Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo
Rargh I'm frustrated. I finally bought my own XBOX and am trying to run the audio through my computer speakers. I bought an RCA to stereo-mini converter and am running that into the line-in jack on the of my computer. Only whoa nelly it's waaaay too loud. Even with the gain(?) turned all the way down to zero, and my speakers nearly off it's too loud.

I've spent about an hour Googling this, but I don't understand sound processing or ALSA well enough to know what I should be looking for. I hope someone can tell me what my options are to lower the volume.

For reference, I know my chipset keywords are "HDA Intel" and STAC9227. I know I have ALSA 1.0.15. I'm running Hardy. In the Gnome volume control applet, I have Input Source 1 set to Line. From there, I have to check the "analog loopback" switch option to get any volume at all. Then I can "control" the volume with Capture 1. What I mean by control is I can either have deafeningly loud, or so loud that it's basically static. The volume slider is only tolerable when it is at the bottom.

I've read lots of problems about people not having any microphone/line-in volume at all with this chipset, so I'm hoping I actually have that problem and ticking the "analog loopback" switch is a stupid idea that's masking the real issue. Or maybe there's a way to use amixer to map capture to something that can be controlled by the master volume control? Or hell, maybe I need to buy some kind of adapter to temper the power the XBOX is spitting out?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gorilla Salsa
Dec 4, 2007

Post Post Post.
Okay, so I installed Ubuntu a couple of weeks back, and I want to get it off because it's pretty useless and I had the partition take up half of my hard drive. I want that half back. How do I do that?

Chuu
Sep 11, 2004

Grimey Drawer
On my xUbuntu box every once in a while Firefox locks up hard. I use ps -e to get the pid, and try to kill it. Does nothing.

Ok, so instead, I try "sudo kill -9 pid". The console locks up hard before asking me my sudo password. Ctrl+C does nothing.

Why isn't that working, and what's the proper way to do this?

waffle iron
Jan 16, 2004
You can try to use xkill or equivalent to force the X server to stop accepting output from that process. That might get Firefox to start exiting. Otherwise it sounds like you might have a browser plugin run amok, Flash maybe?

Purple Haze PS3
Jul 21, 2007
Does anyone know of a practical way of getting the packages in build-essential onto a machine without an internet connection? My friend bought an eee 1000 and it didn't recognize either of his NICs. We ended up using a custom kernel made for the eee. Still, it would be nice to know if there was a way around manually getting the packages and their dependencies.

Antimony
Oct 29, 2006

I'm running an Ubuntu 8.04 server as a VMware host to 3 Windows Server machines. It's running on an AMD Athlon XP 2500+ with 2.5GB RAM. Straight after installation the load average hovered around 0.3 - 0.4, but now I've done an apt-get dist-upgrade to keep the box up to date, and upgraded to the latest kernel (2.6.24-19) and recompiled VMware for the updated kernel.

Now, however, the hard drive activity light for the VM drives is on for a few seconds, every ~10 seconds and the load has shot up to 1 - 1.5 when the network is idle. I've messed with /proc/sys/vm settings, with dirty_ratio at 80 (it was 100 before the upgrade) and dirty_background_ratio at 5 (same as before). I tweaked the system to get the load average as low as I could before the upgrade, following tips from this post on the VMware forums.

Short of going back to the old kernel and recompiling VMware again, is there anything I can try to get this problem to go away? The virtual machines seem less responsive now when using RDP, but they may just be me. I'm using XFS for the VM drives, with noatime set, on an mdadm RAID1 array using the anticipatory scheduler.

shelleycat
Jul 24, 2004

Gorilla Salsa posted:

Okay, so I installed Ubuntu a couple of weeks back, and I want to get it off because it's pretty useless and I had the partition take up half of my hard drive. I want that half back. How do I do that?

Lots of information there. Thanks.

I would download "System Rescue CD", backup the Windows data, then use the System Rescue CD to resize the Windows Partition. It should do a checkdsk on next boot. Then recover the bootloader using the Windows CD, and the commands to restore the original bootsector; thats something like fixmbr or fixboot.

Alternatively you might be using Vista, in which case I don't know anything about the bootloader except that it changed.

If you can boot off the Ubuntu Live CD, you can use ntfstools to resize the partition, but I am not sure whether they are present by default.

Deadpan Science
Sep 6, 2005

by angerbeet
This is a horrible question, but I've read through these HowTos for absolute newbies on installing programs. I can easily install things using apt-get or any of the gui installers. My problem, however, is the reason I installed linux in the first place.

I would like to use Rosetta++, which is a computation modeling program for 3d protein structure predictions. This program is famous because it is what your Folding@home cpu cycles are being used for. Unfortunately for me, only the creators of folding@home can use your computers for this kind of thing, which means my quad core desktop in my apartment is going to be crunching these numbers for me (hopefully).

I haven't really ever used linux before, and while I was able to download all of my .tar.gz files, I'm running into a lot of problems with (I think) permissions.

Where do you guys normally extract things when you're going to install them?

Also, I got this error with one of my other sciency programs I'm trying to install

quote:

*** Warning: Errors occurred during the installation.

In order to use the new software, users must first execute
an initialization script, for instance by adding the
following command to their .cshrc file:

if (-e /home/tim/programs/nmrpipinstall/com/nmrInit.linux9.com) then
source /home/tim/programs/nmrpipinstall/com/nmrInit.linux9.com
endif

Where is my .cshrc file?

EDIT: I just typed source /home/tim/programs/nmrpipinstall/com/nmrInit.linux9.com and now the program works, but that seems pretty annoying to have to do every time.

Deadpan Science fucked around with this message at 08:25 on Aug 17, 2008

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

Deadpan Science posted:

I haven't really ever used linux before, and while I was able to download all of my .tar.gz files, I'm running into a lot of problems with (I think) permissions.

Where do you guys normally extract things when you're going to install them?

Also, I got this error with one of my other sciency programs I'm trying to install

Where is my .cshrc file?

EDIT: I just typed source /home/tim/programs/nmrpipinstall/com/nmrInit.linux9.com and now the program works, but that seems pretty annoying to have to do every time.
Normally you would unpack the files in your home directory, like you have done here, do any steps required for compiling it, then run something like 'sudo make install' to copy the compiled files to correct places. Check any README or INSTALL files for instruction for this particular software.

Instead of .cshrc you should probably use .bashrc, since Bash is the most commonly used shell on Linux.

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

I sell only quality merkins. What is a merkin you ask? Why, it's a wig for your genitals!
My current partitions:
code:
  Device Boot      Start         End      Blocks   Id  System
/dev/sda1   *          63    65529134    32764536    7  HPFS/NTFS
/dev/sda2        65529135   312560639   123515752+   f  W95 Ext'd (LBA)
/dev/sda5        65529198   312560639   123515721    7  HPFS/NTFS

/dev/sdb1              63   163846934    81923436    7  HPFS/NTFS
/dev/sdb2       163846935   316191329    76172197+  83  Linux
/dev/sdb3       316191330   320159384     1984027+  82  Linux swap / Solaris
I'd like to just replace the Master (sda) with Ubuntu, having a seperate partition for Home. The Home partition I'd like to contain everything from my existing home as well as the contents of sda5 (or sdb1 they are the same files). I don't really care about sda1. In the end I also don't care about the Slave (sdb) Drive, since everything will be on the Master.

I'm guessing I could just pop in the install CD and format the Master Drive. However, what would happen to GRUB? Would it try and let me boot both drives? Would I be able to mount the slave drive to transfer /home on sdb2 and the files on sdb1? Can I even just copy /home from one to another or does Linux not work that way?

The Merkinman fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Aug 17, 2008

The Remote Viewer
Jul 9, 2001
What's SSH good for? I can't think of too many times I've wanted remote command-line access to my home PC. I know you can run some X apps, but can you do a full desktop?

dont skimp on the shrimp
Apr 23, 2008

:coffee:

The Remote Viewer posted:

What's SSH good for? I can't think of too many times I've wanted remote command-line access to my home PC. I know you can run some X apps, but can you do a full desktop?
Yes, I think you can. The easiest is probably by VNC though. However, let me just say that SSH is incredibly useful, but that's for you to discover. I usually run a RSS-feeder over it, and irssi in a screen.

waffle iron
Jan 16, 2004

You could invoke a desktop environment like know by running gnome-session and it would load the full gnome complete with panels, although that seems like overkill in most situations.

Hell you can even edit SSHD config files, restart the SSHD service and your current session shouldn't be stopped.

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat

SSH is great for tunneling traffic. There is more to it than just being a shell.

Prince John
Jun 20, 2006

Oh, poppycock! Female bandits?

rugbert posted:

Because I didnt know how to do that :/ but for some reason after I lost my wireless and wired up I soon there after lost my ability to use ethernet too (my eth0 got named forcedeth and wouldnt activate).

I just grubbed to my old kernel till I figure out how to fix this stuff.

If you could tell us your distribution, that would be extremely helpful :)

If you're using Ubuntu, go to System -> Restricted Drivers / Hardware (I forget) Manager and check the box next to your nvidia card. If your wireless card is also failing after upgrading the kernel, that suggests it's also using a restricted driver that isn't updated for the new kernel and you may find a checkbox for it in there also.

Installing the ubuntu-restricted-drivers package should automatically pull down updated drivers for your graphics card (and maybe wireless) for the new kernel version. (This meta-package will automatically install the linux-restricted-modules-2.6.xxx.xxx package to match any new kernel versions that you upgrade to in future)

Prince John fucked around with this message at 10:39 on Aug 18, 2008

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

gt chizmack posted:

SSH is great for tunneling traffic. There is more to it than just being a shell.
This. I use ssh's SOCKS proxy functionality to veer around our company's http port block.

trilljester
Dec 7, 2004

The People's Tight End.
I just installed Kubuntu 8.04 on my laptop, and I'm getting it all setup. It's running great, but I've had it SEGSEV on my every time I try to change the Window Decorations. I have to end up rebooting the machine because I have no titlebars. After reboot, the changed window decorations show up fine. Anyone else have this issue?

Also, what's the consensus here about KDE4? I've heard good and bad things about it. Mainly that 4.1.0 is not fully ready for use.

Alowishus
Jan 8, 2002

My name is Mud

trilljester posted:

Also, what's the consensus here about KDE4? I've heard good and bad things about it. Mainly that 4.1.0 is not fully ready for use.
No, seems more like 4.0 was not fully ready but 4.1 polished it up significantly. Here's the Ars review, decide for yourself.

trilljester
Dec 7, 2004

The People's Tight End.

Alowishus posted:

No, seems more like 4.0 was not fully ready but 4.1 polished it up significantly. Here's the Ars review, decide for yourself.

Interesting. I'm tempted to give it a shot. I'm wondering if installing it along side 3.5 will screw up either one. Time to do some extensive research. :-) I'm enjoying running my laptop on something other than Windows though.

rugbert
Mar 26, 2003
yea, fuck you

Col posted:

If you could tell us your distribution, that would be extremely helpful :)

If you're using Ubuntu, go to System -> Restricted Drivers / Hardware (I forget) Manager and check the box next to your nvidia card. If your wireless card is also failing after upgrading the kernel, that suggests it's also using a restricted driver that isn't updated for the new kernel and you may find a checkbox for it in there also.

Installing the ubuntu-restricted-drivers package should automatically pull down updated drivers for your graphics card (and maybe wireless) for the new kernel version. (This meta-package will automatically install the linux-restricted-modules-2.6.xxx.xxx package to match any new kernel versions that you upgrade to in future)

well...I guess I could do that... Im using Fedora 8. I know FC9 has something called akmods which automatically recompiles those packages when I update the kernel.

dont skimp on the shrimp
Apr 23, 2008

trilljester posted:

I just installed Kubuntu 8.04 on my laptop, and I'm getting it all setup. It's running great, but I've had it SEGSEV on my every time I try to change the Window Decorations. I have to end up rebooting the machine because I have no titlebars. After reboot, the changed window decorations show up fine. Anyone else have this issue?

I gave it a shot recently, and I very much prefer it over 3.5. It's got lots of eyecandy, never crashed (Though, this computer isn't on 24 hours/day), and wasn't missing too much. However, it was too slow for me, so I switched away from it. You should give it a shot.

trilljester
Dec 7, 2004

The People's Tight End.

Zom Aur posted:

I gave it a shot recently, and I very much prefer it over 3.5. It's got lots of eyecandy, never crashed (Though, this computer isn't on 24 hours/day), and wasn't missing too much. However, it was too slow for me, so I switched away from it. You should give it a shot.

I'm going to follow these instructions from Kubuntu's home:

Kubuntu.org posted:

The updated packages for Kubuntu 8.04 are located in the Kubuntu Member's KDE 4 Personal Package Archive (PPA) repositories. To update to KDE 4.1, please follow these instructions:

Add deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/kubuntu-members-kde4/ubuntu hardy main to your /etc/apt/sources.list.
If you already have the kubuntu-kde4-desktop packages installed, simply type sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade and answer the questions in which you are prompted. If you do not have kubuntu-kde4-desktop installed, simply type sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install kubuntu-kde4-desktop and answer the questions. Both of these options are to be typed at the command prompt.
kdeplasma-addons contains new Plasma fun

That look good to everyone? :)

Prince John
Jun 20, 2006

Oh, poppycock! Female bandits?

trilljester posted:

I'm going to follow these instructions from Kubuntu's home:

That look good to everyone? :)

Yes, I did this with no issues. I found KDE4.1 so slick and promising some of the time but then so ugly a moment later as you (for example) open the Kmenu - a real mixed experience.

If you manipulate files on your desktop frequently then you are in for a bit of a shock and this probably isn't the desktop envionment for you. There is a 'folder view' widget you can use to partially recreate that functionality, but I found it quite irritating as I couldn't resize it. Well, what do you know, that Ars review seems to show them being resizable now, so ignore that.

Prince John fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Aug 20, 2008

trilljester
Dec 7, 2004

The People's Tight End.

Col posted:

Yes, I did this with no issues. I found KDE4.1 so slick and promising some of the time but then so ugly a moment later as you (for example) open the Kmenu - a real mixed experience.

If you manipulate files on your desktop frequently then you are in for a bit of a shock and this probably isn't the desktop envionment for you. There is a 'folder view' widget you can use to partially recreate that functionality, but I found it quite irritating as I couldn't resize it. Well, what do you know, that Ars review seems to show them being resizable now, so ignore that.

OK, so I did the upgrade this morning and everything seems to be working. Yes, the launcher menu is way goofy. I found that they included the legacy one which is more traditional. I would love a KDE 4 compatible version of a launcher like OS X's. Anyone know of one?

Annoyances:
- Dolphin is awesome for the most part but I'm copying music files from my Windows machine to put into AmaroK, and KDE's default music player (notatrun? something like that) keeps popping up when I highlight a file on the Windows box. Can I turn that off?

I don't like icons on my Desktop, so I have no issues if that Folder View thing isn't resizable. I got rid of it immediately.

dont skimp on the shrimp
Apr 23, 2008

trilljester posted:

OK, so I did the upgrade this morning and everything seems to be working. Yes, the launcher menu is way goofy. I found that they included the legacy one which is more traditional. I would love a KDE 4 compatible version of a launcher like OS X's. Anyone know of one?

Annoyances:
- Dolphin is awesome for the most part but I'm copying music files from my Windows machine to put into AmaroK, and KDE's default music player (notatrun? something like that) keeps popping up when I highlight a file on the Windows box. Can I turn that off?

I don't like icons on my Desktop, so I have no issues if that Folder View thing isn't resizable. I got rid of it immediately.
You mean the mac dock? Well, you could always try avant window navigator, that one seems quite popular. Else, if you don't use compositing, you could give wbar a shot. You could also try XQDE, but I never got it to work when I was going to try it.

I think you can turn off the issue you're having with noautun from the KDE control center.

Mr. Eric Praline
Aug 13, 2004
I didn't like the others, they were all too flat.

Combat Pretzel posted:

This. I use ssh's SOCKS proxy functionality to veer around our company's http port block.
Reverse tunnels are also lots of fun. SSH to your home, and leave the session open when you leave. The reverse tunnel gives you a path back to your work PC, and you can use it like a VPN with a little tunneling creativity.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

I've recently been learning bash but I have a problem with a newline being inserted, for example:

Call went over 1-12-1-1
in Seattle, GSX 04

It should really look like this:

Call went over 1-12-1-1 in Seattle, GSX 04

The problem is, it does look like the second one when run on Ubuntu 8.04 and Slackware 12.0, but looks like the first one on Mac OS X 10.5.4 and FreeBSD 7.0. Now I guess the most obvious explanation is that BSD isn't Linux, but I would assume since it is a bash script it should be the same regardless of the platform it run on. It also works on Cygwin. The only other thing I can think of is the bash version, but FreeBSD and Ubuntu are both using 3.2.39(1) and get different results.

Here is the script: http://tokyolaibach.com/gett1.txt

I apologize in advance if that is unreadable, I'm new at this.

Here is an example CDR I've been working with:

http://tokyolaibach.com/cdr

Any ideas?

edit: fixed table breaking

complex
Sep 16, 2003

Does that example CDR correlate to your output of "Call went over 1-12-1-1 in Seattle, GSX 04"? If not, what should the output of that CDR be?

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

complex posted:

Does that example CDR correlate to your output of "Call went over 1-12-1-1 in Seattle, GSX 04"? If not, what should the output of that CDR be?
It does. The field I'm looking for is in a different location depending on the type of CDR and the direction of the call. The first step looks at START (the first field) and then calls the "startcdr" function. It then takes 1:12:1:23:0:0x00000000:0x00000000 out of the CDR, and cuts it down to just 1:12:1 (and stores it in $span). Towards the bottom there is t1=${span##*:}, so $t1 = 1. Since 1 is less then or equal to 28, it calls the "first_ds3" function, while will take $span (1:12:1) and turn it into 1:12-1-1, which is passed through sed to turn the : into a -. The newline is coming after this.

After I typed this I think I realize the problem. Slackware and Ubuntu are using GNU sed while FreeBSD and Mac OS X aren't, and apparently the BSD implimentation of sed is appending a newline. I changed the line from:

echo -n ${span%:*}-1-$t1 | sed -e 's#:#-#'

to:

echo -n ${span%:*}-1-$t1 | sed -e 's#:#-#' | tr -d '\n'

and now it works with out without gsed. it's a little ugly, but oh well! Thanks.

Toe Rag fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Aug 21, 2008

Narev
Oct 9, 2005

Something about FIR3 makes me wanna DANCE!
I have flirted with Linux for many years. I'd like to switch over, but I always seem to run into some insurmountable problem and end up back with Windows XP (Windows is like that drunken abusive spouse you keep going back to). I have a copy of Suse 10.0 in the box, and I ran that okay for a while except I was unable to get my video drivers to work, so no games. I have several books dealing specifically with Suse so I don't know if I want to give it up, but I'm sure that equivalent info is on the net.

An awful lot of you seem to use Ubuntu, and I'd be willing to give it a shot. Can someone point me to resources to get me going with it? Ideally I'd like to be able to run WoW and Diablo 2 at a bare minimum.

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Narev posted:

XP...Suse...Ubuntu

Most graphics cards have 3D acceleration right from the start on Ubuntu. They're not shy about including some closed-source drivers if it makes things work better.

check http://appdb.winehq.org/ to see if Diablo 2 works with Wine. I'm pretty sure that WoW works great.

Also, check http://www.winehq.org/site/download-deb for instructions on having Wine automatically at the latest version.

Have fun! It's worked very well for me, but you'll need extra computing power in the CPU and RAM departments to keep up with playing games on Wine.

Exmond
May 31, 2007

Writing is fun!
Err new to this part of the forum, can you asks question about specific Linux programs, like Apache?

Now I dont know if it is possible but recently I have been having an issue where Apache is running fine, but is waiting for a gigantic mysql process to finish before loading a website.

As I work in techsupport I thought it would be cool if there was a program that monitor apache and tells me if it is processing stuff, or if it is waiting for a query to finish.

Are there any tools like that that work for the RedHat EL 4 distribution?

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

Does Linux offer any application similar to Schoolhouse for OSX? Basically, it's an app for college students that lets you create semesters, classes and then track assignments, grades and notes inside of it. Something combined to organize a class in.

There are a few websites that do this, but I'd prefer to have a local app if it's at all possible. Bonus points of course for any that upload it to a webapp.

Also, while I'm here, does anyone know anything about syncing S60 Nokia devices with Thunderbird/Sunbird? Everything I see on the topic requires using some 3rd party server which is incredibly difficult - I just want to bluetooth or USB sync with my phones for contacts/events.

complex
Sep 16, 2003

Never used it myself but Basket appears to be the Unix-equivalent.

Schoolhouse is sweet, though. Anything will have a hard time matching the features and slickness of Schoohouse.

Narev
Oct 9, 2005

Something about FIR3 makes me wanna DANCE!
Well, I got nothing better to do, so I'm gonna take the plunge and download Ubuntu, see if I like it any better than Suse. I'd like to hear any and all tips on must-have apps, online resources for educating myself, etc. Here's hoping to post from Linux in a few hours!

Edit: Just got Ubuntu installed, it even went so far as to copy over my windows background, toolbar quicklinks, and Firefox bookmarks! When I think about my first encounter with Linux, it must have been in 1997 and it was Redhat; comparing that to this ubuntu is like comparing a bottle rocket to the space shuttle! Seriously, guys, all you need is a blank CD, a few free gigs on your HD, and a couple hours. What do you have to lose?

Check out #ubuntu on irc.freenode.net

Narev fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Aug 22, 2008

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

complex posted:

Never used it myself but Basket appears to be the Unix-equivalent.

Schoolhouse is sweet, though. Anything will have a hard time matching the features and slickness of Schoohouse.

Very nice, I'll probably give this an install when I get home.

Got a question about all of this GTK/QT crap: I'm running Ubuntu w/ the Gnome DE. How much does running KDE apps hurt me, resource-wise? And is it kinda a thing where running one of them brings the entire KDE/QT thing in and extra apps don't have any extra performance hit (beside the default used by the app itself), or does each KDE app I load hurt me a bit more on resources?

Specifically, I love Konversation and I find I can't give it up for XChat, so I'm not averse to running KDE apps. The question is, would running more KDE/QT apps take up any extra resources?

After using Ubuntu w/ Netbook Remix for a week, I have to revise a lot of my opinions on Linux for the desktop. I might not pick it for my default yet (too much gaming) but it is definitely nice to have a machine around to play with where Linux does exactly what I want.

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat

Narev posted:

Well, I got nothing better to do, so I'm gonna take the plunge and download Ubuntu, see if I like it any better than Suse. I'd like to hear any and all tips on must-have apps, online resources for educating myself, etc. Here's hoping to post from Linux in a few hours!

I know this sounds cliche, but Google is your best bet. 99% of the time you will do a Google search for any issues you are having, and it will hit a ubuntuforums.org post with the answer.

Honestly though, Ubuntu is so easy to use it's not funny. They really seem to have put together a very good distro that is extremely user friendly.

covener
Jan 10, 2004

You know, for kids!

Casao posted:

Specifically, I love Konversation and I find I can't give it up for XChat, so I'm not averse to running KDE apps. The question is, would running more KDE/QT apps take up any extra resources?

Only the first 1 or 2 significant KDE apps should cause more memory to be consumed, but it doesn't get any worse beyond that. This is because the shared libraries that make up kde applications only consume real memory once per lib not once per application.

joe944
Jan 31, 2004

What does not destroy me makes me stronger.
What distribution might you recommend for someone with a goal of learning Unix, specifically networking. Attempting to get a job working for a large company that specializes in networking and routing, and my lack of Unix knowledge is in the way, so I'm looking to teach myself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dont skimp on the shrimp
Apr 23, 2008

joe944 posted:

What distribution might you recommend for someone with a goal of learning Unix, specifically networking. Attempting to get a job working for a large company that specializes in networking and routing, and my lack of Unix knowledge is in the way, so I'm looking to teach myself.
Personally, I'd say Arch or Gentoo, that's where I learned the most. They could be very difficult for a total beginner though, so take care and ask people about it beforehand.

Also, do note that certain distros shift where configs are stored, where initscripts are stored and all that.