Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Smam
Jul 31, 2003

Zaftig posted:

Oh hey, I like knitting. I've knit way more things than I should show at one time, so here's a few I like a lot.

Knitty's Shimmer. It was my first lace project so it's kind of hosed up, but I was still really happy with it until I realized the front looks awful. I need to fix that some day. Pardon my face.

A dollar store doll made into an angel (this is crocheted, actually). I made it up as I went along.

Knitty's Palette. I'm in a few knitting communities that love Noro, but I can't handle animal fiber. Noro Lilly Multi is really hard to find, but it's silk/cotton and feels great.

And this. I did it as a final project last fall. I meant to do the whole face, but it was my first time portrait knitting and the most complicated colorwork I'd done, so I ran out of time. I also didn't knit much for a while after this.

Crocheted Dalek contemplates exterminating Vermont (I still have not watched Dr. Who, but the boyfriend loves it).

And here's my boyfriend (before hair cut) in a pacman hat. The ghosts are a bit stretched at the edges.

Hey you look familiar. o_O
hehe awesome portrait knitting, I've been trying to figure out a project with something similar using tapestry crochet but life is too busy right now to actually work on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moonsour
Feb 13, 2007

Ortowned
Thanks. I guess I'll give a pattern a try. :D I'll post the results if it's not too miserable looking.

Slaughtermelon
Dec 24, 2007
The most metal fruit.
Ok, first up we have an early foray into color. The idea was to use up some of my aunt's homespun (from her own sheep!) I was going to make a hat in several panels but this is the only one that happened.

Unfortunately, I messed up the tension so it's all warpy now.

Here is knitty's Mon Petit Chou modeled on a pillow for modesty.

I have this problem where I like all the colors in a variegated yarn so I buy the yarn but then I hate the way variegated yarn knits up in most cases.

Finally, my current project: a Doctor Who-esque scarf.

I used https://doctorwhoscarf.com (I love that this is an actual website) as a reference. Still weaving in the ends and doing tassels.

Slaughtermelon fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Aug 1, 2008

Janelle
Apr 5, 2004
http://www.coatsandclark.com/Crafts/Crochet/Projects/AfghansThrows/SB300-003+Diamond+Trellis.htm

Ok, there's the pattern I'm working. I get through row 3, turn and am having trouble. I have actually finished row 4, but when I go to work row 5, the instructions for the row don't match what I have. Is there anyone who can help decode? This is my first time following a pattern. Thanks in advance.

*I will edit to add, I tried to work more of the afghan with what I had, ended up unraveling a whole row, but I got it so that the directions in the 5th row match what was done in the 4th. Got all the way to the 7th row and my diamonds do not look like diamonds and there is some bunching.

'st' can mean any stitch, including the double stitches (from the previous row) or loop?

Janelle fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Aug 2, 2008

Pile of Kittens
Apr 23, 2005

Why does everything STILL smell like pussy?

Janelle posted:

http://www.coatsandclark.com/Crafts/Crochet/Projects/AfghansThrows/SB300-003+Diamond+Trellis.htm

Ok, there's the pattern I'm working. I get through row 3, turn and am having trouble. I have actually finished row 4, but when I go to work row 5, the instructions for the row don't match what I have. Is there anyone who can help decode? This is my first time following a pattern. Thanks in advance.

*I will edit to add, I tried to work more of the afghan with what I had, ended up unraveling a whole row, but I got it so that the directions in the 5th row match what was done in the 4th. Got all the way to the 7th row and my diamonds do not look like diamonds and there is some bunching.

'st' can mean any stitch, including the double stitches (from the previous row) or loop?

Depends on the age of the pattern. Modern patterns count loops of any kind - from knit-back-and-fronts, yarn overs, and so on. However, you may have one of those patterns that magically assumes you're dropping the YOs from the previous rows.

Do you end up with the right number of stitches in the row? Or do you get to the end of the written row and still have three stitches on the left needle?

elbow
Jun 7, 2006

Is Ravelry working for any of you? It's been down since Friday evening (UK) for me, which I think is sort of absurdly long.

Midnight Sun
Jun 25, 2007

elbow posted:

Is Ravelry working for any of you? It's been down since Friday evening (UK) for me, which I think is sort of absurdly long.
It's working just fine over here (Norway).
I actually ordered a "love [1]"-tshirt from the mini-mart today. :D

Janelle
Apr 5, 2004

Pile of Kittens posted:

Depends on the age of the pattern. Modern patterns count loops of any kind - from knit-back-and-fronts, yarn overs, and so on. However, you may have one of those patterns that magically assumes you're dropping the YOs from the previous rows.

Do you end up with the right number of stitches in the row? Or do you get to the end of the written row and still have three stitches on the left needle?

No leftover stitches, and the stitch count is right. I can crochet according to the next row, however, it's not making the diamond shaping, it's bunching instead. :shrug:

Pile of Kittens
Apr 23, 2005

Janelle posted:

No leftover stitches, and the stitch count is right. I can crochet according to the next row, however, it's not making the diamond shaping, it's bunching instead. :shrug:

How many repeats have you done?

fap
Jul 1, 2003

roll you up into my life.
I broke my yarn diet today - Picked up some Kauni that I've been wanting forever, some Malabrigo, and lots of Kureyon.

Oh man, my husband's going to kill me :(

I'm making a chemo cap for my husband's Grandmother who's going through Chemo with the Malabrigo, so it wasn't a total spendfest. (Most of it was, though)

Edit: anyone doing the Ravelympics? I signed up for the Hat Dash, and I don't know if I can do it. (I'm a very slow knitter.)

fap fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Aug 5, 2008

Bob Shadycharacter
Dec 19, 2005
I just looked back up in the thread, and I posted on April 28th that I had majorly hosed up my fir cone shawl.

I JUST finished fixing it, this past weekend. I was in major denail for a long time, and then I took ages to pick back the stitches (no way could I have ripped and actually picked them all up again). Picking out lace stitches SUCKS rear end. Especially tripple decreases. Goddamn.

When I got back to the section where I had screwed up, instead of going around and picking out a whole other round, I just picked out the stithces from that side - leaving a really long float that was the working yarn when I first knitted that section. Attached at both ends. Then I put it down for another few weeks...

Of course when I re-knit it I ended up running out of yarn at the end of the row, because my tension must have been slightly tighter this time around (I WONDER WHY) and I had to go back and loosed each stitch...and then I had too much leftover and had to tighten up, and then I had to transfer the stitches back to the other needle so I could start knitting the normal way again and they were all really tight...argh!

But I'm back on track. I've been working on this drat thing for two years now. Only three chart rows and an edging to go...(watch me run out of yarn).

Whenever people tell me that knitting must be such a nice, relaxing hobby, I just laugh.

elbow
Jun 7, 2006

^^^^ This is pretty much why I have yet to do any lace, it just scares the hell out of me, and I would never have enough patience and discipline to actually finish it.

fap posted:

Edit: anyone doing the Ravelympics? I signed up for the Hat Dash, and I don't know if I can do it. (I'm a very slow knitter.)

Hats generally don't take too much time to knit, I'm sure you'll do fine :)
I'm doing WIP wrestling (I have to line my ugly doctor's bag and finish a cardigan/capelet type thing), mitten medley (Endpaper mitts) and Cowl Jump or something.

I'm in Team Zissou, which is the awesomest team out there, obviously!

Janelle
Apr 5, 2004

Pile of Kittens posted:

How many repeats have you done?

I'll retry it, I unraveled what I had, it should have been enough to see a full diamond, but it didn't even come close. I'll retry and post pictures of what I do.

Pile of Kittens
Apr 23, 2005

elbow posted:

^^^^ This is pretty much why I have yet to do any lace, it just scares the hell out of me, and I would never have enough patience and discipline to actually finish it.

Lace isn't bad! You just can't screw up.

Janelle, yeah, give it another try with at least two repeats. Sometimes it just doesn't happen until you do it a couple times. Or, you can pick another pattern. That's what I do when a pattern pisses me off.

Shnooks
Mar 24, 2007

I'M BEING BORN D:
Stupid question coming up!

I am knitting these and the ribbing around the wrist is loose. My hands are also super duper tiny.

Do you think it'd be strange if I weaved elastic into there?

Bob Shadycharacter
Dec 19, 2005

Shnooks posted:

I am knitting these and the ribbing around the wrist is loose. My hands are also super duper tiny.

Some people get elastic thread in a matching color to knit into the ribbing on socks, so I don't think it would be terribly weird at all, no.

RubySprinkles
Jul 8, 2008
Knit and felted Warhammer 40k Ork laptop cozy. This is the most recent problem I've worked on. It's also the most complex. This was my first real project with intarsia work! :)

Click here for the full 1600x1200 image.

jomiel
Feb 19, 2008

nya

RubySprinkles posted:

Knit and felted Warhammer 40k Ork laptop cozy. This is the most recent problem I've worked on. It's also the most complex. This was my first real project with intarsia work! :)

That is so awesome. I want to make my own companion cube!

knittedsister
Mar 16, 2007
One Stitch at a Time

Shnooks posted:

You could do the ribbing on smaller needles or fewer stitches. Of course, I hate ripping out my knitting, so the elastic might be your solution this time.

My latest-a hat made of my handspun. The pattern is Coronet.

Bob Shadycharacter
Dec 19, 2005

elbow posted:

It's really not that different than anything else - it helps to be able to "read" your knitting (like, look at the previous row and follow the chart and make sure you did it right) rather than just counting on # of stitches. I SHOULD have noticed that I was doing something wrong because I ought to have run out of stitches at the end of the row, but I guess I wasn't paying attention that one time.

Now that I've fixed my little problem, I have ten rounds to go, and then the edging. If I can not make any more gently caress-ups, all I really have to worry about is running out of yarn (I swear I had another skein of this somewhere but I can't remember how many times I've joined new balls on and of course I used the really fantastic invisible felted join).

deety
Aug 2, 2004

zombies + sharks = fun

RubySprinkles posted:

That looks really good, but using red for the background it would have made your laptop go faster. :orks:

RubySprinkles
Jul 8, 2008

deety posted:

That looks really good, but using red for the background it would have made your laptop go faster. :orks:

Very true... May do that for mine. This one was for one of my boyfriend's friends.

Edit: Inner grammar Nazi caught an error...

fap
Jul 1, 2003

knittedsister posted:

You could do the ribbing on smaller needles or fewer stitches. Of course, I hate ripping out my knitting, so the elastic might be your solution this time.

My latest-a hat made of my handspun. The pattern is Coronet.

After frogging Koolhaas twice, and not getting past the first non ribbed row in two days, I decided to do this as a chemo cap. Thank you, thank you. I was pulling out my hair trying to do cabling without a cable needle. I tried it with a cable needle, and couldn't read the knitting, so I kept getting lost. I guess I like bigger cables. I'm not giving up on the Koolhaas forever though.

My coronet is in Malabrigo Alpine Pearl. It's very pretty. I got my yarn in the mail yesterday and I have to say it's the prettiest yarn I've ever seen. Especially the Kauni. I got the rainbow. :) And I also think I'm over my head again wanting to do this for my first lace project. But you never know until you try (and then promptly pull your hair out.)

knittedsister
Mar 16, 2007
One Stitch at a Time

fap posted:

After frogging Koolhaas twice, and not getting past the first non ribbed row in two days, I decided to do this as a chemo cap. Thank you, thank you. I was pulling out my hair trying to do cabling without a cable needle. I tried it with a cable needle, and couldn't read the knitting, so I kept getting lost. I guess I like bigger cables. I'm not giving up on the Koolhaas forever though.

My coronet is in Malabrigo Alpine Pearl. It's very pretty. I got my yarn in the mail yesterday and I have to say it's the prettiest yarn I've ever seen. Especially the Kauni. I got the rainbow. :) And I also think I'm over my head again wanting to do this for my first lace project. But you never know until you try (and then promptly pull your hair out.)

I'd like to do a Koolhaas someday. That's a lot of cables to track. I tried doing cables without a cable needle and I dropped stitches. It's just not worth it. I stalked you on Ravelry and I think I found your Alpine Pearl hat (http://www.ravelry.com/projects/purple1cow/coronet?). It's lovely.
You should definitely go for the northern lights. It looks like a fairly simple pattern with a lot of impact.

fap
Jul 1, 2003

knittedsister posted:

I'd like to do a Koolhaas someday. That's a lot of cables to track. I tried doing cables without a cable needle and I dropped stitches. It's just not worth it. I stalked you on Ravelry and I think I found your Alpine Pearl hat (http://www.ravelry.com/projects/purple1cow/coronet?). It's lovely.
You should definitely go for the northern lights. It looks like a fairly simple pattern with a lot of impact.

This is me.
I haven't gone very far on the coronet, things are a little crazy right now. And I know I'm not going to be able to do the three hats I pledged for Ravelympics. Oh well.

knittedsister
Mar 16, 2007
One Stitch at a Time

fap posted:

This is me.
I haven't gone very far on the coronet, things are a little crazy right now. And I know I'm not going to be able to do the three hats I pledged for Ravelympics. Oh well.

Oops! Well, at least you can see how your coronet will look! Here's Me. Coronet doesn't take very long, you'll have it soon.

Midnight Sun
Jun 25, 2007

Here are this summer's leftover yarn projects. Felted slippers ahoy!

elbow
Jun 7, 2006

I did two projects for the Ravelympics but only finished one before the deadline. I finished the cowl yesterday, but haven't blocked either of them yet.

My first fair isle project:

And my first time using Noro, still not sure what I think of it. I'm really proud of myself for mastering the moebius cast-on, even if it took me 3 tries to get it right :)

I'm making matching fingerless mitts to go with the cowl, hopefully I can manage with the slightly less than one full skein that I have left!

Midnight Sun
Jun 25, 2007

Love the cowl, elbow. :)

Janelle
Apr 5, 2004
What does it mean when a pattern has an instruction at the end of a row in a parenthesis? "Row 2: (Sc, ch 2, dc) in first ch-2 sp, (ch 2, dc in next ch-2 sp) 3 times, ch 2, (dc, ch 2, dc) in last sp. (7 dc)" is the instruction, but the dc, ch 2, dc fills up the last space, where do the 7 double crotchets go?

Pile of Kittens
Apr 23, 2005

I think it means they all go in one stitch.

stars
Jun 11, 2008
Right, but at the end I think it just means that you end up with 7 stitches.

Here is a knit I made for my grandmother's 80th birthday:

Click here for the full 1310x1819 image.

Excuse my belly. Grandma is about 8 inches short than me.

It's made of Lion Brand wool, the kind that is 'great for felting' and therefore makes me slightly nervous. The pattern I mostly just made up, I had some kind of cable pattern that I can find if anyone wants it.

Midnight Sun
Jun 25, 2007

Stars, that's such a cute sweater. :)

Calienta
Apr 4, 2008
I've previously posted a picture of my first ever project, a sweater for my dog. After that I made a scarf, and just last week I finished my third project - a bag for my mom's pilates mat.

This is what it was supposed to look like:

But I didn't like the colours nor the pattern particularly, so I made my own:

Here is the finished product. It's the first time I've used two colours before, so it's a bit tight in those areas, otherwise, I think it turned out alright. I had my boss crochet the shoulder strap and drawstring as I can't crochet.

Micomicona
Aug 7, 2007

elbow posted:

I did two projects for the Ravelympics but only finished one before the deadline. I finished the cowl yesterday, but haven't blocked either of them yet.

My first fair isle project:

And my first time using Noro, still not sure what I think of it. I'm really proud of myself for mastering the moebius cast-on, even if it took me 3 tries to get it right :)

Oh those are gorgeous! I'm working on the same pattern (halfway through mitt number two) with Drops Alpaca (mmmmmmmmmmm). I wasn't man enough for the moebius cast-on, unfortunately :(. Once I get my camera working again I'll post pics.

elbow
Jun 7, 2006

Micomicona posted:

Oh those are gorgeous! I'm working on the same pattern (halfway through mitt number two) with Drops Alpaca (mmmmmmmmmmm). I wasn't man enough for the moebius cast-on, unfortunately :(. Once I get my camera working again I'll post pics.

Thanks! What colors are you using? I love browsing through the Endpaper Mitts project page to see what amazing combinations people have made.
Unfortunately I discovered that one of my mitts is short one pattern repeat (:downs:), but after blocking you can't really tell that much, so I'm not going to fix it.

You should definitely try the moebius cast-on, it's so easy! Granted, it took me 3 tries, but that was only because I didn't read the part where it said that every time you loop the yarn from under and then from above the cable, you end up with 4 stitches instead of 2. That would have been a huge cowl.

Midnight Sun
Jun 25, 2007

I've knit a Le Slouch.

Midnight Sun fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Sep 11, 2008

Micomicona
Aug 7, 2007

elbow posted:

Thanks! What colors are you using? I love browsing through the Endpaper Mitts project page to see what amazing combinations people have made.
Unfortunately I discovered that one of my mitts is short one pattern repeat (:downs:), but after blocking you can't really tell that much, so I'm not going to fix it.

You should definitely try the moebius cast-on, it's so easy! Granted, it took me 3 tries, but that was only because I didn't read the part where it said that every time you loop the yarn from under and then from above the cable, you end up with 4 stitches instead of 2. That would have been a huge cowl.

I actually kind of regret my color choices: a beautiful mulberry and a dark tealy green. Both lovely colors, and lovely together in the ball, but when they're knit up there is pretty much no contrast so you can't see the pattern as well. I've fallen in love with the yarn though, and I love the mitts themselves (even without pattern definition, they fit great and look awesome), so I figure once I finish up with it I'll buy more and make another pair (mmm maybe a pumpkin orange and a cream).

natashafatale
May 2, 2004

eville will always triumph because good is dumb

stars posted:

Click here for the full 1310x1819 image.

It's made of Lion Brand wool, the kind that is 'great for felting' and therefore makes me slightly nervous.

Beautiful! It will be fine from daily wear, just make sure she doesn't wash it in the machine or put it in the dryer. Maybe when you give it to her, give her some of that no-rinse wool wash and strict instructions to soak it and then flat dry with no aggitation.

And now I will show off some of my handspun skeins, hopefully that's not too off topic for this thread:

I babble about my adventures at http://blog.grittyknits.com

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midnight Sun
Jun 25, 2007

Some more felted stuff: A wine bottle bag with needle felted heart.

(Cat and wine not included.) :3: