Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Well, it finally happened. I gave up a goal that I can say "if my pads were twelve inches I would have saved that" :haw:

Moreover I played like poo poo tonight. Terrible. I shouldn't have been out on the ice. I started off okay and gave up a tough goal but pulled myself together. Halfway through this guy started picking me apart. He was an end-to-end deke and score type of player and my defense was basically pylons. I stopped him once or twice but he constantly adjusted to my technique. I tried to focus on how he scored each time and fix what I did, but as soon as I fixed one thing he exploited another. My defense basically gave up trying to chase him I think and this guy singlehandedly put seven past me in the span of five minutes. Needless to say my concentration went to poo poo.

The final score was ten to six. I can't even say I faced a ton of shots. I think there was maybe 30 total. Most of the action happened in the last 20 minutes :(

At least my D apologized after the game, but I wouldn't let them take the blame. I think they saw I was visibly upset though so they kind of let me be :v:

Edit: Also I think I tweaked my groin stretching for one of superman's cross-crease goals <:mad:>

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Jul 31, 2008

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crashlanding
Dec 11, 2006

Leading the offense for a fraction of the cost
Ok, since my left hand is pretty hosed up right now and won't get better until I quit playing hockey for like a month so I think I'm going to try to take up goaltending in my down time. I don't think catching would be as bad as shooting/trying to do things one handed like I do as a skater. Where should I go to get decent, cheap equipment? Would a play-it-again sports be the place to go or would online be the better option?

Tim Thomas
Feb 12, 2008
breakdancin the night away
depends what you want to do, really. what are you aiming to get out of playing the position? are you looking to stick with it and get better? are you more just doing it as a diversion?

in other news, i tried out for the AIHL swamp donkeys the other day and i think i made the team despite puking due to the 95 degree weather in the rink. eeeuuugh i forgot how awful roller hockey is for you

crashlanding
Dec 11, 2006

Tim Thomas posted:

depends what you want to do, really. what are you aiming to get out of playing the position? are you looking to stick with it and get better? are you more just doing it as a diversion?
Honestly, I'd love to be able to be a competent C+/B- adult rec league goalie. I've spent so much time over the last year calling seemingly every goalie on the North side of Chicago only to be turned down or not have my calls answered when we're short a goalie that I'd love to just be able to say "I'll play goal tonight" and not have everyone groan like it's going to be a long night.

I've played twice already and while I don't think I was horrible, I certainly let up three or four mind bogglingly soft goals and that just made me want to get better.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

How much are you looking to invest in equipment? 'Cheap' is a very vague term. I'd say you will be incredibly lucky to get out with a good set for under 1k. It can be done if you're not picky, but it'll be hard.

I'd pretty much stay away from PIA sports. I mean, go check them out for sure, but chances are that they'll just have some 20 year old deer-hair pads and a selection of children's equipment.

Your best bet is to get used pro equipment online somewhere like eBay or GSBB (in OP). You will get pro quality pads at a fraction of the price. Pro pads typically hold up very well and if you get a good set the most you might need to do is sew a broken stitch or two, or patch some worn out leather.

If you don't like what the used market has to offer, there are a lot of good sr. level pads that sacrifice quality a little but offer a better price point. Vaughn's 7400s, RBK's 8Ks, Itech's [whatever] (I don't know anything about Itech). They'll usually run you anywhere between 500-700 new, and even cheaper if you can buy them used. They'll probably not hold up to a beating as well as the pro pads (My brand new 8Ks are showing some material fray), but cosmetics aside they should last you a good while if you're not playing every night.

That's just the pads mind you. Gloves and all that will be more. You'll definitely have an easier time assembling a kit if you're not picky on brands and colour schemes.

Craigslist might be a good option too.

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

So Habibi posted this in another thread, I figured it would get facetime here:

Looks like this hasn't been posted yet, and I thought it was interesting for a number of reasons: http://www.boston.com/sports/hockey...lies/?page=full

Some snippets:

quote:

The result? Knee pads and clavicle protectors will be trimmed for the 2008-09 season.
The group concluded that the knee pad could be limited to 2 1/2 inches in length without compromising goalie safety. With less blocking area low, skaters have a better chance of scoring five-hole.
Meanwhile, torso protection will be contoured. The clavicle protector, previously allowed to be 7 inches long, will become smaller, although Healy didn't have exact dimensions of the new piece. All goalies have been apprised of the changes and equipment manufacturers are making the alterations so netminders will have their new gear for training camp in September.

And the article then went into the new skate-blade technology they've been testing and will be incorporating:

quote:

The reduction of the Michelin men won't be the only advantage for shooters in 2008-09. In the next few weeks, more than 100 NHLers will test the Thermablade Elite II, the heated blades that were introduced in February to a 10-player group. Four Bruins are taking part in the trial run. Marc Savard, who had expressed interest in the system previously, is expected to be one of them.

According to Sam McCoubrey, Thermablade's vice president of sales and marketing, the new model features more robust electronics that will give players 75 minutes on a two-hour charge (the blade plugs into a standard electric outlet). The concept is that heated blades (approximately 41 degrees, powered by battery and a microprocessor in the skate's undercarriage) reduce friction and vibration between the skates and ice, giving players quicker starts, tighter turns, more speed out of turns, and greater efficiency that will lead to more energy late in games. Nashville forward Martin Erat, who wore the previous model last season, said he had better speed coming out of corners.

So uh, how are you guys not outraged yet?

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Yeah I am not happy about the new dimensions for each. I mean, the knee and loving collarbone are not two things you want to gently caress around with in terms of protection. Two and a half inches as the length of a knee pad? You'd better hope that doesn't actually move in the course of a game, which it will.

brosef deluxe
Feb 22, 2007

"See Joe, this is what winning a meaningful game feels like"
Roller hockey goalies: recommend me a semi-cheap but good pair of goalie skates. I played pickup today at my local outdoor rink, but playing goal in someone else's foreward skates blows.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
Won our league, beating the first place team (who was 13-0-0 coming in).

5-2 win, 24 saves for me. I think it was the first time the aforementioned wicked good guy was held without a goal in league play (he had a pretty sick primary though).

Oh and hey PMA some d-man on my team played in the precursor to the roller league you're about to start in, he said he enjoyed it.

Tim Thomas
Feb 12, 2008

Koopa Kid posted:

So uh, how are you guys not outraged yet?
It's referring to the dimension on the knee wing, I think. Couldn't care less.

Brosef, go buy the Tour Redlines and grab some Crossbar wheels. $250 for the whole setup.

T-Bone, I am happy to hear that.

sba
Jul 9, 2001

bae
I miss playing 3 nights a week. :(

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I miss not sucking at being a goalie :smith:

nahanahs
Mar 26, 2003

<3 Shantastic <3

brosef deluxe posted:

Roller hockey goalies: recommend me a semi-cheap but good pair of goalie skates. I played pickup today at my local outdoor rink, but playing goal in someone else's foreward skates blows.

As far as goal skates go, you've got Tour and Bauer. You can look at both here:
http://www.inlinewarehouse.com/catpage-RGS.html
I have a wide foot, so the Tours were so uncomfortable as they only come in one width. I went with the Bauers. The Tours are also an unusually high boot, but that's all preference.
Funny thing about the Bauers, they're just an ice boot/cowling with the blade cut off and a chassis bolted on. The cool thing is that they fit just like their ice boots, so if you know what you wear, the inline will fit the same.

nahanahs fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Aug 11, 2008

Tim Thomas
Feb 12, 2008

Martytoof posted:

I miss not sucking at being a goalie :smith:

feel better; my game this week is against Tyler, Bellamy, and Billy Ryan who all graduated from UMaine. Their team is 13-0 and I think their goalie plays for some D3 school.

Hoooo boy.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Tim Thomas posted:

feel better

Well, to put things in perspective, have you ever had a really bad game? I mean one where literally every move you made was wrong? I've had two in a row now and it's really starting to eat me up. The last time I was on the ice the team would literally have been better off with a shooter-tutor :v:

Though good luck in any event :cool:

nahanahs
Mar 26, 2003

<3 Shantastic <3
Does anyone have any experience with RBK 8k pads with and without the Turco break? I found a pair of Turcos last night that I really liked, but they didn't have any in a color that wasn't Fleury-yellow or Montreal colors. I didn't try any of the non-Turco break pads on, though I should have.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.

sba posted:

I miss playing 3 nights a week. :(

Are you hurt or something? Or is the season just over?

sba
Jul 9, 2001

bae

soggybagel posted:

Are you hurt or something? Or is the season just over?

Summer, less leagues open.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

nahanahs posted:

Does anyone have any experience with RBK 8k pads with and without the Turco break? I found a pair of Turcos last night that I really liked, but they didn't have any in a color that wasn't Fleury-yellow or Montreal colors. I didn't try any of the non-Turco break pads on, though I should have.

I have a pair of regular 8Ks. They're really solid pads with the exception that they are starting to show a fair bit of early wear. I don't mean anything serious like rips or tears, but the fabric is starting to fuzz up in a lot of high-contact areas. If you do go with the 8Ks I suggest you either cut out the boot flap entirely or reinforce it like I did because it WILL be the first bit of your pad to wear through, probably within ten games. It is a useless flap but I don't like removing bits so I built a leather "sock" for it and now it seems to be holding up very well.

Mine actually hold an s-curve relatively well, but then again they were basically tied up like this for two months straight:

I can take photos or discuss any other areas of the pad you'd like to know more about.

nahanahs
Mar 26, 2003

<3 Shantastic <3

Martytoof posted:

I suggest you either cut out the boot flap entirely or reinforce it like I did

Requesting photos and more of an explanation of this. Anything else you don't like about them? How about some pictures of the wear you were talking about?

My main problem is that every pad I've ever owned has a pretty defined leg channel, so my leg feels like it's in the pad at some point. These 8ks feel like they're sitting on top of my leg, which, while not a terrible thing, was a VERY different feel.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I went from Vaughn Velocities which basically felt like they were hugging my legs on all sides, to my 8Ks which felt like planks of wood strapped to the front. It's a very different feeling to be sure, but if you're anything like me you will forget that you even switched pads about ten minutes into your first game. They feel very natural in-game despite all I felt off the ice. The 8K calf wrap isn't as flexible as the PS2 calf wrap so sometimes I kind of feel like it's not really "wrapping" my calf as it is "leaning against" my calf but that seems to have broken in once I started playing in earnest. Compared to my Velocities which didn't have a calf wrap so it's no big thing.

I'll grab some photos once I grab a shower and fish my digicam out of my bag.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Here's the landing gear block.

Outer flap. This rubs against my kneepad velcro so I guess this one has a legitimate reason to be worn down a little. I guess.

And the little useless boot flap. Cut it out or don't, but if you don't it WILL be showing foam quickly by all accounts. I put a little white electrical tape on the toe leather of the pad that touches the ice all the time. Every pad I've owned has been worn down in that area so this is a little insurance policy. Easier to repace some worn out tape at 90 cents a roll than to replace leather.

Also the stock 8K toe ties are terrible. Garbage. The Dukes guys tried to get me to buy an aftermarket toe tie when I bought my pad but I thought they were just trying to upsell poo poo on me. Turns out they were just trying to warn me :v: -- I replaced it with the toe ties from the Vaughns I owned and it's been peachy ever since. If you want me to quantify "garbage", I'll just say that it was the flimsiest toe tie I'd ever seen. No strength. The toe tie leather would bend before it would actually serve its purpose of righting your pad. You were probably better off without tying them.

Edit: Ok so all this wear and tear, I feel it's completely cosmetic. I don't get the sense that the fabric has been terribly compromised and will give out in a month or whatnot. Obviously it has been compromised a LITTLE since it IS fraying, but it still feels strong. I have the advantage of being good with a sewing awl so if something does tear I'll just cover it with leather and voila, another four or five year of use out of a junky part.

nahanahs
Mar 26, 2003

<3 Shantastic <3
Would you mind going into a little more detail on the toe tie business? My last two pads had the laces go through the end of the pad itself and before that, BUCKLES, so This is kind of new territory for me. Are you talking about the flap of leather that is bolted onto the pad that the laces go through?

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Yeah, that's what I'm referring to. It had too much give, the reinforcing foam was too flexible, and the leather was far too thin. I'm sure the stock tie isn't as bad (in action) as I make it out to be, but it really felt subpar. Luckily it was almost a perfect fit for the toe ties that came with my V1s (which I since learned were actually from Mission pads :haw: ), and a quick unscrew and replacement and I was back in business.

Any store that deals in reputable goalie stuff should be able to provide a suitable replacement.

nahanahs
Mar 26, 2003

<3 Shantastic <3
Excellent. Luckily, I live across the street from HOCKEY WORLD!, so advice on crap gear is never an issue.
Unfortunately, last night, the guy who helped me said he wasn't nearly the expert on goal equipment that a couple other people there are.

Edit: I tried a pair of Vaughn 7400s that I really liked, but apparently they only come in 36" (slightly too long. Knee would hit the low edge of the landing pad) and 34" (just too short) and don't come in 35" :(

nahanahs fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Aug 12, 2008

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Oh. The velcro that holds your knee in the landing cradle is probably going to be a little too stretchy (or too long, either one is bad), so like me you will probably find that until you figure out a good balance of leg strapping up top you might fall out of the cradle once or twice. I prefer my top buckles loose, but they do help keep my knee in the cradle so I've taken to tightening them a little more than I normally would. It hasn't really hindered my mobility or rotation but just took a little time to get used to.

I might actually have gone with a pair of 7400s, but they literally came out like a month after I bought my 8Ks. Anyway, now that I've tried the Lefevre style leg cradle I'm not sure I could go back to something that cradles my leg. Also I love the flat face :)

Polish
Jul 5, 2007

I touch myself at night
Any idea where I can get replacement leg straps for the RBK line? I have the RBK 6Ks.. but from the looks of Martys pics they seem to be the same strap. I always have this feeling they are just gonna snap when I am putting them on, only a few months old too..

My toe ties on the 6Ks seem to work fairly well, then again I don't know any better since these are the only pads I have ever worn.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

If you can't find anything locally, I know Duke's Sports in Toronto had them. I think the 6K/8K/PS2 straps all use the same mechanism thus are all interchangeable.

Tim Thomas
Feb 12, 2008
that might have been the most entertaining game i've ever played in.

half the squad was recent umaine alumni and, unsurprisingly, outskated, outshot, outhit, and outthought our team. fortunately, their goalie was pretty mediocre, and i decided that tonight was the time to be goalie jesus.

we're up 2-0 in the 2nd with the shots something like 23 to 7 when one of our guys loses the puck off a faceoff, lets their dude walk in and he picks six hole. 2-1. two minutes later, we take a dumb penalty and on the ensuing power play they put a puck high blocker side through traffic, 2-2. thirty seconds later, same loving guy loses the puck off a face off and lets him walk in to chip it high blocker (hey, pattern!). 3-2. at this point i've stopped around 30 or so shots, 4 of which were breakaways and another 5 of which were odd mans.

third period rolls around, our guy picks a corner with ten minutes left to tie it. there's about 60 people watching in the stands at this point. umaine dude gets hauled down with 6 left and gets a penalty shot, i stone him. umaine dudes come in on 3-0, stoned. umaine dudes try 3-0 backdoor, i gamble on the poke and come up big. needless to say, i'm feeling good. one of our guys scores (!) but it's waved off since the trail ref at the blue line said it never crossed the line, contradicting the lead ref ON THE loving GOAL LINE TWO FEET AWAY. ok, fine. one of their guys chips it up ice to two guys breaking who go offsides, offsides guy puts it in but it's waved off, still 3-3. a minute to go and we take an interference yet spring a guy on a breakaway with 10 seconds left who rings one off the post. defenseman picks it up with about two seconds left, and guns one down the ice at me.

it bounces five feet in front of me and kicks dead right, over my blocker top shelf. buzzer had rang but ref signals goal.

eeeeuuugh.

edit for illustration: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=meFICJYORvA

crusader donkey
Oct 10, 2007

Hungry For The Cup (But Settling For Nachos)
So I learned last week that if I'm moving side to side following a shooter and get tripped by an attacking player's skate as he's crossing the slot it is, in fact, a goal if they score and definitely not interference.

It's a 2-2 game, my 0-9 winless team against the 3rd place team, I'm playing my rear end off with 2 minutes to go in the second. This poo poo happens, I go down hard on my knee and completely gently caress it up. I tough it out, but my game goes to poo poo and I let in 4 or 5 goals that I would have stopped the way I was playing previously. We lose 8-2.

HeroOfTheRevolution
Apr 26, 2008

Martytoof posted:

Well, to put things in perspective, have you ever had a really bad game? I mean one where literally every move you made was wrong? I've had two in a row now and it's really starting to eat me up. The last time I was on the ice the team would literally have been better off with a shooter-tutor :v:

Though good luck in any event :cool:

I think that happens to all of us. It sucks, but then you have a great game and you forget all about it.

There was one game I played in Ireland, I had something like 113 saves (seriously, with 20 minute periods). The team we were playing against was paid in straight cash homey, while we were paid in water (sponsored by Ireland's biggest bottled water company). They had several ex-Swedish leaguers and the rest were mostly guys who played Major Juniors. The worst guy on their team had played D3. Our best guys played on the Irish national team, which I think my high school team would have run over.

Anyways, I made over 100 saves and we still lost 20-3, which was lovely as gently caress. I also had an assist and about 10 PIMs. European hockey sucks, they hand out penalties for the worst things, like clocking your opponent in the nose with a blocker.

nahanahs
Mar 26, 2003

<3 Shantastic <3
Oh hey what's this I got today?

Click here for the full 644x800 image.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

nahanahs posted:

Oh hey what's this I got today?

Click here for the full 644x800 image.

Welcome to the cool kids' lunch table :cool:

nahanahs
Mar 26, 2003

<3 Shantastic <3

Martytoof posted:

Thanks for the offer, but I'll be sitting over at the Turco Break table :haw:

sba
Jul 9, 2001

bae

Martytoof posted:

I think all the cool goalies here wear Itech.

Right PMA?

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Ladies and gentlemen, the Reebok P3 series;

nahanahs, I think we made it in under the "ugly" gun.

The gloves aren't terrible, but the pads look too busy, and the graphic Reebok logo looks out of place on the medial roll, moreso than the Rb/< ever did. "Reebok" in plain font just looks weird on the pad and gloves too.

crashlanding
Dec 11, 2006

Martytoof posted:

Ladies and gentlemen, the Reebok P3 series;
You forgot the skates.

Tim Thomas
Feb 12, 2008

sba posted:

I think all the cool goalies here wear Itech.

Right PMA?

I was unaware that I was a member of the cool goalie clan. I guess it was the Itechs that made me cool!

On a related note, I cracked 3 sticks in the past week at the mid shaft while shooting (?!? my technique must be piss poor). They were all old, but still, that means I need new sticks.

Anyone use the Itech Foamcores? I really have had it with paying $100/stick for 9990s or XXs and none of the usual suspects have had a blowout sale in a while.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

crashlanding posted:

You forgot the skates.

OK, I laughed :haw:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stellar_GoPens
Dec 19, 2005

I have a tough time finding the words to describe this moment.
Alright, since I can't find you in IRC anymore (I guess I could just IM you) I thought I would like to announce that I am joining the cult.

I'm ordering a few different lower level pads and going into training to become a goalie.

Thanks for the motivation marty :-p

• Locked thread