Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
If you want to hear someone who is insane on an 8-string guitar check out Charlie Hunter. Although I think his is tuned with some bass-strings.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZWyiezH8KGo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sKHdsoReNRE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-B7btsk6ASE <-- This one will blow your loving mind.

Scarf fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Aug 14, 2008

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr.Mosh
May 1, 2004
\m/

Thoogsby posted:

I'm intrigued. What type of music do you play that you require such an instrument?

By the way your taste on the wood finish is loving killer.

Thanks, the wood options were something I decided on very early on

nothing that requires it per se, but I just wanted the option :)
I play heavy stuff, towards grindcore but also am a wankfest lover so I play all sorts of vai, gilbert etc stuff.

Dr.Mosh
May 1, 2004
\m/

3toes posted:

If you want to hear someone who is insane on an 8-string guitar check out Charlie Hunter. Although I think his is tuned with some bass-strings.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-B7btsk6ASE <-- This one will blow your loving mind.

he is truly amazing. But he does more of the bass + guitar type deal you mentioned. I just wanna do low chugging and weedle weeeeee

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

FINALLY got round to getting a decent valve combo, Orange AD15.

Also a Bad Monkey and a Fender Fuzz-Wah, which is neat

The Book I Read
Jan 15, 2008
Have to sing about it.

3toes posted:

How the hell did that entire third video pass before I realised I had just been mesmerised for 6+ minutes? As phenomenal as his guitar playing is, I was most impressed by the pretty good bass playing going on underneath. I was just expecting root notes at the start of every bar or some poo poo, thanks for posting that.

Chows
Apr 13, 2002

3toes posted:

The only thing better than black + tort is black + tort + maple

Ahem.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Chows posted:

Ahem.

Not a fan of red on red, sorry v:shobon:v

Livingston
Jun 28, 2007

:zombie:hiiitsss:zombie:
You crazy! Red/tort looks awesome!

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 9 days!

Dr.Mosh posted:

A poo poo, I did it. Took 4 months to build. Siggi Braun is an amazing luthier and allround nice guy.

Hoooollyyy ffuuuuuccckkk

POST DEMOS NOW!!

What pickups do you have in there?

Prof Eli ASSBLASTER posted:

FYI, they have a b-stock version for cheeeap right now:

http://www.rondomusic.com/product1677.html

I'd jump on that if I wasnt currently saving for my new amp :3:

Chows
Apr 13, 2002

3toes posted:

Not a fan of red on red, sorry v:shobon:v

how bout tort on whatever the hell this is called, then

I'm out of tort after this one :shobon:

Livingston posted:

You crazy! Red/tort looks awesome!
:hfive: candy apple hell yeah

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Chows posted:

how bout tort on whatever the hell this is called, then

I'm out of tort after this one :shobon:

:hfive: candy apple hell yeah

acceptable :waycool:

an AOL chatroom
Oct 3, 2002

My father has closet full of reel-to-reel tapes that he made when he was younger. Just like, stuff he recorded off of the radio, compilations, and stuff like that. Unfortunately, his player broke a few years ago and we haven't had much luck in finding an affordable replacement. Yesterday this popped up on the local craigslist for $60.

Click here for the full 960x1280 image.

It's a 1964 Roberts 770 4 track stereophonic tape recorder. Not only is it in drat-near perfect condition, but it included about 20 tapes (a lot of rock, some folk, and 2 unopened blank reels), the original instructions, ad insert and schematic. I think we're going to try to put a bunch of his reels on CD as a little project, but after that, I want to try and do some recording with it. It's certainly got a decent preamp to it.

Click here for the full 640x480 image.

Click here for the full 480x640 image.

Click here for the full 1280x554 image.

an AOL chatroom fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Aug 15, 2008

Dr.Mosh
May 1, 2004
\m/

Stux posted:

Hoooollyyy ffuuuuuccckkk

POST DEMOS NOW!!

hey, they are custom pickups by harry hauessel http://www.haeussel.com/ and they sound like god or allah, I like them both

Concatenation
Jul 23, 2005

Your human mentality cries out for vengeance and thrives on the violence you say you can hardly endure.

Dr.Mosh posted:

A poo poo, I did it. Took 4 months to build. Siggi Braun is an amazing luthier and allround nice guy.

ungghhh i want to have sex with your guitar holy god

Are the back plate covers made of wood as well? If so, jesus.

edit: Haha, yeah I thought "Stux is going to go apeshit when he sees this" :v:

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 9 days!

Dr.Mosh posted:

hey, they are custom pickups by harry hauessel http://www.haeussel.com/ and they sound like god or allah, I like them both

Its absolutely gorgeous, how much did it set you back if you dont mind me asking? Also I see two outputs, do you have piezos in there or seperate outs for each pickup or something?

Concatenation posted:

edit: Haha, yeah I thought "Stux is going to go apeshit when he sees this" :v:

:v:

God I need an 8 string, looks like the agiles are coming along well though so it'll probably be one of them, dont think I can afford a custom right now!

Dr.Mosh
May 1, 2004
\m/

Stux posted:

Hoooollyyy ffuuuuuccckkk

POST DEMOS NOW!!

I'd jump on that if I wasnt currently saving for my new amp :3:

edit: Aah, I see you already got your answer. too much beer...
Don't really want to openly discuss the price :)
It has piezos in it, that's the 2nd output. The piezos have a seperate volume and 3 band EQ too, in fact, you can seperately set the volume for each piezo if you want.

The backplates are indeed also made of wood and even match the grain. too drat cool

Dr.Mosh fucked around with this message at 14:26 on Aug 15, 2008

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

Very strong. Everyone likes me.
Guitar Center is really loving awful. At least the accessories section.

I just went in with my $20 customer appreciation gift card looking to score some tort. But of course, they only carry flat white and flat black pickquards. What the gently caress? What is the point of that? I was totally looking forward to having a sexy tort transformation (tortformation) for this thread.

I guess I'll have to order one. Probably this: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Fender-American-Standard-Strat-Pickguard-11-Hole-1HB2SC?sku=361292

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

:350:

Thoogsby posted:

I just went in with my $20 customer appreciation gift card looking to score some tort. But of course, they only carry flat white and flat black pickquards. What the gently caress? What is the point of that? I was totally looking forward to having a sexy tort transformation (tortformation) for this thread.

I guess I'll have to order one. Probably this: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Fender-American-Standard-Strat-Pickguard-11-Hole-1HB2SC?sku=361292

Doesn't your gift card work at musiciansfriend?

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

Very strong. Everyone likes me.

renraku posted:

Doesn't your gift card work at musiciansfriend?

It wasn't a giftcard really. It was a piece of paper I got in the mail that could only be redeemed in-store. I did however end up getting 4 sets of strings for $.97.

morningdrew
Jul 18, 2003

It's toe-tapping-ly tragic!

Thoogsby posted:

Our GC nearby has a pretty decent selection of pickguards, but they didn't have an 8 hole 50's Strat one :smith:

OstehQvel
May 7, 2007

Dr.Mosh posted:

Your guitar had me say "wow" out loud to myself, and brought tears to my eyes. That thing is prettiest thing I've ever seen.

As for my next purchase, I've settled on a squier jazz bass deluxefor my first bass guitar. Just waiting for a used one to come on the market, cause it costs loving $650 over here in Norway. Or I might ebay one. I hate instrument prices over here.

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

This might just be the year

OstehQvel posted:

Your guitar had me say "wow" out loud to myself, and brought tears to my eyes. That thing is prettiest thing I've ever seen.

As for my next purchase, I've settled on a squier jazz bass deluxefor my first bass guitar. Just waiting for a used one to come on the market, cause it costs loving $650 over here in Norway. Or I might ebay one. I hate instrument prices over here.
650 for a Squier in Europe? Goddamn, I'd almost recommend going after an SX if its that bad, it might still cost 100+ to ship but you'd still come out way ahead and with a comparable guitar

Zakalwe
May 12, 2002

Wanted For:
  • Terrorism
  • Kidnapping
  • Poor Taste
  • Unlawful Carnal Gopher Knowledge

OstehQvel posted:

What.

http://www.thomann.de/ie/search_dir.html?xsid=7ba0135904a643c4cd6d1bbbc98da7df&sw=squier+bass&x=0&y=0

Thomann deliver nearly everywhere in Europe and are reliable.

€300

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!
I'm about ready to start my Jaguar GK MIDI project but first I need some opinions if you guys can offer some:

1) Anyone ever used a GK guitar in combo with a GI-20? For what? What'd you think?
2) Aluminum guitar necks, yes or no?
3) What's the best place for a single humbucker? Bridge, Middle or Neck? I'm thinking since I can only have one humbucker, middle position would offer the best range of low/high since I'd be losing out on both the bridge and neck positions. (I need the space under the pickguard for the electronics.)

EDIT: What's the deal with the Muse guy's guitar? You know what I mean, the one with the MIDI controller screen.

XYZAB fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Aug 15, 2008

Zakalwe
May 12, 2002

Wanted For:
  • Terrorism
  • Kidnapping
  • Poor Taste

Handen posted:

EDIT: What's the deal with the Muse guy's guitar? You know what I mean, the one with the MIDI controller screen.

His gear is custom built. He has a Fuzz Factory onboard on most/all of his guitars and sometimes a phaser. The MIDI controller screen is a KAOS pad. On one guitar he also has a touch strip for Wah.

Edit: here we go. Manson Guitars http://www.mansonguitars.co.uk/Muse%20gallery/index.htm

Also, the traditional layout for a single hum with singles is hum at the bridge.

Zakalwe fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Aug 15, 2008

Dragon Eye Morrison
May 6, 2007

Boston's "More Than A Feeling" is the world's greatest song

Handen posted:

1) Anyone ever used a GK guitar in combo with a GI-20? For what? What'd you think?

If by "GK guitar" you mean a guitar with the roland GK pickup, they're all rather lackluster regardless of the interface you use. The tracking isn't very responsive. If you want midi capability, get the GHOST saddle pickup system with the Hexpander output module. Of course, as far as I'm aware, this is only available for guitars that have a bridge which uses Strat-style saddles, so unless your project guitar will have this, it's not feasible.

quote:

2) Aluminum guitar necks, yes or no?

I like them. Lots of people don't like them. The main complaints people have about them is the feel (cold) and the sound they impart to your guitar.

quote:

3) What's the best place for a single humbucker?

It's all preference. I prefer bridge, because it has a more present tone and is the least "muddy" position. Basically, think about which pickup position you use most often on dual-humbucker guitars, and put it in that position.

quote:

What's the deal with the Muse guy's guitar? You know what I mean, the one with the MIDI controller screen.

I believe on that guitar he has the GHOST module with Hexpander output, plus lots of other crazy electronics (I think I've heard of one guitar he has a theremin built into, and that might be it). I'm not a big muse fan, so I'm no buff on his gear.

DMCrimson
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

Stux posted:

Ooh, how is it? I'm going to be buying one of the Agile 8s when they enter their second run and I'm interested in how the other Agile extended range guitars are.

I've been able to play the guitar for a bit so I can give an actual reply to this post. It's like a luxury-brand Schecter Blackjack, the Lexus to the Toyota if the Lexus cost about the same amount of money. The neck is slightly thinner (still nowhere near Ibanez territory), the heel is less pronounced, and there's a ton of other little things that make this feel like I should've paid a Gibson-esq price for this. The maple fretboard is honestly the best looking fretboard I've ever seen. As said in my original post, the pick-ups were replaced with a set from a JP7 so I can't say anything about what this guitar sounded like stock. As is however, It's a very hot guitar and I might get the neck PU replaced with something that cleans up better. The D-sonic in the bridge however, sounds amazing.

Now the bad: the action is kinda high. Combined with the string tension of a 27 inch scale, this makes it more difficult than necessary to play open chords or a fast line on the lower frets. I'm getting it set-up this weekend and replacing the strings with a lighter set, so hopefully that should cure this problem.

EDIT: Forgot to mention, the standard hardshell case that came with the guitar feels cheap and flimsy. I'm going to get it replaced in the near future.

DMCrimson fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Aug 15, 2008

Rifter17
Mar 12, 2004
123 Not It

Dragon Eye Morrison posted:

If by "GK guitar" you mean a guitar with the roland GK pickup, they're all rather lackluster regardless of the interface you use. The tracking isn't very responsive. If you want midi capability, get the GHOST saddle pickup system with the Hexpander output module. Of course, as far as I'm aware, this is only available for guitars that have a bridge which uses Strat-style saddles, so unless your project guitar will have this, it's not feasible.

Very possible! Graphtech makes many different types of saddles for many different types of guitars. Even for basses they make three saddle styles. Regardless the GK pickup isn't too shabby, but if you want something that's nicer and allows for faux-acoustic sounds, go for the piezos.

As for the GI-20...I don't know much about them. Although I've always heard that Axon makes the fastest tracking guys out there. So perhaps raise your budget $50 and nab one of these instead: http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/AX50/ . This unit also allows for some neat features that the Roland unit does not have. For instance it allows you to split the playing areas according to frets, strings, and picking area (yeah playing by the bridge to trigger something different than playing by the neck or middle).

Also aren't there humbuckers the size of single coils for guitar? Or are they just not to great when compared to full sized humbuckers? I'm from the bass world so I'm not too sure.

DMCrimson
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

Handen posted:

If you're interested in building one yourself, Here's a big overview from someone who installed a Kaoss Pad in a Les Paul. It's pretty much what previous people have said: it's a MIDI controller that let's Matt Bellamy control a couple parameters that make really cool Sci-Fi noises.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

Didn't remember to snap a picture of it after jamming on it for an hour earlier today, but I saw a HM-3 at a music shop and snatched it up. I paid more than I wanted to for it ($40 out the door when I could probably have got it for $30 or so somewhere else), but it's a great sounding pedal that's quirky and very much under the radar. I've got wood for high gain fuzz, and this is some sweet fuzz indeed. Turn the Color section "Low" knob up all the way, keep the "High" around noon-2o'clock, distortion at max and it's fat, hairy fuzz city. I've got the Mojo Fuzz, Cool Cat Fuzz, Fab Tone, and now the HM-3 (amount of gain in almost that order, too - the Fab Tone has monstrous gobs and gobs of gain, while the HM-3 is more typically "high gain" fuzz in sound). I really want to add the Earthquaker Devices Hoof Fuzz to that collection, then I'd probably pretty happy with my high gain fuzz armada.

Had to find a new picture, apparently Waffleimages can't read URLs from Flickr. Whoops.

I know I said I wasn't going to buy anymore pedals for awhile, but I lied, because I am a lying liar when it comes to staying on the wagon regarding guitar gear.

Thinking about picking up a Metal Master from some dude on HCFX for cheap, and maybe a Dyna-Drive too - two digital dirt pedals that I actually really like :q:

Agreed fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Aug 16, 2008

the wizards beard
Apr 15, 2007
Reppin

4 LIFE 4 REAL
You have a problem.

Livingston
Jun 28, 2007

the wizards beard posted:

You have a problem.

Agreed.

Livingston
Jun 28, 2007

^ Did you see that?! I am pretty hilarious. :c00lbert:

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

I can quit any time I like, you guys are the ones with "a problem!"

ForbiddenWonder
Feb 15, 2003

Your pedal board probably is around the size of my garage door.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

ForbiddenWonder posted:

Your pedal board probably is around the size of my garage door.

23, now.

I have enough patch cables and adapters to plug in about 11 at once, or 15 with the Cool Cats - since I got the pedalboard, I can just use one adapter for its 5 pedals and all the patches are with it. I really like the convenience of the Cool Cat board, because I've got it loaded with all the dirt pedals it's like a highly portable sonic palette that runs from one outlet and sets up without a hassle.

Truth be told, though, I'm building up a library for recording tones more than just looking for things that I will use all the time. My main tones come from the Damage Control pedals, with two other overdrives set up in front of them, whether the Danelectro TransOD or Wasabi OD, or the Bad Monkey, in any combination. I've been using the Wasabi OD-->Bad Monkey-->Liquid Blues-->Solid Metal as my number one sound, with the first three always on for shimmering cleans and fat overdrive, and the final one for fluid, amplike distortion. I like cheap stuff that's good, don't get me wrong,, but you get what you pay for with the Damage Control units :q:

Before I got the Bad Monkey, it was Wasabi OD into the Liquid Blues alone, but lowering each one's gain and adding the Bad Monkey to the mix (with its gain on zero) has really fattened up the tone and given it a lot of room to bloom when you hit the strings harder.

When I get a new pedal, I'll plug it in for a day or two to get a good feel for its sound and then it's back to the usual setup. I don't keep pedals that I don't feel like I'll use often enough to justify them, and though I do have a pretty substantial pedal collection, if I still had every pedal I've ever owned it would be a whole lot bigger.

I wouldn't dream of going out on a gig with 23 pedals in tow. That's ludicrous unless you're John Petrucci or someone else with the high-end switching hardware to make sense of that much gear, and the song variety to require it. It's all tools for the studio for me. My live rig is a tuner, the damage control pedals (one of which is always on), two overdrives (that are always on), my reverb, my delay, a chorus, and a wah. A lot more than just Guitar->Cable->Amp, but not more than a lot of other pedal users.

Agreed fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Aug 16, 2008

Evil the Cat
Oct 18, 2001

make that shit sound like rock music!
You're probably pretty good at tapdancing too by now

schizorage
Dec 26, 2005
I just won/bought a Teaser Stallion and a Semaphore Tremolo on ebay... will post pictures when I receive them, alongside my pedalboard. I'm thinking:

EX-7 > Semaphore > Teaser Stallion > Jekyll and Hyde > Little Big Muff > H20 Chorus/Echo > MicroPOG > MXR Carbon Copy.

Let the noise begin. I will edit this post with photos as soon as I'm done. The Semaphore will be replacing my EHX Worm.

Zakalwe
May 12, 2002

Wanted For:
  • Terrorism
  • Kidnapping
  • Poor Taste
Agreed send me some guitar gear. Whatever you find underneath the sofa cushions will be fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlossMan
Oct 19, 2005

No, I can't. Too much hair.

Zakalwe posted:

Agreed send me some guitar gear. Whatever you find underneath the sofa cushions will be fine.

I'll take whatever you find under your car seats and in the cup holders.