Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Backno
Dec 1, 2007

Goff Boyz iz da rudest Boyz

SKA SUCKS

gerfatty posted:

Yeah I don't really know what the deal was. That's what I was expecting as well, not so much the typical high school ska crowd. I'm just lamenting the fact that apparently I'm officially too old to be into ska.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aWUdu-nwkqU
you are never to old to dance to ska.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WaffleZombie
May 10, 2003

"Identity Crisis" Murderer Wild Guess #333:Prince "Lady Killer Charming "Well, I AM the Adversa"

Backno posted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aWUdu-nwkqU
you are never to old to dance to ska.

That guy is hilarious, I think he's up in the North Jersey area. I've seen him at several shows both in Philly and up in Sayresville, and it's always good for a laugh.

I think it finally hit me that the crowd is much younger than my spry 27 was two shows last summer - Dan Potthast/Rick Johnson and some locals, and BTMI and some locals. For both shows, their were more band members in the bar area than anyone else. Also, both times, I was acquainted with the other 2-5 people in the bar.

FeatherPants
Feb 24, 2007
'wicked' is an adverb too

WaffleZombie posted:

That guy is hilarious, I think he's up in the North Jersey area. I've seen him at several shows both in Philly and up in Sayresville, and it's always good for a laugh.

He is from Connecticut ;D
http://www.myspace.com/skankinrich

He was at the Hometown Throwdown for at least one of the nights and he skanked with me and a friend in a tiny circle.

Backno
Dec 1, 2007

SKA SUCKS
so I have to ask...how was ska weekend?

Josh Wow
Feb 28, 2005

We need more beer up here!

Backno posted:

so I have to ask...how was ska weekend?

I had a great time not just playing but watching a ton of great bands. I know a lot of people were bummed that there weren't any really big bands, but I honestly enjoyed this year a lot more than last year. I think Detonate may have been the band I enjoyed the most, they're super tight and just amazing live. I saw Green Room Rockers for the first time and they were killer live, and Hub city Stompers really surprised me because I don't normally enjoy them that much but they were great. Royal City Riot was also a present surprise because I didn't like them that much last year but they were awesome this year. The only real dissapointment I had was Stuck Lucky, they have a new drummer and they weren't nearly as tight as they normally are and he was playing really simplified versions of their old drummers drumlines.

Backno
Dec 1, 2007

SKA SUCKS

Josh Wow posted:

I had a great time not just playing but watching a ton of great bands. I know a lot of people were bummed that there weren't any really big bands, but I honestly enjoyed this year a lot more than last year. I think Detonate may have been the band I enjoyed the most, they're super tight and just amazing live. I saw Green Room Rockers for the first time and they were killer live, and Hub city Stompers really surprised me because I don't normally enjoy them that much but they were great. Royal City Riot was also a present surprise because I didn't like them that much last year but they were awesome this year. The only real dissapointment I had was Stuck Lucky, they have a new drummer and they weren't nearly as tight as they normally are and he was playing really simplified versions of their old drummers drumlines.

well I saw Detonate ,Stuck Lucky, and Fatter than Albert like 2 weekes ago and I agree on Detonate and Stuck Lucky. And GRR are from Indiana and I still need to see them when I get a chance. How was the new venue/stage set-up.

fake edit: sorry about all the questions...drat having to plan my wedding in a month

Josh Wow
Feb 28, 2005

We need more beer up here!

Backno posted:

well I saw Detonate ,Stuck Lucky, and Fatter than Albert like 2 weekes ago and I agree on Detonate and Stuck Lucky. And GRR are from Indiana and I still need to see them when I get a chance. How was the new venue/stage set-up.

fake edit: sorry about all the questions...drat having to plan my wedding in a month

I liked the new venue and stage set up a whole lot. In years past a lot of the times you'd be missing bands because there was 4 stages going and you had to decide who you'd like to see more. This year there were 3 stages, with the 3rd stage ending sometime midday and it worked out so there was only 1 band I wanted to see that I missed part of their set. The venue itself was really nice, being on grass is a lot easier to stand around on all day rather than concrete. The only thing I didn't like about the new venue was that at the old one there was that restaurant (Barleys?) where you could go to cool down and grab a bite to eat and a beer if you wanted. They still had food but it was stuff like hot dogs and funnel cake. Overall though the new place was way nicer.

Backno
Dec 1, 2007

SKA SUCKS
That sounds great. I missed out on bands like Eastern Standard Time or your band because other ones where playing that I HAD to see. Hopefully next year they do the same thing. Thanks Josh Wow.

Mysterious Aftertaste
May 20, 2004

So Marigold, my love, you've had too much to drink...

I know they're barely even ska-influenced now, but I just got back from an awesome RX Bandits concert. It was the best concert I've seen all year. The ending with Infection was amazing.

The first opening band (Facing New York) was pretty bad, and the second one (Portugal) was alright. Portugal's lead singer/guitarist never faced the crowd the whole set :?:

mix.lunar
Aug 15, 2007
Possible stage fright. I can't look at people when I play for my friends and family so I end of staring at the guitar the whole time. I'd probably do that too if I was ever up on stage.

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT

gerfatty posted:

Well, then I'm not too old. I still dance like complete fool.

drat straight. If you ask me the kids don't even know how to do it properly. Too much running on the spot, not enough hopping about and flailing.

[DISCLAIMER: Tongue in cheek post, before someone starts trying to get on my case about how "you can't define skanking" or some other such bollocks]

mix.lunar posted:

Possible stage fright. I can't look at people when I play for my friends and family so I end of staring at the guitar the whole time. I'd probably do that too if I was ever up on stage.

You might not find that you know. I'm better with bigger audiences, it's less personal. I've been totally comfortable doing festivals in front of a couple of thousand people, however I'm poo poo scared of doing an acoustic set down my local pub. I even clam up if my girlfriend asks me to play her a song.

chippy fucked around with this message at 09:04 on Jul 25, 2008

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

Mysterious Aftertaste posted:

I know they're barely even ska-influenced now, but I just got back from an awesome RX Bandits concert. It was the best concert I've seen all year. The ending with Infection was amazing.

The first opening band (Facing New York) was pretty bad, and the second one (Portugal) was alright. Portugal's lead singer/guitarist never faced the crowd the whole set :?:
I'm going to their show in Baltimore on the 29th, glad to hear they're in good form. Anyone else going?

Dirty Needles
Jul 3, 2008

Blocko posted:

I don't know if anybody has mentioned them yet, but I'm going to reccomend Sonic Boom Six.

I really can't recommend this band enough, I love them to bits. I've seen them every opportunity I get and they are always fantastic.. They are doing wonders in the UK scene :)

Not sure if anybody here is too much into the UK stuff but I just got the final Howards Alias album through this week (Epiphanic), a fantastic album to go out with but still makes me sad that I wont see any new stuff from them :(

Mysterious Aftertaste
May 20, 2004

guppy posted:

I'm going to their show in Baltimore on the 29th, glad to hear they're in good form. Anyone else going?

It was an older and more friendly crowd too. Don't get me wrong, it was one of the biggest mosh pits I've ever seen at that venue, but everyone was very kind. At most ska shows people will just push you over, don't help people that fall back up, and generally are assholes.

Glomper Squeeman
Jun 11, 2006

The cat does not see the cliff.
Just saw the Aquabats yesterday at the San Diego House of Blues, and they played their Aquabats! Supershow! pilot. (This is only the second half, they played the live action part at the concert also.) The crowd was great, plenty of guys dressed up, but unfortunately there was no skank-pit.
It was sold out because of Comic-Con and I managed to get the second-to-last ticket :coolfish:.

dAPER
Apr 21, 2005

haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaats
Saw Suburban Legends, Big D, Goldfinger and Less Than Jake this week in Tempe. Minus my friend getting clocked by an idiot not looking to see if there was more than one person there waiting to catch him BEFORE stage diving, it was an amazing show. I do have to say, Suburban Legends stole it right from the start. I was there for Goldfinger, so I wasn't so sad that I missed Less Than Jake while I was waiting with her, nursing her noggin with ice. She ended up at the hospital later, but thankfully she didn't have a concussion. Overall, totally worth the money.

Back in high school, my friends from band had a ska band here in PHX called The Flesh Eating Monkeys. They were just amazingly hilarious. Even though they haven't been a band for years now they have a myspace with all their old tunes. Peter Pan Kicked My Butt at Basketball is one of my favorites. They later changed their name to Phoenix City Ska Ambassadors, but it never really went anywhere since ska was fading out. The drummer is now in another band, 32 Leaves, which is as far from ska as you can possibly get.

hedgecore
May 2, 2004

WaffleZombie posted:

I think it finally hit me that the crowd is much younger than my spry 27 was two shows last summer - Dan Potthast/Rick Johnson and some locals, and BTMI and some locals. For both shows, their were more band members in the bar area than anyone else. Also, both times, I was acquainted with the other 2-5 people in the bar.

Do we know each other? My band definitely opened up that Dan Potthast/Rick Johnson show and we've opened for BTMI at least 4 or 5 times in the area.

WaffleZombie
May 10, 2003

"Identity Crisis" Murderer Wild Guess #333:Prince "Lady Killer Charming "Well, I AM the Adversa"

hedgecore posted:

Do we know each other? My band definitely opened up that Dan Potthast/Rick Johnson show and we've opened for BTMI at least 4 or 5 times in the area.

Well, I saw the show in Philly, and I think you guys opened the show in North Jersey. I've been meaning to see you guys for awhile, but it's just never worked out. So it's possible we've met, but at the very least, I know Coleman, who I'd imagine you do know. Have you made it down to any Philly shows?

As for Skankin' Rich, drat that guy travels. I know I've seen him at least once, maybe twice in Philly.

And I went to Warped Tour on Friday. It was totally worth it, if just to see Oreskaband. All-female Japanese pop-ska, similar to Yum! Yum! Orange. They totally stole the show. And for the first time in like forever, they didn't have any ska bands overlapping. Actually, of the 7 bands I wanted to see, there was only 1 overlap, and no huge 2 hour gap in between sets I wanted to see.

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

WaffleZombie posted:

And I went to Warped Tour on Friday. It was totally worth it, if just to see Oreskaband. All-female Japanese pop-ska, similar to Yum! Yum! Orange. They totally stole the show. And for the first time in like forever, they didn't have any ska bands overlapping. Actually, of the 7 bands I wanted to see, there was only 1 overlap, and no huge 2 hour gap in between sets I wanted to see.

Goddamn, this is making me regret seeing Against Me! over Oreskaband. All my friends wanted to see AM! and I didn't want to see Oreskaband alone. I didn't even get to see all of Reel Big Fish's set, a friend of ours was crowd-surfing and landed on her back in the middle of a pit.

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

Sandwolf posted:

Goddamn, this is making me regret seeing Against Me! over Oreskaband. All my friends wanted to see AM! and I didn't want to see Oreskaband alone. I didn't even get to see all of Reel Big Fish's set, a friend of ours was crowd-surfing and landed on her back in the middle of a pit.

Wow if she managed to crowd surf into the middle of the pit before she fell she has some skill.

BlandMan123
Nov 29, 2004
I guess the holidays are over for them.

I must emphatically employ you to give Facing New York a second chance. They grew out of my local scene four or so years ago from the ashes of a local favorite, and are an amazingly talented band. Listen to the song "Full Turn" if you don't believe me. Sometimes, they completely gently caress up live and give a horrible performance (although when they're on, they are ON), and I can imagine that if you saw them opening for an even kind of ska band, you'd be confused and pissed off. But you should at least try some of their recorded stuff (this goes for everyone!).

Sorry for the derail. Josh, I just bought Life of the Party from AmazonMP3. Thanks for putting it there, I'm really loving it so far! It totally reeks of the third-wave ska energy that I crave, but is so hard to find in its purest form outside of a few specific bands. You guys have captured it really well, and it's all catchy as hell to boot. Nicely done.

BlandMan123 fucked around with this message at 09:54 on Jul 28, 2008

Mysterious Aftertaste
May 20, 2004

Well, everything they said that was "on their new album" was awful. I remember one being called "Cops on Bikes" and it was just terrible.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
I've been checking out Sonic Boom Six thanks to the recommendations in this thread, so thanks for that. I picked up Arcade Perfect and I like it.

Here's a video of Laila singing "She Has A Girlfriend Now" with Reel Big Fish:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F7dVvHvPBiY

BlandMan123
Nov 29, 2004
I guess the holidays are over for them.

Well, everything they said that was "on their new album" was awful. I remember one being called "Cops on Bikes" and it was just terrible.

That album is not yet released, and I haven't heard any of it (it's been a while since I've seen them live). It could well be awful, and I'll be disappointed if that's the case. But, still, I can't help but recommend all of the material they've released this far. It's really stellar stuff.

hedgecore
May 2, 2004

WaffleZombie posted:

Well, I saw the show in Philly, and I think you guys opened the show in North Jersey. I've been meaning to see you guys for awhile, but it's just never worked out. So it's possible we've met, but at the very least, I know Coleman, who I'd imagine you do know. Have you made it down to any Philly shows?

As for Skankin' Rich, drat that guy travels. I know I've seen him at least once, maybe twice in Philly.

Ah... yeah I'm buddies with Coleman. Haven't seen him in months though since we went bowling during the BTMI!/OPioneers!!! tour. Tell him sneve says hey if you run into him. And that he sucks.

I haven't been to a Philly area ska show in years.. the last one I saw was Catch 22, Big D, Suicide Machines, AAA, Mustard Plug, Planet Smashers and the Code years ago at the Trocadero. I'd kill for that lineup again. It's just too far and usually I can go to a NYC or NJ date instead. I was in Wilkes Barre for the BTMI/Queers/Andrew Jackson Jihad show, although I don't know if that's even close to you.

And Skankin Rich came to one of our shows in CT a while ago... I think his car has the MU330 license plates, but I'm not sure.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
Saw the Rx Bandits last night, lots of fun. They packed the Ottobar pretty good. Played most of my favorite songs, including Nugget, Sell You Beautiful, Apparition, In Her Drawer and Only For The Night. They didn't play my favorite of theirs (Status), but everything else was awesome. :)

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy
New Streetlight dates:

12 Oct - Cleveland, OH
VENUE: Agora
INFO: w/ HiFi Handgrenades, The Swellers, The AKA's
TICKETS: BUY NOW

13 Oct - Grand Rapids, MI
VENUE: Intersection

14 Oct - Omaha, NE
VENUE: Sokol Underground

15 Oct - Denver, CO
VENUE: Bluebird

16 Oct - Salt Lake City, UT
VENUE: Avalon

17 Oct - Phoenix, AZ
VENUE: Brickhouse

18 Oct - Los Angeles, CA
VENUE: Key Club

19 Oct - San Diego, CA
VENUE: House of Blues

30 Oct - Sydney, AU
VENUE: Annandale Hotel
INFO: w/ The Resignators and Dan Potthast / 18 & UP

31 Oct - Brisbane, AU
VENUE: Rossies Bar Spring Hill
INFO: w/ The Resignators and Dan Potthast / 18 & UP HALLOWEEN SHOW!

01 Nov - Melbourne, AU
VENUE: Melbourne Bizarre Music Festival

02 Nov - TBA, AU
VENUE: TBA

03 Nov - Melbourne, AU
VENUE: DV8 Night Club

04 Nov - Melbourne, AU
VENUE: Tote Collingwood
INFO: w/ The Resignators and Dan Potthast / ALL AGES

07 Nov - Nagoya, JP
VENUE: Apollo Theater
INFO: TBA

08 Nov - Shiga, JP
INFO: TBA

09 Nov - Osaka, JP
INFO: w/ Dan Potthast & TBA

10 Nov - TBA, JP

11 Nov - TBA, JP

12 Nov - Hamamatsu, JP
VENUE: Mescaline Drive

13 Nov - Kofu, JP
VENUE: Kazoo Hall

14 Nov - Yokohama, JP
VENUE: Fad

15 Nov - Tokyo, JP
VENUE: Phase

01 Dec - Southampton, UK
VENUE: The Brook
INFO: w/ Random Hand & Dan Potthast

02 Dec - Exeter, UK
VENUE: Hub

03 Dec - Swansea, UK
VENUE: Sin City

04 Dec - Bristol, UK
VENUE: Croft

05 Dec - Norwich, UK
VENUE: Queen Charlotte

06 Dec - Birmingham, UK
VENUE: Asylum

07 Dec - Manchester, UK
VENUE: Satan's Hollow

08 Dec - Newcastle, UK
VENUE: Carling Academy 2

09 Dec - Leeds, UK
VENUE: Cockpit

10 Dec - Glasgow, UK
VENUE: Ivory Blacks

11 Dec - Leicester, UK
VENUE: Charlotte

12 Dec - Milton Keynes, UK
VENUE: Pitz

13 Dec - London, UK
VENUE: Underworld

A standalone Streetlight show! KICKASS!

a slime
Apr 11, 2005

Well, I know what I'm doing on Christmas break!

edit: motherfucking Potthast

a slime fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Aug 3, 2008

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

"You can see how they go from being so sweet to tearing your face off,
just like that,
and it's amazing to have that range."

Thunderdome Exclusive

Man the Aquabats need to go on tour soon!

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

FloppyDiskCommando posted:

Man the Aquabats need to go on tour soon!

They're going to do a couple stops here and there.

mix.lunar
Aug 15, 2007

Harmonix posted:

IGN: And if you feel it was a success, might we see more ska tracks as DLC in the future?

Brosious: Yep. Hit me with some suggestions.

Harmonix posted:

IGN: Not to harp on it, but why the Bosstones? Was there ever a consideration for a 2 Tone ska song like The Specials' "Gangsters" or English Beat's "Mirror in the Bathroom"?

Brosious: Oh. Yeah, and we'll get to them. Being from Boston, we went with The Bosstones this time.

Hell yea! Door opened for ska in RB.

Backno
Dec 1, 2007

SKA SUCKS

mix.lunar posted:

Hell yea! Door opened for ska in RB.

For most of those song the guitar line are going to be pretty boring won't they.
Anyway I still think it's freaking sweet.

Mysterious Aftertaste
May 20, 2004

Don't those games already have both guitar and bass on some songs as the buttons?

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy

Backno posted:

For most of those song the guitar line are going to be pretty boring won't they.

I would love to see Where Have You Been? & Beer.

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

"You can see how they go from being so sweet to tearing your face off,
just like that,
and it's amazing to have that range."

Thunderdome Exclusive

Backno posted:

I have a friend who can do all those ridiculous metal songs with those messes of notes but he can't get a handle on offbeats. Its slightly funny.

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

As long as I have many songs where I can pretend to be Joe Gittleman the Bass Fiddleman I'll be happy.

lessthankyle
Dec 19, 2002

SKA SUCKS
Soiled Meat

FateoMcSkippy posted:

As long as I have many songs where I can pretend to be Joe Gittleman the Bass Fiddleman I'll be happy.

I'm pretty terrible at those games, so I'll be Ben Carr.

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

Once RB2 comes out I'm going to start an online Bosstones band. We need a a Dicky Barrett, a Lawrence Katz, and a Joe Sirois to round out the band. Accepting sign ups now.

edit: and you should be able to play your instrument on expert.

Fateo McMurray fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Aug 18, 2008

WaffleZombie
May 10, 2003

hedgecore posted:

Ah... yeah I'm buddies with Coleman. Haven't seen him in months though since we went bowling during the BTMI!/OPioneers!!! tour. Tell him sneve says hey if you run into him. And that he sucks.

I haven't been to a Philly area ska show in years.. the last one I saw was Catch 22, Big D, Suicide Machines, AAA, Mustard Plug, Planet Smashers and the Code years ago at the Trocadero. I'd kill for that lineup again. It's just too far and usually I can go to a NYC or NJ date instead. I was in Wilkes Barre for the BTMI/Queers/Andrew Jackson Jihad show, although I don't know if that's even close to you.

And Skankin Rich came to one of our shows in CT a while ago... I think his car has the MU330 license plates, but I'm not sure.

Yeah, Coleman kind of dropped off the earth for awhile there. When I was at State College, I drove over to Wilkes Barre for the Streetlight/Big D show on that early "Hey, we're SL, and we might never tour! Okay, maybe just this once or twice!" tour. After that drive, I got there to stand in line only for tickets to sell out like 10 people in front of me. I stuck around, and thankfully someone sold me their wrist band after the openers played. It's an easy enough drive from DE, but I refuse to go there again until those fuckers start selling advance tickets.

I saw that article on IGN today too, and I was really excited. Down in Flames, pretty please.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChristianDB
Jun 29, 2008
caught bad ash a few weeks ago at a bbq. Pretty good, first ska act I've seen in a few years. They were annoying but fun

edit
I always wanted to voice this but in my many circle of friends no one listens to ska, this is about big d.

Is it just me but from the one album I've listened to do they would have a great riff, with muscle where it makes you kinda go 'hell yea" only they would then water it down with the "ska" part. Always disappointed me and was wondering if it was just that cd or if it was just me.

I've seen big D live and they really know how to put on a fantastic show, audience is usually really happy and awesome.

I always wanted to catch them with ASOB but never got the chance. when ASOB broke up so did my dreams :(

ChristianDB fucked around with this message at 06:18 on Aug 19, 2008