Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VolumeOverTalent
Jan 27, 2006

Empty_Spaces posted:

I heard a song on my local rap/trance radio station the other day and have been wondering what it was. It was some kind of Irish sounding folk song (lots of accordion) remixed into a techno song. That's really about all I can give for details, I hope someone knows what I'm talking about because it sounded awesome.

Maybe 'Acid Folk' by Perplexer?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

Empty_Spaces posted:

I heard a song on my local rap/trance radio station the other day and have been wondering what it was. It was some kind of Irish sounding folk song (lots of accordion) remixed into a techno song. That's really about all I can give for details, I hope someone knows what I'm talking about because it sounded awesome.

Not Techno by any stretch of the imagination, but perhaps Samim - Heater?

That's the only recentish song I know with an accordion in it, sorry!

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

A few years ago there was a band that released a punkish cover of Marcy Playground's Sex and Candy as a single. Google has failed me in trying to find out the name of this band, does anybody know what I'm talking about?

LL_Ghoul_J
Oct 22, 2004

Get Heavy

Dacap posted:

A few years ago there was a band that released a punkish cover of Marcy Playground's Sex and Candy as a single. Google has failed me in trying to find out the name of this band, does anybody know what I'm talking about?

The band's name was Flip Nixon.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9HeMt0ZJDUQ

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

LL_Ghoul_J posted:

The band's name was Flip Nixon.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9HeMt0ZJDUQ

That was it, thanks.

edit: Wow, that was significantly more awful than I remembered.

Dacap fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Aug 14, 2008

Spider Crusoe
Jan 30, 2005

Today on the radio I heard a song the DJ didn't mention the name of. If you go here and put in 5:41 PM for Aug. 13, you'll be able to hear the song I mean.

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

HighwayStar posted:

Salt-N-Pepa - Push It

That's it! Thanks.

Empty_Spaces
Apr 11, 2005

VolumeOverTalent posted:

Maybe 'Acid Folk' by Perplexer?

Dell_Zincht posted:

Not Techno by any stretch of the imagination, but perhaps Samim - Heater?

That's the only recentish song I know with an accordion in it, sorry!

Neither, thanks though :(

Most of the song seemed to be this accordion or fiddle with a really heavy bass beat pulsing louder and quieter over it. (From what I remember)

Threatis
Sep 28, 2005

congrats on figuring out how to use a machine with 4 buttons

Empty_Spaces posted:

Most of the song seemed to be this accordion or fiddle with a really heavy bass beat pulsing louder and quieter over it. (From what I remember)

cotton eye joe by rednex?

Cavenagh
Oct 9, 2007

Grrrrrrrrr.

Empty_Spaces posted:

I'm sure I've heard a remix of Not A Crime by Gogol Bordello that might fit. Can't find it though.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

Empty_Spaces posted:

Just caught Steve Mac's hilariously bad "Paddy's Revenge" on MTV, it had leprechauns and poo poo.

Phthalogreen
Nov 17, 2007

Be Well My Friends

quote:

I remember hearing this song on the radio once or twice in summer '05. At least one of the guitar riffs had this basic rhythm (careful, the recording is loud and lovely). I wanna say either the band or song was Onyx-something-or-other, but I might just be crazy

summer '05? not '06?

Phthalogreen fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Apr 2, 2012

Baby Bowser
Jan 14, 2008

But Kamek, I wanna wide da gween donkey! MIIIIIINE!
http://z0r.de/?id=1403

^
DEAR GOD PLEASE HELP ME.

But seriously. It's just so drat GROOVY. I must have it.

EDIT: Oh my god I'm so sorry. It was the wrong link. I had the bad link copied already to paste to someone else, and forgot. My apologies.

Baby Bowser fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Aug 17, 2008

Julien Sorel
Jan 27, 2006

Voted Worst Marksman of 1830
nvm then!

Julien Sorel fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Aug 17, 2008

Farts Domino
May 8, 2004

Baby Bowser posted:

http://z0r.de/?id=134

^
DEAR GOD PLEASE HELP ME.

But seriously. It's just so drat GROOVY. I must have it.
this is a music forum

swagger like us
Oct 27, 2005

Don't mind me. We must protect rapists and misogynists from harm. If they're innocent they must not be named. Surely they'll never harm their sleeping, female patients. Watch me defend this in great detail. I am not a mens rights activist either.
What remixed version of "when I grow up" by Pussycat dolls is used in the new So You Think You can Dance Canada commercial? Its much quicker and dancier

this is the commercial Im talking about.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5nXKqViXyM4

Rivfader
Aug 1, 2006

Before One

Artem posted:

What remixed version of "when I grow up" by Pussycat dolls is used in the new So You Think You can Dance Canada commercial? Its much quicker and dancier

this is the commercial Im talking about.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5nXKqViXyM4

I believe that it's actually the original song (a.k.a. Main/Original Mix), but that they've simply pitched it so the tempo is a bit higher. All 8 remixes I have here are quite different from the song in that video.

The one that comes closest is the Digital Dog Club Remix, so that could be it as well.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
I am looking for a disco song.

There are violins in the song. They play it whimsically, kind of like the fiddler grasshopper in the old Disney Silly Symphonies cartoons.

And then once in a while there will be a chorus of girls who just yell out "Boogie!"

edit: nevermind, it was "Fly Robin Fly"

edit: er, no wait it was "Get Up And Boogie" by the same group (Silver Convention)

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Aug 18, 2008

omg! stop posting!
Sep 25, 2007

by Fragmaster
With text description, I will attempt to convey the style of the vocalist's voice. Forgive me for vagueness.

1. Female singer. Solo.
2. Her voice sounded like that lady chicken in the foghorn leghorn cartoons singing. The way her voice would go "uuuuup" and "doooowwwn". http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w57ibMFxywk&fmt=18 It should be immediately obvious who I'm talking about once you hear the woman in that clip speak. Imagine someone singing like that.
3. The song was quite generous with bass. It was prominent and melodic. I don't even remember the other instruments in the song, that's how prominent the bass was (at least on those speakers).
4. The chorus and verse were pretty different melodically/pitch wise. Drastic change.

The song is in definitely a popular song in the collective conscious, I'm just struggling to remember the words to this. 70s or 80s. I got no 60s or 90s vibes from it whatsoever.

Bitcoin Billionaire
Mar 10, 2007
Hard rock in the American style, but sung in Spanish, clearly by Spaniards?

Charleston Jew
Jul 31, 2005

oh my sloth!
I was listening to a song on the local alternative station here (the kind that plays stuff like RHCP, Linkin Park, Modest Mouse, the bigger "indie" artists, etc) and I heard a song that seemed like a normal alt. rock song, maybe it would earn the label of indie, but the only lyric I remember had something to do with 'little kids playing' or maybe 'hanging out', something along those lines. I'm not even totally sure about this though, but it's worth a shot.

ETPC
Jul 10, 2008

Wheel with it.
Okay, here's one.

It's a licensed song that was on the in-game radio in Vietcong (60's Vietnam FPS). I really liked it but all I have to go on is:

"Sun Sets Fine - Davis"

Wikipedia and Google turn up nothing :(. I can post the .OGG from the game if that helps.

The chorus was something like:

"I wanna hold you! All night long!
I wanna feel you! All night long!"

Dosen't help much though, does it?

Sorry if this is incredibly vague but I really want to find more stuff by these guys.

DevilsFoodPlutonium
Jun 27, 2008
I've been trying to find a song that was on a skittles commercial a few years ago in the US. In the ad skittles were raining from the sky and generally causing havoc all around, making cars crash and what have you. Meanwhile a bunch of happy skittle poppers were just walking through it all unscathed. The song is really laid back and a guy is singing about seeing angels and clouds up in the sky. There is a yahoo answers question that comes up on google that asks the exact same thing, but the question has been deleted. If anyone can help me figure this out it would solve a question that has been on my mind for years.

Jive One
Sep 11, 2001

ETPC posted:

Okay, here's one.

It's a licensed song that was on the in-game radio in Vietcong (60's Vietnam FPS). I really liked it but all I have to go on is:

"Sun Sets Fine - Davis"

Wikipedia and Google turn up nothing :(. I can post the .OGG from the game if that helps.

The chorus was something like:

"I wanna hold you! All night long!
I wanna feel you! All night long!"

Dosen't help much though, does it?

Sorry if this is incredibly vague but I really want to find more stuff by these guys.

I'm willing to bet the title you listed was miscredited and should actually be Waterloo Sunset by The Kinks. The lyric in the song goes "Waterloo sunsets fine" and the two chief songwriters are brothers with the last names of Davis, so it may be this. Waterloo sunset, however, lacks the lyrics you posted so you could be thinking of a different song.

Did you happen to see this site? I can recognize a few of the songs that are listed however I'm not sure which would have the lyrics you posted. From the phrasing I want to say it's The Stooges, but the words themselves don't match up.

Charleston Jew posted:

I was listening to a song on the local alternative station here (the kind that plays stuff like RHCP, Linkin Park, Modest Mouse, the bigger "indie" artists, etc) and I heard a song that seemed like a normal alt. rock song, maybe it would earn the label of indie, but the only lyric I remember had something to do with 'little kids playing' or maybe 'hanging out', something along those lines. I'm not even totally sure about this though, but it's worth a shot.

Wonderful by Everclear? 1979 by The Smashing Pumpkins? Island in the Sun by Weezer? Nostalgia is a huge theme in alt/indie rock so the more specific you can be the better. Did the group sound similar to anyone else and in what way? Any unusual instruments or other peculiarities you can recall?

Charleston Jew
Jul 31, 2005

oh my sloth!

Jive One posted:

Wonderful by Everclear? 1979 by The Smashing Pumpkins? Island in the Sun by Weezer? Nostalgia is a huge theme in alt/indie rock so the more specific you can be the better. Did the group sound similar to anyone else and in what way? Any unusual instruments or other peculiarities you can recall?
I had never heard this song on the station before, so no, it's not one of those classic alt. songs that gets overplayed, it's probably newer. Unfortunately the music itself wasn't particularly unique, although that does rule out a few songs.

latinotwink1997
Jan 2, 2008

Taste my Ball of Hope, foul dragon!

Edit: Nvm on this, I got it.

latinotwink1997 fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Aug 19, 2008

stray
Jun 28, 2005

"It's a jet pack, Michael. What could possibly go wrong?"
Man, I miss search. Apologies if this has been asked yet, but does anyone know what the stereotypical "striptease" music you see in old movies is? It's some sort of brass band thing, with a trombone leading with a big "Wwwwwwwwah-wah-wah, wah wah wah wah" in the first couple of bars.

Retroboy
Jul 12, 2006

Better a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy

stray posted:

Man, I miss search. Apologies if this has been asked yet, but does anyone know what the stereotypical "striptease" music you see in old movies is? It's some sort of brass band thing, with a trombone leading with a big "Wwwwwwwwah-wah-wah, wah wah wah wah" in the first couple of bars.

David Rose and His Orchestra - The Stripper

As seen in this brilliant sketch:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mXv8WW3Wjvw

Ivan Drago
Jan 17, 2003

Retroboy posted:

David Rose and His Orchestra - The Stripper

As seen in this brilliant sketch:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mXv8WW3Wjvw
I think it's Joe Loss and His Orchestra, but same difference. That's how they're listed on the Full Monty soundtrack anyway. Here's another completely random video featuring the song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QvG-dusB2ls

Edit: I guess Joe Loss popularized it or something. Regardless, it's the same tune and it's the stereotypical "stripper" standard, although there are tons of other songs from the big band genre that sound very similar.

Ivan Drago fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Aug 19, 2008

kundalini rinsing
Jun 3, 2007

DevilsFoodPlutonium posted:

I've been trying to find a song that was on a skittles commercial a few years ago in the US. In the ad skittles were raining from the sky and generally causing havoc all around, making cars crash and what have you. Meanwhile a bunch of happy skittle poppers were just walking through it all unscathed. The song is really laid back and a guy is singing about seeing angels and clouds up in the sky. There is a yahoo answers question that comes up on google that asks the exact same thing, but the question has been deleted. If anyone can help me figure this out it would solve a question that has been on my mind for years.

You might be thinking of "Such Great Heights", the original is by The Postal Service but the version on the Skittles commercial is a cover by Iron & Wine

keyboard
Jan 25, 2005

moo

omg! stop posting! posted:

With text description, I will attempt to convey the style of the vocalist's voice. Forgive me for vagueness.

Stab in the dark here: anything by Portishead? Although admittedly all of their stuff strikes me as modern...

Eat My Fuc
May 29, 2007

If anyone can help me find this song it would make me whole week!

On the radio I heard a slow piano song. There were no other instruments or vocals it was just piano, pretty sparse melody and mostly repeated itself through out the song. It sort of sounded like some of the music from Ken Burns civil war documentary. I know it has to be an incredibly famous piece, but I can't place it or really remember the melody all that well.

All I know is that it was sparse, repetitious and sounded pretty simple...I wish I could give you more.

EDIT: I just remembered it sort of sounds like the piano melody to "Mohammed's Radio" by Warren Zevon...if that helps!

Eat My Fuc fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Aug 19, 2008

New Frontiersman
Jan 13, 2007
still a whiny pussy

I can't get this song out of my head. You can hear it at around 12 seconds into this youtube clip from the Battle of Algiers.

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

All right, this has been bugging me since I heard it at the fireworks, and I finally found a video with the music audible. What's the name of the first song here? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s3Ui5jR4Qys (recognizable bit starts at 1:24 and goes till 2:40)

for sale
Nov 25, 2007
I AM A SHOPLIFTER
There's this one song on the radio that I think is catchy, really poppy R&B. It's sung by a male and female, both sound black and have british accents, or the girl at least does. Something about "american boy" or something, I can't really remember. The only reason I thought this vague description would yield anything is because it's getting alot of air time right now.

Other song is a techno track with it's main emphasis being this low male voice chanting "CO.....CAINE.....CO-CAINE" through the song.

Please help.

Retroboy
Jul 12, 2006

Better a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy

for sale posted:

There's this one song on the radio that I think is catchy, really poppy R&B. It's sung by a male and female, both sound black and have british accents, or the girl at least does. Something about "american boy" or something, I can't really remember. The only reason I thought this vague description would yield anything is because it's getting alot of air time right now.

Other song is a techno track with it's main emphasis being this low male voice chanting "CO.....CAINE.....CO-CAINE" through the song.

Please help.

Estelle Featuring Kanye West - American Boy

I doubt it but the second one could possibly be Renegade Soundwave - Cocaine Sex. Sure to be lots of songs that fit that decription however.

Abortion is Murder
Apr 4, 2005

ATTN any lurkers reading this: buy/make me a good avatar and ill adopt you probably
A rap song where the hook features the repeated line "Smoke dis funky joint" or "Smoke dis fuckin joint." I am almost positive it is not "Rock Dis Funky Joint" by the Poor Righteous Teachers

Fiveace Attorney
Dec 12, 2006

I ain't his friend! If you were to ask me if I was his friend, I would say "NO" to you!

New Frontiersman posted:

I can't get this song out of my head. You can hear it at around 12 seconds into this youtube clip from the Battle of Algiers.
http://swedenburg.blogspot.com/2008/07/battle-of-algiers-soundtrack.html. Apparently it's very difficult to find the original version of the song.

MetaKaiser
Jun 3, 2006
It's evolution, baby
Ok, I feel like this is going to sound retarded, but it's killing me. I used to have this game for Dreamcast called "Razor Freestyle Scooter" or something similar. The game was whatever, but the soundtrack was loving amazing. It's all this poppy-punk music, but it's addicting.

While I'd like the whole soundtrack, the one song that I want more than anything seems to not exist outside of that game. IIRC, the chorus to the song goes something like:

"So take back all the words that sounded like I had given up on you/if I had to spend another day without you I don't know what I would do/I just found all these letters from you and I know every one by heart"

Even knowing all of that, I still can't find it. Please let someone identify this before I lose my mind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pweller
Jan 25, 2006

Whatever whateva.

MetaKaiser posted:

Ok, I feel like this is going to sound retarded, but it's killing me. I used to have this game for Dreamcast called "Razor Freestyle Scooter" or something similar. The game was whatever, but the soundtrack was loving amazing. It's all this poppy-punk music, but it's addicting.

While I'd like the whole soundtrack, the one song that I want more than anything seems to not exist outside of that game. IIRC, the chorus to the song goes something like:

"So take back all the words that sounded like I had given up on you/if I had to spend another day without you I don't know what I would do/I just found all these letters from you and I know every one by heart"

Even knowing all of that, I still can't find it. Please let someone identify this before I lose my mind.

Never Too Late - I'm Not Giving Up On This One
lyrics