Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe

3toes posted:

Tort, the answer is always tort.

Yes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

Very strong. Everyone likes me.

3toes posted:

Tort, the answer is always tort.

But yeah, looks great.

I'm thinking of putting tort on this guy:

But I don't know what color. Red would look cool but I was thinking silver also. I just want it to look sexy as gently caress.

I guess I could do black on black. With the black pickups it might look loving cool. Any Suggestions?

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
The only thing better than black + tort is black + tort + maple

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 10 days!

3toes posted:

The only thing better than black + tort is black + tort + maple

Is that the fretless? How are you getting on with it, it looks loving delicious. I have a serious hardon for fretless instruments right now, I might get a fretless guitar.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Stux posted:

Is that the fretless? How are you getting on with it, it looks loving delicious. I have a serious hardon for fretless instruments right now, I might get a fretless guitar.

Yeah it is. It needs a better bridge, new input jack (and probably better pickups) and some flatwounds, but it's ok. Only cost me $60 total for the neck. The body/electronics I got from a friends little brother.

CanuckBassist
Mar 20, 2007

Stux posted:

I have a serious hardon for fretless instruments right now, I might get a fretless guitar.

I've never seen a fretless guitar before. I imagine it'd be really difficult to do anything but simple chords and single notes.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 10 days!

CanuckBassist posted:

I've never seen a fretless guitar before. I imagine it'd be really difficult to do anything but simple chords and single notes.

Id probably get this http://www.rondomusic.com/product1052.html as its pretty cheap so its not a huge loss if I dont get on with it.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

I just got a new pickguard for my Jaguar, actually.

It's cloudy as hell with little natural light so the pictures came out pretty poor, I'm afraid.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Listen, Mr. Kansas Law Dog.
Law don't go around here.
Savvy?
Just finalized a trade this morning for this right here:

Gibson Les Paul Blonde Beauty, featuring a flamed maple neck!

Schatten
Jul 7, 2002

Das ist nicht meine
schnellen Rennwagen

Carbohydrates posted:

HOLY CRAP! What did you give up for it?

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Listen, Mr. Kansas Law Dog.
Law don't go around here.
Savvy?

Schatten posted:

HOLY CRAP! What did you give up for it?
The '78 Jazz. As sweet as it is, I never bonded with it.

Shartjorts
Mar 17, 2007

by Fistgrrl

Carbohydrates posted:

Holy poo poo.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

Well, I'm running a thread at HCFX on the Cool Cats, and someone wanted me to compare the Transparent Overdrive to the Digitech Bad Monkey. I know the Bad Monkey from previous experience with it, and it's a really fine pedal indeed, but I don't happen to have one. Or, well, I didn't.

That's probably enough pedals for right now.

I don't even think I'll use it very much, because I've found that running my TransOD --> Wasabi OD --> Liquid Blues (all configured for low individual gain) into my THD Univalve on its "Roll" channel at about half gain gives me the Tone of the Gods. I meant to record some stuff this afternoon but never got around to it because I couldn't stop playing. It was very, very sweet. But you never know - it really is an excellent Tubescreamer-type pedal.

Schatten
Jul 7, 2002

Das ist nicht meine
schnellen Rennwagen
Agreed, I have a Bad Monkey that I don't really use. Want it for cheap?

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

I maybe wasn't too clear, I bought one today from a local shop. So while me-in-time would have will have wanted it, present tense me is doing okay. But someone ought to jump on it, it's a TS clone with some nifty mods that doesn't cost an arm and a leg.

ZombiePeanut
May 11, 2007

by Fistgrrl
Just noticed this up on musician's friend:

Scratch/dent Cool Cat TransOD for $30

OptimusCrime
Jun 17, 2003

cunning linguist

Thoogsby posted:

I'm thinking of putting tort on this guy:

But I don't know what color. Red would look cool but I was thinking silver also. I just want it to look sexy as gently caress.

I guess I could do black on black. With the black pickups it might look loving cool. Any Suggestions?

Black pearl looks sexy on black. So does the gold anodized pickguard on the current montego black American Deluxe Stratocaster. See: http://www.sweetwater.com/store/closeup/StratADMBlk--Main

ZombiePeanut
May 11, 2007

by Fistgrrl

OptimusCrime posted:

Black pearl looks sexy on black. So does the gold anodized pickguard on the current montego black American Deluxe Stratocaster. See: http://www.sweetwater.com/store/closeup/StratADMBlk--Main

Halloweencaster

7 Bowls of Wrath
Mar 30, 2007
Thats so metal.

Found one of these (version 3, 2007) for 100 bucks at atomic music over here in MD, one of the best 100 dollars Ive ever spent... I think this might just do it for me for a while now. I used it sunday night, and well, its perfect. It plays really nice with single coils and screams with 'buckers.

I have gotten an crapload of other things too recently, but havent fixed it all. Ill post up a pic of my latest pedalboard with all the stuff Ive been building for it sometime later when I get done :effort: ...

Oh and, This will be bought sometime soon:

Eric Johnson Signature...

PenguinBob
Oct 12, 2000

CanuckBassist posted:

i think bumblefoot has one.

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

Well I woke up this morning to a package at my front door.

What the gently caress is this? I didn't order a cardboard ghillie suit.

Aww gently caress yeah. It's my Fender Blues Junior with a Celestion Vintage 30.

They also included what looks to be plans to build some sort of spaceship or time traveling machine. They included some writing on it. But I have no idea what it means. Anyone care to decipher it?

Click here for the full 828x750 image.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.

Thoogsby posted:

Anyone care to decipher it?

Looks like they replaced some of the caps with Orange Drop caps, which are pretty high quality.

an AOL chatroom
Oct 3, 2002

The schematic for the Blues Junior says that the C6 capacitor's value is .01 uf and C7 is .1 uf, so it looks like they did a little tinkering.

edit: Maybe this Tone Stack Mod?

an AOL chatroom fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Aug 13, 2008

ZombiePeanut
May 11, 2007

by Fistgrrl

Thoogsby posted:

They also included what looks to be plans to build some sort of spaceship or time traveling machine. They included some writing on it. But I have no idea what it means. Anyone care to decipher it?

Take it down you fool!

If the Illuminati catches wind of this, it will be all over.

It may already be too late.

Prof Eli ASSBLASTER
May 30, 2007

by Fragmaster

Stux posted:

Id probably get this http://www.rondomusic.com/product1052.html as its pretty cheap so its not a huge loss if I dont get on with it.

FYI, they have a b-stock version for cheeeap right now:

http://www.rondomusic.com/product1677.html

Los Padre
Mar 26, 2007

Los Padre is an interesting and sensitive fellow.
Any musicians playing fretless (preferably clean, so I can hear the tone easier) I could myspace or youtube to get a feel for the difference in tone on a fretless?

Dragon Eye Morrison
May 6, 2007

Boston's "More Than A Feeling" is the world's greatest song

Los Padre posted:

Any musicians playing fretless (preferably clean, so I can hear the tone easier) I could myspace or youtube to get a feel for the difference in tone on a fretless?

You can check out David Fiuczynski (he plays a double neck in that video, top neck is fretless). He's one of my heroes, and the inspiration that first sparked my interest in fretless guitars. You can also catch an assortment of fretless artists in this video. Fretless guitar is very fun and you can get badass sounds, but it is incredibly difficult to excel at, and you'll pretty much never, ever use it for rhythm (it's drat near impossible to play any chord more complicated than a power chord effectively without inhuman speed, dexterity, and fretboard familiarity).

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

(Okay, I didn't really get a new turtle, but with everyone talking about tortoise-shell I wanted to be cool too :()

But I did get a chance to snap off some pictures of the snazzy Danelectro pedalboard, loaded with the full complement of their dirt pedals (well, no Metal-II, but the Metal-I is the superior pedal anyway, with a full tone stack instead of a high cut knob!)

Print them out and make a slide show! (Discerning goons might see one of my favorite things, the Roland Microcube, nested comfortably beneath the Danelectro Cool Cat pedalboard - the 5 pedals in the pedalboard and this little gem makes one hell of a versatile portable guitar outfit, provided you're not having to play over anyone.) Sorry about the compression artifacts, it's from the "Night Mode On" that I have to use when taking pictures in anything less than the full glare of the sun. Notice the turtle picture looks fine, taken with the same phone.

If this is the Ark of the Covenant, then I guess I want to be a Nazi. Wait, no, that's not at all what I want. poo poo.

What glories lie within?

Oh, those ones.

(Pedal order: Transparent Overdrive, Fuzz, Drive, Distortion, Metal-I.)

The lid of the pedal board detaches easily when fully open to get it out of the way, but the design is such that when it's closed and latched (the two metal latches are not just for show, they're actually fairly sturdy), it's solid and good to go.

My continued apologies for a lack of substantial demos of the pedals. I've been staying with a relative who is in bad shape and I don't have the means to record anything here, just the Microcube and whatever guitar and pedal (or pedal board, now) I feel like toting along. As soon as I can, though - I've got my recording gear set up, my mic in place, my levels matched. Hopefully it won't be much longer until I can get some good clips posted up to show off the pedals.

Oh, one thing - the Chorus has a volume jump at 50/50 on the mix. When full dry or full wet, unity gain, but it appears to sum the signals, and anyone who has studied audio knows that a simple summing of two split signals that would seem intuitively to result in a unity gain, will in fact result in additional gain, and that is the case here as well. It isn't egregious, and is mostly detectable with distortion. Clean, the effect itself provides enough of a sonic differentiation that your ear isn't really looking for the comparatively subtle volume boost. With distortion, it's enough that I had to readjust my mic preamp so as to avoid hitting the limiter, but I was running close to the ceiling anyway. Still, something to keep in mind! For me, it's much less of a problem than volume drop, and it's easy enough to compensate for it by just keeping the mix a bit on one side or another - 65/35 and vice-versa are enough to nearly kill the boost. Plus, I kind of like to have a little bit of "kick in" on activation when playing, because it makes the effect really stand out (I tend to use chorus for flavor with distortion, and trust me, it's a sometimes food).

I know there have got to be a bunch of people who hear "distortion" and "chorus" and automatically think "too much spandex and makeup," but I've got a fever for chorus.

Hepnotic
Jan 23, 2003
optional; no images are allowed, only text
Just want to give you guys heads up on a sweet deal going on.

musicians friend is blowing out their tube crate amps.

crate's tube amps are actually really great for the price, for those of you who havent played them. a far cry from their solid state practice amps.

18w 1x12 only $150, reg price is $330
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Crate-V-Series-V18112-18W-1x12-Tube-Guitar-Combo-Amp?sku=487051

18w 2x12 only $200, reg price is $380
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Crate-V-Series-V18112-18W-1x12-Tube-Guitar-Combo-Amp?sku=487051

5 watt 1x10, $99, half off reg price

the full list...
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/navigation/crate-amplifiers-speakers-footswitches-guitar-amplifiers-effects?N=100001+500150+338479+201228

I'd already have bought the 18w 2x12, but my neighbors barely tolerate my 5w amp.

Hepnotic fucked around with this message at 08:29 on Aug 14, 2008

Raze
Aug 13, 2005

I'M GOING HOME.

Hepnotic posted:

Just want to give you guys heads up on a sweet deal going on.

musicians friend is blowing out their tube crate amps.

crate's tube amps are actually really great for the price, for those of you who havent played them. a far cry from their solid state practice amps.

the full list...
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/navigation/crate-amplifiers-speakers-footswitches-guitar-amplifiers-effects?N=100001+500150+338479+201228

I'd already have bought the 18w 2x12, but my neighbors barely tolerate my 5w amp.

Oh holy crap. Now I'm seriously considering getting that V33-212. I've been stuck with an Ibanez TB225 for the past ~6 years. Would it really be worth it at $250 for mainly bedroom playing? I don't care if it's too loud, honestly. I'm mainly interested in playing metal, though. Also, why does GC have the same prices now?

Raze fucked around with this message at 14:40 on Aug 14, 2008

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

Raze posted:

Oh holy crap. Now I'm seriously considering getting that V33-212. I've been stuck with an Ibanez TB225 for the past ~6 years. Would it really be worth it at $250 for mainly bedroom playing? I don't care if it's too loud, honestly. I'm mainly interested in playing metal, though. Also, why does GC have the same prices now?

That is an absolute steal at 250 bones, but that amp is far from ideal for metal. It'll work if you hit it with the right pedals though.

Also, GC and MF are the same company now, so their prices are going to match pretty much across the board.

Raze
Aug 13, 2005

I'M GOING HOME.

Gramps posted:

That is an absolute steal at 250 bones, but that amp is far from ideal for metal. It'll work if you hit it with the right pedals though.

Also, GC and MF are the same company now, so their prices are going to match pretty much across the board.

I do have a Maxon OD9 I use for boosts right now. Would that work? Most of my distortion is coming from a Rocktron Pro GAP Ultra at the moment anyways. I suppose I should just wait until I move into some place where I can buy a proper head + cab. :(

When did that merger happen? I thought I remembered seeing GC stock things that MF didn't, but eh. Makes sense, I guess.

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

Raze posted:

I do have a Maxon OD9 I use for boosts right now. Would that work? Most of my distortion is coming from a Rocktron Pro GAP Ultra at the moment anyways. I suppose I should just wait until I move into some place where I can buy a proper head + cab. :(

When did that merger happen? I thought I remembered seeing GC stock things that MF didn't, but eh. Makes sense, I guess.

That particular OD pedal would sound awesome in front of that amp for rock stuff, but running that Rocktron into the effects loop return would give you the wicked metal tones you desire.

And the MF+GC thing happened 3 or 4 years ago.

Susano-maku da!
Nov 12, 2003

Hi. Did you order the Mongolian… Beef?
Do you all know much about how the V5 is, particularly in terms of cleans?

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

Susano-maku da! posted:

Do you all know much about how the V5 is, particularly in terms of cleans?

It has a nice clean, but it starts to break up at a pretty low volume. The dirt ain't too bad either.

doug fuckey
Jun 7, 2007

hella greenbacks

Click here for the full 700x274 image.

Got no job, no money, spent the last of my cash on this little dude. Hells yeah.

Dr.Mosh
May 1, 2004
\m/
A poo poo, I did it. Took 4 months to build. Siggi Braun is an amazing luthier and allround nice guy.

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

Dr.Mosh posted:

A poo poo, I did it. Took 4 months to build. Siggi Braun is an amazing luthier and allround nice guy.

:aaaaa::aaaaa::aaaaa::aaaaa::aaaaa::aaaaa::aaaaa:

What do you tune that amazing beauty to?

Dr.Mosh
May 1, 2004
\m/

Thoogsby posted:

:aaaaa::aaaaa::aaaaa::aaaaa::aaaaa::aaaaa::aaaaa:

What do you tune that amazing beauty to?

It's tuned to F#-B-E-A-D-G-B-e , the scale length is 28 5/8" so it's pretty much perfect tension tuned like that for my playing.
And no, I will not form a Meshuggah cover band :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

Dr.Mosh posted:

It's tuned to F#-B-E-A-D-G-B-e , the scale length is 28 5/8" so it's pretty much perfect tension tuned like that for my playing.
And no, I will not form a Meshuggah cover band :)

I'm intrigued. What type of music do you play that you require such an instrument?

By the way your taste on the wood finish is loving killer.