 2004

Zakalwe posted:

Pull string taut. Lock tuner. Snip string. Tune. :colbert:

This is my favorite thing about my PRS. I can restring in literally 2 minutes, woo hoo!

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Savvy?

that thing looks very uncomfortable to play.

the trigger being a pickup switch is pretty clever, though.
It is clever, but why's the trigger on the wrong side of the grip?

sithael
Nov 11, 2004
I'm a Sad Panda too!
I like keys, i guess. I don't even like playing guitar or bass after 12 or so years.

X-Station 25. More spendy than the alternatives of the microkorg/micron and a weaker filter section, but it's a much better midi controller than either of them (3 knobs is a joke) and usb input. Seems like a decent all in one type of thing. And if i need more keys i can just plug it into another keyboard.

Hopefully it's easier to play than the clarinet, which sounds like an elephant when you don't play the right note. Which is a lot.

Shartjorts
Mar 17, 2007

by Fistgrrl

sithael posted:

I like keys, i guess. I don't even like playing guitar or bass after 12 or so years.

X-Station 25. More spendy than the alternatives of the microkorg/micron and a weaker filter section, but it's a much better midi controller than either of them (3 knobs is a joke) and usb input. Seems like a decent all in one type of thing. And if i need more keys i can just plug it into another keyboard.

I had a Mircokorg and I now own an X-Station. The Mircokorg is all marketing, if you ask me. This is a real virtual analog synth. It has a learning curve but at least half the presets aren't generic German techno stuff.

ZombiePeanut
May 11, 2007

by Fistgrrl

Thoogsby posted:

I'm not saying you're incorrect but how often do you actually plug into a tuner and see how in-tune you are. It's possible to think you're in tune when you're not. I've just never ever heard of someone not having problems when they don't change strings in the way that's considered "correct".

Like I said, look it up and you'll find there's far more than one "correct" way to change strings. And I have a tuner sitting right next to where I play.

quote:

Your method is certainly faster - but by drastically shortening the length of string wrapped around the tuner post, you are drastically increasing the tension on the string, reducing the ability to fine-tune the pitch, and decreasing the string's ability to stay in tune.

Now you're just demonstrating that you don't know what you're talking about. The number of times the string wraps around the post has no effect on string tension. If the tension was higher for the same gauge string, the notes would all be sharp. It's also a nonsensical claim since the point at which stress is applied on the tuning peg comes wherever the string makes a break against the peg, regardless of how many times it's wrapped around the peg head.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Savvy?

ZombiePeanut posted:

Now you're just demonstrating that you don't know what you're talking about. The number of times the string wraps around the post has no effect on string tension. If the tension was higher for the same gauge string, the notes would all be sharp. It's also a nonsensical claim since the point at which stress is applied on the tuning peg comes wherever the string makes a break against the peg, regardless of how many times it's wrapped around the peg head.
Yeah, this was a bit misguided, but read the Indiana Jones analogy guy's post. It's not about where the stress point is, that would only matter if the string were a solid, non-flexible object. It's more about the string slipping on the post.

THAT SAID, it's probably not a big deal if you have quality tuners that won't budge anyway, as long as the string doesn't come loose, obviously. I don't see why this is a big deal.

Prof Eli ASSBLASTER
May 30, 2007

by Fragmaster

Carbohydrates posted:

It is clever, but why's the trigger on the wrong side of the grip?

maybe it's meant for suicide?

ZombiePeanut
May 11, 2007

by Fistgrrl

Carbohydrates posted:

Yeah, this was a bit misguided, but read the Indiana Jones analogy guy's post. It's not about where the stress point is, that would only matter if the string were a solid, non-flexible object. It's more about the string slipping on the post.

Well, yeah, but that's the point of the crimp. It stops the initial slip so the string can wind itself around the peg. The correct analogy with a rope would be wrapping it around the pole once and making a slipknot, which is a pretty common and effective way to secure a rope to a pole.

quote:

A telecaster was really the only choice for that guitar.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

Well, I got the Fuzz today.

I like it. A lot :q:

Also got the Pedalboard:

So now there are Vibe, Trem, and Metal-II between me and completion of the Cool Cat collection. I'm going to start recording reviews now, though, because I've got the ones I think I'll be using most.

ampleforth
Dec 23, 2004

So it goes.
I just picked up this old hunk of crap that a guy had lying around.

Schatten
Jul 7, 2002

Das ist nicht meine
schnellen Rennwagen

ampleforth posted:

That's a good looking hunk of crap you got there!

Dragon Eye Morrison
May 6, 2007

Boston's "More Than A Feeling" is the world's greatest song

Agreed posted:

Also got the Pedalboard:

That is the raddest-looking loving pedalboard of all time. The build quality looks a bit like poo poo from the pictures online. How is the quality?

Shartjorts
Mar 17, 2007

by Fistgrrl

ampleforth posted:

What is that? An Austin?

Livingston
Jun 28, 2007

:zombie:hiiitsss:zombie:
I got sick of how my strat was looking - just plain and uninteresting. So, I got a new pickguard. Now I love how it looks, and I'm picking it up a lot more.

Old :what:

New! :holy:

Engine Fortegue
Feb 1, 2004

strap me down they must sedate me

poke me prod me irritate me

Livingston posted:

I got sick of how my strat was looking - just plain and uninteresting. So, I got a new pickguard. Now I love how it looks, and I'm picking it up a lot more.

Old :what:

New! :holy:

black on silver is sexy as hell, you made the right choice

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Engine Fortegue posted:

black on silver is sexy as hell, you made the right choice

Tort, the answer is always tort.

But yeah, looks great.

ampleforth
Dec 23, 2004

So it goes.

Obamagician!!!!! posted:

What is that? An Austin?

I don't know what an Austin is. It's a custom shop les paul from Nashville.

Livingston posted:

Looks sweet, and I usually dislike black pickguards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

Dragon Eye Morrison posted:

That is the raddest-looking loving pedalboard of all time. The build quality looks a bit like poo poo from the pictures online. How is the quality?

The bottom half (that holds the pedals, holds the handle, and which gets stepped on) is sturdy and sound. The top half is basically just to keep poo poo off the pedals, you wouldn't want to step on it. When assembled, it's quite sturdy - simplistically designed but well designed. When disassembled, put the top half somewhere out of the way.

It's pretty much awesome, though, and at any local shop they ought to cut you a deal on it (I got mine for $65 out the door). Easy transport, all pedals powered, all cables and power supply comes with it, no need to mod the pedals to fit because it has shaped and fitted retainers that keep them locked in (but easy to remove).