Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

H.R. Paperstacks
May 1, 2006

This is America
My president is black
and my Lambo is blue

Pussy Noise posted:

Is there a way to debug UDP packets so that I can see which VLAN/subinterface they are received on? The router is a 2611XM, IOS 12.3(9a).

Build an ACL on the interfaces if you are looking for specific traffic. A bit more info on what you are looking for and I can be of more assistance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nex
Jul 23, 2001

øæå¨æøåø
Grimey Drawer
Why would a 3550 suddenly lose all config after a power failure? Bad flash?
Anyone experienced something similar, and got any pointers on where to look for the culprit?

ionn
Jan 23, 2004

Din morsa.
Grimey Drawer
Bad flash, or forgetting to save running-config after changing it. :downs:

nex
Jul 23, 2001

øæå¨æøåø
Grimey Drawer
Hehe, that would be typical.. But this was a old node that has been running for about a year without trouble, and I know for a fact that there have been done several writes of the running-config(because I have done it personally).

Any tips on ways to test the flash? I guess I would have to prove bad flash somehow to do a RMA easily..

Kreg
Sep 2, 2006

nex posted:

Hehe, that would be typical.. But this was a old node that has been running for about a year without trouble, and I know for a fact that there have been done several writes of the running-config(because I have done it personally).
Possibly a long shot, but what is the config register? Anyone have to perform a password recovery in the last year? What does "show startup-config" show?

ragzilla
Sep 9, 2005
don't ask me, i only work here

nex posted:

Why would a 3550 suddenly lose all config after a power failure? Bad flash?
Anyone experienced something similar, and got any pointers on where to look for the culprit?

Funny you should mention this- the exact same thing happened to a customer 3550 with us recently (they took power down for maint, the 3550 never came back). After getting it back in the office it appeared the flash was corrupted (IOS image was truncated to 0 bytes). Formatted, loaded a new image over xmodem (oh the humanity) and it started working again.

Pussy Noise
Aug 1, 2003

routenull0 posted:

Build an ACL on the interfaces if you are looking for specific traffic. A bit more info on what you are looking for and I can be of more assistance.

The router is a CE with several VRF-lites on separate vlans towards the customer LAN. One LAN segment needs a DHCP pool, so I have it on the router associated with the appropriate VRF. However, the customer's DHCP requests time out, and I don't know why, so I want to blame their LAN Procurve by showing that I'm not seeing any UDP broadcasts on that specific vlan.

H.R. Paperstacks
May 1, 2006

This is America
My president is black
and my Lambo is blue

Pussy Noise posted:

The router is a CE with several VRF-lites on separate vlans towards the customer LAN. One LAN segment needs a DHCP pool, so I have it on the router associated with the appropriate VRF. However, the customer's DHCP requests time out, and I don't know why, so I want to blame their LAN Procurve by showing that I'm not seeing any UDP broadcasts on that specific vlan.

Yeah build a generic log all ACL on the VLAN. There might be another way, but that is the quick and dirty way.

Saliva
Jun 3, 2006
Its whats in your mouth
Does anyone know where I could get a replacement fan for a cisco 3500 switch? Two of the fans are good but the third just sounds awful.

ozmunkeh
Feb 28, 2008

hey guys what is happening in this thread
We have a /27 from AT&T and currently use a C1841 as CSU/DSU & edge router. We then do the NAT (ip nat inside source static tcp x.x.x.x 80 x.x.x.x 80 extendable) on an old C1760. It's high time we had a proper firewall so I purchased an ASA 5505 with the security license. I understand I'll be able to use the ASA to configure a DMZ and add some much needed VLANs to the internal network but I'm now unsure whether I can do the same kind of NAT on the external interface. Is this possible or do I need another router between the ASA and edge?

M@
Jul 10, 2004

Girdle Wax posted:

Funny you should mention this- the exact same thing happened to a customer 3550 with us recently (they took power down for maint, the 3550 never came back). After getting it back in the office it appeared the flash was corrupted (IOS image was truncated to 0 bytes). Formatted, loaded a new image over xmodem (oh the humanity) and it started working again.

Yep, we have to do the same thing for customers several times a year :rolleyes:

jwh
Jun 12, 2002

ozmunkeh posted:

Is this possible or do I need another router between the ASA and edge?
ASA5505 can NAT. You'll be ok.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

CrazyLittle posted:

And what's the handoff for the 2811? Routed IP space or more NAT?

Routed IP space.

Looking through the documents, it appears the 1812 only supports an asynchronous interface for the backup line.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/routers/access/1800/1801/software/configuration/guide/dialbkup.html

Did our consultant lie to use about the capabilities when we bought this over a year ago?

I guess my option now would be to create an interface (eth1) on the 1812, connect the T1 to that (using one of the 5 ip addresses that we have), and then manually toggle them using the SDM interface when our cable connection goes out. Or is there a way to automate this?

ozmunkeh
Feb 28, 2008

hey guys what is happening in this thread

jwh posted:

ASA5505 can NAT. You'll be ok.

Thanks for the confirmation. I just about managed to get my head around the basics of IOS recently. I got into the console of the ASA and it's all greek to me. I just ordered the Cisco Press Cisco ASA and PIX Firewall Handbook so I've got some reading to do.
Thanks again.

Paul Boz_
Dec 21, 2003

Sin City
I wrapped up the CCDA last week and I'm getting into the CCDP ARCH material now. I'm finding that design is really fun and I have a knack for it. Has anyone else taken the ARCH that has some tips? The info out there on the exam is scarce at best.

para
Nov 30, 2006
I'm setting up a small frame relay lab to get some experience while studying for the BSCI exam. I'm using a 2521 as the frame relay switch, and I have 3 routers connected to it, each with a 1T NIC.

A 2621 is connected to serial 0, a 2620 to serial 1, and a 2611 to serial 2. The connections to serial 0 and 1 work fine, but the connection to serial 2 is always in a down/down state. I suspect this is because serial 2 and serial 3 on the 2521 are async ports, so I've tried setting it to sync but it's still down/down.

Am I missing something or am I going to need a different router to act as the frame switch?

code:
2611#show run interface serial 0/0
Building configuration...

Current configuration : 152 bytes
!
interface Serial0/0
 ip address 192.168.10.3 255.255.255.0
 encapsulation frame-relay
 fair-queue
 frame-relay map ip 192.168.10.1 301 broadcast
end
code:
FRAME_RELAY#show run

Current configuration:
!
version 11.3
service timestamps debug uptime
service timestamps log uptime
no service password-encryption
!
hostname FRAME_RELAY
!
!
no ip domain-lookup
frame-relay switching
!
!
!
interface Serial0
 no ip address
 clockrate 64000
 frame-relay lmi-type cisco
 frame-relay intf-type dce
 frame-relay route 102 interface Serial1 201
 frame-relay route 103 interface Serial2 301
!
interface Serial1
 no ip address
 clockrate 64000
 frame-relay route 201 interface Serial0 102
!
interface Serial2
 no ip address
 clockrate 64000
 frame-relay route 301 interface Serial0 103
!
interface Serial3
 no ip address
 shutdown
!
interface TokenRing0
 no ip address
 shutdown
!
interface BRI0
 no ip address
 shutdown
!
ip classless
!
line con 0
 exec-timeout 0 0
 logging synchronous
line aux 0
line vty 0 4
 login
!
end
code:
FRAME_RELAY#show ver
Cisco Internetwork Operating System Software
IOS (tm) 2500 Software (C2500-IS56-L), Version 11.3(11a), RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)
Copyright (c) 1986-1999 by cisco Systems, Inc.
Compiled Mon 20-Sep-99 11:11 by jjgreen
Image text-base: 0x03038360, data-base: 0x00001000
code:
FRAME_RELAY#show ip interface brief
Interface              IP-Address      OK? Method Status                Protocol
BRI0                   unassigned      YES unset  administratively down down   
BRI0:1                 unassigned      YES unset  administratively down down   
BRI0:2                 unassigned      YES unset  administratively down down   
Serial0                unassigned      YES unset  up                    up     
Serial1                unassigned      YES unset  up                    up     
Serial2                unassigned      YES unset  down                  down   
Serial3                unassigned      YES unset  administratively down down   
TokenRing0             unassigned      YES unset  administratively down down
code:
FRAME_RELAY#show interface serial 2
Serial2 is down, line protocol is down
  Hardware is CD2430 in sync mode
  MTU 1500 bytes, BW 115 Kbit, DLY 20000 usec,
     reliability 255/255, txload 1/255, rxload 1/255
  Encapsulation FRAME-RELAY, loopback not set, keepalive set (10 sec)
  LMI enq sent  0, LMI stat recvd 0, LMI upd recvd 0
  LMI enq recvd 0, LMI stat sent  0, LMI upd sent  0, DCE LMI down
  LMI DLCI 1023  LMI type is CISCO  frame relay DCE
  Broadcast queue 0/64, broadcasts sent/dropped 0/0, interface broadcasts 0
  Last input never, output never, output hang never
  Last clearing of "show interface" counters never
  Input queue: 0/75/0 (size/max/drops); Total output drops: 0
  Queueing strategy: weighted fair
  Output queue: 0/1000/64/0 (size/max total/threshold/drops)
     Conversations  0/0/256 (active/max active/max total)
     Reserved Conversations 0/0 (allocated/max allocated)
  5 minute input rate 0 bits/sec, 0 packets/sec
  5 minute output rate 0 bits/sec, 0 packets/sec
     0 packets input, 0 bytes, 0 no buffer
     Received 0 broadcasts, 0 runts, 0 giants, 0 throttles
     0 input errors, 0 CRC, 0 frame, 0 overrun, 0 ignored, 0 abort
     0 packets output, 0 bytes, 0 underruns
     0 output errors, 0 collisions, 1 interface resets
     0 output buffer failures, 0 output buffers swapped out
     0 carrier transitions
     DCD=up  DSR=up  DTR=down  RTS=down  CTS=up
Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

inignot
Sep 1, 2003

WWBCD?

Paul Boz_ posted:

I wrapped up the CCDA last week and I'm getting into the CCDP ARCH material now. I'm finding that design is really fun and I have a knack for it. Has anyone else taken the ARCH that has some tips? The info out there on the exam is scarce at best.

The PDIOO process & Enterprise Composite model that Cisco pushes in their design certs are complete and total candyland nonsense used by no one.

Paul Boz_
Dec 21, 2003

Sin City

inignot posted:

The PDIOO process & Enterprise Composite model that Cisco pushes in their design certs are complete and total candyland nonsense used by no one.

Okay? Cisco partners hire people with CCDA/CCDP certifications. My goal isn't to imagine I live in some fairy land where the PPDIOO and enterprise composite model exist in every network - it's to make myself as appealing to employers as possible. Cisco Partners sell cisco products. To sell cisco products you have to know how they're designed and implemented in cisco-oriented networks. That's what the design certs do. I've got a CCNP for the "real world" stuff. The design stuff is for the pay check.

inignot
Sep 1, 2003

WWBCD?
By all means pursue the CCDP for the increased employability. I've been a CCDP since 2002 and worked for a Cisco global partner for the past five years. Just be aware that the CCDA/CCDP material is insane and has no applicability beyond the test. I suggest you cynically treat the test as a hoop jumping exercise for a piece of paper. It's not something to kick yourself in the rear end over. None of the Cisco sales engineers or professional services people I've ever dealt with used or ever even mentioned the methodologies in the CCDA/DP track. For any real world designs you need to do, draw upon the general routing and switching skills you've built via the CCNP track. Simply knowing the types of OSPF non backbone areas will put your expertise beyond 80% of the "engineers" you will encounter.

atticus
Nov 7, 2002

this is how u post~
:madmax::hf::riker:

Paul Boz_ posted:

I've got a CCNP for the "real world" stuff.

Don't take this the wrong way, but I thought a CCNP was for the "real world" stuff too. It's not.

Don't get me wrong, I think certifications serve their purpose, but I don't really agree with your expectations after obtaining them.

Paul Boz_
Dec 21, 2003

Sin City

atticus posted:

Don't take this the wrong way, but I thought a CCNP was for the "real world" stuff too. It's not.

Don't get me wrong, I think certifications serve their purpose, but I don't really agree with your expectations after obtaining them.

It's worked so far.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

I'm in a CCNA class and currently working with a 2600 router. Part of the class involves password recovery/overriding and getting to the rommon> prompt by pressing break during boot.

I'm using ZTerm on OS X 10.5.4 and it seems it won't send break properly. I have tried the shortcut command + B, and tried clicking on the menu item (my instructor did too, so I assume it's not my timing that is the problem) but neither of them cause it to bypass the normal booting procedure.

Can anyone help please?

Also if anyone can let me know what program (from Cydia on 2.0) I'd use to telnet to my devices from my iPhone I'd be very grateful.

Sir Sidney Poitier fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Aug 3, 2008

H.R. Paperstacks
May 1, 2006

This is America
My president is black
and my Lambo is blue

Bob Morales posted:

I guess my option now would be to create an interface (eth1) on the 1812, connect the T1 to that

You know you cannot plug a T1 into an ethernet interface correct?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

routenull0 posted:

You know you cannot plug a T1 into an ethernet interface correct?

I know that, I'm talking about the cable with the data side of the T1 on it, coming out of the router given to us from the telco.

jwh
Jun 12, 2002

Bob Morales posted:

Or is there a way to automate this?

There is a way to automate the fail-over, but it's complex. Normally you could simply use differently weighted static routes, but since your T1 is connecting to another router, and the link between these routers isn't likely to fail (and thus affect the route failover), you'll need to get creative.

I forget who it was in this thread, but somebody had a working OER (now called PfR) configuration. You'll want to check that out. Or, alternatively, turn up some kind of dynamic routing protocol between your 1841 and your provider's router.

jwh
Jun 12, 2002

para posted:

Am I missing something or am I going to need a different router to act as the frame switch?

code:
2611#show run interface serial 0/0

Current configuration : 152 bytes
!
interface Serial0/0
 ip address 192.168.10.3 255.255.255.0
 fair-queue
 frame-relay map ip 192.168.10.1 301 broadcast
end
What does 'show int se0/0' and 'show controller serial0/0' say on the 2611? Can you bring the clock rate down on to match the sync rate of Serial2 on the 2521?

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

jwh posted:

I forget who it was in this thread, but somebody had a working OER (now called PfR) configuration. You'll want to check that out. Or, alternatively, turn up some kind of dynamic routing protocol between your 1841 and your provider's router.

I was the guy screwing around with OER. In the end I found that it was fairly useless because it doesn't masquerade the return IP address, so while your outbound traffic will pick the best route, the return traffic won't, and you'll get insane latency. You can get around that by having the OER device also perform NAT, but all the customers I was going to use it on have firewalls with routed IP address blocks, and OER doesn't magically change the routing tables on other routers upstream.

M@
Jul 10, 2004
Does anyone here fancy themselves an Aironet expert? We have a customer that's having a problem with a couple access points (AIR-AP1030-A-K9) that we sold them a while back.

Customer posted:

14 of the 25 will not attach to any of my controllers.
Looking at the Message Logs within the controller, I'm seeing 11 of
the 14 logging Radius errors. I have no radius server configured on my
controllers.
I have attached the message log from the controller.

If these were at another customer site that had radius configured, I am
concerned that they will never attach to any controller unless I can either duplicate the customer config (highly unlikey) or default the AP's. The only documentation I found says that the AP's have to be attached to a controller to factory default them.

Here's some of the message log:

Error posted:

Wed Jul 30 11:38:14 2008 [ERROR] spam_lrad.c 11449: Received replay error(slot = 0, vapId = 1, count = 1) from AP 00:0B:85:14:82:40
Wed Jul 30 11:38:14 2008 Previous message occurred 2 times
Wed Jul 30 11:33:16 2008 [ERROR] spam_lrad.c 10758: Unable to send Delete-Mobile request to unknown AP 00:0b:85:23:d7:80
Wed Jul 30 11:33:10 2008 [ERROR] spam_l2.c 618: Max retransmissions reached on AP 00:0B:85:23:DA:A0 (IMAGE_DATA
, 1)
Wed Jul 30 11:33:05 2008 [ERROR] spam_apf.c 429: Unable to find AP 00:0B:85:23:D7:80
Wed Jul 30 11:32:53 2008 [ERROR] spam_tmr.c 501: Did not receive hearbeat reply from AP 00:0b:85:23:d7:80
Wed Jul 30 11:32:48 2008 [ERROR] spam_l2.c 618: Max retransmissions reached on AP 00:0B:85:23:E5:60 (IMAGE_DATA
, 1)
Wed Jul 30 11:32:30 2008 [ERROR] spam_l2.c 353: Received packet with invalid sequence number (got 90, expected 91) from AP 00:0B:85:23:DA:A0
Wed Jul 30 11:31:30 2008 [ERROR] spam_radius.c 94: spamRadiusProcessResponse: AP Authorization failure for 00:0b:85:5f:15:e0
Wed Jul 30 11:31:29 2008 [ERROR] spam_radius.c 94: spamRadiusProcessResponse: AP Authorization failure for 00:0b:85:5f:16:00
Wed Jul 30 11:31:27 2008 [ERROR] spam_l2.c 618: Max retransmissions reached on AP 00:0B:85:6D:6A:90 (CONFIGURE_COMMAND
, 1)

Is there really no way to fix the "will not connect to controller" issue without connecting it to a controller?

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

In preparation for my CCNA exam I'm running through some exercises on PacketTracer. I have noticed some odd behaviour and wondered if it's normal.

Say I've got a simple network that goes:

PC1 - switch - router - router - router - switch - PC2

And I've set up RIP properly. I try pinging from PC1 to PC to via CLI and it doesn't work. I then think "why doesn't this work?" and do the normal troubleshooting pings to each step in between, starting at PC1, moving towards PC2 and they all work. I then get to PC2 and do it again and it works - just only after I have pinged every step in between.

Does anyone know why this is? Is this to encourage thorough troubleshooting or something? Or is it some feature of networking I'm overlooking.

jwh
Jun 12, 2002

M@ posted:

Is there really no way to fix the "will not connect to controller" issue without connecting it to a controller?

I was trying to figure this out for you, but I'm afraid I haven't found anything. I have a lot of 1130AGs that aren't in production yet, and I'd hate to discover that they can't be reset unless they're attached to a controller.

I'll keep looking though, and hopefully we can find something.

inignot
Sep 1, 2003

WWBCD?
I have dim memories of receiving a demo AP from Cisco that was configured in lightweight mode. I couldn't make any config changes until I converted it to autonomous mode. The conversion procedure was different from a typical password recovery. This may or may not apply to your issue:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/wireless/access_point/conversion/lwapp/upgrade/guide/lwapnote.html#wp161272

tortilla_chip
Jun 13, 2007

k-partite

Anjow posted:

words

You could be running into an ARP issue. I'm not very familiar with the Packet Tracer software though.

tortilla_chip fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Aug 12, 2008

ior
Nov 21, 2003

What's a fuckass?

M@ posted:

Does anyone here fancy themselves an Aironet expert? We have a customer that's having a problem with a couple access points (AIR-AP1030-A-K9) that we sold them a while back.

Here's some of the message log:

Try config auth-list add mic 00:0b:85:5f:15:e0 and so on with the mac-addresses found in the auth failure messages.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Anjow posted:

In preparation for my CCNA exam I'm running through some exercises on PacketTracer. I have noticed some odd behaviour and wondered if it's normal.

Say I've got a simple network that goes:

PC1 - switch - router - router - router - switch - PC2

And I've set up RIP properly. I try pinging from PC1 to PC to via CLI and it doesn't work. I then think "why doesn't this work?" and do the normal troubleshooting pings to each step in between, starting at PC1, moving towards PC2 and they all work. I then get to PC2 and do it again and it works - just only after I have pinged every step in between.

Does anyone know why this is? Is this to encourage thorough troubleshooting or something? Or is it some feature of networking I'm overlooking.

If you are running rip, are you sure you have the router setup properly?

Are the switches acting as layer 3 devices or just switches?

The symptom you describe look like you have some overlap with your rip networks so rather than routing its using layer 2 and learning a mac-address then forwarding the frame based on the mac, rather than using IP.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

The switches are just layer 2 and acting in the simplest capacity - no VLANs, just plug and play.

Excuse my ignorance, but can you elaborate on the RIP overlap? Is that a router taking information from too many sources or something?

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
Rip is a classful protocol.

What this means is that depending on how you have your routing config setup you could be ommitting a route between networks.

Basically if you have say 3 networks and they are 10.1.0.0, 10.2.0.0, 10.3.0.0 you will most likely run into routing problems.

The easiest way to help you would be if you posted the router config so that we can point out where the error is.

Post your rip configs, as well as tell us what the IP addressing is. Also do a "show ip route" on each router, and post that info.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

Okie dokie I will do that the next time it crops up - unfortunately I can't remember which simulation I was running when I last encountered it but it's not an urgent issue for me anyway.

Next enquiry:

I'm currently using a Linksys WAG200G to connect to my ISP and to organise port forwarding and so on. The problem is this device can only forward 20 ports and I may need more than that soon.

Mainly out of interest (because I probably don't have the cash right now), is there any Cisco device I could replace it with? I would use the box my ISP provides to connect (it's poo poo as a router, but fine in bridge mode) and I could use an access point to deal with wifi - that's not to say I'd rule out any with wifi. I'd use the router (which would just need 2 ethernet interfaces really) to forward ports, maybe deal with QoS and maybe (eventually - once I'm done with the certification) some inter-VLAN routing one day.

I don't mind ebay/second hand suggestions. Let me know if I've not been specific enough with requirements.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
I'm using a Cisco 851w. It does Wireless, and I've had hundreds of ports forwarded with it (though that isn't pretty it is functional). It also runs IOS so if you want more familiarity with the capabilities of the operating system.

They can be had for about 60 bucks 2nd hand. And even new they aren't that bad.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

That sounds ideal, thanks. I would be looking for something that ran IOS just because. I think I'll have to wait for a deal to come up though because here (UK) they're £200+ new and I haven't seen any second hand.

Edit: Just figured I'd tack this on - what does SDM stand for in this context? Is it 'Security Device Manager'? I searched acronymfinder and that's what it came up with but obviously it doesn't do contexts. Previously I'd known it to mean Space Division Multiplexing.

Sir Sidney Poitier fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Aug 12, 2008

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
Try ebay. Maybe This.