Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Eunabomber
Dec 30, 2002

Hillbilly Pharoh posted:

That looks like a different story you quoted? :confused:

Yeah, people try to "re-do" the stunt occasionally.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Pantheon
Apr 25, 2008

Mmm.

Malachi Constant posted:

On the "Summer Movies 3" Film Vault Bryan goes through the famous Loveline episode where the show doesn't start for about twenty minutes due to a drunken Anderson. Bryan was there that night and explains what happened. He went through the whole show and made a clip of every drunken on-air ramble from Anderson and plays them back for him.

It's hilarious, Anderson keeps asking Bryan where he got the audio, and making excuses. I guess Anderson isn't aware of the Loveline archive.

Here's the original Loveline episode in full: http://shows.lovelinearchive.com/Loveline%20-%202004-12-16%20(Guest%20-%20Papa%20Roach).mp3

The Film Vault episode is on this page: http://www.971freefm.com/pages/2480998.php It's "Summer Movies 3", should be at the top of the page right now.
That's brilliant. I loved Bryan & Anderson giving us like a "Behind The Scenes" to one of 2004's classic loveline moments.

Also i don't know if he's joking but.. I think you can tell Anderson really hates Engineer Michelle. I do too. I found her to be a fake, kiss-rear end. I loved Engineer Chris because he was himself, lil funny Chris. But Michelle was like.. already working some shtick when around Adam and blegh. Has Anderson or Bryan ever talked about whats up with them and Michelle?

Also what's Michelle doing now? I heard she worked with Adam on something else and poor Chris got left out in the cold :-(

Nemo
Feb 24, 2001

Uh! Double up Uh! Uh!
Chris left the show of his own accord to go work at a hospital or something.

Michelle left Loveline to engineer for TACS, but since she's not around now I assume she was let go.

Jubs
Jul 11, 2006

Boy, I think it's about time I tell you the difference between a man and a woman. A woman isn't a woman unless she's pretty. And a man isn't a man unless he's ugly.
I have found the answer everyone was asking.

Morrell twins

Those were the chicks that have the horrible laugh that became a drop.

They talk about it in this episode:

http://lovelinecentral.com/mp3/inde...0Swinton%29.mp3

At the 78:50 mark.

Dingus Egg
May 23, 2005

Legend has it the world was hatched from a dingus egg.
Holy poo poo, those new tape transfers just keep on giving!

Bamm Bamm
May 7, 2007

I'm not a playa, I just fuck a lot.

cassidy jones posted:

I think he was referring to the gag itself as being recycled.

Also, a humorous anecdote regarding the Papa Roach episode: I used to just love smoking a little herb then listening to an episode of loveline before falling asleep. I was really baked the night I listened to that show and it freaked me out so much I just stopped trying to listen to it because I had no idea what was going on. I fast forwarded a little bit, but still before they officially began and I was just like "gently caress it" and went to sleep.

Is that the one wherein they started playing the That 70's Show chicks episode? I first heard it at work, stone cold sober and it made me feel like I had smoked about 8 bongloads when all that poo poo was going on. Another one that fucks with me is one of the episodes from 2003 that Thrice was on. Drew shows up late because his appearance on Kimmel goes over in length (or something similar) and everything ends up being a hilarious trainwreck for the first half hour or so, as the band never actually gets comfortable.

Alexandr
Jan 27, 2001

by Tiny Fistpump

Nemo posted:

Chris left the show of his own accord to go work at a hospital or something.

Michelle left Loveline to engineer for TACS, but since she's not around now I assume she was let go.

She was the original engineer on TACS and was let go for not being up to snuff supposedly. I miss her, too, as I liked her on Loveline.

Rushmore
Jun 3, 2005

My name's Rushmore, and I'm the Biggest Idiot Ever!

What Fun posted:

I'm talking about the ones on the front page.

For example, the one currently at the top of the loveline central home page. That 404's. So does the one further down with Trey Parker and Matt Stone.

The link for the Trey and Matt episode on the front page that 404's is

http://www.lovelinecentral.com/mp3/New%20uploaded%20Tape%20TransfeLoveline%20-%201999-06-28%20
(Matt%20Stone%20and%20Trey%20Parker).mp3

and the one that works is

http://www.lovelinecentral.com/mp3/index.php?dir=New%20uploaded%20Tape%20Transfers%2097%2C98%2C99/&file=Loveline%20-%201999-06-28%20%28Matt%20Stone%20and%20Trey%20Parker%29.mp3

There's a couple like that.

Thanks for the heads up. The field for directory (New tape transfers 97,98,99/) wasn;t long enough. It's fixed now.

Graham Wellington
May 8, 2008

by Fragmaster
Great moment in gambling history on the '99 Kevin Nealon show:

Drew takes the bet that the caller's father left when she was a child.
Adam: Caller, where is your father?
Caller: He left.
Adam: When did he leave?
Caller: About 2 or 3 hours ago.

Love those callers.

metachronos
Sep 11, 2001

When I roll, baby I roll DEEP
I'm listening to the 11/15/2000 episode with David Alan Greir on the LA. Is he really puking or is he faking it?

Malachi Constant
Feb 2, 2006

I was a victim of a series of accidents, as are we all

metachronos posted:

I'm listening to the 11/15/2000 episode with David Alan Greir on the LA. Is he really puking or is he faking it?

Well, he does the puking thing every time he's on (which you'll hear later on). He still does it on the Adam Carolla morning show. Adam and Drew goad him into doing it every time he's on Loveline by purposefully talking about disgusting stuff.

It sounds real, which is why they make him do it, but it's fake. Anderson uses drops that mix his fake puking with a splash sound which makes it even better.

But, yeah, he's faking.

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Loveline Archives has the same DAG shows listed 2001 rather than 2000. At least from what I could hear in the first few minutes they seemed like the same. Any clue as to who is correct?

Ultimos
May 20, 2005

Desert Dwelling Scumbag

Malachi Constant posted:

But, yeah, he's faking.

I personally am convinced that there has to be SOMETHING coming out when he does that, it sounds so nasty.

TheKub
May 11, 2006

I skip all DAG content. I can't loving stand the guy.

EnsGDT
Nov 9, 2004

~boop boop beep motherfucker~

TheKub posted:

But...but he's our main man... :(

Bender
May 12, 2001

Fun Shoe

TheKub posted:

Much like Adam, he's great on the radio, and unbearable in all other media.

What Fun
Jul 21, 2007

~P*R*I*D*E~

Rushmore posted:

Thanks for the heads up. The field for directory (New tape transfers 97,98,99/) wasn;t long enough. It's fixed now.

Thank you. You're the real heroes.

Bender
May 12, 2001

Fun Shoe
Are there any worse shows than the ones with lovely psychics? Adam plays along, and Drew just says nothing. Why did they waste shows putting these people on the air?

Malachi Constant
Feb 2, 2006

I was a victim of a series of accidents, as are we all

Bender posted:

Are there any worse shows than the ones with lovely psychics? Adam plays along, and Drew just says nothing. Why did they waste shows putting these people on the air?

I think this is a weakness of Drew's. He still has psychics on his daytime show and is amazed by them.

Adam also recounted a story of being freaked out by a psychic during commercial breaks, but I think that's more a feature of being told he's being stalked by someone who may be violent rather than any pseudo-science stuff. He's more of an organic skeptic rather than someone who knows to ignore their lame predictions.

Drew's interest in psychics is one of the few things I dislike about him. He often rants about why the scientific method is the only useful test in medicine and dismisses stuff like homeopathy, then turns around and talks to quacks on Halloween.

I have to give him credit for being willing to listen to the other side, he talked to a stop-smoking guy recently who had some wacky ideas, and he refuted them, but kept listening and eventually credited the guy for providing real treatment even though he had odd ideas about why he was doing what he was doing.

bigbowlowrong
Dec 15, 2006

by Ozma

Malachi Constant posted:

I think this is a weakness of Drew's. He still has psychics on his daytime show and is amazed by them.

Adam also recounted a story of being freaked out by a psychic during commercial breaks, but I think that's more a feature of being told he's being stalked by someone who may be violent rather than any pseudo-science stuff. He's more of an organic skeptic rather than someone who knows to ignore their lame predictions.

Drew's interest in psychics is one of the few things I dislike about him. He often rants about why the scientific method is the only useful test in medicine and dismisses stuff like homeopathy, then turns around and talks to quacks on Halloween.

I have to give him credit for being willing to listen to the other side, he talked to a stop-smoking guy recently who had some wacky ideas, and he refuted them, but kept listening and eventually credited the guy for providing real treatment even though he had odd ideas about why he was doing what he was doing.
I doubt it's completely up to Drew or Adam who comes on their show all the time. The public at large is still interested in psychics and the paranormal for whatever reason (especially around Halloween), so the higher ups often preserve slots for them. Once the guest is there I guess there is very little point in being openly hostile and negative all the loving time, no one wants to hear that for 90 minutes and the guest wouldn't stick around.

So you may as well humor them and have a bit of fun with it right?

Also, I think the shows with the psychics are loving hilarious. You're letting your edgy angry internet atheist materialism get in the way of a laugh, and that's just sad.

bigbowlowrong fucked around with this message at 07:05 on Aug 16, 2008

Ultimos
May 20, 2005

Desert Dwelling Scumbag
I don't think I've ever heard a show (with Adam) that I didn't like.

Peppermate
Jul 2, 2007

by Ozma

Ultimos posted:

I don't think I've ever heard a show (with Adam) that I didn't like.

Adam just isn't good when he runs something, he needs someone like Drew or Jimmy to truly shine. That's why I can't get into TACS, there's no one to subtly keep him in check.

flatFat
Apr 30, 2006

k

Peppermate posted:

Adam just isn't good when he runs something, he needs someone like Drew or Jimmy to truly shine. That's why I can't get into TACS, there's no one to subtly keep him in check.

My feelings exactly. Evidenced perfectly on his short-lived TV show. Even Drew, who habitually relents to being a (self-admitted) doormat, would still keep Adam in check with his silent disapproval. Teresa seems to be unconditionally encouraging. I sort of feel like he might be funnier without a chick around all the time, too. Not that he does much to censor himself around anyone, but there is a slightly different dynamic there. Less talk of grosser subjects, perhaps? I'm not really sure what it is, there's just something missing from the morning show for me.

Peppermate
Jul 2, 2007

by Ozma
They took everything that was good in loveline and discarded it, frankly. The retard callers, the funny guests, the rear end in a top hat engineer, the list goes on and on.

Ultimos
May 20, 2005

Desert Dwelling Scumbag
I actually agree with you guys, I specifically mean I haven't heard a LOVELINE with Adam that I didn't like. I wasn't crazy about TACS when I listened to it off and on a year ago, but I've heard it's gotten better.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Ultimos posted:

I actually agree with you guys, I specifically mean I haven't heard a LOVELINE with Adam that I didn't like. I wasn't crazy about TACS when I listened to it off and on a year ago, but I've heard it's gotten better.

These days I think it's as good, if not better than Loveline. The first year was a little rough, it seemed like Adam didn't have much control. Then there was the Year of the Bonaduce, which got old very quickly. Now it's right on target.

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

Grand Fromage posted:

These days I think it's as good, if not better than Loveline. The first year was a little rough, it seemed like Adam didn't have much control. Then there was the Year of the Bonaduce, which got old very quickly. Now it's right on target.

Eh, I think most of us saying that we don't enjoy it wouldn't enjoy any "good radio" as Adam would call it.

I enjoy Loveline for the same reason I enjoyed The Ricky Gervais show on XFM. It is a little bit of a mess and even the hosts have contempt for the show. They just sit back and chat like old friends without worrying about "segments", "characters" or proper radio. Attempts at proper skits or segments are for the most part half-assed during these shows. They lose that feeling of everyone involved being completely unprepared.

I think that is the biggest shift between TACS and Loveline for me.

TheKub
May 11, 2006

There was a morning show I used to listen to that was "Jamie, Frosty and Frank". It was pretty good. Jamie was an absolutely crazy, narcissistic bitch and Frosty and Frank were her handlers. There was just enough crazy to be interesting while still having a good foil to keep grounded. Then they dumped Frosty and Frank for Bonadouche and it was just a non-stop, out-of-control, crazy train. I never really could get on the Bonaduce bandwagon and I think he has the opposite of the Midas touch.

toasterbum
Sep 15, 2005
"Carl, relax. It's ok. I'm a detective."
I am a big fan of the Carolla era of Loveline. I just started listen to Adam's morning show about 6 months ago (thank god for podcasts) and I have really taken a liking to it. There are those moments where Adam seems to get a bit out of control and Teresa and Bald Brian don't exactly have the balls to stand up to him which hinders the show at time. On the other hand, it gives Adam opportunities to do funny stuff such as his "made up movies" segment and whatnot.

Did anyone catch the recent episode where they had the guitarist from the Pretenders on and she was definitely not receptive to most of Adam's thoughts/comments. Probably a bit of a shock for him since he idolizes her so much and most of his guest have a tendency to laugh at every syllable he produces.

The Pantheon
Apr 25, 2008

Mmm.
Literally my only pet peeve of TACS is the fuckin' V/O artist.

I don't know what it is in me but he makes every announcement seem so .. cheesy and lame. Like he thinks people hearing his voice are going to think "this is the mother loving coolest person I have ever heard utter words."

Everything else is fine, like Brian - although at this point he is Adam's lapdog when it comes to opinions, I like Theresa (especially when D.A.G. is on..) and Adam is great as usual but yeah. :arghfist: V/O GUYYY

Eunabomber
Dec 30, 2002

TheKub posted:

There was a morning show I used to listen to that was "Jamie, Frosty and Frank". It was pretty good. Jamie was an absolutely crazy, narcissistic bitch and Frosty and Frank were her handlers. There was just enough crazy to be interesting while still having a good foil to keep grounded. Then they dumped Frosty and Frank for Bonadouche and it was just a non-stop, out-of-control, crazy train. I never really could get on the Bonaduce bandwagon and I think he has the opposite of the Midas touch.

Don't worry, it took a few years but eventually Jamie and Danny were at each others throats and she connived to have him fired. There is still a lawsuit pending about it I believe. Jamie White is practically the center node in a chart of hilarious LA radio drama.

TheKub
May 11, 2006

toasterbum posted:

I am a big fan of the Carolla era of Loveline. I just started listen to Adam's morning show about 6 months ago (thank god for podcasts) and I have really taken a liking to it. There are those moments where Adam seems to get a bit out of control and Teresa and Bald Brian don't exactly have the balls to stand up to him which hinders the show at time. On the other hand, it gives Adam opportunities to do funny stuff such as his "made up movies" segment and whatnot.

Did anyone catch the recent episode where they had the guitarist from the Pretenders on and she was definitely not receptive to most of Adam's thoughts/comments. Probably a bit of a shock for him since he idolizes her so much and most of his guest have a tendency to laugh at every syllable he produces.

Yeah, Chrissie Hynde. When Adam was talking about the "exception list" Chrissie was like "WTF, how can you do that to the person you love?". It seemed foreign to her and I kinda had an "OMG she's right, we're a corrupt nation" moment.

What was funny was, the next morning Adam said "She came around. I nailed her in the stairwell of the parking structure after the show." when a listener called in and called him on her receptiveness.

Alexandr
Jan 27, 2001

by Tiny Fistpump
Alright, to everybody who hates TACS, just listen through 2008-01-30, Adam deals with a news story called, "Are CraigsList Hookers Safe Anymore?" It's probably the funniest drat bit I've ever heard in my life. A few days later, he does a huge bit about a woman named China who, during a blackout phase after drinking a quart of high-proof rum in 90 minutes, microwaved her 1-month-old baby to death. Similarly amazing.

Alexandr
Jan 27, 2001

by Tiny Fistpump
01/31 of this year's TACS. EVERYONE needs to listen to this one. Punch in at about 1:45. First is Gay Disney Radio, then it kicks in to the loving woman named China. Absolutely loving hysterical.

dpspolice
Oct 25, 2007

TheKub posted:

I thought I was the only one. I really can't stand him. He's not funny.

toasterbum
Sep 15, 2005
"Carl, relax. It's ok. I'm a detective."

TheKub posted:

Yeah, Chrissie Hynde. When Adam was talking about the "exception list" Chrissie was like "WTF, how can you do that to the person you love?". It seemed foreign to her and I kinda had an "OMG she's right, we're a corrupt nation" moment.

What was funny was, the next morning Adam said "She came around. I nailed her in the stairwell of the parking structure after the show." when a listener called in and called him on her receptiveness.

That's the beauty of Carolla. He can stare right into the face of defeat and just pull something out like that.

Sumac
Sep 5, 2006

It doesn't matter now, come on get happy

dpspolice posted:

I thought I was the only one. I really can't stand him. He's not funny.

I'm glad other people hate him too. I honestly liked him even less than Stryker.

mfaley
Jul 30, 2005
Most rape is bad
What is different about Adam's voice in TACS? Is it deeper?

WDIIA
Jan 14, 2006

K-I-N-G, The AU City Don
I know you heard about me
And this mission I'm on
But not a R-A-T,
I'm just tryin to live on
Not in a penitentiary
I'd rather be rollin chrome
I like DAG in small doses, but he does run a little tiring for me. For me the beauty of Loveline starts with the callers; DAG shows feature far fewer callers and far less time actually talking about them. In short I think DAG can be pretty funny, but him on everynight would end up being pretty unbearable.

The DAG show where they spent the first 30 minutes talking about how his long-time girlfriend was cheating on him (I think that was it) had its moments but it was also rather uncomfortable, and I wanted them to move on with the show.

EDIT: I guess I feel the same way with the Lightning Round, it can produce some good humor but I easily empathize with Drew as he tries to slog through the last segment.

WDIIA fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Aug 18, 2008

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

caffeinefree
Aug 5, 2003

2010: Year of M&M

mfaley posted:

What is different about Adam's voice in TACS? Is it deeper?

It sounds like he's depressed and tired constantly; not to mention his fake laugh

"Heh heh ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

• Locked thread